PDA

View Full Version : HEY, why not.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

heathj
04-11-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

My problem with BB shrugs is that I knock the damn bar into my nuts on every rep, which makes it kinda difficult to concentrate. Maybe I just have short arms.

Maybe your nuts are just too large.

heathj
04-11-2002, 08:01 PM
btw, welcome hardbodygirl...you're welcome to check out my journal anytime, instead of this guy's. He's a loser :)

Blood&Iron
04-11-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by hardbodygrl

Belial sweetie,, do i read this correctly???
lol Is you E key broke or have u picked up my habbit with out realizing it?????????:clap: :hump:
This better be merely a name change for "just some girl"

Otherwise, I'm gonna say both of 'em are Belial and doc is complicit in this tawdry charade.

My admirer is real, though.

Alex.V
04-11-2002, 08:09 PM
Oh dear. lol. Well, that pushes me over the 1000 post mark. No, B&I, sorry, different people. :)

hbg- catch me on IM some time, I'm out for the evening, though.

Chris Rodgers
04-11-2002, 08:32 PM
Dip
Grip
Rip

:thumbup:

Amazing pull off 4.5" pins!!

Aren't you itching to see what you could rip off the floor?? Dpending on where your weakness is you may be damn close to 6 plates.

hardbodygrl
04-11-2002, 08:37 PM
B&I i can assure u I am not just some name change,,,hehehe :-)

heathj
04-11-2002, 08:38 PM
Wrong journal...again! :thumbdown:

hardbodygrl
04-11-2002, 08:46 PM
haha sorry Heathj show me a link ill go check it out!

Blood&Iron
04-11-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by hardbodygrl
B&I i can assure u I am not just some name change,,,hehehe :-)
Life just isn't fair, I guess.

heathj
04-12-2002, 11:21 AM
Haha, ace! :thumbup: I see that I live where you do :D

HK
04-12-2002, 06:42 PM
Maybe?

Alex.V
04-13-2002, 11:19 AM
F*ck. That's it. No more drinking, and from now on I get more sleep.

Woke up tired, went to the gym tired and dehydrated, barely snapped out of it. Should I have taken the day off? No. F*ck that.

Chest/triceps:

Decided to adopt a real PL style for the bench... lower back slightly arched, knees bent a bit more, etc. Made a big difference. Took the reps gingerly, but it felt easier.

BB Bench:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 260 x 2, 280 x 2, 315 x 1

Not bad. I'm staying at 315. When that weight flies up, and I think I could easily crank out two competition-legal, paused reps, full ROM, without pain, I'll bump it up. Not before that. I'm sick of shortchanging myself by cheating or moving up before I'm ready, and hurting my shoulder.

DB bench:

110x2 x 11 (!), 110x2 x 8

Dammit. I was going to go for more in the second set, but some guy came up behind me and decided to spot me. Normally not a problem, but it threw my concentration and when he spotted me he pushed the DB's inwards. Oh well.

DB flyes:

65 x 8, 65 x 8, 70 x 8 (!)

At least something's improving.

Weighted dips:

+90 x 6, +145 x 5 (!)

Solid reps. Wuhoo! Plus a really long, slow, controlled negative.

CGBP:

240 x 4 (!)

Decent.

Found my sticking point for sure in the bench, btw. It's NOT right off the chest. It's about 5-6" off the chest. THAT's where my strength tanks out. That's where the lockouts were that I was doing before... but I'm trying to figure out what else will work that weak spot. Latty? CGBP lockouts from 5" off the chest? What do you think? I need to improve this goddamn lift.

Anyway, I'm going to stuff myself today, and hope my leg day is covered in bold again.

Damn.

Diet- Not too horrible.

Sleep- 5.5 hours. :(

Just some girl
04-13-2002, 11:45 AM
on the upside, you are very cute when tipsy :nod:

Franco
04-13-2002, 12:55 PM
Hey B, you might wanna give floor presses ago if you really wanna go into the PL groove and it will help your bench

Chris Rodgers
04-13-2002, 01:00 PM
That's exactly what I said too Franco.

I suggested perhaps cycling in some board presses, floors and lockouts with a 4-6" ROM to try and help.

I need to do the same thing. My next program features a lot of board pressng, so we'll see.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-13-2002, 01:21 PM
When you hoist the DB's into position, do you not find that this takes a lot out of you?

I think i could manage at least one more rep if i had some dudes throw one of them up for me, but i kinda refuse help (except for when i lie back and try to get into the initial position - i tend to stick right about here :()

PowerManDL
04-13-2002, 03:00 PM
I like the floor press recommendation as well-- In fact, I'll probably do that next week.

heathj
04-13-2002, 05:52 PM
Don't drink much on nights before you workout, fewl.

MonStar
04-13-2002, 06:53 PM
DB flyes:

65 x 8, 65 x 8, 70 x 8 (!)

Hehe did chest and triceps today too, haha you blew my f*cking doors off on every exercise except for this one, I matched you except I was one rep less... ;);) Ill be getting there eventually haha.

MS

MonStar
04-13-2002, 06:54 PM
Weighted dips:

+90 x 6, +145 x 5 (!)

F*cking unbelievable, my goal is +150 for 4. Holy f*ck you basically have that. :eek::eek:

MS

Alex.V
04-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Board presses... yup yup, good idea. Monstar, thanks to you, increasing the flyes is a top priority. :)

Worked out with Andrea again, she did excellent as always.

Squat at 95 for 8 reps, easy, 135 for a few sets of doubles (edit: triples). SLDLs at 95, leg press up to 3 plates per side (Competitive, much? :) ), and calf raises at 405. Never afraid to increase the weight or push herself. Good job. ;)

Proud of ya again. :thumbup:

A friend of hers came, too. He did upper body, I ran him through a quick routine. He did very well, seemed eager to learn and try everything, but it was a bit chaotic trying to work out my own routine at the same time.

Speaking of mine...

Barbell squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 6, 460 x 5 (!), 495 x .5

Well, few things here. First, I think I was still depleted. Being at work yesterday, snacking on protein bars without enough fluids for hours... not good. Second, though I slept a while, that was 11 hours without food. Third, breakfast was only about 45 minutes before squatting. Fourth, I increased my fourth set from 380 to 405. That definitely made a difference in how I felt going into the heavy set. Finally, on the heavy set, I was very concerned with getting low enough, because I felt this needed work. As a result, I bottomed out on the first rep, as far as my hips could go, and I think my power suffered a little. I almost had the 495, strength was fine going down, I didn't fail on the descent like last time, but I just didn't have it in me to power it up. No big deal. Next week, 460 for 6 or 7, then I move up again.

Below parallel squats:

405 x 4

No box squats today. My glutes and hams were fried. I figured it wouldn't do me any good.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 455 x 8 (!)

Strong as always, so I'm definitely not getting any weaker. Made me feel better about the squats.

Leg press:

855 x 8, 1,035 x 8 (!)

Didn't feel hard at all. Definite strength increase here. I think at this point, all the water I had been drinking was finally in my muscles, and my breakfast was digested.

Calf raises on sled:

1,035 x 8, 1,035 x 8, 765 x 22 (!)

Strong, intense sets. Calves are actually 16.5". Suckie compared to most, but better than they've been. About a half inch increase in the last month.

That was it. Still pissed about the squats, but my increase in strength in all my other lifts leads me to think that it was due to the factors I mentioned. I'm a little discouraged, but I realize that I can't expect to progress at 5 pounds a week forever. Time to work on depth, and slow down the increase. I also need knee wraps, dammit.

Diet- hahaha. Sucked.

Sleep- 9 hours.

rookiebldr
04-14-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Belial
... Second, though I slept a while, that was 11 hours without food. Third, breakfast was only about 45 minutes before ...

I run into the same thing every weekend when I work out. I get up and eat quickly then off to the gym. Do you have a recommendation on what I should eat prior to going to the gym, which would get the meal digested as quickly as possible? I've been eating cereal (Vector or Vive) along with a protein drink about 60 mins prior to lifting.

BTW, awesome lifts, great progress.

PowerManDL
04-14-2002, 06:55 PM
B-- I was planning on doing pause squats in place of the box squats to work on that stall out of the hole. Maybe consider giving that a shot-- it really helped me out even on the top-end stuff.

Alex.V
04-14-2002, 07:28 PM
Rookiebldr- Yeah, actually, stuffing your face too soon before the gym is counterproductive.. You can get stomach cramps, it sucks up water, redirects blood, etc. At the best, you get partial absorption and indigestion. I usually try to eat at least 1.5 hours before the gym, and even then it's whole wheat bread and a protein shake. Longer before if I'm doing squats or deadlifts. Next time this happens, I'm downing an N-large, and maybe grabbing a gatorade at the gym.

Power- I may just try those. How much weight would you use? I could probably do a credible 365, unless you're talking about an extended pause. (4+ seconds). But I'll definitely given them a try. I want to keep my squats legal, not just increase the poundage. A 550 squat is nothing if it doesn't break parallel.

PowerManDL
04-14-2002, 07:35 PM
Since you'd be looking to increase depth and strength out of the hole, moderately heavy-- say, ~80-85% of your normal working weight.

Try a 2-3 second hold for 2-4 reps-- the isometric portion doesn't have to be very long to get the effect. After that, as fast as you can out of the hole; remember that the intent of speed is more relevant than the actual speed.

These seem to be a lot more helpful because they train the actual movement of the competition squat-- explosive movement generated from an isometric action.

Alex.V
04-15-2002, 12:08 AM
Sounds like a plan. If I remember, I'll try those next week after (hopefully) nailing that 460 for 7!. :)

Oh, and dilemma of the night...

Do I keep training to look pretty, or do I finally decide to go all-out for strength? Because I'm trying to do both. And one is bound to suffer.

I have no idea.

xraygirl
04-15-2002, 12:30 AM
I don't see how your appearance would suffer if you train for strength. Unless you use the whole strength-quest thing as an excuse to eat like a pig which, by the way, I don't see happening.
Uh...not that you were asking for my opinion, just thought I would share...

Jane
04-15-2002, 04:31 AM
Strength.

Blood&Iron
04-15-2002, 07:00 AM

Do I keep training to look pretty, or do I finally decide to go all-out for strength? Because I'm trying to do both. And one is bound to suffer.

I have no idea.
I vote for pretty.

But I think that was sort of a foregone conclusion...

Franco
04-15-2002, 07:28 AM
I vote for westside!!!!!!

heathj
04-15-2002, 08:49 AM
Prettiness! You'll be ripped and still have the strength...either one will come with the other, as long as you keep your diet consistent. So I don't think it really matters which one you pick as long as you don't follow a PL'ers diet ;)

hardbodygrl
04-15-2002, 08:59 AM
Oh Belial, you know you will be "pretty" either way u train! ;)

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-15-2002, 11:43 AM
I'd be disappointed if you decide to go either way - i kinda respect you most for being a bodybuilder with a powerlifter's strength!

ElPietro
04-15-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
I'd be disappointed if you decide to go either way - i kinda respect you most for being a bodybuilder with a powerlifter's strength!

Yeah soon you'll be wearing shirts and suits if you let them brainwash you. Beware the darkside... ;)

hardbodygrl
04-15-2002, 03:41 PM
lol no Belial will be wearing scrubs soon!!!!! :-)

Savannah
04-15-2002, 03:49 PM
I doubt your looks will go B :) if you go full out for strength.

the doc
04-15-2002, 04:25 PM
b if your planning on med school you need to take 151/152 organic right?

Adam
04-15-2002, 04:33 PM
I agree with Fangel:)
You can train for strength and still have a great body, just have to eat right.

Pup
04-15-2002, 04:47 PM
Strength Strength Strength

If you continue to eat clean, you'll be a powerlifter, you just won't look like one ;)

MonStar
04-15-2002, 06:20 PM
Awesome strength as always man. Keep up the hard work and consistency. :D:D

Sleep- 9 hours. :thumbup::thumbup:

... Thats whatsup bro.

MS

Chris Rodgers
04-15-2002, 07:42 PM
Start training specificaly for strenth and do some meets in the NY/NJ area with us foo!!

Just some girl
04-15-2002, 08:51 PM
doc, yeah, he does. woohoo! orgo! yea orgo! that RULES! er....oh, wait. no it doesnt. (well, you probably think it does, PhD in it an all....oh well. ;) )

anyway, i am gonna throw my 2 cents into the discussion. B...(haha...im still calling you B...i still dont know your name...hahaha)...i think you should do what is going to make you happy. And by your own admission, it doesnt seem like that's going to be lifting for strictly body building purposes. And i have to say (i think im qualified to say this, too...) even if you were to train with primarily PL goals in mind, you would not lose the aesthetic appeal that you currently have. It might not put you in bodybuilding competition shape, but you wouldnt stop being <grunt grunt> pretty. ;)

thats all from me. :)

oh yea...and this....:hump:

Alex.V
04-15-2002, 09:07 PM
LMAO.

