PDA

View Full Version : HEY, why not.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

MonStar1023
03-09-2002, 06:39 PM
I am currently trying to decide what kind of program I want to use. And you have been using the same split for 9 months now right? You have been getting stronger for 9 months straight!? What's your secret? I cant figure it out man.

:eek::eek:

Orange357
03-09-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by MonStar1023
I am currently trying to decide what kind of program I want to use. And you have been using the same split for 9 months now right? You have been getting stronger for 9 months straight!? What's your secret? I cant figure it out man.

Can i see a copy of your routine and split. please.

Alex.V
03-09-2002, 07:32 PM
Split, again:

Monday- rest

Tuesday- back/biceps:

Weighted pull-ups, slow pyramid up from warm-ups.
2-3 sets DB rows
2 sets bent-over BB rows
2-3 sets of curls

Wednesday- rest

Thursday- deadlifts/shoulder work

2-3 sets seated DB press or standing military
2 sets lateral raises
Deadlifts, slow pyramid up from warm up
2 sets zerchers
2-3 sets shrugs

Friday- rest

Saturday- chest/triceps

BB bench, slow pyramid up from warm up
2 sets DB bench *cut out*
2-3 sets flyes/crossovers
2-3 sets dips/skulls
2 sets reverse-grip bench

Sunday- legs

Squats, slow pyramid up from warm up
2 sets front squats
2 sets SLDLs
2 sets leg press
3 sets calf raises.

That's essentially it, with minor modifications. I've never worried about cutting, since I started so lean, so 9 months of bulking on low volume means 9 months of progress. I think what makes this work for me is that I've had so long to figure out what my body is capable of, rather than hopping from one program to another. I'll throw in assistance work, drop an exercise, add an exercise, and fine-tune the routine to emphasize my weak points.

Also, the pressure to add weight every week has forced adaptation. lol. I don't know how else to describe it. I KNOW I'll move up 5 pounds in my squat every week (at least, for the time being), so there's never self-doubt. Plenty of inspiration out there, including other strong mofos on this site that I want to keep pace with.

I think that's what's important, monstar. Find a routine that works for YOU. Don't just copy what other people write down. Use sound principles, take ideas from people, but listen to yourself. And give it time.

Oh, and eat. :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-09-2002, 07:35 PM
Steak.

Orange357
03-09-2002, 07:39 PM
thanks.

MonStar1023
03-09-2002, 07:56 PM
Belial-
I dont get it about your Zerchers. Arent they for your legs? I cant decide between Zerchers or leg presses on leg day...

Orange357
03-09-2002, 08:04 PM
fuk leg presses

Alex.V
03-09-2002, 08:14 PM
Well, I like the zerchers for my deadlift... they're essentially the same motion as far as mechanics go... thought the bar is higher up on my body, it lets me sink down lower than I would have to for a regular deadlift. So in that respect, I think they belong where they are. But i haven't been doing them all that long... we'll see. :)

What's the rest of your leg routine? if you already have a variation of a squat, I wouldn't bother with the zerchers... use the leg presses after you're done with your squatting motion, and kill your legs on those without having to worry about form.

Jane
03-09-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Belial
Plenty of inspiration out there, including other strong mofos on this site that I want to keep pace with.

Damn straight.

Watch out, my DB bench is climbing. :strong:

Alex.V
03-10-2002, 12:24 PM
Pretty good leg day... could have been better, could have been much worse. Actually did a heavy single on squats. Missed it, but given the progression up to it, I'm not surprised.

Back squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 380 x 6, 435 x 7 (!), 500 x .5

Shite. Well, it was on impulse. I felt strong on the 435 set, so I decided why the hell not. haha. *ahem* Well, I'm kinda pissed. Because I had it. I was just fatigued. The initial lift was easy, the bar didn't feel all that heavy on my back, the walkout was fine, setting my feet up was easy, the initial 3/4 of the descent felt strong, but as soon as I hit parallel, WHAM, strength tanked. So my spotters gave a bit of assist bringing it up a few inches, then I took it back up and re-racked. So, not bad. I may try again in a few weeks. That would be shweet.

Box squats:

315 x 6, 345 x 6 (!)

Pretty good. Definitely right at my sticking point, these. Not sure how much they're helping just yet, but the weight is climbing.

Front squats:

315 x 6

Just keeping the motion practiced.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 430 x 8 (!)

Pretty strong. ROM suffering, I'm staying here next week.

Leg press:

855 x 8, 945 x 8.

Nothing exciting here.

Calf raises:

945 x 8, 945 x 8, 945 x 8, 765 x 18.

OWW. That last set burned. But these feel good. And I rolled up my sweatpants during my set. Maybe my calves aren't that tiny after all... they looked all right while I was doing my set. heh. No, they still suck.

Oh, some guy came up to me and asked me if I was a powerlifter. I said I was thinking about doing it, and asked him why he asked. He said "Because you move a lotta weight."

So that was good to hear. :D We chatted for a bit between my leg press sets... reality checks are always nice.

Anyway, that's it. Good workout, I'm quite sore.

Diet- perfect.

Sleep- 8.5 hours. WUHOO!

out.

Chris Rodgers
03-10-2002, 03:57 PM
Amazing lifts fruitcake!!

Alex.V
03-12-2002, 12:17 PM
Thanks!

I think.

Wow, second page. Anyway...

Not a bad back day. I think I'm coming down with something, so I felt a little weak today. It's all right, I still managed to progress in some lifts.

Weighted pull-ups:

+55 x 8, +90 x 5, +135 x 1, +2 negatives and 6 shrug-downs, +55 x 6

One-handed rows:

110 x 10, 135 x 7, 175 x 6 (!)

Staying here until I can get 8 without cheating.

Bent-over BB rows:

235 x 10, 245 x 8.5 (!)

9, but I cheated a bit. Staying here until get 10/10.

Bi-angular row:

400 x 5 (!)

One set. For fun. 4 plates plus change per side. I actually really like these... the motion is very natural, and resistance is fairly constant throughout. I might rotate these in somehow.

Curls:

.... :p

(i.e., 3 sets)

Diet- not so great... work yesterday. hehe.

Sleep- 8 hours. :D

That's it....

ericg
03-12-2002, 12:21 PM
Bi angular??

Alex.V
03-12-2002, 12:22 PM
http://www.magnumfitness.com/420.htm

been told it's just like the Hammer Strength machine.

ericg
03-12-2002, 12:24 PM
coo

the doc
03-12-2002, 12:24 PM
"Bi-angular row:

400 x 5 (!)

One set. For fun. 4 plates plus change per side. I actually really like these... the motion is very natural, and resistance is fairly constant throughout. I might rotate these in somehow. "

*** this is my favorite machine. I would definitely try and work it in! The other one i like is the biangular lat pulldown after some chins. Definitely hits the lats very hard but you dont neeed any help there...lol

MonStar1023
03-12-2002, 01:37 PM
Belial-
Wondering a few things bro. With your routine you dont have a problem doing deads with only one day rest after your entire back workout? Like you do back on Tuesday, and then heavy deads on Thursday? I would think that your back would be beat from 2 days before. Also arent your shoulders sore when you hit up chest on Saturday? Since youre training your delts on Thursday?

:cool::cool:

Alex.V
03-13-2002, 08:22 AM
Nope. (Obviously not. ;) )

My back day primarily hits my lats. Deads are mostly lower back, glutes, and hamstrings. The muscles worked are different enough that there's minimal overlap.

My delts seem to recover very quickly... I actually do relatively little direct shoulder work, precisely so that they're not destroyed by the time saturday rolls around.

doc- I've seen that thing, it looks interesting. I might give it a try next week, it looked kinda awkward, but if you say it's good, it's worth a shot. (And re: the lats.... never big enough. But thanks. :D )

the doc
03-13-2002, 09:09 AM
b, it might be good to do later in the workout since your already doing 400+ lbs

I like to use the center grip (partially pronated) and really concentrate full arm retraction and squeezing together of the shoulder blades

Alex.V
03-14-2002, 11:28 AM
Shoulders/deads.

Well, between my twitchy shoulder and legs and back (which are still a little beat from last sunday's squat attempt), I've decided to take it easy on this day. In fact, I may do this for a while, at least until I get that 500 squat. :)

Decided to do deads first. No belt, and no straps. Kept the reps low, just did a bunch of singles. Though there are reps listed, there was a pause, stand up, and shake off before going back down for the next rep.

Deadlifts:

225 x 7, 315 x 7, 405 x 5, 455 x 2, 405 x 2

So, not bad. Fun doing these completely raw, definitely more challenging.

Zerchers:

315 x 6, 340 x 6 (!), 405 x 4 (!)

Some help on those last ones, and ROM sucked for one of them, but they felt good.

Standing military press:

135 x 8, 165 x 7, 175 x 7 (!)

Staying here until I got 8 solid. May take two weeks, since I'm not really pushing it.

DB Upright rows:

65x2 x 8, 65x2 x 8

Taking it easy here. Finished up with some rotator work (Cubans).

Diet- sucked. Was at work.

Sleep- 8 hours.

And I'm out. :D

MonStar1023
03-15-2002, 12:32 AM
Damn INCREDIBLE poundages on those Zerchers man. Keep up the excellent work bro.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Alex.V
03-15-2002, 10:56 PM
Thanks man. These are beating the hell out of my arms, though. lol. I think that's the limiting factor right now, I could probably do another rep if I didn't feel like my forearms were going to tear off.

MonStar1023
03-15-2002, 10:58 PM
Damn man its understandable with 400 lbs. in your elbow gap! What do you think of DB upright rows? Never done them personally. How do they compare to BB or ez-curl bar?

MonStar1023
03-16-2002, 08:36 AM
... Also man what do you think of standing overhead presses compared to DB presses or BTN presses?

Alex.V
03-16-2002, 09:32 AM
DB upright rows... I like them a lot more than BB or EZ curl bar upright rows... they give me more control, especially over wrist position. at the top, the DBs are at a 45 degree angle (outer plates down)... this feels much more comfortable.

Seated DB presses are still excellent... hard to judge right now which I prefer, these or BTN presses. BTN presses are just uncomfortable for me. It's a stretch getting the bar down there. Some people are better built for these than others. I happen not to be. The standing militaries let me cheat, which, if I use it correctly, is good. (Can force reps by push-pressing.) Also, getting the DB's up to my shoulders usually strains my rotator muscles. Not good.

Alex.V
03-16-2002, 11:40 AM
Okay, my shoulder's bugging the hell out of me. I'm going to take it light, and I mean light, on bench for the next few weeks (and on my shoulder day) until I feel confident I'm not hindering the healing process. The shoulder's definitely why my bench is stagnating, and continuing to press the issue obviously won't help.

So I'm working for hypertrophy right now. But I'm also ironing out the weak points in form, working on getting the bar through the sticking point as fast as possible, etc.

BB bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 275 x 5, 300 x 3, 235 x 6

The 300x3 was obviously not "light." It was on rep 3 that my shoulder started hurting, so I stopped right away.

200 x 10

Again, slow, controlled, exploding off the chest. 4-3-x

185 x 3 x 3 x 3

Explosive, fast reps. Trying to keep form tight here.

I'm going to rotate these two from week to week, doing the slow paused reps one week, and the three rapid sets of explosive reps the next. I like 'em both.

Flat DB bench:

110x2 x 10, 110x2 x 10

DB flyes:

65 x 8, 65 x 8

Close-grip bench press:

185 x 8

Weighted dips:

135 x 6 (!)

