PDA

View Full Version : HEY, why not.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Alex.V
01-17-2002, 09:56 AM
Yes I did. :)

Alex.V
01-17-2002, 03:09 PM
Holy crap, that was post 500 in this journal. Sweet.

Alex.V
01-17-2002, 03:24 PM
*throws little one-person party*

And it was on the day I deadlifted. *sigh*

Jane
01-17-2002, 03:47 PM
:thumbup:

Congragulations. Wait, Congrajulations. Dammit, my brain is fried. :)

Kudos you wise elephant-lifting cow.

Alex.V
01-19-2002, 10:32 AM
Goood chest day.

I was a little worried, considering the shoulder problems I had this week. But I took it easy, benched slow, and I was fine.

BB bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 255 x 3, 280 x 2, 320 x 1.5 (!), 245 x 8

320 felt good. Not EASY, but good. My spotter helped me on the eccentric on rep 2, and gave me fingertip assist at the bottom, but the first rep was all me. Veddy nice.

DB bench:

110 x 9, 110 x 8

haha. Okay, these were bothering my shoulder a little. So i cut set 2 short.

Cable crossovers:

120 x 10, 120 x 10, 130 x 10.

Skullcrusher/close grip bench supersets:

115 x 8/8, 150 x 7/6

haha. That last rep on the close grip for 150 almost killed me. But the skullcrushers actually felt much easier than the 145 did last week.

Diet- perfect

Sleep- 7.5 hours

Weigh in tuesday.

Hot Shot
01-19-2002, 10:36 AM
GREAT job man!:thumbup:

MonStar1023
01-19-2002, 10:37 AM
Belial-
Training looking good bro. Nice Flat DB Press strenght! 110 lbs. for 8-9 reps.. really looking good bro. Im getting 110s for 4.. which is pretty good for me Im only 18. Anyway Lying Ext. really is looking good bro 150 lbs. SS with CG bench. Wow. Im definitely impressed.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Alex.V
01-19-2002, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys.

:cool:

Alex.V
01-20-2002, 11:23 AM
Leg day.

Uhh, I guess I really slept well or something.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 275 x 6, 325 x 6, 385 x 7 (!)

I've decided I'm sick of still squatting in the 300's. Screw that. 400 will be mine in two weeks, and four plates the week after that. Grrr. Oh, and the wider hand position and pulling down on the bar is helping. A lot. So that's up ten pounds this week.

Front squats:

315 x 6, 315 x 6 (!)

Yeah, so I didn't feel like taking off the 45. Those are up ten pounds... the first set is up a lot more than that, actually.

SLDLs:

325 x 7, 385 x 8 (!)

Oi. Ouch. Some dude did a double take at this. haha. uhh, cool. Also up ten.

Leg press:

785 x 9, 875 x 8 (!)

Again, not record breaking. But feeling oh so good. Up 20.

Calf raises on sled:

765 x 10, 765 x 10, 835 x 10 (!)

Up, uh, loads.

I was done. I hobbled up the stairs and back to the car...

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 7 hours.

That's it. As always, tuesday is weigh in.

Jane
01-20-2002, 11:28 AM
You're still squatting in the 300s??? I mean, really B, you're so behind. Screw that sh*t.

*squish*

eww....

Alex.V
01-20-2002, 11:30 AM
I vill break joo, leetle gerl.

*cracks knuckles, grabs barbell*

Jane
01-20-2002, 11:31 AM
Making sense. Hmm. When did I start caring about that? :D

Alex.V
01-20-2002, 11:32 AM
You DO realize how little sense that will make to people who didn't see the back and forth, right?

Alex.V
01-22-2002, 09:47 AM
Hmmm....

Back day:

Weighed in before my workout...

Weighted pull-ups:

+55 x 8, +90 x 6, +117.5 x 2.5 (!), +55 x 8

That 2.5 is to be expected... my bodyweight went up significantly this week.

Bent-over DB rows:

110 x 10, 125 x 7, 145 x 6 (!)

I did the second 2 sets using the EZ curl bar, stacking 25's and a 10 on each side. This was not easy... I had to maintain the bar's balance while avoiding smacking myself in the face or the knee on the way up. But these felt GOOD. Yes, everyone is convinced I'm mentally unstable. Does anybody else feel like booting after doing DB rows?

Bent-over BB rows:

225 x 9

No improvement, wasn't going for any.

Ez-curl bar, narrow grip:

115 x 8, 115 x 8, 120 x 5 + long negative.

Ouch. Yeah, biceps toast. Those DB rows were brutal.

Diet- pretty damn good.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

Weight: 216

That's it.

Alex.V
01-22-2002, 03:57 PM
Updated: I wonder if the shrug-downs are exacerbating the stretch marks under my arms. Full extension under a heavy load, lats completely flexed.... They look hideous. :(

chris mason
01-22-2002, 04:22 PM
It's the growth exacerbating the stretch marks.

Alex.V
01-22-2002, 05:17 PM
Yeah... I'm wondering if pulling on the skin at its tightest is causing direct damage, though. Either way, I need to start damage control somehow.

the doc
01-22-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Belial

110 x 10, 125 x 7, 145 x 6 (!)

I did the second 2 sets using the EZ curl bar, stacking 25's and a 10 on each side. This was not easy... I had to maintain the bar's balance while avoiding smacking myself in the face or the knee on the way up. But these felt GOOD. Yes, everyone is convinced I'm mentally unstable. Does anybody else feel like booting after doing DB rows?

hmm i can imagine the stares. All the curl jockeys and prissy females are like" this dudes fooking crazy"
I let out some hideous grunts whilst squatting the other day and had the whole lifting class staring at me.. I just look back when i'm done mumbling "well fuk 'em"

Blood&Iron
01-22-2002, 08:05 PM
Just stopped by to check things out. Sort of skimmed the 1st couple pages then skipped to the end(I'm not ready to read 5 months worth of posts, plus it's hard in such a format to get a clear picture of the overall arc of your training.) Just got a couple of questions if you don't mind. Your progress during the course of this journal is *very* impressive. What would you say are the core tenants of your training?(Other than busting your ass in the gym, eating right, and sufficient rest, of course.) Just curious. Also, I noticed you were 5.4%bf at the beginning? What approach(es) did you take to get there? Thanks.

Alex.V
01-22-2002, 08:26 PM
To get that low... well, I'm not tremendously proud of it. I essentially crash dieted down from an obese 235. So I'd rather not discuss the, erm, techniques I used to get that low. I was actually 148 lbs. at an extremely low bodyfat (unmeasurable by calipers, nothing but skin on the abs, lower back, glutes, subscapular, etc.)

Moving along....

The training is pretty basic... 4 days a week. The only warm up sets are the ones leading up to the basic compound lift of the day... Weighted chins, deadlifts, bench press, and squat, depending if it's back/shoulder/chest/or leg day. After that, two work sets per lift, the first set being lighter, not to failure, with a focus on slower tempo and very complete ROM. The second set is a much harder set, higher weight, less consistent tempo, and is often to failure (when it's safe). My workouts are fairly low volume (but this fluctuates.)

One of the key things has been the thinking that I WILL progress every week. Except for the bench press (which I'm taking it slow on, due to slightly irritated shoulders lately), progress has been fairly consistent. I think figuring out my week points, and training specifically to bring them up has kept the compound lifts rising, which has allowed progressive overload every week, and thus growth. Hence the hamstring/glute heavy leg day, the emphasis on lower back work (There's always the risk of overtraining it, but it hasn't happened yet), the heavy tricep work on chest day, etc.

I don't do drop sets or burnout sets usually... There's not a huge amount of science to the routine. I just bust my ass for 45-50 minutes, giving those heavy sets everything I have, then I go home and eat like a pig. :) My diet's also not as tight as some individuals' here, but the macros are fairly consistent and I think I've tweaked the calories to keep growing with minimal fat gain.

Jane
01-23-2002, 04:08 AM
*moo*

Blood&Iron
01-23-2002, 07:06 AM
To get that low... well, I'm not tremendously proud of it. I essentially crash dieted down from an obese 235. So I'd rather not discuss the, erm, techniques I used to get that low. I was actually 148 lbs. at an extremely low bodyfat (unmeasurable by calipers, nothing but skin on the abs, lower back, glutes, subscapular, etc.)

I gotta assume you've got good genetics for being lean then. I did something similar at age 17(I went from 215 to 165 over about 9 months, eating 800-900kcal a day) and I still wasn't ripped. No longer fat. But still a higher bf% than I am now(I wasn't really exercising much, though--and not lifting at all)

Moving along....

The training is pretty basic... 4 days a week. The only warm up sets are the ones leading up to the basic compound lift of the day... Weighted chins, deadlifts, bench press, and squat, depending if it's back/shoulder/chest/or leg day. After that, two work sets per lift, the first set being lighter, not to failure, with a focus on slower tempo and very complete ROM. The second set is a much harder set, higher weight, less consistent tempo, and is often to failure (when it's safe). My workouts are fairly low volume (but this fluctuates.)

One of the key things has been the thinking that I WILL progress every week. Except for the bench press (which I'm taking it slow on, due to slightly irritated shoulders lately), progress has been fairly consistent. I think figuring out my week points, and training specifically to bring them up has kept the compound lifts rising, which has allowed progressive overload every week, and thus growth. Hence the hamstring/glute heavy leg day, the emphasis on lower back work (There's always the risk of overtraining it, but it hasn't happened yet), the heavy tricep work on chest day, etc.

I don't do drop sets or burnout sets usually... There's not a huge amount of science to the routine. I just bust my ass for 45-50 minutes, giving those heavy sets everything I have, then I go home and eat like a pig. :) My diet's also not as tight as some individuals' here, but the macros are fairly consistent and I think I've tweaked the calories to keep growing with minimal fat gain.
Sound very similar to my approach, though I've never focused on assistance lifts, other than having a few isolation exercises here and there. I think my downfall is I move up my poundages too quickly, decide my form is sub-par and drop things back down again. It sorta puts me in endless loop where I keep making the same strength gains(Although it's worked well for lbm gains, which are my main concern.)

So, have these past 5months been you're first foray into consistent, heavy lifting, i.e.beginner gains? Or am I misinterpreting things?

Alex.V
01-23-2002, 10:47 AM
Funny, I never really thought I had lean genetics (a good portion of my family has weight problems, especially on my father's side, and I've never had abs until I cut like mad.

I think the two-set idea has helped a great deal, actually. The first set (or the sets between the warm up and the maximal on my compounds) do allow me to focus on form. They're never to exhaustion, but it's here that I'll see where my weaknesses are, and I can correct what I'm doing without worrying about dropping the weight on my head or collapsing. The maximal set is really where the stimulation comes in, though. And I hit usually from 3-4 maximal sets of some form or another per workout, which is PLENTY to stimulate growth. But I think the variety is what helps prevent overtraining.

As I said, I lifted a good deal back in high school, but NEVER lifted big weights. (machines. lmao). I think when I was a skinny ripped little focker, my body was just begging to grow. So I put on weight like mad. I stagnated a little over the summer, but my strength has continued to go up...

and check your PMs.

Jane
01-24-2002, 04:34 AM
I am a skinny ripped little focker

That is all. :)

Blood&Iron
01-24-2002, 05:36 AM
Funny, I never really thought I had lean genetics (a good portion of my family has weight problems, especially on my father's side, and I've never had abs until I cut like mad.

Just made this comment, cuz if you're diet was completely whacked and you still ended up looking ripped and not emaciated then you're fortunate. I just looked goofy at 165--although it was certainly an improvement over a porky 215.

I think the two-set idea has helped a great deal, actually. The first set (or the sets between the warm up and the maximal on my compounds) do allow me to focus on form. They're never to exhaustion, but it's here that I'll see where my weaknesses are, and I can correct what I'm doing without worrying about dropping the weight on my head or collapsing. The maximal set is really where the stimulation comes in, though. And I hit usually from 3-4 maximal sets of some form or another per workout, which is PLENTY to stimulate growth.

I've always just done one work-set to failure. Although, I do a 2nd with slightly more weight sometimes if I hit the upper-limit of my rep-range with the 1st set.

But I think the variety is what helps prevent overtraining.

Huh? Maybe you mean overtraining as in preventing injury?

As I said, I lifted a good deal back in high school, but NEVER lifted big weights. (machines. lmao). I think when I was a skinny ripped little focker, my body was just begging to grow. So I put on weight like mad. I stagnated a little over the summer, but my strength has continued to go up...

I scrupulously avoided all physical activity in high-school--not part of my persona. Oh, and I don't buy the "Machines are worthless." thing as plenty of people have gotten really strong using them. But that's just my opinion.

Alex.V
01-24-2002, 06:08 AM
1- No, the diet was not totally whacked. But my body is not meant to be remotely close to 148. There's obviously more to the story.

2- All righty

3- No. Taking the same lift to failure numerous times in the same workout would cause burnout. There'd be more chance of injury of the smaller (or first to fail) muscles, and I DO think development would be uneven. Rowing to failure will affect the body differently than doing pull-ups to failure, but I couldn't get away with doing both for multiple sets.

4- I don't buy it either. But if the majority of your chest work comes from using the nautilus bench press, you're not exactly building tremendous mass or functional strength.