Wow, I didn't expect half this many replies. Thanks for your input, all of you. I really mean that. :) I read them all, and am taking them all into account.

I guess my dilemma is, I would never allow my diet to go to sh*t, etc., and I would never get "fat", hell, to stay competitive, I'll need to keep my bf pretty low. But, certain muscle groups would suffer I'm sure. And it might be frustrating NOT to get any larger, especially considering my goals are still slightly beyond where I am. But yes, pure bodybuilding does not hold any appeal for me whatsoever. I like the mix.. I like looking more or less like I train for aesthetics, but being able to move a good amount of weight. But I think today I realized that I may start to stagnate if I keep this up, or at least, progress slower than I'd like at either (size and strength) if I chose to specialize. Any of you PLers here, have you noticed any change in proportions since you started going exclusively PL? I can't imagine there wouldn't be.

Besides, I like my concentration curls. *cries*

Grr, I dunno. Thanks for all the kind words, too. (Those that uttered them; Sav, HBG. :D ) Though I disagree that I'm currently "pretty".

Latty, that's still the plan. If I get my total up, I may do a meet with y'all in... November?

Doc, yup, I'll be taking orgo. Wuhoo! Rock on.

I guess, after reading the replies, and talking to some people, I might stick with what I'm doing now... at least for the next few months. If I REALLY start to stagnate with this current split, I may start benching twice a week (One day dynamic, one day ME), and discarding some of the foo-foo work. Once I hit that point, I'll know it's time to specialize a little. If I can reach my appearance goals, then get stronger, all will be... well, ace.

JSG- (haha, I call you this because I don't know your name either) :hump:

Maki Riddington
04-15-2002, 10:04 PM
I vote pretty.
Prettiness takes time.:)

My strenght is currently kapoot.
I don't care cause I wannabebig!!!!

hardbodygrl
04-15-2002, 10:20 PM
Incase anyone has forgotten,, heheh Looks, strength , size whatever it maybe only gets you so far!

Belial, ur getting like me, STOP IT!!!! lol we dont need to HBG's!! haha

heathj
04-15-2002, 11:13 PM
hbg..how about you send me some pictures? :D Maybe I'll turn into a hardguy..I mean...yeaaaaaah...;)

hardbodygrl
04-15-2002, 11:33 PM
heathj, i think u have been lifting One to many Dumbells!!!! hehehehehe j/k

Pup
04-16-2002, 05:26 AM
<-------looks at pics of HBG

that's a bummer you aren't seeing these heath, she's mighty fine :)

the doc
04-16-2002, 07:08 AM
heath and pup- quit wankin' it to HBG's pics

lol

yes hardbody you are "pretty" already so you should be training for strength woman!

the doc
04-16-2002, 07:15 AM
b, when are you taking orgo? THis summer?

Orgo is cool :smoke:

Alex.V
04-16-2002, 10:11 AM
Yeah. Damn, boys, keep the perving outta my journal. Stick to private rejection via PM. :p

Doc, I still got a year of regular chem etc. before I take orgo. Next summer, maybe?

Anyway, my back day was totally sweet. :)

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 6, +135 x 1.5 + 3 negatives.

No idea why I couldn't get two reps on 135. But the other sets felt very strong.

Bent-over DB/one handed EZ curl bar rows:

145 x 7, 185 x 5 (!), 110 x 10

On the left side, I had to cheat to get rep 5. Ah well. Still, felt VERY nice. Back was pretty burnt already. These are doing me well, I think i finally got the stability down. Ace.

Bent-over BB rows:

250 x 10, 275 x 8 (!)

Going for 9-10 reps next week, then I move up.

Biangular row:

425 x 5 (!)

Absolute hell. It was a struggle. I may stay here next week, if I increase reps elsewhere in the routine.

Concentration and DB curls... gotta pump my gunz, yo.

:p :rolleyes:

Diet- Pretty damn good! :)

Sleep- Pretty damn sh*tty! :(

thas' it.

Chris Rodgers
04-16-2002, 10:17 AM
All lifts are great as usual, ut that Barbell row is massive!! What type of grip you using?

PS- It's on in November. You better hope you're not in my buddy Pete's class. :p

Alex.V
04-16-2002, 10:20 AM
Thanks, man. Overhand grip, slightly wider than shoulder width on the BB row.

Dude, at 220, 9% bf, I have about 198-200 pounds LBM. There's no way I could compete at 198 without significant muscle loss. So, 220 it is. Ah well, it'll be fun. I figure a 1400 total by then, at least. Not great, but....

Chris Rodgers
04-16-2002, 10:24 AM
It's not Chucky V, but damn impressive for someone who hasn't even focused on PLing yet.

That would be a great showing. I'm praying to the Squat Gods that I can get my total up to 1,200 by November, but they haven't gotte back to me yet. :D

MonStar
04-16-2002, 12:17 PM
Bent-over DB/one handed EZ curl bar rows:

145 x 7, 185 x 5 (!), 110 x 10

Bent-over BB rows:

250 x 10, 275 x 8 (!)

Awesome strength man!! Keep it up bro. Really really impressive, I cant get over some of your lifts holy sh*t. :eek::eek:

MS

Herc
04-16-2002, 01:29 PM
Hey Belial

Have you posted pics lately? the last ones I've seen are probably a year old (or more) and you wern't anywhere near 220. How about sharing some success with the board!

:thumbup

Adam
04-16-2002, 01:37 PM
B, I've been doing strict p'lifting training for a year now and i haven't lost much size off muscles like biceps. I've only trained them maybe 2 times in the last year though:) You could always add in curls and stuff into your routines

Alex.V
04-16-2002, 05:40 PM
Monstar, thanks man. I think my BB row is stronger than my bench. lol.

Herc, you know, I guess I figured I'd post pics when I was happy how I looked... but I still ain't. lol. Soon, though. Even though I don't particularly care to have my physique critiqued (I know my weak spots), it might still be fun....

Adam- I guess they don't shrink, huh? But those other parts certainly don't develop. Then again, if I did too many foo-foo exercises like curls, wouldn't that be missing the point of a PL routine?

Just some girl
04-16-2002, 06:08 PM
no, he has to tan and primp and prep and flex first in front of a mirror a lot before he can document it in picture form. ;) (ok, im kidding about the flexing in front of a mirror...that's that silly guy at WilRec who works out in flipflops that does that. but still....;))

Chris Rodgers
04-16-2002, 07:06 PM
B- you could do curls and whatnot.....but we are gonna rag on you, especially if they are concentration curls. ;)

ericg
04-17-2002, 08:03 AM
220 @ 9%, very nice!!

Awesome lifts. as usual

Maki Riddington
04-17-2002, 08:14 AM
I'd be interested in seeing some pics.
I haven't seen your old ones.

Alex.V
04-17-2002, 10:43 AM
All right, I'll get some taken. Maybe next month. :)

Went into the gym today, worked out with andrea again. It didn't go so well for me, I've never had so much muscle soreness from a leg day as I did last sunday, so I could have used the extra day, and deadlifting the day after back day is maybe not such a great idea. But, she did an incredible job, and my lifts were.... well.... not horrible.

She started out deadlifting with me, started at 95 off 1" plates, went to 115 off 1" plates, and then managed to pull 135 from the floor, clean. First time deadlifting from a dead stop. Put on another 2.5 on each side, and pulled 140 for two singles. :) Pretty damn cool, I thought. Then she did arms, and a little bit of shoulders. Oh, and weighted decline crunches with a 30 (or was it 35?). Either way, she did good!

Me:

Some light deadlifts, no straps, no belt:

225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 2, 460 x 1 (!)

Didn't feel like pulling twice, since my grip was slipping. I need chalk! The knurling on the bars is nonexistent! I'm going to start counting these as PRs, because previously I was lifting with straps and belt. It's a whole new ball game without them. I'm sure I could pull 30-40 pounds more, fairly easily, but I don't want to push it too hard just yet.

4.5" deads, no belt:

495 x 1, 585 x 1, 640 x 0, 640 x .5

Damn. I got distracted on the first 640, spent too long dawdling at the bottom, I think the power rack was threatening to tip over. So my first lift was a bust, but I strained at it. Strength wasn't topped up for the second, and I managed to pull it halfway, then got stuck for a few seconds. I think I might have been able to lock it out, but I might have injured myself. I was pissed.

Standing BB military:

155 x 8, 185 x 7.

I was pissed. I wasn't really weaker this week, I was just too irritated at my missed lift to push myself. I need to get over that.

Lateral raises:

40 x 8, 40 x 8, 40 x 8

Finished up with some shrugs and upright rows.

Saw the quintessential recreational juicer physique. Pretty big guy, very well developed upper body. I was impressed at first (even though I can do more on the seated DB press than him. heh. ;) ), but when he bent over to pick up a 100 from the floor, I saw his legs (through fabric.) Practically nonexistent. Too bad. By the bloated look in his delts and back, it looked like he was probably on a lot of sh*t. It's a shame he's not working on those legs, he had great development otherwise, might actually be competitive. But, to each his own.

Overall not a bad workout. Not great, but hopefully the two days rest before saturday will give me some time to recuperate properly. I wanna tear it up this weekend! :D Time to start progressing again.

Diet- pretty good.

Sleep- 6.5 hours

ElPietro
04-17-2002, 11:03 AM
Standing BB military:

155 x 8, 185 x 7.

I hate you.

xraygirl
04-17-2002, 06:09 PM
Tell Andrea to start a workout journal here...or else ;)

MonStar
04-17-2002, 07:22 PM
4.5" deads, no belt:

495 x 1, 585 x 1, 640 x 0, 640 x .5

Damn bro f*ck my strength over. MonSTAR much? Anyway my goal for rack pulls is 495, that is around knee level without straps. Thats good for my this is like my 4th or 5th time doing deadlifts my whole life. Anyway hope to get 5 plates per side in the next few months. ;);)

... I can see that youre coming close to a triple BW deadlift.. Jesus. 660 and you got it man right?

MS

Alex.V
04-17-2002, 07:35 PM
Deadlift from 4.5" off the ground, bro. Not off the floor. :) Once I hit 650, I'll see if I can find a way to slowly lower the weight, maybe a half inch a week, or every other week.

See how close to the ground I can get that bad boy. :D

MonStar
04-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Belial-
Good luck with it man, very very impressive holy f*ck. Triple BW deadlift.. jeez. :eek::eek:

MS

Alex.V
04-18-2002, 08:16 PM
heh. Mebbe... not so impressive, considering it's been done by others on this board.

But I got my knee wraps now! :D They're ace. I'm keeping my squat at 460 this week, and I'll see how they help.

MonStar
04-19-2002, 10:27 AM
I was wondering what do you think of a triple BW rack pull? Is that impressive? Without straps I mean from knee level. Its obviously not as good as a regular triple BW dead but I might make that my 2nd goal after I get 595 for 4. :D:D

MS

Alex.V
04-20-2002, 11:41 AM
Chest day. Blah.

It didn't go too badly. Since Andrea hasn't started a journal, I'll just say that she's benching 90 pounds, and did this after aerobics. Nicely done. :)

Also using 35's for DB rows on her first time doing them... so, good strength, and good progress.

Mine, not so great.

I AM switching up my routine completely next week. My shoulder simply prevents me from pushing it on the bench, I lower the bar so slowly and gingerly, that by the time I get to the bottom, my strength is half gone. The weak link is my triceps, anyway. So next week, I'll likely start with some light benching, maybe up to 275, then move straight to close grips, paused bench, and then the rest of my routine. I figure if I progress on the paused bench and close grips, my regular bench will likely increase, without putting the stress on my shoulder that the latter would. I'm also dropping military presses from my shoulders day. They're simply not good for my rotators.

Flat BB bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 255 x 3, 275 x 2, 315 x 1, 275 x 4

Not bad, the 315 hesitated somewhat, I needed some assistance. It took me about 4 seconds to lower it, and I really didn't want to push too hard. Ugh.

Paused BB bench (3-3-x)

235 x 7 (!)

I'll try going up 5 pounds a week here. When these are 250 for 7 reps, I'll be in business.

DB bench:

110x2 x 8, 110x2 x 8

DB flyes:

70 x 8, 75 x 7 (!)

Hey, look, progress.

Skullcrushers:

135 x 8, 155 x 8, 155 x 6

I'm dropping the dips for now. It's too much on my wrists and shoulders, so I'll do these until I recover.

CGBP:

245 x 3.5

Heh. Way too tired at this point.

So, it was discouraging, but I'm hoping that changing my routine will let my shoulder heal once and for all. I'm sick of letting it heal during the week, only to mess it up on thursday and have it be weak on saturday.