A PR, because I weigh 32 pounds more than the time I did 160 for 5. :) These are slowly catching back up.

So, an unusual chest workout. I'm going to be a little underwhelmed by the weights I'm using for the next few months, but better that than injuring myself and not benching AT ALL for the next few months.

Diet- decent. A bit light in calories yesterday.

Sleep- 7 hours.

That's it.

Fart Barker
03-16-2002, 12:45 PM
Belial,

Have you tried any of those joint relief supplements?

Alex.V
03-16-2002, 12:46 PM
I'm seriously considering starting Glucosamine again... MSM as well. Was there anything else you had in mind?

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-16-2002, 12:47 PM
Chondroitin.

Fart Barker
03-16-2002, 12:50 PM
Not really, my shoulder has been bothering me a bit too, probably not as bad as yours. I almost bought some of that Knox Nutrajoint today. I don't know how effective it is though.

Alex.V
03-16-2002, 12:52 PM
Chigs-- Glucosamine/chondroitin is what I took before, so it's what I'd take this time. Who knows... I think a lot of it may be the ligaments in the area, not the joint itself. Bah, who knows. I just need to take it easy.

Alex.V
03-17-2002, 12:28 PM
Leg day:

Not bad overall. Feeling a little weak in the beginning, right hip acting up a little again. Decided to do the sub-max single at the end, it worked out.... okay.

Back squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 380 x 6, 440 x 7 (!), 465 x 1.5 (!)

The set at 440 was actually 8 reps, but the ROM on two of them was....not so good. I might end up reducing this to a six-rep set... as I get close to failure I start reducing the ROM so I can make 7... this is missing the point. same deal with the 465 set... I wanted to get 2, so the first had a shitty range, probably not even parallel. So i went down again, but didn't have it. Lesson learned, I guess.

Box squats:

315 x 6, 350 x 6 (!)

These are good. Spacing my hands wider and pulling the bar down across my shoulders "sets" my shoulder girdle better. Good strength coming up, especially on the second set.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 435 x 8 (!)

Watching these in the mirror... definitely need to keep an eye on the arch in my back. It'd be mildly retarded to injure myself on these.

Leg press:

855 x 8, 965 x 8 (!)

This is 65 pounds over the weight limit for the sled. I might drop it down and bump up the reps... but actually topping out the machine with 12 plates per side would be kinda fun... in an ego boosting sort of way. hahaha. er, right. Anyway, last rep @ 965 was complete failure, I could hardly stand up after it was done.

Calf raises on sled:

965 x 10, 965 x 8, 765 x 20 (!)

The last set was the hardest, definitely. These are hurting, but... doc can tell you, it's all pretty pointless. I'm still walking on twigs. But that's okay.

Anyway, doc came down, saw him as I was finishing up on the leg press... so he can vouch for my walking funny. heh.

Diet- Pretty good... slightly lower in cals than I'd like.

Sleep- 6.5 hours.

That's it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-17-2002, 12:37 PM
Nice man. I know what you mean about the arch in the back from Stiffs. That's all i focus on when i do them :) (my arch not yours ;))

heathj
03-17-2002, 12:40 PM
Yeah suuure CD...oh yeah I was talking to this kid at my school..he said the point of SLDL's is not to go heavy weight...he said they're for stretching..I was like, uh huh, ok..you're wrong, but people like you never change your views...god damn closed minded people...oh well...he won't go far.. :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Haha actually, funny you should mention that now. Today a lad came up to me and told me to use the wooden platform so i could "get a really good stretch" in my hammies. I just told him i didn't like using it.

Incidentally, i do SLDL's more for lower back strength so it doesn't give out on my squat as easy.

Alex.V
03-18-2002, 11:56 AM
I swear, I would be surprised to even have people in my gym who know what they ARE. Let alone have an opinion on them.

the doc
03-18-2002, 01:07 PM
agreed b, i get very funny looks when i load up the bar and grunt loadly on those...lol

belial can testify to the fact that our gym is full of daft sods, curl jockeys, and anorexic chicks

of course with some interspersed hotties for motivation and viewing pleasure

it was funny as b was doing his leg press and these guys were just watching him like he was some kinda freak...lol

Tryska
03-18-2002, 01:09 PM
i heard b. shows out in the gym by hogging all the plates for his legpress.

:hide:

Blood&Iron
03-18-2002, 01:20 PM

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 435 x 8 (!)

Watching these in the mirror... definitely need to keep an eye on the arch in my back. It'd be mildly retarded to injure myself on these.

Hope you're not twisting your head to watch your form on these during the above sets, as you can really hurt yourself this way. If you do that, make sure the weight is not taxing--though maybe 405 ain't a big deal to you. Just a word of caution.

Alex.V
03-18-2002, 01:31 PM
B&I- Nope. I appreciate the heads-up, but I'm watching them from straight ahead, and I can see when my gut moves out, and chest stops protruding. There's a definite shape to my torso (when seen from the front) when my back is properly arched. It's obvious when the shoulder blades start rotating forward, etc.

405 ain't bad, but if I wanted to look at my back from the side, I would probably drop it down to 315 or so, just so there'd be sufficient weight to actually see how my body reacts under load.

Doc- lol, I bet you get some looks. I don't even notice people watching anymore. If so, it's usually when I work legs or chest. Amazing, you'd think with all the bench and curl jockeys, we'd have some bigger benchers. Ah well. Yeah, I'll testify to the extreme un-hardcoreness of wilrec... but there ARE some hotties there, huh? ;) Myself excluded.

err, jk

Adam
03-18-2002, 01:35 PM
How high is your box for the box squats? 350 for 6 is a hell of alot on those!

Alex.V
03-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Below parallel for me (2 inches below?), it's actually a bench since I can't get a real 12" box. On that kind of box, I could probably do a bit less. But I would never go much lower than the bench gets me, because I simply can't. My hips don't have the flexibility, they'd get wrenched out of their sockets. lol. But it's deep enough to be competition legal (easily), and it's right below my sticking point.

the doc
03-18-2002, 04:54 PM
goddamn b, the fuking gym was never as crowded as it was tonight- full of curl and bench jockeys

I just walk around with that "get the fuk outta my way look" and i didn't have to wait once ;)
of course the power rack was open though

I saw a couple of cheerleaders there- they were actually rather homely looking (ie not so hot)...lol

there were many hot chickas though!!!

Jane
03-18-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by the doc
I just walk around with that "get the fuk outta my way look" and i didn't have to wait once ;)
of course the power rack was open though

Haha, I think I've perfected that look.

Scary.

I'm also jealous of your power rack

the doc
03-18-2002, 06:02 PM
haha i only know of one chica at our gym who has the look and she is a pseudo bb

girl when you get to college (at least at duke) you'll never, and i mean never have to wait for a power rack (which is actually quite sad)

Jane
03-18-2002, 06:18 PM
Oh I generally don't have to wait. But it's not a power rack either.

Crappy metal piece of junk...*kick*

Ow.

Maki Riddington
03-18-2002, 06:48 PM
Belial, I'm curious, are you going ass to the floor when you squat 440x6 or are you hitting just parallel? Are you using a belt and/or wraps?

Thanks.

Alex.V
03-18-2002, 10:54 PM
Belt, no wraps, as low as I can go. Which is just below parallel (2" or so from the side view) with my stance (ultra wide, feet touching the sides of the power rack). Never claimed a 440 ATF squat... that would be insane.

How do you squat?

MonStar1023
03-18-2002, 10:55 PM
Damn 2 inches below parallel is still REALLY f*cking low...

Alex.V
03-18-2002, 11:18 PM
Heh. Well, let me clarify. My heavy set tends to go like this:

Rep 1: 2" below
Rep 2: 2" below
Rep 3: parallel
Rep 4: 2" below
Rep 5: barely scraping parallel
Rep 6: parallel
Rep 7: I don't f*cking know, my eyeballs are bleeding.

:D

MonStar1023
03-18-2002, 11:21 PM
Haha thats my boy... squatting like its his job. Keep it up bro, how much you weighing now? You ever gonna post some pics?

:thumbup::thumbup:

Alex.V
03-18-2002, 11:26 PM
hehe. Thanks man, not planning on quitting anytime soon. :)

I'm still around a lean-ish 220, but I'm carrying more pudge than I'd like around the lower back and obliques... So I might actually cut to 215 or so... really slowly, and try to keep all my strength and muscle. So I'll post some pics then... hopefully when I have a tan. lol.

I might also start backing off on the poundages here and there... it's starting to catch up with me, so I might need to re-evaluate pushing myself so hard each and every day. My shoulders and hips are having trouble, and my lower back is being a little cranky. We'll see.

MonStar1023
03-18-2002, 11:42 PM
Belial-
Yeah man cutting to 215 tanning and posting some pics sounds like a good idea...

;);)

MonStar1023
03-18-2002, 11:43 PM
And yeah I would think that your poundages would catch up to you! Jesus 450 lbs. squats and SLDLs and 400 lbs. Zerchers!?

Maki Riddington
03-19-2002, 12:04 AM
I don't mean to take away anything away from your very respectable lifts or anything I was curious. I always squat ATF.
Hopefully when I reach my goal I will have someone take some pics of myself squatting.
Your still a monster though!:)

the doc
03-19-2002, 09:52 AM
i can testify to the fact that b is quite huge as we go to the same gym

also, b. you might just want to drop some of the volume of your workout and/or increase recovery time

the latter has really help me

Alex.V
03-19-2002, 09:53 AM
Gotcha, Maki. But I wouldn't want anybody getting the wrong idea. :)

Back day:

Not too bad. I'm tweaking a few things here and there, chiefly the weighted pull-ups.

Weighted pull-ups:

+0 x 8, +90 x 8, +135 x 1.5 (!), +55 x 7

For the 135, I use toe assist on each rep... maybe 1-2 pounds on the first, and 5-10 on the second... I'm going to gradually give less and less assist through each part of the motion, and hopefully in a few weeks I'll have 2 solid, unassisted reps with 3 plates.

Bent-over DB/1 handed EZ curl bar rows:

145 x 8, 175 x 6.5 (!), 110 x 10.

Decided to drop the 110 set in the beginning, but the 175 was a bit less than satisfying, so I chucked it in at the end. Bah. Nothing tremendously exciting here.

Bent-over BB rows:

235 x 10, 245 x 9.5 (!)

Both these go up next week.

Bi-angular (hammer strength-esque) row:

405 x 6 (!)

Okay, rep 6 was maybe as much a lower back exercise as anything else. But the negative was slow and controlled. So it counts, dammit.

Concentration curls:

PLGMW (puny little girlie man weight) x 10, PLGMW x 8, PLGMW x 8

I was done by this point.

Diet- pretty good.

Sleep- 6.5 hours. Doh.

*yawn*

Alex.V
03-19-2002, 09:55 AM
doc- I dunno about huge, but thanks anyway. :)

Good point about dropping volume... I think I'm getting a little carried away here, and with the rep range I'm working in, and the amount of lower back lifts I'm doing, an even lower-volume approach might be warranted. Any suggestions for particular days? T'would be much appreciated. ;)

the doc
03-19-2002, 10:15 AM
perhaps since your lower back is feeling stressed, drop the bb rows (:eek:they kill my back) and do more of the biangular or t-bars.
you could deadlift every two weeks instead of every week

also to man you could increase your rest time. no reason to stick to a weekly (7day) rotation. I mean mason works his parts like every 14-21 days- not that you need to go that long but for instance i really am liking this 10 day rotation- but i am an old man ...lol

the doc
03-19-2002, 10:17 AM
the poundage you are doing is very heavy and certainly not typical for someone on a 7 day split right?

