PDA

View Full Version : HEY, why not.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Alex.V
07-24-2002, 10:49 AM
Yah, just got one now. :) Didn't get the first one, though. What was the question?

BennettBoy
07-24-2002, 12:21 PM
Belial, are you a student at Duke? Just wondering because I've been to Duke many times. I graduated from Clemson. Gots to follow my football LOL.

Alex.V
07-24-2002, 12:24 PM
Yep, still down at Duke. And if you're a football fan... please don't laugh at us. We try hard. We just have a bad coach and bad players. :D

South Carolina, eh? I'm probably in durham for the next two years.

BennettBoy
07-24-2002, 12:58 PM
Yeah but at least you just got a new 22 Million football building:D

Clemson is breaking ground in Jan. 2003 on their new 24 Million Dollar football building.

Everybody has to keep up with their neighbors.

Alex.V
07-25-2002, 10:56 AM
Right. And will it help us win a game? no.

Deadlifts/shoulders.

Missed my goal of a double at 550. This ends my heavy single cycle... I'm going to be dropping down to five plates for reps the next few weeks, and in maybe a month or two I'll push it up to 555-560 for a single. No sense rushing it, my deadlift has climbed a lot recently and I don't want to injure my lower back, which feels a little tweaked today.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 226 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 1, 550 x 0 CRAP, 550 x 1 (!)

Wasn't focused on the first trip down. Got too hyped up, lost focus. Aborted the lift, waited close to seven minutes, took a deep breath, and did it controlled. The start was slow, as I expected, but the bar slowly climbed. God it was heavy... This is probably fairly close to my max... my problem was anxiety, honestly. Got too carried away, and feared the bar rather than knowing I owned it. Another reason I want to drop back down. Once 5 plates is cake, for multiple reps, an extra 50-60 pounds shouldn't be intimidating in the least.

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 50 x 10, 50 x 10

Nothing special. Good burn. haha. fookin gay bodybuilder that I am.

Bent-over lateral raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 10.

Perfect form, zero discomfort. Me = happy.

Shrugs:

110x2 x 10, 110x2 x 12

My traps were already burnt.

Diet- perfect, if a little high in calories.

Sleep- 7 hours. f*ckin workmen outside the apartment caulking the exterior. Woke me up at 9:00. Heathens.

MonStar
07-25-2002, 11:06 AM
Nice pull B. Really really impressive. Hows your grip holding up with 550 lbs... :eek::eek:

Just some girl
07-25-2002, 05:59 PM
550 is awesome, even if you didn't do it for the double you wanted. You will get that soon. Actually, depending on how you are framing your workout plan for the next few weeks/month you might just skip this goal and go straight to your next one, right?

(btw...the way you described you first 550 attempt is the exactly the way i felt when i did my DL attempt last week.)

anyway, you are doing amazing. and thats not my opinion. thats fact. :)

Just some girl
07-25-2002, 06:03 PM
Oh, and what is this disparaging remark I see about heathens? Whatever, you know you love us.
:angel:

chris mason
07-25-2002, 06:15 PM
Great job on the deadlift B!

Alex.V
07-25-2002, 06:18 PM
Monstar- grip isn't the problem at all, actually. I feel like I could pull anything with chalk.

JSG- thanks babe. I'm just irritated, like I said. I thought I had six plates in me, but if 550 was a struggle, then I may need to rethink my max.

And thanks, chris. Though I've got a long ways to go. :)

chris mason
07-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Not that long, not at all.

shredder
07-26-2002, 05:34 PM
Hey belial , nice job on the 550 deadlift.
I was wondering, whats the difference between a normal 1arm db row and your 1arm EZ bar row? Keep up the good work bro.

BennettBoy
07-27-2002, 09:18 AM
Belial, you got any pics up anywhere? I'm too lazy to search and looking at your stats and bodyfat %.....somehow I think you got to look phuckin' amazing. What say bro?

Alex.V
07-27-2002, 12:44 PM
BB- I think I got an old(er) back pic around page 53.... I'm going to take some flexed (though I don't know about posed) pics around the end of the summer.

shredder- I do them with the EZ curl bar because the 110 pound dumbbells (all my gym goes up to) are far too easy. So I hit on the bright idea of using an EZ curl bar in one hand instead. :) It's harder, pound for pound, given the lack of stability, but damn, what a workout.

Chest/triceps.

Good workout. I haven't gone above 300 in the bench in MONTHS (since february, I think), so needless to say it was a shock suddenly jumping 20 pounds up. Over the next two months I'll work on mastering 315 for 5-6 paused reps. It already feels MUCH more controlled than it ever has before.

BB bench:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 265 x 3

Paused BB bench:

315 x 2 (!)

First rep just slow, nice ROM. Second rep with a pause slightly over three seconds. Needed a good bit of help on lockout as triceps were fatigued. I think the pause might have been a little too long, but it felt awesome. It was totally under control while it was touching my chest.

DB flyes:

90x2 x 8, 100x2 x 9 (!), 95x2 x 8

Good. These felt awesome today.

Seated skullcrushers:

145 x 8, 165 x 7

Don't think this is a PR, and I'm too lazy to check. But these are exhausting. Right now I'm doing them on a flat bench (no back), but I might change this. It'll make 'em easier, that's for sure.

Tricep pushdowns:

225 x 10, 235 x 7

The stack looked a little unstable with the 35 plate. That's okay, I'll just work on reps.

DB front raises:

45x2 x 9, 55x2 x 9 (!), 50x2 x 8

Good. Again, powerful. Shoulders feeling stronger than ever. Good, solid muscle, and it's doing wonders for my bench stability.

Hanging leg raises:

+15 x 8, +15 x 7, bw x 10

15 pound dumbbell between the legs, legs straight. Damn, that's a long lever arm. These were exhausting. The bodyweight ones were done to full contraction. Legs out straight, from a full hang (legs pointed to floor), all the way up to toes pointing the ceiling, with pause and flex at the top. Brutal.

Diet- perfect

Sleep- 10 hours. lol.

MonStar
07-27-2002, 01:00 PM
DB flyes:

90x2 x 8, 100x2 x 9 (!), 95x2 x 8

Haha Jesus man. I cant believe this sh*t. You used the 100s for 9 reps? My goal for 2003 is the 120s and I doubt Ill get there anytime soon. I am hoping by 2003 but well see obviously. I am looking forward to you doing flyes with the 110s. Maybe next week? Or are you going to hit up the 105s first? Flyes work great for your pecs dont they?

DB front raises:

45x2 x 9, 55x2 x 9 (!), 50x2 x 8

:thumbup::thumbup: Nice strength here B, and good luck getting your shoulder strength and bench back up.

MonStar
07-28-2002, 12:50 PM
Belial:

Are you going to get back into your regular way of squatting so you can get back up to high poundages. I mean youre set to hit a 585 lbs. squat by December if you go back to your original way of squatting. After all, youre not a powerlifter.

Alex.V
07-28-2002, 01:03 PM
Nope. A squat that ain't legal is worthless to me. I have no desire to bump back up my poundages just to say I can move big weights over a sh*tty ROM. A legal, deep 455 impresses me a hell of a lot more than a 2" over parallel 500, in fact, it impresses me more than a 2" over parallel 585. I've hit 515 2" over parallel for 1.5, I could probably do that for a triple now. That's not a challenge. But I want to compare my squat against others who lift under a certain set of standards.

I am considering entering powerlifting competitions, though it's not my only goal. I do plenty of other leg work, so squats for me have one purpose, and that is adding to my meet total.

So, leg day:

Squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 365 x 3, 455 x 2*

455 on the first was a miss. I hit rock bottom, perhaps an inch or two below parallel, and was coming out of the hole fine. I think unequal leg drive caused me to lean to the right, and my ankle turned in my shoe. I lost momentum, and had to get help bringing it up. Widened my stance, hit above parallel for an easy single, but my ankle wasn';t feeling great so I stopped. Shame. I NEED better shoes for squatting. These New Balance cross trainers just aren't doing it. I used to squat with my feet touching the sides of the rack, which meant I didn't have to worry about ankle strength. Now that I've narrowed my stance, ankle support is vital.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Wide stance front squats:

440 x 6 (!)

Intense. Rep five was deep as hell, so I cut depth a bit on rep six. VERY nice, felt very strong.

Paused squats: (3 second pause 1" below parallel)

315 x 3

Too exhausted at this point to try to use more weight. But I'm going to keep doing these.

SLDLs:

495 x 6

Chalk only. No straps, belt, nada. Felt good doing them like this. That's a 14-15 second hold on the bar, and it's not static (there's acceleration). VERY tough.

Decided to try a deadlift. Why? I wanted to see if I owned 495. If I could pull it fatigued after a long leg workout, then the lift is mine.

Deadlifts:

495 x 1

Easy. I own it.

Leg press:

965 x 8, 1,075 x 8

Brutally tough. My legs were FRIED.

Calf raises:

1,160 x 10, 1,160 x 10, 975 x 14 (!)

Not too hard, but exhausting anyway.

So, a good leg workout after all. I need new shoes, though.

Diet- a bit low in cals.

Sleep- 11 hours. Too much. Felt lethargic.

MonStar
07-28-2002, 01:36 PM
Nope. A squat that ain't legal is worthless to me. I have no desire to bump back up my poundages just to say I can move big weights over a sh*tty ROM. A legal, deep 455 impresses me a hell of a lot more than a 2" over parallel 500, in fact, it impresses me more than a 2" over parallel 585. I've hit 515 2" over parallel for 1.5, I could probably do that for a triple now. That's not a challenge. But I want to compare my squat against others who lift under a certain set of standards.

I am considering entering powerlifting competitions, though it's not my only goal. I do plenty of other leg work, so squats for me have one purpose, and that is adding to my meet total.

Wow I am surprised I didnt expect this kind of response from you at all B. Oh well its all good. Good luck getting your legal squat up at least. Nice workout by the way, your front squat strength is incredible.

Alex.V
07-28-2002, 01:37 PM
hehe. Well, I've changed my opinion since I started worrying about depth. I realize how much harder it is to take it those extra 2-3 inches deep, and that's become my latest obsession. :)

MonStar
07-28-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Belial
hehe. Well, I've changed my opinion since I started worrying about depth. I realize how much harder it is to take it those extra 2-3 inches deep, and that's become my latest obsession. :)

Okay man well good luck with it. I personally am much more obsessed with my poundage and just taking my a*s parallel to the floor rather than the tops of my thighs parallel to the floor.

Alex.V
07-28-2002, 09:03 PM
To each his own, man.

MonStar
07-29-2002, 01:49 PM
Belial:

Quick question man. I am wondering about your paused bench. Sorry I might have asked this before.

How do you do this? And paused squats how do you do them? Do you do any kind of pause with chins?

I did a set of paused bench today with 225 for 4. I paused 3 seconds about 4-6 inches off of my chest and that really burned out my pecs completely. Is this what youre talking about? :help::help:

MarshallPenn
07-29-2002, 02:17 PM
I think he's talking about bring the bar to his chest, pausing, and then doing the concentric. Not 4-6 inches off his chest, I could be wrong though.

Alex.V
07-29-2002, 02:24 PM
Yep. I pause the bar just above my chest. The spot is actually higher up my torso than I would touch were I doing stop-and-go, (or short pause, IE competition), but holding the bar too long (3 seconds) over my nipple area puts a lot of strain on my injured shoulder. So I hold it up higher, (between the collarbone and nipples) and on the slow reps I take it down to the normal spot.

Given that my lower chest is more elevated than my upper, I'm actually using a larger ROM stopping the bar 1" over my upper chest than I would were I having it touch my lower chest. Does this make sense? If I didn't have an injury, I would take the bar down, touch my lower chest, hold it for three seconds, then press.

BennettBoy
07-29-2002, 02:24 PM
Dang bro...I just started reading your journal from Page 1 (the first time I had done that) and I'm sitting here in disbelief. You went from 179 lbs. to 225 in like 13 months! Your lifts you started out with 1 year ago are less than my lifts currently and now you are a freakin' monster. You should feel really good about what you've accomplished.

I can't wait to read some more. I am doing something wrong and I got a feeling I already know what it is. I'm very impressed with the manner in which you progress either by always seeking another rep or adding more weight to the bar. Phuck, I got to get busy:D

Seriously, great job man.....and I am eager to see some pictures.

By the way....what is your goal with bodybuilding? Do you want to compete or do you just do it because it is a part of your life and you love it?

Alex.V
07-29-2002, 02:39 PM
Thanks very much for the kind words, man. It's been an odd road, actually. I was a VERY lean 178, and I put on most of the fat going up to 200. After that, I didn't really add much pudge. My mental view is so warped by now that I still think I'm a lil' tubby. lol.

But I do feel good, and posts like yours help. I think what started my progress was a post by somebody, ages ago. It said "If the scale weight is increasing, and your lifts are going up, then you're building muscle". Simple. So I ate, and never let myself do less than I did last week. I eventually injured myself (my shoulder) due to bad form, but I was still learning.

I think the key with the split was flexibility. I had each of the big three (squat/bench/dead), and a day just to back. It was one big lift to get psyched about, but the routine is set up relatively low volume, so I can still set PRs with respectable poundages in auxiliary lifts. I flutter the deadlift intensity week to week, depending on how my squat workout went, and I occasionally change assistance exercises to bring up weak muscle groups or weak points in the major lifts.

Also, as a caveat, if you look around page 28(?) you'll notice I DID do an EQ-only cycle (300mg a week) for 8 weeks back in october. Did this help me? It got me from 196 to 205, I kept every pound, and kept progressing even when I came off. But I think this bears mentioning regardless.

But my main concern now is poundage. :) I've been at 220 for a long time, really, and I'm trying to see how strong I can get at it. I don't have the genetics for bodybuilding. My calves lag like mad, the muscle bellies in my chest, biceps, triceps, etc. are all very short, I have very broad shoulders (so it's harder to give the appearance of mass) and so forth. So, I guess my goal is to be one of the few 220 pound powerlifters with abs. lol.