Diet- Good. Too low in calories, I think maybe.

Sleep- 6.5 hours.

MonStar
04-20-2002, 11:46 AM
Flat BB bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 255 x 3, 275 x 2, 315 x 1, 275 x 4

Awesome strength here man... hoping to get 275 for 4 in the next few months. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Then Ill be near your strength.. Jesus.

DB flyes:

70 x 8, 75 x 7 (!)

Awesome strength here man, I am going for the 72.5s today on flat flyes - see how that goes.

Skullcrushers:

135 x 8, 155 x 8, 155 x 6

Really awesome strength here too bro. Very very very impressive. Hehe I am going for like 130 for 8 today. :redface::redface:

MS

MonStar
04-20-2002, 12:02 PM
I'm also dropping military presses from my shoulders day. They're simply not good for my rotators.

Are you going to be doing any OH presses at all? Also I wanted to ask you what is pause bench? Just 3 seconds up and 3 seconds down? Any kind of static hold?

MS

Alex.V
04-20-2002, 12:07 PM
Nope, NO overhead presses. These are exacerbating the problem. A pause bench is 3 seconds down, a 3 second static hold, and an explosive push. Brutal. :)

Good luck on the flyes, man. ;) And thanks.

MonStar
04-20-2002, 12:17 PM
You dont think that dropping all OH presses will mess up your delt development/symmetry? I would think that your traps would then dominate your delt/trap balance. Because I know that you wont be stopping deads, hehe. ;);)

MS

Alex.V
04-21-2002, 01:29 PM
Finally, a good workout. I think I needed it, psychologically. My knee wraps finally came in, so I can go down to legal depth without feeling like I'm going to fail, even on the early reps. They don't give me as much assist as I thought, and they make the walkout a little awkward. Once I get used to them, though (and used to wrapping them), they should be a great help.

Andrea was with me, and even though her legs were sore from god knows what, she managed to hit 140 for a single and a double, and then 145 for a single. Hamstrings were a little tweaked, so the SLDLs were at 95, but with good form. Leg press at 315, with dynamic resistance (push down at the top, pull a little at the bottom) courtesy of me. heh. :) Good job, girl. Very good job.

Myself:

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 385 x 6, 460 x 7 (!)

Felt like I might have had another rep, but didn't want to risk it. Felt strong, the first few reps actually felt easy. I think I need squat shoes, though. My sneakers just have zero ankle support.

Paused squats:

405 x 6 (!)

These were HARD. 3 second eccentric down to parallel, hold for 1.5-2 seconds, then an (attempted) explosive concentric. Very tough, but I like the way they felt. Very controlled, I felt like each rep was well within my capability.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 460 x 8 (!)

ROM lousy on one of the reps, but target muscles were hit. Strength still great on these, and my hamstrings definitely felt it afterwards.

Leg press:

855 x 8, 1,045 x 8.5 (!)

That last rep just wasn't happening. lol. I need to work on my breathing, though, I almost blacked out after these. Maybe I just stood up too fast....

Calf raises on sled:

1,045 x 10, 1,045 x 8, 855 x 18 (!)

Good. Actually, my calves don't look bad while I'm doing these. It's when I stop and stand up that they look like itty bitty twigs. Well, ~16.5" itty bitty twigs. Fook 'em.

Diet- Damn near perfect. Went out to eat, had steak last night. mmmm.

Sleep- 8 hours, give or take. No clue, really. Plenty. :)

das' it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-21-2002, 01:36 PM
When you do leg presses, how far down do your legs come? ie how close to the chest do you knees come?

MonStar
04-21-2002, 01:48 PM
Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 385 x 6, 460 x 7 (!)

Looking good man, keep it up!! Cant get over your f*cking squat strength its seriously unbelievable. Never seen anything like it.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 460 x 8 (!)

Leg press:

855 x 8, 1,045 x 8.5 (!)

Un f*cking believable. Still cant get over these kinds of poundages. Really really really impressive man. I still feel like there has to be some kind of trick to you making these kinds of gains. Its just seriously out of this f*cking world. :eek::eek:

MS

Alex.V
04-21-2002, 04:06 PM
Robboe- I put my arms across my stomach, and come down until my thighs touch them. Much further, and my lower back begins to round. Since my feet are fairly high up on the sled, it already pushes the limits of glute flexibility.

Monstar, thanks man. I honestly have no idea why my squat strength has gone up so much. I think a lot of it DOES have to do with getting spotters. it's amazing how much confidence comes into play here, and knowing you won't get stuck in the hole does a huge amount for your strength.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-21-2002, 04:34 PM
What's the rep range for them?

And how long does it take you to load/unload the apparatus?! :eek:

Alex.V
04-21-2002, 09:02 PM
I usually try to go for 8-9 reps on 'em. They're pure burnout, I do them until I NEED to use my hands to get the last rep. After them, I have trouble standing.

And it takes bloody forever to load and unload the f-ing thing! A self loading leg press, that's all I ask for. Even grabbing two plates at a time, it's more laborious than the exercise itself. heh.

heathj
04-21-2002, 09:33 PM
Kinda like loading up deadlifts...bending over to put on the damn weight is stressful on the back, especially when doing heavy sets...pain in the ass, I tell ya. Couldn't imagine 1000+ lbs. :p

Franco
04-22-2002, 05:03 AM
Do you do high bar squats or is the bar placed on your rear delts?

Also, how wide are are you currently squatting?

Alex.V
04-22-2002, 12:05 PM
Actually, I didn't really think about where the bar was placed until this week...

It's right across my traps, not my rear delts. Closer to high bar squats than anything else. How do these differ in terms of ease?

And I'm squatting wide as fook. ;) Feet touching the sides of the power rack. I'd want to squat wider if possible, but I lack the flexibility to hit legal depth if I go much beyond where I'm at.

Maki Riddington
04-22-2002, 12:17 PM
If my back is feeling better tonight I'm gonna see if that stance allows for a better lift.

I've never tried that stance.

Franco
04-22-2002, 12:38 PM
wide as fook. ;)

Most pl's in meets and in training have the bar placed on the rear delts as it fits snuggly into the groove. Though it does take some getting used to

Blood&Iron
04-22-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by FAngel

Most pl's in meets and in training have the bar placed on the rear delts as it fits snuggly into the groove. Though it does take some getting used to
I've always squatted this way--with the bar in the groove between my medial and rear deltoid--as putting the bar anywhere else makes it feel like my vertebrae are being crushed.

Jane
04-22-2002, 01:35 PM
When I met that competitive bodybuilder at the gym one day, he did suggest putting the bar lower on my back, mid delt, because it helps the bar become more of a part of your body. It will take getting used to though, it still feels akward for me, but I think it might be the better choice because I don't lean too far forward. I don't know, you may want to give it a try.

Maki---when B suggested the wide stance, my squat made giant leaps in poundage. I think you'll like it.

Alex.V
04-23-2002, 09:29 AM
Y'know, for some reason that just doesn't feel comfortable, like it's pushing me WAY forward. Maybe I lack the shoulder flexibility to put it lower.. I dunno, I'll give it a shot this sunday. Maki, wide stance = ace.

Back day:

Again, not enough time between breakfast and workout. grrr. So I had a gatorade in class, I think it helped some.

Weighted pull-ups:

+55 x 8, +90 x 6, +135 x 1.5 + 3 negatives.

No idea why these are stuck. Increase in body weight? More like, I'm still not warmed up at this point.

Bent-over DB/1-handed ez-curl bar rows:

145 x 8, 185 x 5.5 (!), 110 x 10

Ready to move up to 190. In a few weeks, I'd be maxxing out just about any gym in DB rows. Awesome. lol.

Bent-over BB rows:

250 x 10, 275 x 9.5 (!)

Cheated like hell on rep 10. heh. Next week, 255/280?

Bi-angular row:

430 x 5 (!)

Hmm, rep 5 may have been lousy on form. Staying here next week, these are a hell of a burn out.

Concentration curls and standing cable curls to finish off.

There's a guy I've seen around the gym for pretty much the entire year, turns out he's a law student yadda yadda. Actually learned his name for the first time last sunday when he helped andrea spot my squats. She's more social than I am, I guess. lol. Anyway, it turns out his bro (or was it cousin?) is a competitive bodybuilder up in Pennsylvania (pittsburgh area), and he might be down here graduation weekend. It'd be cool to lift with him.

Anyway,

Diet- good.

Sleep- just under 7 hours.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-23-2002, 09:34 AM
Maybe you should change what weights you use to warm up with for the pull ups? Have you warmed up with +55 and +90 for more than a few weeks? Maybe try +45 and +105 next week?

Alex.V
04-23-2002, 02:15 PM
I'm thinking about that... but the problem is, 90 pounds is already pretty difficult, even percentage-wise. 310 vs. 355 pounds is NOT a big difference, so I was actually considering DROPPING the 90, down to maybe +70 or 80. I dunno. Mebbe. :)

ericg
04-23-2002, 02:24 PM
Maybe try going heavy first (135), after a light warmup (probably just bw) and drop to 90/55.

Oh by the way, I wish I had your problems!!

MonStar
04-23-2002, 10:27 PM
Bent-over DB/1-handed ez-curl bar rows:

145 x 8, 185 x 5.5 (!), 110 x 10

Incredible strength bro, very very impressive. Hitting 200 lbs. dumbbells would be the sh*t.

Bent-over BB rows:

250 x 10, 275 x 9.5 (!)

... Awesome strength here too man. Very impressive. Keep up the good work dude seriously. ;);)

MS

heathj
04-23-2002, 10:45 PM
B doesn't use db's.

Alex.V
04-23-2002, 10:54 PM
No, I use an EZ curl bar in one hand. I'm that f*cking cool.

heathj
04-23-2002, 11:04 PM
:bow:

Alex.V
04-25-2002, 01:30 PM
Thas' right, heathie. Respek!

Deadlifts:

Took it real easy today, dropped the BB military for the time being to give my shoulder a break. Andrea came with me, did deads, shoulders, and arms. Saw doc there too around the midpoint of my workout, he was doin' some squattin'.

We were both feeling a little beat, I think the drinking last night didn't help, but she still did some pretty damn good DB shoulder presses for her first time, 15 lb. concentration curls, 35 lb. full ROM skullcrushers, and a couple of 45 lb. BB curls. We'll work those arms. ;)

Me:

Light deadlifts:

135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 5, 405 x 3, 465 x 1 (!), 405 x 3

Grip is still definitely an issue with these. It's not that my grip isn't strong enough, it's that the knurling on the bars is completely gone. I NEED CHALK! But still, the bar flew up on the 465, if I wasn't feeling so beat it would have gone up faster, most likely.

3" deadlifts:

500 x 1 (!)

Just did this for fun. I was already pretty beat from regular deads, and I'll go back to the 4.5" next week. But this felt good. Still, I copped out and used straps, so the lift was probably harder than it should have been.

Lateral raises:

40 x 8, 40 x 8, 45 x 8

Bent-over lateral raises:

30 x 6, 30 x 6

These are HUMBLING. Wow. lol. Still, that's more weight than I've seen most handle on this lift with good form.

Did some rotator cuff work, and

DB Upright rows:

70x2 x 8, 70x2 x 8

Some shrugs, too. Bah.

Diet- All right. Less beer, more food!

Sleep- 6.5-7 hours. Not really sure.

heathj
04-25-2002, 01:34 PM
haha my bo lateral raises are higher then yours..pussy :p

MonStar
04-25-2002, 01:49 PM
3" deadlifts:

500 x 1 (!)

Awesome man! Keep it up, crazy that your dropping all OH presses.

MS

Alex.V
04-25-2002, 01:52 PM
I got to, man. My shoulders can't take it. They even hurt on the lateral raises, which is why I'm going light on those. They're almost more for rehab than actualy muscle growth.

Heath, I think you were talking **** about my squat back in the beginning of this journal. We see how that turned out. stfu. :)

heathj
04-25-2002, 02:52 PM
Imagine if I was on the same supplements as you? ;)

Alex.V
04-25-2002, 03:05 PM
Creatine and nothing else for the past 5 months?

Jealousy is an ugly thing.

Assface. :)

heathj
04-25-2002, 03:08 PM
hahaha...you mean you didn't take in protein, even? Damn...What kind of creatine is that?!

Alex.V
04-25-2002, 03:09 PM
Powdered dbol.

;)

heathj
04-25-2002, 03:11 PM
I like to inject that shiat.

chris mason
04-25-2002, 05:43 PM
Looking good as usual!

the doc
04-25-2002, 09:59 PM
hell man your shoulders are big. Dropping the OH presses for a while will probably pay off in the long run

thanks for the help today you guys :thumbup:

I dont know about you , but legs are rapidly becoming my favorite day!

