PDA

View Full Version : HEY, why not.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18

WillKuenzel
03-26-2003, 04:39 AM
I thought when you showed a pic of the one you had it was able to move each arm independently. I need to start reading better. The only one my gym has is this one. Its a good machine but moves a little funny as you pull it back as it tends to move away from your body just a little, like its at an angle. That's way I prefer to do it one armed because that way I can sit closer to one side or the other and keep it in tight.

David
03-26-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Narcissus

i think alex means "except all back exercises" except sumos .

when a man is right, he is right.

All right - so you are stronger.

But...let me ask you this.

Who would win a fight between Narc and Belial?;) ;)

I say Belial cause all he would have to do is tip you over, lol!

Narcissus
03-26-2003, 09:12 PM
right. :rolleyes:

Alex.V
03-26-2003, 09:14 PM
He can do some badass aikido rolls, tripleP. Just ask anybody in the gym.

Narcissus
03-26-2003, 09:22 PM
ha ha.

yes, and i can also do some badass grab your wrist, break your forearm, dislocate your shoulder, and crack your skull open aikido stuff.

Alex.V
03-26-2003, 09:24 PM
Dude, all somebody's gotta do now is jump on your back. You'd never reach him.

Narcissus
03-26-2003, 09:28 PM
i will crunch my lats back in an erector flex. problem solved. no more monkey on my back.

Budiak
03-27-2003, 01:52 AM
I'll strap on some crampons, hammer in a steak, and repell off of your ass cheek. You'd never even know of my presence. But I feel Webb would see me when you guys....

I believe I've said enough. :D

David
03-27-2003, 07:16 AM
If Narc was after you all you would have to is throw a steak or some sausage in his direction and that should keep him busy until you can get away!:D

Alex.V
03-27-2003, 06:49 PM
Enough weirdness in my journal. For now.

It was a beautiful, beautiful day. I went much later than usual so I could lift with narc and... ****, i'm gonna start using y'all's real names. CG deadlifted with me while the other kids did some shoulders.

And... damn, I'm stoked. Got a good pull in, I figured I'd be tired this late in the day, but this was not the case. My max went up smooth, and my grip was a little iffy (too little chalk, and it was HOT in the gym... palms sweaty), so I dropped the bar too fast, but still, it was locked.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 2, 650 x 1 (!)

Room to spare, I think. Were my grip solid, I had another 5-10 in me, I think. Yanked my calves a bit during the lockout, though, which was painful. But still... nice lift. Thanks for being there for the support, guys. I think I'm gonna do these with you all in the gym every week, it helps a sh*tload.

Conventional pull:

525 x 1

Rah. Easy.

Back to sumo:

525 x 4.5

Again, not enough chalk, and my right hand slipped off. No biggie, I was exhausted.

Lateral raises:

50 x 10, 55 x 8, 45 x 12

Tremendously thrilling.

Bent-over lateral raises:

50 x 8, 55 x 8

All the blood went to my head. I felt like passing out. I think I shoulda eaten more early in the day.

Calf raises:

Stack x 9

They were still hurting, I figured I could stretch them out, but it was almost a bad pain. Cut these short, I'll take it real easy this sunday.

Hanging leg raises:

10, 10

Good contraction on them. I was beat, and ran outta steam, so I didn't do a third set.

Diet- Excellent.

Sleep- 6.5 hours. Doh.

And that's about it. I am completely spent.

BCC
03-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Bad ass pull B.

Of course now, you know that.

Hercule
03-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Damn, thats just freakin awesome. 650lbs. :eek: Keep up the good work man. Another month or 2 and you will have an easy 700lbs.

Pup
03-27-2003, 07:09 PM
You iz a bad mofo :bow:

WillKuenzel
03-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Nice pulling! That's incredible. :bow:

carolinagirl
03-27-2003, 09:13 PM
I already told you this, but it bears saying again.

:thumbup:

Amazing pull.

And thanks again - it was fun. I always have to run off, though, and I hate that - it always cuts short some interesting conversation. :mad: When Icer and Franji get here, hopefully we'll all be able to get together - then we can all gab as long as we want. Preferably over lots of beer!

Escape01
03-27-2003, 09:33 PM
Alex,

congrats again on the pull...it was awesome to see. hope you'll be back in there w/ us on thursdays

IceRgrrl
03-28-2003, 07:56 AM
Nice workout, Alex...so much for resting YOUR injuries :p

And Franji's going to be down that way too? The same time that I am? That would be too cool :)

ectx
03-28-2003, 06:15 PM
I think I predicted this a while back. I'm psychic dammit...nah, your strength gains are just predictable, and inspiring. Meathead. *grumble grumble*

Miss Rezza
03-28-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Belial
Deadlifts:

650 x 1 (!)

Alex, I don't understand how you can even fit that much weight onto the bar!! :scratch: :eek:

Miss Rezza
03-28-2003, 08:51 PM
oh yeah, btw nice pull! :p

carolinagirl
03-28-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
Franji's going to be down that way too? The same time that I am?

I dunno if it's the exact same weekend or not, but it's around the same time. It would be cool if it was! :D

Magnus
03-29-2003, 12:51 AM
B Nice lift! 650 didn't take long :) 700 is next...

Also what's your cycle/pill intake/supplement use?

Narcissus
03-29-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Magnus
Also what's your cycle/pill intake/supplement use?

i think, and i may be wrong here, that he is doing 50mg of midol per day. he may have upped his dosage though - i have noticed that he is not as pissy lately.

Magnus
03-29-2003, 01:12 AM
He should donate some of that to you

MonStar
03-29-2003, 06:38 AM
Nice pull B! :thumbup::thumbup:

Alex.V
03-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys... it's an amazing feeling to be that close to 7 plates... something I could only dream about a year ago. I appreciate the props from everybody. Jonathan, I'll definitely be in there with you guys from now on on thursdays...

Narc, it's not the midol that's helping. Every night I flick on lifetime and have a good cry. it helps settle me down.

And I didn't have a bad chest workout at all. My wrist now no longer bothers me during bench...only when there's sideways/shear force.

BB bench:

135 x 12, 225 x 12, 315 x 2, 340 x 1, 380 x 1 (!), 315 x 3, 225 x 6+6 paused (4 second hold)

Benching felt solid today. I dropped a little too fast on the 340 and almost lost balance, but 380 was tight. Slow, but tight.

My bench is stagnating. Something must be done.

Seated skullcrushers:

175 x 10, 175 x 6

My triceps were still hurting from those paused bench.

DB flyes:

75 x 10, 75 x 8, 70 x 8

Not too bad... these felt tougher than usual, but... I think I was doing them a little deeper than normal. Maybe because a few friends were there, so I had somewhat of an audience and didn't want to get shoddy on form.

One-handed pushdowns:

160 x 8/8, 140 x 7/7, 120 x 7/7, 100 x 10/10

Solid as ever. Form was beautiful, and they were HARD.

DB front raises:

55 x 8/8, 50 x 8/8, 45 x 10/10

These sets feel REALLY long for some reason. blech.

Cuban rotations:

65 x 4, 75 x 4, 85 x 3, 95 x 3, 105 x 2

Just messing around with these. Bolstering my rotator strength a little bit now that they're pretty close to 100%. Felt the right muscles working, with zero pain.

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

Other- I went tanning yesterday and burned my ass again. God damn it.

But I still fully plan on sitting out by the pool today.. if I can shower and get out there before the sun goes down. God, I'm lazy.

Isaac Wilkins
03-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Hey Belial, I have a question for you on your one-handed pressdowns:

What do you do with your off hand? *Nice, high set for Narc*

Seriously, though. Do you lace it across your body and put it behind the working elbow, put it on your hip, or run it behind you? Or even a fourth placement?

I tend to put it behind the working arm for stabilization, but I know some people basically leave it hanging.

MonStar
03-29-2003, 07:12 PM
Nice work B on 380, extremely impressive man. Your bench and deadlift are friggin' insane. Keep up the hard work.

I cant wait to see you pressing 4 plates on side.

BTW, do you touch the bar to your chest or go ~1" above your chest. I have seen people do both. Some people think that an inch up is harder because you dont have as much of a reflex action off your chest.

Also, did you get a lift-off with 380?

Narcissus
03-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Borris
*Nice, high set for Narc*

all the blood from my brain must still be in my hamstrings. i know i hate when people ask me to explain my subtle jokes...but would you mind clarifying?

:confused:

Isaac Wilkins
03-29-2003, 07:47 PM

all the blood from my brain must still be in my hamstrings. i know i hate when people ask me to explain my subtle jokes...but would you mind clarifying?

:confused:

tuttut Don't let Cgirl catch you slipping.

Now, in your common line of humor, he has one hand doing the pressdown. The other hand is elsewhere. What could he be doing with it?

Don't make me be vulgar. It's unbecoming of a fine, upstanding young man, like myself. :D

Alex.V
03-30-2003, 01:25 PM
Monstar, it ain't legal unless it touches the chest. Touch and go.

Borris, the free arm is gripping a handhold on the crossover apparatus itself. Helps stabilize my whole body.

Good leg day, too. I was going to go light, since my belt has been giving me trouble... but when I got there, I felt pretty good. Decided that it'd be fine if I just made it very clear to my spotters that, if my belt went, they should grab it.

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 2, 520 x 1 (!)

Not too bad. Had a little to spare, and THE BELT STAYED ON. I had three people there... two spotting me, and one checking for depth. I showed the girl checking for depth exactly how far down I wanted to go, and she said I actually went a bit lower on the rep. Felt deep as hell to me. Granted, she's no judge, but that's good enough for me. The 520 was with knee wraps (not as tight as possible), and a sh*t belt. I think I need to get myself a suit at some point.

SLDLs:

405 x 10

That was enough. My lower back doesn't need the extra pounding.

Leg press:

20 plates x 10, 20 plates x 10, 20 plates x 6 (slow)

Meh. My right knee was bothering me a bit after the squat, and it felt a little sore on the third set, so I called it a day here.

Leg extensions:

Stack + 45 x 16, Stack + 45 x 15

That's... 357? Something like that. Easy enough. I just can't get into the single leg extensions, they feel too awkward.

Calf raises on sled:

20 plates x 10, 20 plates x 12

Calf raises on machine:

Stack x 12, stack x 12

Rah. They're still tiny.

Diet- Excellent.

Sleep- 7.5 hours, unbroken.

Not bad overall, I feel pretty good. Saw a girl actually lifting for an hour in there... not talking about one of the big, jacked girls, but just a regular girl, doing arms, back, and SQUATS. Her squat form needed a little help, so I asked if unsolicited advice was welcome. She was more than happy to listen and try things out. It's refreshing to see people who are willing to listen, learn, try new things.... and it's refreshing to see more girls lifting right. That was my little story for the day.

Hercule
03-30-2003, 01:29 PM
Damn, excellent job with the squat. 520 is a HUGE squat. Way to go man!

Hercule
03-30-2003, 01:31 PM
BTW, nice gym pick up line. "Hey, want some help with your 'squat form'?"

Narcissus
03-30-2003, 01:31 PM
I think I need to get myself a suit at some point.

if it's a big-suit you want, i can put you in touch with some people.

Narcissus
03-30-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Borris
tuttut Don't let Cgirl catch you slipping.

:(

Chris Rodgers
03-30-2003, 01:38 PM
If you are seriously thinking about competing, I'd look into getting a suit.

Just to give you a comparison, Pete hit 530 for a double in just a belt yesterday. He'll be good for 700+ in full gear in is next meet. So you may have a huge squat in ya when you ge a suit and get used to it.

Great job on the recent benching and pulling too.

WillKuenzel
03-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Nice bench and squat! You've got quite a nice total if you can hit all those in a meet!

Talking to Cgirl, I'll have to get up there and workout with ya'll sometime, or at least stand around and be amazed. If you do chest and legs on saturday and sunday, I'll talk to my family about staying up there with them or hanging out over the weekend. That is if ya don't mind a little fella tagging along. :)

heathj
03-31-2003, 03:18 AM
520 x 1 (!)

