PDA

View Full Version : HEY, why not.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18

fuzz
06-30-2004, 07:25 AM
Dude, what the hell are you taking out loans from a bank for!??!

Ever hear of the Direct Loan program from the government? I'm locked in at 8.25% for the life of my loan and it'll never go higher than that, regardless of whether the Fed raises interest rates or not.

Man, I feel your pain.

Nice leg effort though.

Stash

You should refi or consolidate this loan - the rates are around 2.5% for the best loans right now.

Focused70
06-30-2004, 08:44 AM
It's actually on a variable rate, and I just checked -- rates have been something like 3.37% for a while now. What I meant to say is that it will never rise higher than 8.25% for the life of the loan. And because the repayments are automatic every month from my checking account, I qualify for an additional .025% reduction in interest rates. Not much true, but it adds up over time.

I only have one loan to repay....so it doesn't make sense for me to consolidate, I don't think. Also want to add, this was a federally guaranteed Direct Loan (which was paid out of the Federal Treasury), so its not affected by pending legislation in Congress to replace fixed rates with variable rates (with a cap of 8.25%). And last, if I do consolidate, I automatically lose out on opportunities to defer repayments and/or opportunities on loan forgiveness (i.e., if I decide to go work for the government).

Stash

Beast
06-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Beast- what happened to it?
I was about to make a right turn - had my blinker on - and this dickhead in a truck behind me reaches down to find his friend a cigarette and just bumps my car and pushes it into this huge rot-iron sign that was cemented into the ground. Right when I hit the sign the car shut off. His insurance company deemed it "totaled."
I am enjoying my new car, though. A Mazda6.

Alex.V
07-03-2004, 01:58 PM
V- nah, man... it can't be irritating if I'm never there. lol

max-mex.. how often do creditors "forget" you owe them money? That's the most amazing story ever.

Scott- me? Yep... still in school, though..

Soba- not a bad deal overall, but still comparable to the private loans... and the 8.25% rate is probably a likely cap on private education loans in the next decade or so anyway.

Beast- Saddest. Story. Ever. Other drivers (and insurance companies) should all be carpet bombed.

So thursday was a write-off. Sore as hell from moving people in and out of their apartments for 4 hours in the morning (in 88 degree heat with 80% humidity), so my deadlift workout was a non-event. Still, got some good sleep in, chilled last night. (Saw spiderman 2... good movie, but Tobey Maguire... all wrong. I pitied him in the movie. You're not supposed to pity Peter Parker, he's supposed to grow into an individual you respect, not STILL be a loser.)

And had a good workout today, sans all stimulants. That's right. No ephedrine, no coke, no coffee, nada. So my hopes weren't high, but it went well. I guess the decrease in artificial stimulation was offset by my greater mental focus... I wasn't in a million places at once in my head.

Regular bench press:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 6, 315 x 2, 340 x 1, 365 x 1, 275 x 10, 300 x 7

I was happy... I haven't done any serious regular grip benching since I hurt my shoulder about 8 or 9 months ago. I probably had about 385-390 in me, which is not that far off my wide grip max. I'm going to stick with these... it'll be a slow road up while keeping my shoulder healthy, but should be well worth it in a few months.

DB flyes:

70's x 10, 75's x 8, 75's x 9

rah.

Pushdowns:

160 x 10/10 (one-handed), 200 x 16, 200 x 14 (Two handed)

Triceps remarkably tired after these, even though the weight was kinda sad.

Front raises, 3 sets of 8 with the 55's.

And that was it. I feel good... nicely worked, but not too sore. Diet's been good lately, sleep's been improving, and steady sex has been good for my mood. So I can't complain. Oh, except about the job situation. Or continuing lack thereof. Interview on the 19th for my EMT job, though... so we'll see where that goes.

And that's it.

Focused70
07-03-2004, 04:01 PM
It's the part about "steady sex" that gives Alex's journal all its luster. :hump:

Cool bench (and upper bod effort)!

Stash

Alex.V
07-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Gracias, Soba.

So, my leg workout was decent, and today's was average, but it was the 2 hours of moving **** up and down several flights of stairs in the 95 degree heat that was really bangin.

Sunday:

legs:

Squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 4, 315 x 4, 405 x 1, 540 x 1, 495 x 1, 405 x 3, 315 x 4

540 is very close to a new max for me, and this is without wraps. Cut depth on 495, which did not make me happy... but hips were unusually sore today.

Leg press:

22 plates x 8, 20 plates x 8, 20 plates x 8

Did the same weight for four sets on calf raises, then cut out.

Then today:

Close grip bench press:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 5, 315 x 4, 335 x 2, 375 x miss, 375 x 1, 315 x 4

Decently happy, given I benched two days ago. Had extra power, the first miss was a balance issue. Not my strongest day, but far from my weakest.

Bi-angular row:

10 plates x 12, 10 plates x 8, 10 plates x 7

Pulldowns:

250 x 14 (failure)

Concentration curls with the 55's, two sets of 8, then hammers with the 90's for 7 then the 110's for four.. 110's were too heavy, but they were fun.

And lifting is a lot more fun when you can harass your girlfriend when she comes in. Good times. Even if guys give you **** for it.

Diet- excellent, but probably not enough today to make up for all that moving.

Sleep- eh. Good every night until last.

And thas' 'bout it.

_-_v_-_
07-05-2004, 04:52 PM
110s.

Hammer Curls.

Those are phrases that should never be used in the same sentence. Ever.

jk.

Impressive lifting, A (there, you see? I'm not totally deaf to other's comments/advice :) )

Beast
07-06-2004, 08:24 AM
You should get the EMT job... you go to Duke. ;)

RuLess
07-06-2004, 07:21 PM
110 hammies .. wow

Alex.V
07-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Eh, curls, so what. :)

V- thank you, my name does indeed begin with the letter A. Once you start taking advice, it becomes addictive, I swear. :D

So, uh, deadlifts yesterday before a long ass drive.

Nothing spectacular, due to really weird hand pain.

Deadlifts:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 495 x 2, 660 x 1, 685 x what the hell.

660 felt fine... easy, almost. 685, I started to pull, and about five or six inches off the ground the center of my palm felt like it was on fire. Actually, it felt like someone stuck a nail in there and was twisting it around. I figured it wasn't some stigmata related thing, and dropped the bar. I can't explain it, it ached a bit afterwards but is fine today. odd. Ideas, anyone? Cramp? minor tear?

Anyway, watched some 165 pound kid pull 315 his first time (I was teaching him deads... someday he may be teaching ME with that kinda lifting), then did some laterals with the 60's, bent over lateral's with the 55's, some leg raises, some calf raises on the machine, then cut out. That long drive was agony with my lower back hurting like that... I think I compromised form due to hand discomfort. i.e. it hurt like a ****ing bitch so I lost control.

Thas' 'bout it. kally's asleep, I'm chilling in my dad's apt.. in hoboken, and trying to figure out how I can get myself in trouble tonight.

Diet- good

Sleep- 2 hours. yes. sucked.

thas' it.

_-_v_-_
07-09-2004, 04:18 PM
V- thank you, my name does indeed begin with the letter A. Once you start taking advice, it becomes addictive, I swear.

That's what I'm hoping, at any rate. Because God knows I certainly need: A) some advice; and B) to start taking said advice (cf. my journal).

Impressive workout, man. It's always nice to be back with family -- I spent the fourth with some of mine. Was a Very Good Thing (TM).

Alex.V
07-12-2004, 08:42 PM
Aaaaand, leg day.

But first!

Yes, I have a new kitten. It's damn adorable... tiny little orange tabby, damn sweet, follows me around, and has figured out where the litterbox is. I'm such a ****in softie.

It's sad, really.

Moving right along!

Spent all weekend driving all over the place and not eating like I should... workout was mediocre. (A trend... yes it is)

Squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 495 x 1, 545 x 1 , 405 x 4

Mediocre other than matching my PR, only this time without wraps. I was stoked. Then tried it again, and missed. Bad.

Ah well.

Leg press strip set:

22 plates x 5
20 plates x 5
18 plates x 5
16 plates x 5
14 plates x 5
12 plates x 5
10 plates x 5
8 plates x 5
6 plates x 5

This was fun. I twitched afterwards.

I think calf raises and hanging leg raises were performed next, but I'm not totally sure. The pain kinda blocked out memory.

And that's 'bout it, yo.

Diet- way off

Sleep- mixed bag.

All else... good. I have a cat to abuse.

Fart Barker
07-12-2004, 08:46 PM
twitching is fun

Focused70
07-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Insane leg workout, Alex.

Pix of the tabby?

Stash-ito

Scott S
07-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Aww.... everybody's getting cats these days, it seems. Pics?

And I have no idea what happened to your hand, unless you pulled a tendon gripping the bar.

RuLess
07-12-2004, 11:02 PM
wow, thats a ****in drop set!

DoUgL@S
07-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Awsome squatting. :thumbup: And the legpress dropset was insane.

DM

_-_v_-_
07-15-2004, 08:45 AM
B, just out of curiousity, did my email come through? I was lucky enough to obtain a gmail account; and I was hoping that this account would work, since my email from my last free email account (@ cyber-rights) didn't get through Duke's filter, apparently.

Jane
07-19-2004, 11:34 PM
You bought a kitten and didn't tell me?

I am deeply troubled.

(PS. Hi -V-, one of my best guy friends has been stolen from G-town by your institution of higher education. Arghkjhsdf.)

_-_v_-_
07-20-2004, 09:56 AM
(PS. Hi -V-, one of my best guy friends has been stolen from G-town by your institution of higher education. Arghkjhsdf.)

Mwa ha ha ha ha. Stanford's conquest of the world proceeds apace!

Today Georgetown, tomorrow....HARVARD!!!

How you doing, btw? Enjoying Georgetown?

Alex.V
07-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Jane.... moot point, I guess.

It's been a ****ty week or so. Workouts have been ok, that's not the problem.

But I did pick up a kitten last monday, this adorable little orange thing, sweetest damn animal, shadowed me around the apartment... but he was sick from the moment I brought him home. He was actually sick when he left the shelter.. he was 2.1 pounds on thursday, and 1.7 when they sent him home with me monday... the coughing started later that day, and I took him to the vet wednesday. They said it was an upper respiratory infection, put him on meds... I was religious about them. Things got a little better, then got a little worse. He lost more weight over the weekend, and I took him in yesterday (monday) after he stopped drinking and the diarrhea started. They gave him about 50ml of subcutaneous water, but didn't seem too concerned, just said to monitor him.

He was ok this morning, went over and devoured his food... but slowly deteriorated during the day. Late this afternoon, he was sitting on my bed, and when he went to get up, his hind legs didn't support him. He finally got up and jumped off to try to come over to me, but couldn't catch himself on landing, and hit the ground and lay there. He peed all over himself before I picked him up, then vomited. I carried him to the litterbox as I called around to find an open vet. He got sick again then just sat there in his litterbox, whining a little.

Rushed him to the vet, they said he needed medical attention overnight, probably IV fluids, antibiotics, etc. Had no idea what was wrong with him.

Drove over to an animal hospital, checked in, sat in the waiting room for a few minutes.

Knelt down in front of the kitty as he just kinda sat there meowing softly. Put my face up to his, he squinted and rubbed noses, then his head started to droop. His head went down all the way until it was resting on the table. Picked him up and held him as his breathing got really shallow... his eyes showed that he was already somewhere else. The vet came in... she was really sweet, realized right away that there was almost no hope. Said there was maybe a 5% chance he could pull through. Something was going on, could be the feline equivalent of parvo (forget the name), could have been any number of other things... but he was too far gone, and there was no way I could have known, or caught it in time. So I held him for a little bit longer, then she took him. Signed the euthanasia forms, and that was it.