Alex.V
03-19-2002, 10:41 AM
True.... I suppose the bi-angular rows are a good sub. The deadlifting, yeah... I guess I'm going to at the very least go light on these, probably keep the weight at 405, just do a few reps off the floor (no straps) to keep my grip strong, and the form down. No sense working these, they should go up anyway provided I keep hitting my squats and SLDLs heavy.

It'd be hard to mix up the 7 day rotation... time is limited, and between my job and classes, I might end up getting thrown completely off.... too many things need to be scheduled. But I agree, that would be ideal. It may take some calendar rearranging, but should be possible to give a few more days off.

Thanks man. Good suggestions.

mesmall
03-20-2002, 12:46 PM
For the love of god man......make this journel a sticky. I found it half way down the second page. :D Anything with this many views deserves to be up front. Very impressive lifts by the way.

Alex.V
03-20-2002, 01:16 PM
lol. I think several people would have my head if I did... but making good journals stickies... now there's an idea.

And thanks. :)

Alex.V
03-21-2002, 10:18 AM
Shoulders/deadlifts day. Like I said, I picked a single lift and went heavy with it... in this case, rack deadlifts. (4" or so.... hard to tell).

Deadlifts:

225 x 8, 315 x 6, 405 x 2

Rack deadlifts:

495 x 3, 500 x 3 (!)

Okay, not that impressive from 4" up. But that's still more weight than I've ever held in my hands. Definitely felt these in my back. Nice.

Zercher squats:

345 x 5 (!)

(Did these from a lower starting position than usual) Felt pretty strong. Actually missed the first try due to bar imbalance. Ouch. My arms hurt.

Standing BB military:

145 x 8, 175 x 8 (!)

Might stay here next week until they feel solid. But the clean getting it up is easy. Good, this won't be limiting me for a while.

Lateral raises:

40 x 8, 40 x 8, 45 x 7

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 12, 110x2 x 12

Overall, a pretty good day. I'm tired, but not blasted. This is good, tomorrow will be a full day of absolutely nothing but recovery, and I should go into the weekend strong.

Diet- Pretty good.

Sleep- 6 hours. :( doh.

Blood&Iron
03-21-2002, 10:45 AM

Rack deadlifts:

495 x 3, 500 x 3 (!)

Okay, not that impressive from 4" up. But that's still more weight than I've ever held in my hands. Definitely felt these in my back. Nice.

I'm disappointed in you.tuttut

Shoot, I was doing 420 for 5 on these for awhile. You're about 100 times stronger than me. I figure you should be doing at least 700-800lbs. Although, you probably will be next time you do them.(You can't be freakin' human, I swear.)

BTW, I'm just giving you sh*t(In case you think I'm being serious.)

Alex.V
03-21-2002, 11:15 AM
Aww, great. Now I'm going to try six plates next week and hurt myself. And it'll all be your fault.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-21-2002, 11:20 AM
Dude, that military is just wrong. Wrong i tells ya.

IceRgrrl
03-21-2002, 11:25 AM
Belial-
Yeah man cutting to 215 tanning and posting some pics sounds like a good idea...

;);)

:nod:

(or just send them directly to me!) :angel:

the doc
03-21-2002, 11:40 AM
b- i tried the standing press after you left last time

I'm definitely gonna include them as part of the regular regimen!

Chris Rodgers
03-21-2002, 01:20 PM
Chalk up another great session. Damn it's quite disgusting. :p

You must have some sweet power rack that you can have the plates only 4" off the ground! My rack's lowest setting leaves them 9" off the ground and the one at the gym leaves them even higher. I have built myself things to stand on to decrease the ROM though.

ElPietro
03-21-2002, 01:24 PM
I'm still around a lean-ish 220, but I'm carrying more pudge than I'd like around the lower back and obliques... So I might actually cut to 215 or so... really slowly, and try to keep all my strength and muscle.

WTF? Thought you were gunnin for 230? :confused:

Blood&Iron
03-21-2002, 01:28 PM
I realized something. Your rack-deadlift is more of a 7/8 deadlift. I do rack-deads from slightly above the knees. So ignore my previous post.

Chris Rodgers
03-21-2002, 01:34 PM
Above the knees? That's like a short lockout. That's what I do for static holds.

Blood&Iron
03-21-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by LATMAN
Above the knees? That's like a short lockout. That's what I do for static holds.
That's a rack-deadlift according to Stuart McRobert, who I generally follow quite strictly when it comes to exercise technique.

Any lower and for me there is too much involvement of the legs, anyways. If I wanted that, I would do regular deadlifts.

MonStar1023
03-21-2002, 08:08 PM
Rack deadlifts:

495 x 3, 500 x 3 (!)

Completely AMAZING man. Totally in awe when I first read that I had to look twice. 500 f*cking pounds!? Jesus. Anyway yeah I do partial or rack deads from around my knees or actually a little above me knees. I guess it is more of a lockout movement rather than a deadlift.. I dont do them anymore.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jane
03-21-2002, 08:15 PM
Nice job foo.

the doc
03-21-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by LATMAN
Chalk up another great session. Damn it's quite disgusting. :p

You must have some sweet power rack that you can have the plates only 4" off the ground! My rack's lowest setting leaves them 9" off the ground and the one at the gym leaves them even higher. I have built myself things to stand on to decrease the ROM though.

it is a good power rack

and always availible

heathj
03-21-2002, 10:53 PM
Why don't you start 'em from the ground...why 4" above..?

Alex.V
03-22-2002, 11:30 AM
Heath- They definitely work on the lockout. My hips/legs are getting plenty of stimulation on my leg day (and from the zerchers), so I'm considering backing off on this day... I'm starting to feel some mild overtraining effects (chronic soreness, fatigue, etc.)

Chigs- Thanks man. And unlike the DB presses, they're not bugging my shoulder.

Doc- you're liking them too, eh? Love being able to push-press for that last rep. What are you taking out?

IceR- You know you'll get a preview. ;)

Latty/B&I- the rack is okay, but I can't actually set the pins that low. I need to steal the actual bar hooks and set them on the outside. That's what brings it down that last 2" or so... It makes it kind of tough to re-rack in the low position, but it's worth it.

Pietro- I'll get to 230 eventually. I'd rather not get there, and realize that I have to cut like mad, because I've added too much fat. 230 is my long term goal.

the doc
03-22-2002, 11:36 AM
yea b i was doing 135 (and i cleaned it ;) )
but if i didn't do those sets of 70 i could've done much more

I always felt strong on the military type press..

Alex.V
03-23-2002, 11:49 AM
Chest day.

Did something a little different. My shoulder's been bothering me, so I've been backing off the poundages. But in doing so, I've realized something. My sticking point is not where I thought. It's not right off the chest, it's more like 4-5" off.

This is important, because it might help explain why I can't progress. Before, when my shoulder was fine, I would lower the bar, and use the tension in my shoulders (actually, probably ligament pressure, given that my particular mechanics make any pressing movement that comes all the way to the chest quite uncomfortable.) So what I was doing was using this (somewhat damaging) ballistic motion to get the bar through the sticking point, and this was both causing damage to my shoulder, and preventing my tricep strength from developing at that point.

So I warmed up with some conventional BB bench, staying light.

BB bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 260 x 3, 280 x 3, 240 x 10

From here, I went over to the power rack, set up a bench, and set the safetys 5" off my chest. I put the bar there, loaded 315 on, and... nothing happened. It was like hitting a brick wall. 300... bar barely budged. 280.... Finally, slowly, the bar came off the pins for a lockout. Did a double.

Damn, that was a reality check. I'm going to be doing these religiously for a few weeks. They take some pressure off my shoulder (in fact, they don't bother it at all) and they work my weak point..

DB bench:

110x2 x 8, 110x2 x 8

DB flyes:

65 x 8, 65 x 8, 60 x 8

Weighted dips:

+90 x 8, +135 x 7 (!)

Ouch. lol. Triceps pretty burnt, but decided to do 1 set of close grip bench to finish them off.

CGBP:

200 x 8

Not too bad overall. There were a bunch of sets of lightweight bench in there where I was testing my strength at different points in the motion, and feeling for weaknesses in form.

So an experimental day, but I think I'm on the road to fixing a few problems.... hopefully in a few sessions my bench will be progressing again.

Diet- a bit low in cals, not enough water.

Sleep- 7 hours.

Chris Rodgers
03-23-2002, 01:01 PM
Lockouts sound good for a sticking point, but it's funny they don't bother your shoulders. Sometimes they feel funny on mine and I have heard the same from others.

Alex.V
03-23-2002, 01:52 PM
Well, it's really just off the chest that my shoulder bothers me, nowhere else in the movement. So the lockouts are too high up to cause any impingement. :)

IceRgrrl
03-23-2002, 02:19 PM
Good work, B...my sticking point is very similar to yours and I can't go down to my chest either (without stretching the $hit out of my shoulder). It must be a long arms thing... ;)

the doc
03-23-2002, 06:45 PM
how far down are you taking the db on db press?
do these hurt?

Alex.V
03-23-2002, 07:48 PM
IceR- I'll let you know how this goes... this might help. Hopefully, if my triceps get stronger in that part of the movement, I won't have to "catapult" the bar off my chest to get a decent lift.

doc- The DB's actually don't hurt at all. I think the fact that they allow slight wrist rotation, and dynamic spacing in various parts of the lift, along with the fact that I don't use very heavy poundage, (yeah WilRec, with a 110 lb limit) means that they are much easier on my shoulders. Go figure?

Alex.V
03-24-2002, 04:56 PM
Really good leg workout today.

Worked out with Andrea today... that was, well, very cool. She's got definite potential, squatted 100 for a double and 85 for reps her first time under the bar... Has great form to boot.

Speaking of boots, her butt looks great when she squats deep with a wide stance. :hump: She ran through my routine with me, and wasn't afraid to push it. Leg press poundage was very decent, and her calf raises were surprising. What more could I ask for.

(Yes, she's going to read this. :D She doesn't have an account, though, so she can't say anything. bwahahahaha.)

Right. *ahem*

Back squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 385 x 6, 445 x 7 (!)

Nice. Felt good. Strong through the sticking point, had a slight hesitation on rep 4 or so, but felt solid until the last rep.

Box squats:

315 x 6, 360 x 6 (!)

Good. Need to get a slightly lower "box", but it's unbelievable how taxing these are.

SLDLs:

405 x 7, 440 x 8 (!)

Powerful as well. ROM not so good on a rep or two, but the target muscles were hit, so this is progress still.

Leg press:

855 x 8, 975 x 8 (!)

Dizzy as hell after getting up from these. Whoa. *Keanu Reeves voice* Going to keep pushing these until I hit half a ton for reps.

Calf raises (on sled):

975 x 8, 975 x 8 (!), 765 x 20.

Again, painful burn on that last set. Bah. Calf work for me is like stroking off a castrati. F*ck it.

Diet- pretty good... maybe slightly off for my last meal yesterday. A bit too high in carbs and low in fat.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

That's it.

chris mason
03-24-2002, 05:25 PM
Good job Belial. A note of reflection, I was thinking about my earlier years of training the other day. What brought it on was my nagging injuries. I was thinking about how when I first got minor injuries, I would never really back off and allow them to heal properly. Then I thought, I am still like that. What an idiot! Well, I am hoping my experience can help you. If you are having a problem with your shoulder, only perform lifts that don't aggravate it. Let it heal, and skip the movement that caused it in the future. You know, when I was in my early 20s, I remember thinking how great my genes must be because I needed very little warmup before I used hefty weights. I remember my body's resiliency. I remember how injuries would heal quickly. Ahhh, but now I am paying the piper. Now, my joints ache quite a bit. I need to warmup, and it hurts while I do. My point is that I hope you will not make my mistakes and will find a way to train your chest and shoudlers without aggravating your injury. 'Nuff said.