Slut.

MonStar
03-31-2003, 06:33 AM
Nice job on 520 B, impressive man. Are you going to be wearing knee wraps if you compete?

MrWebb78
03-31-2003, 11:56 AM
dammit, now i have to work harder to stay ahead of you, whats that all about?

Narcissus
03-31-2003, 02:44 PM
don't worry webb, just lie about it. problem solved.

Just some girl
03-31-2003, 04:38 PM
god forbid some coversation not come back to center around you.

MrWebb78
03-31-2003, 04:59 PM
yeah what was i thinking. only mods tell the truth.

rookiebldr
03-31-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by HomeYield
That is if ya don't mind a little fella tagging along. :)

Little! I'd hardly call you little. Little was when I was with LP, Doc and IceRgrrl. At least your over 200.

Nice Alex, nice.

IceRgrrl
04-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by rookiebldr

Little! I'd hardly call you little. Little was when I was with LP, Doc and IceRgrrl. At least your over 200.

Dang...I got lumped in with the big guys :D Cool.

But rookie, considering that the other two weighed almost 100 lbs. more than you and I, I think I was more in YOUR camp...

the doc
04-01-2003, 01:26 PM
are you guys calling LP and me fatasses?

Alex.V
04-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Hercule, thanks man. :)

Latty, a suit is definitely something I need to invest in... it'll likely change my training (for the less comfortable), but... who knows. I may be pleasantly surprised with my squat if I put one on. Same with a bench shirt...

HY, with the weight you move, you'd hardly be the little guy. Definitely head down! Thursday nights are really the best workouts, but the weekend works too..

Narc, man, no big suit just yet. I gotta work on my storytelling ability.

IceR, :eek:, I didn't know you read my journal!!!!

;)

Back day! And... hm, well, back day is just never that amazing lately. I think, every exercise I do, I wonder how it's going to effect my dead. This is partially why I think I hardly do anything for it anymore. lol. But now that my wrist is better, I'll put the DB rows back in.

Next week.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 7, +45 x 8

Rah. Stupid belt pinched some skin on my leg, it hurts. Badly.

Bi-angular row:

10 plates + 50 x 6, 10 plates x 6, 8 plates x 8, 8 plates x 6

My lower back started aching, so I stopped the last set short. Not bad. My lats actually felt pretty fatigued.

Concentration curls with 55's, 3 sets, 8 reps. Hammer curls with 80's, 2 sets, 8 reps. Cable curls with straight bar. Full stack (200 pounds), 2 sets, 10 reps.

My gunz were horribly unpumped. God damn it.

Um... yeah. Was talking to this dude I seen in there before, also a wrestler, about his bench form. Elbows way out in a weak position, so I got under with the weight he did 3.5 with (275), and slammed out a quick rep, then brought the second one down to just over my chest, held it there while I demonstrated different elbow widths, and slammed it back up. Effortless. Not in my workout, but felt good to be able to do that so damn easily.

Anyway. That was it.

Diet- Good... except under 4500 calories, methinks.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

That's it.

MonStar
04-01-2003, 09:29 PM
Nice back session B, strength is looking good as usual. I gave those crossbody hammers a shot, great exercise. Damn, smoked my arms. Looking forward to you getting DB rows back in.

Alex.V
04-03-2003, 08:36 PM
No vid today, because I'm a pussy.

Well, no. I just can't focus when it counts. I missed the dead... it started moving, but my head was somewhere else. There's no excuse for that... missing a lift because it's too heavy is one thing. Missing it because I'm just not there when it counts... that's bullsh*t, and I'm pissed at myself. Set a mini-PR on conventionals, but I'm very irritated. I wanted that video. Next week, I'm going to make sure I get my 6k calories the day before deads (only got 4k yesterday because I woke up so late), and I'd better be focused. I find I focus better the week after I miss one, though. Just because it's not routine, it's do or die, so to speak.

Deadlifts:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 425 x 2, 655 x miss, 655 x miss

Yeah. 425 felt heavy, and my grip was off. This should have been a sign right there that something wasn't on today.

Conventional deads:

545 x 1

Whoop de doo.

Actually, I'm curious how strong I really am at these. This was tough, but... I doubt I could sumo 545 after missing a max twice.

Lateral raises:

50 x 10, 55 x 10, 55 x 8, 50 x 6 right into

50 x 6, 55 x 8, 45 x 8

Ouch. Tough today, for some reason.

Cuban presses/rotations/whatevers:

115 x 3, 125 x 2, 135 x 1

Not bad. No pain.

Hanging leg raises:

10, 10+8 second hold

Whatever.

That was it.

Diet- FAR too low in calories.

Sleep- plenty

Other- An older woman tried to pick me up tonight as I was paying for my cheeseburger. Woman, I just missed a deadlift today. I am in no mood.

MrWebb78
04-03-2003, 08:45 PM
what are cuban presses? that older woman coulda taught you a thing or two!

Blood&Iron
04-03-2003, 08:46 PM
No vid today, because I'm a pussy.

Yeah, we all know.

I told you: 640. Is it such a crime to use less weight than last week? Monotonic is a dirty word.

WillKuenzel
04-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Woman, I just missed a deadlift today. I am in no mood.LMAO, that's just hilarious. Anyways, hate to hear about a miss. Its not easy to deal with.

And like webb asked, what are cuban presses?

Savannah
04-04-2003, 04:27 PM
You'll get it next time B...... or else!!! :p

EdgarMex
04-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by HomeYield
LMAO, that's just hilarious. Anyways, hate to hear about a miss. Its not easy to deal with.

And like webb asked, what are cuban presses?

I got this link from ericg about cubans a few weeks ago:

http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_145shldr.html

Alex.V
04-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Yep, those are Cubans, but I do them with heavier weight for lower reps.

B&I- Yes. Why on earth would I use less weight?

Sav- I definitely will, I'm sick of misses.

And it was a mediocre chest day. I'm getting far too used to having a wrist wrap... it's making my form suck. Until the sprain heals, I have no choice, but... my bench is not as stable as it should be.

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 1, 340 x 1, 380 x miss, 315 x 1

It was a fine handoff on 380, but as soon as I had the weight, the bar rolled. My wrist moved back, the bar drifted, and rather than re-rack and try again, I stupidly benched anyway. The groove was way off, my back had shifted out of position, and I had nothing. I have a feeling my wrist is getting a bit weaker, and just can't stabilize the weight properly. Dammit.

Seated skullcrushers:

170 x 8, 170 x 7

Nothing spectacular here. My elbows were aching like mad. Time to get back on the glucosamine.

DB flyes:

75 x 10, 75 x 8, 75 x 8

These were actually pretty good today. My titties hurt pretty badly afterwards... though andrea informed me that I don't actually have titties. :(

One-handed pushdowns:

150 x 10, 130 x 10, 100 x 11

(per side). Dude, some guy messed around with my shiat in between sets. I gave him a dirty look and reset it all the minute he let go of the handle. He kinda looked at me funny. Hey, buddy, you know, if there's a wrist wrap around the handle, designating that somebody is using it, and it's only been left alone for 30 seconds, don't even TRY getting pissy if the owner of the wrap comes back and resets his stuff how it was.

Thank you very much.

DB front raises:

50's x 10, 45's x 10

Better than usual. Just... much tighter.

Called it a day. Not feeling 100%, dehydrated as hell, but... whatever. I'll eat lots and hydrate lots today for legs tomorrow.

Diet- So-so.

Sleep- 8 hours.

That's about it.

Songsangnim
04-06-2003, 04:12 AM
Monstar, it ain't legal unless it touches the chest. Touch and go.

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 2, 520 x 1 (!)

Not too bad. Had a little to spare, and THE BELT STAYED ON. I had three people there... two spotting me, and one checking for depth. I showed the girl checking for depth exactly how far down I wanted to go, and she said I actually went a bit lower on the rep. Felt deep as hell to me. Granted, she's no judge, but that's good enough for me. The 520 was with knee wraps (not as tight as possible), and a sh*t belt. I think I need to get myself a suit at some point.

Darn, you mean I've been working out illegally?:D

Seriously though, very impressive squats. 520 is very nice poundage. Don't let EP catch you wearing a belt though;)

Blood&Iron
04-06-2003, 01:59 PM

One-handed pushdowns:

150 x 10, 130 x 10, 100 x 11

(per side). Dude, some guy messed around with my shiat in between sets. I gave him a dirty look and reset it all the minute he let go of the handle. He kinda looked at me funny. Hey, buddy, you know, if there's a wrist wrap around the handle, designating that somebody is using it, and it's only been left alone for 30 seconds, don't even TRY getting pissy if the owner of the wrap comes back and resets his stuff how it was.

I have a general rule about people who leave walk away from equipment and leave any sort of signal which I'm supposed to interpret to mean the machine is still in use. I call it the 'IDONTGIVEAF*CK' rule. If someone's clearly resting for only 20-30 seconds between sets I will generally wait (unless the person is doing more than 3-4 sets) until he's done with whatever piece of equipment it is I want to use. For anyone resting longer than that, there's no excuse to not let people work in--particularly if it's a selectorized-stack machine. It's called sharing.

Alex.V
04-06-2003, 05:44 PM
B&I- You're an ornery little cuss.

There were three other open stacks. He had to change handles, move the pulley to the bottom, change the weight, and remove my wrap. There were other stations where he didn't have to do any of that. Therefore, he's a dipsh*t. I'm sorry if you feel offended by this.

Decent leg day... I missed my squat, but it was balance, not belt or strength. So I'm sure I can nail it next week... I might even go heavier.

Worked out with CG and HY (Love the two letter monikers), and we all went out for beers and lunch afterwards. lol. Plus, we all did strip sets, which felt very nice. Ouch.

BB squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 5, 315 x 5, 405 x 1, 525 x miss.

Not a hard weight, really. Leaned forward a bit, needed some assist, but.... yeah. I have it.

SLDLs:

405 x 8

Something like that.

Leg press strip sets:

22 plates + 50 lbs x 7
20 plates + 50 lbs x 6
18 plates + 50 lbs x 5
16 plates + 50 lbs x 5
14 plates + 50 lbs x 5
12 plates + 50 lbs x 5
10 plates + 50 lbs x 5
8 plates + 50 lbs x 5
6 plates + 50 lbs x 5/6?

Ouch. Completely wiped.

Calf raises:

stack x 12, stack x 12

paused.

That's about it.

Diet- Excellent. Plenty of cals

Sleep- 6 hours. Whoops.

Anyway, it was a cool workout, actually. HY's a strong guy, really damn chill... and the two of them had SUCH southern accents. lol. Sorry guys, I felt like a real yankee. We all gotta meet up again, it was excellent. Thanks again for lunch, CG. :D

Dat's it. (Too busy with math to give a full debrief)

midee1
04-06-2003, 06:16 PM
D@mn impressive

I've been reading your journal for a while and decided to start my own.

I hope I can compare.

Good luck!:cool:

Blood&Iron
04-06-2003, 06:43 PM
B&I- You're an ornery little cuss.

There were three other open stacks. He had to change handles, move the pulley to the bottom, change the weight, and remove my wrap. There were other stations where he didn't have to do any of that. Therefore, he's a dipsh*t. I'm sorry if you feel offended by this.

Very offended.

'twas just a joke (well, kinda)--though it is hard to tell at times, I realize.

chris mason
04-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Darn B, always workin' the free food, eh?

Alex.V
04-06-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by chris mason
Darn B, always workin' the free food, eh?

:D

Hey, when y'all offer.

B&I- I wasn't serious in the least.

midee, good luck to you! I'll go check it out.

bradley
04-07-2003, 03:49 AM
Thanks again for lunch, CG.

Good Southern hospitality:D

Workouts are inspiring to say the least Belial.

carolinagirl
04-07-2003, 03:50 PM
ow.

my legs hurt.

damn you.