It'll go down as one of the most painful and ultimately sad weeks in my life.

So I just kinda don't feel like posting my workouts lately. I'll be back to those on thursday.

pruneman
07-20-2004, 09:50 PM
oh man I'm sorry belial. That's really sad. It's amazing how we connect with animals like that.

_-_v_-_
07-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Holy ****, man!

I'm sorry!

****, I feel like such an idiot now, IMing you.

*goes and looks for the crowbar he'll need to pry his foot from his mouth*

WillKuenzel
07-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Incredibly sorry to hear that, Alex. Its never a thing any person should have to deal with.

ectx
07-21-2004, 05:37 AM
:(
Alex, I know how smitten you were with your kitty. That's truly horrible. I hope things look up for you soon. It's understandable that you wouldn't want to post or otherwise.

ElPietro
07-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss Alex. :(

Anthony
07-21-2004, 08:45 AM
That sucks. :(

Focused70
07-21-2004, 09:38 AM

Stash

chops
07-21-2004, 11:34 AM
sorry to hear about that :(

Alex.V
07-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys, all of you. It's been tough, even just looking at little things, like his lil' food and water bowls bring it back. It's so frustrating.. the little guy never even had a chance. I just hope I gave him a happier week then he would have had at the shelter.

These are him:

http://www.duke.edu/~alv3/tree/DukeSummer2004%20034.jpg

http://www.duke.edu/~alv3/tree/DukeSummer2004%20054.jpg

http://www.duke.edu/~alv3/tree/DukeSummer2004%20058.jpg

Rest in peace, little buddy.

WillKuenzel
07-21-2004, 12:25 PM
That damn near brings me to tears. Jess likes to watch Animal rescue on the Animal planet and we keep considering getting another dog or a cat if her allergies would allow it. I know its probably a bit too soon to answer but do you think you are going to consider getting another? Getting one from the shelter is a great thing and having our little dog is probably one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had.

_-_v_-_
07-21-2004, 12:28 PM
****, man.

Again, I'm sorry.

ectx
07-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Jerk. Now my throat's in a knot. Seriously very sad.

_-_v_-_
07-21-2004, 01:15 PM
No kidding.

Those pics should come with an NSFW warning -- remaining productive after viewing those is just about impossible

cphafner
07-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Alex, sorry to hear about the kitten. Hope things are going better for you.

BCC
07-21-2004, 02:00 PM
I too am sorry to hear about your kitten Alex. I know how that all goes, I love cats.

Fart Barker
07-21-2004, 06:12 PM
dude, that just fn sucks

I never will understand how something so innocent has to suffer like that.

My wife and I suffered a similar loss (a puppy we only had for about 2 weeks) about 3 years ago. I still think about him to this day.

sorry :(

_-_v_-_
07-21-2004, 09:10 PM
If anything happened to my family's dog (who still looks and acts like a puppy, thank God -- such is the joy of owning a Miniature Schnauzer) I'd be devastated.

Even more so than I already am, that is. Just in general, I mean; I do a pretty damn good job when it comes to self-devastation, I've found.

Hey B, at one point, you mentioned that I could reach you, if I really needed to, on your cell. When things settle down for you -- god, not now, I don't want to impose when you're dealing with such a raw ****ing deal --, might I briefly take you up on that? If so, I'd greatly appreciate it. I just...could use some input, I guess -- lots of things, as I've mentioned, are culminating, and I know you've been there yourself. It would really help, man.

Again, my condolences, man. ****ing world.

MixmasterNash
07-21-2004, 11:47 PM
Sorry dude. I like cats too. Lucky enough to be cat sitting a good one right now. Let me know if you want to come over and play with her.

PowerManDL
07-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Damn that bites.

It amazes me how the deaths of people rarely impact me unless it's someone really close, but the death of a pet (anybodys) can damn near move me to tears.

Condolences man.

Scott S
07-24-2004, 08:49 PM

Alex.V
07-26-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks again... matt, I hear you, there's something about the innocence of pets, especially the little ones... makes it hard not to get choked up at even a stranger's animal.

Thanks for all the kind words, every bit helps.

And I have to stop looking at those pictures.

I have been working out, though... a few highlights included getting my regular grip bench back to 385 on saturday without too much trouble (highest I've been since my shoulder got injured), take 455 to pretty much rock bottom for a double on squats, getting back into front squats, and doing 22 plates for straight sets of 10 on leg press.

Workouts will be more structured starting tuesday, though.

Meanwhile, only thing I got left to deal with is a girlfriend who still can't walk (and has a race this weekend), and a job to hear back about. (Had my interview last monday, it went pretty damn well I think, but there are about 10 very qualified people left for the 4 slots... I'll hear back within the week)

That's about it. Diet's been slack, as has sleep, but that's not my fault, dammit!

_-_v_-_
07-26-2004, 10:05 AM
B, what's the matter with your girl? She okay?

Hope everything starts looking up, man.

Alex.V
07-26-2004, 08:43 PM
Eh, she's having problems with her leg (the artificial one), and she needs to get it 100% for the first of three weekends of races starting friday... she has a 10k, an 8 mile road race, and an olympic triathlon coming up, so if she's in pain and can barely walk right now, that's a problem. So she's been a little depressed/anxious, which isn't helping things at all. :(

_-_v_-_
07-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Oh, man.

I hope things work out. That's one HELL of an impressive regimen, there!

Beast
07-26-2004, 09:17 PM
She has a whole fake leg and she can do all of that???

pruneman
07-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Hey Belial. Good luck with everything...sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now. Grats on the benching too.

Alex.V
07-27-2004, 06:39 PM
She has a whole fake leg and she can do all of that???

It's humbling to me, at least. lol.

She's actually a below-knee amputee, on her right side, which is the most mobile of any leg amputation... but her overall speed and endurance puts most able-bodied people I know to shame. It's hilarious, she has a handicapped tag for her car, but considers a 6 mile run a warmup.

Pruneman, V, thank ya both!

And I did some speed bench and back today... nothing impressive, trying to recover a little.

Close grip bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 8, 315 x 2, 280 x 9, 280 x 6

The last two sets were not to failure, I simply stopped when I started slowing down. I don't have the kind of explosion I'd like on these, and my left shoulder is aching a little. I'll probably skip the dumbbell press (last week I did a few sets of 8 with the 110's), and let them rest a bit.

Bi-angular row:

10 plates x 8, 8 plates + 50 x 7, 8 plates x 10

I was tired, I don't know what my problem was.

Did one set of pulldowns with the stack (of 12), 3 sets of concentration curls, 1 set of hammers with the 90's, and called it a day. Now it's eating time!

ps- sunday... this chick who was there with her bf kept smiling at me. every time he wasn't looking. We made eye contact. Had quite a few moments. ...poor guy.

heh

diet- good

sleep- averaging 7 hours a night.

other- It's great when your girl consents to homemade porn.

That's it.

Focused70
07-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Doesn't matter, they're still impressive (to me).

:thumbup:

Ok, I need to go do some work now. Still at work, so bored.....bored and eating. lol.

Stash

Scott S
07-27-2004, 08:14 PM

Haha. SOunds like the Belial spirit isn't completely crushed.

_-_v_-_
07-27-2004, 08:23 PM
"Crushed"? No.

Flaccid? Even less so, apparently.

MixmasterNash
07-27-2004, 08:32 PM
She's actually a below-knee amputee, on her right side, which is the most mobile of any leg amputation... but her overall speed and endurance puts most able-bodied people I know to shame. It's hilarious, she has a handicapped tag for her car, but considers a 6 mile run a warmup.

Damnit. I'm the one trying to limit my cardio.

What does she drive? I drive a gay Jetta. Maybe we can swap.

Scott S
07-27-2004, 08:54 PM
What does she drive? I drive a gay Jetta. Maybe we can swap.

Hey, maybe if Kerry gets elected, Jettas will be able to marry each other.

Alex.V
07-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Eh, it was rough, but some things help us bounce back. :whip:

MMN- she drives an accord. But for $50 I'll gank the plates for you.

V- that word just scares me, really.

_-_v_-_
07-28-2004, 07:05 PM
lol.

Don't I know it. Hell, I'm the guy with less of libido than a castrated monk with performance anxiety and self-confidence issues.

chops
07-28-2004, 07:51 PM
that's impressive. to me, 6 miles means i can have a cookie :D your gf would smoke me!

chops
07-28-2004, 07:51 PM

Beast
07-28-2004, 10:27 PM

SCORE! :strong: :clap:

Alex.V
07-29-2004, 02:11 PM
V- TMI, bro. Definitely TMI. lol.

Right!

That said, try lots of foreplay. Lots. It helps. And if all else fails, get better at oral sex. Any girl will love you for that regardless. And everyone can ALWAYS get better. :D

chops- she's insane. Completely insane. I have more respect than ever for her today after trying to do a few 400's. lol.

Beast- :D

Deadlift day!

Kinda fun.. but went tanning first. Bad idea, really. Not a good way to start off a workout..dehydrated and a little spent.

Still, didn't turn out so terrible.

Deadlifts:

135 x 4, 225 x 4, 315 x 3, 405 x 2, 495 x 2, 640 x 1, 640 x ha, 495 x 2

Not terrible, but the 640 just hurt too damn much the second time. Stopped the pull a few inches up.

Static hold:

500 x 41 seconds.

Haven't done these in ages, and I felt it. For some reason a decently hot girl smiled at me after these. She must be some sick fetishist, because this is quite possibly the least attractive looking lift that can be performed in the gym. my hands hurt.

Lateral raises with the 55's, 4 sets of 8, then bent overs with the same, 2 sets of 8.

Hanging leg raises, two sets of 12.

Went outside!

Did a lap to warm up, then 5 x 400's, decent speed (didn't time, but kept a good run the whole way)... more to see if I could handle them, with a 30 second break in between. Endurance sucks, but we knew that. Then 2 100's, just to loosen up.

Then the thunderstorms started, so I left.

I also felt like dying.

Diet- good. I suppose.

Sleep- 7.5 hours, on average, but not quality sleep. Blech.

That's 'bout it. Girl's gone this weekend. I'm going to be hurting.

RuLess
07-29-2004, 09:15 PM
dont people look at u strangely with 6 45's on each side of the bar pulling it off the floor.. wow

Focused70
07-30-2004, 01:59 AM
Deadlifts (and everything else) are awesome as usual.

I am teh king of joto foreplay. I don't need to get better -- I just need more of it. :hump: But that's another topic for another day.

Stashjoto

Alex.V
07-31-2004, 06:59 PM
Ruless- I get look at weird anyway. I think it's the shirt.

Stash- 'joto' does more or less mean homosexual. You realize this, right?
I mean, if you do, that's cool, I got no problem with that, I'm just makin sure.

So I did chest today.

It was decent... I spent the morning helping someone move (yes, again)... I was the guy who got all the heavy stuff. lucky me.

...but it didn't set me back all that much.

Regular grip bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 6, 315 x 4, 345 x 1, 390 x 1, 315 x 5

Called it a day after that. I'm still a ways off my regular grip max, but this was strong (if slow), without much shoulder discomfort. So I was happy.

Db flyes:

75's x 10, 75's x 8

Stopped short, I was hurting.

Pushdowns with the stack (200), 3 sets of 15, then some front raises, then got out of there.

Shoulder's ok, it just feels a little tight during the lifts themselves and immediately after. But discomfort is nil day to day.