Alex.V
03-24-2002, 09:31 PM
Chris- you're right. It's rather pointless to keep aggravating my shoulder anyway; I can't progress while it's hurting. Lesson learned. I'll stay away from flat bench for a while, and hopefully my strength will benefit. 'Sides, good point about long term health. It WOULD suck to pay for this later on because I was impatient now.

Andrea- post something already!

Just some girl
03-24-2002, 09:43 PM
Hey Belial,

You're a pushy SOB, did you know that?

Oh, and BTW...you look really sexy when you make all those angry faces while lifting big heavy things. (And your butt is not too shabby, either. ;p )

He also forget to tell you guys that there were more people staring at him like he was crazy while he loaded up the machine for leg presses today. (I think I understand it now, though, B. I guess someone forgot to tell you, but having an insane number of plates on the machine loses some of the impressiveness when they are those little girlie 5lb ones. ;p )

Alex.V
03-24-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Just some girl
(I think I understand it now, though, B. I guess someone forgot to tell you, but having an insane number of plates on the machine loses some of the impressiveness when they are those little girlie 5lb ones. ;p )

But the other ones are so HEEEEEAAAVVYY.

Wait, you're calling me "Belial". Did you forget my real name already? Damn.

And you really DID come in here and insult me. Well, I'm not going to make fun of your lifting, because you kicked ass there. But I WILL do this:

:whip:
:hump:

Now that you're posting here, you're not going to tell everybody that I'm really 150 pounds soaking wet, and have trouble squatting the bar, are you?

Just some girl
03-24-2002, 10:09 PM
Don't sweat it, B. I have it on good authority that asses of skinny 150lb weaklings get more...um...*play* than those of others. So your little secret shouldn't affect too much. Haha. ;p

And you forgot to tell the good people that I deadlifted and did hamstring curls, too. :-D Woohoo! O'Doyle RULES!!

Alex.V
03-24-2002, 10:28 PM
Mmmm, chicks that deadlift.

Okay, wait, journal back on topic! :p

We can play later.

the doc
03-25-2002, 12:57 AM
"Mmmm, chicks that deadlift. "

man now that is cool
work that booty woman!

Chris Rodgers
03-25-2002, 08:14 AM
My chick deadlifts so you are ace in my books. :thumbup:

Alex.V
03-26-2002, 01:15 PM
Yes, we agree, deadlifting chicks rule.

Back day:

Not bad... a little depleted going in, so I took it easy.

Weighted pull-ups:

+0 x 6, +55 x 8, +90 x 6, +135 x 1.5.

No improvement here. Ah well. Whatever. At least it didn't go down, considering how tired I still was at this point.

One handed DB/EZ curl bar rows:

145 x 8, 175 x 6.5, 110 x 10.

Not bad. Again, no improvement. But I'm bumping up the 175 to 180 next week. Wuhoo! Excitement.

Bent-over BB rows:

240 x 10, 265 x 8 (!)

Ooh, progress here. Probably do 245/265 next week, and go for 10/10.

Bi-angular row:

415 x 5.5 (!)

This also stays at this weight next week. I could probably pull five plates per side for a single here. :D I'm only slightly stronger on pulling motions... *stares sadly at bench press numbers*

Concentration curls:

PLGMW (puny little girly man weight) +5 x 8, PLGMW+5 x 8, PLGMW+5 x 6

Yes! I went up in poundage!

f*ck biceps.

Diet- pretty damn good.

Sleep- 6 hours... plus 3 hours lying in bed. heh.

That's it!

Blood&Iron
03-26-2002, 01:27 PM

Concentration curls:

PLGMW (puny little girly man weight) +5 x 8, PLGMW+5 x 8, PLGMW+5 x 6

Dude, you're putting up all these huge-assed poundages; I'm sure your ego can stand posting the weight you use for this. What does PLGMW equal? 60lbs or something? Even if it's 40lbs or something, sh*t, I post all my pansy-assed weights. Who gives a sh*t what anyone thinks, anyway?

Not trying to give you sh*t...well, maybe a little(I'm jealous.)

Alex.V
03-26-2002, 01:35 PM
Erm, well, as soon as I put up a number, I'll be tempted to increase it. And that's not what I want now... the concentration curls are a last ditch effort to get some bicep growth, and they're working. but I don't want to jeopardize this by letting my ego get the better of me, and wanting to put more bold down on the day. ;)

PLGMW = 45 pounds. So today I did the 50's. It's not much, really it's not, and yes, I'm fried at that point, my arms are trashed... but I'd like to be able to do more weight. lol. It really doesn't get to me, I just find it comical that I do these at all.

MonStar1023
03-26-2002, 01:38 PM
Bent-over BB rows:

240 x 10, 265 x 8 (!)

Damn strong as f*cking hell much? What the hell I just checked your journal a little while ago and you were rowing like 225 or something!

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-27-2002, 10:40 AM
and wanting to put more bold down on the day. ;)

But it feels so good!!!!

heathj
03-27-2002, 02:51 PM
45 on concentration curls is not puny...**** you! :)

Alex.V
03-27-2002, 03:49 PM
50, actually. And yes it is. A$$face.

But thanks anyway.
:)

Just some girl
03-27-2002, 04:38 PM
Oh my GOD!! :omg:
<swoon>
;)

Alex.V
03-27-2002, 06:48 PM
bahahahaha.

*snort*

People are going to think I created another username to compliment myself.

Just some girl
03-27-2002, 06:55 PM
:withstupi

Wait...you didn't???

(and you seem to have forgotten the times I have insulted you. maybe i should do it more often to refresh your memory...whadda ya think?;))

Alex.V
03-27-2002, 07:04 PM
No, that's fine. You do that PLENTY via other media, my journal will remain sacrosanct.

Alex.V
03-28-2002, 09:57 AM
Shoulders/deadlifts.

Not bad at all, sticking with the rack lockouts on this day... (err, well, 7/8 deadlifts. hehe) Felt like crap in class before I went to go work out... was considering skipping altogether, but decided at the last minute to go anyway.

Deadlifts:

225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 2, 435 x 2.

Went real light here, everything flew up, so I'm certainly not losing deadlift strength due to the lack of heavy full ROM deads in my routine.

Deadlift off 4" rack.

500 x 2, 550 x 2 (!)

These felt nice. I could probably pull 6+ plates like this... I definitely feel this all over my back, and a little bit in my hips. But my legs aren't fatigued right now, so they should still be well rested going into sunday. Sweet.

Zercher squats:

315 x 6, 350 x 5 (!)

Shitty ROM on rep 4 of the heavy set... I gotta watch these. It's a pointless lift unless I go kinda deep.

Standing BB military press:

145 x 8, 185 x 6 (!)

Staying here for another week or so. hehe. This was hard; the clean came up easy, but the initial press was a bear. Ugh. My triceps are fookin weak.

Lateral raises:

35 x 10, 40 x 8, 40 x 8

Nothing exciting here.

Upright rows (dumbbells)

65x2 x 8, 70x2 x 8.

Threw in some rotator cuff work at the end, and got the hell outta there.

Diet- pretty good.

Sleep- 5.5 hours. Oops.

Chris Rodgers
03-28-2002, 11:06 AM
Yea, your triceps are soooo weak. :rolleyes:

Good job on the rack deads!! Go for 6 plates biatch!!

When you do the zerchers, do you come down until the bar touches your thighs?? That way depth is never an issue and you know exactly when to come back up. This is the way I have seen them done and read about them.

Alex.V
03-28-2002, 11:11 AM
Thanks man. I'll push for 6 plates (well, erm, pull) next week. :D

yeah, the zerchers I try to touch my thighs, but when I get fatigued, I'm about an inch off. The sh*tty rep was more like 3-4 inches off. bah. But they're hard! *whines*

Chris Rodgers
03-28-2002, 11:21 AM
Haha. Stop whining and touch the thighs.

You have inspired me to work up to 3 plates in the near future. I took 275 to my thighs 4 times the other day. It will be mine, oh yes it will be...errrm or something.

Alex.V
03-28-2002, 09:15 PM
Bah. Stop talking to me like I'm a powerlifter. I do zerchers because they blast my biceps, yo.

I wanna look purdy.

Just some girl
03-28-2002, 09:18 PM
aww...you do look purdy.

oh my GOD!!

you do, you do. ;)

Blood&Iron
03-28-2002, 09:21 PM
aww...you do look purdy.

oh my GOD!!

you do, you do. ;)
THIS HAS TO BE BELIAL POSTING UNDER ANOTHER NAME.

Just admit it. You'll feel better once you do.

Alex.V
03-28-2002, 09:21 PM
LOL. I swear to f*cking god it's not.

Dammit, A, say something!

Just some girl
03-28-2002, 09:26 PM
I take great offense to being accused of being that overgrown meathead!! He's cute, but not that cute.

Besides, I do NOT weight 220lbs, thank you VERY much!! (not exactly the way to get on a girl's good side, B&I! ;) )

Just some girl
03-28-2002, 09:28 PM
(....and its damNit, not dammit. get it right!!) :D

Alex.V
03-28-2002, 09:28 PM
He's cute, but not that cute.

:(

I thought I was....

the doc
03-28-2002, 09:29 PM
THIS HAS TO BE BELIAL POSTING UNDER ANOTHER NAME.

Just admit it. You'll feel better once you do.

belial we've got you figured out man tuttut

Alex.V
03-28-2002, 09:31 PM
okay, doc. She just made a good point... you she can meet. Proof enough?

PowerManDL
03-28-2002, 09:31 PM
(....and its damNit, not dammit. get it right!!) :D

Hukt on fonix werked for me

the doc
03-28-2002, 09:34 PM
I will vouch for ya bro
:thumbup:

Alex.V
03-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Thanks doc.

As for the rest of you....

buncha assfaces.

the doc
03-28-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by some hot girl
I go the same gym as B&I and lemme tell you he is one hot, hunk of man.

I think B&I is jealous..lol

Blood&Iron
03-28-2002, 09:37 PM

I think B&I is jealous..lol
I have no idea who this could possibly be. I swear.

the doc
03-28-2002, 09:39 PM
LMAO- there's a lot of hot chicks browsing the journals tonight

power's hooking up also

Just some girl
03-28-2002, 09:40 PM
hey doc...if you are gonna make up stuff that ive supposedly written, fake it properly. I think you meant that i go to the same gym as Belial....right?

Alex.V
03-28-2002, 09:40 PM
Why would B&I be jealous of B&I? Check your last misquoted post, doc. lol.

Alex.V
03-28-2002, 09:41 PM
Dammit girl, stop posting at the same time as me.

Alex.V
03-28-2002, 09:42 PM
btw- there's a training journal amidst all this mess, I swear!

Just some girl
03-28-2002, 09:42 PM
this isnt my fault!! stop accusing me of being Belial's imaginary friend! that hurts my feelings. ok, and now im done :)

the doc
03-28-2002, 09:45 PM
hey doc...if you are gonna make up stuff that ive supposedly written, fake it properly. I think you meant that i go to the same gym as Belial....right?

no, check out the recent posts in b&I and powemans journals ;)

PowerManDL
03-28-2002, 09:46 PM
Yes, we're bastards, but at least we're good at it.

the doc
03-28-2002, 09:47 PM
from new members GangOfSexyGirls and Some Hot Girl...lol

Alex.V
03-28-2002, 09:47 PM
LOL. Okay, you guys made up girls to be your groupies. Mine's real.