MonStar
04-25-2002, 10:28 PM
Must be powdered dbol, otherwise these strength gains wouldnt go on for 10 months. :eek::eek:

... J/k man, hard work pays off.

MS

Alex.V
04-26-2002, 08:25 PM
No Monstar, no dbol. :)

Chris, thanks a bunch. Props from you always mean a lot. Even though your deadlift currently kills mine (I figure a max of no more than 520-530), someday I hope to get close to your poundages.

Someday. Maybe. :)

Doc, thanks man. You really think they're a strong point? I AM worried a little about them lagging, even though I simply CAN'T do militaries for the time being. We'll see, maybe with saturday's light benching, and taking another week off the militaries, my shoulder will be back in shape. Spots were more than welcome, btw. Yeah legs. :D

the doc
04-26-2002, 08:54 PM
I think your shoulders are well developed. You could take time off of pushing and just keep working on your deads and squats. I be you wouldn't even tell a difference in appearence

I think i will take some time off of push- my elbow is bugging me

Alex.V
04-27-2002, 12:06 PM
Ooh, I want new shoulders. But I actually feel good about this new chest routine. btw, I think my shoulder problems are my external rotators in my left, and a biceps tendon strain in my right.

Andrea came with, her lats were still sore from some negative pull-ups on thursday, so the bench suffered at first. But, she did some good quick triples with 65 (and 6 reps at 65), paused reps with 55, etc. 25 lb DBs for DB bench, and 20 lbs on overhead tricep extensions. 10 lb DBs on very strict lateral raises as well. Nice. :)

Me:

Light BB Bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 255 x 4, 275 x 4

Paused bench:

245 x 5 (!)

(3-3-x tempo) These are tough as hell, but they feel VERY strong. When I can do 260 for 4-5 on these, I'll know I'm really getting somewhere.

Close grip bench press:

245 x 6 (!)

Easy. Last rep was slow, but this was just triceps fatigue. Again, these felt controlled.

DB bench:

110x2 x 9, 110x2 x 7 + long negative.

Close grip benching takes a lot out of my triceps. Go figure.

DB flyes:

70x2 x 8, 75x2 x 7, 75x2 x 7

Ready to move up, methinks.

Skullcrushers:

150 x 6, 140 x 5.5

lol. I was completely toast at this point. Form wasn't so good on the last rep of each set, but my triceps are quivering as I'm typing this, so I think I got a good workout. ;)

Diet- pretty damn good.

Sleep- Not too bad, 7 hours maybe?

Fart Barker
04-27-2002, 07:23 PM
Is your pause just touching your chest or a little above?

Alex.V
04-27-2002, 08:44 PM
It's maybe half an inch above, If it didn't bug my shoulder I'd have it touch my chest. Ever tried these? They're BRUTAL. lol

ericg
04-27-2002, 09:37 PM
Dam man you pause above your chest!! Carzy!!

Im wondering how does the DB bench effect your shoulders? Is it more comfortable? I have a RC problem in my left so I am trying to get some ideas.

MonStar
04-27-2002, 11:56 PM
Light BB Bench:

275 x 4

This is my goal for bench haha you consider it light bench. Thats just really really sad. Hehe. Awesome strength.

Skullcrushers:

150 x 6, 140 x 5.5

I am nearing you on these, not really still like 18.5 lbs. away but I did 132.5 for like 6-7 today. Thats pretty good for me. Strength looking awesome as usual man, keep it up. :thumbup::thumbup:

MS

Fart Barker
04-28-2002, 03:30 AM
Ever tried these? They're BRUTAL. lol not for 3 seconds, you're an animal :thumbup:

Alex.V
04-28-2002, 12:41 PM
Thanks Monstar. :) Though I'm going lighter now on skulls than I have in the past. ;)

*moo*

Leg day.

Not bad at all. New protocol for squats. One week I up the weight five pounds, and do five reps. Next week, same weight for 7 reps. After that, I up it again. Psychologically it seems to help. Yes, I'm upping the weight, but doing it for fewer reps. Then, once I know I can handle it for 5, I increase rep number.

Andrea came with. She had a great session, squatting 150 for two singles. Dropped down to 95 x 9, and 100 x 6. Leg press went well, low on the platform, narrow stance, 245 for a buncha reps on the last set. Calf raises, 425 on the second to last set, then 315 for 20. :) Well done!

Mine:

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 7, 315 x 7, 385 x 6, 465 x 5 (!)

Could have done more, but didn't. Last rep was nice and deep, kinda surprisingly so.

Paused squats:

405 x 4

Crap. lol. Last rep, I paused below parallel, held it too long, and barely made it up. I may as well start box squatting again, it feels almost the same.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 465 x 8 (!)

Felt very strong. Sh*tty ROM on one of the reps, but overall pretty solid.

Leg press:

855 x 8, 1,055 x 8 (!)

Again, crap ROM on one of the reps, but most were pretty nice. It's just fatigue at this point, I think I start to doubt my strength. Maybe longer breaks in between sets here.

Calf raises on sled:

1,055 x 8, 1,055 x 8, 855 x 20 (!)

Good strength. I actually noticed a little bit of definition in my calves. Wuhoo! uhhh, right. stfu.

Diet- Enough calories, but crap food. Went out to Mexican last night; my main dishes were okay (Chicken quesadillas, lean steak fajitas), but the nachos were salty as hell, so I'm looking a little puffy today.

Sleep- under 6 hours. :( I'll get more tonight!

Just some girl
04-28-2002, 12:47 PM
OY!! you do not look puffy! you may feel puffy, but you certainly don't look it female...

yay! i didnt have to miss leg day!! very very happy.:):):):):) :D

...oh yea, and...ROAR

the doc
04-28-2002, 04:34 PM
Good strength. I actually noticed a little bit of definition in my calves. Wuhoo! uhhh, right. stfu.

lol!

hey man are you using a narrow stance on the leg press or a wider stance (like how i was squattin' the other day)- You doing any assisted reps at all on the leg press?

jsg, keep up that squattin' woman! leg day rules!

PowerManDL
04-28-2002, 04:41 PM
It's maybe half an inch above, If it didn't bug my shoulder I'd have it touch my chest. Ever tried these? They're BRUTAL. lol

Told you. ;)

B, you've got that sticking point issue right off the chest anyway, don't you? I try to do the hold right at the sticking point for that very reason.

heathj
04-29-2002, 12:03 AM
My last rep on squats is either my worst or my best. Usually my best since I'm tired and allow myself to go down farther then usual, so it's quite deep...as long as I make it up :)

Maki Riddington
04-29-2002, 06:48 PM
Where those pics at foo!
You said in a weeks time.
Well times up.
I vaugely remember seeing a head shot of you awhile back.
I just want to see a body shot, nothing spectacular. So I can spend some more time being jealous and making up excuses as to why your strong and I'm not!

Alex.V
04-29-2002, 09:12 PM
Andrea, I did, and I still do. Ugh. Sickness makes me flat and soft. :(

Doc, leg press is a wide stance, near the top of the platform. Definitely feel these in my hammies/quads, not so much in the glutes. The last rep or two has a little help in the low position from my hands, but no forced reps. God, the last one with my hands assist is hellish enough. lol.

Powerman, all this paused work rules. Nothing makes you feel quite as strong, or like you can handle the weight better.

heath- yep, last rep you can give it your all. Take a deep breath, and say "One more, then I've done, make it count." :D

Maki- I'm bad. I suck. Then again, there hasn't been any sun. So I'm pasty white. And I look like shizat. hehehe. Gimme a little while, man. They'll get posted, or at least sent.

Just some girl
04-29-2002, 10:50 PM
I also think you should post some pictures. My reason, however, is that with all the "ooh"ing and "ahh"ing you will no longer be able to even pretend that there is anything bloated, flat, or soft about you....not because I want to share. ;)

the doc
04-30-2002, 06:47 AM
lol!

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-30-2002, 01:54 PM
Is it not tuesday? Where is the back workout update?

Alex.V
04-30-2002, 02:12 PM
Bah, still feeling sick. I'm doing back tomorrow, and hopefully the rest of the week will be on schedule. :D

ericg
04-30-2002, 02:23 PM
Hope you get well man!!

Alex.V
05-01-2002, 01:01 PM
Thanks man, I'm actually feeling much better. Decided to go back to the gym today, I couldn't take it.

Andrea came with, we did back together. Her goal is to be able to do a pull up, and she came damn close today, doing it from a dead hang with minimal assist from myself, and a fully controlled negative. We also did some mad rowing, and hammer curls. She kept talking about pumping her gunz. Okay, no, that was me. But still.

Oh, and I gave her a raspberry while she was resting between BB row sets. She thought that was highly inappropriate. :D

Myself:

Weighted pull ups:

+45 x 8, +80 x 6, +135 x 1.5 with a very long negative, and 8 shrug-downs. Not bad. Chalk up lack of improvement to being sick for the last few days, and I'm still not 100%.

DB/bent-over one handed EZ curl bar rows:

145 x 6, 190 x 5 (!), 110 x 10.

Left side on 190 wasn't so excellent. I'm going to drop it back to 185, and start increase the reps. The clips barely hold the plates on, and I'd rather not risk it.

Bent-over BB rows:

250 x 10, 280 x 8.5 (!)

Ugh. Mad cheating on rep 9. Staying here for a week or two.

Bi-angular row:

435 x 4 (!)

I'm not increasing these for a while. They're already starting to peak. 4 plates and a 25 per side.

3 sets Concentration curls and 2 sets hammer curls to finish off.

(50 pound dumbbells with each exercise, 8 reps on everything. Arms were already burnt)

Diet- Way off. Been too lousy feeling to take in enough calories.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

Thas' it, yo.

Just some girl
05-01-2002, 01:44 PM
my goal is actually to do lots of pull-up. and earn the name monkey girl because im just that f*cking good at them. booya! um...right. :D

and i think you should clarify that you did not do a rasberry at me, but actually did a rasberry on my stomach...while I was standing on the stupid elevated platform!! yea. i'd say that counts as highly inappropriate. gym buddy.

ok, im done freaking out ;)

it was very impressive today to see you doing those dumbell rows with the EZ curl bars. Jesus man! ;) oh yea, and that hilarious dynamic duo...too much! too friggin much! :D

Alex.V
05-01-2002, 02:07 PM
Aren't you supposed to be typing a paper? ;)

Seriously, you've got the top two thirds of the motion down, it's just that first 4-5 inches up from a dead hang that you've got to work through. Give it a few weeks, get that bicep strength up. Seems like you've already got the lat strength.

re: the raspberry... I'm telling you, you should have seen the look on your face. Priceless.

lol@ dynamic duo. Yep. Portly white guy and co. They're there all the time, and the white guy hasn't changed a bit. Nice enough, but should really pay more attention to what his (much larger) friend is doing.

chris mason
05-01-2002, 07:21 PM
Glad to see you are feeling better.

the doc
05-01-2002, 07:27 PM
who are these dynamic duos?

btw i just drove by your crib and there was a fire truck outside.
Everything cool?

Alex.V
05-01-2002, 08:00 PM
Thanks chris. Still not 100%, but definitely on the way.

Doc, two guys, a kinda chubby white guy and a larger black guy. You can't miss the white guy, he makes more noise than everyone else in the weight room put together. And has worse form to boot.

But.. didn't notice the fire truck. All is good over here. :)

the doc
05-01-2002, 08:14 PM
i think i know who your talking about

the doc
05-01-2002, 08:19 PM
man i was so pissed the other day. I had just finished my chest routine and was turning in my towell when this dumbass from business school drops some dumbbells after his decline set. The old grandpa looking monitor got up and told that guy not to drop the dumbbells. He got up in grandpa's face telling him "hey those are 60 lb db, what am i supposed to do"
I just started laughing in his face saying "man i dont seem to have a problem with dropping 'em"

If i see that guy mouth off again I'm gonna drop a 110 lb db on his foot. cocksucker

Pup
05-01-2002, 08:48 PM
60lbs for declines, the grandpa looking guy probably coulda took him...lol

the doc
05-01-2002, 09:22 PM
what a fukking pussy

MonStar
05-02-2002, 05:04 AM
+135 x 1.5 with a very long negative, and 8 shrug-downs

Awesome strength as usual - but what are shrug downs? And how long would you say your negative is? You said very long negative is that the 1/2 rep or the full rep?

MS

McBain
05-02-2002, 06:12 AM
DB/bent-over one handed EZ curl bar rows: 190 x 5 (!)

