PDA

View Full Version : Confused again, cardio fat loss question,

jds22
08-16-2002, 08:01 AM
I have been doing cardio not for the cardiovascular benefits but just to lose body fat. I recently read that if I keep my heart rate up to high I will be using glycogen for energy instead of fat. Is this true? If so what % heart rate should I shoot for to burn fat most effeciently? BTW my cardio sessions are right when I wake up, on an empty stomach, 30 to 50 min.

Thanks,
Jerry

Stray
08-16-2002, 08:19 AM
I think you may be over analysing it.Do you do interval training when doing aerobics? If so then don't worry about your heart rate % and just get a good sweat going.

jds22
08-16-2002, 08:28 AM
I do intervals. Usually with a peak every 4 minutes. My heart rate is usually around 160bpm for the duration of the session.

Jerry

Paul Stagg
08-16-2002, 08:31 AM
that's fine. It's about burning off calories, not what the calories are.

Your body will always be using glycogen and fat for fuel.. the ratio of the two will vary.

In the grans scheme of things, you need to use more calories than you eat to drop bodyfat.

Interval training is ace.

08-16-2002, 08:38 AM
perhaps a high intensity session raising bpm will burn slightly more glycogen at the time than than if you were to do it slower. Its debatable.
However, in the long run of a day, the higher the intensity, the greater your metabolism has been raised.

Thats why HIIT (high intensity interval training) is now getting recognized as a superior form of cardio. Its a quick session but should get your heart pumping like no other and help you burn some extra fat all day. The smaller duration (normally 15-20min) also helps you sustain more muscle mass whilst doing the exercise.

jds22
08-16-2002, 08:45 AM
Could you give me an example of an HIIT routine? Would it be the same as I am doing only more intense and for a shorter period of time? I'm all about less time with better results. :D

Jerry

LAM
08-16-2002, 08:52 AM
jds22...if you are talking about high-intensity cardio that is the case but not with low and moderate-intensity cardio...

jds22
08-16-2002, 09:02 AM
I just read an article on HIIT. :eek: Does this really work? I have been trying to up my cardio times to the 40min and 50min mark thinking I would lose more body fat. Gonna give HIIT a try first thing tomorrow morning. I can't wait to see if it does in fact speed up the waist shrinking phase I am in.

Thanks again,
Jerry