Diet- not bad, but my stomach's been funky the last few days. Not good.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

And the girlfriend's out of town until monday. Sucks. And there aren't even hot girls around to tempt me. Not that I would be. But the chance should still be there, dammit.

Anyway.

That's it.

Focused70
07-31-2004, 07:01 PM
Alex: you should read my journal more often. :p

Nice chest session. It'll be a long ways before I get to that level, fo' sho.

Stash

Alex.V
07-31-2004, 07:17 PM
I do, I'm just hampered by the fact that I

A) skim entirely too many, and
B) am not tremendously observant

Focused70
07-31-2004, 07:21 PM
Ah ha! The turmoil in the Force is now clear. :eek:

Check out page 14 or thereabouts for the answer.

Stash

Alex.V
07-31-2004, 10:29 PM
Page 15. :)
Cool, makes more sense now! and I was being flip, but it still holds true.... I sure as hell don't care one way or another.

I am drunk, I will now go to bed.

Scott S
07-31-2004, 11:59 PM
Shoulder's ok, it just feels a little tight during the lifts themselves and immediately after. But discomfort is nil day to day.

Have you tried loosing it up beforehand by leaning over with a light weight in hand, and making little circles? Works great to open up that space.

_-_v_-_
08-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Hey B, just out of curiousity, did my email work? No hurry on response -- just wondering if it got bounced as it did in the past.

Alex.V
08-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Scott- I do everything possible. It's one of those kinds of discomforts that come after the load's been taken off.. i.e., no pain during the lift, but when I rack, as I release tension, it starts to ache. Sucks.

V- I did get your e-mail. First one I've actually gotten, amazing.

Alex.V
08-02-2004, 09:08 PM
So! Finally got in a leg workout, which didn't happen on saturday thanks to justin and a sh*tload of alcohol. Dude, go ahead and give me hell for not being able to hold it. I did a mental tally, and I out-drank you by at least the equivalent of 4 shots or so. So, eat me.

That's right.

Anyway!

Focused on squats, even though I was still hurtin.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 3, 515 x 1, 405 x 3, 315 x 8

Not bad overall... a lot of hip pain, I'm not too sure why it was so bad. So I spent about ten minutes stretching out afterwards.

Leg press:

20 plates x 10, 20 plates x 9

Eh, not so thrilling.

DB lunges:

85's x 6/6, 110's x 6/6, 110's x 5/5

Why do these exhaust me so much? Even after a short set I'm ready to pass out, I'm breathing more heavily than I do even after a heavy set of squats.

Calf raises on the leg press sled, 22 plates x 14 for 3 sets.

And got out of there.

Dinner tonight was at the cheesecake factory. I highly recommend the sampler appetizer... it's absurdly large, and the chocolate raspberry cheesecake is ridiculous. I'm a happy boy.

So in the next few days, I'm supposed to hear back from my potential employer (crossed fingers), and I'm up to cape cod for a week. Oh, good times.

rookiebldr
08-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Dude, go ahead and give me hell for not being able to hold it. I did a mental tally, and I out-drank you by at least the equivalent of 4 shots or so. So, eat me.

Only 4 shots!

_-_v_-_
08-02-2004, 10:49 PM
Best of luck on the job, man.

Cheesecake. A factory of cheesecake.

GODDAMN ALLERGIES!!@##$%@#$5

Alex.V
08-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Hey, 4 shots can make all the difference. Actually, 1 shot can make all the difference. You should know that, jeff.

V, thanks man, it's just a matter of waiting at this point.

So tuesday was a lil' bench and back... It wasn't too shabby.

Close grip bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 8, 315 x 3, 345 x 1, 275 x 10, 225 x 10

The sets at 275 were nice... I'm getting very, very comfortable with that weight, which is good. But I had to drop weight on the last set because the shoulder hurt. That is not good.

Went over to back:

Bi-angular row:

12 plates x 3 (blech), 10 plates x 6, 10 plates x 7, 8 plates x 10

12 plates was silly. It didn't really go anywhere.

Two sets of pulldowns with the stack, then a bunch of jerkoff exercises, known elsewhere as various types of curls.... and then I went home.

Today, I traveled. Was going to drive, decided to fly (because it'd be quicker if it were raining). Yeah, not so much. Almost.
Flight to Washington was delayed. 4 hours. They decided not to tell us that until 5 minutes before what should have been our (already delayed) boarding. Even though the lady at the front desk admitted they'd known for at least 3 hours before departure. Asked to switch to American (they had logan directs). The lady said no. Went to another lady. Offered my firstborn child. She said she was trying to get rid of hers, but would see what she could do. Finally switched me to a direct flight that got me in around the same time as my original flight would have, at no extra charge. Very nice. So I bummed around the airport, had a beer, started talking to this pretty damn fine girl. Turns out she was on my flight. Turns out her seat was next to mine. Turns out she was single and interested. Turns out she was 16.

doh.

Didn't look it. I swear.

And now I'm decompressing at the cape house. I'll try to be good about updates, but no promises, since the gym here, well, sucks. Peace y'all.

RuLess
08-04-2004, 10:57 PM
hahah 16 calmn down belial jk jk

nice cg damn ur tris aare strong

pz

_-_v_-_
08-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Hey man, enjoy the vacation.

Mine blessedly starts in ten days. The MCAT is the 14th; after that, I'm free. Or so I tell myself, at any rate.

Oh. and you're ****ing strong.

Alex.V
08-05-2004, 05:24 PM
What's wrong with 16, man? :angel:

Luke, freedom ends after the MCAT. You should know this. :)

My workout at the Gold's here wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's still the **** gym it was before, (when it was a powerhouse), but I managed to somehow get focused. No chalk, so I skipped deads, but worked more on shoulders and accessory stuff.

Good mornings:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 5, 315 x 6, 315 x 4

These were brutal, but very good. I think I may rotate these in regularly, they certainly can't hurt my lockout.

DB presses:

75's x 10, 90's x 8, 100's x 8, 100's x 8

People stared. I love wussy gyms. Not bad considering I didn't get a liftup on these.

Hammer strength shoulder press:

2 plates + 50 x 8, 6 plates x 6, 6 plates + 50 x 6, 8 plates (full load) x 7

Not bad... my shoulders were on fire (and my tris were cramping), but these felt strong. Very very little discomfort, too, especially after a bit of stretching.

Lateral raises and bent over laterals with the 55's, hanging leg raises, and standing calf raises... cut out afterwards. It was cool, though, one of the trainers there (older guy, very good shape, friend of the owner) asked if I lived around the area and was interested in some free training sessions.... said he could use a workout partner and/or someone to help promote the gym. That was flattering.

And it's time for more home cooking. Yum

ps- I ****ing HATE crowded malls full of little kids.

hate.

Diet- meh
Sleep- meh

_-_v_-_
08-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Luke, freedom ends after the MCAT. You should know this.

LIES, I TELL YOU!!! ALL LIES!!!!!!

:)

Actually, I will have seven weeks between the MCAT (which also marks the end of my summer courses) and the beginning of autumn quarter. Thank god for that -- this has been without question the most stressful summer of my life.

Summers are not meant for stress. Sex, yes; stress, not so much.

Though, now that I think of it, I suppose the two often do go hand in hand...

Any thoughts on the email, btw?

Alex.V
08-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Sex and stress going hand in hand? Shouldn't. That's what escorts are for, man.

....like I should talk.

Lower back hates me. Hates. Yardwork and lower back pain do not go together. And by yardwork I mean taking my cold steel tanto and hacking away at huge amounts of brush. It was fun, but I want to die now.

V, I'll hit that up when I have five minutes to chill. Being home is exhausting.

_-_v_-_
08-06-2004, 03:38 PM
V, I'll hit that up when I have five minutes to chill. Being home is exhausting.

It's cool, man. I guess I'm just paranoid about doing the wrong thing / taking the wrong path and ****ing everything up worse than it already is :)

Enjoy the break, man. Again, the email shouldn't require a massive response -- is just a feedback/ideas/thoughts thing. Thanks again.

RuLess
08-07-2004, 11:03 AM
8 plates ont he shoulder press is wow.

Songsangnim
08-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Haven't done these in ages, and I felt it. For some reason a decently hot girl smiled at me after these. She must be some sick fetishist, because this is quite possibly the least attractive looking lift that can be performed in the gym. my hands hurt.

Must have been the groans. :thumbup: Whenever I do these, people walk away and stare at me. What gym did you say you trained at again? :)

On a serious note that's a bloody impressive static hold. I doubt I could LIFT 500 lbs let alone hold it for 41 seconds. How do you do these? Do you pick it up off the ground or off a rack?

Alex.V
08-10-2004, 03:17 PM
I guess pain and ecstasy DO sound similar, then. Though I was definitely not in ecstasy. I pick them off the ground, chalking up plenty beforehand. It's done with my deadlift grip... the idea is direct translation to the lift, hence the over-under hand position. So an overhand static hold may be more difficult, but didn't make sense for my purposes.

I had a few workouts here in Cape Cod.. they weren't ideal, but I did manage a few good lifts since I last posted...

On my chest day I did dumbbell presses as follows:

80's x 8, 100's x 8, 110's x 8, 130's x 7, 140's x 6

I was happy. These hurt, but they were the biggest dumbbells they had in the gym. Balance was almost an issue. But then it wasn't.

The rest of that day was unimpressive, as was my leg day (given I didn't trust the squat rack there, so didn't use it). I did max out all the hammer strength back machines, though, and my hanging leg raises were good. :)?

Nothing else of note, really. Diet's been meh, sleep's been meh.

And my girl tore it up at the falmouth road race... even though she's been basically injured and unable to train for the last month, she hit 52 minutes for the 7 mile course, coming in the mid 100's (I think) out of 3200 women. (8100 people were at the race total). I talked my way onto the course at the finish line, so it was just me and the media people watching everyone come in. It was damn cool.

She was also the only amputee I saw cross. Ergo, she was the first. Not too shabby.

And that was my few days. Tomorrow... airport!

Beast
08-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Congrats to the gf.

Man, I can't believe you maxed out the plates on the HS machines. I've never seen anyone do that, and I live in TEXAS.

Oh and life does NOT end after the MCAT... You have to go to interviews, THEN it's all over. :thumbup:

Focused70
08-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Your gf rocks, Alex, but then I'm sure you know that as well.

Life goes into a suspended animation after med school (it's called "residency"). Once you become a practicing doc, that's when it truly ends. :D

Stash

Alex.V
08-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Yes yes, still here, still alive. Was in cape cod for a while... the gym up there... terrible (as before), so lifting's been shoddy as I gamely tried to keep some semblance of a routine. Didn't work so well, bagged a bunch of workouts, but now I'm back. Thursday will be my first regular workout back on schedule.

Just in time for work on the 7th.

_-_v_-_
08-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Congrats on the job, man.

Good to hear you got it; hope it works out.

Alex.V
08-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks dude.

So thursday's workout was ok...

No prefacing, I'm too tired and still too hung over, and pissed about the damage to my car (they caught the bitch, she's paying... close to a grand of damage)

Deadlifts!

135 x 5, 225 x 4, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 495 x 1, 650 x 1, 650 x ha

Yeah, so, not outstanding. Felt pretty weak on 5 plates, was pleased I had more in me.

Back extensions (with curl bar to chest):

25 x 10, 95 x 8, 115 x 8, 155 x 8, 155 x 8

Ouch. Felt good, though. In a sick sorta way.

Overhead DB presses:

75's x 10, 95's x 8, 100's x 7, 110's x 6

Hard getting these up with no spotter.

Lateral raises, bent-over laterals, and horizontal pull ups (2 sets of 16), called it a day.