With 17000 views, something specials gotta be happening in here and holy jesus there is. dude that is f--ken insane for one arm row! omg seriously that is unbelieveable. i htink i might give them a try sometimes, i might start a bit lighter:D ive been doing them with 88lbs but thats as far as teh dumbbells go in my candy a-s gym:D

*decides to keep tuning in to this freak show*

Alex.V
05-02-2002, 11:45 AM
Monstar, I fail halfway up on the second, so I place a foot on the pin (I do pull-ups in the power rack, as long as the other one is open), and give myself enough of a boost to reach the top. Once up there, I remove my foot and try to lower myself on an 8-count. Shrug downs are when you go down to a dead hang, weight still attached, and contract your lats. Bring your shoulder blades together, and move your shoulder girdle down. Good lat burn-out after biceps have failed.

McBain- Thanks, man. I think the huge number of views are more due to frequency of updates and age of journal. I don't consider myself hugely strong or anything, but I'm working on getting there. :D Always been better on pulling motions, though. Compare my back workout to my chest workout. lol.

Anyway, not a bad day. Decided to take it very easy to give my knees and shoulders a break. Did some light deadlifting, and then some rehab shoulder work.

Light deadlifts, no straps, wraps, belt, or chalk:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 425 x 3 x 3 x 3

Last 3 sets were done very rapidly. 3 quick reps, short break for water, and right back to the bar. I want to own this weight. Once this gets too easy (it's already not too challenging, I'll work on owning 455 for 3x3. Then, 495 for the same. Hopefully, this will let my joints catch up to my muscles.

4.5" deadlifts, no straps, chalk, wraps, or belt:

495 x 2

4.5" deadlifts, straps only:

600 x 1

12-13" ROM on these. What I wouldn't give to have that be my ROM from the floor. lol. My legs are too long.

Lateral raises:

40 x 10, 40 x 10, 45 x 8

bent-over lateral raises:

25 x 8, 25 x 8

Hopefully, these will fix my imbalance in my right shoulder.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 12, 110x2 x 12.

Superslow. ~4-4-4

Did some rotator work with DBs and the BB, and got out of there.

Diet- pretty good.

Sleep- 7 hours.

Feeling quite a bit better.

Chris Rodgers
05-02-2002, 01:23 PM
Just for the record, since you talk crp about us midgets having it easy, I just measured my deadlift ROM both sumo and conventional:

Sumo(plate to plate)- almost 16"
Conventional- almost 21"

So shaddap, you ain't like 9 feet taller or nuthin. ;)

Alex.V
05-02-2002, 02:11 PM
Ask beercan what his ROM is. And compare it to my 21" sumo and 29" conventional ROM. :)

heathj
05-02-2002, 02:28 PM
How did you measure?

Adam
05-02-2002, 04:01 PM
I think my convention ROM is the same as yours B. My lockout is 33" from the ground and the bar is probly 6" off the floor so im at abou a 27"rom. I'll check out my sumo next time i think of it.

the doc
05-02-2002, 07:16 PM
how tall is beercan?

Jane
05-02-2002, 07:25 PM
4'2"

MonStar
05-02-2002, 10:08 PM
4.5" deadlifts, no straps, chalk, wraps, or belt:

495 x 2

What do you think about straps? I am thinking about bringing them in to help out my rack pull and shrug strength, but I cant decide. If I dont feel like my grip is stopping me in any of my sets are they necessary?

MS

Paul Stagg
05-03-2002, 03:44 PM
Sensational job here, B.

:)

Pup
05-03-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Jane
4'2"

If beercan were a superhero, he'd be "mighty midget" :cool:

Alex.V
05-04-2002, 02:31 PM
Thanks Paul, that means a lot. :)

Chest/triceps.

Continuing with my sore rotator chest workout, I'm not going heavy AT ALL. Paused bench, close grip, dumbbells. The emphasis being on control and power.

Andrea came with, she had a hell of a week, with very little sleep and even less food, so she was feeling a little depleted. She did some paused and speed bench, some DB flyes, bicep curls, hammer curls, and skullcrushers (with 45 lbs. :) ) very good workout, considering all the other factors.

Mine was aight. I miss throwing three plates around on the bench, but I know what I'm doing now is doing much more as far as strength goes.

BB bench:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 250 x 3

Paused BB bench: (3-3-3 tempo)

250 x 5 (!)

Damn. These felt pretty strong, and there was zero shoulder pain.

Close grip bench press:

250 x 6 (!)

Again, very strong, no pain. Just what I needed.
250 lbs is completely owned. The problem before was always slight instability in the lift, even just going past 225. This is gone now, I could probably crank out 12+ reps with 250 were my shoulder 100%.

DB bench:

110x2 x 8, 110x2 x 8

Tweak my shoulder a little lying down on the first set. Doh! But as long as I take these slow, they're fine.

DB flyes:

70x2 x 8, 80x2 x 8 (!), 75x2 x 7

Ouch. These HURT. (Not my shoulder. Just my muscles) :D Still progressing nicely here.

Tricep pushdowns:

215 x 8, 225 x 8, 225 x 8.

Not bad. Nice burnout for my tris, and I was spent. Staying away from skulls or any other "bar over the body" tricep exercise... I don't need the extra shoulder stimulation.

Diet- not bad at all.

Sleep- 7 hours.

heathj
05-04-2002, 03:33 PM
Paused bench on chest or above?

MonStar
05-04-2002, 03:44 PM
DB flyes:

70x2 x 8, 80x2 x 8 (!), 75x2 x 7

Holy f*ck. I increase my flyes today, and of course you have to blow me away. 80s for 8!? Jesus man inredible. I did 75s today for 7. Anyway totally awesome set here. Very impressed dude keep it up seriously. Good luck with your shoulder. :D:D

MS

Alex.V
05-05-2002, 01:56 PM
Pretty good leg day, considering I'm still only about 80%. (healthy, that is)

Worked out a bit later than usual, Andrea was with me. She did really well, squat of 155 for a double (ROM on rep 1 wasn't to parallel, but rep 2 was solid). 100 for 14 reps, excellent form on the SLDLs, calf raises with 475 (for 8 reps), and 405 for 18. :D

My day:

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 385 x 5, 465 x 7 (!)

ROM was nice and legal on at least 5 reps. This is good, that's about what I'm looking for. Translates to a single of 535-540, which is about what I figure I've got in me.

Semi-paused squats (3-1.5-2 tempo)

315 x 14

Jesus. These had me gasping for air. No knee wraps either, so the bottom of the motion was all me.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 470 x 7 (!)

Keeping these here, and shooting for 8 reps next week.

Leg press:

855 x 8, 1,060 x 8 (!)

Actually 9, but the ROM sucked for one. I realize my flexibility is stopping me from getting my knees all the way to my chest. This is something I need to work on. I could hardly walk after these.

Calf raises:

1,060 x 8, 1,060 x 8, 855 x 24 (!)

My calves were shot.

Diet- not too bad. A bit low in calories.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

And I'm off!

gregnb
05-05-2002, 02:35 PM
You have some impressive squatting stats

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-06-2002, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by gregnb
You have some impressive squatting stats

~hands Greg the understatement of the century award~

hardbodygrl
05-07-2002, 02:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belial
[B]Andrea, I did, and I still do. Ugh. Sickness makes me flat and soft. :(

OOOH boy, Is your name Alex of stephanie???? hehehhehe ;)

Alex.V
05-09-2002, 12:44 PM
lol, stephanie. Yeah, so, I'm psychotic.

I'm back from the beach. I missed the gym, lemme tell ya. There was a gym there, but the 150 pound max on the lat pulldown (there was no pull-up bar) and the resulting 20 rep sets were not exactly the release I'm used to. But the sun was nice, the place was beautiful, and I feel refreshed.

I had a pretty damn good workout, all things considered. I wasn't going to take the deads above 405, but I was feeling pretty full of energy. So I didn't max out, but I actually pulled more off the floor than I have ever before.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 4, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 475 x 1 (!)

Easy. Didn't fly up, but I had great leg drive and hip strength in the first few inches, and once the back kicked in, it was a slow and steady lift. Once it got about 6 inches up, all that work with the 4.5" deads really paid off, and the lockout was unbelievably easy. I probably could have gotten another rep or two without much trouble if it weren't for my grip slipping. I think I probably got a 520-530 single in me. My chalk should be here by next week. :D

4.5" deads:

500 x 1, 605 x 1

Nothing too tough here. Just keeping these strong.

BB bent-over rows:

225 x 8, 315 x 4 (!)

Decided to throw some heavy back work in here to compensate for that high rep bullcrap on tuesday. Actually 6 reps on the second set, but form sucked for the last 2.

Lateral raises:

40 x 8, 40 x 8, 45 x 8

25 x 10, 25 x 10

Ow. These hurt, but I DO think they're helping my right shoulder. There's much less pain there, I think they're correcting the imbalance.

Some DB shrugs to finish off, and I was out.

Diet- pretty average on the trip. Protein was high, but carb sources etc. weren't excellent. Still, it could have been much, much worse. :)

Sleep- excellent the last few days. 8+ last night.

Reinier
05-09-2002, 12:55 PM
hardbodygirl that best not be you in your avatar or im gonna rub me knob right now thinking about what ur like

Alex.V
05-11-2002, 10:53 AM
Reinier, stfu.

Chest day. Relatives in town for graduation, worked out with my dad and Andrea.
They did good, I got my dad started on working out again last summer, and since christmas he's been doing very well. Good to see that enthusiasm again. :)

Andrea did good, too. BB bench of 85 for 2 singles, did a 45 per side on the bi-angular row, DB benched the 25s, and only had fingertip assist for a pull-up. Good session. :D

Mine was aight. Shoulder being a pain, it's only the left one at this point, the right shoulder is completely fine.

BB bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 255 x 3

Paused BB bench (4-3-x)

255 x 5 (!)

Good. Nice and controlled.
Good form, too, methinks.

Close grip bench press:

255 x 6 (!)

Triceps GONE after this. lol.

DB bench:

110x2 x 8, 110x2 x 6

Two things. Triceps exhausted, and for some reason, sitting back on the second set, I tweaked my shoulder. Didn't feel good, so I stopped these early rather than do any damage.

Tricep pushdowns:

225 x 10, 225 x 10

Good, nice burnout. Full ROM, very strong.

Diet- a little bit off, to say the least.

Sleep- 6 hours.

And I'm off to family funtime!

the doc
05-11-2002, 12:38 PM
LOL!

family day at wilrec :)

MonStar
05-12-2002, 08:21 AM
Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 4, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 475 x 1 (!)

Awesome strength here man, looking good!

BB bent-over rows:

225 x 8, 315 x 4 (!)

My apologies if you already answered this but are these Yates style? :cool::cool:

MS

Fart Barker
05-12-2002, 08:24 AM
What is Yates style?

MonStar
05-12-2002, 08:28 AM
Shoulder-width grip, underhand, BB rows. Youre only bentover at about 70 degrees. I love them, hit my lats hard!

MS

Alex.V
05-13-2002, 01:05 PM
Nope, Monstar, they're overhand grip. But I'm bent over about 60-70 degrees, not 90 degrees. They're somewhat like Gino described them in the past, I feel them all over my back.

Leg day, one day late.

Couldn't work out yesterday because of graduation. Thank God that's over, it was a LONG weekend.

Andrea was with me today, she put up 160 for a single, tried it again and failed forward. It was her first time using the pad, so it made it harder to "feel" the weight. But, she took a break, then did a double (not full ROM on rep 1) at 160. Very nice. Then, dropped it to 100 and did 16 reps. (Rep speed slowed down at around rep 10). Then, some SLDLs, leg press (narrow and wide leg placement), and calf raises on the sled. (finishing with 315 x 24)

Mine was pretty damn good, too. Felt a little weak this morning, but that didn't effect my strength.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 385 x 6, 470 x 5 (!)

The 315 felt stronger than ever, and the 470 was actually done for 6 reps. But the ROM was partial on rep 1 as I adjusted to the weight, and rep 2 was probably not parallel. Still, 3-6 felt very solid, and I might have had another one in me.

Then, 315 x 16. Ouch. These were NOT breathing squats, and were done without knee wraps. Just 16 fast reps. They were killer.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 470 x 8 (!)

These move up next week to 475 x 7, I hope. Felt good, but nothing spectacular. Still, my hamstrings are sore.

Leg press:

855 x 8, 1,065 x 8 (!)

Ow. Legs were destroyed.

Calf raises on sled:

1,065 x 8, 1,065 x 10, 945 x 18 (!)

Calves done, too.

I tried a set of standing hamstring curls on the leg extension machine. Did 125 for 8 reps per leg, but they were a little awkward.

Diet- pretty good. High in calories, but activity level was much higher, too.

Sleep- 9 hours. :D

MonStar
05-13-2002, 01:16 PM
Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 385 x 6, 470 x 5 (!)

Awesome strength man!! 470 for 5, holy f*cking sh!t dude totally impressive. All of your sets are awesome. Your 385 for 6 is completely impressive holy f*ck. Upping 85 lbs. and only going down one motherf*cking rep. :eek::eek:

Then, 315 x 16.