Jane---- Hush you!

Blood&Iron
01-24-2002, 07:55 AM
1- No, the diet was not totally whacked. But my body is not meant to be remotely close to 148. There's obviously more to the story.

2- All righty

3- No. Taking the same lift to failure numerous times in the same workout would cause burnout. There'd be more chance of injury of the smaller (or first to fail) muscles, and I DO think development would be uneven. Rowing to failure will affect the body differently than doing pull-ups to failure, but I couldn't get away with doing both for multiple sets.

4- I don't buy it either. But if the majority of your chest work comes from using the nautilus bench press, you're not exactly building tremendous mass or functional strength.

Jane---- Hush you!
It was early, and I guess I misread. I thought you were saying you did 3-4 failure sets PER exercise. My fault. Also, I interpreted your statement of "Variety prevents overtraining" to mean that you thought the mere fact of using several different exercises would somehow magically prevent overtraining, which, obviously, made absolutely no sense to me.

Oh, and I think you can build plenty of mass with a nautilus bench press. Nor do I believe there's such a thing as "non-functional" strength, which your statement would imply. So Nautilus would work fine for that as well. But I've been brainwashed by Arthur Jones.

Alex.V
01-24-2002, 09:32 AM
Understood. lol. By having a variety of similar exercises, I will work a variety of muscles hard, but the weakest link in each maximal set is slightly different. SLDLs, the lower back fails. Leg press, it's my hamstrings and glutes. Front squats, my quads are the first to do. So it may seem like a lot of heavy sets, but my hamstrings are only failing once; most of my routine works like this. Maybe not for everyone, but the progress means that it obviously works for me.

My point was, simply placing the pin at 120 on an old universal machine (not actually a nautilus), and doing 12 reps of this every other day will NOT make you a stronger shot-putter or give you an advantage when it comes to trying to push someone else around on the field. My training was unfocused, and even though I "lifted", I didn't apply any progressive overload, I did the same routine every other day, and I never actually gained size or any significant strength. Progressive overload on the nautilus bench will make your pecs and triceps stronger, but will it make it much easier to push your way past the offensive line? Doubtful. Especially not if your teammates (and the guys on the other side of the line of scrimmage) have been using a variety of more specialized training techniques.

And I DO believe there's a difference between simple "muscle strength" and "functional strength". Leg extensions build muscle strength. But they won't help you pick up your dog. Not like squats will. (or deadlifts, better yet. How about Zerchers? lol) Simplistic? Maybe. But a reasonable way of looking at it.

Shoulder day:

Fitness assessment in my health and wellness class before my workout. Actually, just # of sit ups in one minute. Got 57. Laughable, but not bad considering my full stomach, and the fact that none of my ab work is ever over 8 reps. lol.

Seated DB press:

80x2 x 8, 90x2 x 8 (!)

I could do a lot more on these, but right now my slightly sore shoulders are holding me back. No sense risking it ATM.

Lateral raises:

35 x 10, 40 x 10.

Not pushing these too hard for the same reason. Nice and slow.

Deadlifts:

225 x 8, 325 x 6, 390 x 6, 470 x 7.5 (!)

Straps (that I only used on the last set) started slipping. Fockity fock. Oh well. Wuhoo, deadlifts!

Zerchers:

260 x 6, 275 x 6 (!)

I felt sick..... Still not a big weight, but wow, they take a lot out of you.

BB shrugs:

385 x 10, 420 x 8 (!)

Strict. Sweeet.

Diet- perfect.

Sleep- 7 hours.

That's it... I may weigh in this weekend, but I'll probably hold off until tuesday.

IceRgrrl
01-24-2002, 11:04 AM
Progressive overload on the nautilus bench will make your pecs and triceps stronger, but will it make it much easier to push your way past the offensive line? Doubtful. Especially not if your teammates (and the guys on the other side of the line of scrimmage) have been using a variety of more specialized training techniques.

Sorry to clutter up your journal, but the "specialized training techniques" you mentioned recall fond memories of pushing a car around a pasture with one of my teammates...LOL!

Alex.V
01-24-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl

Sorry to clutter up your journal,

Mi casa es su casa, mi amor.

Blood&Iron
01-24-2002, 02:04 PM

My point was, simply placing the pin at 120 on an old universal machine (not actually a nautilus), and doing 12 reps of this every other day will NOT make you a stronger shot-putter or give you an advantage when it comes to trying to push someone else around on the field.

Of course, slapping one plate on each side of an olympic bar and doing 12 reps every other day, won't help any more. It has nothing to do with the source of the resistance, merely with the fact, that to your credit you mentioned, of the lack of progressive resistance.

My training was unfocused, and even though I "lifted", I didn't apply any progressive overload, I did the same routine every other day, and I never actually gained size or any significant strength. Progressive overload on the nautilus bench will make your pecs and triceps stronger, but will it make it much easier to push your way past the offensive line? Doubtful. Especially not if your teammates (and the guys on the other side of the line of scrimmage) have been using a variety of more specialized training techniques.

There are plenty of high level collegiate and professional sports teams that exclusively use machines. I think you would be hard pressed to watch them, and say "Hey, those guys use machines." and "Those other guys use free-weights" Nor would performance be an indicator. The Principle of Specificity requires that an exercise be identical in every way for it to transfer to athletic performance, so basically nothing one does in the weight room will "transfer" to the field, court, etc. But increased strength will always carry over to increased force production, and lead to increased performance. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this, however, as I've had this "discussion" any number of times and never convinced anyone of my way of thinking nor been convinced to change my opinion.

And I DO believe there's a difference between simple "muscle strength" and "functional strength". Leg extensions build muscle strength. But they won't help you pick up your dog. Not like squats will. (or deadlifts, better yet. How about Zerchers? lol) Simplistic? Maybe. But a reasonable way of looking at it.

See above.

BTW, again I'm impressed by the weights you're putting up. Good job.

Alex.V
01-24-2002, 02:16 PM
I think we're essentially arguing different points, my friend. I was simply saying that my weight training was unguided, non-progressive, and essentially did NOT help my athletic endeavours. I never said machines have no place in a regime, even for elite athletes. But you will NEVER see a strong athlete who does nothing but 10-12 reps on a few Universal stations. There would not be entire teams of trainers fine-tuning athlete's routines for maximum performance transfer if the same kind of training could benefit everyone. True, nothing in the weight room will ever approximate real world conditions, but power cleans and incline bench work will help out your offensive line more than the Universal bench press and leg extensions, no? Not arguing anything remotely groundbreaking here. As for your other point... "increased strength will always carry over to increased force production, and lead to increased performance." We'll have to agree to disagree, yes. I think there are far too many cases where increased strength, especially in a fixed range/plane of motion, will not improve athletic performance.

And thanks. :)

IceRgrrl
01-24-2002, 05:06 PM

Mi casa es su casa, mi amor.

Mucho gracias...te adoro ;)

Alex.V
01-24-2002, 07:40 PM

Mucho gracias...te adoro ;)

Rowr. :D

Alex.V
01-24-2002, 11:32 PM
Note: Nothing puts things in perspective like going out, and having everybody you haven't seen in a while tell you how "jacked" you've gotten.

Like, that was SO sweet that I almost totally head butted this chick.

Cool. I'm going to bed now.

heathj
01-25-2002, 07:23 AM
I like guys.

Alex.V
01-25-2002, 07:49 AM
Normally that would be an abuse of power, but this is MY journal.

:D

Blood&Iron
01-25-2002, 04:04 PM
Normally that would be an abuse of power, but this is MY journal.

Took me a second to figure out what the hell you were talking about. I'm still trying to think of some witty quip...

Fart Barker
01-25-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by heathj
I like guys.

:evillaugh

heathj
01-25-2002, 06:25 PM
Ok, time to die....Hulk, ban Belial. Thanks.

Alex.V
01-26-2002, 10:57 AM
Chest day:

I own. Pretty good progression today.

BB bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 255 x 3, 285 x 2, 325 x 1.5 (!)

Okay, I'm considering counting that as a single. There wasn't much power at the bottom of rep 2. Next week I won't raise the weight.

Reverse grip BB bench:

225 x 6, 225 x 6

Sh*ts and giggles. These looked cool, and people were already staring. Seriously, though, these kill the triceps, and don't bother my shoulders as much as, say, close grip BB bench.

DB bench:

110 x 8, 110 x 8

Triceps failed pretty quickly here.

Crossovers:

120 x 10, 120 x 10, 130 x 10.

Ouch! Burn.

Skullcrusher/close grip bench supersets:

115 x 8/8, 155 x 6/6 (!)

Jeeesus. Those last two close grip bench were sheer willpower. The skullcrushers are at my limit. I won't progress on these next week, I'll focus on ROM and reps.

Did a single set of tricep pushdowns (rope) just to see where I stood on these. Last time I did them (7 months ago) I was doing 80 pounds.

Tricep pushdowns:

180 x 8

Not too shabby. Not going to put these in the routine, it was just nice to see progression like that.

Diet- right on. A BIT high in fat, but calories were good.

Sleep- 7 hours.

Das' it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-26-2002, 11:49 AM
pfft, there's no such thing as "too much fat" hahaha

Cool 1RM B, but do you not think you're short-changing yourself working with such low reps for bench?

why not try first set being for your strength rep range and then lowering weight for your second [and maybe third] set [s] and going for higher reps?

great job all in all tho. When do you next weigh in?

Alex.V
01-26-2002, 11:55 AM
Well, normally I do a drop down set at a moderate number of reps... at the moment, BB bench is strictly for building strength.. in my bench press. I also need to build up slowly on these; there's no way in hell I'd do 325 for my second or third set.

The DB bench is higher reps, the crossovers are my chest isolation (also higher reps), and the skulls/CGBP are my tricep isolations. The 1RM is a bit more taxing than I'd like it to be; the idea is doing a submaximal single to prime me for higher rep work. It IS working, but at the moment it's tanking me out a little. I'm going to make SURE I'm only doing more than a single if I can handle it well, hence I plan on slowing down. My chest is responding to this routine quite well, though. (as are my triceps), so I have a feeling I'll stick with it a little while. Next weigh-in will be tuesday.

Thanks for the opinions, feedback, and comments, man. Always much appreciated.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-26-2002, 12:03 PM
yeah man, you've been going full speed ahead for months now. Your CNS must be going over time! you gonna consider doing a 'down cycle' for a few weeks in a couple of months?

Also, with your shoulders giving you aggro, do you not find it wise to be careful with chest poundages?

Where's the weighted dips? :)

Alex.V
01-26-2002, 12:09 PM
hehe. I know, I keep thinking I should take it easy, but I still feel extremely pumped going into the gym. There's no signs of psychological burnout, and despite my better judgement I keep pushing myself. I SHOULD consider backing off a bit... we'll see. Once I'm benching 350, squatting 405 x 7, and deadlifting 500 x 7, I'll slow down. :D

Weighted dips are out for a while. It was just too much; at the time I was doing heavy flat, heavy incline, and heavy dips. WAY too many heavy presses, my elbows were starting to hate me. I might switch them back in once I get bored of the skulls/CGBP.

The problem with the shoulders comes in during overhead presses, during flat presses I don't feel any strain on the muscle group that's giving me problems. I DO make sure to tell my spotter about my shoulders, so they're a bit more atttentive than usual. I think the joints themselves are fine, it's just the surrounding muscles that need some work. They're not overtrained, they just haven't developed on par with everything else. I'm doing specific work for them now; hopefully they'll start to catch up, and with the slowing of my poundage increase (on the bench), hopefully this will stop being a problem in a month or so.

Taras
01-26-2002, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belial Once I'm benching 350, squatting 405 x 7, and deadlifting 500 x 7, I'll slow down. :D

Which should be in about another month, I'd guess. ;)

I've never seen anyone make such consistent progress month after month. That's amazing!

Blood&Iron
01-27-2002, 08:10 AM

Weighted dips are out for a while. It was just too much; at the time I was doing heavy flat, heavy incline, and heavy dips. WAY too many heavy presses, my elbows were starting to hate me.

I've always been firmly of the opinion that, provided you're using impeccable form, you should not have joint problems(And I don't. It's only when my form becomes a bit, let's say "unique", that I run into problems.) Of course, I use considerably less weight than you do, so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Oh, and I was really surprised to see cable-crossovers in there. Don't really see you as a cable-crossover kinda guy. Then again, everyone deserves to have a couple foo-foo exercises in his routine...

Alex.V
01-27-2002, 08:19 AM
It wasn't the joint itself, but rather the triceps tendons in the region. It was simply too much stress on them during each each and every workout; there's also no way I can get a spotter for weighted dips, (seeing as 215 pounds + 160 pounds is a lot of weight to lift up once the arms fail), so more often than not the exercise was ending on an excruciatingly slow negative. NOT what I needed after several heavy presses.

As far as the crossovers go... I'm still a dumb little bodybuilder wanna be. I do them for the "pump" to expand the fascia and to work on separation on the inside of my pecs....

;) (note: that's a joke)

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-27-2002, 08:22 AM
lmao@foo-foo.