I swear.

Dammit doc, you'll back me up. Sunday around 2-ish. She's coming with me. We're squatting. Be there at some point.

Alex.V
03-28-2002, 09:48 PM
Oh, and the :spam: in this journal ends here.

ericg
03-29-2002, 06:33 AM
Christ; I just scrolled through an entire page of posts that had nothin to do with your training!! Nice job anyways!!

the doc
03-29-2002, 08:54 AM
LOL. Okay, you guys made up girls to be your groupies. Mine's real.

I swear.

Dammit doc, you'll back me up. Sunday around 2-ish. She's coming with me. We're squatting. Be there at some point.

Ace, i cant wait to meet this woman who squats and deadlifts

She would be in the 1% of femmes at wilrec who actually use something other than the 5 or 10 lb db...lol

the doc
03-29-2002, 07:11 PM
heh
Someone at the gym tonight was spouting something about an article he read in flex mag about some reverse grip curls (palms facing away)
he then proceeded to do a set of these alleged curls that looked more like ezbar front raises...lol

yo i am squatting on sunday also
see you then

Fart Barker
03-30-2002, 08:23 AM
http://www.contrabandent.com/cwm/s/cwm/cwm/puke.gif

Alex.V
03-30-2002, 11:11 AM
Thank you Mister Barker for that lovely visual.

Chest/triceps:

I had company again. :) First time benching, this girl hit 85 for a single (with fingertip assist; prolly due to fatigue). She also did 125 on the bi-angular row (as much as a lot of guys do). Sweet. You kick ass, girl.

BB bench:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 255 x 3, 280 x 2, 315 x 2

I haven't gone over 300 in a while, so the load was a bit unexpected at first; caught me by surprise. Oops. Shoulder seems to be okay, though. I'm going to take this reaaaaal slow.

Rack lockouts, 5" above the chest:

295 x 2 (!)

Wow, these were hell pushing up; I'm kinda surprised I did it at all. There was some discomfort in my elbows afterwards, though. hmm.

DB bench:

110x2 x 8, 110x2 x 8

These felt easier than usual.

DB flyes:

65 x 8, 65 x 8, 65 x 8

Weighted dips:

+45 x 8, +90 x 6, +140 x 5.5 (!)

Plus a bodyweight of 221, this is a dip of 361 pounds. Not too shabby. :) A little shoulder discomfort here.

Close grip bench press:

205 x 5, 225 x 4 (!)

Lost balance on the 225. It was much easier than I thought, so I was trying to throw it up there too quickly. And it almost went flying off to one side. hehe. That woulda sucked.

That was it. Slightly higher volume, but the long pause in between sets made this not too bad. I WILL lower volume next week, I believe. I'll see how I recover from this. But the improvement in my lockout was nice.

Andrea, you can post and gloat if you'd like. :)

Diet- pretty good. High in calories, but I felt flat this morning.

Sleep- 7 hours.

Orange357
03-30-2002, 11:20 AM
So is this girl a figment of Belials imagination?
See when we return to "hey, why not."

Just some girl
03-30-2002, 11:33 AM
Im dividing this into two sections....

Gloating:
I did feel pretty bad ass today, I must admit. Especially when we saw those guys benching 65lbs, which is what I was doing for reps (Orange...was that you?). Plus B tells me I growled a few times during some of the heavier lifts, so that also helps with the badass-ness. :D

Other:
Doc, we'll see you tomorrow, right? Then all this "figment of Belial's imagination" bullshit can be put to rest. And we can just leave the imaginary groupies to B&I and Power....

the doc
03-30-2002, 11:38 AM

Gloating:
I did feel pretty bad ass today, I must admit. Especially when we saw those guys benching 65lbs, which is what I was doing for reps (Orange...was that you?). Plus B tells me I growled a few times during some of the heavier lifts, so that also helps with the badass-ness. :D

LMAO

Orange357
03-30-2002, 11:49 AM
Im dividing this into two sections....

Gloating:

hey, now that hurt. I was just playin:(

big
03-30-2002, 12:09 PM
B. do you train powerlifting or BB?

Almost a year since you started the journal and 40lbs heavier, pretty nice. :)

Blood&Iron
03-30-2002, 12:17 PM
I And we can just leave the imaginary groupies to B&I and Power....

Huh? What are you talking about? I can't speak for Powerman, but mine's real.

Fart Barker
03-30-2002, 01:18 PM
Thank you Mister Barker for that lovely visual.

Chest/triceps:

I had company again. :) First time benching, this girl hit 85 for a single (with fingertip assist; prolly due to fatigue). She also did 125 on the bi-angular row (as much as a lot of guys do). Sweet. You kick ass, girl.

BB bench:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 255 x 3, 280 x 2, 315 x 2

I haven't gone over 300 in a while, so the load was a bit unexpected at first; caught me by surprise. Oops. Shoulder seems to be okay, though. I'm going to take this reaaaaal slow.

Rack lockouts, 5" above the chest:

295 x 2 (!)

Wow, these were hell pushing up; I'm kinda surprised I did it at all. There was some discomfort in my elbows afterwards, though. hmm.

DB bench:

110x2 x 8, 110x2 x 8

These felt easier than usual.

DB flyes:

65 x 8, 65 x 8, 65 x 8

Weighted dips:

+45 x 8, +90 x 6, +140 x 5.5 (!)

Plus a bodyweight of 221, this is a dip of 361 pounds. Not too shabby. :) A little shoulder discomfort here.

Close grip bench press:

205 x 5, 225 x 4 (!)

Lost balance on the 225. It was much easier than I thought, so I was trying to throw it up there too quickly. And it almost went flying off to one side. hehe. That woulda sucked.

That was it. Slightly higher volume, but the long pause in between sets made this not too bad. I WILL lower volume next week, I believe. I'll see how I recover from this. But the improvement in my lockout was nice.

Andrea, you can post and gloat if you'd like. :)

Diet- pretty good. High in calories, but I felt flat this morning.

Sleep- 7 hours.

Now we're back in business :thumbup: :D

Just some girl
03-30-2002, 03:08 PM
Sorry, Orange. Sometimes I lash out. Just ask B...he's got the bruises to prove it.

(im just kidding! ...i try not to leave marks....sheesh! ;) )

Alex.V
03-30-2002, 03:12 PM
hahahaha.

Ow. Abusive relationship.

:bash:

Just some girl
03-30-2002, 04:11 PM
mmhmm:D

Alex.V
03-30-2002, 04:16 PM
:omg:

(p.s., what a silly 900th post)

the doc
03-30-2002, 05:35 PM
whoa !

sounds like a little o this :hump: going on!

MonStar1023
03-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Awesome strength Belial... really really impressed. Keep up the hard work man. Nice lockouts. AWESOME dip strength! I never new how strong you were with f*cking dips!

the doc
03-30-2002, 08:41 PM
OK to all you disbelievers
I met belial's woman tonight
She is well um real and ... quite ACE! :)

Also, JSG, you have the frame to develop quite a physique if you keep following belial's lead ! Not that you aren't quite ace looking alreadY~KEEP PUMPING!

Alex.V
03-31-2002, 12:37 PM
Yep, she kicks ass.

Leg day.

Really good, I had company, again. :) She kicked ass, btw. Never afraid to try more weight, which is excellent. 115 for a double on back squats, good form on the SLDLs, and 225 on the leg press for 8 reps (at the end of the workout). So... yeah. Squat form is great. Proud of ya, baby. Next week, 135 for a single? :D

Back squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 385 x 6, 450 x 7 (!)

Good. Working on keeping my ROM complete. Felt powerful, didn't need any help from my spotters apparently. I find that taking an ultra-wide grip REALLY helps on these... hands actually touching the plates.

Box squats:

315 x 5, 365 x 6 (!)

I need a lower box. The bench brings me about 1-2" below parallel, I've found. Still tough, but that's still not quite what I'm looking for. Still, they're a great assistance lift.

Deep squats:

315 x 5

Not to failure, these were just narrow stance, 3-4" below parallel squats to stretch out my adductors.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 445 x 8 (!)

My straps are getting stretched. Not sure how much longer they're going to last. :( But these felt nice.

Leg press:

855 x 8, 1,005 x 8 (!)

Holy hell. I saw stars after this... I was a little tired going in to this set, but this burnt me out. I used my hands a good bit on that last rep. Now THAT was failure.

Calf raises on leg press sled.

1,005 x 8, 1,005 x 8 (!), 765 x 20.

Bah. Synthol.

Right. So, a good day overall. I can't walk straight, but the workout kicked ass anyway.

Diet- pretty good, actually, even with work tomorrow.

Sleep- 7 hours.

Das' it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-31-2002, 01:11 PM
tuttut

sick

tuttut

I'm insanely jealous you can bold 4-figure numbers now....

Jane
03-31-2002, 01:11 PM
Me too.

Just some girl
03-31-2002, 05:13 PM
Now that doc has vouched for my existence, maybe no one will object to my saying nice things about B. Because I don't think many of you have had the pleasure of going to the gym with him, let me just tell you, he is an animal and a f*cking badass in there. (you are;))

:strong:

But there is one area that he desperately needs to work on. And that would have to be learning where the line between "gym buddy" and "more than gym buddy" is...and then learning how to not cross it. Back me up on this one, doc. Does he sometimes try to touch your butt in the gym?

oh no, i did not just say that!! hm...i think maybe i did;)

(hey, you kept urging me to post...;):D) :hump:

Alex.V
03-31-2002, 05:28 PM

But there is one area that he desperately needs to work on. And that would have to be learning where the line between "gym buddy" and "more than gym buddy" is...and then learning how to not cross it. Back me up on this one, doc. Does he sometimes try to touch your butt in the gym?

Okay, you know, I don't mind you writing NICE things, but the hypocrisy here is just untenable. YOU grab MY ass in the gym.

Okay, that's a lie.

And the vague homosexual references are likewise not appreciated. I would think you, of all people, could vouch for my heterosexuality.

Oh dear. :)

Erm, right. Anyway, I appreciate the badass comment, truly. But I still think "certified freak" is more of the image I portray. hehe

Just some girl
03-31-2002, 06:00 PM
untenable? i didn't think meatheads used words like that. careful...you'll ruin your image! ;)

and i didn't necessarily imply any homosexual tendencies.
you ran with that one on your own...some issues to work out, maybe? ;)
just was wondering if maybe the high school football mindset of the "ass-slap" had carried over into your weightlifting.
though you are right, it is more of a grab than a slap...

anyway, enough about asses....good work out today, man. <grunts, smashes empty beer can against forehead, scratches self> (because we are gym buddies, see?) :D

Pup
03-31-2002, 06:15 PM

anyway, enough about asses....good work out today, man. <grunts, smashes empty beer can against forehead, scratches self> (because we are gym buddies, see?) :D

You know B, you better not grab my ass when i come there, otherwise i may have hit you with a large trout or something
;)

the doc
03-31-2002, 06:54 PM
I would think you, of all people, could vouch for my heterosexuality.

hell you guys were waking up the neighborhood last night

put a sock in her mouth next time...lol

chris mason
03-31-2002, 07:23 PM
sounding like Leonard Nimoy narrating a wildlife documentary: The mating habits of the gym rat. Note the use of inuendo and the self denial. All an elaborate scheme which can last for days or even months. The final outcome to occur outside the relative safety of the gym...