Hehe awesome here man, nice strength! Good burnout huh? I am doing HST and I am going to try for 330 for 15. Tough as f*ck.

MS

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-13-2002, 01:25 PM
You graduated yesterday?

If so, how come you're able to stand, lt alone gte a 470lb Stiff?!

Oh, and if you reach 500lbs for stiffs i really am gonna worship the ground that you walk on.

MonStar
05-13-2002, 01:31 PM
My entire life I have witnessed squats with Belial's kind of weights once. When I was a Freshman in Highschool and we were maxing out for squat, power clean, bench, etc. - one kid squatted 405 once. That was completely insane. Everyone went totally crazy. Another fat kid who was like 6'2" 300+ lbs. squatted 495 once. Both were very impressive. :cool::cool:

MS

Alex.V
05-13-2002, 03:41 PM
Well, I didn't go out drinking or anything, I was way too exhausted and dehydrated from sitting in the baking north carolina sun for hours and hours. So, I went home, ate and drank a bunch, then passed out for a good long night's sleep. So I was pretty refreshed this morning.

500 lbs. for stiffs? Hopefully in a few months I'll be squatting and SLDLing 500 for 7-8 reps. :)

Monstar, I've seen a bigger bench than mine in high school... this 5'7" tank of a kid who could bench 405. The guy was lean, too. Just built like that gray bulldog you see on Tom & Jerry. Around here... I've seen a few people decline benching 315, I've seen one guy squatting 4 plates and change for a few reps, and last semester I saw a guy deadlifting 5 plates for a single.

It's funny, as you progress, fewer and fewer people seem to impress you. This is why I come on here. :) My lifts ain't all that, right now it's just a case of medium fish, tiny pond, if you know what I mean.

MonStar
05-13-2002, 04:00 PM
It's funny, as you progress, fewer and fewer people seem to impress you.

That is definitely true man!! 405 lbs. squats always have just completely made me stare and be in total aw. Now that I can handle close to 405 for a good # of reps, its nothing to me. Now 500 lbs. - what youre doing - thats impressive. :cool::cool:

MS

Reinier
05-14-2002, 09:59 AM
*wonders where the smallest pond is*

Alex.V
05-14-2002, 01:07 PM
Try a Bally's.

Back day:

Not too bad. Didn't gain much strength, most likely because I hardly did anything last week for my back and biceps. But, overall pretty decent. Andrea's leaving thursday, my motivation today was sh*t.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +135 x 2 (!)

Skipped the mid set, I'm sick of 135 for 1.5. Did some slow negatives, too. Next week I may mix up the progression a bit.

One-handed EZ curl/Bent-over DB rows:

110 x 10, 145 x 6, 185 x 6.5 (!)

Staying here next week. Going for same # of reps, with stricter form.

Bent-over BB rows:

250 x 10, 290 x 7.5 (!)

lol. Staying here until I can get 9-10 with good form.

Skipped the bi-angular row, my arms and back were a little fatigued. Damn the week off.

Concentration curls and hammer curls with the 50 lb DBs.

Diet- not bad, pretty much right on.

Sleep- 8 hours.

Jane
05-14-2002, 01:23 PM
Try a Bally's.

Some of us smaller fish need small ponds to avoid being eaten alive. :)

Besides, that's where the fish look funniest and have the most curious behavoirs.

Relentless
05-14-2002, 01:26 PM
Try a Bally's.

I once got asked to leave a Bally's because my workout partner and I were "scaring the other members".

Granted Darryl DID look like he just got outta rehab and he had a tendency to curse on heavy lifts.

Cal

Blood&Iron
05-14-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Jane

Some of us smaller fish need small ponds to avoid being eaten alive. :)

Besides, that's where the fish look funniest and have the most curious behavoirs.
Damn straight...on both counts.

Alex.V
05-14-2002, 01:33 PM
Ain't no shame. I lift in a University gym. Bally's looks hardcore by comparison. ;)

MonStar
05-14-2002, 07:39 PM
Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +135 x 2 (!)

Awesome strength man.. haha omg. This is f*cking unbelievable. +135 on f*cking chins. Jesus!! Thats a total pullup weight of godd*mn 355 lbs. or some f*cking bullsh*t like that. Great strength man, very very very VERY impressive.

One-handed EZ curl/Bent-over DB rows:

110 x 10, 145 x 6, 185 x 6.5 (!)

Awesome strength here too man. Looking forward to you pulling the 200s. Haha thats going to be completely insane. Its so unbelievable that your strength has skyrocketed like this. Your basically becoming a WBB icon. This journal should seriously go in the WBB hall of fame. :D:D

Bent-over BB rows:

250 x 10, 290 x 7.5 (!)

Totally awesome man. Haha I could have sworn a month or 2 ago you were only doing 230 or some sh!t like that. Ill check but jeez, crazy strength.

MS

MonStar
05-14-2002, 07:45 PM
... Haha 2 months and a few days ago dude.

Bent-over BB row:

230 x 10, 240 x 9.5 (!) :eek::eek:

I am wondering when your strength goes up f*cking fifty pounds on a freeweight row how much noticeable back size is added?

MS

the doc
05-14-2002, 10:24 PM
dude is andrea gone for the summer?

the doc
05-15-2002, 07:17 AM
hey man also are you working anytime soon?

Alex.V
05-15-2002, 06:01 PM
Thanks Monstar.. it's funny, since getting stricter on these my strength has skyrocketed. I also think bumping up the DB rows (with the EZ curl bar) has done wonders for my back strength.

Doc- Yeah, she's gone all summer, pretty much.

I'm going to be working this saturday, from 3:30/4 to 9 PM.... you should stop by. mmm, free stuff. lol.

the doc
05-15-2002, 07:09 PM
hey man i'll come by for some more gym talk and general loitering. I got a couple a wilrec tales

Alex.V
05-16-2002, 01:45 PM
Cool beans, I'll see you then.

Shoulders/Deadlifts:

Had a real good day.... it's Andrea's last day here, and I spent a good portion of yesterday helping her move out of her room. Mm, boxes. Lots of walking.

But still, came to the gym today and had a great session. She did to. She deadlifted with me, got 135 for a triple, which is excellent considering how long it's been since she did 'em. Also tried out some Zerchers with 95 lbs. :) Did some arm work, and tried dips for the first time but she was fried. Very good overall, though.

Mine was... well, fun. Finally got my chalk in, so I went a bit heavier than usual.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 3, 315 x 3, 405 x 1, 500 x 1 (!)

:) That's the most I've pulled off the floor by 25 pounds. Felt good, there was some hesitation in the beginning, I thought I might not have had the strength for the pull, but I think it was psychological, I had that lift. I probably have another 20-30 pounds in me, maybe more with a belt.

Skipped the 4.5" deads.

Lateral raises:

40 x 10, 45 x 8, 50 x 8, 45 x 8

Wuhoo. Upping the volume here due to my skipping all overhead presses.

20 x 8, 25 x 8

Purely therapeutic.

Shrugs:

110x2 x 10, 110x2 x 14

Bah. Need heavier DBs.

Upright rows:

65x2 x 8

Last time on these. Too much shoulder strain.

Diet- Spot on.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

Jane
05-16-2002, 03:14 PM
Cool beans, I'll see you then.
Deadlifts:

:) That's the most I've pulled off the floor by 25 pounds. Felt good, there was some hesitation in the beginning, I thought I might not have had the strength for the pull, but I think it was psychological, I had that lift. I probably have another 20-30 pounds in me, maybe more with a belt.
!!! That's a beautiful number, is it not? 5-0-0 :bow:

You said cool beans. Thats awesome too.

Alex.V
05-16-2002, 03:55 PM
It felt goooood. :)

Just the sound of it is cool.... plus the whole "quarter ton" thing is nifty.

Pup
05-16-2002, 04:09 PM
Ace lift bro, i see a 1500, possibly 1600 total in your near future.

the doc
05-16-2002, 06:33 PM
great lift man!

MonStar
05-16-2002, 06:38 PM
Mine was... well, fun. Finally got my chalk in, so I went a bit heavier than usual.

Deadlifts:

Yeah man chalk makes a big difference doesnt it? I bought some from a local Leisure Fitness - use it for rack pulls works pretty well. Anyway nice deadlift bro!! 500 from the floor, very impressive. Keep it up.

MS

MonStar
05-16-2002, 08:21 PM
Belial-
I was wondering man are you ever going to put up any pics!? I was thinking about it and months ago you said in a few months, etc. Anyway bro what are your measurements like?

MS

Alex.V
05-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Thanks guys. :)

Monstar, I don't know. I'm not happy where I am... then again, I doubt I'll ever be. And lately, I'm lifting just for strength... strength and personal enjoyment. So I'm not sure why I'd put up my physique. But I will. Sometime soon.

Alex.V
05-18-2002, 12:00 PM
Not a bad chest day. Last week was a bit more pain in my shoulder than I would have liked, I think recuperation pretty much broke even this week. So I took it easy today, dropping DB bench from the routine.

BB bench:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 260 x 3

Not bad. A bit of pain in the lighter sets, actually.

Paused BB bench (4-3-x):

260 x 5 (!)

I wonder why these don't hurt at all. I'm thinking it's because my form is so strict, and the motion is so controlled.

Close grip BB bench:

260 x 5.5 (!)

I might keep these here next week, depending how I feel. My spotter gave me WAY too much help. grrr.

DB flyes:

75x2 x 8, 80x2 x 10 (!), 75x2 x 8

Not bad. Really failed hard on the last set with the 75's.

Tricep pushdowns:

235 x 8, 235 x 8, 235 x 8 (!)

Nice full ROM on these. No shoulder pain, but an excellent tricep workout.

Diet- not bad.

Sleep- 7 hours.

Extra- I'm ready for my shoulder to get better now. If anybody has some shoulders they'd like to donate, I'll gladly take 'em. Do any powerlifting competitions just do squat and deadlift? Can I enter those? lol.

beercan
05-18-2002, 01:18 PM
Deadlifts:

Great job. You've finally caught up to spidey :D

Alex.V
05-18-2002, 02:44 PM
lmao. Give me 8 weeks on 2 grams of gear a week, and actually let me go for a max, and we'll see how we compare. :)

beercan
05-18-2002, 02:49 PM
Glad I made you laugh.

Ain't I a stinker? :p

Jane
05-18-2002, 03:15 PM
Beercan has the coolest signature on the face of the earth.
Queen=:thumbup:

Belial....tsk. Monstar's waaiting. :)

rookiebldr
05-18-2002, 03:17 PM
Extra- I'm ready for my shoulder to get better now. If anybody has some shoulders they'd like to donate, I'll gladly take 'em.

Just couldn't resist. You can have mine as long as you are careful, feed them and make them grow like yours. I'll take care of yours with puny lifts and lots of rest, just enough to ensure that they get the recuperation that they need. ;)

Just some girl
05-19-2002, 07:33 PM
Close grip BB bench:

260 x 5.5 (!)

I might keep these here next week, depending how I feel. My spotter gave me WAY too much help. grrr.

:( !!! ...I wish I could have been your spotter. :(

Alex.V
05-20-2002, 12:13 PM
Me too, babe. You're a damn good spotter.

Heavy leg day. I think I'm going to do one of these every month, followed by a lighter leg day the next week, then two regular sessions. This works out well, because I'll likely be at home next week, and the squat rack there sucks. I wouldn't want to do much over 400 on it.

But I decided to see what I could do. My main problem with squats is the first rep. I've never done singles, so I usually go down and miss parallel on rep one or two, then hit it every rep after that. This ain't good, since I'm not really ready for max effort on the first descent. So this day was a bit of an experiment.

Squats:

135 x 6 (SMOKED EM! ....jk), 225 x 4, 315 x 2, 405 x 1, 515 x 0

CRAP!

515 x 1.5 (!)

Right. For the first 515, I tried doing a partial, then a full rep. The partial tired me out, and I lost my balance on the full rep. Had good spotters, though. Second attempt, I nailed rep 1, but rep 2 wasn't low enough. Cool. I'm ready to take it easy next week. lol.

Front squats:

335 x 6

Why I did these, I still don't know. I think I was confused.

Fast squats, below parallel:

335 x 10

Not too bad. I was tired.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 500 x 5.5 (!)

Whee. Ouch. I'm ready to back off on poundage for a week here, too. Weird seeing the bar bend on these, though. The guys decline benching behind me probably thought I was going to do shrugs. They looked at me all wide eyed when I bent over.

Then again, maybe they just thought I had a nice ass.

Leg press:

945 x 8, 1,085 x 5 (!), 1,055 x 6

Failed on 1,085. Sled slammed into the safety stops.

Calf raises:

1,055 x 10, 1,055 x 10, 945 x 18

I was toast.