Blood&Iron
01-27-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
lmao@foo-foo.
All credit to Lyle McDonald. It's *his* term for isolation exercises. I think it more descriptive than any other term, so I use it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-27-2002, 08:36 AM
That is quality that is.

he doesn;t like all isolation exercises?

this may seem a long shot, but can you give me a[ny] link[s] to some of his posts on MFW. The good ones, naturally. :)

thanks man.

Alex.V
01-27-2002, 11:35 AM
Leg day:

I don't know where the power came from.... I ate a sh*tload yesterday after coming home from work, I got a good night's sleep, and I got to the gym fired up.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 285 x 6, 335 x 6, 395 x 7 (!)

Actually, 8 reps, but one had a shitty ROM. At this point I stepped back.... did a double take. I was so close to my goal of 4 plates. I guess on impulse I took off the smaller plates and threw on another pair of big uns. I grabbed two guys who were benching, and had them spot me. They just kinda stared. I told them I didn't know how many I had in me... I figured one or two after the 395....

.... 405 x 5 (!)

This earned me a pat on the back and looks of approval. There aren't too many things in life I feel I've accomplished on my own, without having someone else push me. This is one of them, and I'm feeling great right now.

Front squats:

315 x 6, 320 x 6 (!)

Ugly, but I was tired.

SLDLs:

335 x 7, 390 x 8 (!)

Not too bad... lots of lower back strength. Good.

At this point, the fire alarm went off, so we stood outside for 7-8 minutes. Threw me off a bit.

Leg press:

785 x 9, 895 x 8 (!)

OUCH. I was done.

Calf raises on sled:

855 x 10, 855 x 10, 855 x 9

Bitchin'. But my calves are still tiny.

Diet- right on.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

And I'm fookin beat. I'm going to go take a hot shower and maybe lie down...

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-27-2002, 11:40 AM
I'd say you need a lie down!

The fire alarm was prolly the heat rising from your head!

Great work.

Hot Shot
01-27-2002, 12:47 PM
YOU ARE A BEAST!

Alex.V
01-27-2002, 01:00 PM
hehe. Thanks man.... I prolly looked like one, or, at least, my face was bright red. Rep 5 @ 405 was the closest to hell I've ever been in the weight room. lol. Nuts.

chris mason
01-27-2002, 01:33 PM
Are you wrapping your knees for the 405 set?

Alex.V
01-27-2002, 01:36 PM
No. Do you think I should be? They haven't been bothering me lately, but I'm beginning to think it might be worthwhile as a preventative measure.

Alex.V
01-27-2002, 01:37 PM
Oh, I AM using a belt on the heavy set... A valeo (not leather). I'm not sure what my belt-free lift would be... Take that for what it is.

chris mason
01-27-2002, 01:39 PM
No, I was just curious. The lift is more impressive without the wraps. Good job!

Alex.V
01-27-2002, 01:40 PM
Thank you sir. :)

I'm going to slow down a bit on these now I think... I've hit my first goal, I'll probably still do five pounds a week, but focus on my form.

heathj
01-27-2002, 01:55 PM
Die! Your squat surpassed my deadlift!

Blood&Iron
01-27-2002, 01:59 PM
That is quality that is.

he doesn;t like all isolation exercises?

this may seem a long shot, but can you give me a[ny] link[s] to some of his posts on MFW. The good ones, naturally. :)

thanks man.
Just do a search on his name. The only one I've got saved is a link to a post about muscle hypertrophy. Here it is:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=38C54143.B01D180D%40onr.com&rnum=190

IceRgrrl
01-27-2002, 02:33 PM
Way to go, B :) Sounds like you had a great workout...

MonStar1023
01-27-2002, 08:50 PM
Belial-
I am impressed.. almost a solid 900 lbs. for 8 reps on leg presses. After 4 plates on each side for 5 reps on squats.

:eek::eek:

Alex.V
01-29-2002, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys. :)

Excellent back workout...

A little tired going into it, I was dehydrated as hell when I woke up, and it took me a while to get enough fluids in my system, so the beginning of my workout was a little weak.

Weighted pull-ups:

+55 x 8, +90 x 6, +117.5 x 2.5 (+ 10 shrug-downs), +55 x 9

Hoping for 3, but there just wasn't the strength.

DB/one handed EZ curl bar rows:

110 x 10, 125 x 7, 155 x 6 (!)

That's what I'm talkin about. Still a rather awkward/unstable motion, but I'm feeling it in the right places. Wuhoo. These were brutal, though, I may stick with 155 next week.

Bent-over BB row:

230 x 9

Single slow set to failure. Also felt really good.

BB curls:

115 x 8, 115 x 8, 120 x 6

Again, no improvement. But those one-handed rows took a hell of a lot out of my arms.

Diet- perfect.

Sleep- 7 hours.

Weight- Didn't have time for a weigh-in. Thursday I will.

unev_en
01-29-2002, 09:50 AM
:eek:

Dear, sweet God....

MonStar1023
01-30-2002, 08:10 PM
Belial-
Looking GREAT bro.

:cool::cool:

Wondering about ez-curl bar one-arm rows... how the hell do you do those? Also what is your split like again? Sorry to bother you but I dont understand how your not doing deads on back day..

Jane
01-31-2002, 12:18 AM
hehe monstar I was thinking the same thing...ez curl bar one-armed? wtf? :)

Alex.V
01-31-2002, 06:49 AM
Ah, hm, haha. The dumbbells in my gym only go up to 110, so for DB rows I've been, uh, improvising. I figured an EZ curl bar might be one way to do them, so I load on a bunch of smaller plates (no 45's, I'd whack myself in the face), set up the thing next to a bench, bend over, use a strap and grip the very center, and start rowing. The tough thing is getting the balance down, but it's been working so far.

And I guess my "back day" is really more of a "lats/rear delts/biceps" day. Originally, I deadlifted on leg day. haha. that wasn't working. After hurting my back last summer, I stopped deadlifting (:eek: ), and around the same time starting doing BB shrugs on my shoulder day. Eventually, as my back started to get better, I wanted to incorporate deads in again. They don't really hit many muscle groups that the other lifts do on back day, oddly enough, so trying to fit them is is awkward. Shoulder day itself doesn't have very many lifts, so it's the perfect time to deadlift. There's enough distance from leg day to prevent it from limiting my squat.

Uhh, long and short? I do them on shoulder day because I can. :D

Alex.V
01-31-2002, 09:02 AM
Speaking of deadlifts:

Each workout just keeps getting more and more intense. I felt extremely nauseated after the third set of deads, and that lasted until I basically left the gym. You know why I love this day? It's not a get-your-pump-on-and-swagger-around-the-gym workout. It's sit-on-the-floor-between-sets-only-long-enough-so-you-don't-vomit. Fun fun.

Seated DB press:

85x2 x 8, 95x2 x 6 (!)

Bout time I moved up in these. Damn the shoulders, though. Still stopping me from pushing it on these.

Lateral raises:

35 x 10, 40 x 10.

Deadlifts:

225 x 8, 315 x 5, 405 x 5, 475 x 6.5 (!)

Missed lockout on the last rep. That's a first..but my back was ready to start rounding, so I decided not to push it and cut my losses. Honestly, the pull took so long that I don't think I'd have much past 500 for a 1RM. So I'm pondering if I should start doing work to specifically bring up my deadlift, or let it plateau for a little while, and increase more gradually. After that last rep, btw, I actually got dizzy and had to sit down. Not good, my breathing must be off.

Zerchers:

260 x 6, 315 x 5.5 (!)

Damn. I was feeling lightheaded and nauseated going into these, and felt the same when I was done. Blech.

BB shrugs:

405 x 10

At this point I think my body was trying to tell me it was done with holding heavy weights. I couldn't take it anymore. Me = wuss.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 10, 110x2 x 10.

Better than nothing.

Diet- right on

Sleep- 6 hours. :(

That's it...

YatesNightBlade
01-31-2002, 09:06 AM
You've still had more sleep then me :cry:

Nice lifts tho. ;)

ericg
01-31-2002, 09:09 AM
U one strong mofo :strong:

Alex.V
01-31-2002, 09:12 AM

Yates, how the hell do you function? I'm dying here on 6 hours... any less and I'd be a zombie...

MonStar1023
01-31-2002, 11:06 AM
Belial-
Yeah thats crazy!

I cant imagine doing my deads on shoulder day? So what is your split like again? Back and bi day... chest and tri day... then leg day and delt and deadlift day?

:confused::confused:

MonStar1023
01-31-2002, 11:06 AM
How many days a week you workout?

Alex.V
01-31-2002, 11:09 AM
M- rest
T- Back/biceps
W- rest
Th- shoulders/deadlifts
F- rest
S- chest/triceps
S- legs

Jane
01-31-2002, 11:31 AM

Yates, how the hell do you function? I'm dying here on 6 hours... any less and I'd be a zombie...

LMAO.

2 hours, 15 min.

I have yet to smack into a wall, but it may happen :)

Alex.V
01-31-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Jane

2 hours, 15 min.

:omg:

Reinier
01-31-2002, 11:39 AM
if i sleep 8 hours ill still be sleepy. i need 10

MonStar1023
01-31-2002, 11:53 AM
Belial-
Wow man interesting split.. never really seen anything like it before!.. seems like it's working for you though bro. So good luck and keep it up! You never liked push, pull, and legs? 3 days a week I mean..

The only thing that I really really dont like about it is simply the bullsh*t you have to go through when hitting delts.. your delts are usually BEAT when you train them.

beercan
01-31-2002, 11:56 AM
It's amazing that you can do deads and those nasty fuckin zerchers (lol) on wednesday, yet still have the strength to squat like that on sunday...

Alex.V
01-31-2002, 11:57 AM
*shrug*

I know... but it's been workin since last may. Go figure. I'd never recommend it to anybody, but until it stops working for me, I'll keep at it.

MonStar1023
01-31-2002, 12:04 PM
Belial-
Yeah I guess stick with what works huh?

After I have been doing deads for a while now though I can imagine my back routine without them.. do you do your ez-curl bar rows one-arm at a time? Do you do them in the same fashion as one-arm dumbbell rows? I would like to give them a shot but for some reason one-arm db rows I always felt in my rear delts instead of lats...

MonStar1023
01-31-2002, 12:07 PM
Deads and zerchers on shoulder day?

And then barbell and dumbbell shrugs on that day too???

Alex.V
01-31-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by MonStar1023

do you do your ez-curl bar rows one-arm at a time? Do you do them in the same fashion as one-arm dumbbell rows? I would like to give them a shot but for some reason one-arm db rows I always felt in my rear delts instead of lats...

Yep, for all intents and purposes they're the exact same thing as DB rows... One arm at a time. upper arm parallel to the body, full extension at the bottom of the movement, begin the pull from the back, not the arm.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-31-2002, 12:35 PM
what's your general rep tempo like?

does it vary between exercises? if so how?

i know this may seem like a lot to write out, but don't tell me you don't like having the longest journal on the site with the most replies...;)

Alex.V
01-31-2002, 12:47 PM
what's your general rep tempo like?

does it vary between exercises? if so how?

i know this may seem like a lot to write out, but don't tell me you don't like having the longest journal on the site with the most replies...;)

hehehe. Well, I do like it, yeah, but I don't want it to get insanely cluttered. ;)

Rep tempo does vary with exercise. I usually don't count, squats, deads, bench press, etc., I basically try to move the weight with good form, without being crushed. The load dictates tempo, in this case. My heavy set of squats may even be as slow as 4-1-4 in later reps, while DB shrugs are more or less 2-1-2. Bench press is touch and go, with a slower, more carefully controlled descent on the heavier weights. Lateral raises are likewise slow, SLDLs are slow... I'll start making notes in the journal for those lifts where I pay attention to tempo.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-31-2002, 12:53 PM
Thank you.

Alex.V
02-02-2002, 11:19 AM
Not too awful of a chest day considering I went out drinking last night (didn't get blasted, but still had enough to dehydrate the hell out of me), and only got 6 hours of sleep for the second night in a row.

BB bench:

135 x 8, 235 x 6, 255 x 3, 285 x 3, 325 x 2 (!)

ROM sucked on the second rep. Shoulder started acting up. But these are supposed to be singles, not doubles. Next week is 330 for a slow, perhaps assisted single. Stick to the plan, dammit!

Reverse grip BB bench:

225 x 6, 245 x 5 (!)

owwwww. Tricep killers.

DB bench:

110 x 8, 110 x 8

Not bad at all. Felt a nice stretch at the bottom, exploded up on these. Basically a 2-1-x tempo. (There ya go, chigs)

Crossovers:

120 x 10, 130 x 10, 130 x 10.

Also painful. :D

Skulls/cgbp supersets:

120 x 8/8, 155 x 7/6 (!)

Up a rep on the skulls. Next week is 160. Decided that my work set should be about 6/6, or 6/5, considering there's no break between the lifts.

Tricep pushdowns (rope)

200 x 9

Look at all those sets! Woo!

Ah, shaddap. It was a fun workout.

Diet- decent

Sleep- sucked

Weight- I dunno. Find out tuesday.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-02-2002, 11:24 AM
why you doing bench?

Alex.V
02-02-2002, 11:26 AM
As opposed to?

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-02-2002, 11:28 AM
That damn cyber thief stole my words! :mad:

Now i gotta type them all out again...

"..doing 'singles for' bench..."

Alex.V
02-02-2002, 11:37 AM
Same reason I hit those heavy triples in the past. Strength in the bench, pure and simple. Started out with a real basic wave loading progression, from there went to simply working up to a heavy triple. That was way too exhausting, and starting to take its toll on the rest of my workout, so decided to make the final lift in the barbell bench be a heavy (but not maximal) single. Same PRINCIPLE as wave loading... without the heavy single my reps in the next few lifts may not be quite as high, and the fact that it's a submaximal single should allow me to keep progressing week to week. Has in the past.

No explicit rhyme or reason, but it's still working.

beercan
02-02-2002, 12:29 PM
That rep speed makes it even more impressive.

LOL I thought I was the only one who did power movements with a 4 second positive and a 6 second negative.

PowerManDL
02-02-2002, 01:03 PM
That was way too exhausting, and starting to take its toll on the rest of my workout, so decided to make the final lift in the barbell bench be a heavy (but not maximal) single. Same PRINCIPLE as wave loading... without the heavy single my reps in the next few lifts may not be quite as high, and the fact that it's a submaximal single should allow me to keep progressing week to week.

That's exactly what I did, although I'd hit the single early on and use it for the remainder of the BP sets.

MonStar1023
02-02-2002, 10:40 PM
Belial-
What do you think about reverse grip bench?

Alex.V
02-03-2002, 11:08 AM
Love it. Get back to that when I got more time, I'm already late for work and haven't showered yet.

Legs:

Absolutely incredible workout.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 365 x 6, 410 x 7 (!)

Having a spotter is unbelievably reassuring. Those last two reps were absolute willpower, I didn't think my legs had 'em. But they did. Cool. :) On rep 4 or so my lower back lost its arch a little bit, so I had to pause and correct. Thank SLDLs for giving my back the strength to straighten under 410 lbs.

Front squats:

315 x 6, 325 x 6 (!)

Not bad. These are a little blah.

SLDLs:

335 x 7, 405 x 8 (!)

Knew I could go higher on these. Here's where i got the bloody nose that stayed with me until the end of the workout. lol.

Leg press:

805 x 9, 915 x 9 (!)

Legs = jello.

Calf raises on leg press sled:

865 x 8, 865 x 8, 865 x 9 (!)

They cramped up pretty bad on the last rep. I was hurrying through the workout and probably didn't drink enough water between sets. Oh well.

Diet- Spot on.

That's it. Sweet. Off to work.

heathj
02-03-2002, 11:59 AM
Nice work foo. My dead will never catch up to your squat now :mad:

Alex.V
02-04-2002, 02:59 AM
Sure it will. After the awful cramping attacks I got this evening, I may be permanently crippled. lol.

Jane
02-04-2002, 03:34 AM
this evening? pffffft....looks like the blood flow to your brain has yet to return, you're confusing night and day again :)

MonStar1023
02-04-2002, 06:46 AM
Belial-
How long have you been doing this routine? Like these specific exercises etc.?

Alex.V
02-05-2002, 09:07 AM
Hey Monstar, way to get the 600th post in my journal. ;)

Been doing this routine since the journal started. Before that, it was different. And it sucked.

Back day:

Felt like absolute crap. Not enough sleep, not enough food, not enough water. And my class this morning only took 20 minutes, rather than an hour and a half. So I worked out about half an hour after breakfast. Not good.

Weighted pull-ups:

+55 x 8, +90 x 6, +117.5 x 2 + 3 long negatives, +10 shrug-downs, +55 x 7

Blah. These didn't feel good. I was weak as hell this early on in the workout.

DB/ one handed EZ curl bar rows:

110 x 10, 130 x 6, 160 x 5 (!)

I'm not moving up in weight next week, I'm going for 6 reps. Actually, the right hand got 6, and the left got 5.5, but the form was no good, so the strength still isn't there.

Bent-over BB rows:

225 x 8, 235 x 8.

Almost at my 10/10 goal. :D

BB curls:

120 x 8, 120 x 7, 120 x 5.

lol. I should start at 115 and do higher reps. My arms just kept getting weaker with each set... I was fried, and even though I was drinking water like a fiend during the workout, I was still depleted.

Weight- Weighed myself before I started drinking water... 217. Weighed myself after the workout, where I drank a HUGE amount... (And still feel a little dehydrated).... 219. I wonder what I would be at if I laid off the caffeine and actually ate enough carbs yesterday.

Diet- t'aint bad. A bit low in calories overall, and lacking in carbs. I'll get my sh*t in gear, dammit!

Sleep- again, not enough. This will also be fixed from now on!

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-05-2002, 09:54 AM
do you do full reps on the one arm EZ bar rows or does the weights either side get in the way? what's your rep tempo for them?

btw, excellent work on them. I used to do DB rows and worked up to the 70k for 12 reps [albeit the last rew were always 'halfers'.] that used to kill me!

I had to stop doing them because the DB's jumped in weight too much. If i ever stall in progression on the T bars i may revert to one arm rows using the EZ bar so i can up weight in smaller increments. Therefore, i am highly interested in them. I may give them a whirl on friday if i remember.

any closer to getting any pics up? despite what you say, Alex, 217lbs @9% bf at 5'11 is definately massive in my books dude. You're doing us proud :)

Tryska
02-05-2002, 09:59 AM

You're doing us proud :)

awww...he sure is...the big lug.

Alex.V
02-05-2002, 10:03 AM
They used to be getting in the way; I'm using smaller plates, just more of them, and pulling at a slight angle, so the ROM is pretty good. Still, it's pretty damn unstable; I think I waste a lot of energy trying to keep the damn thing from tilting over, dropping plates everywhere. Definitely use straps, it'll help. Otherwise, any faltering of grip will make you lose balance.

70k, that's damn impressive!

And thanks, guys. I'll put up pics around the spring time, I think. I need to find someone to take them, and I need to learn how to pose. lol. But they're coming.

Alex.V
02-07-2002, 09:50 AM
Damn, down on page 2!

Shoulders/deads.

Not a bad day at all. Drank lots of water, had enough time for my food to digest... only problem was sleep last night.

Seated DB press:

85x2 x 10, 95x2 x 7 (!)

Going to shoot for 8 solid reps to mouth level before I bump it up.

Lateral raises:

35 x 10, 40 x 10.

No improvement, but these felt very, very strong.

Deadlifts:

225 x 8, 315 x 5, 405 x 5, 480 x 6 (!)

A few things: All the reps except on the last set were to the floor, complete slam and full stop. This actually felt MUCH easier than slowing to within an inch. So for the heavy set, I'm going to stick to my 1" deal. I'm also considering lowering the last set to 5 reps.... those last 1-2 reps afterwards tend to be sloppy, they're not really necessary. So... I'll see how I feel next week.

Zerchers:

275 x 6, 320 x 6 (!)

hahaha. People stare at these. They DO look weird, and they make my face look like a tomato. But they felt good; just using the towel now, the pad was actually making these way too hard on the biceps.

BB shrugs:

405 x 8, 405 x 8

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 12, 110x2 x 12

Yeah, I was toast at this point. Damn.

So, decent workout.

Diet- right on, but I need to bump up the calories I think.

Sleep- 6 hours.

Weight- unknown.

Alex.V
02-09-2002, 11:52 AM
Leg strength exploding. Upper body, well, isn't.

Chest day:

Got almost no sleep last night. No complaints, but it screwed with my training. Eh, whatevah.

BB bench:

135 x 8, 235 x 5, 255 x 3, 285 x 2, 330 x 1 + 1 forced (!)

I'm staying in this region until I can do a competition-legal 330.

Reverse-grip bench:

225 x 7, 250 x 5 (!)

These are hard as ****. lol. The difficulty seems to be finding a grip that doesn't destroy my wrist.

DB bench:

110 x 8, 110 x 7

Yeah, I was shot at this point. The fact that I only had breakfast 45 minutes before going to the gym didn't help. So I regressed.

But it could have just been a bad lift, I was distracted, whatever, because:

Skullcrushers/CGBP SS.

115 x 8/8, 160 x 5/5 (!)

160 skulls are huge for me. I'm staying here next week and working on my ROM.

Crossovers:

120 x 10, 130 x 10, 130 x 10.

Incredibly masturbatory.

Tricep pushdowns:

210 x 8 (!)

Full stack plus a 10 lb dumbbell. Very unstable, though. Ah well, it was a kick.

Diet- A bit high in sodium and fat. But good!

Sleep- 1 + 4.5 hours. :cry:

That's it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-09-2002, 11:55 AM

:bow:

nice work Essa.

Pup
02-09-2002, 01:33 PM
You're a huge B!tch! :strong:

MonStar1023
02-09-2002, 01:54 PM
Belial-
Damn bro that looks like me with your sleep! Hehe.. its all good bro. I got 5 and 6 hours the past few days and last night hit up 12 hours with a 2 hour nap!

Strength looking AMAZING as usual bro.

Chris Rodgers
02-09-2002, 02:15 PM
Leg strength exploding. Upper body, well, isn't.

STFU assface!! If I had half the progression you have on your lifts I'd be breaking PLing records. Foo!!

Adam
02-09-2002, 07:59 PM
How wide of grip do you use on reverse grip bench? I find it easyest on my wrists going really wide, like pointer finger on the rings. A easy way to add weight to the stack is to put a plate on the weight selector pin.

Alex.V
02-09-2002, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys. Always good to hear. When you live with your lifts, you're never very impressed, so... thanks for the props. :)

Adam- Yeah, I noticed that somewhat. The first set was way too close, more like a close grip bench press than anything else. The second set I had my hands wider, but I think I'm so paranoid that the bar will slip out of my grip and land on my face that I end up putting it too close to my fingers, which really starts to strain my wrists (especially the left one). I'll screw around with it a bit more next week. It's a cool lift. lol.

And thanks for the plate tip. Forgot about that trick.

Adam
02-09-2002, 09:12 PM
Its very scary seeing the weight come at your face! I was doing them once with 245 or so and it fell right down toward my face, spotter grabbed it but still scary ****

Alex.V
02-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Okay, I think I may have strained a few muscle in my groin region during deadlifting. It almost feels like the beginnings of a hernia, but I'm fairly sure it isn't; i've had this pain before.

I didn't feel it today until the SLDLs, but now it's bothering me. I'll monitor it, make sure it's NOT a rupture, and possibly skip the heavy set of deads next thursday and simply rep out at 405, and maybe focus more on assistance work.

Legs:

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 365 x 5, 415 x 7 (!)

Got two spotters to help me out again. The confidence boost from this is tremendous. I thought I was toast at 5 reps, but the fact that they were there let me really push it. I think at this point I'm the second or third biggest squatter I've seen at my gym. sweet. :D

Front squats:

315 x 6, 330 x 6 (!)

Uninspired. I may drop these, or possibly drop the weight and go absolutely ATF (w/pause) on a much narrower stance. Either that, or throw in a set of box squats. :D

SLDLs:

355 x 8, 410 x 8 (!)

Serious power loss on the last rep, it was a struggle. But these felt excellent today.

Leg press:

805 x 9, 925 x 9 (!)

I just noticed today the sled is officially supposed to be limited to 900 lbs... Is this worth paying attention to? Thoughts/opinions? I know some brands can be trusted to exceed expectations, but this one (Magnum), though good, I'm not 100% sure on. I may not take these above 950-1000. Shame, I really think they're doing me a lot of good.

Calf raises on sled:

875 x 10, 875 x 10, 875 x 11 (!)

Guy next to me was doing 2 plates per side on these. Not to make fun, but.... that's 225 lbs. Now, at the angle, that's equivalent to roughly 112.5 pounds straight up and down. With both legs, each calf is therefore required to exert 56.25 pounds of pressure. What the hell? He hopes to grow by doing 10 reps of these? Do one legged calf raises at least. For him, that would probably be 165-170 pounds of resistance per calf. Ah, whatever. Just thought I'd mention. Not that I'm one of those bastards who feels the need to mock others at his gym, they're all in there lifting just like I am. But still, I wonder if some people stop and think if what they're doing is worthwhile.

So, that was it. Good workout, and the kicker:

Diet- perfect.

Sleep- 4.5 hours... ;)

Woke up late, downed my oatmeal and cottage cheese, and almost immediately ran out the door. So I thought my energy levels would be crap. Not so. Thank you, xenadrine.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-10-2002, 01:24 PM
sorry to hear about your strain :(

Hey, i never heard of magnum before, but why not use the press for real high reps and make sure it holds out each week with 925 instead of throwing weight on that may damage your health if the machine gives out.

It'd be cool seeing you write: leg press - 950lbs - 20! hahaha...

good job mah boy! :thumbup:

Blood&Iron
02-10-2002, 02:23 PM
Okay, I think I may have strained a few muscle in my groin region during deadlifting. It almost feels like the beginnings of a hernia, but I'm fairly sure it isn't; i've had this pain before.

I didn't feel it today until the SLDLs, but now it's bothering me. I'll monitor it, make sure it's NOT a rupture, and possibly skip the heavy set of deads next thursday and simply rep out at 405, and maybe focus more on assistance work.

I feel like I'm your mother, but I gotta say something. BE CAREFUL!

Calf raises on sled:

875 x 10, 875 x 10, 875 x 11 (!)

Guy next to me was doing 2 plates per side on these. Not to make fun, but.... that's 225 lbs. Now, at the angle, that's equivalent to roughly 112.5 pounds straight up and down. With both legs, each calf is therefore required to exert 56.25 pounds of pressure. What the hell? He hopes to grow by doing 10 reps of these? Do one legged calf raises at least. For him, that would probably be 165-170 pounds of resistance per calf. Ah, whatever. Just thought I'd mention. Not that I'm one of those bastards who feels the need to mock others at his gym, they're all in there lifting just like I am. But still, I wonder if some people stop and think if what they're doing is worthwhile.

Hey, maybe this was me. Sure we don't go to the same gym? I have weak calves, okay? Be nice.

Sleep- 4.5 hours... ;)

You gotta be shittin' me. I have trouble standing with just 4.5 hours of sleep.

Alex.V
02-10-2002, 02:30 PM
B&I-

I would assuming you're doing the calf raises with a slow tempo, full stretch with pause, etc. That's a completely different story from doing the little bouncing thing at high speed, no ROM, etc. You seem to work out with intensity, this was just silly.

I will be careful with the strain, I have no desire to rip something. lol. That might hinder my progress. But thanks for the concern. :) It's all good.

Robboe- good idea. I guess I'm getting plenty of intensity from the squats at this point, so I may just up the reps on the leg sled. It's already plenty heavy, I don't see myself shooting up in them anytime soon. maybe add a rep a week.

And yeah, no sleep. But no complaints. :D

Blood&Iron
02-10-2002, 02:38 PM
B&I-

I would assuming you're doing the calf raises with a slow tempo, full stretch with pause, etc. That's a completely different story from doing the little bouncing thing at high speed, no ROM, etc. You seem to work out with intensity, this was just silly.

Actually, calf raises are the one place I use a bit of a fast cadence. Still slower than 99.9% of the people you see. I think my problem is I use a a very large ROM. I'd say even the people that do calf-raises properly use 1/2 the ROM I do. I must be super flexible or something, I go from my foot forming a 70-80 degree angle with my ankle to approaching a 180 degree angle.

chris mason
02-10-2002, 04:47 PM
How are you coming up with the 925 lbs on the press? What I mean is that 10 plates per side would be 900 lbs, then you would add a 10 and a 2.5 lb plate to each side, a 2.5 lb plate??? Are you including an estimated weight of the apparatus itself, or are you using 2.5s on the leg press?

Alex.V
02-10-2002, 05:13 PM
Sorry chris, I'm using the weight of the sled as well, which is labeled as 45 pounds.

ericg
02-11-2002, 06:41 AM
you are a strong mofo!!

chris mason
02-11-2002, 11:03 AM
Whew! I thought you might be using 2.5s on the leg press, I was gonna have to smack you around a bit!

Franco
02-11-2002, 11:48 AM
Great work Al:thumbup:

Are you planning on competing in Pl'ing or BB'ing in the near future?

Alex.V
02-12-2002, 10:11 AM
hehe. Funny you should ask that, I'm trying to decide which one. Honestly, my chest and arms are really crappy compared to the rest of my build... I honestly don't think I have the genetics there for BBing. But we'll see. I'm working on them, and there's some improvement, but not a huge amount.

As far as powerlifting goes, my lifts are respectable, but not for my weight. I'd really have to crank them up, but I don't think I could stand cutting like mad to lose some mass. Vogelpohl is squatting 1000 at ~4 pounds heavier than I am. That's just not right. I realize it's an extreme, but it goes to show that there are MUCH stronger mofos than myself out there at my weight. And my bench, honestly, sucks.

Back day:

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 7, +120 x 1.5 (!) + 3 long negatives, +55 x 7

Ouch. NO strength on 120. Dammit. I'll be there for a while I think.

DB/one-handed EX curl bar bent-over rows. (Long title, eh?)

110 x 10, 130 x 7, 160 x 6 (!)

These are jumpin' next week. Wuhoo. These feel like they're gonna take my arms out of my sockets. I love it. What I wouldn't give for heavier dumbbells though... Still, I'm getting the hang of balancing the EZ curl bar.

Bent-over BB rows:

225 x 10, 235 x 9.5 (!)

Almost at 10/10. Would have had to use a little too much body english for rep 10 at 235, but these felt strong as HELL today. The first 6 reps or so at 235 were easy sh*t. Next week I'll hit 10/10, then I'll bump each set up 5 pounds.

BB curls:

120 x 8

Decided these aren't doing it right now.

Concentration curls:

45 x 8, 45 x 8, 3 long negatives with 50 lbs.

I know why my biceps are lagging... they're WEAK. Okay, no, they're just destroyed after the back workout. But I gotta do something about them. Honestly, this uber-foo-foo exercise felt good. Right now, what's important is finding a single isolation exercise that I can do with strict form that doesn't torque my elbow (like alternating DB curls) or wrists (like BB curls). Concentration curls may just be it. Damn. Before ANYBODY says ANYTHING about my choice of silly exercises and decides to laugh.... you'd better out-squat me by at least 100 lbs.

Werd.

;)

Diet- pretty good. A bit low in calories. I'm making up for that right now, though.

Sleep- 7 hours. Missed my first class. Whoops.

That's it.

MonStar1023
02-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Belial-
EXCELLENT strength as usual bro. Damn what a workout! 160 lbs. one-arm DB rows. And your natural!? Jesus. Scary sh*t. Pull-up strength is incredible.

Blood&Iron
02-12-2002, 10:31 AM

These are jumpin' next week. Wuhoo. These feel like they're gonna take my arms out of my sockets. I love it. What I wouldn't give for heavier dumbbells though... Still, I'm getting the hang of balancing the EZ curl bar.

Why don't you invest in some heavy-duty DB's that can be loaded with Olympic plates and take 'em to the gym. A guy at my gym uses these, and they seem to work pretty well.

Concentration curls:

45 x 8, 45 x 8, 3 long negatives with 50 lbs.

I know why my biceps are lagging... they're WEAK. Okay, no, they're just destroyed after the back workout. But I gotta do something about them. Honestly, this uber-foo-foo exercise felt good. Right now, what's important is finding a single isolation exercise that I can do with strict form that doesn't torque my elbow (like alternating DB curls) or wrists (like BB curls). Concentration curls may just be it. Damn. Before ANYBODY says ANYTHING about my choice of silly exercises and decides to laugh.... you'd better out-squat me by at least 100 lbs.

You really like concentration curls? I've done 'em from time to time, but they really don't seem to be nearly as good as regular BB curls. Personally, I've been struggling to find a replacement for my current bicep exercise, but nothing seems to come close to isolateral spider curls for intensity(Technically, these are very similar to concentration curls, but they sure feel different.) But what the hell do I know? My biceps *really* suck, as you've now surely seen.

I'm still laughing, though. Just 'cause everything else about you're routines is super hardcore. Then there's "Concentration Curls" staring me in the face. The contrast is just too much. Just don't kick my ass, okay?

Alex.V
02-12-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by MonStar1023
And your natural!?

148, 4.5%(141 lbs LBM) to 221, 8.5-9% (202.2 lbs LBM) in a year and a half. Care to do the math?

90% of WBB is already aware, but I may as well come somewhat clean in the journal. In Sept/Oct I did a cycle of EQ, 300mg/week for 8 weeks. There was some fina in there, but a miniscule amount. Kept all my gains (~15 lbs LBM), continued to improve in size and strength.

Will I continue to use after college is over (a few months)? I'm close to where I want to be... 225-230, 6-7%. When I hit that, I'll train purely for strength, possibly Olympic lifting.

I believe anabolics can be used safely, and a combination of low dose AAS, intelligent training, proper diet, etc. etc. can have spectacular results. I never once claimed to be natural, and though I have told almost everybody who I felt I could trust (since this board IS public, and anybody who does some digging could find out a great deal of information about me), I wouldn't want to give anybody false hope that they could gain 61 lbs LBM in a year. The results without gear have nevertheless exceeded my wildest expectations, so I have no complaints. Or regrets. I do not want to be on for life. There are health risks. I'll never screw with GH, slin, or even dbol, anadrol, etc. It's simply not worth it. The EQ was great... improved recovery, good steady strength increases, and it saved me during a two week bout with e.coli, where I was sh*tting blood for a week and could hardly sleep at night. I lost a single pound those weeks. Without the EQ, I might have lost 10. So, for what it's worth, the timing could not have been better.

Word.

Alex.V
02-12-2002, 10:41 AM
B&I- I might give those spider curls a try, actually.

But I KNOW I didn't catch you laughing. Between the concentration curls, cable crossovers, and occasional leg extensions, I'll be one buff dude, and I'll whup your butt.

Blood&Iron
02-12-2002, 10:49 AM
B&I- I might give those spider curls a try, actually.

But I KNOW I didn't catch you laughing. Between the concentration curls, cable crossovers, and occasional leg extensions, I'll be one buff dude, and I'll whup your butt.
LMAO

I'm sure you could handily whup my a** already. But if it came down to it, I could bust out my Ninjutsu skills and incapacitate you with laughter, allowing me to quickly run away.

Tryska
02-12-2002, 10:54 AM
:clap:

yay...belial came out of the closet! hee ..just kidding man.

word.

Alex.V
02-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Hardly closeted. :)

T, let's see who knew:

Pup, chicken, Latty, beercan, GB, chris mason, you, IceR, Jane, Hulk, Sav, Ronan, DL, Yates, Tadger, Maki, Spidey, B&I, Reinier, heath.... sure I'm missing a few. lol. I have nothing to hide, and B&I was right... I'm strong enough in my convictions.

Tryska
02-12-2002, 11:00 AM
i know man. that was why i found it funny. even though a lot of us knew, everyone still kinda acted liek it was the "love that dare not speak it's name" *lol*

and above all else, to thine own self be true. i think you did real good, planning your cycle the way you did, and your results are quite impressive.

Alex.V
02-12-2002, 11:02 AM
btw, I'm also quitting smoking cold turkey today. I picked it up again after that hellish exam week last semester, and though it's only been a few cigs a day, it just doesn't go with my lifestyle. It's still leftover bullsh*t from when I was a lazy, out of shape mediocre human. lol. So that's going again. Wish me luck. Down with hypocrisy!

Tryska
02-12-2002, 11:03 AM
well there you have it. something to give up for Lent, and then forever. :thumbup: good luck!

Blood&Iron
02-12-2002, 11:08 AM
btw, I'm also quitting smoking cold turkey today.
Sorry for f*cking up your journal, but I can't help myself. The first time I read this sentence I was like "Huh, he smokes his own turkey?" Just didn't parse right. Show my level of intelligence, I guess.

Feel free to invoke your powers as a moderator and delete this sh*t, now.

BTW, I'm always right. At least in my own demented mind.

MonStar1023
02-12-2002, 11:19 AM
Belial-
Youve done one cycle of EQ then? Thats still not THAT big of a deal. I thought you were natural. I dont know why.. not because of your strength or anything like that just because I always assume everyone @ WBB is 100% natural. I am not sure why.

Alex.V
02-12-2002, 11:27 AM
Well, WBB's focus has always been training and nutrition. Honestly, I think it's borderline retarded how many anabolics boards there are out there, where it's obvious that many of the users have no clue about either of the two REAL key factors.

This is part of the reason why they make their gains and lose them as quickly as they come. So, I hate the association. And I dislike the insinuation (ahem, heath), that all my gains have been due to gear. That's bullshit. But it gives some people an excuse to explain their own lack of progression. That also makes me somewhat mad. :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-12-2002, 01:16 PM
I don't think it matters whether he was on gear or not.

Gear doesn't take you to the gym on a training day, or lift your ridiculously high weights [contrary to what a certain person may say]. Gear doesn't tell you when or what to eat and at what time. It also doesn't wash your George Foreman grill.

Gear does, however, allow you to train with more intensity, more often. It aids your recovery provided you are getting sufficient nutrients, sleep[we'll ignore this part eh B ;)] and rest.

Gear is like the ultimate supplement but without the hard work, dedication and general all round hardcore lifestyle, you're just a clueless bench-curl jockey who will most likely waste a few hundred dollars on a cycle for an eight-week ego boost.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-12-2002, 01:16 PM
Edit: "Bench-Concentration curl jockey" ;)

Alex.V
02-12-2002, 05:47 PM
Edit: "Bench-Concentration curl jockey" ;)

You're just jealous of my hyooge gunz.

And thanks for the words, I agree completely.

Chris Rodgers
02-12-2002, 07:09 PM
Damn! If gear washed the George Foreman grill, I'd start a cycle. ;)

YatesNightBlade
02-13-2002, 02:44 AM
Juice heads all of ya.

Jane
02-13-2002, 07:22 AM
I picked it up again after that hellish exam week last semester, and though it's only been a few cigs a day, it just doesn't go with my lifestyle.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Deadlifters dont smoke.

That is all.

Jane
02-13-2002, 07:24 AM
good words CD :)

Alex.V
02-13-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Jane

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Deadlifters dont smoke.

That is all.

Damn right. 40 hours without even a drag and doing fine.

Jane
02-14-2002, 07:05 AM

Alex.V
02-14-2002, 09:22 AM
Make that 66 hours, give or take.

Shoulders/deadlifts:

Okay, decided to try something different with the deads. Back off on weight, and do my heavy set as high rep singles... just under a second pause on the floor, tear it up, keep the reps above ten, go up ten pounds a week.

Seated DB press:

85x2 x 9, 95x2 x 8 (!)

Blah. Sloppy. Not moving up next week.

Lateral raises:

35 x 10, 40 x 10.

Ooh, tremendously exciting. Love the way the shoulders look when i'm done, though. hehehe.
(shut up.)

Deadlifts:

225 x 10, 315 x 8, 425 x 15 (!)

That counts as a PR. There's no way in hell I thought I could live through this. But I love it. Next week, 435 for at least 14. Latty, you suck! lol. You should never have told me how fun high rep deads were.

Zerchers:

275 x 6, 325 x 5.5 (!)

When I hefted the 325, I thought "You must be kidding me", but the reps went okay. I think I made too much noise, though.

BB shrugs:

405 x 8, 405 x 9

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 14

hehehe. Fun.

Anyway, that's it. Thoroughly exhausted.

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 6.5 hours.

That's it!

heathj
02-14-2002, 09:29 AM
Pfftt..don't make me try those high rep deads..!!

Franco
02-14-2002, 10:56 AM
Good work especially on the Zerchers.

Do you go to failure on the Zerchers?

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-14-2002, 10:57 AM
Deadlifts:

425 x 15 (!)

:omg:

Alex.V
02-14-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by FAngel
Good work especially on the Zerchers.

Do you go to failure on the Zerchers?

Thanks man. It's pretty damn close to failure, it takes a lot of effort to get the bar off the knees on the last rep.... but usually nausea/fatigue sets in before I reach muscular failure. lol.

Chris Rodgers
02-14-2002, 11:03 AM
Yea, me too. Imagine going to failure without being in the power rack!! :eek:

Alex.V
02-14-2002, 03:10 PM
I'd think it would be fairly easy to unload. Might take your kneecaps off, but... hehe.

btw, my arms look like crap right now. lol. Red lines, bruises, etc. It's almost as cool as bloody shins. :D

Alex.V
02-16-2002, 10:24 AM
Chest day.

Trying something a bit different. Right now my bench is decent, but it would NOT suffice in a PL comp, because there is absolutely no pause at the bottom. My problem (and I think this might also explain the lagging chest) is that I tend to do the bottom portion of the movement very quickly, the stretch reflex carries it through the reverse. SO, I'm going to do some work designed to bring up the strength in the bottom portion.

Flat bench:

135 x 10, 230 x 6, 255 x 3, 280 x 2, 315 x 2, 255 x 4.

The 315 was done with a 4-1-x tempo, and it was hard as HELL. My spotter helped it off my chest on rep 2, there just wasn't the strength with the pause. Jesus christ, that's humbling. The last set was done explosively, 3-.5-x, but I stopped at so few reps because of my weak rotators.

Reverse grip bench:

225 x 7, 255 x 4 (!)

Triceps were gone. lol.

DB bench:

110x2 x 8, 110x2 x 6

Also with a slow tempo, and a pause at the bottom. Ouch.

DB flyes:

55 x 10, 60 x 8, 60 x 8.

Yes! foo-foo exercise. It gave my chest a nice pump. Yeah. You like that, all you wannabehardcore mofos?

;)

Skullcrusher/CGBP supersets:

120 x 8/8, 160 x 4.5/5

Went down here because my right elbow had a bit of a twinge in the bottom part of the motion, and I did the rep a bit too fast... the bar almost REALLY broke my nose, and it was a lot of work tryin to get the damn thing back up. oops. Stupid. Chalk that up to fatigue.

Tricep pushdown:

210 x 8.

Weakness in the triceps is in the fully stretched position, so I made sure to do a full ROM. Very nice.

Diet- right on.

Sleep- 8 hours. :D

That's it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-16-2002, 11:04 AM
firstly, why is it you do a tricep exercise before even finishing your chest? is it becuase you're on the bench and it's just practical?

secondly, Skulls. Do them on the floor (seriously). That way even without a spot you can just throw the bar behind your head and onto the floor if any problems arise. It's much better than doing on a bench too - much much ore support.

good work tho man.

Alex.V
02-16-2002, 11:14 AM
Where's the tricep exercise? The reverse grip bench isn't meant really for triceps, but they were still fatigued when I hit the lift... I think part of the early failure is also my wrists... Ah well. I honestly like these because I need to do them lower down on the chest... slowly. They force me to concentrate on a full ROM, and let me keep my elbows in a bit more...

Actually, forget all that. I do them because they're damn cool. Word.

And the skulls... well, if I fail, I just bring the bar down to my chest/stomach and sit up. :) Yay for strong abs. That's how I go down/get back up anyway.

But I'll give them a shot from the floor next week, see how that goes. Thanks for the tip. :D

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-16-2002, 11:22 AM
when you do reverse grip, do you not find that you hold the bar above your torso a bit lower? eg normal grip = over mid-chest area whereas reverse grip = more lower chest/upper midsection area.

When i do them i find there's more tricep involvement cause of this, so that's why i said it was a tricep exercise.

btw, it's just fully dawned on me that you then proceed onto the 110lbers for two sets after this. I've only just started getting up the 99lbers for like 4 and even that is at the start of my session when i'm fresh! You're an animal man :bow:

Jane
02-17-2002, 07:53 AM
*moo*

Alex.V
02-17-2002, 12:51 PM
*neigh*

Mixed bag today...

Legs:

Worked out with a friend, hoping to get her to become a regular at the gym again. She likes running *shudder*.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 7, 315 x 6, 365 x 6, 420 x 7 (!)

Okay, this was just nasty. Got a bloody nose halfway through the last set., I REALLY need to learn how to breathe better, this can't be doing me any good. Could also be the xenadrine not helping the situation. Either way, squats today were ace.

Front squats:

315 x 6, 335 x 6 (!)

Not going ATF on these anymore, actually doing a somewhat wider stance. But I'm feeling them in my quads, and the stress is different from regular squats, so....

SLDLs:

385 x 8, 410 x 9 (!)

No need. Back down to 8 reps next week. But.... bitchin'.

Leg press:

805 x 9, 925 x 8.

No progression here. I was BEAT.

Calf raise on sled:

905 x 8, 905 x 8, 905 x 9 (!)

GROW, dammit!!!!

Anyway..... Decent workout overall.

Diet- Blah. Had work yesterday, so I crammed my cals in early in the day. A bit low in calories overall, especially carbs. So... 6/10.

Sleep- 6 hours. heh. :)

That's it...

Jane
02-17-2002, 01:33 PM
Stop scaring people with your bleeding nose. :)

Lol, you know you'll be the talk at that dinner table tonight.
"Whoa...dad and I were at the gym and this massive guy's nose exploded!"

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-17-2002, 03:09 PM
damn.

there's me thinking my front squats were good...

unev_en
02-18-2002, 10:42 AM
Ever tried seated calf raises? I've been doing them for a while, generally using an 8-12 rep range for three sets, and have noticed significant improvement. Genetics may, and probably do, of course, play a significant role in said growth, but still...

Alex.V
02-19-2002, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I wish I could. Unfortunately, there's no seated calf raise machine at my gym. :(

Ugh, again, a back day with no strength for the first few minutes...

A friend of mine was in, I showed him sumo deads... he looks like he's got potential with them, so we might actually work on getting his lift up. The guy weighs 130, but after a month of doing conventional deads he pulled 225 on his second try with sumos, without too much difficulty. This should be interesting.

Anyway, so that was cool.

Weighted pull-ups:

+55 x 8, +90 x 6, +120 x 1.5 + 3 negatives, +55 x 6.

These actually went down a little. I think the two pounds of steak in my stomach and the gallon of water this morning may have increased my bodyweight somewhat, though. lol. So I'm not too worried, especially considering how the other lifts went.

DB/one-handed EZ curl bar rows:

110 x 10, 130 x 6, 165 x 5.5 (!)

5.5 reps in each hand. Holy crap... these were hard. Staying here next week. *retch*

Bent-over BB rows:

225 x 10, 240 x 8.5 (!)

Next week, 230 x 10, 240 x 9 will be my goal.

Barbell curls:

120 x 8.

Forgot, it's concentration curl time!

40 x 8, 40 x 8, 40 x 7.

Wow. Humbling. But my gunz were pumped, yo. lol. Wow, I'm gonna lose respect around this place REAL fast. Anyway....

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 7 hours.

That's it.... off to class in a bit.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-19-2002, 10:04 AM
B, can you explain exactly how you position yourself for the EZ bar rows please?

btw, what is your tempo for these?

Alex.V
02-19-2002, 10:11 AM
Okay, assuming I'm using my right hand:

Well, with the dumbbell, my left leg is kneeling on the bench, left arm grabbing the front of the bench, right leg back slightly and out to the side for stability, plane of my back parallel to the ground. I pull the dumbbell, elbow in, up to the outer part of my ribcage.

With the EZ curl bar, the length means I have to adjust a little bit. I bring in my right leg, and move it forward a little bit to compensate and maintain stability. The leg is basically directly under my hip, bent slightly. This of course could technically make it possible to cheat, so discipline is pretty key... that leg does NOT straighten. Ever. Back still parallel to ground. Now, the bar is no longer pointing straight forward and backward, either, because it still has to clear my leg. So it's at a slight angle, the rear part pointing slightly outward, the front plates coming up more towards my face (rather than the side of my head). A little awkward at first, but eventually stable enough. My hand is gripping the center part, double strapped, and I'll test the bar a few times to make sure my grip is perfectly centered before I start my reps.

Tempo is ~2-1-2, coming to a complete stop at the bottom (but no actual pause, stop and go.)

Alex.V
02-20-2002, 09:50 AM
Hmm, I wonder how long till 10,000 views. :D

Fart Barker
02-20-2002, 04:52 PM
you beast ;)

Alex.V
02-21-2002, 10:38 AM
lol. Awesome. Thanks for immortalizing that, I can't believe I missed it.

Shoulders/deads:

Crap. Woke up late, scarfed down breakfast, and class ended early. So I still had a full stomach and empty muscles (haha) by the time I hit the gym. Focus was off, and strength was low. Dammit dammit dammit.

Seated DB press:

85x2 x 9, 95x2 x 7 + 1 10 second negative.

Just didn't have the strength for 8 solid reps. Wow. Still yawning at this point in the workout.

Lateral raises:

35 x 10, 40 x 10, 40 x 8

Deadlifts:

225 x 8, 335 x 8, 435 x 13.5 (!)

As long as these stay over 10 reps, I'll keep going up ten pounds. Holy hell these SUCK. lol. :D Failed on lockout, back started bending, said "screw it".

Zerchers:

315 x 6, 315 x 6.

Started low, came to a complete pause at the bottom of each. That pause is what did me in.

BB shrugs:

415 x 8, 415 x 8 (!)

Not sure how worth it the weight increase is.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 14

Diet- Not bad. meal timing a bit off, though.

Sleep- 7 hours.

that's it...

ericg
02-21-2002, 10:57 AM
Hey B:

Was wondering what for you use on your lateral raises? Elbows bent (how much)? How high do you elevate your arms? Are they standing? Do you cheat (even slightly)? Do you hold at the top? Pause at the bottom?

Thanks man

Alex.V
02-21-2002, 11:01 AM
Elbows bent maybe 10-15 degrees, hard to say. They're done pretty slowly, I don't pause at the top, but it's not a "tossing" motion. Put it this way, I ATTEMPT to pause, it creates discipline, and stops your from just swinging the weight out there. Arms go straight out to the sides. Yes, I do them standing. The last rep might have a little cheating involved, usually that means bending the arms a tiny bit more. :)

Alex.V
02-23-2002, 11:48 AM
Chest/tris.

My shoulder's been bugging me since thursday, so I'm going to make my next couple of chest days light... No more singles or triples. Today was fairly light, didn't strain myself too much.

BB bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 255 x 6, 275 x 4, 295 x 5 (!)

5 reps at 295 felt harder than the heavier singles.... I think it'll do me good, I might progress from here.
Then I did a few paused reps with 225. 3 sets of 3, with a 4-2-x tempo. These were fun.

Reverse-grip BB bench:

225 x 8, 255 x 5.5 (!)

DB bench:

110x2 x 8, 110x2 x 8

Ouch.

DB flyes:

60x2 x 8, 65x2 x 8, 65x2 x 7

Skullcrushers (Threw out the CGBP, all it was doing was giving me a pump. lol)

120 x 8, 140 x 8.

I like the lower weight... this isn't an ego exercise.

Tricep pushdowns (with rope)

225 x 6, 200 x 6.

Blah.

So, overall a decent workout, if somewhat higher volume. I'm a little tired, not looking forward to sitting at work for 6.5 hours today.

Oh well.

Diet- pretty good.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

That's it.

Alex.V
02-24-2002, 12:04 PM
Bah. Between a 7 hour shift at work (read: protein bars) and going out drinking last night, I'm amazed I made it to the gym at all today.

So, energy levels sucked, especially in the beginning. Bah.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 365 x 6, 425 x 6.5 (!)

Spotters might have given me some help, for some reason stability was a bit off. F*ck me. So I decided to punish myself:

Box squats:

315 x 6, 315 x 6.

bwahahaha. Ow. Okay, the weight is weak. But these felt... interesting. I might do them for a few weeks instead of the fronts.

SLDLs:

385 x 8, 415 x 8 (!)

Good. Strong.

Leg press:

815 x 8, 925 x8

Good strength, considering how wiped I was.

Calf raises on sled:

925 x 11 (!), 905 x 10, 905 x 10

Diet- Ehhh.... I mean, protein bars are, well, protein, and I had almost enough carbs.... I think my main problem was dehydration. So diet= decent.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-24-2002, 03:04 PM
Holy smokes Latman, that is one badass Stiffy. :eek:

hey, what's the ROM like for the sled calf raises?

chris mason
02-24-2002, 04:40 PM
Do you perform your stiffs from the floor, or on a platform of some sort?

IceRgrrl
02-24-2002, 04:45 PM
Holy smokes Latman, that is one badass Stiffy. :eek:

Hmmmm...CD commenting on B's stiffy...not sure what to think about that...

Alex.V
02-24-2002, 05:23 PM
Gosh, I saw that you posted in my journal, and I got all excited. Then I see that abomination you call a post.

*sigh*

Chris- I do them keystone style, off the pins and down just past my knees. I couldn't stiff legged over 400 off the ground. hehe.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-25-2002, 04:04 AM
And my question?

Alex.V
02-25-2002, 11:28 AM
Ah, the ROM is complete. Full extension, full contraction, so there are no limits because of the sled.

IceRgrrl
02-25-2002, 11:38 AM
Gosh, I saw that you posted in my journal, and I got all excited. Then I see that abomination you call a post.

*sigh*

Sorry...I couldn't resist :D

It's all CD's fault for starting it anyway...

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-25-2002, 11:38 AM
How come?

I tried them on the leg press (although it's prolly a different design) and i couldn;t really get the stretch all the way down. Also, having all that weight above me only being supported by my fore-foot was a terror :eek:

i tried the hack machine with a small block of wood under my food. It was semi-effective, but i still didn;t get a full stretch y'know.

If only the damn gym got a free weight standing calf raise :mad:

Alex.V
02-25-2002, 11:47 AM
Well, I don't unlock the handles, so it wouldn't have far to fall. ;)

It could very well be a different design; some of them just don't have a place to stretch your heels out. I dunno man, tried one legged standing calf raises with a heavy dumbbell in one hand?

ElPietro
02-25-2002, 11:54 AM
Question on your SLDL's...just wondering if you feel that the shorter ROM the way you do them is helping as much or not? I've only seen one other guy at my gym ever doing SLDLs and he had a much shorter ROM than I do...sorta how you described it...I thought it was just bad form or not proper ROM...but wondering your thoughts.

Chris Rodgers
02-25-2002, 12:00 PM
I perform this this way also. When I go down to about mid-shin my hammies feel like they are gonna rip off the bone! This as as far as I can go before my back would round.

Alex.V
02-25-2002, 12:01 PM
Well, my hamstrings are almost fully stretched at the bottom of the movement, I can certainly use a good amount of weight on these, and I definitely feel they're helping my squat/deadlift.

So are they effective? I've got no doubt they are. How do you do your SLDLs?

unev_en
02-25-2002, 12:05 PM
I stand on a small platform and lift the weight off the floor. Then again, I'm also short...

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-25-2002, 12:11 PM
I find that since i've been doing stiffs my squat has gone up - mostly because i have to lean forward loads when i squat. My lower back now has the strength to lean forward lots and yet not fall stright down. it's helped immensely.

IceRgrrl
02-25-2002, 12:13 PM
Sorry to further clutter up your journal, B...but I'm trying to attone for my post earlier...don't want you to be mad at me ;)

Isn't ROM on SLDL really a function of your current flexibility too? If you have a lot of hammie flexibility, you can go lower with the weight. If you have tight hammies, going too far can really do some hurt/damage...

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-25-2002, 12:15 PM
I hope you realise that it is only you commenting on my commenting of Belial's badass stiffy. Perv.

And you teach school children! tuttut

Alex.V
02-25-2002, 12:16 PM
Yeah, hammies and glutes. Without rounding my back, I really can't bend over too far at all, hands to just below knees is about as far as possible. Any further, and I'd either snap my hammies or round my back, neither of which sounds like a good idea.

Your posts are never clutter, dear.

Alex.V
02-25-2002, 12:17 PM
I hope you realise that it is only you commenting on my commenting of Belial's badass stiffy. Perv.

She was the only other person looking?

;)

IceRgrrl
02-25-2002, 12:18 PM

And you teach school children! tuttut

B doesn't mind me commenting on his stiffy...:angel:

I teach college kids...who are probably spending more time studying stiffies than their calculus homework. :D

Sorry, B...your journal is taking a beating today...

Alex.V
02-25-2002, 12:21 PM

B doesn't mind me commenting on his stiffy...:angel:

Naw, as long as all the comments are good. And how could they not be?

I'm going to report all this degeneration to a moderator.

Oh, wait.

IceRgrrl
02-25-2002, 12:24 PM

Naw, as long as all the comments are good. And how could they not be?

I'm going to report all this degeneration to a moderator.

Oh, wait.

Maybe you and your stiffy need to go moderate yourselves....:angel:

Chris Rodgers
02-25-2002, 12:27 PM
Is anyone else getting a stiffy from Icer talking about stiffies??

Alex.V
02-25-2002, 12:28 PM

Maybe you and your stiffy need to go moderate yourselves....:angel:

Will you moderate it for me? :D

IceRgrrl
02-25-2002, 12:31 PM
LMAO! I supposed I deserved both of those comments :eek:

I have to go give an exam...if that doesn't kill the mood, I don't know what else will.

Alex.V
02-25-2002, 12:34 PM
Ah, way to dodge the question.

Chris Rodgers
02-25-2002, 12:39 PM
A physical exam??

ElPietro
02-25-2002, 02:40 PM
*raises hand for an exam*

ok on SLDLs this is perhaps how I tore my hamstring. I go pretty low...I have pretty flexible hamstrings from martial arts etc...so maybe that allows me to go a bit lower...but again working with heavy weight maybe it's not such a good idea. I may limit my ROM from now on to protect my hamstrings a bit...although I've thought of going to conventional deads too...

Alex.V
02-25-2002, 02:53 PM
I did martial arts religiously for 7 years, (up until a few years ago), and I was extremely flexible then, I can still get fairly close to a full split. But if you look at the waist/hips of somebody bent over, hands to knees, doing an SLDL like these, you'll see that there's very little extra stretch the hammies could undergo, much more and it would be seriously stretching the muscles (for me at least). That, under a heavy load, could be ugly as you well know.

chris mason
02-25-2002, 05:58 PM

*sigh*

Chris- I do them keystone style, off the pins and down just past my knees. I couldn't stiff legged over 400 off the ground. hehe.

Ok, I was getting scared. That is still a lot of weight!

Alex.V
02-26-2002, 09:15 AM
hehe. That would be a little insane. But thanks. :)

Back day:

Again, woke up late, scarfed down breakfast, and only spent 20 minutes in class due to a test. Not good, so I was working out depleted, with hard to digest food in my gut. Bleh.

Weighted pull-ups:

+55 x 8, +90 x 6, +120 x 1.5 + 3 negatives + 8 shrug-downs, +55 x 7.

No progress here, but I'm amazed I actually got those 1.5. Standing up, the belt felt heavy. lol.

Bent over DB/One handed EZ curl bar rows:

110 x 10, 130 x 8, 165 x 6 (!)

Damn. Staying here next week until there's NO cheating. NONE. heh. i think I twitched a bit on the last rep.

Bent-over BB rows:

230 x 10, 240 x 8.5 (!)

Okay, it was 9 reps, but I had to jerk the bar a little bit. Staying here until I've got 10 solid.

Concentration curls:

I'm not even listing the weight. I'm too ashamed that i'm doing these in the first place. 3 sets, 10 reps. hehe.

Diet- Damn good.

Sleep- 2.5 hours sunday night, 8 hours last night. So, average.... sucks.

That's it. Off to more classes.

Alex.V
02-26-2002, 09:53 AM
haha. I just realized... over 700 posts, close to 10,000 views. I liek my jurnel. Hulk, how many pages can a thread get before it glitches? Should I start a new one?

Fart Barker
02-26-2002, 12:51 PM
narcissistic s.o.b. :rolleyes:

haha just kiddin... great job man, you're an inspiration, that's for sure :D

Alex.V
02-26-2002, 02:09 PM
lol. Narcissistic? Not nearly as much as I should be, I suppose.

(Joke, joke. ;) )

Thanks, tho. :)

Tryska
02-26-2002, 02:13 PM
it's all about you, b.

Alex.V
02-26-2002, 02:17 PM
:zipit:

Alex.V
02-28-2002, 11:07 AM
Not a bad day overall... I'll be switching a few things up, though.

Shoulders/deadlifts:

Standing BB military press:

135 x 8, 155 x 8, 165 x 8.

Not bad.... getting the feel of these again. I'll be doing these until I hit 200 for reps, I think, then I'll go back to dumbbells. Felt good, it's a solid feeling lift.

Lateral raises:

35's x 10, 40's x 10, 40's x 10

Deadlifts:

225 x 8, 315 x 6, 405 x 4, 445 x 10.5 (!)

These are just draining. From now on, I'll start going up 5 pounds from here, and keeping my reps low. But there will be a complete reset between every rep, including letting go and standing up. This means no straps. Should be interesting. If I can't progress with these, I'll re-evaluate, but eventually working to 5-6 reps at 500, which will essentially be singles, should actually translate to a solid 550 max dead. That should be in about 3 months... Not too bad.

Zerchers:

315 x 6, 320 x 6.

Fun. Felt like puking.

BB shrugs:

405 x 10, 405 x 10, 405 x 6.

No straps on the last set, almost dropped the bar on my foot.

So, overall a good workout... poundages weren't incredible or anything, but I feel like I'm getting stronger still.

Diet- perfect.

Sleep- 7 hours.

Marcel
02-28-2002, 11:17 AM
what a strong mofo...great job B

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-28-2002, 11:31 AM
I'm getting tired of congratulating you on your deadlifts so i'll just say, and despite the fact you said they were "not bad", that i'm more impressed with your Military weight than anything else. Just doing 20k a side is hard enough for me right now, nevermind 27.5k! :eek:

ElPietro
02-28-2002, 12:08 PM
That's too much weight for any heterosexual man to lift.

Alex.V
02-28-2002, 12:17 PM
Thanks y'all, especially you pietro. ....I think. No, wait...

Chigs- How do you do the military presses? I think I'm gonna love doing these. How do you get the bar up? Do you rack it from high? I'm hang cleaning it up, but that's gonna get tough later on. You keep your legs close together, or spread slightly?

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-28-2002, 12:30 PM
high rack.

shoulder width feet.

knees slightly bent to take pressure off lower back and spine.

the knees never lock again - doing this is hard tho, cause you just want to cheat lol.

The thing i'm still working out is hand placement - eg to have a slightly wider grip or slightly narrower grip. Any input?

ElPietro
02-28-2002, 12:32 PM
Do you guys press infront or behind the neck?

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-28-2002, 12:39 PM
infront.

Alex.V
02-28-2002, 12:44 PM
In front.

My hand placement this time around was just wider than shoulder width... my pinky was on the ring. You notice more/less power with a wider grip?

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-28-2002, 12:48 PM
Less, but i think it's cause it use more shoulders and less tris right?

also, i do presses after chest work so my arms are already fried as it is, so it seems like putting my triceps in a stronger position (narrower) is prolly the better choice - i'm able to get a better delt workout without my tris giving out before my shoulders are thoroughly fatigued.

sound aight?

Alex.V
02-28-2002, 01:04 PM
Yeah, makes sense to me. I'd feel weaker if I narrowed my grip much, though. So I guess it depends where our particular strengths lie.

Alex.V
03-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Damn. My shoulder's holding me back again. Back when I first started working out, I had problems with my right one... from shot put, martial arts, football, etc. So benching was tough at first, but eventually the problem subsided as the shoulder got stronger. Now, months and months of heavy singles and triples have started taking their toll. I think I backed off not a moment too soon. There's definitely discomfort at the bottom of the movement, especially when I touch my chest, (I'm working on finding my ROM), and that tanks my strength.
Blah.

Anyway, mixed up a few things today:

BB bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 255 x 4, 275 x 4, 300 x 4.5 (!), 235 x 3

This will stay here (at 300) until I can do 5 solid reps comfortably. The last set was a 4-2-x tempo.

Reverse-grip BB bench:

225 x 6, 260 x 4.5 (!)

Same deal. Here until 5 solid.

DB flyes:

60 x 8, 65 x 8, 65 x 8

Whoopee.