Pictures.... give me a month or so. :)

heathj
07-29-2002, 02:44 PM
Alex, you 'da man :thumbup:

You still gotta help me come up with a new routine...I'm ok with them, but not great. I am thinking of switching up deads to start on singles...but anyway it's your journal.. ;) One day I'll be where you are now..hopefully before I'm 20. Keep it up though.

Just some girl
07-29-2002, 06:43 PM
My mental view is so warped by now that I still think I'm a lil' tubby. lol.

*smacks Belial upside the head*

*hurts hand on his thick skull*

*runs away before he can retaliate*

*sneaks a peak at his fine @$$ while retreating*
;)

Pup
07-29-2002, 06:47 PM
*slaps belial with fish* i'm the only around here who can claim to be fat dammit

MonStar
07-30-2002, 12:21 AM
Yep. I pause the bar just above my chest. The spot is actually higher up my torso than I would touch were I doing stop-and-go, (or short pause, IE competition), but holding the bar too long (3 seconds) over my nipple area puts a lot of strain on my injured shoulder. So I hold it up higher, (between the collarbone and nipples) and on the slow reps I take it down to the normal spot.

Given that my lower chest is more elevated than my upper, I'm actually using a larger ROM stopping the bar 1" over my upper chest than I would were I having it touch my lower chest. Does this make sense? If I didn't have an injury, I would take the bar down, touch my lower chest, hold it for three seconds, then press.

Okay thanks man, what about a paused squats or chins? Had any success with them at all?

What is the purpose of paused sets more for strength or hypertrophy? Because paused bench today truly exausted my pecs completely but I can also kind of see it being good for busting through a sticking point in bench / squat etc.

BennettBoy
07-30-2002, 08:14 AM
Belial, as I continue reading your journal, I see where you always make comments on your diet.....but I need to know what it looks like bro:D

Seriously, could you give me a sample daily intake of what you were doing when you put on all that weight? Like, what did each meal consist of, what was your P/C/F ratio, how many cals did you shoot for, etc?

I sure would appreciate it.

Peace.

Alex.V
07-30-2002, 11:39 AM
Bennett- lol. Well, I have a few problems. I'm lazy, I'm poor, and I need a lot of calories. I take in about 4000-4500 a day, about 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat. This mixes up, but since I get supplements dirt cheap (working at the GNC), shakes and bars make up a good bit of my diet. Milk, whole wheat bread, cottage cheese, oatmeal, etc. make up the rest of my daily snacks/meals (5-6 of them). Dinner is usually where I cook. Meat and carbs (pasta or rice), sometimes extra olive oil, cheese, etc. I pretty much make whatever I want, so long as it's high calorie and fairly protein. This keeps me sane, and since the rest of my diet is so tight, I don't need to worry about precise macros etc. So, one meal a day I eat like a normal human being, albeit with a hearty appetite. Nothing is off limits, really. It's worked so far. :)

Average back day:

I was woken up at 7 AM by the guys painting the outside of my apartment. They decided it would be cute to smack the ladder against my window non-stop. So, it took me an hour to get back to sleep, then my mother called at 9AM. Doh! So, sleep sucked. This might explain why I was tired as shite.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 4, +135 x 2

Paused weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 5

(2 second pause at top, middle, bottom, middle, top, etc. This was a LONG set. Ouch.) Grip was neutral (hands facing each other)

Me rows: (:D)
aka one handed EZ curl bar rows

160 x 10, 210 x 6.5 (!)

Ouch. Didn't go up as much as I woulda liked. Next week my first set will drop to 8 reps, and hopefully the second will jump to 7. The ten rep set just exhausted me.

Bent-over BB rows:

275 x 10, 305 x 8

No idea if this is a PR. Form broke down on last rep a bit. Something about doing less than 3 plates removes a bit of a mental block, though. heh. Made them seem easier.

Concentration curls with the 50's, and hammer curls with the 65's (3 sets and 2 sets, respectively. 8 reps per set) to finish off.

Diet- a bit low in cals.

Sleep- 5+1 hours. :(

Alex.V
07-30-2002, 11:41 AM
BB, if you want, send me a PM and I'll pretty much tell you what I ate day to day, word for word. I'm too tired to type it out right now. lol.

MonStar
07-30-2002, 11:47 AM
Belial:

Does this sound okay to you for paused movements? Pausing during bench 1-3" off my chest. Pausing in squats right at the bottom of each rep (butt parallel to ground). Pausing in chins around 1/3 of the way up. Not when my arms are 90 degrees but maybe 110 degrees just arching my back hard holding my lats in a contracted position for a 3 count.

Paused weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 5

(2 second pause at top, middle, bottom, middle, top, etc. This was a LONG set. Ouch.) Grip was neutral (hands facing each other)

Damn man long a*s set huh? I dont really see any reason for pausing at the top or middle because anytime I have done this I felt it a lot in my biceps. But a little lower than middle just arching my back hard squeezing my lats hard seemed to work *great* for my lats. What do you think about this?

BennettBoy
07-30-2002, 06:18 PM
I appreciate the information about the diet. About what I expected. Every now and then I just like to see what folks that I know are gaining are doing both in the gym and diet wise.

Peace.

Alex.V
08-01-2002, 11:09 AM
Hmm, so-so deadlift session. I think last week's max single (and failed max single prior) wiped me out, as did the frivolous deadlift on sunday. My lower back and hamstrings are definitely not 100% right now. The next few weeks I'm going to go LIGHT on the deads again, no higher than 455 (maybe 495 for a single), and work primarily on explosive speed off the floor. Bar speed has been suffering from all this maximal work, and I need to remedy that. Lower back and legs will be trained during my leg session.

Lesson learned.

Deadlifts (chalk only):

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 2, 500 x 2

Nothing spectacular. Again, the first rep of 500 wasn't difficult at all, just slow, as was the second rep. I didn't want to push the third, though, my lower back was already wiped out. A little frustrating, but I don't know what I expected. lol. I hate being reminded I'm human.

Static holds (over/under):

585 x 20 seconds, 635 x 10 seconds. (!)

Ow. Nice sag in the bar, though. Funny, a few people were staring throughout the entire second set. lol. Not very exciting, guys. I'm not DOING anything with the bar. Maybe they were waiting for me to drop it on my foot, or for my arms to fall off.

That would have been amusing. For a split second.

Lateral raises:

50 x 8, 50 x 8, 45 x 10

I'm such a little wannabe bodybuilder sometimes.

35 x 10, 40 x 8

Felt nice. Actually felt some soreness in my rear delts (good soreness).

Shrugs:

110x2 x 10, 110x2 x 10

Grip was SHOT!

Calf raises on machine:

Full stack for 12 slow reps, 2 sets. Not sure how much weight it was, doesn't matter.

Sleep- 6.5 hours. :(

Diet- a bit low in calories, and didn't eat enough late last night. Might further explain today's weakness.

Goin_Big
08-01-2002, 11:13 AM
Hey Belial, you're human. :)

Nice static holds.

I like the rep ranges on dls though, more than 6 is just too hard on form, **** even 4 gets a lil bad on form.

MonStar
08-01-2002, 11:56 AM
Awesome static hold B. Incredible grip strength. :eek::eek:

Just some girl
08-01-2002, 04:43 PM

Static holds (over/under):

585 x 20 seconds, 635 x 10 seconds. (!)

Ow. Nice sag in the bar, though. Funny, a few people were staring throughout the entire second set. lol. Not very exciting, guys. I'm not DOING anything with the bar. Maybe they were waiting for me to drop it on my foot, or for my arms to fall off.

That would have been amusing. For a split second.

i think you should look up the definition of amusing in the dictionary. just a thought. ;)

Alex.V
08-03-2002, 02:19 PM
I might have laughed. "haha! There go the old arms. Won't be deadlifting for quite some time, eh? ha. haha."

Erm.... yeah.

Chest/triceps day, in a foreign gym.

Not a bad workout at all. I think all this paused bench has changed my sticking point. I'm VERY strong off the chest, I have no trouble holding 315 for three seconds then firing it off, but my triceps are lagging.

BB bench:

Paused BB bench:

315 x 2

The bar was very wide, and the balance seemed awkward, so I didn't push it. I think I needed less assist on the lockout on rep 2 this week, but I still needed some. S'okay, once I pick up the tricep work that should fix itself.

DB flyes:

90 x 8, 100 x 8, 100 x 7

Nothing spectacular, the DB's only went up to 100. Some discomfort when I stretch at the bottom, though. Still, chest felt very worked afterwards.

Seated skullcrushers:

150 x 8, 165 x 7 (!)

Good, these really work where I'm weak. Felt strong, didn't get that complete and utter failure I sometimes feel on the last rep.

One handed pushdowns:

100 x 8, 100 x 8

(per side). Did these to see if I have a tricep imbalance. I'm thinking no. Each hand got 8 reps fairly easily. Thank goodness that's not something else for me to worry about.

DB front raises:

55x2 x 8, 55x2 x 8

Strong, took the second set to failure. Nice.

Diet- a little off. Low in cals.

Sleep- 11 hours. lol.

that's it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-03-2002, 02:47 PM
One handed pushdowns:

100 x 8, 100 x 8

Dude, you have got to be shitting me?!

rookiebldr
08-03-2002, 09:32 PM
And your worried about an imbalance...in your triceps...pushing 100lbs...per arm :eek:

MonStar
08-04-2002, 12:34 AM
Seated skullcrushers:

150 x 8, 165 x 7 (!)

One handed pushdowns:

100 x 8, 100 x 8

Wow B some impressive strength on the both of these exercises. Didnt realize how strong your tris are man. Its amazing that theyre a weakpoint in your bench now. So I am assuming that paused bench has really helped you out? I hope that it helps me out too.

Alex.V
08-04-2002, 10:39 AM
Paused bench has DEFINITELY helped me out. I think the issue here is not limit strength in the triceps, but the fact that they fatigue very quickly. If I do anything more than a touch and go on bench, my triceps are exhausted by the time I hit the concentric. I'm not quite sure how to tackle the problem.. admittedly, paused bench will exponentially increase the workload on my tri's, but I'd really like to overload the triceps at my sticking point, and actually build more strength at that part of the movement. Lockouts and board presses sound like the way to go... Though board presses still sound odd. :)

PowerManDL
08-04-2002, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't worry so much about any individual muscle's function at each phase of the movement. If you want to improve strength at the sticking point, then focus on strengthening the sticking point; tricep (or front delt or pectoral) function, independently, at each phase is going to be pretty irrelevant.

If you're not already, try holding the pause at the sticking point instead of on your chest. Additionally, some oscillating isometrics (hold the bar at the sticking point, then sorta use "mini-reps" around that point) might help out.

Also remember that the paused work can be used with lighter weights, a quick stop, and a slightly shorter isometric phase to develop speed.

Franco
08-04-2002, 12:22 PM
Lockouts and board presses sound like the way to go... Though board presses still sound odd. :)

No, they are perfectly fine. It's just you thats odd;)

Chris Rodgers
08-04-2002, 01:34 PM
Board presses are ace!!

If you go with the partial work though remember to keep in the full ROM stuff.

MonStar
08-04-2002, 01:38 PM
Paused bench has DEFINITELY helped me out. I think the issue here is not limit strength in the triceps, but the fact that they fatigue very quickly. If I do anything more than a touch and go on bench, my triceps are exhausted by the time I hit the concentric. I'm not quite sure how to tackle the problem.. admittedly, paused bench will exponentially increase the workload on my tri's, but I'd really like to overload the triceps at my sticking point, and actually build more strength at that part of the movement. Lockouts and board presses sound like the way to go... Though board presses still sound odd. :)

Wow thats interesting B. At least you seem to know exactly what your problem is in bench and how to remedy it etc. I think that my problem is the firing off of my chest to be quite honest. I mean hopefully paused bench will help me out with this as its helped you out obviously. The lockout never seems to be a problem. I always end up failing about midway through the movement. Maybe 3-5" off of my chest or something like that.

I would maybe try some paused work pausing at the top of the movement instead of right over your chest like someone else said. Or yeah maybe try some mini-reps from 1/2 way up each rep to lockout. I have never tried board presses so I cant comment on them.

Chris Rodgers
08-04-2002, 01:56 PM
I personally feel if your problem is getting off the chest you need better bar speed.

Alex.V
08-04-2002, 03:26 PM
Thanks very much for the feedback, guys. Board presses will have to somehow be worked in, what I'll likely do is switch up my chest workout... drop a set of flyes and have a set or two of bench assistance work that will vary from week to week. The full ROM/paused bench will remain, though. Honestly, I had no idea how long it would have been before my shoulder let me push 3 plates+ again, but I'm doing it. So it helped.

So I may rotate lockouts, board presses, and paused bench at sticking point from here on out... would working close grip bench, paused at my sticking point, be just as effective a way to work through it, or would y'all recommend standard grip?

Tanks, foos!

Franco
08-05-2002, 04:37 AM
Normally all lockouts, board presses are done with close or fairly close grip. Grips are not taken past the power rings

MonStar
08-05-2002, 09:14 AM
It seems to me that paused lockouts and board presses would work well for strengthening you lockout. I dont know though B. Close-grips would probably be a good idea too I would imagine.

BennettBoy
08-06-2002, 11:52 AM
Well hell B...I can't believe it. I FINALLY made it to page 30 of your journal:D Only 33 more pages to go LOL.

I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with what you have accomplished. :thumbup: Dang bro, those are some serious gains in lean muscle along with some unbelievable lifts.

Keep up the good work. And by the way, I'm going to try what you did by putting my deadlifts on my shoulder day for a while. Maybe it will help me get my weight up on deadlifts. My back/bicep day is just too long and my shoulder day takes less than 25 minutes I'd guess.

Peace.

the doc
08-06-2002, 12:10 PM
hey b, i have some ankle problems. Get some heavy duty, high top leather work boots and wear them on leg day. I used to do this until i got some more confidence in my ankles.

the doc
08-06-2002, 12:11 PM
oh yea man, what week were you gonna be gone this month?

Alex.V
08-06-2002, 01:46 PM
BB: Thanks much. :) I don't think I've even read all the posts in here. lol. Deadlifts on shoulder day worked miracles for me, but just make sure there's enough recovery before leg day.... ideally it should be at the opposite side of the week (thursday- sunday, for example). Though much depends on individual recovery....