Diet- perfect

Sleep- 7.5 hours

Thas' it. I'm sore.

the doc
05-20-2002, 12:15 PM
Failed on 1,085. Sled slammed into the safety stops.

### careful dude!

MonStar
05-20-2002, 12:18 PM
Squats:

515 x 1.5 (!)

Thats seriously unbelievable. Never seen anything like it holy f*cking sh!t. Five hundred motherf*cking lbs... :eek::eek:

MS

Alex.V
05-20-2002, 09:05 PM
Doc, ain't no thang. Though I'm not sure that rig is meant to take that weight. lol.

Monstar- 2 reps would have been much more acceptable. Next stop, 525! :D

the doc
05-20-2002, 09:09 PM
Though I'm not sure that rig is meant to take that weight. lol.

### yea man thats what i mean!
great lifts as usual man!

heathj
05-21-2002, 08:58 AM
What's a keystone?

Alex.V
05-21-2002, 01:12 PM
Thanks doc. :D Heath, keystones are SLDLs done with the chest out, butt back, and back arched. I go down to about the knee with a somewhat wider-than-shoulder width grip. (It would be past the knee with a shoulder-width grip, about 2-3" below, but I hate clipping my patella with the bar)

Back day:

Somewhat uninspired, but I did all right. Took it a bit easier, it's the first day of... (drum roll please) LIGHT WEEK!

Yes, it's time to back off on the poundages so I don't herniate myself, blow out a kneecap, tear a hamstring, and/or die.

Weighted pull-ups:

bodyweight x 10, +45 x 6, +90 x 6, +135 x 2

LIGHT, dammit. Okay, these weren't light. But I did them with a supinated grip for a change, that has to count for something. Even on a slick bar, my grip has gotten strong enough to hold me easily without straps.

One handed EZ curl bar/DB rows:

110 x 10, 145 x 7, 185 x 7

Not too bad. I'm liking the slight switch in form I'm doing. Slight upward tilt of the body, and pulling the upper arm until it's flush with my back, then holding it there for about a second. Full extension at the bottom. I'm actually feeling significant fatigue in my lats after these. Nice.

Bent-over BB rows:

250 x 10, 290 x 8 (!)

Next week, 295. And I'll stay there until I get 9-10.

Bi-angular row:

425 x 5.

Hmm, I got the weird machine, one of them has a seat that doesn't quite fit right, so the height was a little off. Dammit.

Concentration curls:

50 x 8, 50 x 8, 50 x 8 + long negative.

Hammer curls (per hand, of course):

50 x 8, 50 x 9

These actually hurt like hell. Fatigued the crap outta my biceps.

And that's it.

Diet- purty good.

Sleep- 7 hours.

gino
05-21-2002, 01:22 PM
Hmmm, I didn't know that those were called keystones. That's how I do SLDLs on leg day to blast my hams. I like doing high reps with these.

Anyways, good journal and good work.

Alex.V
05-21-2002, 01:26 PM
Gino, I think Hatfield calls them keystones. Some people call them Romanian Deadlifts, though that name may be erroneous. I call them straight backed SLDLs.

Whatever their name, they're awesome, ain't they? They've done more for my squat and deadlift than any other exercise.

Oh, and thanks. :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-21-2002, 01:54 PM
Absolutely none of those work sets were light, you lying bastard :)

ElPietro
05-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Slight upward tilt of the body, and pulling the upper arm until it's flush with my back, then holding it there for about a second.

Just curious on the flush with the back part...is this how far a row SHOULD be going? I am generally pulling until the weight reaches my ribs, which is much further than having the upper arm flush with the back. Or is this something you only do when you have a slight upward tilt? Just seems like it could make the movement much easier with that ROM...

Alex.V
05-21-2002, 02:45 PM
Well, the elbow is flush with my back, so it's a bit further than the arm would be if you were say, standing with your arm hanging straight down. Bend over and look at your body sideways in the mirror, elbow even with the level of your spine is not quite weight to the chest (I'd smack myself in the face with the plates on the EZ curl bar if I did), but it's pretty far. I would guess the bar is about 4-5 inches away from my chest (nipple level)

It seems to me that this is the limit of lat activation. Much beyond that, and the rear delts and traps are doing a tremendous amount of work at mechanically weak angles.

ElPietro
05-21-2002, 02:50 PM
Hmmm...I will have to re-examine my form...when using dumbells I am going until the weight touches my ribcage...which i believe means my elbow is past being flush with my back...I just haven't gone out and bought straps yet so I can't use the ez-curl bar. I'm guessing you don't use 45s on the bar as the plate would get in the way...do you find 35s work? or do you start with 25s?

Alex.V
05-21-2002, 02:54 PM
Well, it depends on your proportions. How long your forearm is relative to total arm length and chest depth, etc. I just found that I can get a tremendously good lat workout, with maximum contraction by angling up a little, and not worrying about the last few inches. Some people will say do it all the way to the chest, but to me you're essentially bottlenecking the lift (and therefore, lat stimulation) by forcing every rep to engage smaller muscles at a disadvantageous angle. I'd rather do shrugs, bent-over laterals, etc. to get those muscles.

45's are too big, 35's are a bit too large, I'm using 25's. The problem is, most of the clips are too loose to really hold them in, so I've got 3 25's and a 5 on each side, plus 3 clips when I do these. That's an ugly-looking bar. lol

ElPietro
05-21-2002, 03:06 PM
LMFAO at 3 clips...damn I'm gonna be considered a retarded freak whenever I start these! :p ...well not that i'm not already considered retarded...

I'll try to pay more attention to the lift...generally when doing rows not enough oxygen is getting to my brain for anything other than the rowing motion and the occaisional breath...maybe if I REALLY focus...

Oh and nice hitting a PR on a light lifting day you b@stard! ;)

Alex.V
05-21-2002, 03:08 PM
Well, they certainly draw looks. lol.

I wouldn't sweat the form overly much. I mean, yeah you need to focus on keeping your back straight, but dumbbell rows are one of those lovely exercises where you just grit your teeth and pull for all you're worth. :D

Light.....well... hehe. It's more my knees and lower back that need to recover this week somewhat, so it was all right pushing it today a little. But deads and squats will definitely be light this week.

the doc
05-21-2002, 03:59 PM
hey man i think its a great idea to take a bit of "rest"
let yourself recover a bit

good to know your human as well :D

And i agree with you on the mechanics of the db row
seems the lats drop out after the arms comes parallel to the ground. I think full extension on the bottom of the movement is really important though (for stressing the lats)

Alex.V
05-21-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by the doc

good to know your human as well :D

I resent that. :D

Alex.V
05-23-2002, 11:42 AM
Ah, the ignominy of page 2.

Well, I said I'd go light, and I stuck to it. I worked out in my old gym... there are a few familiar faces, but a lot of people are gone. Too bad.

Anyway, brought my chalk, and did some deadlifts:

Deadlifts:

135 x 10, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 10.

On rep 10, I brought the bar up and held it for a full 20 seconds. Felt good. My grip won't be holding me back anymore, I hope.

Zerchers:

315 x 6

See journal title for my reasoning.

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 10, 45 x 10

25 x 10, 25 x 10

Did some rotator work with the shoulder horn, and then

Seated calf raises:

190 x 8

Heh.

280 x 8

Uhhhh

325 x 6 (!)

That's better. though still uninspired.

Haven't used this thing in ages, they feel pretty good. But it's actually the pressure of the pad on the quads that causes me to fail. Ah well.

Diet- Miles and miles off. 8 hour drive, followed by home cooking. I'll be fat and soft for Cancun.

Sleep- 7 hours.

ericg
05-23-2002, 12:16 PM
Thanks doc. :D Heath, keystones are SLDLs done with the chest out, butt back, and back arched. I go down to about the knee with a somewhat wider-than-shoulder width grip. (It would be past the knee with a shoulder-width grip, about 2-3" below, but I hate clipping my patella with the bar)

B,

You say your hands are a bit wider than shoulder, im wondering how far apart your feet are? thanks

Just some girl
05-23-2002, 01:39 PM
Ah, the ignominy of page 2.

i love it when you use big words. ;)

Diet- Miles and miles off. 8 hour drive, followed by home cooking. I'll be fat and soft for Cancun.

I'll still love you :) (even though you are delusional. and insane. and so far away from either fat or soft that it's just plain silly.)

(...oh yea, you are sofa king wee todd did, too. here's a cup. go sit in the corner. :D:D:D)

Alex.V
05-24-2002, 09:07 AM
hehehe. Thanks for that, but you just might be biased. You only love me for my mind anyway. :cry:

;)

Alex.V
05-25-2002, 11:03 AM
Interesting day.

I think my left shoulder has the same problem my right once did.... bicep tendon injury/weakness. I'm sure it's an imbalance, one that I'm working on fixing. until then, my bench is basically on hold. I've noticed less pain if I bench to my clavicle rather than my nipple. Interesting.

BB bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 265 x 2, 175 x 3, 175 x 3

I noticed I was benching very slowly on the 265 set, and I might be getting into bad habits. So I did two quick sets with 175 (estimated 50% of max) with excellent bar speed, if I do say so myself.

Paused BB bench:

265 x 4 (!)

Wow. Paused for a LONG time on rep 1, so I didn't get 5. I'll stay here for a while. Between the light fast sets and these heavier paused sets, I think I can maintain strength increases without damaging my shoulder.

DB flyes:

75 x 8, 80 x 8, 80 x 10 (!)

Good. No pain at all, nice full chest contraction.

Skullcrushers:

135 x 8, 135 x 8

Narrow grip, strict as all hell. Focusing on keeping the triceps in.

Seated behind the neck extension (dumbbell)

85 x 10, 100 x 8

Haven't done these in AGES (Since I was using a 40 a year and a half ago). They felt good; my triceps were already tired, and I focused on getting a full range of motion. Zero shoulder pain. I think I've found a tricep exercise that I can go all-out on without the fear of further shoulder injury (so long as I have a spotter).

Cable front raises:

60 x 8, 60 x 8

Bringing it up and across my chest. Very good feeling in the deltoids.

So, interesting workout. Basically, because I'm limited on the bench, I had to break apart the muscle groups and work each one separately. Hopefully, with just some basic bench work to start out (thus keeping coordination/form down), and then heavy isolation work that gives my shoulder a break, I can stay strong (and maybe get stronger) over the next few months while my tendon heals.

Diet- heh. I'm at home. It's pretty far off.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

Just some girl
05-25-2002, 12:50 PM
still light week, right? and looks like you are really doing that, huh? i mean, your version of light. thats good. your shoulder will probably thank you in the end. :)

the doc
05-25-2002, 08:44 PM
What's up JSG!

b- you'll probably hate to hear this, but perhaps some time away from working this injury might be called for

I had to do it with an elbow problem. 3 weeks off made a hella difference - i still have some occasional pain but probably 90% of the intensity and frequncy from when i first injured it
It could also develop into a chronic problem without some recouperation

just a though man...

as usual your strenth makes me feel weak. lol!

Fart Barker
05-25-2002, 09:31 PM
Belial,

What's the longest time off you've taken in the last 6 months or so?

Just some girl
05-26-2002, 12:41 AM
what's up, doc? ;)

i couldn't resist :p

MonStar
05-26-2002, 01:31 AM
Belial-
Do you count your calories and all that on a daily basis? I am just wondering because I am about to get out of that habit. Cant really decide.

MS

Alex.V
05-26-2002, 08:30 AM
Doc- you might be right, in fact, you probably are. But with what I'm doing right now, I AM feeling some recuperation happening. But I can't keep guessing like this. I'm going to take a week off heavy training in cancun, just because I don't think the gym there is very well appointed, and then when I come back, after my next (light) chest day, I'll re-evaluate. grrr, frustration. What gives me hope is that my right shoulder (which I believe was a similar sort of injury) has now recovered completely.

Fart- I think I took a day off a few weeks ago when I got sick. I moved my back workout to wednesday. ;)

Monstar- I have a pretty good idea where I'm at, I don't really need to count calories. I eat fairly similar foods day after day, so unless I miss a meal, my calories and macros will be pretty consistent. If I go out to dinner, sometimes I'll run a quick tally in my head to see what I'm missing.

Andrea- Yeah, I guess back and chest aren't affected by my light/heavy weeks, since that's mainly to protect my knees and lower back. But chest is gonna be full of puny workouts like that for a while.

Alex.V
05-26-2002, 12:46 PM
Real light leg day. Just as well, the squat rack is so narrow I can't hit my stance, and the only padding there (for the high rep squats) was so bulky and unstable I did them raw. Also, I had to do my workout and shower within an hour, so my rest time between sets (especially squats) was around 2-3 minutes. Far too little for heavy leg work.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 10

Could have kept going for quite a few reps, except the bar was starting to hurt. For some reason, with a narrower stance, hitting parallel is harder. I'm not used to the balance, so as I get low I feel a little unstable.

