PDA

View Full Version : BP vs. HR

Budiak
05-30-2001, 02:30 AM
Is there a big difference between blood pressure and heart rate? Is there much of a correllation?

Most of all...why is high blood pressure the silent killer?

hemants
05-30-2001, 08:35 AM
I'm not a doctor, but high blood pressure is usually a sign of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).

My understanding is that the arteries are constricted and blood is forced through a smaller diameter therefore pressure is increased.

This taxes the heart and may result in the heart not getting enough oxygen.

The correlation between high blood pressure and risk of heart disease is not 1 for 1. There are many factors at play, blood cholesterol levels, stress, heredity etc.

check out www.heartinfo.org for more.

Taras
05-30-2001, 08:35 PM
Blood pressure and heart rate aren't really correlated. High blood pressure is one of the primary underlying causes of heart disease, stroke, and kidney disease. It's called "the silent killer" because it usually doesn't cause any symptoms. One of the things that can cause high blood pressure is anabolic steroids, so anyone on steroids should get their blood pressure checked.

SweatHawg
05-31-2001, 06:53 PM
Yep, but AS themselves aren't what increase your BP.
The excess fluid you retain from gear increases BP,not to mention stress,diets high in sodium,smoking & other factors. I have hypertension that is controlled by meds & cutting out salt(damnitt!)
I have seen people come through the hospital in their 20's & 30's that have suffered a stroke but that is not the norm.