Doc- I actually just got some converse. :D Hopefully they should do the trick. And I'm gone from the 13th to the 19th, I think. Lemme guess, that's when you're here. lol.

Pretty good back day. Took it easy.... I skipped my leg day this weekend, and am determined to ease back into my workouts. I also got up at 7AM and drove for 3.5 hours this morning.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 5, +135 x 2

The second rep with 135 had an eight second pause at the top, and an 8 second pause halfway down. Felt goood.

No it didn't.

Me rows:
(BOEZCBR)

165 x 10 (!), 205 x 7

Damn, felt so good on that first set I kept going. The second set was actually 6 reps in the left hand, then form broke down. Rather than cheat out another rep, I said **** it.

Bent-over BB rows:

275 x 10, 300 x 8

Dunno if this is a PR. Prolly not, but I didn't want to go too heavy (since I'm letting my lower back recover a bit, see?) :)

Concentration curls and hammer curls, 50's and 65's respectively. 3 sets/2 sets, 8 reps each. Felt easier than usual, and I had trouble lifting my arms up to take my headphones off.

Diet- Pretty far off this weekend, but it's all good. lol.

Sleep- not so much last night, sh*tloads the rest of the weekend.

MonStar
08-06-2002, 11:24 PM
Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 5, +135 x 2

The second rep with 135 had an eight second pause at the top, and an 8 second pause halfway down. Felt goood.

Wow man nice strength. Awesome pause with +135 bro Jesus. Thats one hell of a pause! :eek::eek:

BennettBoy
08-08-2002, 12:05 PM
B, just for you bro. How bout them Duke Devils!!!

(p.s......I'll delete it later, I just wanted you to know I do like Duke.......basketball:D )

Alex.V
08-08-2002, 12:11 PM
Thanks mang!

Deadlift/shoulder day.

Decided I'm going to switch what I do week to week... I made my best progress when I spent a month working on lockout and speed off the floor, then slowly working to a max. Recently I've been pushing it hard constantly, and now that I'm 100 pounds up from where I was a few months ago, I'm noticing weak points. So, I'll alternate days of working on lockout strength and days where I work on blasting off the floor.

Today was lockouts.

Deadlifts (off floor, chalk only, sumo)

225 x 6, 315 x 3, 405 x 3, 495 x 1

Not bad. Again, 495 was slow as shite, but not hard. This will be my standard progression before lockouts. All the sets prior were done with a quick lift, slam, stand and reset. So, basically, quick singles.

Long lockouts, (9" ROM, no belt, chalk only):

565 x 1, 635 x 1, 675 x 1 (!)

Not hard at all. Done modified sumo style from just above knee level (bar set on pins). The worst part was grip, which almost slipped on the second rep. Feet just wider than shoulder width, hands on the inside. Longer ROM than a regular lockout, I think. My back was screaming, and the bar bent alarmingly.

.... :D

Lateral raises:

45x2 x 8, 50x2 x 8, 50x2 x 8

Snore.

40 x 8, 45 x 9 (!)

Delt imbalance definitely fixed, my rear delts feel VERY strong now. And I'm noticing how little my shoulder is bothering me lately.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 8, 110x2 x 12

Done with more of a forward lean than usual.

Machine calf raises:

Whole stack (whatever that is) for 2 very slow sets of 10.

Diet- Perfect.

Sleep- 7 hours.

ElPietro
08-08-2002, 12:22 PM
I was thinking of doing something similar for a week or two. When you work on speed off the floor do you just mean doing a bit lighter weight and doing speed deads? Or just doing partial ROM? I guess it would be kinda hard to only do partial off the floor...where would you stop, etc. I think my weak link right now is off the floor, so other than doing some glute and hammy work I'm not sure what else would be good.

Oh and f*ck you for 495 not being hard!!! :swear: ;)

Alex.V
08-08-2002, 12:52 PM
Y'know, I'm really not sure how to work on speed off the floor. My problem is that week after week of heavy deadlifting has gotten me used to a slow acceleration, so what I figured I would do is work up relatively light (to mid 400's), and just work on acceleration out of the bottom. I felt my strongest around the mid summer, when I was pulling 405 for quick reps.

Naw, I'd never do a partial off the floor. you're right, it would be weird stopping.

And re: the last part..... :)

MonStar
08-08-2002, 01:33 PM
Long lockouts, (9" ROM, no belt, chalk only):

565 x 1, 635 x 1, 675 x 1 (!)

Wow nice grip strength B. Impressive as f*cking sh*t. I used to do rack pulls from around knee level and got 495 at best. And youre getting 675... JESUS. :eek::eek:

Franco
08-08-2002, 02:19 PM
Alex, from various sources and people that I've encountered if you are doing sumo deads in the rack, plates more than 4" off the ground are basically pointless in doing as they become far too easy.

Alex.V
08-08-2002, 02:21 PM
Franco, for all intents and purposes it's a conventional lockout, my legs are well away from the sides of the power cage. The only difference really is where my hands are.

Chris Rodgers
08-08-2002, 03:10 PM
Good shiat B.

Speed is vital and so is lockout strength. That's a good bit of weight to lockout. Funny how my rack lockout is only like 15-20 or so lbs more than my full ROM dead and you can do 100+ more lbs easily. Good to know that grip won't limit what you pull off the floor for quite some time.

Alex.V
08-08-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by BennettBoy
B, just for you bro. How bout them Duke Devils!!!

(p.s......I'll delete it later, I just wanted you to know I do like Duke.......basketball:D )

lol. Didn't even see that after I updated my journal. Very excellent. :D

Alex.V
08-10-2002, 11:46 AM
Good chest/triceps workout...

Woke up about an hour before the gym, so breakfast didn't have all that long to settle (and rehydration wasn't 100%), but still managed to do pretty well.

BB bench:

Paused BB bench:

315 x 3 (!)

First rep too high up on the chest, but depth was good, second rep was perfect, third rep was a good long pause, with moderate assist (~15 pounds?) through the sticking point. Felt good, though. Next week I'll try this again, hopefully with a smoother second rep and less assist on 3.

5.5-6" lockouts.

315 x 3, 405 x 2, 455 x miss, 425 x 1

What I did on these was start at a moderate width grip (pinkies about 2 inches inside the rings,), then go to a close grip (index fingers on the smooth part) on the second (and third) reps. 315 was easy, 405 was heavy but not too hard.... 455 the bar was bending, but I just didn't have the drive. 425 I got the moderate grip, but the bar got out of position and the close grip just wasn't gonna happen. I just developed much greater respect for those that can take 425 down to their chest and press it.

DB flyes:

95 x 8, 95 x 9

Whoopee.

Seated skullcrushers:

145 x 8, 165 x 7

Wow, these were much harder than usual. I think the lockouts tired me out just a little bit. lol.

One handed tricep pushdowns:

110 x 8 (!) per side.

Good. Problem is finding a comfortable grip.

Diet- perfect.

Sleep- 9 hours. :D

Alex.V
08-11-2002, 11:43 AM
Holy crap, it must have been over 80 degrees in the gym today. Apparently the AC went out yesterday, came back on for an hour, but went out again. So all day, the lovely skylights and glass walls let in all the sunlight, making the weight room a great greenhouse. I was sweating buckets and enervated by the time I was done with my second WARMUP set. Ugh. So I went light on poundages, and instead focused on depth, speed, and form.

Squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 365 x 1, 405 x 1

365 FLEW up... no sweat. Decently below parallel, and I had no trouble whatsoever. 405 was more interesting. I got two guys to come by and watch depth. I demoed how deep I wanted to go, and set the safety stops on the next pin down. Well, on the descent, I went so low that the bar tapped both stops (meaning around 3" below parallel, the way I figured it. Compare this to ~5-6" below parallel being ATF for me), but I had no problem driving up. I think my issue here is keeping my legs closer together. I still lack the flexibility to hit depth wide, and the more stretched I am in the bottom, the less strength I seem to have. So, when the load increases, I instinctively widen my stance, but hitting depth with the wider stance is VERY uncomfortable, and actually weaker.

Paused squats:

315 x 3

Nice, long 3 second pause at parallel, and an explosive concentric. At this point I was really feeling the heat.

Wide stance front squats:

405 x 8

Nothing special here, just nice and deep, good form.

Good mornings:

225 x 8, 315 x 7 (!)

Cut depth on the last rep, but that's because I didn't have spotters (was doing them in the cage), and I didn't want to have to put the bar down. Didn't cut it by much, but it was a sketchy rep.

Leg press:

1,055 x 8, 1,055 x 8

First time ever doing both sets over 1000. Felt good, and went deeper than usual. Knocked the wind out of myself on a few reps. lol. Good strength out of the bottom, though. Better than it has been.

Calf raises:

1,145 x 10, 1,145 x 12

Was too exhausted to push these.

Unilateral hamstring curls:

130 x 10 per side. Left needed assist on the last two reps.

Again, I was beat. Decided to call it a day. Drank about half a gallon of water before staggering out.

Diet- pretty good.

Sleep- 6-7 hours

Goin_Big
08-11-2002, 11:45 AM
Nice GMs, freak anyone out this time?

heathj
08-11-2002, 01:19 PM
Pain in the ass when AC goes out, isn't it? Always happens when it's like 80 and 70% humidity, or some **** like that...

ectx
08-11-2002, 02:43 PM
Good mornings:
225 x 8, 315 x 7 (!)

Dude, you're scary. Every time I read your journal you hit another PR.
Way to go.

Calf raises:

1,145 x 10, 1,145 x 12

On the Smith machine? Leg press? How?

BTW, had another WWBD day on Thursday. :)

IceRgrrl
08-12-2002, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by ectx

BTW, had another WWBD day on Thursday. :)

:rolleyes: God help us all...

So Alex, when does the carpenter show up to enlarge the door?

:D

Alex.V
08-12-2002, 08:58 AM
G_B, naw. Though the guys spotting me for front squats looked a little worried.

Ectx, I do those calf raises on the leg press sled. Jesus, on the smith. That would be damn impressive. lol. Glad to see you putting up a journal. :D

Icer.... I'll deal with YOU later. That's a promise.

Just some girl
08-12-2002, 10:42 AM
IceR...nah, we'll just nip the problem in the bud and go the deflating route. ;)

Alex.V
08-12-2002, 11:58 AM
Between the two of you, my ego.... no, my self-esteem and feelings of self-worth in general, are kept well in check.

I think I'll go drown my sorrows in... in something.

Anyway. Good news: Air conditioning back on in the gym.

Bad news: Three hard workouts in three days. So I was not quite at peak form.

Interesting back workout, though.

Weight pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 6, +135 x 1, +135 x 1

First 135 was normal, second was slow, intentionall taking around 5-6 seconds up, 10-12 seconds down. Paused in the position right before a dead hang.

Me rows:
(One handed EZ curl bar rows, ie dumbbell rows)

165 x 11 (!), 200 x 7

Wow. Decided to go all out on the first set, and form was TIGHT. Was a little beat for the second, needless to say. Good speed on these, though.

Bi-angular row:

5 plates per side x 2, 4 plates per side x 6, 3 pps x 8, 2 pps x 10, 1 pps x 9

These were done roughly in drop set style. First set, remove plates, take a few breaths, do the next set, etc. etc. Brutal. I've never pulled 5 plates per side on these, and it was HARD. By the end, my back was on fire and the single plate per side felt nigh-impossible. lol.

Notice I skipped the barbell rows... Just did good mornings yesterday, didn't need the lower back stress today.

Concentration curls and hammer curls (3 sets, 2 sets, 8 reps on everything, 50's and 65's respectively). Finished off with 2 sets hanging leg raises (toes to ceiling).

And now for a few days off. I deserve it, I think.

Diet- perfect.

Sleep- 8 hours.

IceRgrrl
08-12-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Just some girl
IceR...nah, we'll just nip the problem in the bud and go the deflating route. ;)

LMAO! Very good...sounds like you've got a handle on the problem :D

Glad to hear you've got your A/C back...

MonStar
08-12-2002, 01:19 PM
Weight pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 6, +135 x 1, +135 x 1

Wondering about something B. First of all I am wondering how long has you back been stagnant here at +135 for chins? It seems that no matter what you cannot get past this. Do you have a goal for chins or are you just going to stay around +135?

Alex.V
08-12-2002, 01:21 PM
Well, actually I think I'm getting a little stronger here. There was only a 10 second pause between sets, and the second set was VERY slow. I think if I changed my progression, just doing one low rep warm up set, I could hit 3 reps. So, we'll see. :)

MonStar
08-12-2002, 01:27 PM
Yeah man good luck with progressing on chins.

Weighted pull-ups:

+55 x 8, +90 x 4 (?), +135 x 1 (!) plus two negatives, +55 x 6

This is a quote from back on 3-5-02 I believe. Sometime around the beggining of March. So you have been stagnate at +135 for 4 or more months now. Just seems a little strange since you have progressed like crazy in one-arm rows and every other exercise. Do you feel strong with +135? Ever consider +140-145? Or more?

EDIT: Also man after viewing your journal back to when you started it you seemed to have some good back strength when you started. I mean you got to +100 lbs. fairly quickly. Within a month or so since you started this journal.

heathj
08-12-2002, 01:45 PM
Not everyone can continue progressing at such an accelerated rate forever, especially when they perform the lifts with proper form.

Keep it up B :thumbup:

;)

Alex.V
08-12-2002, 01:59 PM
Aye. Form has improved. And bodyweight has increased slightly. No, doesn't seem strange in the least.

the doc
08-12-2002, 02:31 PM
Yo B, looks like i'll be down there there during the 23-30th of this month. When does the semester start? Since I'm not registered, I want to make sure i can still get into the wilson centre

Chris Rodgers
08-12-2002, 04:00 PM
Maybe you should try the 5x5 routine for chins B. Or the week before that try Westside. Or the week before that try HST. Or, or, maybe you should try dips for chest, Amazing strength here bro. ;)

MonStar
08-12-2002, 04:10 PM
Hahahaha. :D:D

Alex.V
08-13-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by the doc
Yo B, looks like i'll be down there there during the 23-30th of this month. When does the semester start? Since I'm not registered, I want to make sure i can still get into the wilson centre

It starts the 26th, I think. I'll be around, should have my gym membership... and can probably bring you in for $3 a pop. Is that what you had in mind?

the doc
08-14-2002, 12:00 AM
. I had a summer membership, i was thinking it would still be good but that will work also.