Diet- hahahahahah. what diet.

Sleep- not bad. 7-8 hours a night, except on class day.

And I should really be consistent about all this for the next week, because then work starts. agh.

MixmasterNash
08-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Have you beaten up any freshman and stolen their iPods yet?

Focused70
08-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Nice session Belial.

Anything else? Your fan club is empty.

Stash

_-_v_-_
09-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Hey b, is there going to be a time during the next few days when I could talk to you briefly? I just want to get something over with, if that makes any sense at all. Would greatly appreciate it.

I don't know whether email would work or not, given your schedule; just let me know what to do. Anyway, thanks man. Hope everything is going well vis a vis getting ready for the job -- something tells me you've got a lot of stress to be preparing for...

Alex.V
09-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Yeah, stash, I've been sucking it up on workouts lately.... It's not really lack of motivation, it's just lack of direction/focus. I did hit 655 for a fairly easy deadlift on thursday, but today even 375 on the bench seemed difficult. I can't explain the ups and downs, but I do need some re-evaluation, I think. Things are decent other than that, but I guess I don't feel up to posting workouts with the same damn lousy weights over and over again. Though I did manage a few sets of weighted dips today for the first time in ages, finishing up with 3 plates for 2 sets of 8, which ain't bad given how long it's been since I've done 'em.

I need to work out a diet. And work starts on tuesday. Yikes.

_-_v_-_
09-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Dude, you have NO right to complain about pathetic weights :)

<-------------------- Is weaker than an anemic girl scout with an IV drip of straight codeine.

How's it feel to be a near-EMT, btw?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Christ on a bicycle, this thing is still alive...

You must be a monster by now, Alex!

ectx
09-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Y.... It's not really lack of motivation, it's just lack of direction/focus. I did hit 655 for a fairly easy deadlift on thursday, but today even 375 on the bench seemed difficult.

Pfft. If 375 seemed difficult, that's because it is. I defy you to show me a person who's ripped their shoulder to shreds (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but I know you've seriously messed it up) and can still bench 375. It may not be at your all-time high, but regardless, you've come a long way, now stop being a maricon about it.

and good luck on the new job. :p

Leprechaun
09-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Good luck on the new job Alex...don't sweat the workouts man, sometimes real life gets in the way, but you're still moving the big iron, so it's all good.

Alex.V
09-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Chigs, I wish I were. Basically, it's been too hard to eat to maintain anything above 235-ish. It became pretty much all-encompassing, and when my dedication slacked, I lost weight bigtime. It's been tough, but I'm basically refocusing, trying to get as strong as I can at this weight, as well as getting leaner. it's working, albeit slowly. Haven't been able to afford the supps I could use (cough cough), so being natty is making it even harder. But still, overall it ain't been too bad.

rene- y'know, bitching about weights is my thing, it's who I am, deal wit' it. :D

I know I haven't been around much, the girl's been eating up time, and ironically the more free time I have, the less I do with it. that even includes sitting at the computer. Once work starts, though, I'll be a bit more disciplined. I think. But thank ya.

And thanks for the encouragement, leprechaun. :)

So I did do legs yesterday, which was actually a tough workout, given I threw some running in as well.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 3, 495 x 2, 515 x 2, 405 x 3

I was hurting so bad after the 515 that I called it quits on 405 before I failed. I need more stretching; I just ached.

Leg press/lunges superset:

22 plates x 8/75's x 8
22 plates x 8/110's x 7
22 plates x 7/fall down

Actually not really fall down, but I went over to the dumbells to do more lunges, and had to sit down. Rapidly. And catch my breath. I was going to do 'em anyway, but my left hamstring cramped up when I sat, so I kinda writhed around for a bit (which scared everyone around me), then got up, got some water, and did calves.

Then left and went to the track.

Did 2 400's at a decent pace, a few 100's, not pushing too hard (mostly to loosen up), then got some food.

Work starts tomorrow... oh joy of joys. but every buck I earn is going towards a new car. which is good. and now the girl needs the comp. I'm off.

chris mason
09-06-2004, 06:21 PM
What is the new job?

If you need a deal on some powder just PM me Alex. I'll work something out for you.

Anthony
09-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Like pup said, we all have ups and downs. I just wish my down time included a 515 squat, 375 bench press, and 650 deadlift!

And good luck with the new job! (http://www.dodge.com/nav/photo/neon_sxt_2_main.jpg) ;)

rookiebldr
09-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Haven't been able to afford the supps I could use (cough cough), so being natty is making it even harder.

If you need a deal on some powder just PM me Alex. I'll work something out for you.

:eek:

Alex.V
09-19-2004, 10:55 AM
Well THIS sh*t's getting dusty...

It's been a crazy week and a half... orientation for the job is sucking up the entire day (8 to 6), and when I get back it's barely enough for me to get in a half assed workout, then pass out. So lifting's been maintenance, basically.

Chris, I'm working with the local EMS unit here as an EMT-Intermediate. Yep, IV's, intubation, all that good stuff. Money should start coming in pretty soon, so I'l be able to order stuff again. (Most of what's come in has been for friends). I really do appreciate the offer, though.... also, I'm trying to get my girl to try ETS. I'll keep ya updated if she does take some.... it'd be good publicity, and I'll try to get her to write a testimonial if she does.

Anthony- I wish it could consist of just not going DOWN in lifts. :(

Alex.V
09-25-2004, 03:42 PM
And thank the f*cking lord, I'm almost done with orientation. One more day (monday), then it's on to actual work. Workouts have been decent this week... hit 375 for a double on close grip bench tuesday, brought my horizontal pullup PR to 23 in a row, hit an easy 640 on a deadlift day when I was otherwise feeling like crap, and also realized today that there isn't anybody who comes close to my leanness, and a handful who match my size in the gym. And I live on Burger King. Go me.

The girl's outta town until tomorrow night, so I guess it's playtime.

Next week I start back with regularly scheduled workouts and more regular time here on the board. It'll be so nice to be done with that 8 to 6 crap. SO nice.

ectx
09-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Holy sacred cow. You're alive. Glad to hear a more settled schedule awaits. A word of warning...regular scheduled work seems like it'll free up more spare time....there's never enough spare time. It's like some universal axiom, and it's freakin' annoying. Best of luck with it all, and your strength still annoys me. adios pretty boy.

Beast
09-25-2004, 09:13 PM
And thank the f*cking lord, I'm almost done with orientation. One more day (monday), then it's on to actual work. Workouts have been decent this week... hit 375 for a double on close grip bench tuesday, brought my horizontal pullup PR to 23 in a row, hit an easy 640 on a deadlift day when I was otherwise feeling like crap, and also realized today that there isn't anybody who comes close to my leanness, and a handful who match my size in the gym. And I live on Burger King. Go me.
Share you secrets, please.

And if you just say "EQ" I will be very disappointed.

Alex.V
09-26-2004, 01:45 PM
rene... I HAVE regularly scheduled work, it's just all day. The schedule that I'll be running with EMS has quite a few days completely off, more than a regular job (though the shifts are 12 hours), so I'll be more than able to get in my workouts.

I hope.

Beast- what secrets? The secret to lack of progress? :)

I mean, I hate to sound lame, but I really have no clue. It could be workout intensity; intuitive training (do whatever rep and weight progression I feel up for); low volume, or any combination thereof. I AM stagnant, though... I do need more focus if I'm going to take anything to the next level.

The LACK of EQ probably isn't helping the progress either, given that that stuff helped me get here. That was a while back... seems like eons ago. :(

But, um, if you want more details, I guess I could give them. Just wouldn't know where to start.

Today was legs, though, which was fun! Stayed light, my left hamstring is still pretty badly tweaked.

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 6, 405 x 6, 405 x 5, 315 x 10

These were pretty high-rep for me... it's nice to know I can hammer out a decent number, I usually keep even 405 in the single-double range to save energy for the 500+ lift.

Leg press:

22 plates x 8, 20 plates x 10, 20 plates x 8, 20 plates x 8

That was about it, I knew I had less fun stuff coming.

Calf raises:

Stack x 20, stack x 15

And then!

Track:

800 x 1, warm up
400 x 2, moderate pace
200 x 2, run
100 x 1, sprint (too painful to do more)
300 x 1, stretch out
400 x 1, cool down

No idea on times, I knew if I started timing myself I'd end up pushing it, and aggravating my leg.

And that was about it... I'm about to get more food in me, then pick up my girl at the airport. :D

galileo
09-26-2004, 03:32 PM
The LACK of EQ probably isn't helping the progress either

:windup:

Focused70
09-26-2004, 04:30 PM
Alex is teh shizbomb and all knowing. That is all.

Stash

Alex.V
09-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Alex is teh shizbomb and all knowing. That is all.

Stash

Thank you sir. Someday this will go in my sig, when I am feeling more cocky and less weak.

I did a little bench and back today... I'm back to close grip for at least another week until the shoulder feels good again... it's still a little tight.

CGBP:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 5, 315 x 3, 345 x 1, 380 x 1, 315 x 7

Not too bad... wish I'd gotten a double, but 380 was slow enough. Eh, decent for close grip.

Bi-angular row:

10 plates x 8, 10 plates x 8, 8 plates x 12

Horizontal pull-ups:

18, 14

Back day is not the best day to do these... I was wiped. So I did some hanging leg raises afterwards just to finish off, not sure how many. A bunch.

Barbell curls:

105 x 8, 115 x 6, 135 x 7

These are weak. And they hurt my forearms. Yes, my biceps are quite pathetic. Be quiet.

Two sets of concentration curls with 50's to finish off (8 reps), and got out of there.

I look leaner and bigger than a few weeks ago. This is good.

That's it, kids.

Diet- hahahaha

Sleep- not enough.

_-_v_-_
09-28-2004, 05:12 PM
Nice, man.

How goes the EMT job? THoughts?

SalahG
09-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Nice job on the Close grips Belial.

BigNic
09-28-2004, 06:28 PM
dang man insane cg's. Nice work

Alex.V
09-29-2004, 11:36 AM
V, I'll let you know when orientation's done and I'm actually out on shifts.

Salah, bignic, thanks guys, but that was still off my max. :( I want consistency, but that seems to elude me.

ElPietro
09-29-2004, 11:37 AM
usux

Alex.V
09-30-2004, 04:38 PM
usux more.

I did a kinda lackluster deadlift workout. lackluster because I f-in ran out of chalk. Deadlifting without chalk sucks. it really does. SUCKS.

But I did some fun stuff anyway.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 515 x 3 x 3, 515 x 1 x 3

Yeah, I guess I just kept lifting 515. I guess the weight felt good. Plus, that's as heavy as I can grab with sweaty hands and no knurling whatsoever.

dammit.

Standing military presses:

135 x 8, 185 x 6, 225 x 4

Sucked. Shoulder hurt bigtime.

Laterals and bent-over laterals with the 60's.

Then, 24 horiz. pullups, a new PR.

Followed by windshield wipers. (Thanks to will for those... I can finally do 'em! 10 times to each side, 3 sets).

Then I did some calves and left.

First day of actual shifts tomorrow. I'm kinda nervous. And that's an understatement.

Hatred
09-30-2004, 04:58 PM
oops ..sorry ...didn't mean to stumble into the KRYPTON FORUM ..my bad..

Beast
09-30-2004, 05:58 PM
You'll do fine at the shifts.

How much do you weigh now?

Jane
10-02-2004, 08:16 PM
boo!

