PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Sleep Meals

flake
08-19-2002, 06:42 PM
I know this has prob been asked before (in fact I may have posted a thread on this a while back) but I'm thinking about it - setting my alarm for exactly 4 hours after I go to sleep, getting out of bed having something like a few chicken tortillas, going back to bed and getting up 4 hrs later for a proper breakfast.

thoughts?

IceRgrrl
08-19-2002, 06:46 PM
If you happen to wake up (to pee, to ponder philosophical questions, to engage in anxious fretting), then go ahead and eat. Otherwise, just sleep...the rest will do you good. :)

ryuage
08-19-2002, 06:47 PM
i dont think I have ever went that full 8 hours without waking up at least once unless i drug myself haha...

IceRgrrl
08-19-2002, 06:51 PM
Me either...but it's always a nice thought. :)

flake
08-19-2002, 06:53 PM
you see thanks where my pondering comes in, I generally sleep straight through till my alarm, dont even wake to pee. But if anything I think breaking my sleep up would stopped me oversleeping, which I have a bad habbit of doing :)

Plus sleep cycle patterning means 2 x 4 hrs is not that much diff to 1 x 8hrs. Dunno if I could be arsed though.

Wizard
08-19-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by flake
I know this has prob been asked before (in fact I may have posted a thread on this a while back) but I'm thinking about it - setting my alarm for exactly 4 hours after I go to sleep, getting out of bed having something like a few chicken tortillas, going back to bed and getting up 4 hrs later for a proper breakfast.

thoughts?

Excuse me but that's totally useless. Do not attempt it. Tortillas or REM??

Even if it happens and you wake up,avoid to consume a food like that.A low cal protein shake is the best you can consume.

Puttn
08-20-2002, 06:59 AM
id say set your alarm for when you wanna wake up that away you wont oversleep.. dont wake urself int he night just sleep as long as you can if you get up to pee just drink some water and go back to sleep.... or make a protein drink put ice cubes in it.. drink it if you wake up... if you dont wake up its easy to down first thing in morning before breakfast

Wizard
08-20-2002, 08:09 AM
Well said.
throws hat up in air

MWB
08-20-2002, 03:11 PM
I wake up 2-3 times a night just because I can never seem to sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time. When I do wake up, I have a few spoonfulls a cottage cheese, which is about 1/2 cup to 1 cup.

beastin v6
08-21-2002, 11:18 AM
cutting does that to me..i though i was alone..im soo hungry from my cutting diet..that my body tells me eat eat, and i get up like 4 times a night..i eat whatever i see..thats why im going to screw cutting!

LAM
08-21-2002, 11:22 AM
If your schedule is constant and you still need an alarm to wake up that is a sign that your sleep is insufficient for your needs.

I would go to bed earlier and not bother with getting up in the middle of the night to eat...

DcK
08-21-2002, 01:17 PM
I think if you have no problems sleeping throughout the night, you should definately NOT set your alarm clock an interrupt your sleep. Doing so will interrupt the REM and Delta sleep cycles in your brain and after a few weeks of this you'll probably be so "tired" that you'll quit doing it.

However, if you naturally get up in the middle of the night, to use the restroom or whatever, a shake would be the best choice. I'd recommend a MRP or blended protein shake that has casein/milk isolate, this will last most of the for 4 hours before a catabolic state ensues. Might also want to dump a teaspoon - tablespoon of flax oil, this will also slow the processing through your system. And for good measure, it'd be a good idea to through in some glutamine as well! And, lastly wash down your shake with another 12+ ounces of water, do you'll avoid the dehydration that comes about from sleeping.

There's a pretty good article on this subject:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/satter1.htm