;) :D :angel:

Alex.V
03-31-2002, 07:33 PM
Wow, Mr. Mason. I was full expecting an intelligent, on topic post from you when I opened up my journal. Instead, you contribute to the degeneration of my hallowed thread. tuttut

lol. j/k. But we're getting back on topic! A, no more :hump:ing in my journal, aight? Cool.

Just some girl
03-31-2002, 07:44 PM
Ok, I'm done contributing to the off-topic-ness of your journal. But let's not forget who started all of this, with the whole "you of all people can vouch..." comment. It wasn't me. A'ight? Foo'!!

...damn dirty gutter-minded testosterone-filled iron-pumping lunkheaded big-word-using excuse for a meathead...

the doc
03-31-2002, 08:24 PM
mason is showing his humerous side lately

:hide:

the doc
03-31-2002, 08:24 PM
Ok, I'm done contributing to the off-topic-ness of your journal. But let's not forget who started all of this, with the whole "you of all people can vouch..." comment. It wasn't me. A'ight? Foo'!!

...damn dirty gutter-minded testosterone-filled iron-pumping lunkheaded big-word-using excuse for a meathead...

like i said b, you should put a sock in her mouth :indian:

MonStar1023
04-01-2002, 06:28 PM
Damn I was looking at the beginning of this journal, how much you really improved. You started off doing 225 for 4RM, now your handing 315 for 2! Congrats man, thats all I have to say. I just did 235 for 4.5. Very very very VERY dissapointed in my bench strength. Hopefully in 9 months itll be 315 like yours.

Alex.V
04-01-2002, 06:38 PM
Actually, Monstar, before my shoulder started bugging me I was doing 335 for a single. :( Ah well.

But yeah, right now it's just getting down the movement for you. You'll be at 315 in no time. :)

MonStar1023
04-01-2002, 06:59 PM
Haha I hope so. Is there any kind of secret to your strength skyrocketing like that? I mean honestly just creatine, Xenadrine preworkout, seems kinda odd. I guess over 9 months its not too odd but who knows. I just know that my strength hasnt gone up 100 lbs. like yours in 9 months, I dont think.

:D:D

Blood&Iron
04-01-2002, 07:40 PM
Haha I hope so. Is there any kind of secret to your strength skyrocketing like that? I mean honestly just creatine, Xenadrine preworkout, seems kinda odd. I guess over 9 months its not too odd but who knows. I just know that my strength hasnt gone up 100 lbs. like yours in 9 months, I dont think.

He's a genetic freak. Granted, I'm sure Belial busts his a** in the gym, plus he lifts intelligently But plenty of people do that and don't even come close to his level of progression(Besides considering the pathetic amount of sleep he gets, he should be roughly as strong as Woody Allen IMO.)

heathj
04-01-2002, 07:46 PM
My deadlift has gone up 175 pounds since summer... :D

Chris Rodgers
04-01-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

He's a genetic freak. Granted, I'm sure Belial busts his a** in the gym, plus he lifts intelligently But plenty of people do that and don't even come close to his level of progression(Besides considering the pathetic amount of sleep he gets, he should be roughly as strong as Woody Allen IMO.)

Hehe, yea genetics. :angel:

Alex.V
04-01-2002, 08:28 PM
B&I- I wish I could say I was. But four years of lifting in high school, and I still couldn't get above a 155 bench. Sad, no? And I played football. I also quickly went from a relatively lean (14%) 180 to a quite obese 235. So, until I stumbled across this web site, got my diet and training in order, and starting hitting the gym with more dedication than I've ever put towards anything else in my life, I was a hardgainer in the worst sense. Couldn't put on muscle, but could easily put on fat. Sucks, eh?

Heath- good job, man. You get a cookie.

Latty- Okay assface. You CAN let an opportunity to detract from my accomplishments slip by without comment, you know. I won't think you're any less of a w*nker if you do. My gear dabbling is not why I've gotten as far as I have, and by alluding to it in every single post, you're not hinting at some deep dark secret that hasn't been revealed on oh, say, page 26. Though I don't think my build or lifts are exceptional by any means, I'm relatively proud of them both. And I like to think that my hard work had SOMETHING to do with it.

Monstar- best kept secret: Never stop bulking. ;) Seriously. Stuck with the same routine, always try to put a bit more weight on the bar, always try to eat enough... I just don't think I can envision myself NOT progressing in at least one major lift a week, and this fear of stagnation keeps my caloric intake high, and my mental focus sharp.

Or something like that. :)

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Chris Rodgers
04-01-2002, 08:33 PM
:omg:

Must be all the testosterone. ;) Calmo down fukko, just messin wit ya.

Alex.V
04-01-2002, 08:43 PM
Sorry man, must be the halo. I mean....wait.

You're still an assface, though.

MonStar1023
04-01-2002, 08:55 PM
Belial-
I hate to make you do this again, but hopefully you can just cut and paste. But on a daily basis what are your meals and total cals etc. like? Just wondering?

PowerManDL
04-01-2002, 08:57 PM
Hey, lets see if we can get his journal locked!

the doc
04-01-2002, 09:33 PM
Okay assface. You CAN let an opportunity to detract from my accomplishments slip by without comment, you know. I won't think you're any less of a w*nker if you do. My gear dabbling is not why I've gotten as far as I have, and by alluding to it in every single post, you're not hinting at some deep dark secret that hasn't been revealed on oh, say, page 26. Though I don't think my build or lifts are exceptional by any means, I'm relatively proud of them both. And I like to think that my hard work had SOMETHING to do with it.

***belial was VERY strong before he dabbed

Blood&Iron
04-01-2002, 09:45 PM
B&I- I wish I could say I was. But four years of lifting in high school, and I still couldn't get above a 155 bench. Sad, no? And I played football. I also quickly went from a relatively lean (14%) 180 to a quite obese 235. So, until I stumbled across this web site, got my diet and training in order, and starting hitting the gym with more dedication than I've ever put towards anything else in my life, I was a hardgainer in the worst sense. Couldn't put on muscle, but could easily put on fat. Sucks, eh?

I'm still not sure what I think.

Granted, the 155 bench is surprising. Although, in high school I would have probably struggled with an empty bar(I was vehemently anti-exercise. That was something for prep and jocks to do. Ergo, it was something I did not do, despite actually being in a weightlifting class. I just sorta milled around and made an occasional fake lifting attempt to placace the gym teacher.) Now, certainly, you're progression is not inhuman, but it is, IMO, certainly not typical. As I said, the fact that you lift hard and intelligently and eat right is certainly primarily responsible. But... there are many people who are equally dedicated for whom it takes years to acheive the poundages you have acheived in a single year. When I was primarily concerned with strength I could make progress roughly equal to yours--for a month or two. But invariably things would stall, and no matter what I did I got nowhere. Perhaps I'm merely genetically retarded. Or don't work hard enough. Or not intelligently enough. I don't know. Maybe it's just a rationalization. But I've seen too many others who are in a similar situation to my own--although I gave up caring about poundages all that much some time ago--to not, to some degree, find your progress atypical. Of course, this does not diminish your accomplishments in the least. Merely realize that many could work just as hard as you and not acheive the same results--or at least take a good many more years to acheive them.

the doc
04-01-2002, 09:59 PM
ps not directing that at you latty :)

Alex.V
04-02-2002, 11:29 AM
B&I- I'm inclined to agree with you to some extent. I would have thought I'd have stagnated long ago... and while I'm not really sure what factors keep me progressing, I would think that a significant portion MUST be genetics (as much as I have trouble believing that, due to factors I mentioned before). Hey, maybe it's just compensation for my calves.

Back day:

Pretty good overall, except I missed my morning class. Doh!

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 6, +135 x 1.5 + 2 negatives.

First set was explosive on the concentric... explosive enough to make the power rack slide across the floor. Felt good today, I could definitely feel these in my back.

Bent-over DB/one handed EZ curl bar rows:

145 x 8, 180 x 5.5 (!), 110 x 10

Ow. These can stay here next week. Right arm felt powerful, left arm less so. Hey, I've more than doubled my poundage on these since I started my journal. (80 -> 180)

Bent-over BB rows:

245 x 10, 270 x 8 (!)

Doh! I was supposed to stay at 265. Well, next week is 250/270, and I'll stay there until I've got 10/10.

Bi-angular row:

420 x 4.5 (!)

These stay here until I've got 6 reps.

Cable curls:

170 x 10, 180 x 10

Something different here. I can actually be pretty strict with these. I'll see what they do (or don't do) for me.

Diet- pretty good.

Sleep- 8+ hours. :D

That's it....

MonStar1023
04-02-2002, 11:31 AM
Nice back workout and good amount of sleep. Quick question, do you have a pic of a biangular row.. confused as to what it is.

Alex.V
04-02-2002, 11:33 AM
http://www.magnumfitness.com/420.htm

MonStar1023
04-02-2002, 11:38 AM
Seems like a very similar movement to my incline machine rows..

http://store4.yimg.com/I/exercise_1676_5753877

... Its all good. My whole back routine is 2 sets of chins, 2 sets of these incline rows here in the pic, a set of pullovers and a set of v-bar pulldowns. Do you think this will be sufficient?

Blood&Iron
04-02-2002, 12:22 PM

Sleep- 8+ hours. :D

Did someone slip some GHB into post-workout shake or something?

Just some girl
04-02-2002, 02:11 PM
Looks like it was a really good workout! :thumbup:

....See? No need to be grumpy ;)

:moon:
i just felt this one was highly under-represented here, and deserves a little love too...plus maybe it'll make you smile:)

Alex.V
04-02-2002, 02:31 PM
Monstar- I think that routine's fine. Chins are weighted, yah? :)

B&I- naw, just a little bit if vicodin before bed, works wonders.

JSG- :hump:

the doc
04-02-2002, 03:40 PM
lol

MonStar1023
04-03-2002, 08:38 AM
Haha aight man, yeah definitely weighted chins, no questions asked.

Alex.V
04-04-2002, 09:43 AM
Ugh. Good day, but I'm pissed. Got up early to have a meeting with a dean (during walk in hours).... Made sure to get there the minute her hours started (at 8:30 in the morning).... 5 people in front of me already, and I had a 9:10 class. Grrr. Woke up an hour early for nothing.

Anyway, shoulders/deadlifts:

Deadlifts:

225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 2, 450 x 2

Went real light here, no straps, no belt. Just keeping the motion down, making sure I don't get weaker at any part of the lift.

Deadlifts off 4" pins:

No straps or belt:
495 x 2, 585 x 0 (grip failed)

crap.

With straps (still no belt):
585 x 2, 605 x 1 (!)

Nice. My back was screaming at me. Wish I had gotten six plates without straps, but whatever. I think I made a lot of noise with these, btw. lol

Standing military press:

155 x 8, 185 x 8 (!)

Damn, I was feeling weak. I guess the deads wiped me out.

Lateral raises:

35 x 10, 40 x 10

Decided not to do the third set, these were irritating my elbow a little.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 12, 110x2 x 12

So that was it. I like putting the deads first, but it really weakens my shoulder workout. Just as well, it gives my triceps a break. I need a shower.

Diet- pretty good... a bit low in calories.

Sleep- 6 hours. sh*t.

MonStar1023
04-04-2002, 09:49 AM
Awesome deadlift strength.. wow 605 f*cking pounds!?

Just some girl
04-04-2002, 09:52 AM
YOU RULE! ;)

Alex.V
04-04-2002, 09:53 AM
YOU RULE! ;)

LOL. Thank you baby.