Alex.V
08-15-2002, 09:31 AM
Naw, summer memberships expire the 15th.

Mediocre workout in a strange gym. My deadlift hasn't gone anywhere, and I think I know the reason. My squat stance. I used to squat pretty damn wide, but since I've focused on depth, I've lowered the weight and brought the stance in. As a result, my hips are no longer explosively lifting close to 500 pounds every leg day (for reps), but rather they're being worked in the more extreme joint angles. My sumo deads benefitted hugely from the wider stance... where my squat went, so went my deadlift. Now, my legs are only getting worked out wide for 500 pounds for one or two reps a week.... Not enough to continue strength gains, really. So, here's the plan. Drop the deads down, and do reps. Yes, reps. 405 x 6, 455 x 6, that kinda stuff. Not so many that form suffers, but I need to build that strength back up and refine my form (which has suffered). Hopefully my dead will start climbing again.

Deadlifts:

135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 5, 405 x 5, 545 x miss, 505 x 1

Nothing going on 545. Wasn't particularly hyped up for it, and 6 hours of sleep (plus shitty diet for last three days) ain't enough, but... still, shoulda made it. Considering all the circumstances, though, I'm not too pissed., Still pulled 505. Granted, that's 45 off my max, but I was tired.

Conventional deadlifts:

405 x 3, 315 x 6

Just for shits and giggles. Wonder what my max conventional is.

Power cleans:

225 x 2

Saw the 1.5bw power clean thread, couldn't resist.

Lateral raises:

50 x 8, 50 x 10, 50 x 10

These are never noteworthy.

45 x 10, 45 x 10

Good. Shoulders feel so much stronger it isn't even funny.

DB shrugs:

100 x 12, 100 x 12

Damn gyms with their 100 pound dumbbells.

Diet- bahahahahahahaha

Sleep- 6 hours.

ericg
08-15-2002, 09:34 AM
B-

Gonna haft to get two EZ bars and use them for shrugs!

Alex.V
08-15-2002, 09:42 AM
:eek: Actually, not a bad idea.

Chris Rodgers
08-15-2002, 03:24 PM
I use the Farmer's walk bars for shrugs. Excelente. :)

BTW, instead of doig reps you shold start doing extra wide box squats. Those'll build the hips like no other. Mess around with some wide stance pull thrus too.

MonStar
08-15-2002, 10:43 PM
Power cleans:

225 x 2

Wow didnt expect to see these here, what do you think of them B?

Accipiter
08-16-2002, 10:10 AM
Concentration curls and hammer curls, 50's and 65's respectively. 3 sets/2 sets, 8 reps each.

concentration curls? et tu belial?

MonStar
08-17-2002, 06:38 AM
Concentration curls and hammer curls, 50's and 65's respectively. 3 sets/2 sets, 8 reps each.

I am assuming by this you dont care for BB curls? Why may I ask?

Alex.V
08-17-2002, 10:36 AM
I've been doing those same things for a while. I just don't like BB curls. They're way too much of an ego exercise, IMO. Not what I need right now for my arms, since they need work.

Pretty shitty workout. This fitness center here is geared to look pretty, not be functional. The multi-purpose squat rack/bench press is a very flimsy looking rack, with wobbly safety stops and pins set way too far apart. The benches are also ridiculous. They're so wobbly I almost fell off the one I was using when I sat back for DB flyes. So I'm not surprised my workout didn't go well. I may skip my leg workout tomorrow. This equipment is irritating me, and I think I'm just getting too frustrated and psyched out to have a good workout.

BB bench:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 265 x 2, 325 x 1, 225 x 5, 225 x 4

325 needed some help. When I unracked, (first of all, it's about six inches up from rack to starting position) my back started wobbling, so I basically held the bar as I shifted into position. I brought the bar down, and the bench started leaning to the left. Needless to say, it was a tough, awkward rep. I got pissed and slammed out 225 for two sets, fast enough to make the plates rattle and bar wobble at the top. Whatever.

DB flyes:

100 x 8, 100 x 4

Sat down on the second set and almost fell over. pfft. Funny thing is, all the benches are the same. Shitty. Lousy form on a few reps (elbows too close at the bottom) since I felt so unstable.

Skullcrushers:

145 x 8, 165 x 7

Did these with a barbell, which was a first. Awkward, but the EZ curl bar was literally falling apart. Not great, not awful. Just different.

Tricep pushdowns (on lat pulldown):

130 x 8, 130 x 6

Slow, controlled. Hard. Finally, a lift that I felt like I was working the target muscles on.

Cable front raises:

60 x 10 per side.

Finished off with two awesome sets of hanging leg raises, picture perfect form, slow and controlled, and my abs were in serious pain. lol.

So it ended on a high note.

Diet- Miserable. Who cares. Feel kinda flat.

Sleep- 6 hours.

I guess the long, involved father son talks are draining me a bit, too. Not in high spirits. A little unmotivated. I think I need a mental vacation. I'll be back in durham soon enough.

Alex.V
08-20-2002, 10:40 AM
Okay, back to the school gym. So nice to be using familiar equipment, and it was a damn good workout!

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 4, +135 x 3 (!)

Tiny bit of toe assist to get the chin over on rep 3. Whatever. And I followed it with an excruciating negative. Maybe the audience helped.

Me rows:
(i.e., DB/one handed ez curl bar rows)

180 x 10 (!), 180 x 8

Nice! Felt very strong. Since the first set has always been so good, I cranked it up a bit here and decided to let the second one be a bit less intense. Form was great on set one on each side, but broke down on the last rep or two on set two on the right, and the last three reps on the left.

Bent-over BB rows:

305 x 5, 285 x 5, 265 x 4, 245 x 6, 225 x 8

These were done in drop set style. 2 45's and 4 10's per side. Did a quick set, took off the outermost plates, did another set, etc. etc. I felt like I was going to pass out. Or throw up. I couldn't decide which, though, so I didn't do either. But my back felt nicely worked. Never knew 225 could feel so hard on these. lol.

Concentration and hammer curls, same weights as usual. But my arms were more fried than usual. Still kept the same number of reps.

Finished off with some explosive concentric/superslow eccentric pull-ups. 8, I think.

Diet- perfect, after the car ride was over.

Sleep- 8.5 hours. Finally.

BennettBoy
08-20-2002, 10:44 AM
Welcome back to Duke....I know your happy because...IT'S FOOTBALL SEASON :D My bad...that is just something to occupy time until basketball in Durham LOL.

Alex.V
08-20-2002, 10:45 AM
lol. Yeah... get blasted, go watch Duke lose. At least the stadium's nice.

ectx
08-20-2002, 11:17 AM
....but then there's basketball season!...Although lastyear I lost the departmental pool because I had Duke going all the way. Lost 6 cases of beer thanks to Duke. Haha. Dang B, can't you whip 'em into shape? :D

Weighted pull-ups:

BTW :thumbup: Nice.

Alex.V
08-20-2002, 08:11 PM
Damn. I know, such a sad thing, wasn't it? I have no idea how we'll do this year, either.

And thanks. :)

PS-- I think those BB rows killed my back. lol.

Maki Riddington
08-20-2002, 10:18 PM
I hate reading your journal.......:mad:

MonStar
08-21-2002, 12:53 AM
Weighted pull-ups:

F*cking awesome pullup strength Belial! Really impressive man. Keep up the hard work. When are you going to get some pictures up? ... You keep saying summer but school's starting in a week or so for me.

Just some girl
08-21-2002, 02:23 AM
Welcome back!! ;) Hehe. Figured I'd post a welcome in here even though I've already said hi in person and all that. :) We be workin out together soon, foo. :D Hokay, later you!

Alex.V
08-22-2002, 11:56 AM
I dunno, monstar. Some time. :D

Andrea- Thank you! Now, I know you felt crappy today, but you do realize once you're 100% I'm going to be merciless.

Deadlifts/shoulders.

Light deadlift day, mostly working on those hamstrings and hips. Did higher reps, then worked some zerchers.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 8, 455 x 2

Exhausting. It's been a while since I've gone over 3-4 reps, so I really wasn't expecting this heavy of a workload. Damn. I could feel my hamstrings struggling, I've definitely lost a little strength.

Zercher squats:

335 x 6

These started at knee level on the pins. The first lift was hard, but the biggest pain was my arms. I did them with nothing but chalk. Went down DAMN deep on these, and gave a good two second pause with the bar on my thighs.

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 10, 50 x 8

Not bad. Made the rest periods shorter.

35 x 10, 40 x 10

Strict as all hell. My shoulders were destroyed.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 12

Traps were actually exhausted, I think those bent-over BB rows hit them some on tuesday, and the lateral raises worked 'em too. So, that was that.

Did some hang cleans/presses with 155 or something. (Very light) Just trying to get some limberness back in my shoulders. No pain at all.

Diet- perfect.

Sleep- 8.5 hours. :D

MonStar
08-22-2002, 10:00 PM
B:

Man do you feel like your upper back has benefitted from deadlifts at all? New WBB member needsize said that without deads hit back wouldnt grow at all - but after he added them his back exploded. I am kind of hoping for the same kind of thing. Haha I am hoping my back will grow like crazy from deadlifts.. :):)

Alex.V
08-23-2002, 01:06 PM
I dunno, man. I've always done deads, I've always done weighted pull-ups, I've always done DB rows, but I've also always had a good back. So do the deads help? I dunno. I seriously doubt they're doing my for my lats, but....

Alex.V
08-24-2002, 12:44 PM
Excellent chest workout. It's been a long time since I've said that. lol.

My shoulder's close to 100% again, and for the first time I felt comfortable doing full ROM at good speed.

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 265 x 3, 315 x 2 + 1 paused, 235 x 5, 235 x 9

Last two sets had EXCELLENT speed. The first set of 5 was easy, and the second set... I think I may have had another couple of reps in me. Good speed off the chest, blasted through the sticking point (I know, I know, I'll focus more on that later), and the lockout was a snap. Of course, after this my shoulders and triceps were exhausted.

DB flyes:

95 x 8, 80 x 9

Dropped the weight on these and decided to up the reps a little. Fairly strict form, actually, but my shoulders were a little too tired to be much help, so they were harder than usual.

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 7, 155 x 8

Idiot. I forgot to count on the first set. lol. Still, good ROM, good speed, not too tough.

Tricep pushdowns:

210 x 13, 225 x 8

Triceps done.

DB front raises (per hand):

50 x 8, 45 x 10

Not too bad... again, shoulders more fatigued than usual, so I didn't have the strength I usually feel. But.... not a bad way to finish off.

Hanging leg raises, full extension to toes to ceiling:

12, 10

Ouch. Abs actually in pain.

Diet- perfect!

Sleep- 9 hours.

Black_Curtain
08-24-2002, 12:51 PM
:bow: :bow: :bow:

When will we get to see a picture of you, dude? (sorry if someone asked you that before)

Jane
08-24-2002, 12:56 PM
Yeah, dude.

Alex.V
08-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Top of the page, black curtain. Monstar just asked. lol.

I'm camera shy. And I'm not too impressive, ask Jane.

Black_Curtain
08-24-2002, 03:11 PM
*smack forehead* Sorry, I have read most of the journal's final pages, and didn't notice monstar's post.
Anyhow, one who's 100KG @ 8-9% BF, is oughtta be very very impressive. Maybe not as impressive as your lifts, but still very impressive :O (.end suckup)

Just some girl
08-24-2002, 03:18 PM
He is.

Alex.V
08-24-2002, 03:52 PM
Aww, thankee andrea. But you're biased. :)

Black Curtain, I don't impress myself yet. But I suppose my pictures ARE past due....

Black_Curtain
08-24-2002, 04:21 PM
Well impression is in the eye of the beholder.

Jane
08-24-2002, 04:44 PM
I'm camera shy. And I'm not too impressive, ask Jane.
The first part is true. The second part is false.

The only thing that bothers me is that you could be out here inspiring people. There's nothing like visual motivation. Especially at Wbb, where the guys could always use higher goals and renewed enthusiasm.

Alex.V
08-25-2002, 12:23 PM
I dunno how my latest shitty workout could be inspiring to anybody.

Something's wrong with my squat. My legs are getting stronger, my lower back is getting stronger... maybe my hips are losing some strength, but that doesn't explain why my squat is having trouble. Admittedly I've only had two half-assed leg workouts in the last month, but I still should not have lost strength. The only thing I can think of is form... I'm going too deep, actually. Bottoming out and not having the strength to get back out of the hole. Frustrating, because I don't know how deep I'm supposed to actually go, at least not while I'm doing the lift.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 315 x 4, 365 x 3, 425 x miss, 315 x 3

Bottomed out about 2" below parallel. Pointless. Got frustrated, stripped the plates, and immediately did some reps at 315. The lift should have been easy, but depth is what got me. Whatever.

Good mornings:

225 x 10, 275 x 8, 275 x 8

Easy. Albeit uninspired.

Leg press:

875 x 10, 965 x 8, 1,075 x 7 (!)

Good, stronger than ever.

Calf raises on leg press sled.:

1,075 x 10, 1,075 x 10

Nothing special. Just kinda wanted to get out of there.

Unilateral hamstring curls:

130 x 10/130 x 7

Left side much weaker. fook.

Diet- too low in calories, and too many of those calories from beer.

Sleep- 8 hours.

I need to calm down and focus.

ectx
08-25-2002, 01:15 PM
I dunno how my latest shitty workout could be inspiring to anybody.