Weighted dips:

+90 x 8, +115 x 8, +115 x 7

Just getting back into these... Not anywhere near my old poundage (+160 at one point), but I'm also about 30-40 pounds heavier. So once I get used to them again I should bounce back up.

Tricep pushdowns (rope):

210 x 8, 225 x 7 (!)

Here until I can get 8-9, because the next plate that'll fit will make the weight 235.

Diet- Not too bad. Had to load up on carbs before work, so I'm looking kinda smooth today... hopefully today I'll bring some better food to work, but I'm going out tonight... hopefully I won't screw up my leg day with too many drinks.

Sleep- 7 hours.

Bah.

IceRgrrl
03-02-2002, 02:25 PM
Take care of that shoulder, B...that can be a bitch to recover from, and I know how annoying it is when it gets in the way of your workout :(

Don't fleece too many dumbasses out of their cash while you're at work today ;)

Blood&Iron
03-02-2002, 02:46 PM
What happened to the cable-crossovers?
Actually, as far as foo-foo stuff goes, I do like DB flyes better(Doing 'em flat irritates my shoulder too much though.)

BTW, why don't you throw in some l-flyes if your shoulder is bothering you that much? Might help.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-02-2002, 05:15 PM
Well if your le day fucks up mine will too, cause i'm piss-mortal right now...

Blood&Iron
03-02-2002, 05:28 PM

Don't fleece too many dumbasses out of their cash while you're at work today ;)
Do you still work at GNC, Belial? Just curious if this is a reference to that.

Jane
03-02-2002, 06:37 PM
No, he's a certified massage specialist now.

Alex.V
03-02-2002, 07:58 PM
I don't fleece anybody, IceR. I'm one of the good guys, remember? Still haven't sold a single bottle of creatine serum. lol.

Cable crossovers... it's been too tough finding that station open. So it started out of necessity.... but the flyes do feel somewhat less foo-foo.

Yeup, B&I, still working at the GNC. Doc was nice enough to come by and chill, relieving my boredom for the last 15 minutes or so till closing.

Jane- erotic massage is not a recognized specialization.

Blood&Iron
03-02-2002, 08:02 PM
I don't fleece anybody, IceR. I'm one of the good guys, remember? Still haven't sold a single bottle of creatine serum. lol.

I could never bring myself to sell one of those either(Even with a $4 PM) Just seemed wrong.

Now, on the otherhand I was happy to whore myself selling Hydroxycut and Xenadrine. Took awhile before they broke me though. At first I refused to play the game. But at $5.15 an hour base rate, one's moral qualms quickly fade into nothing.

Alex.V
03-02-2002, 08:06 PM
Well, then again, I love xenadrine, so I have no qualms about selling it... after the requisite disclaimers, telling them to get their diet in order, making sure they go to a gym, etc.

You know what pisses me off, though? There are $5 PMs on that Klein-Becker crap. You know, the 180 capsule bottle of ECAs that sells for $100, Cutting gel, that night-time "Somnabol" protein that's $60 for 2 pounds.... The entire company is a huge scam... I can't believe we stock that worthless crap, easily priced at 200% of its competitors, just because it labels/boxes everything to look "pharmaceutical".

Rant over.

Blood&Iron
03-02-2002, 08:12 PM
Well, then again, I love xenadrine, so I have no qualms about selling it... after the requisite disclaimers, telling them to get their diet in order, making sure they go to a gym, etc.

You know what pisses me off, though? There are $5 PMs on that Klein-Becker crap. You know, the 180 capsule bottle of ECAs that sells for $100, Cutting gel, that night-time "Somnabol" protein that's $60 for 2 pounds.... The entire company is a huge scam... I can't believe we stock that worthless crap, easily priced at 200% of its competitors, just because it labels/boxes everything to look "pharmaceutical".

Rant over.
And they named their company so people would confuse them with Smith-Klein Beecham.

IceRgrrl
03-03-2002, 04:12 AM
I was just kidding around, B ;)...I think you would have a lot of good advice and background information, unlike 99% of the GNC employees that I've ever run into.

Fart Barker
03-03-2002, 05:10 AM
Do you guys sell this garbage? (http://www.ultralab.com/beast.htm)

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-03-2002, 01:30 PM
Well if your le day fucks up mine will too, cause i'm piss-mortal right now...

It didn't :angel:

Alex.V
03-03-2002, 03:33 PM
Fart- yeah, we actually sell that crap. lol. But the same bottle's been sitting in the cabinet for as long as I've been working there... So I guess we really DON'T sell it. ;)

Awesome leg day. Glad yours went well too, chigs. Stayed up until 7AM, went to bed until 11, finally got up at 3:30PM, went to the gym. Drank a little last night... So you'd think conditions were absolutely awful.

Not so, really.

Back squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 370 x 6, 430 x 7 (!)

Damn.... This time I only had one guy spotting me, just fingertip assist on the elbows. That's all I needed....desperation/fear kept the muscles working. lol. Awesome. Felt really strong. No wobbling, no lower back weakness, nada.

Box squats:

315 x 6, 335 x 6 (!)

Have no idea if that's good weight. But it was hard as hell.

Front squats:

315 x 6

DEEP. One set of these from now on. Not going for PRs, they're just for quads. Screw poundages.

SLDL's:

385 x 8, 425 x 8 (!)

Nice. Working on going low... gotta watch the arch in my back, though.

Leg press:

855 x 8, 945 x 8 (!)

Ouch. Failure here, had to use my hands to get my knees off my torso. lol.

Calf raises on leg press sled:

945 x 8, 945 x 8, 945 x 10 (!)

If this doesn't work, I'm getting implants.

Diet- Not bad... took it easy on the protein bars, just drank a lot of water during my shift. Ate plenty before I left, and a little bit when I came back. So it was all good. :)

Sleep- Not enough, but I'll catch up tomorrow.

Hot Shot
03-03-2002, 06:01 PM
430lbx7 on squats OMG!:omg:

Alex.V
03-05-2002, 04:18 PM
Pretty good back day...

Didn't get much sleep at all last night, but woke up this morning, had bread instead of oatmeal (faster digestion), and loads of water. It seemed to help.

Apparently some dude was looking for me this morning.... went up to the guy that I was showing deadlifts to and asked him "where the big guy was", because he needed someone to show him how to do power cleans, and he figured I'd know. hehe. That was kinda cool. Anyway, it's gratifying to have people ask you for advice, whether it's because of the weight you're using, your form, unique lifts you do (i.e. Zerchers), or body. Whatever. Made me feel like I'm accomplishing something that other people are starting to notice. :)

Anyway...

Weighted pull-ups:

+55 x 8, +90 x 4 (?), +135 x 1 (!) plus two negatives, +55 x 6

No idea what happened on the second set, so I decided to load some weight on and just see what I could do. I'll probably stick to this progression, and eventually try to get to 3 reps with 135. It was painful...

Bent-over DB/one handed EZ curl bar rows:

110 x 10, 135 x 6, 175 x 5 (!)

Actually, it was 5 in the right, 4 + 1 cheat rep in the left. Three 25's per side on the EZ curl bar... this will stay here until I've got six solid. The bar can't really hold much more without getting unstable anyway.

Bent-over BB row:

230 x 10, 240 x 9.5 (!)

This also stays until it's 10/10. Then I bump each up 5 lbs. Felt strong, though.

Biangular lat row:

(Made by Magnum fitness systems. http://www.magnumfitness.com/420.htm)

I guess I tried these because I wanted to check my progress. This time last year, I was struggling with 2 plates per side for a few reps. So I loaded on 3 per side. Did 8 fairly easily. Loaded 4 per side. Did 6 reps, but number 6 was hell. Not bad, considering how far through my workout this was. So... yeah. This was nice. Unfamiliar motion, but my strength has more than doubled here. I guess the machine is 25 pounds, there's actually not a huge amount of mechanical advantage, but that's still 385 pounds on a row.

Finished up with some concentration curls. Forced reps here, absolute failure. Tried one set of incline alternating DB curls. Hell. Felt nice.

Diet- Excellent.

Sleep- 4 hours. bahahahahahahahahahahahahaaazzzzzzzzzz.......

And that's it.

heathj
03-05-2002, 04:27 PM
4 hours. Good job..almost down to my sleep pattern.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-05-2002, 04:35 PM
That row thingie = blatant hammer strength rip off. They're practically the same machine.

BTW, that EZ bar row is just down-right...{--insert really cool describing word here--}. Nice work :thumbup:

heathj
03-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Superfandittilyastic?

Alex.V
03-05-2002, 04:44 PM
Chigs- yeah, I figured that's what the hammer strength thingy looked like. You ever used one? (And if so, how do you like 'em? I like being able to use different grips... easier than the BB row)

Oh, and tanks. :) I'm going to be stuck at that weight on the "DB rows" for a few weeks at least, I think. Now that the motion is becoming more natural, I'm starting to hit the limits of my strength. You're a beast on these too, tho.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-05-2002, 04:46 PM
I have yes, there's one in my gym. I like it, but like all other hammer strength equipment there is a fookin' annoying sticking point from the arc the machine follows. You know what i mean by this?

B&I knows what i mean if i mention the sticking point on the hammer strength pulldown.

MonStar1023
03-05-2002, 07:30 PM
Belial-
I am curious about the way that you train bro. Do you do your 1RM like every now and then or what? I am kind of confused because sometimes youre maxing out and then sometimes your not etc.

Alex.V
03-05-2002, 07:36 PM
The only lifts I come close to 1RMs on are my flat bench (which I'm no longer doing singles on), and my weighted pull-ups. The pull-ups, I do negatives and shrug-downs on, so I feel I'm still getting sufficient stimulation, even if there's only a single concentric.

Alex.V
03-07-2002, 10:58 AM
Shoulders/deads.

Not a bad day at all. I decided to try the multiple single approach to deadlifts, and it worked beautifully. One rep at a time, full reset, pause, pull. THESE definitely translate to overall deadlift power.

Standing military press:

135 x 8, 155 x 8, 170 x 7.5 (!)

Not bad at all. The ROM on the last set suffered a little bit, the last rep was a push press more than anything. But I'm definitely feeling these in my delts.

Lateral raises:

35 x 10, 40 x 10, 40 x 10.

These are relatively easy, but still feel good.

Deadlifts:

225 x 5, 315 x 5, 405 x 5, 450 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 (!)

Yeah. Not exactly a huge amount of reps, but each and every one of these was an absolute single. Even though I was doing more weight for more reps before, the ROM was sometimes not so great (not a full reset), and I lacked confidence in the pull. Now.... they're solid.

Zercher squats:

315 x 6, 335 x 6 (!), 405 x 2.5 (!)

:D I don't know where the hell these came from. I loaded up the bar to do my shrugs, and figured why the hell not. So I grabbed two guys and asked them to spot me, maybe give me a forced single. Instead, I did 3. But they did help me a bit on the third, definitely. I had to sit down after these, they were ******* intense.

BB shrugs:

405 x 8

Ready to go home at this point.

DB upright rows:

65x2 x 8, 70x2 x 8

I staggered out at this point.

Diet- right on.

Sleep- 6 hours.

The zercher surprised the hell out of me, especially after the heavy deadlifts. It's gonna catch up to my back squat. hehe. okay, maybe not.

PS- my arms hurt.

ericg
03-07-2002, 11:07 AM
sweet

:thumbup:

Chris Rodgers
03-07-2002, 11:08 AM
Nice F'n zerchers!!!!!! :eek:

Ya damn freak you!

IceRgrrl
03-07-2002, 01:41 PM
Nice workout, B...your intuitive experimentation seems to be working well for you :)

Pup
03-07-2002, 02:50 PM
WTF is a zercher and is it ok if i do it high?

MonStar1023
03-07-2002, 05:49 PM
Belial-
I am kind of confused bro. Why do you do Zerchers on your shoulder/deadlift day?

:confused::confused:

Jane
03-07-2002, 05:50 PM
LOL

Alex.V
03-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Wow, 2 days and the journal's buried. Damn.

Chest day:

Shoulder still bothering me. grrr. Not good. So I took it easy again... being so ginger about it is costing me in strength, though.

BB bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 260 x 3, 280 x 3, 300 x 5 (!)

Not bad. Again, I may stay here next week. Who knows. I actually did 6 reps, but the guy helped me a little too much on one.

200 x 10.

Did a long, slow set of paused reps, 4-3-x tempo. These actually felt good. They stretched my shoulder, but didn't hurt it.

DB flies:

65 x 8, 65 x 8, 65 x 7.

Hmm, bothers the shoulder a little unless I put the DB's at a slight angle...

Reverse-grip BB bench:

225 x 8, 260 x 5 (!)

Not bad. Needed MINOR assist on the last rep, but I coulda got it.

Weighted dips:

+90 x 8, +125 x 6.

Damn. Weak compared to how I was before. grr. Well, whatever. They're climbing.

Tricep pushdowns:

225 x 8, 225 x 7.

Strong again. Not sure why I'm doing these. Screw it. Might be overtraining my triceps some. These are getting dropped.

Diet- perfect.

Sleep- 6 hours. Woke up early... for no reason. Blah. :(

That's it.