You too, Monstar. But I won't call you baby.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-04-2002, 11:57 AM
All i want to say is that i'm laughing quite heartily over the words "went real light here" proceeding the weight "450lbs" for two reps.

That is all.

John_Galt
04-04-2002, 01:51 PM
I'm new to the board, and just wanted to comment on your incredible strength gains.. I'm at work and nearly read through your entire journal (this is more time consuming for your journal, than others.. :D ) and am real impressed with your progress..

And your weighted dips, weighted pull-ups and deadlifts are like nothing I've ever seen..

:thumbup:

Fart Barker
04-04-2002, 04:41 PM
Anytime I want my estrogen count to go up, all I gotta do is read your journal. Thanks.

....meaning that I feel like a girly-man with the incredible weight you're lifting. :cry: I tried pulling 365 a couple weeks ago and it didn't even budge.

MonStar1023
04-04-2002, 10:03 PM
Wow just realized you hit a half ton on the leg press and leg press calf raises.. good job man. Incredible squat strength too.. really really really impressive. 470 for 7. I just did squats today after not doing them for 2 years. Only got 325 for 7.5!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Alex.V
04-06-2002, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys. John_Galt, (nice name, btw), you actually read this whole damn thing? lol. I haven't even done that since I started it. Thanks for the props, though.

Mr. Barker, your bench will soon be miles beyond mine, so I wouldn't feel bad at all.

And Monstar, that's an excellent squat after a layoff that long.

Chest/triceps:

Andrea came again. (heh. hehe. *ahem*)

She's gonna smack me for that

Good workout, though. She did chest and back, her poundages progressed in everything. BB bench, 90 for two singles, DB bench with 25's (then 20's), flyes with 15's, Bi-angular rows with 130, lat pulldowns with 75 for 8 reps (She could barely do 4 at that weight last week)...
So, yeah. Very nice. :)

Mine was so-so.

BB Bench:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 255 x 3, 280 x 2, 320 x 1.

Still feeling weak here, Shoulder hurts a little, and I think I'm not pushing myself to the limit for fear of injury. Smart. I should listen to my body. Didn't stress it too much here, though. Just keeping down the feeling of a 300+ bench.

BB bench with a 1-1-x tempo:

225 x 3, 225 x 3, 225 x 3

BB bench with 4-3-x tempo:

225 x 6

These felt good. Strong, and they definitely help me feel like I can handle the weight. I figure when I can do this whole part with 250-260, I'll be in excellent shape to handle heavier weights for conventional singles/doubles.

DB bench:

110x2 x 8, 110x2 x 8

Not bad. Nothing exciting here. I wish we had heavier DBs.

DB flyes:

65x2 x 8, 70x2 x 6, 70x2 x 7 (!)

Good. Didn't bother my shoulder, felt these very strongly in my chest.

Weighted dips:

+45 x 6, +90 x 6, +145 x 4.5 (!)

Add 2.5 next week. That's 367 with bodyweight included. Not too bad.

Close Grip Bench press:

235 x 4.5 (!)

hahaha. Ow... Complete failure here.

So, decent day. There was a lot of submaximal work here, so even though it was a lot of sets, very few were max effort, or to failure, so I actually don't feel as beat right now as I do other days, even though my chest is sore. Shoulder and elbow feel better than usual after a workout.

Diet- Not bad. A few beers last night, but otherwise perfect.

Sleep- 7 hours.

MonStar1023
04-06-2002, 11:47 AM
Nice chest day bro. Looking good as usual. Nice DB fly strength. Dip strength, as usual is f*cking unbelievable. 367 lbs. dip strength. Holy sh*t! I probably can handle 300-315 lbs. dip strength, so I am not THAT bad compared to you. ;);)

MS

the doc
04-06-2002, 06:16 PM
Good workout, though. She did chest and back, her poundages progressed in everything. BB bench, 90 for two singles, DB bench with 25's (then 20's), flyes with 15's, Bi-angular rows with 130, lat pulldowns with 75 for 8 reps (She could barely do 4 at that weight last week)...

that would be the MOST i have ever seen a woman load on the biangular row at our gym

congrats!

heathj
04-06-2002, 06:27 PM
:cry:

Hey B, when is my stuff arriving? :D

Maki Riddington
04-06-2002, 07:13 PM
You disgust me Belial!
:mad:

Alex.V
04-06-2002, 08:19 PM
I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL the love....

Alex.V
04-06-2002, 10:17 PM

that would be the MOST i have ever seen a woman load on the biangular row at our gym

congrats!

Oh, and that's more than I see a lot of guys doing there, too. lol.

Alex.V
04-07-2002, 12:10 PM
Decent leg day...

Felt a little weak early on in the workout... possibly a little undernourished and dehydrated. But I still gave squats a good go.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 385 x 6, 455 x 7 (!)

Wuhoo. Got to throw on the quarters! These felt good... My ROM wasn't too great for the first two reps as I somewhat gingerly judged my strength, but after that they got nice and deep. I guess I was a little worried that I'd sink too deep on the first rep and bottom out. lol.

Does anybody else love the wide grip? My hands are literally up against the plates on each side, and for some reason this makes it easier to go deeper. I'm too tired to think about the mechanics right now.

Box (bench) squats:

315 x 6, 370 x 6 (!)

Not bad. Felt strong on the push up, not the usual hesitation. I was getting warmed up at this point.

Deep squats:

315 x 5

Again, just to stretch out. Felt nice enough.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 450 x 8 (!)

Good. Lower back arched a tiny bit on rep 7, I think, and ROM was lousy on rep 3. So next week, I won't bump up the first set, and I'll take a bit longer in between the two.

Leg press:

855 x 8, 1015 x 8 (!)

Felt ill. I need to work on my breathing.... and I need to find better shoes. These ones seem like they're going to slide off.

Calf raises on sled:

1015 x 8, 1015 x 8, 765 x 21 (!)

Not bad... got an extra rep on the burnout. Wuhoo! Hitting calves last thursday didn't seem to affect their strength. If I get growth outta this, I'm gonna keep it up.

Diet- Pretty good... a bit low in carbs.

Sleep- 6.5 hours. DOH! Fookin daylight savings.

That's it....

MonStar1023
04-07-2002, 12:12 PM
Un f*cking believable leg strength. I am seriously in aw at every single f*cking exercise. 455 f*cking pound squats. Just completely in aw. Keep it up man! Scary poundages... :eek::eek:

MS

John_Galt
04-07-2002, 12:45 PM
Listen.. I think this is the only time I'll ever get a chance to say this to someone, but if your gym ever runs low on weights, you can always borrow my CAR to leg press with.. I'm sure it weighs the half a ton that you're pressing nowadays... :D

Un-F'in-Believable..

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-07-2002, 01:57 PM
A 450lb SLDL for 8 reps is out of this world. :omg:

Just some girl
04-07-2002, 02:39 PM
im so upset that i missed going with you this morning!! (tomorrow morn, though...:D)

damn, boy. thats a friggin workout! yeap, you rule (woohoo! i'm a groupie!;))

oh yea, and thanks, doc!! (you too, B ;)) its good to know that i can hold my own with the other double X chromosomes in that place. :D (haha....i was with B at the gym yesterday and saw some chick squatting and got all competitive....but it wasnt a big deal cuz i can squat more than she was doing. SCORE! :):))

and on that note....im out. ;)

Maki Riddington
04-07-2002, 02:40 PM
I want to be like Belial when I grow up.

heathj
04-07-2002, 04:08 PM
Who spots you on leg press?

ElPietro
04-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Inspiring.

Pup
04-08-2002, 06:37 AM
Nice work B, good progression :)

PowerManDL
04-08-2002, 12:55 PM
B, I've looked over your workout structure and I've decided I'm going to steal it for a short mesocycle.

:ninja:

Alex.V
04-08-2002, 01:02 PM
lol. Thanks guys... Nice to hear positive feedback. It's encouraging, though my workouts have been all right I've been stagnating a bit mentally. So thanks. :)

Monstar- I ain't quitting anytime soon. :)

John_Galt- hehe. Well, I don't know about that... leg press sleds are at 45 degree angles, roughly, which means the actual work done against gravity (minus friction) is approximately half of the load on the sled. Therefore, it's like lifting 507.5 pounds vertically (Again, minus friction). Not quite as impressive, considering it's on a track.

Andrea- we'll kick ass at least twice this week, even though this morning didn't work out. ;) Okay, maybe it did. But you know what I mean.

Maki- You CAN! Just join my new club. Membership fees are only $750 a month, payable in cash. Payment for the first year is due up front.

heath- toldja on IM. Nobody. hehe. *squish*

Pietro, Maki, Monstar and pup, thanks guys. Coming from other heavy lifters, that means a lot.

Powerman- I do hope it works out for you. I would assume you can sort through the mess in here and get some sense of the exact lifts done week to week, and I doubt I'd need to fill you in on any of my thinking. But the results for me have been great, so I'd be interested to see how another experienced lifter would fare with it.

PowerManDL
04-08-2002, 01:13 PM
Its actually not too far off from a split I've been considering myself-- you've just conveniently found a nice way to structure the basic exercises and assistance movements. Since you and I seem to have nearly identical strong and weak points in the big lifts, that's a major plus. I also like the way you work to a heavy or limit set in the big lift, then throw in 1-2 assistance moves, then some extra work for that and the smaller muscle groups.

I tend to respond well to somewhat higher volume routines like that anyway, esp. when I toss in unloading weeks every 3-4 weeks. So we'll see.

Alex.V
04-08-2002, 04:31 PM
Went with Andrea to the gym today... I didn't lift. She did legs because she missed it sunday. :D

Crowded as sh*t, I'm glad I don't normally go at that time.

But her workout went as follows:

Squats: 45 x 6, 65 x 8, 85 x 8, 95 x 3, 115 x 2, 135 x 1.5, 135 x 1, 95 x 7

A 45 per side... nice progress, chica. :) The first few sets were strictly warm-up, work sets started at 115 x 2

Stiff legged deadlifts:

65 x 6, 95 x 10, 95 x 8

Form felt a bit awkward, according to her. But it got nice and tight by the last set.

Leg press:

(135 x 8?) 225 x 8, 275 x 8, 275 x 8

Nice depth. Last set definitely done to failure. lol.

Calf raises:

275 x 10, 315 x 10, 365 x 10

Good poundage. :D

Did I miss anything?

Apparently this lacked sparkle, so I will add the following news: Andrea looks like she's going to kill someone when she exerts herself. She also can't keep her hands off me in the gym. She flirts relentlessly. But... it was fun going today. :) If I didn't feel like sitting in a corner staring at the wall right now, I'd be more enthusiastic-sounding.

Oh, and apparently when I'm not lifting I'm no longer perceived by other gym members as a freak. Sweet!

Blood&Iron
04-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Went with Andrea to the gym today... I didn't lift. She did legs because she missed it sunday. :D

Crowded as sh*t, I'm glad I don't normally go at that time.

But her workout went as follows:

Squats: 45 x 6, 65 x 8, 85 x 8, 95 x 3, 115 x 2, 135 x 1.5, 135 x 1, 95 x 7

A 45 per side... nice progress, chica. :) The first few sets were strictly warm-up, work sets started at 115 x 2

Stiff legged deadlifts:

65 x 6, 95 x 10, 95 x 8

Form felt a bit awkward, according to her. But it got nice and tight by the last set.