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. Everybody has an off day, and if nothing else, this reminds us of that. Even still your lifts are always impressive, and you always manage to hit at least 1 PR, even when you have an "off day". I'd call that pretty fookin inspiring. :thumbup: Now stop sulking you little biatch. ;)

Just some girl
08-25-2002, 09:27 PM
:withstupi

I know it was (and is) frustrating for you, but I think you've pointed out some really probable causes for this problem. And if there is one thing that you are good at, it is looking at a problem and figuring out the solution to it. You've done it with your shoulder, you will do it with this. Just give yourself a little time, and have a little bit of faith in your abilities...the rest of us do. :)

Alex.V
08-27-2002, 02:20 PM
Figuring out the problem just lets me know WHY I'm frustrated. Doesn't fix the frustration. *sigh*.

;)

Back day...

Had two classes prior, and spent hours walking around campus, so I was tired, but....

Still managed to have a good workout.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 5, +145 x 1 (!)

Very long negative on 145. Had to put a toe up to stop the descent.... it was a lot harder than I imagined, I think I didn't spend long enough between the 2 plate set and the last one.

DB rows:

185 x 11 (!), 175 x 8/6

Actually felt a little strain around my inguinal region during these (no, not a hernia), so I stopped short on the left side. Ugh. But still, my back really felt 'em.

Bi-angular row drop sets:

10 plates x 1, 8 plates x 4, 6 plates x 7, 4 plates x 9, 2 plates x 11.

Ow. Meesa tired afterwards. Very tired. Felt sick, even. I think I used too much bicep on the last set, so they were a little weak.

Concentration curls and hammer curls, the usual routine. Then some paused pull-ups (with explosive concentric).

Diet - excellent.

Sleep - 6.5 hours. :(

PowerManDL
08-27-2002, 02:27 PM
B- what's with the paused pullups at the end? Trying to let the lats recover a bit before doing them?

BCC
08-27-2002, 02:32 PM
Nah, he's just a pussy. He just did it to recover from all the verbal abuse of the body pump class.

Alex.V
08-27-2002, 02:37 PM
Yeup, I had wanted to do them right after the rows, but I realized I'd be too burnt out to do any at all if I went straight to em. But actually, haveing my biceps tired was a GOOD thing, it made it much easier to focus on using my lats to explode up, rather than pulling with the arms.

MonStar
08-27-2002, 11:25 PM
Weighted pull-ups:

+145 x 1 (!)

:eek::eek: Incredible strength B. Wow. I am completely impressed. Not like I wasnt impressed with one-hundred and thirty f*cking five lbs. on your waist but this is just unreal. Did you do them over or underhand today? Again good job man, keep up the hard work.

When are you getting some pics up! You said end of summer. My classes start in like 6-7 days. Its the end of summer..

LAM
08-28-2002, 12:57 AM
Pretty sick lifts Belial ! :thumbup:

have you always paused at the bottom for pull-ups ? I really just started doing them consitently and I think it makes a big difference...

Sayiajin Prince
08-28-2002, 02:39 AM
Belial = Brolli

nuff said!

Alex.V
08-29-2002, 10:08 AM
LAM- thanks man. Never tried pausing for very long with weight attached, that's usually reserved for the 4-stage paused pull-ups with little or no weight. But... hmm... might be worth trying with more weight on.

Prince- What's a brolli? lol.

Decent deads/shoulders day. I honestly was not expecting much from the deadlifts, my legs were still sore yesterday, I've done probably close to 10 miles of walking since monday, and I haven't been eating all that well, but I still got close to my best triple. I think a lot of it is flagging confidence... I still have good strength, though I may have lost some in the lower back and hips, but I don't think I've lost nearly as much as I thought. And it feels like it's coming back.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 3, 405 x 3, 500 x 3, 405 x 3

Decided to do some conventional for fun.

405 x 3

Woo. These were pretty hard after that.

Next week will be more rep work and zerchers. I'll probably do SLDLs on leg day, too. These just seem to translate better to deads.

Lateral raises:

45 x 8, 45 x 8, 50 x 8, 50 x 13 (!)

lol. Funny story. This jackass kept dropping the dumbbells when he was incline benching... First the 45's, then the 50's, 55's, finally I got pissed, so when I finished my third set, and he was using the 60's, I waited to see if he'd drop them. Sure enough, "THUMP". So I said "Hey, you mind not dropping those? It may be okay with those dumbbells, but once you start getting up to the big boy weights you might break them". He just kinda stared at me. His friend didn't know what the hell to say. The dude mumbled "sorry bout that, I know", then went out to the bathroom. I didn't see him for the rest of my workout. But I was still mad, so I did the 50's for a whole buncha reps. Wish I coulda deadlifted after that, rather than do some foo foo sh*t like lateral raises. Whatever.

lol @ me for being a dick about it.

40 x 8, 45 x 8

Good, strict form. [ bodybuilder crap] Rear delt pump. Woo! [ /bodybuilder crap]

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 16, 110x2 x 14

Hm. Need more weight.

Machine calf raises:

stack x 10, stack x 10

Very slow.

So, decent workout. Barely any PRs, but I'll get back up there soon. :)

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 5.5 hours. :(

BennettBoy
08-29-2002, 10:11 AM
You jerk:D

What's up with no sleep? Partying and getting ready for Duke football?:p

BennettBoy
08-29-2002, 10:17 AM
And by the way, Clemson plays in Durham Nov. 2nd. I'll most likely be making that trip. If you go to any of the games, it would be nice if we could meet up before the game for a cold beer...or two...or three:)

IceRgrrl
08-29-2002, 10:35 AM

lol. Funny story. This jackass kept dropping the dumbbells when he was incline benching... First the 45's, then the 50's, 55's, finally I got pissed, so when I finished my third set, and he was using the 60's, I waited to see if he'd drop them. Sure enough, "THUMP". So I said "Hey, you mind not dropping those? It may be okay with those dumbbells, but once you start getting up to the big boy weights you might break them". He just kinda stared at me. His friend didn't know what the hell to say. The dude mumbled "sorry bout that, I know", then went out to the bathroom. I didn't see him for the rest of my workout. But I was still mad, so I did the 50's for a whole buncha reps. Wish I coulda deadlifted after that, rather than do some foo foo sh*t like lateral raises. Whatever.

Sometimes it just feels good to take it out on someone who was just asking for it ;)

kimpy225
08-29-2002, 10:56 AM
hi!
get more sleep!
tuttut

:strong:
:)

Alex.V
08-29-2002, 12:04 PM
BB- I know, I know. lol. Still, like icer said, he WAS asking for it.
And it sounds like a plan. Let me know the details, hit me up with a PM. Love to have a couple before the game.

Icer- Wow! Posting in my journal! To what do I owe this honor?

Kimpy- Not my fault! Stupid 9:10 classes.

Just some girl
08-29-2002, 12:07 PM
I waited to see if he'd drop them. Sure enough, "THUMP". So I said "Hey, you mind not dropping those? It may be okay with those dumbbells, but once you start getting up to the big boy weights you might break them".

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yay!! I'm just sad this happened after I had already left. I really wanted to tell them off myself, but I think yours was more stinging. Though maybe being told off by a chick mighta been pretty embarassing too....
:evillaugh

Alex.V
08-29-2002, 12:17 PM
lol. Next time, you DEFINITELY should. And I'll back you up. ;)

Just some girl
08-29-2002, 12:29 PM
hehe. just standing menacingly behind me. cracking your knuckles. bwahahahahahha.

ectx
08-29-2002, 10:14 PM
LOL @ Duke and Football. Go Horns.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for such a shameless football flame. :D

Would have loved to see you telling dumbell-dropping guy off. I bet he sh*t his pants. Maybe thatís why he went to the bathroom and didn't return? :eek:

Alex.V
08-31-2002, 12:10 PM
I saw him again today, EC. Smiled and nodded.

No response.

Anyway. Another good chest workout! My shoulder bothered me during the warm up sets, but actually there was no problem once the muscles were warmed up and I was back in my groove again.

BB bench:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 275 x 3, 315 x 4, 245 x 10 (!)

Good. Some assist on 315, esp. the last rep, but not too much apparently. Bar never slowed, strength never tanked. 245 felt so damn light... good solid reps, some assist on rep 10. But... wow. Most reps I've done in a LONG time, with very good form and bar speed on each one.

DB flyes:

90 x 6, 85 x 8

My chest and deltoids were exhausted. And my right bicep was feeling a little strain.

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 7, 155 x 8

Nothing spectacular. Triceps were already tired as well.

Cable pushdowns:

225 x 10, 225 x 11

Ouchie. Slow negative on the last rep, too. Toast.

DB front raises:

50 x 8, 45 x 10 (each side)

Good, slow reps. Shoulders are feeling very strong lately, and I like it.

Diet- wow. Very high in fat and sodium last night. Felt and looked bloated this morning, still do a little bit. (especially in the face). But... I mean, at least I got enough calories. lol.

Sleep- 10 hours. :D

the doc
08-31-2002, 12:25 PM

way to go man! That $hit gets outta hand there !!

Alex.V
08-31-2002, 07:28 PM
HOLY SH*T! WE WON A FOOTBALL GAME!

Good lord, that should NOT have happened. Yeah, it was ECU. But that was a minor miracle. Wow.

Just thought I'd share with all you Duke football haters. lol. ;)

the doc
08-31-2002, 07:37 PM
:omg:

MonStar
09-01-2002, 09:56 AM
BB bench:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 275 x 3, 315 x 4, 245 x 10 (!)

Nice strength B. Glad to hear that your shoulder isnt bothering you anymore.

Wondering man where do you lower the bar BB presses? I lower to about nipple level I would say but I read that lower than that is better for strength and higher is better for pec development. What do you think?

Alex.V
09-01-2002, 12:47 PM
Lackluster leg day. I think I figured out where my deadlift weakness is coming from... it's not hip strength, it's lower back strength. Doing good AM's with a belt hits the hamstrings harder, but seems to make it much easier on my back. I switched back to SLDLs today, and found that these have hardly moved. I'll stick with them for a while, see if that helps.

Also... I may move my squat stance out again. I simply have no strength squatting narrow, and I think it's actually hurting my knees a little. Flexibility again will be my goal. And, you know what? If I end up falling just shy of legal depth (.5"), then... screw it. I won't do any full meets.

Today with squats I just worked on finding a comfortable stance, didn't push it AT ALL on the poundages, but learned a few things.

ATF Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 8

Easy.

Squats just below parallel:

315 x 3, 365 x 3

On the 365 set, I shifted my legs first out, then back in. The wider stance felt so much better, but was a hell of a stretch. Dilemmas.... wtf should I do. ARGH.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 500 x 6, 500 x 4

Been too long since I've done these. I'll stick with 405/500 until I'm hitting 8 clean on the second set.

SLDLs, bar to floor:

315 x 8

Yowch. I know why I don't do these. lol. Too much back rounding.

Leg press:

965 x 8, 1,085 x 6, 1,105 x 5 (!)

Not bad. Moving up in these a bit, I think.

Calf raises on leg press sled:

1,135 x 10, 1,135 x 10

Eased up on these, knee was giving me issues.

Finished off with some easy unilateral extensions and hamstring curls. Just working on the imbalance here. Stretched some at the end, and got out of there.

Diet- Way off. Was at work for 6.5 hours yesterday.

Sleep- 9 hours?

Das' it.

the doc
09-01-2002, 01:02 PM
hey man, you can always open with a lower weight you're sure you can make official and hit up the heavier one for 2nd attempt-fuk the judges and set your own new PR that day :D

also, look like i wont be making it over there, I already miss wilrec, been almost a month and a half since I've had a good intense workouts. I hit it twice at a cool gym but havn't had any consistancy.

Budiak
09-01-2002, 01:37 PM
And learning is half the battle.

I learn a lot from watching other people try to PT their friends. including the ever baffling ' These are called good mornings. Keep your back bent, bent. yeah, like that!'

And hey, look at it like this. I may never lift as much as you, but on the other hand, you'll never be as small as me.

*falls to the floor dead

PowerManDL
09-01-2002, 01:54 PM
Also... I may move my squat stance out again. I simply have no strength squatting narrow, and I think it's actually hurting my knees a little. Flexibility again will be my goal. And, you know what? If I end up falling just shy of legal depth (.5"), then... screw it. I won't do any full meets.

My advice would be not to worry about trying to reach parallel until you're specifically prepping for a meet.....say 12-16 weeks out. That's plenty of time to get your depth, especially if you'll be using full gear.

I think if you're doing any sets over 1-3 reps, you shouldn't even worry about hitting legal depth. Go low, yes, but not necessarily to parallel.

That's what I've been doing recently, and its helped out loads.

If you do want to work on flexibility, train it with heavy singles; remember that in a PL comp, you only have to move the weight once.

Or as an alternative, go lighter and work with ATF squats.

Alex.V
09-03-2002, 09:57 AM
All excellent advice, guys. I do appreciate it. DL, I may do just that... I'm not going to be squatting in competition any time soon, so I may as well build up my strength and stop going psychotic over depth. Not that I should let my form suffer TOO much, but.... right now I'm spinning my wheels.

Good, albeit rushed back day. Don't have much time to update, either. But, overall pretty good.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 4, +145 x 1.5 (!)

Strained my lat a little on the last set. Used a toe touch to get me up to the bar on rep two, then did a damn slow negative. Followed up with 4 shrug-downs. Ouch. I think I may have strained my lat. There was a sore spot on the left muscle, about midway down the back. So I took it easy the rest of the workout.

Me rows:
(Bent-over one handed EZ curl bar rows)

185 x 8, 175 x 8/6

Left side was a little too sore to finish up on these. Ah well, no biggie.

Bent-over BB rows:

275 x 8, 275 x 8, 275 x 6

Nothing exciting here. Just trying to work on my form a little.

Finished up with concentration curls/hammer curls. Good form on these, but not much rest between sets.

Diet- a bit off.

Sleep- 6 hours.

Other- Damn. I love the lights in the locker room. I look ripped to shreds in the mirror. lol. Too bad the whole world isn't lit by flourescent lights.

Relentless
09-03-2002, 10:02 AM
Me rows:

I know you're just avoiding self aggrandizement here, but it just doesn't have the same 'ring' as calling them Belial Rows. :D

Alex.V
09-03-2002, 10:07 AM
lol. I agree. From now on, but only because you suggested it, I'll use that name. ;)

Relentless
09-03-2002, 11:47 AM
sure, sure. That'd be the ONLY reason. :)

Don't let it go to your head.

