PDA

View Full Version : HEY, why not.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

BennettBoy
09-24-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Belial
[B
Diet- Completely f*cked to all hell. I hate work.

[/B]

Hey, just eat all the protein bars in the store while at work:p

ElPietro
09-24-2002, 11:30 AM
Couldn't you just get a note from one of the local meatheads saying you were stuck under the bar? That should be a valid excuse for missing a test.

What are belial rows? :confused: tuttut ;)

Alex.V
09-24-2002, 12:21 PM
That test is my bitch.

Craig, I DO! But... you know, I get real hungry, and before I know it, there go five bars, and it feels like somebody poured motor oil in my stomach. Gah.

lp- Meatheads are illiterate. Don't you know that?

And, I mean, I dunno what Belial rows are. Ask the guy who named 'em. :D

ElPietro
09-24-2002, 01:28 PM
Pfft! I named them...I just wasn't fool enough to utter them here! :D

I remember chatting with you once on olympic dumbell handles. I asked a question in my home gym thread in training. I'm not sure if you were only showing me the link that time or if you've actually used them. If you've used them go answer my question regarding weights and collars, and also, if you know how much weight in 10s you could fit on one. Thanks. :)

the doc
09-24-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Just some girl
Don't lose hope! There is still always the option of taking Dean Sue hostage and breaking off lots of gate arms. *laughs in an extremely evil way*

...or something like that.

good luck on your test!!! :D:D

lmao!

Alex.V
09-26-2002, 10:24 AM
LP- I'm 95% sure the sleeves on those oly DB handles are the same size as the ones on an EZ curl bar... in other words, 4 25's or I'm not sure how many 10's. Good alternative, if you ask me. But I'm still partial to me rows (and the handles are DAMN expensive to get shipped. lol.

Damn good workout this morning... Deadlifts are feeling strong as hell lately... I attribute a lot of this to my lower back strength. It keeps going up and up...

Sticking with what I've done the last few weeks... working up quickly to a near-max double, then dropping down and repping out at speed.

Deadlifts (chalk only):

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 3, 405 x 3, 525 x 2, 405 x 14 (!)

My grip when I pulled 525 up the first time wasn't perfect, so when I dropped down I actually had to let go of the bar and re-set. It actually worked out better... there was less momentum coming up, but there wasn't a doubt I'd get the second rep. Very nice, and perfect lockout on each. 405.... well... The first 3 were kinda tough, but then I just got in a zone. Not that the weight felt like nothing, but.... it felt like nothing. I was no more fatigued during these than if I were doing squat thrusts. Down up down up... the whole set couldn't have taken more than 40 seconds, if even that. Very powerful, but my back started rounding on rep 14, so I stopped. Might have had another few reps in me.

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 10, 45 x 10

Just keeping these light and strict.

Bent-over lateral raises:

35 x 8, 40 x 8

Same deal. Light, strict, slow.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 10, 110x2 x 10

Pause at the top. I was really too wiped to do much else. My chest day this week may have some added shoulder work to compensate.

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 6 hours.

Other- did all right on my chem test, better than I thought I would. I'm psyched about that, really, because for once I'm not digging out of a hole at the beginning of the semester. Woo. And I was supposed to play tennis this afternoon, but... it's rainy and miserable. Just as well. I can barely move.

:D

thas' it.

PowerManDL
09-26-2002, 10:39 AM
B-- that approach of heavy work followed by a speed-oriented rep-out is one I've had recommended to me before, though I never got around to trying it. I'm deading this afternoon and I think I'll give it a shot.

_-_v_-_
09-26-2002, 10:41 AM
45 x 10, 45 x 10, 45 x 10
Just keeping these light and strict.

I hate you :)

Alex.V
09-26-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
B-- that approach of heavy work followed by a speed-oriented rep-out is one I've had recommended to me before, though I never got around to trying it. I'm deading this afternoon and I think I'll give it a shot.

It's excellent, DL. I'm loving it. I don't want to drop heavy work out completely and have a DE day (since I'm not 100% convinced I'd like to use a PL-split, or change up what I'm doing too much), but when I was stopping at the heavy set I noticed my explosiveness off the floor suffered, and I do think that's a major reason my deadlift stagnated for a few months. The speed work at the end, even if I'm fatigued while I'm doing it, does wonders for the lift, both in terms of improving my off-the-floor, and for improving confidence.

V- I hate me too. It's a vicious cycle.

Saturday Fever
09-26-2002, 11:06 AM
I've recommended people in your situation do speed work on their "warmups", what do you think of that idea?

Alex.V
09-26-2002, 11:14 AM
Not a bad idea.... but I feel like it would tire me out. I don't have great endurance with deadlifts, it's very easy for me to tank out and miss my max if my warmups are any more taxing than the ones I did today.