;)

wickham
04-07-2003, 05:07 PM
Hey Belial- I just found this journal section (still trying to get the hang of all this message board stuff) and you've been posting journals since 2001?! Wow! Amazing! This thread is huge so I didn't read every page...any pics posted?????

Alex.V
04-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by carolinagirl
ow.

my legs hurt.

damn you.

;)

:D:D:D:D:D

Wickham... I got a few old, fuzzy ones. Hopefully I'll have a deadlift video up rather soon, and I might take some pics down the line. I have a feeling I'll have met half the people who post here in person before that happens, though. lol.

xraygirl
04-07-2003, 05:56 PM

:D:D:D:D:D

Wickham... I got a few old, fuzzy ones. Hopefully I'll have a deadlift video up rather soon, and I might take some pics down the line. I have a feeling I'll have met half the people who post here in person before that happens, though. lol.
:nod: What he said...

Ritzol
04-07-2003, 06:36 PM
:spam:

Alex.V
04-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Thanks for stopping by, Rachel. ;)

Back day!

Upped the volume a little bit. I figured as long as my legs were in severe pain, I may as well beat the crap out of my entire body to match.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 6, +45 x 8

Lah de dah. These are going nowhere. I think my problem is I'm not TRYING to progress, so I'm less than psyched going into each set.

DB rows:

175 x 10/10, 185 x 8/8, 165 x 12/11

Whee. I missed the clanging noise the 'dumbbell' makes when it hits the ground. Form on these is, well, perfect. MINIMAL cheating until the last rep or two on each set, they've never felt this tight.

Bi-angular rows:

10 plates x 6, 8 plates x 12

Wow, I was feeling the effects of those DB rows. Ouch.

Concentration curls with 50's and 45's, one set of cable curls with the stack, and two sets of hammer curls (75 x 10/10, 70 x 10/10). My arms almost looked good during these. 'Tis an illusion, but I'll take it.

That's about it.

Diet- excellent!

Sleep- not so excellent! (6.5 hours)

Asshole neighbors playing loud techno at 7AM. I slammed on the wall and they turned it down. Tomorrow I am going over there and scalping them all.

I went tanning today. I feel quite cooked. HOWEVER, it's starting to feel really good. Like, the warmth (and I guess the rays) really do brighten my mood. It's good, the weather's been ****ty and getting me down, but this helped.

That's about it.

Alex.V
04-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Well, it's time to back the **** off from deads. Two weeks of misses, and a total of 6 weeks of shoddy form, and my technique is totally shot. I'm lingering at the bottom, leaning forward too far, and my zone is gone. I'm psyched out, yadda yadda. Back to basics. 3 weeks below my current max, starting at 500 for reps. Gotta get my speed back, gotta get my confidence back, because it's killing me. And I know it's not lack of strength. My shoulders are stronger, my lower back is stronger, my legs are stronger... but my deadlift is stuck. And I know it's my fault. I can get as much sleep as I want, and stuff myself like a pig the day before, but if, when I go down, I lean forward too far and raise my hips too soon, I'm going to miss it by a mile.

So I'm lifting like a ****ing amateur, and I gotta suck down my pride and do what it takes to pull 700 by the end of the summer. That means forgetting about adding five pounds a week, and realizing that at this point, the difference between making 700 and missing even 600 is all mental. Once my technique is perfect, I got a feeling 7 plates won't be a problem.

That said, if you'll excuse me for a second....

I'm done.

Deadlifts:

Let's not go there. Suffice it to say that I missed 655 sumo and pulled an easy 500 conventional.

Lateral raises:

55's x 12, 50's x 10, 45's x 10, 50's x 10

Never been so easy, and form was excellent.

45's x 10, 55's x 10

Easy.

Hanging leg raises:

Bodyweight only x 12, Bodyweight + 10 pounds on feet x 7 (?)

Seated calf raises:

Stack x 14, Stack x 16

Easy as hell.

One handed dumbbell cuban rotation thingys:

30's x 4, 35's x 5, 45's x 3, 50's x 2

Not a problem.

That was it.

Diet- Excellent.

Sleep- 7 hours.

Did I mention I'm f*cking pissed?

Santiago
04-10-2003, 07:19 PM
You could take a crack at that 700 in the friendly confines of madhouse gym. :)

I heard some guys headbutt stuff downthere before they lift and now have lumps tho lol

pagan058
04-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Awesome strength on those dumbell rows..........

Just some girl
04-10-2003, 07:29 PM
don't beat yourself up. there has never been a goal you have set for yourself that you haven't achieved. we all know you can do it, and you will. :)

the doc
04-10-2003, 07:46 PM
hang in there alex. always seems those mental blocks are the toughest to bust through

Chris Rodgers
04-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Happens to everyone.

Be smart. Get in there and figure out exactly what may be holding you back from a 7 pate pull and work on it like a mofo!! Speed, speed, speed!! I'd throw some heavy pull thrus in there for a few weeks too, wide stance.

PS- headbutting stuff before a heavy set seems to work.

Budiak
04-10-2003, 08:42 PM
I find that being of a diminutive stature thus having to prove yourself stronger than taller preppie bitches and curl jockeys helps strength and progress out a lot.
You should try it.

MonStar
04-10-2003, 11:39 PM
I agree with JSG, dont beat yourself up Alex.

Take it easy on deadlifts man, you have been going heavy for some long now. Max attempts every week has got to catch up with you sooner or later. Youll hit 700 by the end of summer no questions asked.

By the way, I never really paid much attention to your lateral strength man. EXTREMELY impressive. 55s for 12 is insane. And body English? Whats your form like on them, I am assuming standing, correct?

Alex.V
04-11-2003, 11:10 AM
S- Where dat? And banging my head is no good. The last thing I need is fewer brain cells.

pagan- thanks man. They're getting back up there... still too worried about my various joints to push them like I used to, though.

JSG- :) Thanks, that means a lot. (Good to see you around)

Doc- It's so true... a max is so damn psychological. argh.

latty- Yep, speed. I gotta find somebody who can check my form and critique. I think I'm close to the level where what's holding me back is the fact that I've only been deadlifting... 2 years? And 8 months of that were off pins to protect my lower back/left glute after I got that tear. So... it's hard self-critiquing..

Budiak- What, cut off my shins?
....heeeeeeeeey........

Monstar- Yup. I can handle the beating physically, but not mentally. Especially not after two consecutive misses. And form is pretty good on the lateral raises, I think. They're getting very strong.

Chris Rodgers
04-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Get a deadlift on video and we may be able to give you some tips. You never know.

Alex.V
04-12-2003, 01:10 PM
chris- Yeah, I'm thinking I may just do that when I pull a sub-max next week or the week after.

My joints are aching horribly today. I went out drinking last night, woke up pretty damn dehydrated. My elbows... fine at first, but after a few fast sets of heavy bench, they started hurting like a bitch. So... both my wrists are popping, and both my elbows feel like they're going to fall apart. Whee. Fun.

So.....

BB bench:

135 x 12, 225 x 12, 315 x 5, 315 x 4, 315 x 3, 225 x 3x3x3 (3 quick sets of 3)

Not bad. I probably had another rep or two at 315 fairly easy, but I didn't want to push it. I figured I'd give my joints a break and keep it all sub-failure, but they still started hurting. :(

Next week will be another light week, but maybe with a little less volume, and a little less "snap" at the top of the motion.

Seated skullcrushers:

175 x 10, 175 x 12

I gotta say... the spots women give are so much better than the average guy. They don't feel the need to grab it and do the whole weight for you. So I got 12 grueling reps on my own, with a quick touch on the 11th to stabilize (side to side), and a tiny bit on 12.

DB flyes:

75 x 8, 70 x 8, 70 x 8

These hurt the elbows a bit. I guess it's the angle it was pulling at.

One handed tricep pushdowns:

150 x 10/10, 150 x 8/4, 120 x 8/8

My left elbow tweaked on the second set at 150, so I stopped. They were fine until then, though. God damn it.

DB front raises:

50 x 8, 45 x 8

Just wanted to leave.

Diet- Decent. Too low in real calories and water, too high in alcohol.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

That's it.

Magnus
04-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Alex, perhaps you should try:

1. A couple of burn exercises. High reps, light light weight, get joint fluids and lactic acid flowing. This should help with all the aches and pains.

2. Decondition your muscles. If you haven't taken time off from training for some time, stop working out for about 2 weeks (the rest couldn't hurt). When you return your muscles will be more susceptible to growth again.

Good luck, and may the force be with you. Always.

Alex.V
04-13-2003, 01:26 PM
Magnus, my elbow feels like tendonitis... and it's possibly repetitive motion as much as poundage that irritates it, so this would likely be bad.

Also, I do agree that deconditioning might be a good idea at this point, I'm feeling pretty beat up. But... as for growth... tuttut What, you think I'm some kind of "shave my body oil up run around in a pink thong flex for random strangers rub one out to my own reflection" bodybuilding pretty boy homo?

I don't THINK so.

Leg day!

Not bad at all. Missed my squat, but... I had so much power to spare in everything else that I think it was a technique issue. So I'm moving up in weight next week anyhow.

BB squat:

135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 4, 405 x 1, 525 x miss

405 was SMOKED. Fast, easy, felt like I had 6-8 in me, no problem. 525 felt very controlled going down, but I hit too low and tried to relax my hips to hit depth. Went too far. But, belt held. Like I said, next week I move up and make it a faster rep.

SLDLs:

405 x 6

Nice and deep. Lower back aching, though.

Leg press strip set:

22 plates x 4
20 plates x 5
18 plates x 5
16 plates x 5
14 plates x 5
12 plates x 5
10 plates x 5
8 plates x 3?

Something like that. Legs twitching. Yum. :)

Calf raises:

Stack x 12, stack x 14

I was REALLY walking funny at this point.

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- not enough.

Other- My friend sarah hit her first complete pull-up. Ever. (well, since elementary school, maybe). Next week, two!

THAT'S IT, YO.

carolinagirl
04-13-2003, 02:26 PM
It sucks about all your joint problems lately. I keep hearing that high-dose oil supplementation (olive, flax, and fish) is magical for joint pain - I have to say I haven't noticed any mega-fabulous effects in my knees yet. But maybe they would be way way worse if I wasn't taking all the oils. Still, something to think about if you're not already doing it.

I'm glad the squats are doing right by you these days. You were hating them for a good while there.

*covets B's strip set*
*also covets B's friend Sarah's unassisted pullup*

Blood&Iron
04-13-2003, 04:05 PM
I hear Deca is good for joint pain.

Narcissus
04-13-2003, 04:36 PM
What, you think I'm some kind of "shave my body oil up run around in a pink thong flex for random strangers rub one out to my own reflection" bodybuilding pretty boy homo?

I don't THINK so.

hmm....what was the belial? i think you need to speak up...

from an interview with belial LESS THAN 1 YEAR AGO
Q - What are your current goals and how is your training going in regards to this?

A - ...I might want to compete in a bodybuilding contest...There's really no limit, and hopefully that will keep me interested in the lifestyle till I'm old and gray.

so, apparently, you ARE interested in the homo lifestyle.

Alex.V
04-13-2003, 04:37 PM
:hide:

heathj
04-13-2003, 04:57 PM
Damn foo, strength is really climbing. You got 525.

Pup
04-13-2003, 05:33 PM

hmm....what was the belial? i think you need to speak up...

so, apparently, you ARE interested in the homo lifestyle.

nah...he'd rather walk around in leather pants, skin-tight shiny shirts and be a frat-boy :p

heathj
04-13-2003, 05:43 PM
cut-off jeans shorts, also.

Pup
04-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by heathj
cut-off jeans shorts, also.

that was a bit below the belt heath, not even i would stoop to that level tuttut

Magnus
04-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Also, I do agree that deconditioning might be a good idea at this point, I'm feeling pretty beat up. But... as for growth... tuttut What, you think I'm some kind of "shave my body oil up run around in a pink thong flex for random strangers rub one out to my own reflection" bodybuilding pretty boy homo?