Blood&Iron
09-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Since I took the time to write this, but the thread got deleted prior to posting it, I'm gonna put it here. :p Feel free to delete it B. I just couldn't let my effort go to complete waste...

However, very few individuals manage to come across as opinionated, ignorant, needle-dicked, jealous, insecure, feebleminded jackasses in EVERY SINGLE POST they make.

I try....

I'd just like to note that others are occasionally called out for numbers that look odd and people will often join in bashing that person. I don't see a huge difference between this and that--except that i'ts Belial who's getting called out. If I saw Belial's #'s without a bit of context, I might be slightly suspicious. I, however, know better. He's one big, strong-assed motherf*cker.

Besides Duque has displayed his stupidity in any number of other posts, so I wouldn't place much stock in anything he says.

Still, I think it's pointless to call anybody out. Belial and I got into it awhile back over Skip La Cour. As I said then, I could care less if people lie. It affects me not one whit. If others are stupid enough to listen to someone simply because he claims(or even actually has) a 19'' arm or a 400lb bench, so be it.

MonStar
09-03-2002, 10:35 PM
Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 4, +145 x 1.5 (!)

Awesome man, keep it up B.

Wondering man do you have any advice for busting through a plateau? I feel like my bench is stuck at 250 lbs. I dont know how long it will take me to get through to 255-260 lbs. for 5x5. Starting to be a real b*tch.

... Still waiting for pics B. ;);)

kimpy225
09-03-2002, 11:29 PM
hi!
:ninja:
*holds trout*

Alex.V
09-05-2002, 10:14 AM
B&I- thank you for posting. I guess most of the frustration stemmed from the fact that a) I've always been more than honest about my lifts and my progress... I mean, read my journal. And b) I've never once tried to prove I'm correct in an argument by touting a lift. I will sometimes state that things have worked for me, but I will never pull numbers out of my ass and throw them in people's faces. That sh*t pisses me off, and I've done my best to stay away from it. Anyway, the people that count seem to have my back, so I'm not too worried. :)

Monstar- Where are you failing on the later sets?

Kimpy- Get that thing away from me. :D

Deadlifts/shoulders day.

Well, whatever was causing my deadlift to weaken has seemed to be reversing itself. A mixture of decreased hip strength and decreased lower back strength seemed to be the culprits, and the few changes I've done in my routine has given me back some strength there. Didn't push it hugely today, did two reps where I could have done three, but since I'm focusing so much on my posterior chain right now I'd rather not have form break down and risk injury, or even simply overtraining.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 3, 315 x 3, 405 x 3, 510 x 2

I like the quick triples leading up to a double. Good speed on them, and on the first set of 135 I go extremely slow, stretching somewhat and warming up as I do each rep. It's great, by the time I get to the double I'm nicely warmed up, craving more weight, but haven't even broken a sweat. Hopefully in a few weeks there will be some PR's up there. :)

Standing military press:

185 x 1

Was going to do a set of these and see how my shoulders felt. Power cleaned the bar up with no trouble, did the first rep, and about halfway up I felt some tension. Brought the bar to lockout, and slowly brought it down. Still not comfortable, there was a slight ache in both shoulders after I racked. I won't be doing these for a while, I think. :(

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 50 x 8, 50 x 8

Did these much more slowly than usual, and I could feel a difference. I do look like I'm passing a kidney stone when I do these, though.

40 x 8, 45 x 8

Yowch. Really felt these in the rear delts. Form must be pretty good, I'm thinking.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 12, 110x2 x 12

Nice and slow, perfect ROM, two second pause at the top. Why? I don't know. Maybe I'm hoping it'll expand my ribcage or some sh*t.

Finished off with some hanging leg raises (dead hang to feet above head, 3 sets, 8 reps each). Very strict form. It hurts to laugh. These always attract attention. I must admit I don't mind that.

Diet- Very, very good.

Sleep- 7 hours, but I feel very tired for some reason.

Das' it, yo.

Pup
09-05-2002, 11:40 AM
Hey B...you ever tried seated DB press for the shoulders...i been doing those for a couple weeks and its taken some of the strain off my shoulder...only drawback is it fries my triceps too.

BennettBoy
09-05-2002, 12:06 PM
HOLY SH*T! WE WON A FOOTBALL GAME!

HOLY SHITE....I've been meaning to say congrats B.

Good luck this weekend:D

ectx
09-06-2002, 01:59 AM

Well, whatever was causing my deadlift to weaken has seemed to be reversing itself. A mixture of decreased hip strength and decreased lower back strength seemed to be the culprits, and the few changes I've done in my routine has given me back some strength there. Didn't push it hugely today, did two reps where I could have done three, but since I'm focusing so much on my posterior chain right now I'd rather not have form break down and risk injury, or even simply overtraining.

Standing military press:

185 x 1

Was going to do a set of these and see how my shoulders felt. Power cleaned the bar up with no trouble, did the first rep, and about halfway up I felt some tension. Brought the bar to lockout, and slowly brought it down. Still not comfortable, there was a slight ache in both shoulders after I racked. I won't be doing these for a while, I think. :(

B, seems like, even so, your shoulder's coming along. Funny how old injuries and the risk of new ones really make you listen to your body. Hope it continues to get better because being injured sux. I look forward to seeing you set up some PR's on deadlift. :)

BTW...I don't hate Duke (even though they pissed me off in basketball last year)...l was glad to see them end that 23 game losing streak. :D

MonStar
09-06-2002, 06:18 AM
Standing military press:

185 x 1

Was going to do a set of these and see how my shoulders felt. Power cleaned the bar up with no trouble, did the first rep, and about halfway up I felt some tension. Brought the bar to lockout, and slowly brought it down. Still not comfortable, there was a slight ache in both shoulders after I racked. I won't be doing these for a while, I think.

Wow man didnt even see this. Good luck if youre going to try and get back into the OH presses. Are your delts starting to fall behind or did you just want to give them a shot to see how they felt?

Alex.V
09-07-2002, 12:22 PM
Monstar, I don't think my delt development is lagging, I just wanted to see how these felt. Mix it up a little, perhaps, if they were all right. But it's a no go. And ECTX, you're right, no little tweak goes unnoticed at this point.

Decent chest day, if a little uninspired. My normal training partner (andrea) didn't come with me, so I didn't want to push it too much on the bench press. Unfamiliar spotter was no good, I need somebody who knows my sticking point and how I like to be helped.

BB bench:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 275 x 3, 315 x 4, 250 x 8

A decent bit of assist on rep 4 @ 315. Didn't have much going this time, but he gave me nothing on rep 2 or 3, so I was wiped at this point. 250 was likewise a little flat... Next week I'm trying 315 x 5 and 250 x 10.

DB flyes:

85 x 10, 85 x 7

Good form, but strength just tanked on the second set.

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 8, 160 x 7

Nothing special here, but form was solid.

Tricep pushdowns:

235 x 8, 235 x 7

Whoop dee do.

DB front raises:

50 x 8, 50 x 8 (per hand)

These actually felt very good today, and my shoulders were nicely pumped afterwards. Silly, yes, but the strength in these is undeniable.

Diet- about 500 calories short, and too many of the ones I DID get (about 450) were from alcoholic drinks. So yeah, situation not conducive to good workout.

Sleep- 8 hours. Roughly.

chris mason
09-07-2002, 01:36 PM
BB bench:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 275 x 3, 315 x 4, 250 x 8

A decent bit of assist on rep 4 @ 315. Didn't have much going this time, but he gave me nothing on rep 2 or 3, so I was wiped at this point. 250 was likewise a little flat... Next week I'm trying 315 x 5 and 250 x 10.

Do I understand this correctly that you have your spotters aid you during your benching? Do you have them hold the bar while you are doing the reps? If so, why?

Reinier
09-07-2002, 01:46 PM
i hate it when somebody does that.... i always tell them specifically to just take it off me when im ALL finished and not touch till then

Alex.V
09-07-2002, 04:40 PM
Chris, the idea is that I have the spotter help me through the sticking point on the second to last rep, and then give me slight help throughout on the final rep. I started this because I've been benching extremely slowly (paused benching), which leads to extreme tricep fatigue in the bottom position. Since I'm not comfortable enough with my shoulder yet to explode off the chest, I have little or no momentum coming up through my sticking point, and my triceps are already fatigued. So as I don't end up failing early due to fatigue in only a small part of the ROM, I have some assist to help me through that, and manage to complete the lift through the full ROM.

Whatever it is, I love it. It's what I've been doing since the late spring, and since then my full ROM bench (without assisted reps) has gone from probably a 265 single to around a 340 single now, which is as high as it was before my shoulder injury. What I need at this point is to start board pressing, or doing other work specifically at my sticking point. Bar speed is a must, but, as I said, I'm not quite confident enough in my shoulder's rehabilitation to give it 100%. That's actually the purpose of the last set... normal speed eccentric, explosive concentric. The few weeks I've been doing these, I've seen noticeable improvements in speed off the chest at non-maximal weights. I guess I see no reason to change what's working... I'm back at 3 plates for reps, getting stronger, and have no shoulder pain whatsoever.

You have any thoughts on the matter? I'd love to hear any ideas you may have. :)

Reinier
09-08-2002, 03:03 AM
does your shoulder hurt at all

chris mason
09-08-2002, 08:45 AM
Chris, the idea is that I have the spotter help me through the sticking point on the second to last rep, and then give me slight help throughout on the final rep. I started this because I've been benching extremely slowly (paused benching), which leads to extreme tricep fatigue in the bottom position. Since I'm not comfortable enough with my shoulder yet to explode off the chest, I have little or no momentum coming up through my sticking point, and my triceps are already fatigued. So as I don't end up failing early due to fatigue in only a small part of the ROM, I have some assist to help me through that, and manage to complete the lift through the full ROM.

Whatever it is, I love it. It's what I've been doing since the late spring, and since then my full ROM bench (without assisted reps) has gone from probably a 265 single to around a 340 single now, which is as high as it was before my shoulder injury. What I need at this point is to start board pressing, or doing other work specifically at my sticking point. Bar speed is a must, but, as I said, I'm not quite confident enough in my shoulder's rehabilitation to give it 100%. That's actually the purpose of the last set... normal speed eccentric, explosive concentric. The few weeks I've been doing these, I've seen noticeable improvements in speed off the chest at non-maximal weights. I guess I see no reason to change what's working... I'm back at 3 plates for reps, getting stronger, and have no shoulder pain whatsoever.

You have any thoughts on the matter? I'd love to hear any ideas you may have. :)

So, you are performing forced reps. I think forced reps are a good idea. I only asked because I always took your journal to indicate what you could perform to failure without assistance. In other words, when you bold the font and place the exclamation point, I took that to mean that you performed that many reps on your own. I was just looking for clarification. Now, do you do that on all of your exercises, or just on the bench? If you only do it on the bench, you might say 315 x 2 + 2 forced, or something of the like. Of course, it is your journal and you can do whatever you want, I was just curious when I read that. You see, it proves I pay attention to your journal:) .

Alex.V
09-08-2002, 08:52 AM
Ah, understood. :)

Chris, I usually note the degree of assist per rep in the text down below, whether it be fingertip, significant, etc. Were I to do the reps with good speed, I'm 99% sure I could do 315 for 4. Possibly 5. There are no other lifts that I do said forced reps for, and on my bench, when I started with paused, often in the beginning of a new weight I would not be able to do more than a single rep without assist, and possibly the next 4 would have some help. As time went on and I grew accustomed to the weight, I would eventually get less and less assist, and do them all under my own power. This is likewise noted when it happens.

In addition, the last rep is only occasionally a true "forced rep". Forced rep would imply a significant amount of assist, and I don't think 5-10 pounds of help quite count as a "forced" rep. Lately, the slowness has been wiping me out, and since I've hit 315 the last rep often requires more help than the last rep at an easier weight like 295. But, as I said, I do try to note this. :)

the doc
09-08-2002, 08:57 AM
lol... quit inflating your lifts foo!

the doc
09-08-2002, 08:57 AM

Alex.V
09-08-2002, 09:17 AM
That'd be funny if there wasn't a skinny whiny little bitch out there who thought I did. :D

PowerManDL
09-08-2002, 09:59 AM
LOL

Chris Rodgers
09-08-2002, 10:56 AM
HAHA!!

Nice liftin foo!

When do you think you'll be ready to join us for a meet?

Alex.V
09-08-2002, 12:45 PM
This winter, man. Deadlift meet. Squat sucks, bench sucks. So I'll be pulling with you guys. :)

Maybe Andrea will too... :D

Leg day:

It's like night and day with my squat stance. I did them out wide for the first time in a long while... and it's amazing how different they feel. It's all glute and hamstring, which have gotten a little weaker from the last few months of narrow squatting. I think I'm going to do wide stance for a few months, build that strength back up. Powerman's right, I'm not planning on squatting in competition anytime soon, so as much as I'd like to keep my depth, I'd rather continue to squat wide, build up hip, hamstring, and glute strength, watch my deadlift climb, and slowly build the flexibility I need.

Squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6

Constant motion squats:

315 x 5

2-0-2-0 tempo. Two second descent to parallel, no stop at the bottom, two second ascent, no stop at the top. In fact, I don't think my legs even locked completely. Speed constant throughout. I really liked these, for some reason they feel extremely controlled, and I feel like I'm really getting equal leg drive. I may keep doing them for a while.

Wide-stance squats:

405 x 3, 405 x 5

First set was actually wide-stance front squats, but my knees were coming forward a bit. Like I said, it was weird doing these again.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 495 x 6, 495 x 7

These feel much stronger than last week... and I really do think I need to stick with these to get my deadlift up again. Good speed, good ROM.

Leg press:

9 plates per side x 10, 10 pps x 8, 11 pps+10lbs x 7

Thrilling these were not. But they were a good burnout nevertheless.

Calf raises on leg press:

12 pps x 10, 10 pps x 16

Calf raises on machine:

Full stack x 12, very slow, two second pause at full stretch.

Stretched a bit, and headed out.

Diet- Sucked. Worked yesterday.

Sleep- 8 hours, but woke up a few times. :(

the doc
09-08-2002, 12:59 PM
man i tell ya that wilrec has got to be the cadillac of college sports facilities.

As much as we bitched about the dumbbells only going up 105, man the facilities here at OSU are adequate but seriously lacking :( in many ways

the doc
09-08-2002, 12:59 PM
way to many people for not enough equipment

I cant wait till 40000 undergrads show up wanting to get jacked in 1 month...lol

MonStar
09-09-2002, 01:05 AM
It's like night and day with my squat stance. I did them out wide for the first time in a long while... and it's amazing how different they feel. It's all glute and hamstring, which have gotten a little weaker from the last few months of narrow squatting. I think I'm going to do wide stance for a few months, build that strength back up. Powerman's right, I'm not planning on squatting in competition anytime soon, so as much as I'd like to keep my depth, I'd rather continue to squat wide, build up hip, hamstring, and glute strength, watch my deadlift climb, and slowly build the flexibility I need.

Good idea B. Looking forward to seeing you getting back into some HEAVY squats. Going to be interesting to see how you do with your wide-stance squats. How much wider than parallel do you go B?

MonStar
09-09-2002, 09:00 AM
Belial:

Wanted to ask you man I know that I have asked you this before - and I am sorry for asking you again, but I am dropping my paused movements and need your help. For chins, after you have hit failure you do something called shrug-downs. How do you do them and what purpose do they serve? :):)

Thanks man.

Alex.V
09-10-2002, 10:11 AM
Monstar, they actually exhaust the lats through the bottom part of the ROM, which is the last part to fail.

Decent, though hurried back day, and this entry will be just as hurried.

Dehydrated as HELL going into my workout, so I guzzled water the whole time. The good part was, I no longer felt flat or weak by the end. The bad part was, I felt sick.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 4, +145 x 1.5

No improvement here. Still felt very weak at this point. And Andrea was having a bad workout, so I went over a few times to chat. :) It's all good..... I think I felt a little hypocritical telling her not to worry about missing lifts when I go ballistic when it happens. But, in her case, she was using the wrong DBs. ;)

Belial rows:

195 x 8, 185 x 10/8

Kept screwing up my grip in the left hand on the second set.... but the right hand felt excellent. Good ROM, good lat contraction at the top, and good stretch at the bottom. Nice set.

10 plates x 1, 8 plates x 5, 6 plates x 8, 4 plates x 11, 2 plates x 14

Jesus, I felt sick. The nausea came on and didn't go away. My back was on fire, my traps and biceps were sore, and... yeah. I was happy.

Concentration curls finished off my workout. I was too burnt to do hammers.

Diet - low in calories and carbs (work yesterday).

Sleep- 6 hours. Oops. :(

Franco
09-10-2002, 01:42 PM

Damn, you bodybuilder;)

Relentless
09-10-2002, 01:44 PM
Belial rows: 195 x 8, 185 x 10/8

Kept screwing up my grip in the left hand on the second set.... but the right hand felt excellent. Good ROM, good lat contraction at the top, and good stretch at the bottom. Nice set.

I noticed ElPietro tended to reset and regrip between reps on heavy Belial Rows.. .do you do this as well? Also, do you go right to the floor on every rep or just above it? Myself I have been finding that it is sometimes more stable if I regrip but I feel that I lose the focus for the lift. Without getting sloppy, my preference is to rip through sets at a controlled but constant tempo...

Alex.V
09-10-2002, 01:56 PM
Franco, I know. lol. My back (i.e., lats) is the only part I train like a bodybuilder, so I may as well go all out. Dare I say drop sets give me a wicked pump. :D

Callahan- I try not to regrip if possible, it does ruin my focus as well. I find myself re-gripping on the left side, probably 2 or 3 times per set, whereas I'm usually fine with my initial grip on the right. Who knows.... hand strength? I don't touch the ground, either, but do go to full lat extension. A lot depends on how high the bench is.

the doc
09-10-2002, 05:31 PM
belial rows...lmao!

that biangular machine is ace, eh?

so on the drop set did you rest for any period, how did you get the plates off ? spotter?

Alex.V
09-10-2002, 05:41 PM
lol. Callahan named 'em.

That machine is awesome. I rested for as long as it took to get the plates off (Andrea was helping me), and maybe take a few deep breaths. I dunno.... 5-10 seconds?

the doc
09-10-2002, 05:49 PM
awesome man, we have the hammer strength version of the machine (circa early 1990s) but i was thinking actually to try a drop set on that mofo after my "belial" rows (since the damn dbs only go up to 100)

who do you think you are, Zercher? :p

Just some girl
09-10-2002, 06:56 PM
thank you for being there for me today. i was being dumb. i just hope i didnt mess up your workout too much. chalk it up to...i dunno. somethin'. anyway, thank you. :)

and, awesome work out. ;)

MonStar
09-10-2002, 09:01 PM
Monstar, they actually exhaust the lats through the bottom part of the ROM, which is the last part to fail.

Sorry man, I wanted to know what purpose they served and exactly how you do them, thanks B.

Alex.V
09-12-2002, 10:15 AM
They work the lats and other upper back muscles. And as I've explained many times in this journal, you simply hang on in the fully extended position, try to pull your shoulders down, and pull your shoulderblades together.

Good deadlifts/shoulders day.

My deadlift is probably around where it was before I started the squat stupidity. ;) Today's workout was excellent in that respect, and I set a pseudo-PR.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 3, 315 x 3, 405 x 3, 515 x 2 (!), 405 x 6

515 is a PR because I've never gone over 510 for reps... and honestly, I don't feel I own a weight until I get a double with it. The first rep flew up, the second was slower but not a struggle. may have gotten three, but I had an audience (attracted by the heavy breathing and pacing prior to the attempt), so I didn't want to let them down by missing the third rep.

Worst reason not to try. I could pretend I didn't do it because form would have suffered. :D Yeah, we'll go with that.

Lateral raises:

45's x 10, 45's x 10, 50's x 8, 50's x 8

Excellent form. And I must say I got a "wicked pump" doing these. Somebody stop me. Drop sets, talking about my "pump".... all I need now is a pair of itsy bitsy posing trunks and some fake tan, and I'll be all ready to prance around on a stage.

;)

35 x 10, 40 x 10

Woo.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 14, 110x2 x 14

Traps were already tired, actually.

Hanging leg raises (180 degree ROM) and some full extension, paused calf raises (full stack) finished off the workout.

Diet- pretty good, actually.

Sleep- 7.5 hours, but I still feel very tired.

Just some girl
09-12-2002, 10:17 AM
itsy bitsy posing trunks, you say...

....what about your pairs of....:D

you know what im talking about. do those count? ;) :p!!!

bwahahahaha....im so bad....

PowerManDL
09-12-2002, 10:18 AM
And I must say I got a "wicked pump" doing these. Somebody stop me. Drop sets, talking about my "pump".... all I need now is a pair of itsy bitsy posing trunks and some fake tan, and I'll be all ready to prance around on a stage.

;)

Don't worry, it happened to me too. I got over it.........though I may soon be having a relapse.

Alex.V
09-12-2002, 10:20 AM

....what about your pairs of....:D

:eek: tuttut

You're going down, girl.

DL, how the hell did you overcome? I feel ridiculous enjoying my pump on the same day that I deadlift. I also kinda have the urge to flex in the mirror and have an "arms" day.

PowerManDL
09-12-2002, 10:23 AM
I know its hard.....you just have to keep the mantra of "heavy things........heavy things" droning in your head.

Just some girl
09-12-2002, 10:23 AM

DL, how the hell did you overcome? I feel ridiculous enjoying my pump on the same day that I deadlift. I also kinda have the urge to flex in the mirror and have an "arms" day.

LOL!! In order to do this you must wear your flipflops (wow, that even sounds gay...:eek: ) to the gym. Extra points for winking and kissing at your reflection in the mirror.

;)

Chris Rodgers
09-12-2002, 03:10 PM
Nice Job B!!

When you come do a meet with us you can pull your last attempt deadlift for a double to show off. ;)

the doc
09-12-2002, 04:18 PM
lmao,

you'd fit right in wilrec. Nothing like throwing a few poses in with the rest of the wilrec curl jockeys

the doc
09-12-2002, 04:18 PM
well if you got that for a double then you must be able to get 1030 lbs right?

hehe

ElPietro
09-12-2002, 08:08 PM
I haven't been posting much lately, so in an effort to make amends:

:spam:

Just some girl
09-12-2002, 08:23 PM
heh heh...heh heh...heh heh heh

:hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump:!!!!!!!

PowerManDL
09-12-2002, 08:28 PM
http://216.40.241.68/otn/happy/thebirdman.gif

MonStar
09-12-2002, 09:13 PM
Nice pull B! :thumbup::thumbup: Your grip strength must be unreal man. Keep up the hard work.

IceRgrrl
09-13-2002, 10:42 AM

The first rep flew up, the second was slower but not a struggle. may have gotten three, but I had an audience (attracted by the heavy breathing and pacing prior to the attempt), so I didn't want to let them down by missing the third rep.

Worst reason not to try. I could pretend I didn't do it because form would have suffered. :D Yeah, we'll go with that.

Mr. Popularity is at it again ;)

Good workout!

Alex.V
09-14-2002, 12:43 PM
Yeah, you know me. ;) Mister Social in the gym, as well.

Decent chest workout.. looked like it was going to suck.
These next few weeks I'm really going to work on the last (explosive) set.... I think I'm getting the most benefit out of it.

BB bench:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 275 x 3, 315 x 3, 250 x 9 (!)

Better than last week, really. The 250 was VERY strong for the first few early reps. Of course, I now realize that this extra high-effort set is making the rest of my workout a little lackluster. lol.

DB flyes:

90 x 8, 90 x 7

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 7, 155 x 8-10

Was feeling a little weak on the first set, and actually lost my balance sitting down. I got mad on the second and just kept going. I thought I did 10, andrea thought I did 8. But she's not sure. And I'm not sure. but who cares? :)

Tricep pushdowns:

full stack x 10, 235 x I dunno. At least 12

Just kept going on these until I couldn't move my arms.

DB front raises:

45 x 10, 50 x 10

Very good. And, uh... nice pump on them too

Diet- not bad at all.

Sleep- 8-9 hours.

Other- Must redirect testosterone to workouts!

;)

Just some girl
09-14-2002, 01:09 PM
awww....

no, you are right though. but it does have many other good uses. HEY! Maybe you just need more!

(Disclaimer: the above is an attempt at humor. any attempt to use it in any way not in line with its original and sole purpose is to misues it and will be disregarded and denied by the manufacturer. Thank you and have a lovely day.)

Just some girl
09-14-2002, 01:09 PM
oh yea, and.....

:hump:

the doc
09-14-2002, 01:46 PM
awww....

no, you are right though. but it does have many other good uses. HEY! Maybe you just need more!

heh heh
more test eh?

Alex.V
09-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Pretty damn good leg day...

Went back to wider stance squatting, and honestly I think my flexibility is a little better, if only because I no longer feel the drastic strength reduction when I get close to depth.

I'm going to take it easy on squats, and work on my deadlift. That's the plan.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 6

Not so terrible. Good strength. Much more power coming up, these were pretty explosive.

Paused squats:

315 x 6.

Nice, long pause right below parallel. Good strength at the bottom, too.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 495 x 8

No improvement, but next week I can bump it up a little more.

Leg press:

20 plates x 8.

Leg press drop sets, had andrea and her friend pulling off the plates. Only long enough between sets to have them remove the plates, didn't re-set, was still supporting the sled while plates were being removed. (Number = number of plates x reps)

20 x 3, 18 x 4, 16 x 5, 14 x 6

Jesus christ. Holy sh*t. Ouch. Ow ow ow.
I mean, uh....

Grr. Grunt. Snort. easy.

Holy crap these hurt.

Calf raises:

22 plates x 8, 22 plates x 12

That was it. My legs were in too much pain.

Diet- not bad at all. 3 beers last night, but drank lots of water and took some creatine before bed. Strength was good.

Sleep- 8 hours

the doc
09-15-2002, 01:37 PM
man i did those leg press drop sets a while back at this gold's where i was visiting in FLA

THis quite large BB and i were talking after i did some squats and he convinced me to do them. OH MY GOD i have never cramped so much in my life!

About 3 hrs later i could not move my legs without some type of cramp in the quad or hams

Fukking awesome

chris mason
09-15-2002, 03:21 PM
I'm trying to remember if I ever did them... I think I may have done drop sets on squats, but not on leg press, but I am not sure.

heathj
09-15-2002, 06:21 PM
Aren't you mad? MonStar surpassed you on squats! ......................................

Alex.V
09-15-2002, 06:45 PM
lol @ heath.

Doc, ain't they awesome?

Chris, they were pretty damn tough... I was in serious pain. Probably won't be doing them again for a while, but I may have the first real leg DOMS I've had in months tomorrow. :D

Just some girl
09-15-2002, 08:05 PM
DOMS DOMS DOMS DOMS DOMS DOMS!!!!

the doc
09-15-2002, 08:07 PM
i plan on throwing one down next leg day

MonStar
09-15-2002, 09:15 PM
Leg press:

20 plates x 8.

Leg press drop sets, had andrea and her friend pulling off the plates. Only long enough between sets to have them remove the plates, didn't re-set, was still supporting the sled while plates were being removed. (Number = number of plates x reps)

20 x 3, 18 x 4, 16 x 5, 14 x 6

Sh*t man this looked hard just looked at it. Wow. Nice job B.

Alex.V
09-17-2002, 10:10 AM
No **** DOMS. lol.

Interesting back day...

Was late for my class this morning, didn't get enough sleep last night, and am still all around in a slightly foul mood, as opposed to my normal chipper demeanor.

However!

Despite that, it was a good workout. Some lifts actually went up a good bit.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 4, +155 x 1 (!)

Jeebus. I kinda pussed out on the negative, so I used my legs on the safety stop to pull myself back to the top, so I also did an extra slow negative at 155. Good. That was a lot of weight between my legs. Not much more than usual, though.

Belial rows:

I must stop calling them that. So self-serving.

185 x 8/8, 185 x 9/7

Damn. Left lat sucks. I think my form on the left side is just inferior. maybe I'll start with that side from now on.

BB rows:

275 x 10, 315 x 8 (!)

Never done 315 this quickly or explosively. The first 4-5 reps actually made the bar flop up and down, but on rep 8 I failed HARD, about 2" from my stomach. So I popped it up a bit and did the eccentric nice and slow. Whee. But honestly, unracking the bar and walking back... it felt like nothing.

Bodyweight pull-ups:

1 set of 20

This was too easy. I wonder how many I could do fresh... back when I could hit 40 fresh (at a bodyweight of about 175), I could only do 15-16 at the end of a back workout. Even conservatively speaking, I'm sure I got at least 30 in me, fresh.

Concentration curls and cable curls to finish off.

Diet- Pretty good, even though I was at work yesterday.

Sleep- 5.5-6 hours. Oops. :(

That's it, yo.

Just some girl
09-17-2002, 10:17 AM
Good work out! It's always fun just being in the gym at the same time as you.

We will have to work on getting you in a better mood. I'll make a list of some possible ideas. ;)

BennettBoy
09-17-2002, 01:56 PM
am still all around in a slightly foul mood, as opposed to my normal chipper demeanor.

What's got you all peeved off lately B? You guys won a football game. That's more than you won the past 2 years combined:eek:

Just joking....seriously, is school tough this semester? Or you got lady problems LOL?

BennettBoy
09-17-2002, 01:58 PM

Damn. Left lat sucks. I think my form on the left side is just inferior.

Oops, meant to comment on this too. I have the exact same problem. When I do dumbbell rows, it is like night and day between my right side and left side. I just figured it was because I was right handed and thus my dominant side.

ElPietro
09-17-2002, 02:13 PM
Haha, what are you all grumpy about? You didn't listen to the lady and go out and get more Test did ya? :D

Just some girl
09-17-2002, 03:15 PM
Hey! What's with gang up on the female day? ;) Alright, fine...it's all my fault. Sure, sure, everyone needs a scapegoat. :p

MonStar
09-17-2002, 09:13 PM
Weighted pull-ups:

+155 x 1 (!)

Jesus man, thats friggin' unreal B. :eek::eek:

I know that a lot of people think that I make TOO big of a deal out of your poundages but this one just gets me everytime. I mean 155 lbs. around your waist is just f*cking insane. Keep up the CRAZY work B.

When are you getting pics up!!?

Accipiter
09-18-2002, 10:10 PM
who's andrea?

the doc
09-19-2002, 05:05 AM
its B's cross dressing alter ego

Accipiter
09-19-2002, 07:42 AM
why would it have to be an alter ego for him to cross dress?

Just some girl
09-19-2002, 09:56 AM
lol!

:hello: accipiter. im andrea. ;)

Alex.V
09-19-2002, 10:22 AM
lol. Doc, don't make me hurt you.

Good deadlifts today!

Felt very strong, even though I had originally planned on going to the gym later in the day. Didn't get a huge amount of sleep, but drank a hell of a lot of water before I left for class in the AM, and it seemed to help.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 520 x 2 (!), 405 x 10

520 is, again, the most I've done for a double. Good speed once the bar left the floor.... second rep was sheer willpower, but... yeah. I got it. Woo!

405 was extremely easy. Really, after the first few reps, I got into a zone, and forgot to count. I stopped at what I think was ten, but it wasn't due to failure. I was just worried that my form would start breaking down. I feel like I could have done another 5 or 6. Fast reps, too.

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 50 x 10, 45 x 10

Very good ROM, slow speed, excellent.

35 x 10, 40 x 8

Getting more strict on these.

Deadlift lockouts/static holds, 12" ROM, feet about 1" apart:

585 x 1 (15 second hold), 605 x 1 (10 second hold)

Ouch. Heavy. Hard. Hands on fire.

Finished up with one set of upright rows, to see how they felt. Did a set of 14 hanging leg raises (from full extension to toes to ceiling), and called it a day.

Diet- Purty damn good.

Sleep- 6 hours.

Notes- Chemistry SUCKS. I think I stained a fingernail yellow yesterday. It tastes like some weird chemical. Maybe I should stop nibbling at it. heh. :D

Just some girl
09-19-2002, 10:26 AM
oh jesus. great. what substance are you messing with now? and leave the sulfuric acid alone!! ya damn weirdo! :p

ectx
09-19-2002, 11:28 AM

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 520 x 2 (!), 405 x 10

Scary, simply scary. Awesome man.

Notes- Chemistry SUCKS. I think I stained a fingernail yellow yesterday. It tastes like some weird chemical. Maybe I should stop nibbling at it. heh. :D

LOL. Same thing happened to me once, only it was my entire hand. It'll stay like that for a couple of weeks.

MonStar
09-19-2002, 03:34 PM
Deadlifts:

520 x 2 (!), 405 x 10

These last 2 sets are friggin' unreal man. Keep up the hard work man. Incredible strength. 520 x 2 is crazy, and so is 405 x 10. :eek::eek:

Accipiter
09-19-2002, 04:06 PM
Hi andrea! so ar eyou belial's play thing?

the doc
09-19-2002, 05:09 PM

that would be from nitric acid eh? Dont worry its only xanthoprotein :D

what are you in chem 11/12
or 151/152?

WHo's your TA?

Accipiter
09-19-2002, 05:20 PM
haha yeah we got warned about the nitric in chem....some people didn't take caution though..

Just some girl
09-19-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Accipiter
Hi andrea! so ar eyou belial's play thing?

:eek:

nope. he's mine. :D
;)

Alex.V
09-21-2002, 12:55 PM
Not a bad chest day at all.

I'm dropping down the heavy set and focusing back on paused bench, since I've gotten my best gains from that. My goal today was to hit 10 reps at 250, and that I did.

BB bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 275 x 3, 315 x 2 (The second rep had a 4 second pause), 250 x 10 (!)

Whee. Nice, very strong. 135 was fast as all hell, and had zero pain whatsoever. That's probably a first. In fact, I had no shoulder pain throughout the entire workout. 250 was fast enough on the first few sets that the bar wobbled and plates rattled on the lockout. The paused rep was also really good on 315... the weight does feel controllable now.

DB flyes:

90 x 9, 85 x 8

Nothing spectacular here. Chest was very fatigued.

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 9, 155 x 8

Again, I was too tired to really push these. I can't believe how much that fast set of bench takes out of me.

Tricep pushdowns:

Stack + 25 x 10, Stack + 45 x 7 (!)

Wow. That 45 was heavy, and the stack looked like it was going to topple. But strength on these was good.

Finished off with some DB front raises, and called it a day.

Diet- excellent

Sleep- 9 hours. At least. WOO!

Uhh, that's pretty much it. Now I got work. Oh, last night at the blockbuster some dude came up to me and starting asking me about lifting. What supplements I took, etc. It was cool. heh.

Thas' it. Piece, foos.

the doc
09-21-2002, 01:10 PM
hey man pretty impressive on that stack pushdown. I found out that the pully factor over on the lat pulldown machine gives more assistance. You might try switching off the pulldown bar for your v-bar since your already adding 45 lbs..lol

Alex.V
09-21-2002, 05:37 PM
Yep, I'm thinking about switching to those. :)

the doc
09-22-2002, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by the doc

that would be from nitric acid eh? Dont worry its only xanthoprotein :D

what are you in chem 11/12
or 151/152?

WHo's your TA?

bumpity bupm

Alex.V
09-22-2002, 01:25 PM
Chem 23L, accelerated general chemistry. 11 is now 21, 12 is now 22. Basically, both those courses combined into one semester. TA... Cheng Q-something. Do you know most of them?

Anyway, good leg day...

Squats were nice, and managed to enlist a guy to help andrea strip the weight off my leg press... I was psyched, I'm starting to love that.

Squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 5, 405 x 7

Good. First three sets were at least parallel, 405 was maybe 1.5-2" off. Wide stance. I'm starting to get a little more flexibility there.

Paused squats:

315 x 7

About a three second pause at parallel (or slightly below). These were fookin brutal.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 520 x 4 (!)

Figured I'd use the weight I'm going to be trying to deadlift next thursday. Lower back very tired already so I didn't push it.

Leg press:

20 plates x 3, 18 plates x 4, 16 plates x 4, 14 plates x 5, 12 plates x 5, 10 plates x 4, 8 plates x 3

Couldn't do anymore. There was no pause in between sets. I did the reps, said "drop", and the plates were taken off while my legs were fully extended (but not locked... still under muscular control). I could have done a good deal more at 20, but wanted to save some energy. It paid off... this gigantic drop set took about 2 minutes to complete, and I really couldn't stand up for a few minutes afterwards.

Calf raises on leg press sled:

20 plates x 10, 20 plates x 10

Finished off with machine calf raises, 2 second pause at the bottom, two sets of 14.

Diet- Average. Was at work yesterday.

Sleep- 8 hours.

That's about it. I can barely walk. lol.

Just some girl
09-22-2002, 01:41 PM
Leg press:
... this gigantic drop set took about 2 minutes to complete, and I really couldn't stand up for a few minutes afterwards.

or speak coherently, either. ;)

These are seriously impressive...and that doesn't even really cover it.

Your workout looked really intense today. As always, it is amazing being in the gym at the same time as you. :)

Craig James
09-22-2002, 01:43 PM
Hey, B,

I justed want to say that I love this leg routine you just did! Once I get my own legs up to speed, I will definately give that leg press giant set a try.

Pup
09-22-2002, 02:52 PM
Holy sh!t B...i don't know what impresses me more...the drop set or the 520lb sldl...:bow:

ElPietro
09-22-2002, 03:09 PM
How is it that you SLDL more than regular deadlift? :confused:

Pup
09-22-2002, 03:12 PM
if his pull off the bottom is weak...then its possible :)

ElPietro
09-22-2002, 03:18 PM
How so? If you are weak off the bottom then you'd get more drive with your quads...doing it stiff you are just going to be ripping apart your hamstrings no?

Pup
09-22-2002, 03:21 PM
doing sldl you use a lot of low back and hamstrings...i'm not sure of the muscle mechanism that makes you strong off the bottom, but i know i can do more with sldl than my conventional or sumo deadlift and my weakness is off the bottom, so i would assume that his is also.

Alex.V
09-22-2002, 03:25 PM
Craig- holy hell, it's a killer workout. :)

ElPietro, I've described my SLDL style quite a few times. Straight-backed, and the bar does not go to the floor. I can definitely SLDL a lot more than my conventional deadlift, but at the same time I can lockout over 600 pounds (on a 12" ROM or so). My SLDL is somewhere between a conventional lockout and a stiff-legged, I'm sure you've heard of "keystones", no?

Pup
09-22-2002, 03:30 PM
just for clarification B...how close to the floor do you go...i try to take mine just above the ground...like half an inch.

Alex.V
09-22-2002, 03:33 PM
With a wide grip, the bar touches my knees. Were my grip shoulder width, I would guess to within 3-5"? I don't really pay attention, I go until my hamstrings feel the stretch.

the doc
09-22-2002, 03:41 PM
that's how i do them as well. I do see some people do them like a deadlift though, ie off the ground, but iwith straight legs and a curved back

ElPietro
09-22-2002, 04:09 PM
Ah, I keep forgetting the ROM. I guess with SLDL if it's not off the ground it's difficult for me to judge. When I did SLDLs they were off the ground, so I'd never be able to come close to the poundage I'd do on conventional. Or I don't think I could anyway.

Was just curious because, to me, a SLDL puts you in a much weaker position, but I guess if you don't go to the ground then your hammies aren't fully stretched out, wich is where they are weak, and would limit the lift, or in my case, tear. :(

PowerManDL
09-23-2002, 02:43 PM
Hey Belial,

What's up bro?

I was thinking about incorporating kneel prays within my routine. But instead of facing meccah, i'll be facing your house. I was thinking round about 3-5 rep range with a long pause on the last negative. What do you think bro?

:cool::cool:

Chris Rodgers
09-23-2002, 03:12 PM
LMAO@Mons..I mean Powerman. :p

B- You just described the way I want to experiment with sldl after my meet. I have been going down to mid-shin with a rounded back, but I think I am going to go as low as I can with a straight back and reverse the movement. I tried it the other day with light weight and it really nails the hammies.

Nice liftin foo!

the doc
09-23-2002, 05:59 PM
latty,
what's up bro?

I think that's a great way to do 'em

;);)

MonStar
09-23-2002, 06:16 PM
:cool::cool:

Alex.V
09-24-2002, 10:04 AM
*smacks everybody*

lol.

Decent, although very rushed back day. Ended up running about a mile all told prior to my workout, since I forgot my belt all the way out at my car. Damn damn damn.

And I gotta make this update quick, because I have a test in 40 minutes.

RIGHT!

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 4, +160 x 1 (!)

Whee. That was hard. From a dead hang, no less. Almost didn't clear the top. Slow negative, 6 shrug-downs.

Belial rows:

185 x 8/8, 175 x 9/9, 175 x 8/6

heh. Left side tanks out much faster.

Barbell rows:

275 x 10, 315 x 8

Somebody explain why the 315 felt so strong and explosive? I sure as hell don't get it. 275 was a biatch..

Finished up with concentration curls.

Holy crap, that's probably the shortest update I've ever done. I'm going to pretend that I inserted a bunch of clever witty comments here, so as not to bore the sh*t out of anybody who may happen to read it.

Diet- Completely f*cked to all hell. I hate work.

Sleep- 6 hours.

Other- I hate tests. I hate the university. I hate... well, almost everything. okay, maybe not. But right now I do.

PowerManDL
09-24-2002, 10:06 AM
Pretend witty comments just aren't the same.

Just some girl
09-24-2002, 10:23 AM
Don't lose hope! There is still always the option of taking Dean Sue hostage and breaking off lots of gate arms. *laughs in an extremely evil way*

...or something like that.

good luck on your test!!! :D:D