Look around, the grass is high
The fields are ripe, itís the springtime of your life

Ahhh, seasons change with the scenery
Weaving time in a tapestry
Wonít you stop and remember me
At any convenient time
Funny how my memory slips while looking over manuscripts
Of unpublished rhyme
Drinking my vodka and lime

But look around, leaves are brown now
And the sky is a hazy shade of winter

Look around, leaves are brown
Thereís a patch of snow on the ground...

BIG C
10-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Great workout!

Pushin some heavy weights!! :thumbup:

_-_v_-_
10-02-2004, 08:25 PM
"Vertebral voices chimed the path
The boots of baby faces took
Down steep, golgothic aftermath
To calcinated Chesterbrook.

The shadowed avenues of bone --
The alleys lithe with yellow eyes --
Kept company the heaps of stone
Where walls had de-coossified.

He stepped a soft skin-serenade,
As stiched-fixed lips kissed macadam
And all the tumbled balustrades
Bethought him humbled Adoram."

cphafner
10-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Followed by windshield wipers. (Thanks to will for those... I can finally do 'em! 10 times to each side, 3 sets).

these are tough, i've never been able to do single rep. Deads look strong to me.

Coke
10-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Good luck with everything!! ...I don't know whosuxmore, you or ElP - :D

ElPietro
10-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Wow, look at all the poetry! Lemme try!

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
STFU!

:cool::cool:

Alex.V
10-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Y'know, I did feel almost guilty writing a post here; seems so coarse next to the poetry. Of course, pete did a fantastic job of finding the lowest common denominator, which makes my workouts seem positively sublime by comparison.

They're sublime anyway. But that's just because it's me.

Nevermore: Superman was just another wuss on Krypton. You're saying I'm a wuss. :cry:

Beast- about 235-ish? Not sure, haven't weighed myself in ages.

V- That's not Simon & Garfunkel!

Jane- I haven't heard much from ya in ages. Does this mean you no longer detest technology? Or me?

Big C- thank ya bro.

cphafner- the hanging leg raises and horizontal pullups have helped out a LOT. I think that's the only reason I can do 'em now.

CoCoa- he does. Right peter

Roses are red
violets are blue
pete is gay
and so is pete

I am brilliant.

Anyway! Did a quick chest workout after 3 12 hour day shifts... yes, they're exhausting. So I wasn't up for anything crazy, just hammered out what I could.

CGBP:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 12, 275 x 3 x 3 x 3, 225 x 15

Yeah, I suppose it was speed day? But they weren't all that fast. 275 x 12 was decent, though, given how tired I was.

Tricep pushdowns:

250 x 10, 250 x 12

Then 28 bodyweight dips before I got bored.

Crossovers with 130 pounds per side, 2 sets of 10

Front raises with the 55's, 3 sets of 8

Windshield wipers, no idea how many. Probably 10-12 times to each side, two sets.

Then I left, and ate a lot. That was the best part of my day.

So work's going well; it's a slow start, they're easing me in gentle, which is good. Driving the truck code 3 is a ****in trip, though, I love it. No interesting calls, though, which is a little depressing. I got 3 nights coming up, starting tomorrow, so that should be a little cooler.

And that's it. I need a nap.

_-_v_-_
10-04-2004, 10:53 AM
Nope.

Not Simon and Garfunkel at all :) But then, neither's college. Or work, for that matter :)

Good luck with the shifts, man. Don't kill anyone.

BIG C
10-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Great job on those close grips! :thumbup:

Yeah 12 hour days will wipe you out fast. We tried them out for a while at my job. I liked them <working for 12 hour sucked, but the time off was worth it>, but the old timers didn't, so we are back on 8's.

Alex.V
10-05-2004, 03:40 PM
I hope I don't kill anybody. They might take that out of my pay. ;)

Big C- thanks man. Yeah, 12 hours are tough, but we can sleep during the night shifts. And the full week off every month... also very nice.

Did some legs yesterday (yes, always a day behind)

It was decent, but not wonderful.

Squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 4, 525 x 2, 405 x 4, 315 x 10

The first 525 was a little shallow, so I'm tempted not to count it. Still, given the lack of sleep and recovery I've been having, I'm not entirely displeased.

Leg press:

22 plates x 10, 22 plates x 10, 22 plates x 8

Meh.. nothing spectacular here, either, just burning out with some comparatively deep reps.

Calf raises on the sled, then on the machine (4 sets total), then went outside for some running. Did an 800, a 400, then some 200's and 100's for fun. Hamstrings are still so damn tight, though. I need to leave more in the tank after working legs so that I'm not so exhausted here.

Diet's been good, sleep's been ok, and I think I need a vacation already.

BIG C
10-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Big C- thanks man. Yeah, 12 hours are tough, but we can sleep during the night shifts. And the full week off every month... also very nice.

Yeah sounds like the same rotation we had with the 12's. A week off a month is like a little vacation every month. We could always sneak a nap too LOL!

Awesome job on the squats

Alex.V
10-06-2004, 08:26 AM
It's a little vacation, but much needed. night shifts are hell, really. Especially when your legs are still obscenely sore.

JustinF
10-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Christ. You could run, much less walk after that? :eek: Nice work man!

Alex.V
10-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Yeah, and I didn't learn my lesson.

So on monday (I think) I did back and chest, and yesterday did some deadlifts... and ran afterwards. Big mistake. I haven't been hydrating well enough at work, and paid for it in excruciating hamstring cramps in both sides all night, starting around dinnertime. The kind where both legs were tight even after the active cramp stopped, and re-cramped if I moved. Yeah.

Anyway, on my backn'chest day I hit 380 on close grip bench, did some bi-angular rows (3 sets of 8 with 10 plates), horizontal pullups (25 in a row, new PR), barbell curls, and other ab stuff. Yesterday I pulled 645 then 650, but was in too much pain to do shoulder presses. Did some back extensions with 185 pulled to my chest on the last set (7 reps), and ran a 400, 300, then a decent 200. But I was in pain; lots of it.

So today I'm taking off, then going to do an easy upper body day tomorrow.

That's about it, lately. Night shifts are killer.

BIG C
10-09-2004, 12:25 PM
380 close grip! That is awesome Bro!!

BigNic
10-09-2004, 02:57 PM
whats your routine like right now? Upper, lower, and deads?

JustinF
10-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Whew, 380 is insane. What is your regular gip bench at?

ectx
10-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Hamstring cramps suck.

ps. you suck too. and yes, I mean that in a completely jealous of your strength kind of way. Jerk.

Alex.V
10-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Big C- thank ya sir. It's still 25 off my close grip PR, though.

BigNic-

1)Maximal effort chest/back
2)off
3)Deadlifts/shoulders/run
4)off
5)Dynamic chest
6)Squats/run
7)off

That's pretty much the split... I don't bother writing in days anymore because my schedule's been so screwed up. :)

Justin- Best ever is 435. Right now I'm avoiding it for a while until my shoulder recovers. I tend to tweak it regularly at this point. :(

rene- I love you too. :whip: Not-so-pretty boy.

So, uh, dynamic chest day had the following highlights, if they can be called that:

CGBP: 315 x 6, 275 x 10, 275 x 8, 275 x 3 x 3 x 3

These were decently fast, only the last rep or two of the "heavy" sets were difficult.

Dips: 41. Then I got bored and got down.

Lots of ab work.

Today, did some legs.

Squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 5, 405 x 3, 530 x 1, 530 x 1 (better), 315 x 6

Hamstring got VERY sore, still a little tight from that cramping on friday.

Leg press:

20 plates x 12, 10, 10

Whee. Calf raises on the same, then left. I was way too exhausted to do much more.

And that's about it. 3 days of work, then my 8 day mini vacation!

_-_v_-_
10-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Good luck with work, man.

Btw, with my current insomnia/sleep issues (thank god for Ambien), I'm typically in bed by 9:30 pacific -- if I stay up much later, my early-onset awakening problem ****s me up even worse (wake up at 4:00 and doze fitfully until 5:45, at which time I just say "**** it" and get up; and it's not that I'm getting enough sleep, because I'm utterly exhausted...). So don't call after that :)

And thanks, man. I appreciate it. A lot.

Alex.V
10-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Ok dude, I will return your call. I don't need a reminder via PM/IM/WBB to do so. :)

_-_v_-_
10-12-2004, 08:27 PM
LMAO.

Dude, I swear to GOD, I wasn't attempting to remind you. I swear, I just didn't want my sleep to be even more ****ed over than it already is. Honest.

JustinF
10-13-2004, 05:52 AM
Nice session man. Doing so many dips that you quit of boredom is hardcore. lol

Alex.V
10-15-2004, 02:45 PM
LMAO.

Dude, I swear to GOD, I wasn't attempting to remind you. I swear, I just didn't want my sleep to be even more ****ed over than it already is. Honest.

lol. I know man, I'm just playin. I feel human today for the first time in weeks. I'm catching up on calls, you're on the list. Sorry I seem so flaky about it, I'm just...well... exhausted and mentally non-functional barely scratches the surface.

Justin- and stupid. I need to get my damn belt back. ;)

So wednesday I did some heavy-ish bench and back. Only highlights being nearly hitting 390 on close grips for a double. Got it for an easy first rep, but the second was too slow, and the spotter grabbed it. Did some bi-angular rows with 10 plates + 2 25's (3 sets of 10,10,9), a set of 12 with 8 plates... some other random crap including some barbell curls with 155.

And today I did some deadlifts:

135 x 5, 225 x 6, 315 x 5, 405 x 4, 495 x 3, 585 x 2, 495 x 6

Bleh. Sore. Given that I'm the strongest guy at work, I'm doing ALL the stretcher lifting and most of the moving, so my lower back's been getting worked. Especially with that 450 pound woman. urg.

DB shoulder presses:

75's x 10, 95's x 10, 110's x 7

Eh, shoulder holding out.

Lateral raises and bent-over laterals with the 60's, some calf raises, a hell of a lot of ab work, and about a mile's worth of sprints down at the track.

I'm exhausted, and need food.

That's about it, kids.

Focused70
10-15-2004, 03:51 PM
450 lb. woman? erm, ok...

holy mother of fook @ the deadlifts. lol.

Stash

Hatred
10-15-2004, 04:20 PM
jeez...450lbs....

Zearoth
10-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Omg... Craziest shoulder pressing and deadlifing I've ever seen. Amazing.

Nito
10-15-2004, 05:30 PM
And wow nice benching too! your a beast!

_-_v_-_
10-15-2004, 07:31 PM
lol. I know man, I'm just playin. I feel human today for the first time in weeks. I'm catching up on calls, you're on the list. Sorry I seem so flaky about it, I'm just...well... exhausted and mentally non-functional barely scratches the surface.

Believe me, man -- I so know that feeling. I've been, well, a bit of a wreck lately myself :) It's cool.

BIG C
10-16-2004, 12:36 AM
Great job on the deads and close grips!

Alex.V
10-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Zearoth, Nito, Big C, thank you guys I just wish I could hit my PRs, or even close enough to them, day after day. It's not impressive when lifts stay the same, no matter how good they may seem. :(

And yeah, Stash, that was a large woman. She was not small. The fungal infections in her skin folds proved that.

ahem. Moving right along.

My last two workouts were more along the lines of speed stuff. Worked out with a medic from my shift on saturday, had her doing some deadlifts and the like (yeah, she was damn sore), while I did my chest workout. Which was marginal, but I did hit 315 for 8 on close grips for two sets. Well, 7.5 on the second. The rest of the workout consisted of crossovers, flyes with the 75's, and dips/pushdowns. Dips were 3 sets of 20. And I didn't feel a damn thing. I need my belt back!