Leg press:

(135 x 8?) 225 x 8, 275 x 8, 275 x 8

Nice depth. Last set definitely done to failure. lol.

Calf raises:

275 x 10, 315 x 10, 365 x 10

Good poundage. :D

Did I miss anything?
So how come she isn't telling us this in a journal of her own? Or is she simply uninterested?

Just some girl
04-08-2002, 04:49 PM
woohoo! that was fun :) :)

It was really weird, actually, to be in the gym with B and to not have people looking at him like he was a scary beast because of how much he was lifting. But of course he couldnt resist doing a set of zerchers anyway. Put the boy near heavy metal things and he just *has* to pick them up. sheesh. ;)

also, gotta say that it ROCKED to have the big 45lb plates on the bar while I squatted. so that was great. but during leg presses some chick was doing 315 on the machine next to me while I only did 275 for my max. That brought out my competitive side and kinda pissed me off, so next time im gonna prove I, too, can do that. :)

B&I....I'm not uninterested, just dont feel like lifting 5 times qualifies me to have a journal about it and all. But i suppose filling B's journal with my stuff isnt so good....(thats his fault though...he wrote the entry. so blame him ;))

anyway, yea. ok, im pooped. thanks for being my PT, B. ;)

Blood&Iron
04-08-2002, 05:23 PM

B&I....I'm not uninterested, just dont feel like lifting 5 times qualifies me to have a journal about it and all.

Since when did you need to be qualified to have a journal? It'd be mainly for you anyway, not to 'instruct' others. Besides, you're probably still more qualified to have a journal than me. So if you want one, make one.

Alex.V
04-08-2002, 05:47 PM
Hey, I think she should start one too... but since we usually go together, I'll record her stuff alongside mine for the time being. Once you get all hard core (and I'm sure you will :D) You're starting one. Capiche?

Just some girl
04-08-2002, 06:24 PM
you tell me to stay, you tell me that at some point im gonna start a journal....who do you think wears the pants around here anyway? geez!

:angel:

Alex.V
04-08-2002, 06:27 PM
Shhh. Sit. Stay.

Just some girl
04-08-2002, 06:29 PM
oooo.....you are going to be really sorry for that one later.

Alex.V
04-08-2002, 06:45 PM
I bet.

PowerManDL
04-08-2002, 06:46 PM
40 pages. I wonder what percentage is useless posts?

Alex.V
04-08-2002, 06:48 PM
Not counting the one you just made? :) probably about 50% or so.

Alex.V
04-09-2002, 09:51 AM
Back day:

Went pretty well. Again, a bit tired going in, but I looked really pumped today. :) Must have been all that gatorade before I worked out. Mmm, H20 and carbs.

err, right.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 6, +90 x 6, +135 x 1.5 + 2 negatives, +45 x 8

Not too bad. A little cold still.

One handed EZ-curl bar rows:

145 x 8, 180 x 6 (!), 110 x 10

Okay, last rep of 180 had a LITTLe cheating on the left side. Bah. Aight, well, next week, 185 x 5 is the goal. I WILL get 200 on these.

Bent-over BB row:

250 x 10, 275 x 7.5 (!)

haha. okay, these are now probably approaching my bench in strength, if not past it.

Biangular row:

500 x 0

bahaha. :)

475 x 2, 455 x 3, 425 x 5

Ah well. I found out that I can't do 5+ plates per side. live and learn.

Did some concentration curls, standing alternating dumbbell curls, and then did some pop-ups. The guy I was talking lifting with told me to stop swinging. I explained the point of pop-ups was to do explosive concentric, slow negative. He looked skeptical, so I did 15 regular pull-ups out of frustration.

Diet- perfect

Sleep- 7 hours

Other- I am dead sexy

That's it....

ericg
04-09-2002, 11:05 AM
crazy

ElPietro
04-09-2002, 11:15 AM
Hey just wondering why you do the single arm rows and then do bb rows after that? Or do you just love to row or something? :)

Alex.V
04-09-2002, 11:18 AM
I love to row. :)

Actually, the DB/EZ curl bar rows are nice, but I'm essentially pulling to different areas. The DB/ez curl bars are pure lat, whereas the barbell rows hit the rear delt/traps somewhat more. 'sides, doing them one-handed, the biceps tend to fail first. On barbell, it's almost certainly the back.

You do one rowing motion?

Just some girl
04-09-2002, 11:19 AM
***WARNING***
The following post is purely :spam: in content. If you find posts of this nature unsettling, upsetting, or disturbing in any way, please proceed directly to the next post. Viewer discretion is advised.

Other- I am dead sexy

That's it.... [/B]

ooohhh...you are....:drooling:

ElPietro
04-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Well I guess I'm doing two as well but i'm using the high row. It feels like a completely different motion though due to the angle and being stretched out when at the top of the ROM. I feel a good stretch in the lats as well. I just thought that the two bent over rows you do would feel close to the same but I guess it probably is significantly different.

Although it was funny that I was thinking of doing the single-arms with the ez-curl cuz i'm at the highest db my gym has now, and then I saw them in your journal a little while back. :)

Alex.V
04-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Well, yeah, the hand position, body position, ROM, etc. is all different on both. :)

Go for the single arms on the EZ curl bar. Don't hesistate to use straps, though. It's horribly unstable as is, and any slip will cause it to dump forward or backwards, so use straps for stability. People will look at you like you're a freak. Which is always fun. But more than that, they're a great exercise. :)

Alex.V
04-09-2002, 11:29 AM
***WARNING***
The following post is purely :spam: in content. If you find posts of this nature unsettling, upsetting, or disturbing in any way, please proceed directly to the next post. Viewer discretion is advised.

ooohhh...you are....

LOL

Thanks hun. :)

Alex.V
04-10-2002, 12:59 PM
Update- DOMS in my biceps.... for the first time in MONTHS.

Not sure what I did differently... maybe the extra set of curls, but I don't think that was much more intense than my usual biceps workout. Maybe the heavy biangular rows? I have no idea, but I'm loving it. I know this won't imply more growth, but it means I did SOMETHING right, IMO, if, doing the same routine, I'm experiencing more muscle soreness than ever.

Alex.V
04-11-2002, 09:52 AM
Deadlifts/shoulders.

Damn good workout, I think. Felt tired as hell sitting through class this morning, but this time, I brought some gatorade with me. Drank it all down right before my workout; I think it made a difference. Problem usually being dehydration and a low level of electrolytes in the morning, methinks.

Anyway....

Deadlifts (no straps, no belt):

225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 2, 455 x 2

Still going light here. Every rep flew up, I'm fairly sure I've got 500 in me, easy. Grip is not a problem. It's weird doing them without straps, my problem initially was hesitation when I gripped the bar... was I going to lose it or not? But just dropping down, grabbing the bar, and pulling without hesitation (dip, grip, and rip, right latty?) makes it much easier.

Deadlifts off 4.5" pins:
(first set w/o straps, later sets with straps, all with no belt.)

495 x 2, 585 x 2, 635 x 1 (!)

Holy f*ck. lol. I can't believe I got that up. 6 plates and a 25 per side. The pull was actually hard as hell, and I thought I'd miss the lockout, but it eventually came. Sweet.

At this point I was pretty tired.

Standing military press:

155 x 8, 185 x 9 (!)

Shoulder bothering me a bit. ARGH! But adopting a split stance, and leaning back a tiny bit seems to help somewhat.

Lateral raises:

35 x 10, 40 x 10, 40 x 10

Shoulders are definitely getting bigger, I can tell the difference. Actually getting some vascularity in the anterior delt when they get pumped, strange, because even at ultra low bodyfat I didn't have appreciable vascularity there.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 12, 110x2 x 12

Bah. Bigger dumbbells needed. So I'm using a 2-3-3 tempo (concentric, hold, eccentric) These are LONG sets. heh.

Talking to a trainer in the gym; she's a crew coach as well, so I figured she'd probably know more than Joe Shmoe PT. Asked her if her athletes had trouble with shoulder injuries... looking at mine, she seemed to think it might be a biceps tendon issue, which I was starting to suspect, given that I do plenty of rotator work, and those muscle feel strong. So I'm thinking I'll focus on more rear delt work for a little while, maybe some bent-over laterals and light upright rows. Who knows.

Diet- perfect.

Sleep- 6.5 hours. doh.

That's it.

Just some girl
04-11-2002, 09:59 AM
Shoulders are definitely getting bigger, I can tell the difference. Actually getting some vascularity in the anterior delt when they get pumped, strange, because even at ultra low bodyfat I didn't have appreciable vascularity there.

vascularity? as in worms?? popping out???

oy....

;)

...oh yea....and a 635? you f*cking RULE! :D

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-11-2002, 10:11 AM
What grip do you use when you don;t use straps, B?

Mixed or normal?

Alex.V
04-11-2002, 10:14 AM
I use a normal grip (double overhand) up to 405, then beyond that I switch to a mixed grip. I can hold about 450 or so overhand with a hook grip without tape, probably more if I tape my thumbs... but that's not comfortable.

A- you're gonna make me blush....

Just some girl
04-11-2002, 10:20 AM
...wait...you blush?

Alex.V
04-11-2002, 10:22 AM
You know how shy and modest I am.

ericg
04-11-2002, 11:54 AM
What kind of problems are you having with your shoulder??

MonStar1023
04-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Awesome workout Belial, completely in aw. Good job man keep it up! Awesome dead strength. 635!? :eek::eek:

MS

John_Galt
04-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Hey Belial,

Another great workout! :thumbup:

Like you mentioned, it seems that you're running out of weight for your shrugs and are forced to do more reps than you might otherwise like.. (A problem I can't ever see myself running into.. argh!) Have you considered using something else to shrug with - ie. One of those shrugging bars (that you stand in the middle of) or something else that will allow you to load up the poundage? Just a thought, because otherwise I'm going to check back to your journal in a few weeks and I'll see the following:

DB shrugs:
110x2 x 43, 110x2 x 39 :p

Once again, thanks for the inspiration!
JG

Alex.V
04-11-2002, 02:10 PM
eric- Right along the front side of the joint. I think my rotator muscles are tight, but not causing the problem. Pain when I bring the arm up forward and across my body.

Monstar- thanks man. Gotta remember, though, this is off 4.5" pins, much easier. I could MAYBE pull 100 pounds less from the floor. Just doing the deads from that height was enough to almost knock the wind out of me. lol.

John- You know, shrugging bars, (trap bars?), I wish we had one. We don't. I also don't really like barbell shrugs much, I suppose by that point I'm sick of holding the damn thing. The DBs are a much more natural motion for me anyway. lol. I don't see my reps going that high, I'll likely start using rope to attach plates under the dumbbells before I do that, or slowing my tempo further. Thanks for the comments, though. Appreciate the kind words.

Blood&Iron
04-11-2002, 02:15 PM

John- You know, shrugging bars, (trap bars?), I wish we had one. We don't. I also don't really like barbell shrugs much, I suppose by that point I'm sick of holding the damn thing. The DBs are a much more natural motion for me anyway.

My problem with BB shrugs is that I knock the damn bar into my nuts on every rep, which makes it kinda difficult to concentrate. Maybe I just have short arms.

ericg
04-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

My problem with BB shrugs is that I knock the damn bar into my nuts on every rep, which makes it kinda difficult to concentrate. Maybe I just have short arms.

Happens to me too, I need to get some good DB's.

hardbodygrl
04-11-2002, 07:53 PM
I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL the love....

Belial sweetie,, do i read this correctly???
lol Is you E key broke or have u picked up my habbit with out realizing it?????????:clap: :hump: