PDA

View Full Version : HEY, why not.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18

heathj
12-22-2003, 06:11 PM
A squat lunge?

I can guess what it is, but 755 doing that would be impossible...So what is it?

ectx
12-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Actually, **** that, see if you can scandalize the girl. It'd be hilarious. :) But yeah, gal and rene especially, sorry guys, I've missed a bunch of your IMs, I do truly suck.

Admitting that you suck is half the battle. No sweat culoface. I kind of figured you were at your folks place, so I held back...just a little. Hope all is well. Have a good Christmas bron'. Started MCAT prep work yet? get on it assface, I need a good endocrinologist who can hook me up.

Alex.V
12-24-2003, 12:50 PM
God ****ing dammit, ****ing site is running so slowly, that the page crashed, lost my entire long post, replies to people and everything. **** it, I'm not typing all that crap out again.

Basically, heath, it's a rack you load plates on. Load them next to the handles, whole point of the thing is basically to give you something other than a bar to load things on. Do them conventional deadlift style, so yes, I lifted 755 on it.

Rene- no MCATs for at least a year or so, so no prep.

Will- :cool:

So, since I'm just sitting around, not doing much these days.. did a slightly more extensive lower body workout.

Deadlifts:

135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 5, 405 x 4, 495 x 2, 605 x 2

These were good, been a while since I really did some deadlifts... Lack of chalk (or, at least, them getting mad if it's visible) hampered me a bit. Lousy floor also isn't good (foamy, extends ROM at first) But still, nice to do these, didn't push it too much by trying to max, especially since I wanted to do some squats:

Squats, no belt or wraps:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 4

No rack here, so I didn't trust my spotter to catch me if I fell. This is as heavy as I felt safe going. Too bad, were there a rack I might have grabbed my belt and done some work over 500.

Leg press: 10 plates x 15, 10 plates x 12

Whack machine... 10 plates felt MUCH harder than 10 plates on a 45 degree machine. The mechanics make this almost a vertical lift. Felt nice.

Seated calf raises, 5 plates x 12, 5 plates x 10

Finished up with hanging leg raises, got out of there.

Diet- mediocre. My family has nothing to snack on, so it's mostly been gorging on some pretty high fat meals. Eh, no worries. That's not so far out of the ordinary anyway.

Sleep- 7-8 hours a night. Not active enough to warrant more. lol.

That's it. Merry Christmas, everybody! I'll be actually back to posting soon, I hope. :)

Alex.V
12-24-2003, 12:50 PM
And yes, I know, I DID type all that crap out again. But the tantrum felt good.

JustinASU
12-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Haven't been around in your journal for a while Alex but you always seem to be getting stronger. That CGBP a couple pages back was truely impressive ( like you haven't heard that enough). I just don't get how you eat junk food constantly, never seem to cut or bulk (or at least don't make it obvious) yet stay at 10% while ripping out more weight like it was nothing. If you'd like you can PM me your super-human secrets so I can be the next Belial.

midee1
12-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Hey Belial,

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Wikked1
12-25-2003, 06:30 AM
Merry Christmas dude

Alex.V
12-25-2003, 01:15 PM
Justin, I do NOT eat junk food.

Seriously. What's junk food like about a burger? :D

Nah, but I'm cleaning up my diet where I can. The overall may seem bad, but I balance out the macros pretty well with shakes, get my supplemental vitamins and minerals, etc. I think my progress might be a bit better if I really buckled down, but... eh. :)

Merry Christmas, everyone.

ectx
12-25-2003, 06:34 PM
Merry Christmas, everyone.

Merry Christmas to you too...culoface.

Alex.V
12-26-2003, 03:48 PM
Culoface THIS!

*makes pertinent gesture*

I worked out again! Wow. Yeah, but nothing exceptional whatsoever. Same substandard equipment as last time... basically did my chest/triceps routine, bu not having a bar I trust, I didn't go remotely heavy on anything. Also did some rotator cuff work for the first time in ages... shoulder's feeling ok. Was considering just doing light regular grip bench, but decided it wasn't worth doing with equipment I could trust, even if I was only doing high rep sets at 225.

Anyway, so, that was about it. But my dad got into the post christmas day sale mode... went out and bought some stuff for himself, then found me a leather jacket he thought would look good... so he bought it for me.

Go dad.

Diet's been ok, real junk food, but I been doing my best. Sleep's been exceptional. And my under armour tank top looks obscene. So I only took off the outer shirt when I couldn't stand the heat anymore. Kinda fun, though.

SUCH a meathead. I know.

And that's my update. Hopefully next lower body day will be more exciting.

rookiebldr
01-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Hey, do you still workout anymore or is it just party time now. ;)

midee1
01-07-2004, 05:16 AM
:windup:

JustinASU
01-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Alex is was great meeting you this weekend. I think I should prolly get my ass to the Dukie gym every now and then for some inspiration, esp. after that dead. BTW did you notice that every Dukie in that gym save you and your friends are a buncha crunching and curling pansies?

Alex.V
01-11-2004, 05:10 PM
lol. Justin, of course they are. That's part of the fun of working out in there. :D

Actually, there are some serious guys in there, big strong fellas, they're just few and far between. You definitely need to get down to work out with us more often.

And I know I've been terrible with updates. I've just never been this spotty in my workouts, and it's really taking its toll on my lifts... I'm back on track, though, and after this first week or two of shaky lifting, I should be up in poundages again.

Bleh. But worked out with will, justin, isaac, jeff, and heatherer... will's girlfriend made a cameo one time... good times, ****ty lifting on my part, but good folks all of them. I'll update more later, but just wanted to put SOMETHING down here.

Alex.V
01-14-2004, 07:00 PM
I still lift, I swear!

Things have been off lately.. lifting over vacation sucked, and it's been hard trying to move my schedule around.. I actually have more class time this semester than ever, and most of it seems centered around my normal lifting times. But I'm working something out... most lifts are just maintaining, I'm limbering up to back where I was... today was a bit lackluster as per usual, but I feel good enough to believe that I might be pushing new weight within the next month or so. Always encouraging.

CGBP:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 1, 335 x 1

Just to warm up, really.

Regular grip bench:

225 x 6, 265 x 4

Paused regular grip bench:

265 x 4

These are absurdly easy, but my shoulder's still tight at the bottom. I'm going to be religious about wide grip benching... I'm healthy enough, just stiff. I need to get back to big poundages here, f*ck this close grip shiat, I won't ever compete with it, so why am I bothering at this point?

Bi-angular row:

10 plates x 8, 8 plates x 10, 8 plates x 8

Nothing spectacular, but these feel pretty damn good actually.

Concentration curls with the 55's, hammers with the 85's.

Reverse grip pulldowns:

250 x 12, 250 x 10

And ten minutes of sprints on the bike, 2 minute warm up, lvl 10, 90 RPM, 4 20 second sprints, lvl 20, 145 RPM, then a quick walk to cool down. Not bad, only a little winded on the second and third sprint. Trying to work up to 8 sprints total over a 20 minute workout, that should be plenty (along with rugby) to get my endurance up to where it needs to be.

Diet's actually been decent. Still doing the fast food thing, but focusing more on solid, healthy snacks in between. I'm actually using the kitchen again, amazingly enough, and cutting down on the beer. Mostly because I can't afford it. *sigh*

But that's it. I should be back in good form soonly.

Sleep- averaging 7 hours, yet I'm still lethargic. whateva.

MixmasterNash
01-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Drink PBR. Cheap and good. And good for you.

Isaac Wilkins
01-14-2004, 09:02 PM
Yeah, Alex, help Heath clear some of that stuff out.

;)

Scott S
01-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Y'know, Keystone Light is also surprisingly good for the price.

What stuff are you doing to keep your shoulder healthy? External rotations, cuban rotations...?

WillKuenzel
01-15-2004, 09:12 AM
And ten minutes of sprints on the bike, 2 minute warm up, lvl 10, 90 RPM, 4 20 second sprints, lvl 20, 145 RPM, then a quick walk to cool down. Not bad, only a little winded on the second and third sprint. Trying to work up to 8 sprints total over a 20 minute workout, that should be plenty (along with rugby) to get my endurance up to where it needs to be.
:eek:

What the hell is that?!

Isaac Wilkins
01-15-2004, 09:31 AM

What the hell is that?!

Don't let him fool you. He's not doing it for endurance, he's trying to lean out. ;)

Keep this up, son, and you'll drop a couple of percent bodyfat pretty quick, as long as you don't compensate with beer.

Wikked1
01-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Sam Adams light best tasting light beer hands down......nice curling .....85 lb hammer curls shiat!

fuzz
01-15-2004, 12:41 PM

What the hell is that?!

I think its another language.

I pretty sure its CHINESE.

midee1
02-01-2004, 12:53 PM
:windup:

Halfway down page 4???????????

BCC
02-01-2004, 12:56 PM
HEY, why not...workout. You lazy joto.

Alex.V
02-02-2004, 10:46 PM
I know, it's pathetic, much like my workouts as of late. I will post tomorrow's, I need to get some god damn accountability for my recent slacking. Argh. I also need to stop unintentionally dieting!

WillKuenzel
02-02-2004, 11:24 PM
You trying to keep that girlie figure, huh?

Alex.V
02-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Apparently so. I'm leaner, but have definitely dropped some muscle. Which means there's not much left, period. :(

Alex.V
02-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Ok, here we go, some accountability.

So, orgo is kicking my ass, as is cell bio, but I'm choosing not to acknowledge them in the hope that they will go away. Works on some things, so it's worth a try. The EMT-I class I'm in is actually pretty interesting, i.e. I can sit through the 2.5 hour classes without searching for quick and easy methods of suicide.

And lifting hasn't been TERRIBLE. I'm still down a good bit of weight, but today I had a chest/back workout, and the poundages were about average for me... which is encouraging, since proportionately I guess I'm improving? :)

I'll tell myself that.

CGBP:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 4, 315 x 2, 335 x 1, 365 x 1, 255 x 10

Smoked 365, was probably good for another 15+

Regular grip bench:

255 x 10

These were nice and slow. Shoulder tight, but healthy.

Bi-angular row:

10 plates x 9, 8 plates x 10, 8 plates x 10

About average, nothing special today.

Concentration curls with the 50's, cable curls with the stack, then for sh*ts and giggles, did pull-ups. Hit 24 consecutive, not too bad considering it was the end of a workout.

Diet's been off, but I'm making an effort to get my cals. Sleep... not so good, since I've been pretty damn sick the last week or so.. blah.

But yeah, there are some new things in life, but nothing worth noting at the moment I s'ppose.

And that's that, yo.

Scott S
02-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Speaking of accountability...

As soon as the scale says 230, the camera comes out. And y'all can hold me to that.

If I can post pics of my fat ass and ugly mug, what does he have to be worried about (he is a pretty boy;) )?

Alex.V
02-03-2004, 10:41 PM
oooh, touche.

WillKuenzel
02-03-2004, 10:47 PM
I've got a good picture to post, if you don't want to get the camera out. :p

Big o Boy
02-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Hit 24 consecutive, not too bad considering it was the end of a workout.
eh... I hate you.

MixmasterNash
02-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Hit 24 consecutive, not too bad considering it was the end of a workout.

Can you run for 15 hours straight? Cause Spec Ops are always looking for big guys to carry the SAW around. Those pullups will get you near the top of your PT class.

Relentless
02-04-2004, 06:45 AM
then for sh*ts and giggles, did pull-ups. Hit 24 consecutive, not too bad considering it was the end of a workout.

What grip were you using? Palms in, palms out, neutral grip?

Alex.V
02-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Will- you die.

BoB, thank you. I hate me too. :)

MMN- No, not even close. But I have resolved to not only again be the biggest and fastest on my rugby team this year, but also the guy with the best endurance! Well, at least... I've resolved not to start sucking wind after five minutes of play and be worthless after 15. So I'm going to start running. Outside. Crazy, huh?

Cal- shoulder width grip, pronated. It'd been ages since I'd done these, so I was pleasantly surprised. I think my decrease in bodyweight (from 240 to 230, or whatever I'm at now) has helped... seems like most of that was fat, I'm actually rather pleased (regardless of any bitching I may do)

Isaac Wilkins
02-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Play second row, it'll make you look like you have more endurance.

;)

Beast
02-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Ok, here we go, some accountability.

So, orgo is kicking my ass, as is cell bio, but I'm choosing not to acknowledge them in the hope that they will go away. Works on some things, so it's worth a try. The EMT-I class I'm in is actually pretty interesting, i.e. I can sit through the 2.5 hour classes without searching for quick and easy methods of suicide.
You pre-med, too?

Physics is kicking my ass wayyyy more than orgo did. I hate this ****.

MixmasterNash
02-04-2004, 09:10 PM
Eh, if my little sister can do pre-med for fun it should be a piece of cake, right? :P

Damn, I suppose if you're going to start running then I really need to.

Alex.V
02-06-2004, 06:07 PM
MMN- where she doing it, bro? I had to choose the school with possibly the most challenging pre-med program in the country to start tooling around with. I think only Yale's is more difficult. Cool, huh?

ND- Hell yeah. Physics... problem is, it's poorly taught everywhere, from what I hear.

So, it was crazy.... I lifted again!

Did some deads, some shoulders... mostly to unwind after my orgo test.

Deadlifts:

135 x 4, 225 x 4, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 495 x 1, 585 x 1, 635 x 1, 495 x 1 x 6

Six singles at the end, speed and endurance at the top is getting a little better. We won't discuss my recent deadlift troubles.

Seated dumbbell presses:

85's x 10, 90's x 10, 110's x 7

Decent. Still can't get the 110's up on my own, though. :( Pathetic Wrists are too weak.

Did some lateral raises, some bent over laterals, and some leg raises. I'm probably lifting both tomorrow and the day after this weekend, so I figured I could take it easy today.

And that's about it. Diet's been sucking, sleep's been sucking, I been too damn sick. Blech.

MixmasterNash
02-07-2004, 12:01 AM
She's went to Virginia and was an art history major. She seemed to like it okay, and I guess it was hard enough that she had to drop out of her sorority. I was so proud. Anyway, she got in med school where she wanted.

Beast
02-07-2004, 09:26 AM
ND- Hell yeah. Physics... problem is, it's poorly taught everywhere, from what I hear.
Yeah, I think that is correct. I think they should just drop the God-awful subject from being a requirement, hehe.

MMN, that's awesome about your sis, man.

Alex.V
02-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Yeah dude, that's excellent.

I've been bad about updating again, but I figured this deserved mention... studied for a cell bio test all weekend and all yesterday, but then figured I should put in a good workout today (after having a mediocre squat workout on the weekend... notable only because I did about 16 reps over 300 pounds, going up to 455 for a few singles.. oddly high volume for me.)

Felt very strong on my quick benching... very strong. So I said screw it. I'm not going to waste it.

CGBP:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 4

Stopped here for the time being.

Deadlifts:

135 x 4, 315 x 2, 405 x 2, 495 x 1, 585 x 1, 680 x 1 (!)

...and it's really, really, REALLY about f*cking time!! I have no idea how I pulled it, after missing 655 hard about a week back. But everything felt on. Stance was good, grip was good, and even though legs were slightly sore, I think I figured out how to make them work for me again. :) A slight hitch coming up, but no reverse motion or using the legs... so I say it counts.

I'm stoked. It might be an oddity, I doubt I can pull this consistently, but... the 675 barrier is GONE.

:D

Back to bench, already satisfied:

315 x 2, 335 x 2, 355 x 1, 245 x 12

That was it, bench done.

Bi-angular rows:

10 plates + 20 pounds x 10, 8 plates x 10, 8 plates x 7

Felt like I was going to vomit. Excellence.

Pulldowns:

Stack x 12, stack x 10

I dunno, is it 250 pounds? Done reverse grip. Finished up with concentration curls, and got out of there.

Diet- mediocre at best.

Sleep- averaging 6 hours.

If I got on the sleep and diet thing, like I've been saying I will for the past month and a half, I might be making even better progress.

But in other news, I still rule. :D

For today, at least.

cphafner
02-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Damn, nice pull man!

Scott S
02-10-2004, 04:33 PM
!!!

Good work Belial! 700 will be yours!

Hercule
02-10-2004, 04:48 PM
SH!T! Awesome pull man. And I agree, its about time.

WillKuenzel
02-10-2004, 05:10 PM
680?! Is that all? Pffft

heathj
02-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Nice pull :thumbup:

Wikked1
02-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Grats on the 680 dude. Real nice work man! awesome stuff!

Alex.V
02-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys. :) I'll be pushing for 700 soon, but I really think I need to keep remedying issues with form and follow-through. Today, for example, I did a lot of work at lower weights, 405 and 495, multiple reps for speed, along with an attempted double at 635 (got 1.5)

Also did some dumbbell presses:

75's x 10, 95's x 10, 110's x 8

Did a few lateral raises with the 55's, some bent over lateral's with the 50's... hanging leg raises, then 15 minutes of wind sprints on the bike. Was good! Except my calves always cramp. I dislike that intensely.

No workout highlights from tuesday, just did some quick benching, working up to 345 for an easy single... some back, nothing special except 10 plates + 15 per side on the bi-angular for 8 solid reps. Strength is ok lately, I have been bumping up the calories a little.

Updates are still ****ty, but I'm making an effort! I just wish I could get a regular gym schedule down, I'd be more dedicated. Things have just been a little crazy lately, my weekends have been a mess and my weeks are busy. Eh. I'll get on track. At some point.

Beast
02-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Awesome shoulder strength, to say the least. How was the cell bio test? I took that last semester and the prof made the tests tricky as hell. Wasn't too bad, though.

WillKuenzel
02-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Too bad y'all's gym doesn't have db's higher than 115 or if they did, I missed them.

cphafner
02-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Too bad y'all's gym doesn't have db's higher than 115 or if they did, I missed them.

damn Duke, spending all that money on books instead of weights!

Alex.V
02-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Got an A on the first cell bio test... frustrating, though, because I barely made the A, and I really don't think I could have answered the questions any better. Fantastic. Means there's NO breathing room.

Will- nope, 110's is as high as they go. Sucks, was just bitching about it today with some people... the racks are built to go further, I guess duke just didn't want to shell out the extra bucks. Damn them!

MixmasterNash
02-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Damn I want me some 120's too. Yet another reason Dook is for wussies!

Hmmm... crap, UNC only goes to 100 as well. I tried EZ-curl rows but our bars are smooth in the center, no knurling. Holy slipping weights, batman.

Big o Boy
02-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Nice pull man! I'm a little late.

You are the man, and I'm sure you won't forget it. :rolleyes:

Relentless
02-19-2004, 07:47 AM
15 minutes of wind sprints on the bike. Was good! Except my calves always cramp. I dislike that intensely.

Try alternating between plantar flexion and plantar extension occasionally... perhaps do the sprint portion with flexion and the non-sprint part with extension.

Might also help to bolt down some gatorade before riding

back in the day when i did extended rides for a kinesiology experiment, I used this technique to avoid the cramps...

Alex.V
02-20-2004, 01:27 PM
MMN- yeah, gotta use straps every time on those... and even then, the grip is kinda lousy.

BoB- thank you. :D Don't encourage my ego.

Cal- I did them again today, and actually that helped a lot... slowly trying to work them out, though, so that I can run without falling over after a mile. :rolleyes: Thanks for the tip.

And did a condensed workout, but it was an excellent one.

Squats, no wraps just belt:

135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 405 x 2, 455 x 1, 455 x 1, 405 x 2, 405 x 1

Just practicing, limbering up, getting form tight. These are much better than they have been. Very tight, very deep.

.... minds out of the gutter please.

Leg press:

10 plates per side x 8, 9 plates per side x 10

Whee. Then calf raises, 9 pps for two sets of a lot. I dunno. high 20's?

Close grip bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 4, 315 x 2, 335 x 1, 315 x 2

Regular grip bench:

315 x 2, 315 x 2

MUCH better, shoulder's feeling good. I can almost push these again.

DB flyes:

75's x 10, 75's x 10

Then back to legs:

Lunges:

110's x 6/6, 110's x 6/6

Felt like vomiting. Did some front raises with the 50's, then over to the bike. 20 minutes of wind sprints on them, heart rate flirting with 190 right after the third sprint though the 7th.

Got out of there.

Diet- averaging about 4000 calories. Which is fine.

Sleep- 6.5-7 hours a night.

That's it, kiddies.

Scott S
02-20-2004, 07:30 PM
I tried EZ-curl rows but our bars are smooth in the center, no knurling. Holy slipping weights, batman.

I was horrified to discover that all the EZ bars at my gym are the same way. Goddammit.

Nice workout Belial. Glad to hear your shoulder is healing.

Big o Boy
02-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Wow, lunges with 110's... that's crazy. I was thinking 110 by itself and I was like, "that's some pretty good weight, I might be able to do those...."

then I saw the 's. *sigh*

ectx
02-21-2004, 05:36 PM
HOLY SH!T! You posted a workout....*looks at own journal*...okay, shuddup.

What happened to the leg press strip sets? Still doin' those? Glad to see the shoulder's about normal....and strength looks intimidating, as always.

lata, large foreheaded maricon.

BCC
02-22-2004, 09:38 AM
lata, large foreheaded maricon.

lol! Coldhearted joto.

heathj
02-22-2004, 05:14 PM
You should buy either some weights of your own and bring them in and leave them. Or you can buy those 2.5lb or 5lb magnets that can stick onto the weight. Just an idea for ya.

Alex.V
02-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Scott, BoB, thanks. Try the straps, though.... seriously, they help.

Heath, not a bad idea... of course, that necessitates getting off my lazy ass and buying them. Then there's always the unpleasant thought that they may fall off... I think I'll work to 110's for 10 before I worry about that.

Rene- No strip sets, thanks. Doing cardio instead. If I feel the need for miserable pain, I'll beat myself with a lead pipe or something.

Another workout!

Close grip bench press:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 2, 335 x 1, 225 x 12

Regular grip:

225 x 14

Not bad... not exciting either. Saved strength for back.

Bi-angular row:

12 plates x 4, 10 plates + 50 x 7, 10 plates x 8, 8 plates x 10

Yeah, these were good. Much better... glad to be pushing it again.

Did a bunch of curls. whee. Then 20 minutes of sprints on the bike.. not bad, heart rate around 170, peaking around 175-176 after the sprints. Will work up to half an hour over the next few weeks... throw in some running as well. I am going back to rugby practice, dammit!

Diet- HA!

Sleep- decent.

That's about it.

ps- cell bio... sucks.