Today kinda sucked.. took my car in for service, but left my gym bag in the back. No headphones, no chalk, no belt, nada. So I did some higher rep stuff.

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 10, 345 x 12, 345 x 12, 345 x 10

Ouch. That was a lot of reps for me. Sans equipment and music.

Good depth on every rep, too.

Leg press:

22 plates x 10, 22 plates x 10

Did some calf raises, then went down and ran some 400's and 200's. One of my 200's was in the mid 22 second range... not terrible for someone with as little endurance as I. (And no training in the sport) But I was still depressed. The cramping afterwards didn't help either.

So I went home. Now I'm drinking gatorade and hating my legs.

But that's about it

piece, kids.

_-_v_-_
10-18-2004, 07:09 PM
And yeah, Stash, that was a large woman. She was not small. The fungal infections in her skin folds proved that.

I was eating when I read that.

Thanks, B. Just what I needed: even [i]less[/] of an appetite!

:)

Alex.V
10-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Imagine how I felt.

It's not just lack of time that's keeping my calories low while I work.

_-_v_-_
10-18-2004, 10:09 PM
The same thing could be said for me vis a vis work/calories.

Except my work does not entail gratuitous and morbid obesity, unspeakably grievous injury, or gross human tragedy.

Just midterms and finals, that's all. Midterms and finals :)

btw: labs are back, as are mcats. the first: suck. the last: don't! :)

Alex.V
10-19-2004, 06:10 AM
So you've mentioned. Once or twice. ;)

JustinF
10-19-2004, 06:11 AM

Wow! That's ****ing gross.

Anyway, strong session man!

_-_v_-_
10-19-2004, 07:05 AM
So you've mentioned. Once or twice.

Dude, they're the ****ing MCATS! My whole future, writ in bubbles, scribbled on scantron! Were you in my position, you'd mention them once or twice too :)

Alex.V
10-19-2004, 08:45 AM
Justin- yes, yes it was. Gross, I mean. And thanks. :)

Luke- amazing how a goddamn test can be your future. Sadly, our futures always tend to run through one little bottleneck after another. ;) Congratulations, man. I know it's huge for you. Except now y'all got me all nervous thinking about them. lol

_-_v_-_
10-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Dude, don't be nervous. They are SO overrated.

I honestly found it to seem like a shorter test than the SAT, even though, objectively, it is lengthier. It is structured and spaced quite well, though -- the time constraints never seem unreasonable.

That said, the material can be brutal; and the very nature of the test itself -- i.e., its putative one-to-one correlation with one's future -- tends to promote obsession and self-abnegation. At least for me it did, at any rate.

How you enjoying the long work break, btw? Lucky bastard :) I wish I could take a break.

EDIT:

Alex, I'm about to do something that will almost certainly piss you off :) -- but then, what else is new, lol. Me = idiot. Always remember that. Please bear with me. Just this once.

Anyway, what I was going to say -- what I'm currently avoiding saying, apparently; what I'm attempting to defer via circumlocution and expostulation -- is that I was wondering if I could ask you something. Specifically, I'm going to be in class all day tomorrow, including in the evening; and on Thursday I'll be similarly busy (will be seeing a movie in the evening with a girl -- now THAT'S shocker, I know :). ) And as I'll be busy as hell tomorrow and the next day, and as the last thing I want to do is bother you on a Friday/weekend, I was wondering if it'd be alright if I tried getting a hold of you tonight for five minutes, no more. Just wanted to get your opinions and get this **** over with.

If you're gonna be busy, that's totally cool. As I said, was just being an idiot.

Thanks again man. And bear with me. Or just tell me to STFU. That works too.

Alex.V
10-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Luke, that's just it. It's their impact, not the tests themselves, that make them tough. The SAT was absurdly easy, but it's still important. That alone makes it worth getting a little nervous about.

So today I did chest and back. It sucked, but there were hot girls in the gym. Well, two of them. That I spoke to.

CGBP:

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 315 x 4, 355 x 1, 395 x 1-ish. My spotter got his fingers under it, but shouldn't have. I forgot to tell him how slow it would likely be. The bastard.

Bi-angular row:

10 plates + 20 x 8, 8 plates x 12, 8 plates x 9

Not too bad.

Barbell curls, 3 sets of 6 with 135 (weak), concentration curls with the 55's, and skipped the pull-ups due to my 25 rep PR on horizontal pull-ups a few days back.

I'm tired. And my joints are a little sore.

That's about it. Diet's been good, but I'm exhausted all the time for some reason. Sleep's been broken. I get to do nothing tomorrow!

And I'm nearing 100,000 views on this journal. That's frightening.

_-_v_-_
10-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Luke, that's just it. It's their impact, not the tests themselves, that make them tough.

Solution: Ignore the impact. Focus on other things, like, oh, not eating all day because you are simply too stressed :). That tends to obviate any concerns about ones future -- it's hard to worry about next year when you're focused on your next meal :).

The SAT was absurdly easy, but it's still important. . Wasn't it, though? My SAT experience: get food poisoning Wednesday night; throw up all night and all Thursday, getting no sleep at all in the process; try to catch up on sleep on friday; take test Saturday. Don't recommend that.

That's about it. Diet's been good, but I'm exhausted all the time for some reason. Sleep's been broken. I get to do nothing tomorrow!

lol. Exhausted? You too? Actually, my schedule isn't so bad tomorrow (one of my classes = cancelled) -- I'll try getting a hold of you then if tonight doesn't work out. Any times good/not so good?

BIG C
10-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Strong Close Grips Bro!

MixmasterNash
10-20-2004, 12:54 AM
Wasn't it, though? My SAT experience: get food poisoning Wednesday night; throw up all night and all Thursday, getting no sleep at all in the process; try to catch up on sleep on friday; take test Saturday. Don't recommend that.

I love me them standardized tests.

I took my GRE in a city I had never been to, where they spoke a language I didn't (Scottish), while dealing with mono and hangover.

My verbal based GRE was on a computer. My computer GRE was with paper and pencil.

I applied to 11 grad schools. I went to the one that didn't require the subject GRE.

F*ck ETS. Are the MCAT ******s as bad?

Alex.V
10-20-2004, 11:33 AM
They're all bad. Standardized tests are the tools of satan.

_-_v_-_
10-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Satan's scantron.

That should be a bad punk rock band name.

Alex.V
10-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Kind of a nerdy punk rock band, really.

Emo, perhaps. Satanic emo.

So, uh, this **** gets buried real fast, even if I have been working out. I just don't post it. heh. oops.

But my deadlift workout was nothing special. As a surprise to me, I gripped wrong on my heavy-ish set, and as a result it slipped. Tried to reset, but there was no way in hell it was happening. The rest of that workout was nothing special... lateral raises with 60's, db shoulder presses with 110's for around 8, and some ab stuff.

Today was a little better, did some speed work on bench:

CGBP:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 5, 275 x 8, 275 x 5 x 5 x 4 x 4 (30-40 seconds break between)

Not too terrible; right elbow a little wonky (that's not a real word), but otherwise decently strong.

Crossovers, one handed pushdowns with 160, then some two handed pushdowns, followed by 40 dips (again, got bored), ab work (hanging leg raises; paused), and front raises with the 60's.

Stretched out a LOT, then left.

Getting more and more comments on how much leaner/bigger I look. Something must be going right, waist is smaller than ever and shoulders/back/legs/abs look more defined than they did even a month ago.

And that's about it... I need some serious rest. 3 more night shifts, then another week off.

Now for some PF Chang's!

PowerManDL
10-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Have I bothered you about getting some bands lately? I should.

ectx
10-23-2004, 05:24 PM
...Now for some PF Chang's!

mmm...I want PF Chang's now. jerk.

Alex.V
10-25-2004, 06:01 AM
Lil'powerbuddymatt- yes, you should.

the other guy- Ha! You can't have any!

I did legs yesterday.

It was fun. Until I hurt myself.

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 315 x 5, 405 x 5, 515 x 3, 405 x 4, 405 x 5

515 x 3 could be a PR. It also might not be. Who knows.

Leg extensions, calf raises, lots of stretches, then went down to the track.

Ran 2 400's to warm up (these were amazingly easy, given I used to be out of breath after even one).

Then ran 2 100's at 90% or so, and 4 40's. Went out for another 100 at 100%... managed around 11 seconds, but that's including pulling my hamstring after 40 yards or so. It just felt really loose, then really tight. When I stopped running, the pain started. And it hurt all night.

No idea if it'll be in any better shape later this week. It's a bit stiff this morning, but I haven't demanded anything of it yet.

Ouch.

And I got 5 hours of sleep during my night shift last night. It was very civilized. We watched some football, then some baseball, then ran one call, got back by 10:30, had some cake, and then I went to bed. It was a good night.

_-_v_-_
10-25-2004, 09:23 AM
You get more sleep during a freaking NIGHT SHIFT than I EVER do -- and I don't even HAVE a night shift!

****** insomnia. ****** early-onset awakening.

BigNic
10-25-2004, 09:36 AM
sorry for sounding stupid but what exactly is your job?

_-_v_-_
10-25-2004, 10:12 AM
Me? None.

Well, unless you call being a student a job.

Alex.V
10-25-2004, 10:24 AM
I'm an EMT for Durham. I stick IVs in people, patch up gunshot wounds, and provide the nation's most expensive taxi service to the hospital.

BigNic
10-25-2004, 11:09 AM
ohh ok. Thats what i thought. Im going into the navy as a hospital corpsman and im interested in different medical careers i could get into when im discharged. I know i can get my emt certification while im in.

JustinF
10-27-2004, 03:22 PM
How do you like the EMT thing? I was contemplating doing that up here. How's the pay down in NC for that, I would like to move down there in the next couple of years and figure if it's decent I could do that while finishing school down there instead of finishing here first.

Relentless
10-27-2004, 03:39 PM
nice sprints

(and nice squats!! damn nice squats)

try the alternating hot-and-cold shower trick to help with the pulled hammy... that usually works for me!

_-_v_-_
10-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Hammies are teh 3v1l.

I hurt mine a year and a half ago and it took six months before it finally felt better.

_-_v_-_
11-06-2004, 02:16 PM
You know, typically, it's not the EMTs who die :)

Hope things are going well, man.

Alex.V
11-07-2004, 02:26 PM
lol. Yeah, between working nights and being gone for a week, I haven't been the most consistent with workouts. Last weekend was my girl's half ironman triathlon. She was the only female amputee doing the entire thing (as opposed to being on a relay team), and the 6th amputee out of all the athletes. (~250 individuals, ~100 teams of 3). She did awesome. i.e., she finished somewhere in the mid 6 hour range and did much better than I could. Ever. And it was her first half. The previous tri, two months ago? An olympic tri. And that was her first of that distance. So she's made some progress. yeah, I'm proud.

Anyway, so workouts have been off. I smacked my knee really, really hard the other day (actually, slipped and fell), so I had a lot of bruising under and around the kneecap, so I went light on squats and running today. (We won't even discuss the rest of the week's workouts)

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 315 x 5, 405 x 6, 405 x 4, 405 x 5, 405 x 3, 425 x 3

Yeah, fun stuff, all to very good depth (at least parallel, if not deeper).

And that was pretty much my leg workout, I was limping hardcore because of my knee. So I did some calf raises (stack x 25 for 3 sets), then went out for some track work.

800 x 1
400 x 1
200 x 1
400 x 1
200 x 1

All at about 75% pace for me. That was plenty.

Now I go eat.

And that's about it. Work's ok, but I work with entirely too many rednecks. I can't wait to get off being precepted. ****.

_-_v_-_
11-07-2004, 02:54 PM
ol. Yeah, between working nights and being gone for a week, I haven't been the most consistent with workouts. Last weekend was my girl's half ironman triathlon. She was the only female amputee doing the entire thing (as opposed to being on a relay team), and the 6th amputee out of all the athletes. (~250 individuals, ~100 teams of 3). She did awesome. i.e., she finished somewhere in the mid 6 hour range and did much better than I could. Ever. And it was her first half. The previous tri, two months ago? An olympic tri. And that was her first of that distance. So she's made some progress. yeah, I'm proud.

Holy ****. I feel so lazy and feckless right now. lol.

By the way, man, hate to bother ya -- just wondering if you're gonna have any spare time in the next week or so? Just was wondering when would be a cool time to try to hit up your cell, is all. No hurry; nothing urgent.

Anyway, kickass workout. Enjoy.

Scott S
11-07-2004, 03:33 PM

Haven't been around for a while, but yeah, that's horrid. :eek:

At least when you're weak, nobody looks to you to pick up heavy people/things, right? ;)

Grats to your g/f too. :thumbup:

I think I've hit my smiley limit.

SW
11-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Dude you're one strong mofo, and that's an understatement. I'm guessing you're something of an emt? Sounds interesting...you know....all those 450lb women you meet ;)

ectx
11-07-2004, 08:21 PM
stop pretending like you're saving lives or something. We all know what you're really up to...

NO GOOD!

and Scott...Alex and I set the acceptable heterosexual smiley limit at 3 in the treaty of 2002...so you're right at your limit. lol.

JustinF
11-09-2004, 02:57 AM
NIce work man. Congrats to your girl. That's awesome.

Alex.V
11-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Dude you're one strong mofo, and that's an understatement. I'm guessing you're something of an emt? Sounds interesting...you know....all those 450lb women you meet ;)

Yessir, EMT-I with Durham county... for the time being.

We meet ALL the hot chicks....

Still a huge lack of updates. Mostly this is because of a lack of strength. I need to stop being overtired and sick.

And mostly need to stop making excuses. Still just maintaining, really.

Squatted 440 for 5, 5, 5, 5 on sunday... nice, deep squats with no equipment and great form... my knee's still banged up, but recuperating. Went out and did some serious running afterwards, too. Well, serious for me. Only a little over a mile all told, but when it comes in the form of one 200 after another... it's kinda rough. (followed by a 500 cooldown.... at pace)

And today I hit nothing of consequence. 385 close grip, some rows, some pullups, barbell curls with 115 (3 sets of 8), (after my back workout.. I know, these suck, but whatever) the usual crap.

And I need to eat more. And sleep more.

And get laid more.

Taking care of the latter two now.

Then I went

Stackattack
11-17-2004, 03:49 AM
Believe it or not, I have read this journal all the way through. All 168 pages of it, and i must say, its some inspiring stuff. Your progress for the most part has been insane. You are one strong mofo. good job.

Alex.V
11-29-2004, 08:14 PM
That is incredible. I can't even fathom how much reading that entails, and how much garbage you had to sift through. ;)

I appreciate it, though.

After a week off (which was terrible.... I can't stand taking that long off) I had a good long workout. Nothing exceptional, just seeing where I was.

Squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 8, 315 x 10, 405 x 4, 520 x 2, 405 x 4, 405 x 4, 405 x 4

Whee. Yeah, no, just another long squat workout. 520 was easy, probably should have gone for three. Wanted something left for the running, though.

Leg extensions and calf raises, then db shoulder presses:

75's x 10, 90's x 10, 110's x 7

Left shoulder was hurting, stopped it about there.

Lateral raises and bent-over laterals with 65's, then went out for some runnin'.

800 x 1, no idea of pace. (decently speedy)

Then 3 400's, two at a 60 second pace, one around a 53-55 second pace. Finished off with a few 100's, mostly for form. (and to beat a friend of mine who used to run track)

That was it. I hurt after this. A lot.

So I got in my car and left.

Did I mention I got in my car? I love my car. My new car. I love it lots. I wish I could sleep with it in my room.

It doesn't fit up the stairs, though.

Diet- ha

Sleep- not nearly enough.

Other- I hate work.

That is all.

Isaac Wilkins
11-29-2004, 08:24 PM
The level of your skinniness never ceases to amaze me.

JustinF
11-30-2004, 02:46 AM
Nice work man. Any pics of the new ride?

ectx
11-30-2004, 08:12 AM
I really really really want to make a reference to your neon...but I won't. Congrats on the new car. It's probably all you want to post about and I'm sure driving has gotten just a bit better. I'd make fun of you for talking about nothing but your car...but I've been like that for months with the truck. Congratulations! The new Mustangs are seriously sweet. I didn't think I'd like 'em again, but the new models are just that slick. Oh yeah nice lifting blah blah blah, impressive, blah blah blah. :p

Miss Rezza
12-01-2004, 06:24 AM
Did I mention I got in my car? I love my car. My new car. I love it lots. I wish I could sleep with it in my room.

It doesn't fit up the stairs, though.

After all this time it's good to know you're still an absolute goose!

oh, almost forgot :hump:

Alex.V
12-05-2004, 10:19 PM
I am NOT a goose...

:hump:

ec, I know mang, you got NO right to mock auto-enthusiasm. ;)

Justin- I got some... two are up in the 2005 mustang thread in GC

And my workouts have sucked lately... together with me being mired in studying, I haven't been posting much. Though I did quit work with EMS, which is the best decision I've made in a while.

Note to anybody in Durham... don't call 911 in case of an emergency. It was almost an embarassment working with that organization sometimes.. what a bunch of children. But I won't rant here.

I did squat 525 for a pretty easy triple today. That was nice. And by easy I mean I didn't start spouting blood from any orifices. Also did 4 sets of 4 at 405, along with a mile of track work in total (mostly 400's).

So that's been 'bout it. Better updates to come once this damn exam's over.

_-_v_-_
12-05-2004, 10:21 PM
What's the subject?

I've got a neurobio exam Wed., and a prokaryote genetics exam on Thr.

Just finished an immunology final as well.

Alex.V
12-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Cell biology part II... development and immunology. Thank god it's over, NOT the most interesting subject. And the course was fairly poorly structured.

And my last workout sucked, so I'm kinda not feeling the posting.

Alex.V
12-13-2004, 09:48 PM
And I've actually been lazy... nothing very exciting today, 530 for a double on squats, but felt so dizzy in the gym I was about to pass out. Not good, unsure if I'm sick, or my blood sugar was just too low. urg. More to follow tomorrow.

_-_v_-_
12-13-2004, 09:52 PM
How'd finals go, man?

Barring any unforseen tragedies on mine, I'm done.

Graduated.

Finished.

Caput.

And it still hasn't sunk in in the least :)

Jane
12-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Dude, seriously.

Eat something.

Scott S
12-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Yeah.

And then lift something. This used to be the biggest journal here. What happened to you?? ;)

-TIM-
12-28-2004, 04:04 PM
...Not good, unsure if I'm sick, or my blood sugar was just too low...

Those suck. I had a 2 week string of these attacks at the gym during this past summer. Sometimes you can eat and it still isn't enough. 530 is a hell of a squat though.

Alex.V
12-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Dude, seriously.

Eat something.

Holy sh*t.

Hi Jane.

Scott- Honestly, keeping this thing up has just been a pain in the ass. lol. I mean, look at my first post in here. I DID say I'd be too lazy to update it regularly. I was just tricking everybody for about two years. :)

Tim- No sh*t, they're terrible ain't they? This weak/about to pass out and die feeling that seems to strike the worst when you're supporting large amounts of weight on your back.

I do have a few (erm...high-)lights from the last few days of erratic workouts. Visiting my sister in LA for a week was fun, but my workout there sucked. On the plus side, the manager of the Bally's in santa monica let me in for free, gave me a free protein shake, and asked me if there was anything he should add to the gym to make the facilities more complete. I guess he figured I knew what I was doing. They didn't even give me a hard time for my torn-up shirt.

yesterday, did some squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 5, 315 x 4, 405 x 4, 535 x 2 (!), 405 x 4, 405 x 3

The 535 was not easy, really. At all.

And I pulled my left hamstring a bit during it, which is why my sprint workout after that sucked balls, with a 1000 meter warmup run, then 5 100's that got more and more painful. On the plus side, my stride IS evening out.

Today, did some back, which was nothing out of the ordinary except I hit 31 horizontal pull-ups, to go with my personal record of 50 seconds for static holds on the horizontal leg extension. (done from a pull-up bar, pull halfway up, point toes straight forward, legs completely straight, and maintain that 90 degree angle until you fail)

And that's about it. Still same weight, still looking a little leaner every week.

Sleep- gud.

Diet- bad, but lots of food!

ElPietro
12-29-2004, 12:53 PM
How old is your sister? :angel:

-TIM-
12-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Scott- Honestly, keeping this thing up has just been a pain in the ass. lol. I mean, look at my first post in here. I DID say I'd be too lazy to update it regularly. I was just tricking everybody for about two years. :)
I quit writing in my first journal because of the same reason, big pain in the ass. I write everything down at the gym and then I would come home and log it all over again. Got too boring. I started another one though :rolleyes:. I've been regular on the board and it's fun again, so what the hell, why not :nod:

Focused70
12-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Unlike me where THIS is my logbook.

One of these days I should just write everything down. I'm just lazy though -- typing exercises those finger muscles, plus I type faster than I could ever write. :eek:

Stash

-TIM-
12-29-2004, 03:40 PM
It makes it easy to have everything in front of you at the gym. No guess work. That and I can draw dirty pictures between sets and leave them around the gym :D

Focused70
12-29-2004, 05:28 PM
I write everything down that I did the session before on a piece of paper before I leave the apartment.

the gym is only a block and a half from the apartment, so it's not a problem remembering what I did. I suppose when I turn 40, I shall have to bring a notebook because my gray cells will have begun rotting by that point. :(

kids, don't do what I do. :p

Oooo, erotic graffiti.

Stash

Paul Stagg
12-30-2004, 12:38 PM
How old is your sister? :angel:

For some reason, I found this incredibly funny.

ectx
12-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Relax young alex. I think he only dates geriatric types.

dissipate
01-09-2005, 03:20 AM
beeeliallllllllll where are you?

Focused70
01-10-2005, 09:14 AM
he's been avoiding my IMs. :cry:

(half-kidding. :withstupi)

Stash

ElPietro
01-10-2005, 09:35 AM
He never answered the sister question! :swear:

Wikked1
01-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Where's all the workouts?

ElPietro
01-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Maybe he hasn't had time lately to do any creative writing. :D

Wikked1
01-10-2005, 01:15 PM
LMFAO good one, I think he knows where to find THE MASTER though if he needs lessons on that. :zipit:

Alex.V
01-23-2005, 12:46 PM
lmao.

Yeah, once I realized that I was clearly a second-rate bullsh*tter, I got disheartened and stopped updating.

Pete, she's 26. And die please.

But I have been lifting!

So I'll start with yesterday's workout... I'm taking today (squat day) off because my lower back is extremely sore (heavy DL and SLDL workout on thursday).

Yesterday:

Close grip bench press:

135 x 10
225 x 10
300 x 8
300 x 6
300 x 6
245 x 12

Regular grip bench

245 x 10

Regular grip is still hurting a bit, I need to get back into it slowly.

DB flyes:

75's x 10
75's x 10
75's x 8

Ouch.

Dips:

25, 25, 15

I need to find my weighted belt.

Pushdowns on the lat pulldown machine:

125 x 10
137.5 x 10

(Note that there isn't the 50% mechanical advantage on these that you find on the crossover-type machine that most people do pulldowns on)

And then I did a bunch of ab stuff. Hanging leg raises and windshield wipers.

That's about it.

Ate like crap, drank too much... hell yeah!

Sleep- 8 hours. And I work till close tonight! yahoo.

Anthony
01-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Pete, she's 26. And die please.

About half the age of what Pete goes for, but perfect age for me. Send her over! :hide: Nice work on the close grips, belial.

Hatred
01-23-2005, 01:08 PM
That's twice the age that Rene goes for, and the wrong gender to boot.

Alex.V
01-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Perverts.

So I've been lifting. Honest.

Getting back to regular grip bench, which is going fairly well... 365 goes up without trouble, and I'm hitting higher reps at 300-315 on it as well with minimal discomfort.

Deadlifts, I took easy this week with two singles at 625. Squats were today, 515 for two singles as well before hitting a heavy track workout. It was a brutal week as far as work went, though... Next week I'm only working a few shifts, so I should have more time to devote to training. I look forward to it.

Weight's the same, diet still makes baby jesus cry. And I'm drinking too much. Ah well.

_-_v_-_
01-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Good to see you back, man.

Starting tomorrow, I'll actually be coming back myself -- over the past few months, the only thing less active than my journal has been my sex life :)

ectx
01-31-2005, 08:26 AM
Alex, glad you're posting again in this thing. You've been a bit MIA. I hardly call a 625 dead lift taking it easy. *******! Yeah, I'm jealous.

ElPietro
01-31-2005, 08:34 AM
If you can't come to the arnold can you send your sister?

Focused70
01-31-2005, 09:21 AM
*looks for cookies*

Stash

Alex.V
02-07-2005, 09:59 PM
I still don't know if I can do the Arnold... I may actually have to drive. I have a lot of planning to do between now and then; hell, I don't even know which jobs I'm going to have in a week, let alone in a month. (applications pending)

And I've been MIA, but no worse than usual. Just working close to full time, plus class, plus girlfriend.

Workouts have been decent, though...

Today:

Squats:

135 x 10
225 x 8
315 x 4
405 x 3
525 x 2
405 x 6

Nothing spectacular, but fairly strong considering lower back pain.

Leg press:

975 x 12
975 x 12
1025 x 10

Rah.

Went outside and did 3 400's and 2 200's.

They hurt. A lot.

So I went and got some steak, and wings, and beer, and a bloomin onion. I love my diet.

But after two hours of physics I'm exhausted, so I'm going to bed. G'night!

lilmase1153
02-07-2005, 10:07 PM
damn bro it looks like you got awesome strength.. lookin forward too seeing more w/os

Stackattack
02-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Awesome squats man.

_8_Ball
02-08-2005, 06:09 AM
Squats:
135 x 10
225 x 8
315 x 4
405 x 3
525 x 2
405 x 6

Leg press:
975 x 12
975 x 12
1025 x 10

Hella good workout man! ;)

Pup
02-08-2005, 08:05 AM
You're still an animal...that is all.

neartaigh
02-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Btw...

Nothing wrong with older women. ;)

Wikked1
02-08-2005, 01:23 PM
So you do occasionally post. Awesome squat numbers! And if I may quote you "plus girlfriend?" I don't know why but for some reason I read this more like an after thought,when we all KNOW the order should be like this.....
Girlfriend.
Almost full time job.
Class.
Better clean that up before she reads it dude! :evillaugh

Alex.V
02-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Lilmase, stackattack, thank you guys... I just wish I was putting more numbers in bold. :( been too long since I've done that.

8- "hella" may not be used in my journal. lol. but thank you, sir.

Rob- Some things change, some things don't. I owe you a call.

neartaigh- No, true. Though it's ended not so well the times I've gone that route. ;)

Wikked- woman knows her place!

Actually, the order is for a reason.. she's a fiend when it comes to working out.. she's more of a runner/endurance athlete (completed a half ironman triathlon, doing a full ironman and a few marathons this season), so she hardly holds me back from my own things. :)

But she's... distracting.

Lots of energy, those endurance athletes.

ANYWAY.

Still trying to get my regular grip bench healthy... and it wasn't bad. Still awkward, still not as strong as it used to be, but getting back there, with no shoulder pain. I think I may finally be sticking with it this time.

Bench press:

135 x 10,
225 x 10,
315 x 4,
345 x 1,
385 x 1

Called it quits there, while I was still happy and pain-free.

Bi-angular row:

10 plates x 8
8 plates x 10
8 plates x 8

Whee.

Horizontal pullups: 25, 20

Barbell curls:

135 x 8
135 x 6
Followed by concentration curls and other jerkoff ****.

So a decent session.

Diet- not terrible

Sleep- consistently good!

And that's about it. Working a double at PF Chang's tomorrow, still waiting to hear back from the head of K-lab, so... slightly tense week.

Pup
02-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Women tend to become Distractresses...my better half can attest to that.

lilmase1153
02-08-2005, 08:53 PM
damn ace bench bro..

Stackattack
02-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Strong workout. But i must ask. What is this Bi-angular row you speak of? :D

neartaigh
02-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Women tend to become Distractresses...my better half can attest to that.

Distractresses? Only with proper inspiration, Rob....so, actually, it`s your fault. ;)

And, Belial, you may have simply chosen the wrong older woman. I`m a firm believer in happy endings. *giggle*

cphafner
02-08-2005, 09:05 PM
man you haven't lost a beat. I've eaten at the PF Changs you work at(or I'm assuming you work at), pretty good eats.

Alex.V
02-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Very good eats. I'm working wednesday night, come get food.

Neartaigh- I have no desire to go that route again, thanks. Happily taken by a girl who's everything I've ever wanted. And she doesn't have baggage, which I think may be a first in my relationships. ;)

stackattack- It's a hammer strength type machine... basically a plate loading row with a pretty direct translation from weight to lift, with minimal mechanical advantage. Good stuff.

And I've sucked about updating....

I pulled 630 pretty easily on thursday, and was going to bump up and try 660-ish, but my back was not happy... so I cut down and did some unexciting shoulders (DB presses.... sets with the 110's of around 8-10 reps)

Friday, did some higher rep bench:

Bench press:

135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 8
275 x 10
275 x 7

This was good for me. Granted, it was a rep PR, but a powerful one at that.

Did some other random chest and tricep crap, but that was the highlight.

Legs today:

Squats:

135 x 6
225 x 6
315 x 4
405 x 2
535 x 1
405 x 6

Easy as well... my legs are killing me from being on my feet all weekend, but squats were powerful enough. Finished with a few sets of leg press (1075 pounds for 3 sets of 10), some hyperextensions with a 185 pound barbell held to my chest, and a 55 second hold in the pull-up position, legs fully extended outward. This hurt my abs.

Diet's been a little iffy, but sleep is finally caught up and I feel fantastic.

Sorta.

MixmasterNash
02-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Do you ever front squat or do olympic lifts?

lilmase1153
02-14-2005, 09:50 PM
you feel fantastic sorta lmao.. damn strong w/os belial your squats bench and dl are nice bro..

Stackattack
02-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Nice bench pr. A strong couple of sesions.

Originally Posted by Belial
stackattack- It's a hammer strength type machine... basically a plate loading row with a pretty direct translation from weight to lift, with minimal mechanical advantage. Good stuff.
LMAO. I was kidding. You must have answered that question at least 10 times throught this journal. I just figured that it hadn't been asked for awhile;)

Oh yeah. Your DL is nuts.

_-_v_-_
02-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Good to hear things are going well, B.

BTW, you considering the med school route?

cphafner
02-14-2005, 10:53 PM
damn thats impressive strength. I'm back in NYC, otherwise I'd be there!

ElPietro
02-15-2005, 07:45 AM
**** you and your deadlifts! Come to Columbus so I can crowbar your knees Tonya Harding style! :evillaugh

Paul Stagg
02-15-2005, 07:50 AM
Neartaigh- I have no desire to go that route again, thanks. Happily taken by a girl who's everything I've ever wanted. And she doesn't have baggage, which I think may be a first in my relationships. ;)

Bow to the High Lord of the Understatement.

ectx
02-15-2005, 08:10 AM
Wow, Alex. You're all smitten and stuff. Stop smiling. It's creepy! I'm seriously glad you're happy and settled. Fathers can unlock their daughters' rooms at night. The pretty-boy from Duke is no longer on the prowl.

And damn you and your strength. *injects mIGF-1 retrovirus*

bill
02-15-2005, 08:18 AM
One strong cat.

Focused70
02-15-2005, 08:56 AM
:withstupi

Stash

dissipate
02-16-2005, 07:56 AM
wow on the squats!

Wikked1
02-16-2005, 08:41 AM
With lifts like that I think I'd post each one in a seperate thread! :evillaugh
Awesome benching!

Alex.V
02-17-2005, 10:10 PM
MMN; I have in the past, but don't really see any use in them at the moment. My weak points in all my lifts wouldn't really be remedied by either front squats or cleans/snatches. Fun stuff, though.

lilmase, thank ya bro.

Stackattack, you know I was trying to figure out if I should be a jackass, or legitimately respond to the question. You're right, it had been a few pages, so I figured I should be cool about it.

Bastard.

V- Considering it. As much as I'm considering grad school or PA school.

cp- I don't blame you. Go to the one in NY. It's cooler. Just because it's in New York. Lucky bastard.

El****o- No! My knees are jacked up enough. And you still may not date my sister.

Paul- I'm not saying a ****ing word. :angel:

rene... I never said I wasn't on the prowl, really. My girl's said she doesn't mind having a few of my, uh, friends come "visit". :D

Everyone else, thanks much. unfortunately, after today the lifting may suck. Depends how I feel tomorrow.

Sunday I squatted, and hit 535 for an easy single.

Tuesday, I benched, and hit 390 for an easy single.

Today, I deadlifted and did shoulders:

Deadlifts:

135 x 4
225 x 4
315 x 3
405 x 2
495 x 2
635 x 1
635 x 1
Burnt.

I was going to do more auxiliary work, but my lower back's still recovering pretty slowly. Next week may be lighter on the deads, with some more lockout work thrown in.

Lateral raises with the 55's and some cables, then..

Shoulder presses:

100's x oh ****.

Left dumbbell went up, then drifted back. And back. And back. And my shoulder grinded and cracked as I dropped the weight. It hurt a lot.

So I've taken some Aleve, iced it, and it only bothers me a little bit at certain angles.. I'm hoping it's just sore and that I didn't do further damage. :( So I called it a day (after some windshield wipers) and went to the track.

New spikes, so I went pretty easy.

1 x 400 (warmup)
5 x 100
2 x 150
Speed drills (high stepping and starts)
Then stretched out and went home.

That's 'bout it, kids.

lilmase1153
02-17-2005, 11:31 PM
damn good deads and be careful on the shoulder bro..

bill
02-18-2005, 06:00 PM
That shoulder sounds bad, I did something similar once with a bar and it took quite awhile to recover. good luck.

Hatred
02-18-2005, 06:20 PM
635 is "Holy 5hit" weight..I aspire to reach that shortly.(in God's sense of time anyway.)
Shoulder Injuries are horrible. It seems like everytimer I get in the gym that I am there trying to avoid them at all times.

Pup
02-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Strong like bull moose with a hard on.

JustinASU
02-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Alex...you bastard. How ya been? Check your voicemail...

cphafner
02-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Damn those deads are sick. I've lost balance on shoulder presses before, that can be a scary and danger situation!

Focused70
02-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Owwww. Hurts to think about it.

Man, hope you get back on track soon, B.

Stash