I don't THINK so.

Yes actually. It 's those tight bras - umm, tank tops you like to wear.

Alex.V
04-13-2003, 07:50 PM
I love all you people who are jealous that you can't make an XL look tight. :D

(Not you, matt. stfu)

BCC
04-13-2003, 08:01 PM
*ahem* XL in abercrombie isn't saying much ;)

Alex.V
04-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Abercrombie is actually one of the few name brands (outside Versace, believe it or not) that makes very tapered clothing, with narrow waists and broad shoulders.

Just a fun fact.

pagan058
04-13-2003, 09:07 PM
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Alex.V
04-15-2003, 04:26 PM
Man knows what he's on about. ;)

Back day!

Started out more or less crap, but got progressively better. Much like my day in general.

I put a chalk smiley face on my right leg. It was very peppy. One of these: =) (Only right way up). I thought it added personality and joy to my workout. And it was a nice contrast from my face. It did get quite a few looks.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 6 (with long negative on last one)

Was not feeling these. Damn belt is pinching like mad. :(

DB rows:

165 x 12/12, 185 x 10/10, 165 x 10/10

Felt VERY tight today. Form all but flawless. Maybe a LITTLE cheating on the last rep on the right side at 185, and the last two on the left at that weight.

Bi-angular row:

10 plates x 6, 8 plates x 12

Not bad, considering DB rows usually WIPE me out. Very solid.

Concentration curls:

50 x 10/10, 50 x 10/10, 50 x 8/8

These were so exciting that I got very bored and stopped out of sheer apathy.

Hammer curls:

80 x 8/8, 90 x 7/6

pfft. Some meathead had the 85's. Stopped these mostly because of my slightly sore wrists and elbows.

That was about it. I tweaked something in my knee putting the 90's back. They feel so light, I sometimes forget that it's 180 extra pounds I'm carrying, so I should watch the twisting motions I do when I re-rack the weights or walk with them. My left knee is now grinding a little bit. Upper outer portion of the kneecap.

Anyway.

Diet- Excellent. Although my pre-workout meal was a cheeseburger, a chicken tender, a beer (Sam Adams), and some fries. Hey. *shrug*

Sleep- 6.5 hours. argh.

Isaac Wilkins
04-15-2003, 04:30 PM
See, it's all because of the Sam Adam's. It shows a little bit of taste on your part, and the Hops gods smiled upon your workout.

I've been known to start a workout with a nice Saranac. :D

Alex.V
04-16-2003, 06:17 PM
lol. Indeed, puts one in the right mindset. It should be a ritual.

MrWebb78
04-16-2003, 07:02 PM
I put a chalk smiley face on my right leg. It was very peppy. One of these: =) (Only right way up). I thought it added personality and joy to my workout. And it was a nice contrast from my face. It did get quite a few looks.

dude youre so gay!

im gunna do that tomorrow

Duke197
04-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Dude, where are you getting 165 lb DBs from? Are you stacking them? Everytime I do that I wind up dropping one and looking like a huge jackass

Alex.V
04-16-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by MrWebb78

dude youre so gay!

im gunna do that tomorrow

Dude, I was talking to this other guy who decided he wanted one. I'm starting a trend.

T- I bring my own olympic (plate loading) dumbbell handles. They are the ****.

Budiak
04-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Abercrombie is actually one of the few name brands (outside Versace, believe it or not) that makes very tapered clothing, with narrow waists and broad shoulders.

Holy **** Belial, so this is why Joe Sixpack looks like **** in Abercrombie? Narrow shoulders, gut, shapeless legs...

I still wont buy it. I dont need more than two pairs of pants anyways.

Budiak
04-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Hey B, Narc complains that the gym's dumbells dont go heavy enough.

You'd think that the gerbil running in his head can spin the wheel fast enough to go buy some of his own handles like you have because we all know you wont lend them to him, you selfish bag of ****.

Alex.V
04-17-2003, 10:44 PM
Drunken update! WHEEE!!!!

I WILL DO MY BEST TO BE COHERENT.

It was a light deadlift day. Yes! Icer, light! I was true to my word!

I will keep this short since spelling words correctly is VERY difficult.

DEADLIFTS!

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 5, 405 x 3, 500 x 10, 500 x 1, 500 x 1

These were good today. Each rep was done with a full pause and reset in between. Focused on the dip and explosion. 405's were tight, 315's so fast I almost fell over. 500's were controlled, fast, and I had enough energy that I actually paused at the bottom, reset my grip, and re-pulled around rep 8.

Second 500 set was a 15 count static hold, last one was pulled conventional.

Lateral raises:

60 x 10, 55 x 10, 50 x 8, 50 x 8

Something like that. I forget. I'm drunk. But the 60's were excellent.

45 x 10, 50 x 8, 55 x 8

My traps looked pretty big. Whee. heehehe. Did I mention that drunk is fun?. I think I did. Or maybe not, upon looking back. whoops.

Hanging leg raises, 3 sets, 2, 10, 10. First set had a 25 pound plate on the belt around my legs. Ouchie.

Calf raises, stack x 14 twice. Not bad.

Finished up with some rather worthless DB shrugs.

And that was it.

Diet- Excellent.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

It's time for drunken math study!

Blood&Iron
04-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Sad, sad, sad.

Rock has set the bar very high for drunken posts.

I'm sorry to say, yours was an utter disappointment.

PowerManDL
04-17-2003, 10:49 PM
Looks like you got TOLD!

Alex.V
04-17-2003, 10:55 PM
It was not a drunken dpost it was ajournal entry! TYou shoudl see the IMs I got going on now. They are priceless. I hope I save them all.

rookiebldr
04-17-2003, 10:56 PM
:nod:

Alex.V
04-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Oh, I forgot, I also did 33 reps with 312.5 pounds on the leg extension after everything else to win a pissing contest.

MrWebb78
04-17-2003, 11:19 PM
usually when people have to say how drunk they are over and over it means they really arent.

Alex.V
04-17-2003, 11:22 PM
You are right I have bee n caught. :(

MrWebb78
04-17-2003, 11:27 PM
whatcha drinkin anyhow, better be something good

Alex.V
04-17-2003, 11:30 PM
It was avery strong long island iced tea, a cupla beers, a shot of vodka.. I am a ****ing lightweight. But it was all within about an hour, and I have certainly NOT eatenenough today. :(

rookiebldr
04-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Definitely light weight. hehehe

MrWebb78
04-17-2003, 11:33 PM
strong island iced tea! those are the ****, i dont know about a shot of vodka, thatd make me puke. i have drank to get drunk in awhile, not sure what i could handle anymore, but i was a legend at starting the beeramids in the old days.

*pats himself on the back*

fuzz
04-18-2003, 07:51 AM
Now you have to try drunk deadlifts. Only then have you truly lived.

MonStar
04-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Damn Alex, 500 for 10 reps? Thats insane---good work.

LOL, drunken' post.

Budiak
04-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Hey B, where does all that booze fit into your 'excellent' diet?

Sinner.

ectx
04-18-2003, 11:53 AM
*Temporarily breaks boycott*

Lightweight. You are an embarrassment to your latino legacy.

*Ends temporary break*

Songsangnim
04-19-2003, 10:10 AM
Belial, don't you think it's about time you stopped deadlifting and gave the rest of us mere mortals a chance to catch up?.tuttut

Nice work on the deadlifts. I'd love to be able to say 500 lbs was "light".

Alex.V
04-19-2003, 02:55 PM
Alcohol is an important part of my diet. It's calories, right? :)

Drunk deadlifts.... I think I'd vomit. Not a good idea, really.

EA- Now, see, if people caught me, where'd be the fun in that? Then I'd have to keep pushing myself until I got a few herniated discs, etc. etc. just to beat you guys again.

Chest day.

Why do I even call it that anymore?

Not bad, really. I found that it's not necessarily heavy weights that hurts my elbow, it's anything explosive. In other words, it's what I need to be doing that aggravates my tendons.

Ah well.

BB bench:

135 x 12, 225 x 12, 315 x 5, 225 x3x4 (20 seconds between sets)

Not too bad today. Didn't feel like pushing for a max (I thought that was my problem). Apparently not. Either way, I'm going to work back up slowly here. Drop the speed sets, just do fast heavy singles until I eventually ramp up to 405, I hope.

Seated skullcrushers:

205 x 3, 185 x 6, 175 x 8

ha. The first set was kinda funny. The hardest part was actually pressing it up into position, stepping back, and sitting down while balancing it. Not bad, though.

DB flyes:

75 x 8, 75 x 8, 75 x 7

Bleh. Nothing hugely inspired here.

One-handed pushdowns:

150 x 10/10, 130 x 10/10
switched to reverse grip:

100 x 8/8, 100 x 10/10

Exciting. Actually, range of motion was very good, I was pleased. No cheating either.

DB front raises:

50 x 8/8, 45 x 10/10

I may have done another set here. At this point I got bored and decided to work out the slight tightness in my chest and delts.

Dips:

bodyweight x 13 (7 with a 5 count pause at the bottom, while bouncing slightly to stretch the chest, 6 done explosively), +90 x 5

My triceps were totally shot after this. The 5 second pause was tough, especially since it wasn't completely static. I failed hard on the last one, so I barely thought I'd be able to do a single once I put some weight on... considering my arms were trembling. Still, not a bad way to end up. Kinda humbling, since I was doing +160 for a single over a year ago... then again, fresh, who knows what I got.

That was it.

Diet- Too low in real calories.

Sleep- 8 hours, give or take.

galileo
04-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Ugh.

pagan058
04-19-2003, 04:21 PM
Have u tried taking celebrex or another anti-inflammatory for that elbow....it seemed to work for my wrist....just a suggestion....

rookiebldr
04-19-2003, 04:23 PM
I may have done another set here. At this point I got bored and decided to work out the slight tightness in my chest and delts.

oh hum, I'm bored so I'll just go on and lift some other insane weight. lol ;)

BennettBoy
04-19-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by pagan058
Have u tried taking celebrex or another anti-inflammatory for that elbow....it seemed to work for my wrist....just a suggestion....

Can you purchase this at a drug store? My wrist has started acting up again and I need to deal with this quickly.

And Alex, I thought you too were having wrist problems a while back. Did that go away? Damn if it isn't one thing it is another.

Alex.V
04-20-2003, 02:51 PM
Good question. That sounds like an idea... is it OTC?

Leg day. Woulda been great! Two problems. Under 6 hours of sleep, and my GOD DAMN BELT POPPED OPEN AGAIN.

f*ck me.

BB squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 1, 455 x 1, 530 x sh*t.

Went down fine, started coming up... slowed down, but this time I felt my hamstrings engaging, came past my sticking point, felt the power increasing, then... boom. Belt popped, power gone. crappo. This week I am ordering my Inzer.

SLDLs:

405 x 8

Something like that. Pretty good, hamstrings still sore from thursday.

Leg press:

22 plates x 6, 20 plates x 8

Bleh. Wiped.

Leg extension:

Stack (312) x 30, stack x 20

This was just silly.

Calf raises on sled:

22 plates x 12, 22 plates x 12

Machine calf raises:

Stack x 14, stack x 14

I was tired. Being on my feet for 7+ hours last night, lack of sleep, and lack of calories kinda killed my reserves.

Diet- Not bad. A little low in cals.

Sleep- 5.5 hours.

And it's work time. whee.

the doc
04-20-2003, 03:18 PM
hey alex you gonna be done with undergrad education this spring? You figured out any plans for post grad?

anyhow get that new belt !! :D

bradley
04-21-2003, 03:32 AM
Good question. That sounds like an idea... is it OTC?

It is a prescription drug.

carolinagirl
04-21-2003, 03:40 AM
But it's not any fun or anything, so you can just ask your doctor about it and he'll probably give it to you.

I consign that goddamn belt of yours to hell. (Along with my ****ing paper. They can spend eternity together.)

BCC
04-21-2003, 11:08 AM
Dude, just drop a couple pounds, and the belt will be fine, fatty.

Miss Rezza
04-22-2003, 03:28 AM
f*ck me.

.... can't see why not! :hump:

IceRgrrl
04-22-2003, 05:51 AM
Drunken update! WHEEE!!!!

I WILL DO MY BEST TO BE COHERENT.

It was a light deadlift day. Yes! Icer, light! I was true to my word!

DEADLIFTS!

It's time for drunken math study!

LMAO! Oh wow...so many exclamation points, so many euphoric statements :D It's about time you wised up and backed off a little though...it really won't kill you to not be killing yourself every workout.

Good luck on the math test. I will send some professional quality math vibes in your direction today ;)

Alex.V
04-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Doc, definitely need to get the belt, and nope, still no future plans yet.

CG- Hey, any drug can be fun if properly abused. How DID that paper end up, anyway?

BCC- The fit is just fine, I just put too much pressure on it. Asswipe.

Rezz- Damn girl, NOW who's the dirty one? ;)

M- You're in my journal!!!!! :eek:
Wised up? Nawwwww. Never. I think the math test went pretty well, btw. I appreciate the vibes. :D

Back day. Not hugely inspired, but that's mostly because I forgot my DB handle. :( Oh well. Focused on arms a bit, gave my wrists and elbows a bit of a break.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 8

These were pretty good, actually. Wrist still bothers me too much to push up to three plates plus, though. :(

Bi-angular row:

10 plates x 7, 10 plates x 6, 8 plates x 14, 8 plates x 10

Focusing on range of motion. Full arm extension to complete contraction. Very nice.

That did it for my back. Didn't seem like very much. So I got my gunz mad pumped, dog.

Complete Lack of Concentration curls:

50's x 10/10, 55's x 8/8, 50's x 8/8

I'm putting poundage! Not because I'm happy with it, but just because it makes my workout look longer if I write them out.

Hammer curls:

90's x 7/7

These bugged the hell outta my wrists. So I did

Cable Curls:

200 x 10, 200 x 9

These also bugged the hell outta my wrists. Elbows too.

So I cried and left.

Diet- Pretty damn good.

Sleep- 6.5 hours.

That's it, yo.

Alex.V
04-22-2003, 04:28 PM
I exceeded my smiley allocation for the day. Shame on me.

Isaac Wilkins
04-22-2003, 04:32 PM
I exceeded my smiley allocation for the day. Shame on me.

Tool. ;)

I feel your pain on the wrists, mine is still a little messed up from a couple of months ago.

Why the concentration curls? I've noticed that you use them. I realize that barbell curls will mess your wrists at this point, but I'd think you'd be better off with spider curls or heavy DB curls.

carolinagirl
04-22-2003, 04:44 PM
How DID that paper end up, anyway?

First draft (the one that was due Monday) - horrendous. Thanks for asking.

The final draft of one is due May 2, the other May 6.

I'm sure this is not the last you will hear about them. :rolleyes:

Pup
04-22-2003, 06:38 PM
i feel your pain alex, i hate doing arms, biceps are the stupidest muscle group :swear:

Budiak
04-24-2003, 12:53 AM
BiCePs RaWk FeWl!!!

*pitches self off building

Alex.V
04-24-2003, 07:41 PM
CG, I'm sure not. Remind me to bitch about exams later.

Rob, agreed 100%. So obnoxious, so visible, so slow to grow. :(

Budiak....

Never mind. I'll wait till you hit the pavement.

Deadlifts/shoulder day.

Didn't go as high on the dead reps as I'd hoped... about 2-3 short of my goal. But there was a reset between reps, and I did far more than usual with excellent explosiveness leading up.

Deadlifts:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 10, 405 x 6, 550 x 4

Not too bad. On every set leading up to the last, I snatched the bar up, locked out, put it down quickly, stood up again, waited a second, then re-dipped and ripped. Excellent speed, even 315 was so fast that on a few reps I actually let go of the bar, had it go up a few inches, then I caught it on the way down. Stupid, but made me feel slightly cool. 405, first rep a little slow, subsequent excellent. These are doing me good, I think. I'm getting confidence in my setup that I didn't used to have.

Conventional deadlift + static hold:

500 x 1 (with 20+ second static hold)

The hardest thing here... my entire body started to shake. My hands were in agony around 14-15, just because the deads leading up to it had me wiped.. and my hamstrings were shot. But I LOVED this. Next week I'll try for more.

Lateral raises:

60 x 10, 55 x 10, 50 x 8, 45 x 10

Couldn't believe how tight form was on 60. Stronger and more solid than ever.

50 x 10, 45 x 8

I was tired. :( So tired.

Hanging leg raises with 5 second hold on last rep:

10, 8, 10, 10

Another guy was doing these. I couldn't let his skinny ass outdo me. He only did two sets, though. Grrrargh.

Calf raises:

Stack x 14, stack x 14.

Watched two wrestlers benching while I did these. Saw a 170-180 pound guy load up 315. I was watching with great interest. Until his butt came about 12" off the bench and he missed the first, and proceeded to do 3 reps with assist on each.

To all athletes reading this...

Why you all gotta bench so ugly, foo's?

Anyway. that was pretty much it. I am now drinking my shake.

Diet- pretty good!

Sleep- 8+ hours.

GhettoSmurf
04-24-2003, 07:45 PM
wow great job on the 60x10 for the lat. raises!

Budiak
04-24-2003, 07:50 PM
Bizlial, I'm assuming the fine young gentlemen who were using the bench press were not doing powerlifting-style bench with the arched back and you were too busy fixing your hair to really get a good look.

But they lifted their actual butts up, using their legs, while benching? Thats ****ed up. Seems like the 315 was a bit of a stretch in the first place.

How did the dudes look?

Alex.V
04-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Budiak
Bizlial, I'm assuming the fine young gentlemen who were using the bench press were not doing powerlifting-style bench with the arched back and you were too busy fixing your hair to really get a good look.

But they lifted their actual butts up, using their legs, while benching? Thats ****ed up. Seems like the 315 was a bit of a stretch in the first place.

How did the dudes look?

Precisely wrong on that. :) PL benching specifically dictates that the BUTT DOES NOT LEAVE THE BENCH, EVER. These guys would bring it down, then explode up, their entire bodies flying off the bench as the bar slowly crept up to the sticking point. There, the spotter grabbed it. The guy had maybe 300-305 in him, maybe 295 if he kept his butt down.

The guys were built fairly well, not huge by any means, but certainly a fairly lean 175-180 at around.. 5'9"? Hard to say, though. Mighta been less. Athletes, not bodybuilders. Gym don't matter fo' sh*t except as a tool. If that's what's winning them matches, then so be it. I, however, found the technique offensive. lol.

Alex.V
04-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Ouch. My elbows are killing me.

Decent bench session, and pain was actually less than last week again.

Bar speed not so excellent, but as my elbow recovers this too should improve. So I kept it to sub-max singles.

BB bench:

135 x 12, 225 x 12, 275 x 2, 315 x 1, 335 x 1, 355 x 1, 375 x 1

Not terrible.. 335 and 355 were smoked, 375 was really slow. :(

Paused bench:

315 x 2

Five second pause at the bottom. Say what you want about these being bad for the shoulder, these felt very good. Overall, not hugely pleased, but not too disappointed. I'd really like to get 405 in the not too distant future, but my injuries are really holding me back. Ah well. Just keep plugging away.

Seated skullcrushers:

185 x 7, 170 x 8

These were.. uninspired.

DB flyes:

75 x 10, 75 x 10, 75 x 8

Wow. For some reason, these felt very, very powerful. The reps may not have been overwhelmingly high, but arms were fairly straight, and they felt very controlled.

One handed pushdowns:

150 x 10/10, 130 x 10/10

Decided this was enough.

Dips:

10 paused (5 count), 5 regular. My triceps were so fried by the time I got here that these were hell.

DB front raises:

50 x 8/8, 50 x 8/8

Not too much to say here. Rah.

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 7.5 broken hours. I hate being sick.

Other- last night was interesting. I'm sure narc could tell the story better. Basically, there was an asian party at the club.. and around 2:30 a fight broke out. Pretty big one, too, but most seemed to be focus on kicking the sh*t out of this one kid. He got clocked with a bottle, hit with the heavy metal back of a chair, and looked like he was either out cold or drifting in and out of consciousness when I put him in a car. It was excellent, though. Tossed a bunch of guys, clotheslined the f*cker with the chair... and narc pretty much had a lot of fun with one of the dudes as he carted him out. We were all okay, but that kid... damn.

Anyway, shower and study time.

the doc
04-26-2003, 03:34 PM
an asian party?
were these your boyz that filmed the video?

Narcissus
04-26-2003, 03:37 PM
doc: no...those faggots in that gay r. kelly lip synch video go to duke. all the little asians at the club last night go to either unc-ch or nc state.

RG570
04-26-2003, 05:38 PM
Note to self: If you feel like beating ass, go to a state college induced asian party.

BTW belial, you are the ****. Keep it up.

Alex.V
04-27-2003, 01:57 PM
RG.... that's sig material right there. :D

Leg day... Not too bad. Didn't max out or do leg press, my knees need the break. But still got some good squatting in there. The damn bars are sh*t, though. The collar on my bar kept shifting, so when I'd step back each side would shift a good half inch from side to side. f*cks up balance. Having the spotter on the left side not dip fast enough and throw me off even more didn't help. Still, no excuses needed, I hit what I wanted to.

BB squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 6, 405 x 2, 500 x 3, 275 x 6

Not too shabby.. Lousy spotting, like I said, but good power, good depth, and comfortable form. Would have liked 4, but it was not to be.

The last 275 was done very fast and very deep about two minutes after the 500.

SLDLs:

425 x 8, 425 x 7

Lower back was protesting slightly so I stopped.

Leg extensions:

Stack x 30, stack x 20.

Wow, this was an exercise in masturbation, only without the release.

Leg curls:

Stack (200?) x 15, stack x 15

Rah.

Calf raises:

Stack x 18, stack x 14

I've decided we need bigger machines.

That was about it.

Diet- Damn good.

Sleep- 7.5 hours of sh*t. Still sniffling, coughing, etc. Woke up every two hours or so and took a half hour to get back to bed each time. dammit.

Pup
04-27-2003, 02:10 PM
I'm not worthy :bow:

the doc
04-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Wow, this was an exercise in masturbation, only without the release.

LOL! thats sig material also

Hercule
04-27-2003, 02:28 PM
B- Do you squat Olympic style or Powerlifting style?

MixmasterNash
04-27-2003, 04:56 PM
doc: no...those faggots in that gay r. kelly lip synch video go to duke. all the little asians at the club last night go to either unc-ch or nc state.

This confirms all of my suspicions about Duke. Actually, I was surprised by how many frat boys were at Duke during the Wilco concert, at least compared to UNC, which is greek central.

Anyway, as a Dookie, it eas probably fun beating the cr*p out of some Tarheels.

Alex.V
04-29-2003, 04:04 PM
I wish I had known which ones the UNC kids were. :(

Hercule- I squat wide stance, feet to edge of cage. Powerlifting style, to parallel every time.

Rob- It was all that machine work that got ya. Impressive, isn't it. I'm toning my thighs.

Back day:

Not bad, except at one point I strained too hard, my ear popped, and now my horrible earache is back with a venegance. :(

Was exhausted for some reason. Sat outside in the sun for about a half hour this morning... lost a lot of water, I think.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 12, +45 x 10, +90 x 7

Could have done 8, but the belt suddenly shifted and pinched my skin so hard that my eyes started watering. Ouch.

DB rows:

185 x 14/12 (!), 165 x 12/12

Not bad at all! I was happy with these because of the strictness of form. Full ROM, minimal cheating, controlled reps. These always draw a crowd. I gotta say... it looks like a big goddamn dumbbell.

Bi-angular rows:

10 plates x 5, 8 plates x 13

Wow, I was wiped. 10 plates felt like a ton to start. 8 was a little better. It was on the 8 that my ear popped. It is agony, I can't even close my jaw.

Concentration curls:

50 x 10/10, 50 x 10/10, 45 x 10/10

To failure on the last two sets.

Standing alternating DB curls:

60's x 9

Very strict. Didn't feel to hot on my elbow.

Hanging leg raises, 3 seconds up, 1 second hold, 3 seconds down: bw x 16

Holy mother of god. I was ready to pass out. Called it a day.

Diet- Good. Too low in calories, dammit!

Sleep- 8 hours.

That's it.

Skillz
04-29-2003, 05:01 PM
just checkin out ur journal man, ur lifts look pretty tight

got some mean backstrength, wouldnt doubt ppl watchin u up in the gym

keep up the good work!

Skillz

carolinagirl
04-29-2003, 07:04 PM
Hope you didn't bust an eardrum, big 'un. Usually they don't hurt for that long from a normal 'pop', and if you had an earache before.....yeah. You might want to get that looked at.

(There's nothing really they can do for it, I don't think. But maybe you can talk him into giving you some Celebrex? ;))

Alex.V
05-01-2003, 01:34 PM
CG- It's better now, actually. No idea what it was. I still got the god damn sniffles, though. :(

Skillz- thanks man. Appreciate it.

I'm still sick, as I said, so lifting wasn't great. Yesterday I woke up at 7, spent hours and hours in the airport and on planes with little food, then got here (to cape cod) and moved boxes for hours. Not enough calories... I was wiped when I got to the gym. So the workout was okay, with one highlight, but I guess I shouldn't have expected more.

Deadlifts:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 8, 405 x 4, 495 x 4, 585 x abort.

On reflection, I realize that 495 x 4 might have been a bit much if I was going to go heavier. All of these were full reset. Pick up, put down, stand up for a second, then dip again. So 495 felt like 4 mini-maxes. Something was aching in my lower back a little after these, and when I dipped to pull 585, I felt some discomfort. Started pulling, the bar started bending, but something felt way outta whack, so I stopped. Ah well. Better safe than sorry. No leg day this week, so I'll get some recovery in.

Conventional deadlift to static hold:

500 x 1:06

I was shocked at the length. After a while, I couldn't even feel the pain in my hands. I had my eyes half closed and just held on. The pain started in my traps and went down my back until my whole body was shaking. That apparently was at the 35 second mark or so. When I finally put the bar down (yeah, I lowered it), I could barely stand. So I didn't. Not bad, rather pleased.

Lateral raises:

60 x 10, 55 x 8, 50 x 8, 45 x 9

My traps were really, really sore.

45 x 8, 45 x 8

Ow. Yeah. Traps gone.

Hammer strength seated iso-ipso-fuko shoulder press:

8 plates (capacity) x 8, 8 plates x 6

Tired. Very tired.

Got the hell out of these.

Diet- <3500 calories. :(

Sleep- 10 hours.

That's it.

midee1
05-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Geez man go easy on us:D

495 and sick. I'm just now getting brave enough to try deads.
Well at least you give the rest of us something to shoot for.;)

All kidding aside awesome job man! As always:)

MrWebb78
05-01-2003, 05:12 PM
yeah B. Lial is the man, i wanna be him when i grow up. well, deadlift like him anyways

Skillz
05-01-2003, 05:13 PM
sick n still tearin it up! at least u got a solid work out in, even if its not up to wat u wanted it to be..those r still mean ol weights ur workiin wit, no doubt keep up the good work

Skillz

Alex.V
05-02-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by MrWebb78
yeah B. Lial is the man, i wanna be him when i grow up. well, deadlift like him anyways

That's almost quotable. :D

Midee, thanks much. It's frustrating, though... I was hoping to do 585 for a double or triple, and just didn't have the power to get it up even once. Of course, yeah, less than ideal conditions... but if I need conditions to be absolutely perfect for me to set a PR... what's the point?

Skillz- yeah, I'm glad I at least got something in. I'm probably taking the weekend off. I could use it, since I'm not really getting better as quickly as I should.

Oh, update... my traps are sore as HELL from that static hold. I can barely turn my head.

Budiak
05-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Head turning is overrated anyways.

Skillz
05-02-2003, 04:33 PM
yeah, it sucks bein sick durin work out..get well man
Skillz

Alex.V
05-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Feeling much better. Realized I wasn't eating enough, too. Scale weight dropped a bunch during that week home. Love you mom, but please, GET MORE FOOD IN THE HOUSE. ;)

So took it easy, stuffed myself yesterday, and had a pretty good back workout today. My chest workout sunday isn't even worth mentioning. The equipment, though new and slick, is almost too well-oiled, with the bar rolling like mad every time I'd unrack it, making even speed bench with 225 feel tremendously unstable. So instead I opted for some close grip hammer strength bench (up to 4 plates per side for a few) and a bunch of flyes.

Today:

back day.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 6

Realized I'm just using these as a warm up at this point. That's fine by me, I realize my wrists are still a little too funky to be able to push it.

Dumbbell rows:

205 x 9/8 (!), 185 x 9/9, 165 x 12/9

Damn power dropoff on the left side. But damn... 205 was tight. Awkward with the sized plates I had to use, but form was excellent. I am very pleased.

And the guy next to me kept reminding me it was more than he benched. I wasn't really sure what to say.

Biangular rows:

8 plates x 10, 8 plates x 10

Ugh. I was exhausted. Those dumbbell rows were HARD. But still... felt these in my lats more than usual. I think all the small surrounding muscles were too fried, made the primary movers that much easier to focus on.

Concentration curls:

55 x 10/10, 50 x 9/9, 45 x 8/8

Funny how I went down 5 pounds and 1 rep on each. Last few reps on each hand at 45 were assisted with the opposite hand. Slow negative at the end of each.

Cable curls:

Stack (200) x 12

Done.

Diet- Finally, enough calories.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

RG570
05-06-2003, 12:42 PM
How the hell did you load 205 on there? Even with i plate loading dumbell with 25s, doesnt that mess with your ROM? lol, i totally know what your talking about with the calorie battle, you vs. mom. :D

WillKuenzel
05-06-2003, 12:49 PM
My god it does workout! How about that?

And the guy next to me kept reminding me it was more than he benched. I wasn't really sure what to say. "Spot me, stick boy, " is always a valid response.

Alex.V
05-06-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by RG570
How the hell did you load 205 on there? Even with i plate loading dumbell with 25s, doesnt that mess with your ROM? lol, i totally know what your talking about with the calorie battle, you vs. mom. :D

I've got pretty long arms... 25's let me bring the dumbbell up pretty damn high, the plates touch my chest, and that means my hand, since it's off to the side, is only abour 3-4" down. To get the 205, I needed to use a 35 on each side as well, but that only shortened the ROM by an inch or so, since I angled the dumbbell at the top. It was an ugly looking piece of equipment.

HY- Don't mock. :( It was a hard week.

How does one spot on dumbbell rows?

ectx
05-06-2003, 01:01 PM
Hey Bro, you row more than I bench.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

and stop whining you baby

Relentless
05-06-2003, 01:01 PM
you need to find something denser than iron to lift maybe . . .

perhaps some depleted uranium olympic weights? :D

WillKuenzel
05-06-2003, 01:04 PM
I don't know how you spot it but it seems to scare people when you ask them to spot you when you are using above average weight.

If you were shorter, had long hair, a nice butt, some big boobs and your name was Ecstasy I could think of a few ways to spot you. Not that I really know what that has to do with anything but it just gave me a nice visual. Not you of course.

Skillz
05-06-2003, 04:29 PM
205 on dumbbell rows? thas sum mad weight
Skillz

midee1
05-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Damn awesome shoulder strength B

Keep up the hard work. It is helpful to us all.:thumbup:

Alex.V
05-08-2003, 01:29 PM
ec... don't start with me, boy.

Cal- They won't even buy dumbbells heavier than 110 at the university gym. I doubt they'd honor that request. lol.

HY- .... don't look at me like that.

Skillz- thanks man. It looked like it on that silly handle, I gotta say. :D Always been proud of these.

midee- I appreciate it. I'm depressed I can't do any free weight overhead presses, though. They used to be one of my strongest lifts. :(

And it was a damn good deadlift day. Sumos are still not blazing like they used to, but did a few other nifty things.

Sumo deads:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 315 x 4, 405 x 3

I'm loving what doing these explosively is doing for my form and confidence. I'm exploding up so fast that 405 feels like it's going to fly out of my hands. Of course, as much as these are helping my speed, what I realize now is that they're also exhausting. Putting everything you have into 405 for three individual reps is exhausting, just because there's so much effort involved even if the weight is far off a max. So these might actually be making my heavy set suffer.

Then I did something a little different..

Sumo dead:

585 x 1

...45 second pause.

Conventional dead:

585 x 1 (!)

Huge conventional PR for me all around. It just flew up, I almost couldn't believe the ease which it came off the floor. Had enough speed that lockout wasn't too difficult either.

I'm wondering if my conventional, if I worked at it, would be as strong as my sumo.

All of these were chalk only, no belt.

Then....

Conventional dead to static hold:

500 x 1:16

Had a guy time me. He said it was the most insane thing he's ever seen. I flat out collapsed afterwards.

It was awesome. But I have no idea why I keep doing these.

Lateral raises:

60 x 10, 55 x 8, 50 x 8, 45 x 9

Wicked pump!

:help:

45 x 10, 45 x 8

So tired.

Diet- excellent!

Sleep- Kinda not enough last few days.

that's it.

YoBrickWall
05-08-2003, 02:57 PM
yo belial- first time looking in. AWESOME workout.
for deadlifts, which do u prefer sumo or conv.? thanks.

ybw

Alex.V
05-08-2003, 03:48 PM
ybw, thanks for stopping in. I used to pull sumo only... my conventional was over 150 pounds behind it. But lately it's shot up... I'm trying to figure out if I might be better built for it.

Skillz
05-08-2003, 05:34 PM
both conventional and sumo r tearin it up....i should try sumo sumtime, n see how i do at that

also glad to see u got away from that illness u had for a bit there too
Skillz

Isaac Wilkins
05-08-2003, 05:39 PM
ybw, thanks for stopping in. I used to pull sumo only... my conventional was over 150 pounds behind it. But lately it's shot up... I'm trying to figure out if I might be better built for it.

Go to the light, Belial... Go to the light...

YoBrickWall
05-09-2003, 10:02 AM
yo belial- im gonna try the sumo tonight. i gotta feeling that my sumo is gonna be 150lbs behind my con. style. will let u know.

im looking to get back to 200lbs and 10% again. man, 230 at 10, that is great. hoping to get to 220 at 10 way down the road. nevered weighed that much though.

ybw

YoBrickWall
05-09-2003, 09:13 PM
yo- tried the sumo. no go yet. that angle pulls on my sore rib. still tender from the show

ybw

RG570
05-09-2003, 09:15 PM
I HATE SUMO!!!!

Alex.V
05-09-2003, 11:52 PM
ybw.. that's too bad, man. I'd avoid deads altogether if that's the problem. I mean, conventional doesn't aggravate it at all? And yeah, I got the LBM.. but I don't carry it as well as you do, that's for sure. Damn short muscle bellies all over the place.. biceps, calves, pecs, lats... :(

RG- they rule!

heathen.

RG570
05-09-2003, 11:57 PM
im not a heathen... i dropped the weight on my foot today when i was doing sumos :(

Alex.V
05-09-2003, 11:58 PM
Poor baby. :(

*snicker*

RG570
05-10-2003, 12:00 AM
:redface:

Franjipani
05-11-2003, 10:15 AM
...I got the LBM.. but I don't carry it as well as you do, that's for sure. Damn short muscle bellies all over the place.. biceps, calves, pecs, lats...

:scratch:

Who the hell are you talking about? It can't be you....

Pup
05-11-2003, 03:43 PM
Nice work on the conventional alex...585 is just mean *flex*

Hercule
05-12-2003, 08:34 AM
B- Do you use straps during your deadlift/shoulder workouts? I know that you don't when deadlifting, but what about on shoulder work? After all the deadlifting and static holds, can you still manage to hold the dumbells good?

Alex.V
05-12-2003, 04:54 PM
Hercule, no, I don't really do shrugs or the like.. after deadlifts and static holds, all I do are lateral raises, and the 60's aren't really enough to need straps. If I did do heavy shrugs after, I'd definitely use them.

Pup, thanks man. It's such a different technique, it feels like a completely separate lift.

Franji, you know I have some serious issues with my aesthetics in that regard. ;)

Finally, a workout!

I did a chest workout with Franji and CG, but everything was rather substandard after 3 hours of sleep the night before, so I didn't even bother updating. Wasn't bad, but.... ech. I was just frustrated. But today was legs, for the first time in over two weeks.

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 315 x 8, 405 x 2, 500 x 1

Just easing along. I'm not going to go for any PRs until I get my new belt.

SLDLs:

405 x 12

Didn't want to exhaust my back, so one set was it.

Leg press:

20 plates x 10, 20 plates x 10

These felt more solid than usual, I think the tempo was slower, but the power was better out of the bottom.

Calf raises on leg press sled:

20 plates x 16, 20 plates x 14

Calf raises on machine:

Stack x 16, stack x 12

With pause. Rah.

Leg extensions:

312 x 25

No clue why I even bother. Followed these up with 16 reps at 200 on hamstring curls.

And got out of there.

Diet- pretty damn good.

Sleep- 7.5 hours. Finally. :D

Jane
05-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Yo.

You need to change my quote in your profile. I have said so much more important things than that, and besides, you made that quote up. :)

Alex.V
05-14-2003, 01:52 PM
Did not!

My wrist sucks. I am tired of it, I would like a new one. Why am I so injury plagued?

Anyway, back workout. Skipped the pull-ups, since, you guessed it, they hurt my wrist.

DB rows:

210 x 8/8 (!), 185 x 9/8, 165 x 14/9

Wow. Truly a pathetic strength differential on that last set. Even on the heavier sets, it was obvious. The right arm on 210 was tight and even throughout, and failed near the top on rep 8. The left arm was a little loose and sloppy, and almost failed near the top on reps 6 and 7, before barely coming up on the 8th after a lot of struggling.

I guess I should really go left arm first, eh? Even though there's a pause between arms.

Either way, pleased with these. Much stronger in the beginning of a workout.

Bi-angular row:

10 plates + 50 pounds x 4
8 plates x 10
8 plates x 8

First set good, second set excellent, third set lackluster.

Lat pulldowns, overhand grip, shoulder width apart:

Stack (265) x 13

At this point my biceps were feeling a little strain, so I decided to stop and get on with them.

Concentration curls:

50's x 10/10, 45's x 11/10, 45's x 8/8 (last on left side with a little assist)

Exciting!

Hammer curls:

65's x 12

That was it. Just not feeling up to another set, and my arms were toast.

Diet- Pretty damn good.

Sleep- 8 hours.

And tomorrow classes start!

Hercule
05-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Damn. Those DB rows are EXTREMELY impressive. Great job man:thumbup:

WillKuenzel
05-14-2003, 02:28 PM
You row more one handed than what I bench. ;)

Damn, man you row in one hand more than I weigh!

Damn, man you row in one hand more than I weigh!

:p

chris mason
05-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Hey B, can you get a video of those rows? I just can't see how you are doing them. I have a pretty strong upper back and there is no way I am going to row with that much weight for that many reps (at least not in the manner I am used to).

Plus, it would be cool to see someone rowing with that much weight.

Alex.V
05-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Sure. Anthony isn't around, so I don't have a digital videocamera handy, but I'll see what I can do. If nothing else, maybe I can take a few stills at various points in the movement.

One thing to mention, if you're used to rowing with actual dumbbells, the ROM is different. When I go over 180-185, I have to use 35's on there, so those smack the chest.

HY, at least you didn't say it's more than you bench.

Hercule, thanks much. :)

the doc
05-14-2003, 04:37 PM
hey alex when i come down the weekend after next i could record a couple of sessions with my digi cam

GhettoSmurf
05-14-2003, 06:17 PM
wow 210 on the DB row. seriously nice.

... kind of freaky thinking you could row me with one arm...

Hercule
05-14-2003, 07:55 PM
LoL, he can row more with one arm than I can with 2 :(

midee1
05-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Damn B I bet your handy as hell to have around to start the lawnmower.:D

All kidding aside freakin awesome strength.

Uncle Luke
05-14-2003, 08:35 PM
wow belial you are soooo strong!

rookiebldr
05-14-2003, 10:54 PM
tuttut

ectx
05-15-2003, 01:30 AM
nicely done foo' So what is that...a 1 inch range of motion?

Alex.V
05-15-2003, 06:40 PM
Doc- definitely!

Ghettosmurf, midee, thanks guys. But... honestly, these have not gone up much lately. Only a rep over my previous PR that I set a few months ago, dammit.

Uncle luke. Welcome to my journal. Thanks for the kind words, but no, I won't have sex with you.

ec- kiss my ass.

And deadlifts today! I realized this day can be fun if I let it.

Deadlifts:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 315 x 6, 405 x 3, 605 x 1.75

Dammit, I really can't do heavy doubles! Regardless of how much or how little weight, it's like once I hit six plates, I can keep adding weight for singles, but god forbid I complete a second rep!

dammit.

Deadlifts, conventional:

605 x hahahaha

It's not a good sign when your body laughs mockingly at you. :(

Deadlift to static hold:

515 x 49 seconds.

It was great. Amazing, though... the extra few pounds, and I could feel the weight after 10 seconds. Systemic shock took over around 30 seconds (I had a guy calling out 15 second increments), and I lost feeling in my arms. Legs were trembling, and my eyes were open but I couldn't really see anything.

It was awesome.

Lateral raises:

60's x 8, 50's x 10, 45's x 10

45's x 10, 45's x 10

Not bad, all of these felt good. No momentum, cranked out a few extra reps when I already thought I was spent.

Finished up with one set of calf raises, two sets of hanging leg raises, and a little bit of rotator work.

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

Meat_Head
05-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Simply amazing. I read through your journal and your progress. When you started you were an average guy, average size and strength. In about 2 years, you've become a human gorilla.

Mad props to your progress man, and keep goin, 605 deadlifts is incredible. Are you planning on competing in any bodybuilding or powerlifting contests soon?

Alex.V
05-17-2003, 01:23 PM
Human gorilla.. I like that. Actually, man, the 605 deadlift is a good way off my max. But a few weeks of lackluster workouts, and I felt the need to back off in weight and re-evaluate form, give my body a break, etc.

Powerlifting and bodybuilding? Probably both, at some point. Powerlifting is the side I'm far more interested in, I don't have the genetics to do well in a BB competition, but... hell, if I can do both, I may as well do both.

Chest day.

Not too bad... I realized today it's pure tricep strength that's holding me back. Delts, pecs, and lats are stronger than ever, but I think my tris are actually losing a little bit of power. It's to be expected... with my left wrist completely f*cked up, and both my elbows experiencing tendonitis on and off, I've been backing off in weight and taking it easy on the tricep work. Hence, bench is stagnating.

For this, I'm dropping the seated skulls, and switching to close grip bench press, starting next week.

Bench press:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 2, 345 x 1, 225 x 12

The final set of 225 was done as follows: Quick eccentric, full three second count on the chest, explode up, complete another quick rep, then back down for a pause. So 6 paused reps, 6 fast reps. 345 felt okay, but balance is still a little off.

Seated skulls, for the last time in a while:

175 x 10, 185 x 8

Eh.

DB flyes:

75 x 10, 75 x 9, 75 x 9

Pretty good, nice extension on them, discomfort nil.

Tricep pushdowns (one handed)

150 x 10/10, 150 x 8/8, 130 x 10/10

Better than usual, just because there was no elbow discomfort and form was tight.

Didn't do front raises, whoops.

That was about it. I just need some food right now.

Diet- pretty good.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

Other: My butt is still aching from deads on thursday. Oh, and why does organic chem need to start out with 3-4 days of the sh*t I HATED from general chemistry? ugh.

Alex.V
05-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Oh my god I want to die.

My brain is not working well at all.

Leg day:

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 10, 405 x 3, 545 x miss

Down too slow, dropped at the bottom. Might have had it, might not. Eh, whatever. I'm going to keep working at this weight until I f*cking get it. I'm tired of not progressing in squats like I should.

SLDLs:

405 x 10, 405 x 10

These were too easy. I'm torn between wanting to bump these up, and leaving them be so as not to exhaust my back/hammies.

Leg press strip set:

20 plates x 6
18 plates x 6
16 plates x 5
14 plates x 6
12 plates x 5
10 plates x 5
8 plates x 5
6 plates x 5
4 plates x 5
2 plates x 5

I had tunnel vision for a good 5-10 minutes after these were done. Matt pushed me on them, which was f*cking excellent. I think I started cursing at him, but sh*t... this was a damn good set. Long, too.. a good 2:00-2:30, judging by the music I had playing. Seriously, though, I am still having trouble thinking straight.

Calf raises:

Stack x 12, stack x 12, stack x 14

Could barely keep my legs straight.

That was it. I can't believe how fried that single set made me. Good lord.

Sleep- 8 hours.

Diet- excellent.

That's it.

god damn.

Magnus
05-19-2003, 06:38 PM
Why do you do strip sets??

midee1
05-19-2003, 07:30 PM
What size plates do you use on strip sets B? If they are 45's then holy sh@t what leg strength

:eek:

Alex.V
05-19-2003, 07:34 PM
Magnus, to make my legs bigger of course! And also some bullsh*t about improving work capacity. But that's kinda secondary. :D

Midee, they are indeed 45's. :)

RG570
05-19-2003, 07:40 PM
GPP is a crock of horse sh1t :angel:

Skillz
05-19-2003, 09:31 PM
B's complaining about missing a 545 squat while the rest of us over here struggling to get up to 4 plates lol :D
Skillz

Alex.V
05-21-2003, 05:14 PM
GPP?

Skillz, it's all relative, man. Stagnation is stagnation!

Speaking of stagnation... back workout today. My quads are so sore that my legs buckle if I, um, step too lustily. In other words, stairs suck, walking sucks, and getting out of a chair is hell. It's been too long since I had this feeling. :D

But, the downside... even just rowing hurt, bracing one leg against the bench and another against the ground... ack. And my left thumb/wrist is still bugging me, so I didn't do pullups again.

DB rows:

195 x 8/6+2, 175 x 14/13, 165 x 8/8

6+2 was me doing 6 reps, then somehow letting the bar rotate, which torqued my wrist to hell. So I put it down, switched to a false grip (good straps, eh?), and did 2 more. Second set I was pleased with, last set was very eh.

Bi-angular row:

10 plates x 7, 8 plates x 12, 8 plates x 6

Was quite tired. Felt slightly sick on the last set... maybe the two pound steak for lunch was a bad idea.... :(

Concentration curls:

50 x 10/10, 50 x 8/8

Hammer curls:

80 x 8/8, 80 x 7/6

What a low volume day this turned out to be, relatively speaking.

And thus ended my joy for the day. Chemistry time. Yahoo.

Diet- Pretty good!

Sleep- 7 hours, give or take.

Das' it.

Pup
05-21-2003, 07:43 PM
You're my hero :bow:

ps...learn to answer your goddamn AIM for once you bastard :swear:

rookiebldr
05-21-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Pup
You're my hero :bow:

Do you think this *points above* will help on this *points below*

Originally posted by Pup
ps...learn to answer your goddamn AIM for once you bastard :swear:

If so, then... Alex, you're my hero :bow:

Alex.V
05-21-2003, 08:51 PM
lol. Thanks y'all. Sorry, you know I turned the idle indicator off that thing. So chances are, I'm really not there. Add that to my frequent disconnects, and I hardly ever get IMs unless I'm there to begin with. So don't take it personally. :)

Update- Something is wrong with my left hip. It just started, but I can't walk. I actually lost my balance on the kitchen mat, and almost wiped out, but caught myself... on my sore left leg. Seemed okay, but then I sat down.. and when I got back up this pain started. Something is messed up, and it hurts so badly when I walk that I feel like vomiting. I'm trying to figure out what it is now.

RG570
05-21-2003, 11:00 PM
maybe you have hip dysplacia... you oghta talk to your breeder and see if it runs in your bloodline.

Alex.V
05-21-2003, 11:05 PM
I should just be euthanized, really. Happens to big dogs, I'm not about to pay for therapy.

Budiak
05-22-2003, 01:18 AM
Therapy only costs 17 dollars a bottle, dude.

WillKuenzel
05-22-2003, 06:56 AM
That damn kitchen mat and your door mat are the worst things ever. I damn neared wiped out every time I stepped on either. Put some double sided tape on the bottom or something.

Hope it gets better quick like.

Relentless
05-22-2003, 07:08 AM
let us know how that hip thing turns out; maybe you strained something on leg day that is just manifesting now?

Just some girl
05-22-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by RG570
maybe you have hip dysplacia... you oghta talk to your breeder and see if it runs in your bloodline.

oh my god, thats pretty damn funny.

and um...be careful alex. try to stop breaking yourself. (like that's actually gonna work, but hey, i had to say it.)

;)

midee1
05-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Hey B

I feel your pain. I get these occasionally after leg day. Makes it hard to stand up. Hurts like hell. Best of luck recover quickly.:D

IceRgrrl
05-23-2003, 06:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your hip...you going to go get it checked out? If you're in that much pain, you probably should. Take it easy, eh? :)

Pup
05-23-2003, 06:35 AM
I understand the hip thing bro, screwed mine up last winter, sucks ass, maybe you'll have to give up lifting all together and start doing Pilates *snicker*

WillKuenzel
05-23-2003, 07:31 AM
Do we need to get you a walker and one of those transmitters incase you fall and can't get up? :p

Just some girl
05-23-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
...you going to go get it checked out?

that would be the smart thing to do, wouldn't it? But what are the chances of that happening? He'd sooner pry it open himself and have a look. Silly self medicater.

IceRgrrl
05-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Yeah, well...I understand that mentality too. If it doesn't kill you, it'll probably get better eventually. And when you do go to the doctor they usually have one of two responses:

a) "That part hurts? Okay then, don't do anything with it until it stops hurting"

OR

b) "That parts hurts? Here's several scripts for brand-name pharmaceuticals...take this pain medication, and this muscle relaxer, and this anti-inflammatory and you shouldn't feel anything"

WillKuenzel
05-23-2003, 10:48 AM
OR

3) "Oh Jesus what have you done?! Get your ass into surgery right now before that **** gets any worse and we have to amputate!" :p

IceRgrrl
05-23-2003, 10:56 AM
LOL! Speaking from real life experience, HY? ;)

WillKuenzel
05-23-2003, 10:59 AM

rookiebldr
05-23-2003, 11:14 AM
or

4) Get your affairs in order, NOW!!!! ;)

Just some girl
05-23-2003, 01:24 PM
no, i do understand the view, and i agree with it sometimes. its just that every now and then they do know a thing or two that is useful.

Alex.V
05-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Aww, u all luv me so much!

*Huggies 4 every 1!!!!!*

Seriously, though, I do appreciate the concern. Whatever the hip issue is, the pain is definitely subsiding. I was very cautious today while deadlifting, but the motion didn't aggravate it in the least. Walking to the bar was the only time I felt discomfort. If it does get aggravated somehow, I will take it to the doc, and get my thumb checked out at the same time. But as long as both are actually feeling better day to day, I really just don't have the time, money, or inclination to have some doc look at it and prescribe painkillers that I already have. I'd have serious trouble getting sent to a specialist. F*ck my HMO.

Andrea, I really do appreciate you worrying about me, honestly. But at the same time, the last thing I want to do is hurt myself. That would REALLY frustrate me, and I'm not THAT obsessed with the here and now that I'd risk serious injury for the sake of progressing in the present.

Honest. :)

Like I said, deads went just fine, given everything. (including lingering leg soreness from that damn drop set)

Deadlifts:

135 x 10, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 4 (explosive), 615 x 1.5

Dammit, the second one came 8-9" off the floor, which is by far the hardest part... then I started losing balance. Grrr. Oh well. The first rep was easy enough. (relatively speaking).

Conventional deadlift to static hold:

545 x 45 seconds

The timer starts when my legs are locked, and ends when I basically drop the bar. This is a b*tch, especially since getting it off the ground is tough. Funny, though.. in the mirror, when I started out, I could see just my timer watching.. Then people slowly started turning around and staring. I looked absolutely hideous, too. Great.

I mean, not that I, uh, care.

Lateral raises:

60's x 10, 55's x 8, 50's x 10, 45's x 10

45's x 10, 45's x 10

For some reason, these were extremely exhausting today.

Hanging leg raises: 2 sets of 12

Some quick rotator work with 45 lbers (low rep. lol)

That was it.

Diet- pretty good!

Sleep- 6+2 hours. Damn the TV.

Other- I couldn't stand it. Over a week of rain was killing my mood. I craved some UV light, so I went tanning. It's amazing what it does for your mood, I feel better than I have in days.

RG570
05-23-2003, 05:28 PM
just out of curiosity, why do you do those giant static sets? Does it help out your lockout strength, or just you like letting everybody know how much of a badass you are?

Alex.V
05-23-2003, 05:33 PM
A huge part of it is grip strength, they do a number on my forearms like nothing else I've ever tried.

Something else is overall stability, holding a load like that and maintaining balance isn't easy.

A third, yes, is some lockout strength, but again, focused on balance.

They also work the traps very well.

And finally... they are FUN. I lift for fun, I enjoy it, and these are a rush.

Pup
05-23-2003, 05:38 PM
I reiterate what i said before...you are my hero :bow:

Alex.V
05-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Rob, you the man. :bow:

Chest day, not a bad one either. Kinda getting back into this a little.. my wrist is holding me back because of how it affects my hand orientation, but overall I'm still feeling like I can make progress. Not today. heh. but soon!

BB bench:

135 x 12, 225 x 12, 315 x 2, 335 x 1, 355 x 1, 375 x 1

Pretty good speed on all of these.. 375, I hit a sticking point about 6" off my chest, but managed to power through.

Close grip bench:

275 x 8, 295 x 5

I was toasted by the second set. I'm actually pleased with these, considering it's been ages since I've done em. I might start doing heavier singles on these, since the angle doesn't bother my wrist or shoulders in the least, and the translation to regular bench is very good.

DB flyes:

75 x 10, 70 x 8, 70 x 8

Kept my arms straighter than usual on these, and I could feel the difference. Yark.

One-handed tricep pushdowns:

160 x 10/10, 160 x 8/8, 120 x 10/10

Very tight, I was EXTREMELY happy with the first set. Probably a PR, but it's silly to even monitor these on machine lifts. (leverages and pulleys, etc., make the poundage meaningless).

DB front raises:

50's x 10, 40's x 10

Ouch. Finished off with solid, slow sets here. Minimal momentum, just tight lifting.

That was it. Everybody is so concerned about my injuries, it's really quite sweet. Even my spotter. Who decided he'd give me an earful of tips. They were good tips, too. Not that I'm too good at taking well-meant advice most of the time. ;)

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 6+2 hours.

I think I'm getting sick. Throat hurts. God damn it. Can't I just be healthy? Please?

Budiak
05-24-2003, 09:21 PM
WTF is the Bi-angular row?

Alex.V
05-27-2003, 03:45 PM
Budiak, I am not posting that damn picture again. It's like a hammer strength machine.

And, jesus, two days with no update and I'm on page three.

:( Nobody loves me. They read, but don't post.

Today I did back. And I am sick. My throat is killing me. *whine whine*

Yeah, I know. But it kinda makes it hard to get pumped up when a quick inhale hurts, messes up my zone a bit.

DB rows:

205 x 8/8, 175 x 8/8, 165 x 13/10, 165 x 8/7

MUST bring up the left side. It's sad how much weaker it is. And I keep talking about this, but never do anything for it. Anyway, by the first light set my throat started burning... I guess the drugs I took this morning before my orgo test started wearing off. Bleh.

Bi-angular row:

10 plates + 20 pounds x 5 or 6, 8 plates x 10, 8 plates x 8

Not too sure on the number of reps. Either way, these kinda sucked. Though I was pleased with the tempo of the reps, and my ROM was fairly good for most of them.

At this point I was too disappointed to keep doing back.

Concentration curls:

55's x 8/8, 45's x 10/10

Crossbody hammers:

90's x 7/7, 75's x 8/8

Good form here, actually felt these in the target muscle. Woo! That's a new one. (Not really)

Cable curls:

200 x 12, 200 x 10

Curl jockey! Too bad my arms don't reflect the fact that I work them at all. :-(

That was it. I left. I now feel like ass. But my back is pleasantly worked.

Diet- Good.

Sleep- 7.5 hours of fitful rest.

That's it.

midee1
05-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Yea B we read but we are not worthy to post to someone of your caliber.:D

I tried your static hold yesterday and boy do my traps and shoulders ache.:) Didn't believe it would do any good.
Did it on the 6th rep at 205(thats almost my max) not close to you but hurt like hell none the less.

Get well and get back into the swing of things.:cool:

Jane
05-27-2003, 05:33 PM
And, jesus, two days with no update and I'm on page three.

:( Nobody loves me.
Jesus loves you!! FIGHT TRUTH DECAY!!!?@!!@!!111!

chris mason
05-27-2003, 05:37 PM
I'm afraid if I post here I will either get sick or get injured;) .

Pup
05-27-2003, 08:05 PM
Sucks now that you don't have monstar to bump your journal 5000 times a day eh alex ;)

McBain
05-28-2003, 02:11 AM
i saw this on a tea-towel the other day and thought maybe this was the inspiration for a certain WBB nickname??

pretty (http://www.geocities.com/charleskeng5/narcissu.htm)

:scratch:

IceRgrrl
05-28-2003, 06:02 AM
This is just for you Alex, because I know you can fully appreciate it AND I know how much you love really bad jokes :p

"It takes alkynes to make the world go 'round."

IceRgrrl
05-28-2003, 06:08 AM
And for an encore, I submit to you the following:

*ahem*

A mosquito cried out in pain:
"A chemist has poisoned my brain!"
The cause of his sorrow
was para-dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane!

(paraDichloroDiphenylTrichloroethane is the the full name for DDT)

;)

Budiak
05-28-2003, 06:29 AM
Midee, if you did that hold on your sixth rep and were able to static hold it, I'll wager that it was not 'almost' your max. You probably have another 40lbs in you, and that aint almost.

WillKuenzel
05-28-2003, 08:09 AM
LOL, geez one comment about not being loved and you get spammed all to hell. :D

Is the wrist getting any better?

:spam:

the doc
05-28-2003, 03:36 PM
lmao@icer

the doc
05-28-2003, 05:15 PM
hey alex i am really sorry i wasn't able to make it this weekend :(

Hercule
05-28-2003, 06:58 PM
OH MY GOD!!! PLEASE TELL ME THAT IS FAKE!

Scott S
05-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Oh god, not this picture again!

barffff...

heathj
05-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Nice job on the 375 and those concentration curls are looking ace! *grumble*curl jockey *grumble* Bastard :p

Midee, do you REALLY need to post that picture?