Big o Boy
02-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Nice workout, I don't see how your getting through cell bio. Gen. Biology is kicking my a$$ so bad. But I'm stupid in biology and I don't really give a **** about mitosis and meiosis(sp) and cell division.

****edit: I suck at english, too. :cry:

Alex.V
02-25-2004, 02:53 PM
BoB- believe it or not... cell bio = much more interesting. Gen. bio is some of the most boring crap out there. Talk about giving superficial treatment to practically everything in the science they can think of. Blech. Lousy memories of that class.

Did another workout today... tomorrow will be mad busy, friday I need to be around to wait for the repair guy to come take a look at the internet connection.. I'd rather err on the side of condensing workouts during the week and having a free day or two on the weekend, rather than ending up missing more entirely.

Deadlifts:

135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 5, 405 x 3, 495 x 2, 605 x 1, 605 x 1, 495 x 2 (1 conventional, immediately switched stance to sumo and pulled again)

Eh. Kinda slow today.... legs are still sore from sprints yesterday, and I got rubgy tonight. So I'll be unable to walk properly tomorrow, I'm sure.. but I should have a day or two off to recover.

Seated DB presses:

75's x 10, 95's x 8, 110's x 7

Kinda weak. I did bench yesterday, but still... not what I was hoping for. Ah well.

Lateral raises with 55's, 3 sets of 10. Bent over laterals with the 50's, 2 sets of 8. Two sets of hanging leg raises, done paused.... (Up all the way, toes to ceiling... hold for 3 seconds, down halfway to parallel, hold for 3 seconds... back up to top, then down. one.) 6 reps each set.

Then I went home.

Diet- not bad, actually. need to space out meals better, though.

Sleep- 6.5 hours. Actually meant to skip class this morning. Damn me for not sticking to plan!

Paul Stagg
02-25-2004, 03:36 PM
Okay, I've never really kept a journal, and I'm too lazy to update it regularly, so I'm basically going to post basic stats, 4 rep maxes on my lifts, and how the training days went.

Here are my stats:

5'11.5", 179 pounds (After workout this morning. I was cutting last week, and it went too far I think), 5-6% bf

Max lifts (4-rep max):

Chest:
BB bench: 225
DB bench: 2x90
BB incline: 185
Dips: 3x20

Back:
BB row: 135
DB row: 80
Pulldown: 200 lbs
pull-ups: 3x20

Legs:
Full squat: 225 (shaddap)
Deadlift: 300

Shoulders:
DB press: 2x60
BB shrug: 225

My intake is about 2800-3200 calories, my goal being about .5-1 pound of weight gain per week. I'd like to see the squat at 265, bench at 245, and deadlift at 335 by the end of the summer.

And I'll start logging this saturday.

-out

That's the first post in this journal.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Damn productive 3 years.

Beast
02-25-2004, 04:06 PM
That's the first post in this journal.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Damn productive 3 years.
omfg. Tell me your secrets NOW!!! :indian:

No, seriously..... tell me.

Big o Boy
02-26-2004, 09:55 PM
he is teh man. Hopefully I will have around the same results as he has had in 3 years. Of course, I will not be deadlifting 675 odd lbs. though. :D I think my bench can get up there with his though.

Nice job B. :thumbup:

clvmike19
02-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Wow.........605.

3 years thats some crazy improvement. I hope I can only meet half that.

Alex.V
02-27-2004, 02:23 PM
lol. Thanks guys. Shame that such a small percentage of those gains have been coming lately. I remember when I used to set several PRs every workout. :( Maybe this is the kick in the ass I need, though... I haven't been missing workouts, and my diet's been a bit better lately, so hopefully I won't be sucking so bad.

Practice wednesday night was brutal, in that I got kicked in the ear. That hurt. The scrape runs from the bottom of my jaw up to my earlobe... earlobe actually got torn a tiny bit, but didn't need medical attention of any sort. Good, though.. rather than sucking wind halfway through practice, I was good until the last 15 minutes or so (2 hours worth of drills and playing)

Today's workout was decent, too. Not very heavy, sadly.

Close grip bench press:

135 x 12, 225 x 10, 315 x 2, 335 x 1, 355 x 1

This was fine, my hands are a little bruised, my grip sucked. But these were all strong.

DB flyes:

80's x 8, 80's x 7, 80's x 6

Nice and strong, really. Good arm extension, too. No pain. Am happy. :D

One handed pushdowns on the lat machine, 87.5. (which is like, what, 175 on the regular) 2 sets of 10.

Then went over to the bike. 18 minutes, 6 sprints @ 160RPM, level 20, 15 seconds each. Not bad at all.

Diet- Pretty good

Sleep- not as much as I wanted, since class wasn't canceled, even with the snow.

That's it, yo

ectx
02-27-2004, 04:15 PM
I'd go on about how impressed I am and all that sh!t, but you already have a huge ego. :p Seriously well done....and stop ragging on Cell bio...there's some really cool shiat in there. How molecular are you folks getting...covering Sonic and SOS pathways, G proteins, and assorted kinase cascades? How 'bout RNAi? All cool stuff if you think about how infinitely small and detailed we've been able to get. Stop being a pussy about it. How are you training for endurance, homes? I know you're doing assorted random running...but what kind?

ps. You smell and your have horrible hair

Beast
02-27-2004, 05:18 PM
there's some really cool shiat in there.
No.... no, there really isn't. :p

Alex.V
03-02-2004, 10:58 PM
Oh, there is some cool sh*t in cell bio, i'll give you that. I'll hit you with the update at some point on IM.

For endurance.. straight runnin and bikin, some HIIT.. was too burnt this week to do it well, though. I'm trying to remember my last few workouts, the site's been flaky, as has my internet.

This weekend, hit 365 for a few singles on bench.... 465 for a few singles on squats (still no wraps)... some walking lunges with the 110's, which left me retching. Today was some unexciting regular benching:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 245 x 3, 265 x 3, 275 x 3, 315 x 3, 225 x 18

Regular grip. So probably one of the heftiest regular grip workouts I've done since my injury.

Bi-angular row:

12 plates x 5 (!), 10 plates x 7, 8 plates x 12

Ow. These hurt my abs more than anything. Nice, though... and when I dropped it while trying the 6th rep all the plates crashed off. It was very satisfying.

Hit some biceps, did some cardio... but not much. Legs burning after 5 minutes. Too much stress, not enough food. Certainly not enough carbs today; I'm skipping cardio for a few days, I need it. So yeah, a few highlights in workouts. Definitely looking tighter, though... definition is improved, waistline is smaller, and muscles are actually bigger. I am happy. Strength is coming back as well.

Diet- not so hot.

Sleep- 6.5- 7 hours a night. Doing my best here... once the orgo test tomorrow is done I'll be happy.

Scott S
03-03-2004, 12:06 AM
Damn it. I hate how you accidentally get leaner all the time. :swear:

WillKuenzel
03-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Its not by accident, its all the fast food he eats. :p

Alex.V
03-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Don't forget the beer. :)

WillKuenzel
03-03-2004, 11:57 AM
LOL, oh yeah! Sam Adams does have that trimming effect, doesn't it? ;)

Alex.V
03-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Without a doubt. My current day's diet calls for at least one pitcher this evening.

MixmasterNash
03-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Hmmm... me too. It's really hard to not go drink outside with weather like this.

ectx
03-03-2004, 05:53 PM
I thought you were drinking tequila?

rookiebldr
03-03-2004, 07:32 PM
:nod: a much better choice.

Alex.V
03-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Rene? Why limit myself to one beverage?

I've spent the last three or four days drinking too much and doing assorted other fun yet stupid **** that probably could have gotten me arrested for indecent exposure and the like. It was great. Remind me to talk about it at some point. However, I'm hurting now.

I DID do a deadlift workout yesterday. I mean, it kinda sucked, but... what can ya do.

Deadlifts:

135 x 4, 225 x 4, 315 x 4, 405 x 3, 495 x 2, 585 x 1, 495 x 6

Didn't want to go heavy. Back was sore, I was NOT recovered from tuesday's workout, really. ****.

Anyway, went over to some static holds:

495 x 1:01

Not bad! It'd been a while since I'd done these, I was happy they stayed strong.

DB presses:

75's x 10, 85's x 10, 110's x 6.5?

Weak weak weak.

Lateral raises with 55's, bent over laterals with 50's. Actually looked pretty good after these, veins on delts out etc. pretty good for being dehydrated... I still think I'm staying pretty lean.

Did 20 minutes on the bike, averaging 100 RPM at level 10.. 4 sprints of 20 seconds at 160 RPM level 20. Heart rate around 180 by the end. Not terrible.

Lesse... funny stories last night and the night before... too many to mention. Decided to hang out with the people tenting for the basketball game. cockblocked this kid who was trying to move in on the girl I was talking to BAD. Actually did that about five times to various guys. It's fun. motherf*ckers. find your own girl.

AND THAT IS MY STORY.

bye.

midee1
03-06-2004, 11:14 AM
I've spent the last three or four days drinking too much and doing assorted other fun yet stupid **** that probably could have gotten me arrested for indecent exposure and the like. It was great. Remind me to talk about it at some point. However, I'm hurting now.

Did you participate in the world record pillow fight at Duke that's in the news? :alcoholic ;)

Alex.V
03-14-2004, 06:58 PM
No. I was no part of that gayness. I was otherwise occupied at the time. :D

But there have been some REALLY lackluster workouts over the last week. Dunno what it's been. Could be that I've been sick for the last few days. Could also be that I'm just a b*tch. But backing off has been kinda nice. I did hit 12 plates for a few reps on the bi-angular earlier this week... pulled 610 for two singles on deads, and today benched 345 for a few singles. But other than that, there's been nothing noteworthy. Next week I get back to business, though!

Really. Honest. I swear.

WillKuenzel
03-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Bah. Talk is cheap! :p

Alex.V
03-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Agreed. Hey, I also did some standing military presses. 225 for 6 on the last set. Strict. I know, I = pussy, but still!

WillKuenzel
03-14-2004, 07:34 PM
At least those aren't bothering your shoulder. Benching isn't bothering it anymore is it?

Alex.V
03-14-2004, 07:59 PM
That was the surprising part. I haven't been able to do those for over a year. And no, benching only bothers it a little when I go back to my normal grip.. but the pain is getting more and more temporary.

Erm...

Increasingly transient?

Less permanent?

More short-lived?

f*ck you, English.

Saint Patrick
03-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Deadlifts:

495 x 2, 585 x 1, 495 x 6

Didn't want to go heavy.

Go to hell.

ectx
03-14-2004, 10:49 PM
I know, I = pussy, but still!

that is all.

Alex.V
03-16-2004, 03:18 PM
I figured some joto would pick up on that and quote it.

Patty- :smoke:

Back day! Actually, not much of a workout since I got two hours of sleep and am still hurting from sunday.

But still!

Started to do some speed bench. It hurt. Was sore. Stopped.

THEN!

Bi-angular row:

Drop set:
12 plates x 4
10 plates x 4
8 plates x 4
6 plates x 6

ouch.

Then: 8 plates x 8, 8 plates x 8

Pronated grip pulldowns:

Stack x 12, Stack x 12 (250 lbs?)

Whee.

Concentration curls with the 55's, two sets of 8, then hammer curls... 90's x 6/6, 110's x 3/3 The 110's were hard. Ouch.

THEN I WENT HOME.

The end.

PS- Diet- ****. beer, cigarettes, burgers.
Sleep- ****.