Screwed around with an ultra wide low bar stance with 225. Felt really easy, got to parallel no problem. hmmm, interesting. Didn't want to go heavier, though, since I had to do these outside the squat rack.

SLDLs:

405 x 10, 405 x 10

No problem here. Slammed these out. Widened my grip a bit (pinkies on the rings) so I didn't have to go past my knees with the bar. Cuts back on a lot of kneecap wear and tear.

Leg press:

875 x 8, 1,055 x 10

Very easy, except there's no safety stop on this particular rig, and the lovely curved seat was very difficult to stay in, so I didn't push it.

Calf raises:

1,055 x 8, 1,055 x 16 (!)

The only thing at all today that I pushed it on.

Single leg leg extensions:

160 x 10 for each leg. Very easy. I do these for the sweep*

Diet- not bad. Not good, but not bad. Very hard to stick to one around here.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

*joke

Jane
05-26-2002, 12:51 PM
Diet- not bad. Not good, but not bad. Very hard to stick to one around here.

Heh. :nod:

the doc
05-26-2002, 03:07 PM
are you in mexico now?

MonStar
05-27-2002, 09:34 AM
Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 10

Some crazy a*s weight here man.. very awesome. Keep it up. Haha 405 for 10... never seen anything like it. Was this set to failure? If it was I might, (hence "might") be catching up with you in the next few months. I got 370 for 10.5 which is my personal best so far. Hopefully Ill get 375-385 for 10 this week. :):)

MS

Alex.V
05-27-2002, 10:59 AM
Hell no, Monstar. Not close to failure, it's my light week. :) I have no idea how many I could get with 405, but I could probably take 455 for 10 or so.

Nice squatting, though.

Doc- I'm in jersey. I'll be in mexico from the 3rd to the 10th.

Alex.V
05-28-2002, 11:05 AM
Back day:

Dammit. I forgot all my lifting equipment at home today. Damn not having my own car. I wasn't about to turn around and make a 25 minute round trip just to get my straps, so I tried to do my back day anyway. Good thing they had a belt for weighted chins. But the bar... not so stable.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 6

The bar was really sagging during the second set, so I decided not to even mess with the heavy one. Besides, it was so thin that my hands were really hurting.

Lat pulldowns:

300 x 8

That was the whole stack. I considered adding a plate to it, but decided to move on anyway.

Dumbbell rows:

100 x 10, 140 x 6, 180 x 5

They actually had one of those dumbbell-sized bars that you can load plates on. So I tried those. Was pretty nice, it allowed me to use my wider stance (which is impossible to cheat in). But, I didn't have straps. Nobody else at the gym did either. So I took the chain belt, wrapped the chain around my wrist, then around the bar. The other two guys in the weight room looked at me like I had three heads. Whatever. So it kinda hurt, I've got some pretty bad bruising on my wristbone, but it's fading. :) So I stopped on each side at 5 due to pain, not failure.

Barbell rows (no straps):

250 x 9, 295 x 7.5 (!)

Using a double-overhand grip is hard without straps. Grip failure in both sets, but still set a PR.

Couldn't do the bi-angular row, so I screwed around a bit:

Seated close grip cable rows:

300 x 8 (whole stack)

Boo, Uninspired.

T-bar row (t-bar with chest pad and wide grip):

5 plates x 8 (however the hell much that weighs with the apparatus, probably like 270 or some such)

Again, nothing special. But I was pretty burnt, and still had biceps to do:

Concentration curls and hammer curls, 3 sets of 8 reps and 2 sets of 8 reps, respectively, with 50 lb dumbbells. I actually can see a nice split in my right bicep when it's all pumped. :D

I did not just say that. :help:

Diet- Not too bad

Sleep- 8 hours. Wuhoo!

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-28-2002, 12:48 PM
But, I didn't have straps. Nobody else at the gym did either. So I took the chain belt, wrapped the chain around my wrist, then around the bar.

Dude, no one will again doubt your hardcoreness...

Just some girl
05-29-2002, 11:03 AM
oh god...please dont tell him that he has to wrap chains around his wrists so people won't doubt his hardcoreness, or god knows what he'll do next!

(i know that wasnt what you were actually saying, CD. ;))

the doc
05-29-2002, 11:27 AM
I'm thinking he'll just start walking around with his dip belt on all the time...lol!

Alex.V
05-30-2002, 12:24 PM
I exude hardcoreness, I don't need props.

I'll just walk around with chalk on my hands 24/7.

Pretty good workout. Wasn't feeling all that peppy after a long-ass drive yesterday, but had a good amount to eat last night and got a lot of sleep.

Shoulders/deadlifts:

Deadlifts (no belt/straps/etc.):

135 x 6, 225 x 5, 315 x 5, 405 x 2, 510 x 1 (!)

Not a max lift. A little hesitation coming up off the floor, but once it was about two inches up, it accelerated. Excellent lockout. Probably good for a few pounds more, I'm still figuring a 530-535 max, or thereabouts. Got a little TOO keyed up before, though. Felt a little lightheaded before I did the lift.

Deadlift + static hold:

405 x 14 seconds.

Double overhand grip. This was hellish.

Lateral raises:

45 x 8, 45 x 8, 40 x 10

Ooh, exciting. Well, they DO pay off. The lady who was trying to custom fit a jacket for me said "Your shoulders are huge! Do you work out? I mean, it's obvious you work out, but... those are some big shoulders!" So, even without overhead presses, they're growing.

25 x 10, 30 x 8

Nothing special here. Did some rotator cuff work, and got the hell outta there.

Diet- Eh. Decent. Didn't eat through most of the drive, though. :(

Sleep- 8-ish hours?

Thas' it.

MonStar
05-30-2002, 12:27 PM
Lateral raises:

45 x 8, 45 x 8, 40 x 10

Ooh, exciting. Well, they DO pay off. The lady who was trying to custom fit a jacket for me said "Your shoulders are huge! Do you work out? I mean, it's obvious you work out, but... those are some big shoulders!" So, even without overhead presses, they're growing.

Hehe great ego boost huh man? I would be pretty psyched if someone said that to me. Anyway thats some crazy a*s sh!t that your shoulders can continue to grow without an OH press at all. Impressive stuff. :):)

MS

ElPietro
05-30-2002, 12:31 PM
Lateral raises:

45 x 8, 45 x 8, 40 x 10

Shame on you for using comments by some lady as a cop-out not to do your miltaries anymore... tuttut

;)

MarshallPenn
05-30-2002, 12:40 PM
MS - Why wouldn't your shoulders grow without an OH press. The iso movement hits it directly.

chris mason
05-30-2002, 06:25 PM
I have a good story here if you will indulge me. When I graduated college, I went to a place called Thaku's (in Phoenix) to get my "interview" suit. This place had fitted bodybuilders, Phoenix Sun's players etc. To get to the point, the guy said I was one of the worst he had ever seen in terms of difficult to fit. You see, at that time I had just finished dabbling in anabolics and I weighed about 250 lbs at 5'11". My back has always been a strong point, and I had massive lats. In the end, I got fitted for a 54" jacket and 36" pants (18" differential). The jacket needed a ton of tailoring as it was stupidly huge around the waist! It felt really good to get that suit! I know exactly how you feel B!

MonStar
05-30-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by MarshallPenn
MS - Why wouldn't your shoulders grow without an OH press. The iso movement hits it directly.

Yeah but a compound movement hits it with more weight and more stabilizer muscle groups.

MS

Alex.V
06-01-2002, 12:13 PM
Well, if isolations didn't cause growth, nobody would do them. :)

Chest day, not too bad. Still on a high after how easy that deadlift came up on thursday, so I wasn't too concerned about pushing myself too hard today. Andrea came with me, but didn't lift. Bad Andrea, bad!

Just kidding. She came solely for the purpose of spotting me, which I appreciate.

Bench press:

135 x 8, 225 x 6

Paused bench press:

265 x 5 (!)

Good, solid reps. I've noticed something. With a narrower grip, arched back (shoulderblades and butt on bench, of course), and by bringing the bar down closer to my neck (rather than, say, nipple level), there is zero pain in my shoulder. This is a good thing.

Close grip bench press:

265 x 3

Tweaked my wrist on these, I think I need to use a slightly wider grip, and focus on keeping my elbows in. I stopped the set short because of wrist pain, not muscular failure. I should have 6-7 of these otherwise.

DB flyes:

75 x 8, 80 x 8, 80 x 8

Nothing terribly exciting here.

Skullcrushers, narrower grip than usual:

135 x 6, 155 x 6

Neither set remotely to failure.

Seated dumbbell tricep extension:

80 x 8, 105 x 5 (!)

Coulda done more, but rest period wasn't long enough, I'm sure. There's no chance of cheating on these, which is cool.

Cable front raise:

60 x 6, 50 x 8 (per arm)

Not too bad.

The theory behind the workout is this: My bench can't be pushed to the max, but hopefully I can find exercises for each muscle group involved in the lift that will allow them to grow without further shoulder injury. The triceps are key, as they're my weak point, so they take priority. The pecs need some work, but the flyes are mostly for growth, honestly. Finally, the delts could use some building, hence the front raises. The paused bench allows me to safely combine the muscles together, and keep the motion/form down, without compromising the healing process. Hopefully, in a few months, I'll have a strong shoulder, and a strong bench.

Diet- pretty damn good.

Sleep- 8 hours.

Thas' it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-01-2002, 12:27 PM
I've noticed something. With a narrower grip, arched back (shoulderblades and butt on bench, of course), and by bringing the bar down closer to my neck (rather than, say, nipple level), there is zero pain in my shoulder. This is a good thing.

You really think that's beneficial for the long-run?

Alex.V
06-01-2002, 12:47 PM
Yes. I've seen many people bench in competition like that.

Chris Rodgers
06-01-2002, 12:50 PM
Close to the neck?? Most bench lower than the nipples. Weirdo

Alex.V
06-01-2002, 12:57 PM
I didn't say at neck level, numbnuts. I would say maybe an inch or two above the nipples. I know most bench very low on the chest, especially these days. But that strains my biceps tendon, so I need to do it higher up, at least until it heals.

MonStar
06-02-2002, 08:27 AM
Posted in Belial's signature
-405/585/600 b/s/d (Goals for december)

Amazing goals for December man holy f*cking sh!t. I just saw that and was like what the f*ck. 405 lbs. bench is incredible, 585 lbs. squat is just unheard of, 600 lbs. deadlift? Jesus.

MS

MonStar
06-02-2002, 08:29 AM
Belial-
I am starting a new routine and I was wondering if there are any exercises that you recommend me doing? You seem to have a unique exercise selection, other than bench, squat, and deads. For example would you recommend ez-curl rows? Overhand or underhand chins / bentover rows? Would you recommend zerchers? :):)

MS

the doc
06-02-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by MonStar

Amazing goals for December man holy f*cking sh!t. I just saw that and was like what the f*ck. 405 lbs. bench is incredible, 585 lbs. squat is just unheard of, 600 lbs. deadlift? Jesus.

MS

i think these goals are well within his reach

Alex.V
06-02-2002, 12:58 PM
I think they're doable. :)

I had an okay workout. Actually, it was kinda sh*tty. I forgot the gym was open today, and since I'm going to be at the beach in a few days I decided to go rather low-carb. I went lower-carb (and calorie) than I expected. Tallying it up, I had about 2700 or so cals yesterday. NOT enough, especially considering today was leg day. I felt the weakness the second I did my first set of squats. The mental focus wasn't there, and neither was the confidence.

Andrea, on the other hand, had a really good workout. After several weeks off, she squatted 145 for a single, and did two pull-ups without any assistance (which was her goal). G'job. :thumbup:

Squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 375 x 6, 455 x 7

This WAS supposed to be a medium-light squat day, but the problem was depth. The dipschitt who was spotting me on the left side decided to pick the bar up when I was walking out, which caused it to list way over to the right side. Rather than stopping, I decided to keep going. Balance was thrown, the bar was no longer centered on my back, and I was already fatigued from trying to stabilize it. Add that to my already depleted state, and you have a very uninspiring set of squats.

Did some walkouts with 565 and 585. Not bad at all. Keeping balance here is key, and I think if I can do a more solid walkout, that should obviously be a tremendous help. I can just tell my spotters to step back until I start doing my reps.

Some box squats and below parallel squats with 315.

Then:

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 475 x 9 (!)

Not too shabby. Hard as hell, that second set.

Leg press:

855 x 8, 1,075 x 8 (!)

Complete failure on the second set.

Calf raises:

1,075 x 8, 1,075 x 8, 1,075 x 14 (!)

Again, not too bad. But I just wasn't feeling terribly powerful.

Diet- way off.

Sleep- 8 hours. :)