That is all.

heathj
03-16-2004, 06:11 PM
beer, cigarettes, and burgers. My kinda day.

Tomorrow, I hope will be the same for you. St. Patty's Day!

Alex.V
03-17-2004, 05:36 PM
Too much beer already. Good god.

WillKuenzel
03-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Too much beer
Blasphemy! Such a thing does not exist!

MixmasterNash
03-17-2004, 07:44 PM
Blasphemy! Such a thing does not exist!

Damn straight.

WillKuenzel
03-17-2004, 07:45 PM
LMFAO! That's great!

Alex.V
03-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Ok, that's hysterical. Damn you.

I've been extremely slack about updating. Are there any highlights? Well... yes and no. Workouts have been extremely good lately all things considered... diet's been off, stress has been hugely high, sleep has been pathetic, alcohol consumption has been astronomical. Yeah. But still... smoked 375 this weekend for two singles on bench with little or no difficulty... certainly the most I've done since I've turned all skinny (erm, lean. skinny? Whichever). Deadlifts were ok, just did a few singles at 600. but on the same day I did two sets of strict standing militaries with 235, 6 reps per set. brutal, but fun.

And yesterday... not bad at all. Actually, incredibly good. Still squatting without knee wraps, which is difficult to get used to. Different groove. I'd like to hit 500+ without wraps before I put 'em back on. I know, sad that my max with wraps is a full 45 pounds more than that.

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 4, 405 x 3, 475 x 2, 475 x 2, 475 x 2, 405 x 4, 405 x 3, 405 x 3, 315 x 20, 315 x 20

Never done 475 for a double, let alone with no wraps. Form was excellent on all these... strength, I have no idea where it came from, but I just kinda kept going. The rest of the workout was so lackluster I won't bother posting it, but after all those squats I didn't care.

Diet's been decent the last few days, I've been broked but I've managed to find a girl to buy me every single meal since sunday night. :D Sleep's been pathetic. And that's about it, yo.

ElPietro
03-23-2004, 08:28 AM
After the doubles with 475, did you throw down your sombrero and dance around it in a circle? :p

45 seems on the low end of average for gains from wraps. Maybe you are already strong out of the hole and weaker at a different part of the ROM? Anyway, F you and your raw squats!

Big o Boy
03-23-2004, 01:32 PM
good lord... 2 sets for 20 after all that with 315?

Sometimes I feel like that, I don't know where the power comes from when I'm squatting, feel like I'm only going to do 5 reps and end up with 12 or something.

LOL @ picture.

Wu36
03-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 4, 405 x 3, 475 x 2, 475 x 2, 475 x 2, 405 x 4, 405 x 3, 405 x 3, 315 x 20, 315 x 20

Yeh, I still hate you.

ectx
03-24-2004, 06:50 PM
You are a JOTO....that is all.

:p

bill
03-25-2004, 06:45 AM
just saying hi , i met chris mason and he was telling me how impressive you are, is your first post when you started lifting or was that you just starting up again after a layoff. good day

WillKuenzel
04-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Put the beer down and go to the gym.

MixmasterNash
04-05-2004, 11:48 AM
He's been drinking away the pain of going to the same school as that whiny rat boy J.J. Redick.

Alex.V
04-08-2004, 05:31 PM
JJ IS a tool, I know the kid.

Sorry, I have been bad. I've been working out, but two weeks ago I threw out my elbow, so my upper body workouts have been severely limited... it also hurts when I deadlift or stabilize the bar during squats... so really poundages have been light. Combine that with stress from school, my EMT class, and a certain individual, and that's why I haven't been posting in here. No real highlights, but I'll take notes during tomorrow's workout and hopefully have something to say.

Alex.V
04-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Alright, I guess I WILL post..

Upper body workouts have been once a week, just some basic stuff that doesn't aggravate the elbow... leg workouts once a week, almost entirely squats, and deadlift workouts that involve some shoulders.

Poundages are staying pretty steady, the elbow pain has forced me to flip my grip on deads, which is screwing with my form a bit. Still, yesterday they were fine.

Deadlifts:

135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 495 x 2, 635 x 1, 635 x 1, 500 x 6

The 635's were a little slow on lockout, but they felt tight. 500 was strong as hell for every rep, I stopped when my back started to round. Not bad at all.

Did some lateral raises and bent-over laterals, followed by 20 minutes on the bike. Did the bike next to my girl, who had already been on for 30 minutes and was barely winded by the time I flopped off in sheer exhaustion.

I suck.

Anyway, that is that. Ate like a pig today, it was amazing.

Sleep was good last night, too... 10 hours, give or take.

:smoke:

_-_v_-_
04-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Ate like a pig today, it was amazing.

I hate you. :)

Relentless
04-12-2004, 01:37 PM
nice to see you still lift occasionally

how is the rugby going?

Alex.V
04-14-2004, 05:24 PM
I do lift, dammit. Last squat workout, hit 495 to dept for two singles, sans wraps.. which is big for me, by far the heaviest I've gone (certainly legal depth) without knee wraps. Going back to upper body 2x a week, it was mediocre on tuesday during my back workout, but I'm still being careful.

Rugby didn't work out this season... my EMT class met at the same time as practice, and I couldn't really expect to play without showing up, ever. But in the fall, I shall!

In the meantime, for the next few weeks, my life will consist of studying. And almost nothing but.

Also, note to self: never put anything personal in here; it could come back and bite you in the ass.

MixmasterNash
04-14-2004, 05:56 PM
Did JJ pimp slap you?

WillKuenzel
04-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Also, note to self: never put anything personal in here; it could come back and bite you in the ass.
LOL, one of these days you'll learn.

Good to hear you are at least attempting to lift from time to time. Got to keep that girly figure somehow. :p

Maki Riddington
04-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Damn!!!!!!!!!

ectx
04-14-2004, 09:49 PM

*snicker*

pendejo!

Alex.V
04-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Yeah, yeah I am.

Tomorrow I deadlift. Last time, I got 640 for two singles... the elbow's almost 100% again, which is tremendously encouraging. I don't feel like I suck so much anymore.

Alex.V
05-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Bleh, so I suck. Actually been bad about signing on since the roommate "forgot" to pay the phone bill. For four months. So we lost our DSL when the line got cut off. Now we got the line back, but no DSL for a little while.

So, update? Elbow's MUCH better, but still aching on some lifts. Still can't deadlift with my correct grip, which made even 655 a b*tch. Last week's been all finals, which ended yesterday, and now the the girlfriend's away at the beach for a few days, I might actually be able to sleep, get some lifting in, and allow my dick to heal.

I'll try to sign on after my workout tomorrow.

Beast
05-02-2004, 12:08 AM
655 still kicks ass. Glad your elbow is being better. Are you taking the MCAt anytime soon?

Alex.V
05-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Nah, the MCAT can wait. Might even be the GRE, who knows.

Hit up the gym for some benching today, which was decent. Even taking it easy, I hit 365 for a decent single on close grips, then 225 for about a dozen, nice and slow. The elbow's still not 100% when it comes to strength, but the pain is all but gone. Nice to know.

Flyes with 75's, 2 sets of 10

One handed pushdowns, 150 pounds, 3 sets of 10 per hand.

Front raises with the 55's, 8 reps per side, 3 sets... and that was about it. Did some abs, some stretching, and got out of there.

Damn, I miss my girl. I need to get laid. Now.

That is all.

Alex.V
05-04-2004, 02:24 PM
And I did legs... yesterday. I think. I did an ambulance shift last night, got no sleep, got about three hours today before the ****ing roommates got up and starting banging **** around...

Still no internet, stupidity down at the company means it'll be a few more days. I give up. Why is everybody so ****ing incompetent?

Anyway, legs were good!

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 5, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 495 x 1, 405 x 2, 405 x 1, 315 x 8, 315 x 8

That was enough of those... but 495 with just a belt was very nice, I was oh so proud.

Leg press:

22 plates x 8, 20 plates x 10, 20 plates x 8

Um. whee.

Calf raises, 24 plates x 15, 24 plates x 15, then a few on the machine. Got the hell out of there. Good god I need food.

Heading down to myrtle beach tonight for a day or two, should be a good bit of unwinding. And sex. Lots of it. Can you tell I get a one track mind when deprived? yeah.

That's it.

ElPietro
05-04-2004, 02:28 PM
Who the hell are you!? :confused:

ectx
05-04-2004, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=Belial]Nah, the MCAT can wait. Might even be the GRE, who knows.
[QUOTE]

If your plan is grad school for some biomedical degree...I say forget it. Get the MD, or go to a school that does MD PhD and pays for your MD. The reason being that your pay scale is higher and you have access to different grants that PhD's don't have access to, but you can still do the research. You're basically a lot more flexible. I believe most med schools on the west coast (UC system schools) only require 2 summer lab projects to get the PhD added on to the end of your name. Sure, you may not learn how to pipette a buffer, but in the end nobody cares. My $0.02

Have "fun" in Myrtle beach....culoface.

Big o Boy
05-05-2004, 12:28 AM
just loading up 20-24 plates would be a workout for me. I would of quit right then.

:hump: :thumbup:

Alex.V
05-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Rene- that's solid advice... right now the difficulty will be in admissions... my undergrad GPA was far from exceptional, so I'm still playing catchup. MD/PhD programs tend to be extremely competitive from everything I hear, so my odds aren't quite as good.

I hate being realistic.

I did some legs and some back, still trying to get back into things after finals, vacation, etc. Did it at the crap gym, same place where I lost my grip on deadlifts.

Still, good workout:

Squats:

bar x 10, 135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 3, 405 x 3, 500 x 1, 525 x 1, 405 x 3, 405 x 3, 315 x 10

Solid all around. 525 is a PR without wraps, I was very happy with this. I think my legs, especially the hips, just needed a break. These were all nice and deep, done with a belt only. Nice to not be squatting like a total pussy.

shut up.

Did some calf raises, some leg extensions to loosen up my knees a bit, then went to back.

DB rows:

170 x 10/10, 170 x 8/8

Not bad, but my right elbow hurt like hell when I was using it to support, so I cut these short, finished off with pulldowns:

260 x 10, 260 x 11

whee.

THEN!

Concentration curls. Then I left. Now I'm back home. I shall eat soon.

And then go to bed, because I need to be up at 6 tomorrow for my 7AM-7PM ambulance shift. Oh rapture.

Diet- not bad at all, considering it's mostly beer and baked goods. Hey, abs still look good.

Sleep- averaging 5 hours of sleep a night. Honestly, this girl is killing me.

thas' it.

JustinASU
05-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Stop bull****ting Alex. You ain't got no abs. ;)

So when do you wanna grab a beer or two mang?

ectx
05-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Bah, good letters of rec. and high MCAT's go a long way. The MD PhD was just an idea to get your tuition paid for. An MD will do though. You can handle that foo'

Glad your posting again. We missed you, even if you are a culoface. :p

Alex.V
05-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Justin- After this week. I have another 50 hours or so of amublance ridealongs to do by sunday, so I'm going to be hurting for some beers afterwards.

Rene- Howsabout a rec from you?

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'd hate to see the content of that letter.

Not to mention the credibility.

Did some chest/triceps today. Still hate the equipment at this gym, hardly went heavy on bench at all, for fear of imminent equipment collapse.

CGBP:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 3, 315 x 1, 345 x 1, 345 x 1, 225 x 12 x 2

Last two sets in quick succession, lots of speed. Then did a paused set with 225, 8 seconds on the bottom, 6 in the middle, then up, full speed eccentric. 6 reps like that. Ouch.

DB flyes:

75's x 10, 80's x 6, 75's x 9

80's.. too heavy for good form. I am weak and puny.

Pushdowns on the lat pulldown machine (i.e. no mechanical assist)

120 x 10, 130 x 12, 140 x 8

Elbow started aching a wee bit.

Did some front raises with the 50's, then cut out. Still feeling a little sleep deprived, this will last the next week or so. ugh.

And that's about that. Other things are all good, busy as hell... trying to figure out a budget to last me until I'm employed... and trying to figure out how to get my girlfriend's roommate to leave her the hell alone. Little bitch has had a thing for her for two years, he's never scored... but keeps hanging out waiting to get me out of the picture. And above all, he keeps trying to be my best friend so that he doesn't get cut out of the loop. Long story, really, but it's pissing me off.

Don't know why I shared that. but venting is good. At least now I have the gym to help me channel the irritation.

piece.

(of ace)

JustinF
05-19-2004, 03:10 AM
Good to see ya posting regular again. I never posted much in here, but I follow along. Nice work!

Focused70
05-19-2004, 09:35 AM
I've heard that confrontation is usually the best solution at times like these.

*sinks back into the woodwork*

CrackSoba

ElPietro
05-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Maybe her room mate should have an "accident."

At least you haven't been shot yet. :D

In summary, you suck.

Alex.V
05-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Justin... hasn't been much to follow lately. :(

Soba - damn right. Actually, after a little thought... it's hard to take him seriously as any sort of threat. Kid has spent thousands of dollars on her over the last two years, declared his love more times than I can count, and otherwise done everything possible to get with her, and it's all failed. Kinda sad, really.

Pete - lol, no, I'm avoiding situations where somebody might end up pulling a gun on me. Hasn't worked out in any of the cases so far. ;)

oh, and you suck more. HA!

Last workout in the crap gym.. did legs, so it was no big deal; there's a power rack there.

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 5, 315 x 5, 405 x 2, 505 x 1, 505 x 1, 505 x 1, 405 x 3, 315 x 10, 315 x 8

Not bad at all.. my hips were a little sore prior, but stretched out pretty well. I think my eyeballs started bleeding on the third single, but otherwise these felt pretty strong. My knees ache a lil today, though. oops.

Honestly, that was enough of a workout, but I threw in some chest... just because it had been a while. I switched back to my wider grip and took it easy, just testing out the shoulder and elbow:

Bench press:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 255 x 1, 275 x 2, 315 x 2, 225 x 6

No real rhyme or reason, just getting a stretch, workin on form.

Pushdowns on lat machine:

130 x 8, 130 x 8, 120 x 10

Finished off with some standing calf raises on one of them shoulder pad machines, then some hanging leg raises.

And life is pretty good. That is, if I actually manage to get a job this summer. Finished with my clinical hours, just need to make sure all my paperwork's in order, and then hopefully I'll be working for Durham county EMS.

Diet- ha

Sleep- comes and goes. Got about 8 last night, though..

Focused70
05-24-2004, 03:46 PM
Now I feel bad for not doing squatz today.

Otoh, :spam:

Soba

ectx
05-24-2004, 04:57 PM
Rene- Howsabout a rec from you?

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'd hate to see the content of that letter.

Not to mention the credibility.

JERK...now I'm never writing one...

plus it's true. :(

lol

culo...did you get my IM the otherday? figured you might have some info, given your newest acquaintance. Lata foo'...and yeah...you're strong...blah blah blah. ;)

WillKuenzel
05-24-2004, 05:14 PM
Has there ever been any rhyme or reason to your workouts? :p

JustinF
05-26-2004, 02:49 AM
Nice squatin' man!

Leprechaun
05-26-2004, 06:18 AM
You are teh uber...that is all.

DoUgL@S
05-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Nice squating. *goes home, practices squat form, squashed by bar*

D

Alex.V
05-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Soba- why? All they did was hurt me. :(

ec- yeah, got yo' sh*t, replied, we had this discussion. sheesh. Just kiddin on the cred, btw. I'm sure you got lots. :thumbup:

cough.

Will- hell no! That's what makes me fun and dynamic! It also kinda slows my progress. But I feel that's semantics.

Justin, Leprechaun... thank you guys. All I need now is consistency, and I feel like I'll really be worth props!

Douglas- lower the weight a wee bit. I feel like getting skooshed will hinder your gains significantly.

So I've been lousy about updates again.. so, highlights (if you can call them that) from thursday's and today's workouts:

Thursday:

Deadlifts!

135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 405 x 2, 495 x 1, 585 x 1, 635 x 1, 635 x barely miss, 495 x 5

Was so beat by the second 635. I also suck. The latter was probably the big problem.

Good mornings, deep:

225 x 10, 275 x 6

Been a long time since I did these, and the failure on 635 toasted my back. These felt great the next day.

Finished up with lateral raises, calf raises, and leg raises. (lotta raises, eh)

And got harassed. A LOT. Durham public schools were having their graduation on Duke's campus. Walking back from the gym, I passed by all the families. That means LOTS of black girls. That means I probably got catcalls from over a hundred people. And I got my ass grabbed. Twice.

It was kinda cool... but also pretty scary. Women. Such pigs.

And today!

Close grip bench press:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 1, 335 x 1, 355 x 1, 400 x 1 (whee), 275 x 5, 225 x 10

These were good... 400 is my second highest close grip ever.. I was happy.

Cable crossovers, tricep pushdowns (stack x 16, stack x 20), and some front raises with the 55's finished me off. Feeling pretty good right about now.

And I need to go be productive. Woke up at about 11. Stayed in bed with the girl until 3. So I've been productive, just not in any ways I can discuss in polite company. I think I'll go yell at my bank now.

debussy
05-29-2004, 09:56 PM
holy god, that is an insane pull!!! congrats! when will we see 700? :bow:

Focused70
05-29-2004, 10:32 PM
Holy god is right. :bow: indeed.

Stash

Beast
05-30-2004, 08:05 AM
Great DLs and squats.
So is working for the EMS going to be your job after you graduate?

Reinier
05-30-2004, 08:44 AM
635 lbs deadlift is amazing.

Have you been juicing btw?

Alex.V
05-30-2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys... but my best is still 680... 635 should not have stuck the second time up. I just can't seem to find that enthusiasm lately... I've been working on getting it back. I think it's all self-fulfilling, the better my gains, the better the enthusiasm, and my slacking as of last semester took its toll. I'd love to hit 700 by the fall... but it seems I've been wanting to hit 700 for the last year or so.

Reinier- nope. Probably will soon, though.

Beast- It'll be my job for a year or two while I finish up my pre-grad school (or med school) requirements.

And today... I did legs again. It wasn't inspired, but my lower back and butt were sore as hell from the good mornings. Funny how that works; they weren't even heavy.

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 6, 315 x 5, 405 x 2, 495 x 1

My lower back was aching, so I called it quits on these. Blech.

Leg press:

1,025 x 10, 1,025 x 8, 885 x 8

Yeah, somehow these just aren't the same as squats.

Did some leg extensions supersetted with hamstring curls... (using the stacks, 15 reps of each, three supersets)

Then some calf raises, then some stretching. This gymnast girl was doing groin stretches on the mat in front of me. It was entertaining. I've never been able to sit there stretching for that long. All it takes is a little motivation. Or, actually, I guess that's an excuse.

Diet- Not bad. Lil' low in calories.

Sleep- 10 hours friday night, 5 hours last night.

Alex.V
06-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Wuhoo, damn, check out these updates!

Had a really really fun bench and back session.

Not really fun. Rather short actually. But solid enough.

Close grip bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 1, 345 x 1, then:

275 x 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

About a minute in between each, did these as fast as possible. Good explosion on all of them, fatigue wasn't really an issue until the 3-4 rep sets.

Bi-angular row:

12 plates x 6, 10 plates + 20 x 10, 8 plates x 8, 8 plates x 10

Pushed it out on the last set, was dead. I need a nap.

Finished off with concentration curls, hammer curls, and some cable curls.

Was also told that, with lighter hair, I look more approachable and less intimidating. Who the HELL wants that???

So I might go dye it black.

That's about it.

Diet- right on

Sleep- Not enough. I need to stop having slumber parties.

DoUgL@S
06-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Nice session. You close grip bench ALOT. :eek: just looked at your stats you have more LBM than I weigh, at 5' 11" that is just scary. :bow:

ElPietro
06-01-2004, 01:39 PM
**** you and your 345x1 cgb! :mad:

Isaac Wilkins
06-01-2004, 02:32 PM
You lightened your hair? How fagalicious. Very metro.

ectx
06-01-2004, 02:36 PM
You lightened your hair? How fagalicious. Very metro.

very metro....figures the pretty boy would get highlights or something. *steals hair dryer*

WillKuenzel
06-01-2004, 04:07 PM
LOL, Wolverine with highlights. That's a funny mental picture!

Alex.V
06-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Pete- hate the 405 CGBP more, please. It'll make me feel like less of a wuss.

Big D Molina (can I call you that?)- thanks mang. Too bad it's stagnant.

And for the rest of you... I hate you all.

*******s.

the doc
06-01-2004, 04:11 PM
hey alex, glad to see everythings going well. Good luck on the EMS job, just dont let them send you to damar courts or duke manor...lol... you should have a no ghetto clause in your work rules.

just popping in to say :hello:

DoUgL@S
06-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Big D Molina (can I call you that?)- thanks mang. Too bad it's stagnant.

*runs off to eat, then lift, then eat, then lift some more*

I am working on it.

Leprechaun
06-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Dye it purple alex...get an eyebrow ring...then they shall call you freak.

DoUgL@S
06-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Dye it purple alex...get an eyebrow ring...then they shall call you freak.

now thats intimidating. :evillaugh

Alex.V
06-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Actually probably getting a tongue ring. I figure my girlfriend will hate me for a week or two until it heals, then love me forever after.

I do like the purple idea, though. I should ask la fashionista. ec, where you at?

ectx
06-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Actually probably getting a tongue ring. I figure my girlfriend will hate me for a week or two until it heals, then love me forever after.

I do like the purple idea, though. I should ask la fashionista. ec, where you at?

Hmmm...Purple....I think it would clash with your purse and your pumps. You'd have to buy new ones. Kind of goes with your A&F XL wifebeaters though.

Alex.V
06-02-2004, 04:00 PM
That's fine. In the meantime, think your leather chaps would fit me? Black goes with everything.

ectx
06-02-2004, 04:12 PM
It does, doesn't it? Eitherway, you ain't gettin' my chaps!

WillKuenzel
06-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Kind of goes with your A&F XL wifebeaters though.
You mean the XS. If you've seen them on him, then you'd know what I mean.

...and I think you'd look smashing in purple, Alex. Smashing.

Anthony
06-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Skimmed through some of your recent workouts ... strong lifts, Alex. Looking forward to when you get the enthusiasm back. :D

Leprechaun
06-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Lil piece of advice on the tongue ring...after you get it, make sure you have a 7-11 around, cause a slurpee works wonders for bringing down swelling...if you keep it cold constantly...about 2 days after you will be talking normal.

cphafner
06-03-2004, 09:50 AM
I second what Lep said. You need ice and slurpees galore. Becareful eating at first, I chipped my tooth the first week I had mine pierced.

Alex.V
06-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Ain't my fault abercrombie runs small!

Anthony- thanks man. I'm looking forward to that more than anyone. It's just tough.. especially because I know I need to really stop ****in around if I'm going to progress beyond previous PRs, which were all reached when everything was clicking just right.

Lep, cphafner - Appreicate the advice. It'll be a little while before I get it done, but... how long before you guys could return to normal activities... eating, oral sex, etc.?

And since I've been lousy about updating...

I'll condense the last few workouts.

Highlights from thursday:

Deadlifts:

135 x 5, 225 x 4, 315 x 3, 405 x 1, 495 x 1, 640 x 1, 640 x miss, 495 x 5

I was pissed. I want to be able to do two singles at halfway decent weights. grr.

Saturday:

Close grip bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 1, 335 x 1, 365 x 1, 410 x 1 (!), 415 x miss, 225 x 12

I was pleased. To say the least. I had a lot of energy going into this.. then again, I slept for 3 hours the night before and was wired on gallons of diet coke. Maybe it was that?

And.. squats today. Hit 515 for a single, which was ok... (no knee wraps). Then did a leg press strip set from 22 plates to 6 (5 reps per set).

And that's about it. Diet's been excellent this week, sleep's sucked until last night. With that... I'm going back to bed.

Saint Patrick
06-06-2004, 11:58 PM
Deadlifts:

135 x 5, 225 x 4, 315 x 3, 405 x 1, 495 x 1, 640 x 1, 640 x miss, 495 x 5

Close grip bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 1, 335 x 1, 365 x 1, 410 x 1 (!), 415 x miss, 225 x 12

And.. squats today. Hit 515 for a single, which was ok...

I hate you.

Alex.V
06-07-2004, 03:02 PM
I hate me too. I think it's universal.

_-_v_-_
06-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Anthony- thanks man. I'm looking forward to that more than anyone. It's just tough.. especially because I know I need to really stop ****in around if I'm going to progress beyond previous PRs, which were all reached when everything was clicking just right.

I know the feeling all too well.

**** stress and the ugly-ass, mule-like, girl/finals/life-in-general chimera it rode in on.

cphafner
06-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Belial, I made the mistake of trying to eath that night, bad call. Give it a day or two for the tounge to stop swelling. If you ice it alot, it might be ok by the next day. It took me a while to get used to eating. I chipped my tooth 2x in the first week. Can't tell you about the oral sex. My gf at the time thought oral sex was icky and wouldn't let me go there. I was like why the hell do I have this thing?

WillKuenzel
06-07-2004, 04:18 PM
I was eating the next day but it was very very slow. I would spend about 2 hours in the cafeteria trying to eat. As long as you are careful and listerine that thing every other hour, eating is the hardest thing. Everything else I was doing within a couple hours. Pop some ibuprofen, get a few cubes of ice and go to town.

Oh yeah, and I hate you too.

Leprechaun
06-07-2004, 08:08 PM
By day 2 you can eat...i'd try to give it at least 24 hours before you go after solid food. As for oral sex, once the swelling is down you are good to go.

BTW...nice job on the 410 CGBP, it wasn't long ago when you were working your ass off just to hit a 405 regular grip bench press.

Alex.V
06-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the tips and info, guys... I'm probably getting it next monday. Going to visit my dad this weekend, that means free meals and lots of conversation, along with dropping in on my place of employment, so I think it should wait.

Lep- yeah, I appreciate it. It's been frustrating as hell, the way my strength level fluctuates. Consistency would be nice, it's just hard as hell to get all the factors perfect. The sleep issue doesn't help much either.

So today I did some light speedy benching and some back... nothing too strenuous, I'm still sore from the leg press strip set, and I felt my tricep soreness last night.

CGBP:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 8, 275 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3

All reps were done explosively, no slowdown. Last four sets had about 30-40 seconds in between them. Not bad, but... yeah. Sore.

Bi-angular row:

12 plates x 5, 10 plates x 8, 8 plates x 13

Ouch.

Lat pulldown:

Stack x 10, stack x 10 (stack is 250).

My back was pretty done.. amazing how little volume it can take before it's spent.

Did some concentration curls with the 55's and hammers with the 85's, then called it a day. I'll be away from a decent gym this weekend, so I'll probably catch up on my cardio.

Diet- ha. Too little real food, too much birthday cake.

Sleep- 10 hours saturday and sunday night, 5.5 last night. :(

That's about it, kids.

Alex.V
06-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Blah, mediocre workout. I had actually planned not to lift today, as I was going to be driving up to new york earlier.. however, that got pushed back to tonight, so I had the chance to hit the gym for a few.

Did some deadlifts...

135 x 4, 225 x 3, 315 x 3, 405 x 1, 495 x 1, 645 x 1, 645 x not even close, 500 x 1

I was so burnt at the end, 500 felt like a quarter ton.

*rimshot*

Did some lateral raises and bent-over laterals with 55's, some slow calf raises with the stack, then a few brutal sets of one-and-a-half hanging leg raises (3 sets of 8)

Cut out. I won't be lifting until monday... and I think I can use the break.

Diet- meh

Sleep- meh x 2

That's it, kids.

Beast
06-10-2004, 01:03 PM
A rest every now and then is always good. Have fun with your dad.

ectx
06-10-2004, 02:00 PM
tonight, so I had the chance to hit the gym for a few.

Did some deadlifts...

135 x 4, 225 x 3, 315 x 3, 405 x 1, 495 x 1, 645 x 1, 645 x not even close, 500 x 1

I was so burnt at the end, 500 felt like a quarter ton.

*rimshot*

OMG, You're so FREAKIN WITTY!

*snore*

I'm assuming you meant English ton, otherwise your joke would make no sense. :p

now go add some gel to your hair. You look horrible.

Relentless
06-10-2004, 03:03 PM
how long before you guys could return to normal activities... eating, oral sex, etc.?

just don't bite down when you're getting blown and you'll be all right

Hatred
06-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Mine did not swell in the least bit...Eat gingerly though..I almost cracked a tooth the first night..Best advice I have is swap the bar out to a 5/8 as soon as you can. That 1.5 bar will wreak havoc on your teeth and hurt like hell if you bite and it twists the bar....6 weeks is the rule of thumb but I could not wait to use mine that long and went muffdiving for bearded clams after week 3.

and Gage up as soon as possible... larger diameter bar=more control..

Alex.V
06-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Well, it's put off for a few days while I catch up on workouts... as I said, I was gone this weekend, and it was driving me crazy not to have gym access..

ec- my joke made perfect sense. stfu.

cal- good thing you've already got a woman. the poor girl.

Nevermore- thanks for the tip.. I'll let you know how it goes, probably on wednesday or so.

So I went back, did legs. My spotter almost killed me.

Squats:

135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 405 x 2, 530 x 1, 550 x big fat miss, 315 x 6

So 530 is a PR without wraps... just a belt. Happy with that. Had more energy, decided to push it.

Note to spotters:

1)When the lifter says "stay with me", stay with him.

2)When the lifter is struggling, come to his aid. Do not wait for his third request

3)After the third request, please provide more than 5 pounds of lift for a 500+ pound squat that is clearly not coming up on its own.

4)Don't say "I thought you had it" while the lifter lies on the ground gasping in pain. For when he stands up, he will certainly want to kill you.

That is all.

Did some leg extensions, some light calf work, and then 25 minutes of sprints on the bike. I was too wiped out to do anything serious.

Diet- way off this weekend... but free!

Sleep- Very good... averaging about 7.5 hours the last three nights.

And that's it.

Relentless
06-14-2004, 02:15 PM
pity about the bad spot

I find that I have to brief any spotters thoroughly in order for me to be comfortable. I usually preface it by mentioning that I mean no offense to their own knowledge and that I simply want to ensure I'm getting the spot that I want. The sad thing is, where I lift I sometimes literally don't bother asking for a spot because there's no one in the gym I'd trust to help me.

Nice squattin' though; I'm going to start going heavier there again myself I think. Repped a couple ATFs at 315 which hints to me that my knee is in fact totally healed after last summer. Which is nice. Maybe we'll get my squat up into the 4 plate area where it belongs...

Alex.V
06-15-2004, 02:42 PM
cal, be damn careful with that. Those are the knees you gotta have the rest of your life, blah blah blah all that sh*t. Squats are funny, though, ain't they? You almost don't miss them if you don't do them for a while, but once you taste them again, you want that poundage to be back up where it should be.

And... my gym is horrible for spots. The key is, as you said, tell them EXACTLY what you need. I thought I did. I was wrong.

So, um, back day!

Well, started off with some bench pressin.. mostly speed type work:

Close grip bench press:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 6, 315 x 3, 335 x 3, 225 x 16

Whee.

No, these were good. I was happy with the 335 x 3, I usually don't rep much above 300.

Bi-angular row:

10 plates + 50 x 6, 10 plates x 7, 8 plates x 14

Nothing amazing here, I was a little tired.

Pulldowns:

Stack (250) x 12, stack x 12

Funny how quickly my back gets exhausted, it was done.

Finished up with concentration curls with the 55's and hammers with the 90's.

Then I went home, took a shower, and got my tongue pierced.
Yeah, it didn't hurt at all, probably the least painful needle prick ever. It's weird feeling it in my mouth, I'm sure I'll get used to it. I loaded up on mouthwash, ibuprofen, and hydrogen peroxide... also bought some cheap ass MRP/weight gainer to tide me over the next day or two.

The no oral thing bothers me. My poor girl. I might cheat on that one.

And that's about it, yo. Diet's been good, sleep's been average (~7 hours a night)... yeah.

ElPietro
06-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Yeah, it didn't hurt at all, probably the least painful needle prick ever. It's weird feeling it in my mouth, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Focused70
06-15-2004, 03:18 PM
:lurk:

Stash

chops
06-15-2004, 03:24 PM
whoa, u must have a high threshold for pain
:spam:

Alex.V
06-15-2004, 03:48 PM

lil' wider there, buddy.

chops- nah, it really didn't hurt. Funny, biting the tongue hurts like hell. Sticking a needle through it... meh.

Reinier
06-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Is the fact you think/know it will improve your ability to perform oral sex the only reason you chose to get your tongue pierced, or do you also think it's cool on another level?

I never really understood what the big deal is about getting oral from somebody who has a pierced tongue. Then again it never happened to me.

Beast
06-15-2004, 05:52 PM
I never really understood what the big deal is about getting oral from somebody who has a pierced tongue. Then again it never happened to me.
I've gotten it and it felt the same. :/

_-_v_-_
06-15-2004, 09:13 PM
Dude, I feel puny.

And no, not because you got your tongue pierced (though admittedly I'll never do so myself, and therefore should probably feel somwhat puny in comparison).

Nice lifting.

BTW, sent you an email from a yahoo account (subject: The Oft-Mentioned Good News) -- no, it isn't spam :). lol.

Thanks again, man.

Reinier
06-16-2004, 05:40 AM
I bet Belial lisps a bit right now- or not

Alex.V
06-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Reinier - I like the style, more than anything, figured I'd give it a try, see if it worked. As far as oral goes, I don't know if it'll affect how good I am at it, that wasn't really a consideration. I don't see how it could hurt, though.. another sensation to add. There's no lisping, though... so far the swelling's been minimal, if there's been any at all.

Already eating normally, too.

V- what e-mail address are you sending these e-mails to? I haven't gotten a single one from you. alv3@duke.edu Try it again. And make the subject all caps or something. (I get ****loads of spam)

ectx
06-16-2004, 11:10 AM
hmmm, peroxide on an open wound...nothing like the feeling of a chemical antiseptic that acts mechanically on your raw flesh. hehe...I said raw.

*steals hair drier*

_-_v_-_
06-16-2004, 11:21 AM
B,

Sent it to alv3@duke.edu . However, I sent it from a yahoo email address, which may be preemptively blocked by duke's spam filter. I'll just PM it to you instead -- that should go through.

And good to hear that everything's back to normal so quickly after such a procedure -- you're a lucky bastard, you know that?

cphafner
06-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Belial-they claim that they are very few nerves endings in the middle of the tounge(the reason why it's normally lighter in color) than the outsides, which is why it doesn't hurt to get pierced. I ignored all their rules, and I still have my tounge, but do what you wish...

chops
06-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Is the fact you think/know it will improve your ability to perform oral sex the only reason you chose to get your tongue pierced, or do you also think it's cool on another level?

hehe cool someone asked the question that i didn't dare ask

Relentless
06-16-2004, 12:16 PM
The no oral thing bothers me. My poor girl. I might cheat on that one.

I wouldna thake the thanth, Alecth

buy her a pocketh rocketh thoo thide her ohver -- yoo thoo can have lotth of fun with thath

(written in phonetic pierced-tongue english) :D

Focused70
06-16-2004, 12:57 PM
GAAAAAAAACK!!!!

ok, that felt good. :D

Stash

ps. will an eyebrow be next? ;)

Alex.V
06-17-2004, 03:44 PM
ec - yeah, well, as far as mouth disinfectants go, there aren't many other options.

v- it certainly did. Gimme a little bit to get to it. :)

chops- too bad it was reinier. ;)

cal- many steps ahead of you. She didn't like it, though... shame.

soba- no. At least I can fake being presentable with this thing.

And I did deadlifts today! Much fun was had by all, including my new workout partner, who I convinced to pull 405 today. Not bad, considering that was his PR six months ago when he stopped working out. (second week back deadlifting, btw. Taught him everything he knows. ;)

Deadlifts:

135 x 5, 225 x 3, 315 x 3, 405 x 2, 495 x 1, 655 x 1, 655 x .75, 495 x 1 x 6

Last six singles were done about ten seconds apart. These felt very good today, 655 had plenty of power.. while I won't say it flew up, it came up pretty damn fast.

Lateral raises with the 60's, 3 sets of 12. Bent-over laterals with the 55's, 2 sets of 10.

Finished off with lots o' calf raises, and some hanging leg raises. Nothing particularly exciting there.

Diet's been good. Eating takes a while, so I've been eating non-stop the last few days... so nice.

Sleep's been way off. The girl's been practically living over here (well, she literally will in two weeks), and she has to get up early for class every morning.

So today she decided to set the alarm early so she could get up, have some breakfast, and do some work. That consisted of putting the alarm on her side (so I wouldn't have to hit it) and setting it for 7:30.

So from 7:30 to 8:40 every ten minutes I'd reach across her to slam the snooze button on the alarm, hoping she'd somehow wake up. It was not the most restful hour of sleep.

That is the end of my story.

I am going to finish my dinner now.

_-_v_-_
06-17-2004, 09:01 PM
v- it certainly did. Gimme a little bit to get to it.

Sure, man. No hurry. Just am glad that you would even take the time at all.

Thanks again.

Relentless
06-18-2004, 06:32 AM
So today she decided to set the alarm early so she could get up, have some breakfast, and do some work. That consisted of putting the alarm on her side (so I wouldn't have to hit it) and setting it for 7:30.

So from 7:30 to 8:40 every ten minutes I'd reach across her to slam the snooze button on the alarm, hoping she'd somehow wake up. It was not the most restful hour of sleep.

Just cuddle up, rub your morningwood on her and grab some titty.

She'll either get mad enough to wake up and get the hell out of bed, or you'll get morning nookie.

It's a win-win, I tell you.

Paul Stagg
06-18-2004, 08:08 AM
[Marv Albert]

YES!

[/Marv Albert]

Focused70
06-18-2004, 09:02 AM
You learn new things every day in Alex's journal, I tells ya. ;)

Stash

Beast
06-18-2004, 09:13 AM
or you'll get morning nookie.

Nothing beats that! ;)

Alex.V
06-18-2004, 11:36 AM
You learn new things every day in Alex's journal, I tells ya. ;)

Stash

Indeed! Shame so little has to do with lifting.

Cal- she's all about that. Too bad she wakes up at 8:00 for class. That's just too early. For morning nookie or anything else. I mean, really, priorities man!

Or do I have my priorities all wrong.

Relentless
06-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Or do I have my priorities all wrong.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

rookiebldr
06-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Yes, nothing better than morning nookie

Scott S
06-19-2004, 12:58 AM
Much fun was had by all, including my new workout partner, who I convinced to pull 405 today. Not bad, considering that was his PR six months ago when he stopped working out. (second week back deadlifting, btw. Taught him everything he knows. ;)

Is this the mystery friend who pulled 250-something his second day deadlifting? Damn...

Scott S
06-19-2004, 12:59 AM
Yes, nothing better than morning nookie

*cries nostalgically*

Alex.V
06-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Scott- nah, different guy.

Morning nookie is nice. Even though calling it nookie is slightly swishy. Still, it's always good. Morning, night... midday... between classes, before and after meals...

I need to get laid.

SO!

Late on the updates... mostly because benching yesterday sucked, so we won't even discuss.

Today was interesting, though... did some legs, then did some sprints. And was VERY pleased with the latter.

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 3, 405 x 3, 405 x 3

Wasn't feeling good... lower back a little sore from thursday still.

So I did some front squats. For the first time in ages.

Front squats:

225 x 8, 225 x 10, 315 x 6

Not bad... the clean grip hurt the most; it's been a while since I worked on that flexibility. I might do these off and on for a few weeks, I think.

Leg press:

12 plates x 10, 12 plates x 10

Same weight with calves... 3 sets of 15

Then, running!

Did a mile and a half, didn't pace it out... just to get loose. Then had some kid on the track team time my 40's.

5.2, 4.7 ~4.4

Which I was happy with. Very happy with. The kid did say it was faster than he's seen the sprinters do em, so I'm pretty sure the number wasn't off. of course, now I'm toast.

Diet- excellent. yeah solid food.

Sleep- also excellent.

_-_v_-_
06-20-2004, 10:05 PM
You deadlift +600.

You run a 4.4 40.

You have a girlfriend.

I. Hate. You.

HAET!!!

:)

Focused70
06-21-2004, 07:09 PM
All in due time, my brother, all in due time.

Nice squatz, B.

Stash

Alex.V
06-22-2004, 01:57 PM
V, I hate me too. I thought we covered this. :)

Stash, Soba, whatever you prefer... thanks bro. Not as impressive as some weeks, though. :(

And today I did some speed work on bench and a lil' back.

CGBP:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 5, 275 x 3 (paused), 275 x 5 (paused), 275 x 6

On the two 275 sets bracketing the paused, I stopped once I slowed down, i.e. when they were no longer explosive. Paused reps were done with a full descent, then a slow ascent to my sticking point, holding for a full three seconds, then pushing up the rep. Not too bad, I guess.

Bi-angular row:

12 plates x 4, 10 plates x 9, 10 plates x 7

Not my best effort. :(

Pulldowns:

250 x 12, 250 x 14

Again, not my best, but decent given I was being a wuss.

Concentration curls with the 55's, hammers with the 90's, called it a day.

Diet- pfffft

Sleep- 7.5 hours. woohoo, sleeping like a normal person!

Other- I defriended this girl yesterday. She was being obnoxious. I mean, really, who gets on your **** for not taking her on a liquor run, and not heading down to her apt. for a threesome with her skank of a roommate? She knows I have a girl, she knows I don't cheat, and still she gets pissed, sends me a bitchy IM, and blocks me. Nobody should have to deal with that.

Teufelhund
06-22-2004, 02:09 PM
hmm. the roomate was not your kind of guy, eh? :p

dang man. Hammer curling 90s? I'm jealous!

Relentless
06-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Even though calling it nookie is slightly swishy.

Oh shut up.

Although I guess you would have firsthand experience about being slightly swishy, Neonboy.

Good work on the defriending though. I predict many of your admirers will bitch and moan about the fact that they are getting NO nookie and here you are turning down threesomes with skanky hos.

Reinier
06-22-2004, 02:27 PM
LOL she must have been hurt in her ego for not being unresistable to you.

Anthony
06-22-2004, 02:40 PM
I really don't understand how you hammer curl the 90s. :(

_-_v_-_
06-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Dude, defriending evil women is one of life's great pleasures.

And for once, I actually know of what I speak.

Reinier
06-22-2004, 03:06 PM
What the hell is that about lol?

I've seen people deadlift 600+

I've seen people bench 550 lbs.

The national Bodybuilding champion in Holland trains in my gym.

I have never, ever seen anybody curl the 90 lbs dumbbells.

The biggest guys OH press the 90s for a superset with fast reps.
You don't curl those.

Get yourself looked after.

fuzz
06-22-2004, 03:15 PM
A video of those curls would be interesting.

Wheres mason when you need him...

ectx
06-22-2004, 03:32 PM
it's not so much a curl as it is a swing and hoist. Nice hoisting, joto.:p

Alex.V
06-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Teufelhund- try cross-body hammers. If you've got strong forearms, you'll be amazed at how much weight you can put up. They're a great lift, they've done wonders for my grip strength.

Cal- the problem is that she USED to be hot.. until she turned all skanky. Believe me, if I were attracted to her, I wouldn't be quite as annoyed at her for asking, but as it is I'm not flattered.

and AGAIN with the neon. You guys need new material. I mean, for god's sake, I give you PLENTY!

Reinier- exactly. Of course, she's getting turned down left and right lately, I'd think she'd be used to it.

V- do I want to hear this story? lol

Reinier 2- I've seen people actually curl the 90's, not cross-body hammer them... and I don't exactly lift in the most hardcore gym ever. And if the big guys are only OH pressing the 90's, even for fast reps in a superset, they might need to think about getting some heavier weights.

fuzz- I would never, ever, under any circumstance, stoop so low as to video a curl. Deadlifts, squats, benches.. maybe. Or if I could curl what some people bench, like mason, I would.

And if anybody's actually being skeptical on this, they're welcome to take a little jaunt down to carolina and fellate my mustang's tailpipe.

Alex.V
06-22-2004, 03:34 PM
And ec, my form is very tight on these, as it is on almost all my lifts. However, you may NOT touch my car... knowing you, it'd end up pregnant with stereo components missing. Damn mexicans.

ectx
06-22-2004, 03:38 PM
I ain't touching your neon, homes. It's all skanky. Not even if it called and asked me for a threesome. I've defriended it long ago.

Alex.V
06-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Good call, man, you don't know where it's been.

:hump:

_-_v_-_
06-22-2004, 04:01 PM
The story is epic.

And by epic, I mean tragic.

And by tragic, I mean pure, unmitigated, ****ing misery.

It's really quite the story, honestly. If you're interested, let me know, I'll AIM you.

Beast
06-22-2004, 04:27 PM
What type of Mustang do you have? I used to have one, but it got owned. :(

Scott S
06-22-2004, 04:32 PM
Deadlifts, squats, benches.. maybe.

Whatever happened to the plan to have another Duke-area WBBer do the taping?

WillKuenzel
06-22-2004, 04:56 PM
I'd be more than happy to vouch for any of those lifts but that's not quite as cool as actually seeing them. Him curling the 90's is not nearly as impressive as seeing him struggle to curl the bar in the smith machine. :p

MixmasterNash
06-22-2004, 06:28 PM
A smith machine can't weight too much more than 300lbs. Let's see you OH press that bitch.

chris mason
06-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Hammer curling the 90s is very impressive, but not something I doubt he could do.

Anthony
06-22-2004, 07:36 PM
When I posted about the 90s, I wasn't doubting it, just hard for me to imagine doing it myself. :D

WillKuenzel
06-22-2004, 10:56 PM
I've seen people deadlift 600+

I've seen people bench 550 lbs.

LOL, you know what's funny, I've seen more people curling the 90's than I've seen either of those 2. Granted I used to workout in a hardcore curl jockey gym, where deadlifting was unknown.

Focused70
06-22-2004, 11:52 PM
What's this about fellating a tailpipe?

Is that some kind of new trick involving horses?

Oh and nice effort, B.

Stash

Alex.V
06-24-2004, 08:28 AM
Beast- I got myself a '95 convertible... what'd you have?

Scott- I haven't talked to some of them in ages... my friend Anthony who has the digital camera with recording capability should be back in town in a month or so, though...

HomeWill- Stop givin me ****, bro... that's a big barbell on that smith machine, and everybody knows smith machine curls are better because they let you use more weight and protect your elbows.

MMN- OH press? How will THAT make my biceps bigger? pfft.

Chris- If you take the cross-body factor into account, they're actually not that difficult (as I'm sure you know). Also, given my deadlifts, my strong forearms (esp. brachioradialis) makes this lift a good one for me.

Anthony- wasn't referring to you, mang. :) Though I'm sure my car would appreciate it anyway...

Homeskinny pt. II- True. Actually, I've seen zero other 600 pound deadlifters and only one person who out-benches me at my gym... yet I've seen a bunch of guys putting up comparable weight (and more) on various curls.

Soba- Why'd you have to go down that beastiality route? god damn, I'd hate to see your kazaa search history.

ElPietro
06-24-2004, 08:38 AM
Ah, you do your hammers across the body? I think I used to do them like that long ago. Might have to give it a try that way and see how it feels. Right now I do them to the front, and actually up to the shoulder, so that the part of the DB facing away, is the part that is touching my shoulder at the end.

Maybe that's just the mexicant way to do 'em. ;)

Anthony
06-24-2004, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure what you mean about your car ... ?? lol

Focused70
06-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Kazaa caused me to get a new computer.

Me and Kazaa don't get along. Virus city, anyone?

Stash

ectx
06-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Alex, I've recently started using American Crew's moisturizing aftershave. I highly recommend it. I've even been told my skin looks like it's positively glowing. :p

WillKuenzel
06-25-2004, 11:50 AM
That's from all that time spent in the radioactive basement of the lab, not the aftershave.

Beast
06-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Nice, Belial. I had a '95 GT convertible, too. It was beautiful... vibrant red with a white leather interior. Last year for that nice 5.0L engine.

I have a Mazda6 now and love it, but it's not as fun as a Mustang.

Reinier
06-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Belial - The best bodybuilder in my gym was 5"9 222 lbs, <3% bf -> yeah I'm serious... this was his fix and why he won, he was beyond shredded for an amateur.
I saw his contest pics and I wondered why he was sucking his cheeks in in all the pics, then I realised he wasn't. He had definition in all sorts of places you're not supposed to like lymph glands and facial veins and whatnot. He was as red as a lobster too.

Since he's grown quite a bit. I saw him seated OH press the 90's this week and he looked like he was going to explode or poop a brick or something.

He's part of a group of three hardcore lifters in my gym. None of them lift all that much weight. They do practically anything to make their workout intense EXCEPT lift really heavy. I don't know why. It appears to be working for them.

Scott S
06-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Don't you mean "<3%", Reinier?

I agree with you though. So many lifters are so caught up in different ways to boost the "intensity" they miss the part about heavy weights. :rolleyes:

Reinier
06-27-2004, 08:35 AM
You're right. I always mix up the greater than/smaller than signs. It's cost me points in math tests on questions I understood before it sucks.

Focused70
06-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Where are teh workouts?!?!? :D

Stash

Alex.V
06-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Yeah, sorry, saturday's workout was uninspiring, so I didn't post it. I suck, truly.

shut up rene.

Pete- Mexicant's don't do curls, period. They steal TVs and jump fences, both of which are strictly full body exercises. But I do like crossbodies a hell of a lot better.

Anthony- Me neither.

Soba- I know, narc's computer was down for months because of that goddamn program and the spyware that decided to join it.

ec- homo.

Homeyield- that statement was not addressed to me, and I don't have a reply, but I didn't want you to feel left out.

homo.

Beast- what happened to it?

Reinier- well, it does sound like you can't argue with results... I'm not sure I'd be happy lifting like that, but I suppose as long as they're making progress in their own slow way... eh, I dunno. That would bore the crap outta me. Still, shredded lymph nodes.. sounds hot.

And I did legs today... which went decently. Couldn't go test my 100's, though, since it was rainy and ****ty.

Squats:

135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 5, 405 x 2, 495 x 1, 530 x 1, 405 x 4, 315 x 10

530 is a personal best without wraps.. just a belt. when I hit 545, it was with full knee wraps. So, um, decent improvement for me.

DB lunges:

85's x 10, 110's x 8, 110's x 6

Those numbers are per dumbbell, per leg. And what gets to me on these is the nausea... Nothing makes me want to boot like these do. Nothing.

Did some leg extensions, some calf raises, and left.

Diet- very good.

Sleep- also very good.

And there's little else interesting to say. Except I spent the last two weeks trying to take care of loan ****... sent in three different proofs on enrollment from duke, two of which were personal letters from department heads saying I was enrolled.. I did this because the bank kept refusing loan approval based on inadequate proof of enrollment. Got a call today from the bank after my last letter went in. The lady said "Look, if you're going to switch schools, why don't you just send in a letter stating that, and we won't keep rejecting it". Asked her what she was talking about. She said "well, this stuff is coming in from Duke. That's not the school you said you were attending"

Apparently, somehow "Duke University" got changed to "Great Lakes Community College" (Madison, Wisconsin) on my promissory note when it was put into the computer. I informed the lady that the form I faxed (which was sitting right in front of me) said Duke on it, my e-mails were coming from duke.edu, the letters were all coming from duke, my ****ing address was in durham, NC, and I had never even heard of f*cking great f*cking lakes community f*cking college, and where the hell were they getting that damn idea from... the woman put me on hold, and five minutes later apologized like hell, said it was an error on their end, they apologized for putting me (and those letter writers) through all that inconvenience. Said they'd fix it. About an hour later they called me and told me the loan was approved, and they'd overnight the check to me.

idiots.

That was my story. It gave me much rage today.

:)

fuzz
06-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Heh.

I live in Madison, and I don't even know where Great Lakes is. I've heard of it maybe once or twice...never seen it, though.

Student loan stuff sucks.

Relentless
06-29-2004, 06:25 AM
Apparently, somehow "Duke University" got changed to "Great Lakes Community College" (Madison, Wisconsin) on my promissory note when it was put into the computer. I informed the lady that the form I faxed (which was sitting right in front of me) said Duke on it, my e-mails were coming from duke.edu, the letters were all coming from duke, my ****ing address was in durham, NC, and I had never even heard of f*cking great f*cking lakes community f*cking college, and where the hell were they getting that damn idea from... the woman put me on hold, and five minutes later apologized like hell, said it was an error on their end, they apologized for putting me (and those letter writers) through all that inconvenience. Said they'd fix it. About an hour later they called me and told me the loan was approved, and they'd overnight the check to me.

idiots.

They should give you extra on the loan or something for the inconvenience.

if it makes you feel any better, the student loans here in Canada are mostly government-secured and sponsored which adds an entirely extra layer of bureaucratic horse**** that you have to wade through sometimes.

On the up side, after 5 years of university I only owed $20K, which I *almost* have paid off now, 8 years later... ;)

RuLess
06-29-2004, 06:31 AM
your lunges are just sick.

Max-Mex
06-29-2004, 07:54 AM
Mmm....student loans. It sucks getting them and it sucks paying them. Next year, I'll be loan free!

Nice squats btw. The lunges are freaky. Combination farmers walk, lunge.

_-_v_-_
06-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Sorry to hear about the student loans, man.

They're one reason why I'm in such a hurry to finish up here. It's not that I've taken some out -- it's that I don't want to take some out.

And if all goes well, I won't have to -- if all goes well, I'll be out of here by this December.

Focused70
06-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Dude, what the hell are you taking out loans from a bank for!??!

Ever hear of the Direct Loan program from the government? I'm locked in at 8.25% for the life of my loan and it'll never go higher than that, regardless of whether the Fed raises interest rates or not.

Man, I feel your pain.

Nice leg effort though.

Stash

_-_v_-_
06-29-2004, 09:26 PM
BTW, out of curiousity: When would be a good time to catch you on AIM or WBB? Could use some advice at some point. No hurry, though -- what with MCAT prep, lab work, and 10 units of classes, I'm busy as hell myself.

Alex.V
06-29-2004, 10:33 PM
Dude, what the hell are you taking out loans from a bank for!??!

Because I can consolidate all my loans into a fixed 3.5% interest once I'm done. Ah, the joys of having a co-signer. :D

And 8.25% kinda sucks, man. You sure that was the best deal? Even without consolidation my worst loan option was around 6.05%

V- the best time to reach me is when I reply. :)

Fuzz- no doubt. Good lord, this thing's been a god damn thorn in my side for too long.

Cal- they gave me free overnight shipping on the check... does that count for anything?

Honestly, the bureaucratic crap ain't so bad... or, it wouldn't be if the repayment didn't suck so bad. ;) I'd take your lower loan amount, I figure my time spent on the phone is worth less than the difference!

RuLess- they do inspire nausea. in me.

max-mex, how long you been repaying them?

So I did back and some benching today... it was also rather boring.

CGBP:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 5, 315 x 6, 275 x 6, 225 x 15

I was happy with the 315... that's definitely the most reps I've done at that weight... had a lot of extra energy, not sure where it came from. Probably the excessive caffeine. Which made me feel horrible later in the day.

Bi-angular row:

10 plates x 10, 10 plates x 7, 8 plates x 13

Bleh. Worn out already.

Concentration curls, 5 sets with the 55's. Then I did 20 minutes of sprints on the bike... didn't do the 100's because my legs were still sore from yesterday.

God damn, my workouts are long. aren't they?

Diet- lots of pancakes, eggs, and chinese food.

Sleep- not nearly enough.

_-_v_-_
06-29-2004, 11:34 PM
lol.

I'll keep that in mind. Was just afraid I was being irritating.

And by "afraid," of course, I mean "absolutely sure."

Max-Mex
06-30-2004, 03:23 AM
max-mex, how long you been repaying them?

Graduated in 1993. Started paying them in Sept of that year if i recall correctly. Will be done sometime in 2005, around Jan I think. I'm trying to pay my last one off by November or December the latest. I had 2 loans left but one of the lenders said I didn't have to pay anymore. I had like $400 left. Not sure why they did it but I'm not complaining.

Scott S
06-30-2004, 06:11 AM
So you graduated?