(What situation are you referring to, btw? :))

Saturday Fever
09-26-2002, 11:17 AM
I don't want to drop heavy work out completely and have a DE day (since I'm not 100% convinced I'd like to use a PL-split, or change up what I'm doing too much),

That's all I was referring to. :)

Alex.V
09-26-2002, 11:18 AM
Gotcha. :) Sorry, a little slow today. lol.

Just some girl
09-26-2002, 12:12 PM
i wanted to comment before, but i was about to be late to my class....

your deadlifts were damn impressive today. 525 x 2 looked relatively easy for you. second rep really looked easier than the first. 'twas very impressive. :) way to go!

that's a good meathead. arent you? arent you a good good meathead? *rubs meathead's belly and holds out a snausage treat* :D :D
(please dont hit me. :) )

Blood&Iron
09-26-2002, 02:52 PM

Deadlifts (chalk only):

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 3, 405 x 3, 525 x 2, 405 x 14 (!)

You make me sick.

MonStar
09-26-2002, 04:50 PM
Deadlifts (chalk only):

525 x 2, 405 x 14 (!)

Insane weights B, jeez. :eek::eek:

Keep it up though man your lower back is getting stronger and stronger and stronger.

Wow thats interesting. I am doing this but not really following that exactly. I am doing my first set to failure in the 2-4 rep range, going heavy as f*ck and then my second set in the 6-10 rep range going more dynamic. This kind of rep range was chris mason's recommendation. So far it has been working well. Combining progressive overload with speed work seems to be an excellent idea.

MonStar
09-27-2002, 09:08 AM
I was wondering B why dont you give dips a shot? I know that you chest strength is up from 6 months ago. I would be neat to see how heavy you could go on them. I bet you could get +180 for a few reps now. Or do they agitate your shoulder?

Jane
09-28-2002, 09:22 AM
Dips! Dips! Dips!
:strong:

Reinier
09-28-2002, 10:27 AM
i think he mentioned not dipping because of his shoulder some time ago

Alex.V
09-28-2002, 12:34 PM
Yep, they bother my shoulder, and I don't know where I'd put them. I'm not going to BB press and dip in the same workout, honestly. It's too much for me.

Anyway, I asked one of Andrea's friends to come help me out in the gym today for two reasons... One, it's pretty empty on saturday mornings, so it's hard to find a spot, and two, women tend to be MUCH better spotters than guys, because they don't really feel the need to prove how badass they are by grabbing the bar and trying to lift it on their own.

But she was late (bad girl), so I asked these three guys to help me out. The skinniest one came over, so I said oh sh*t.

Motherf*cker ruined my heavy set.

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 275 x 3, 315 x 2, 255 x 10 (!), 225 x 8

I told the guy exactly what I was going to do on 315, one regular and one paused. So I do the regular one, then on the pause, I'm counting, I'm on two, and the f*cker GRABS the bar and starts pulling up. I think "CRAP", and say "Another!". So I bring it down, he keeps holding on. I say "let go". Count to three, start to drive, it slows down, so he grabs it again and pulls it up. F*ck! f*ck f*ck f*ck motherf*cker f*ckity f*ck.

I was a wee bit irritated. So I took it out on the 255. These felt slow, so I slammed out 225 very quickly. Excellent speed. btw, the 135 set couldn't have taken more than 8-9 seconds. Anyway, andrea's friend came after the heavy set and helped me out afterwards. She did a great job.

f*cker.

DB flyes:

90 x 8, 85 x 8

Good.

Seated skullcrushers:

160 x 8, 160 x 8

Strong, but a little uninspired today. The fucktards in front of me kept dropping their dumbbells so I was telling claire (andrea's friend) that you should never use weights that are too heavy for you. I said it a couple of times. Loud. I woulda gone over and been the nazi, but I was so mad I was shaking. It would have been bad.

Tricep pushdowns:

Stack +45 x 11 (!), Stack +45 x 8

Very good on these. Second set, I think I failed at 7. The last rep for some reason came out anyway. Very slowly.

Finished off with some front raises and hanging leg raises.

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 8 hours, I think.

Other notes: I'm skipping work this weekend.. I really need the time off, I'm going to sit down, get some studying done, maybe go out tonight, I don't know. But it's me time. I really don't feel like sitting behind a desk for 6 hours tonight.

That's it. Peace foos.

Jane
09-28-2002, 12:46 PM

Other notes: I'm skipping work this weekend.. I really need the time off, I'm going to sit down, get some studying done, maybe go out tonight, I don't know. But it's me time. I really don't feel like sitting behind a desk for 6 hours tonight.

:bang: :(

ectx
09-28-2002, 01:54 PM

First "me rows" now "me time", why's it always "me, me, me" with you?
j/k :D Have fun chilling tonight. I'm still stuck behind a desk, but only for another couple of hours....oh the sweet smell of freedom.
Okay, now that I've sufficiently spammed your journal...

Do the dumbell flys bug your shoulder? My left shoulder's been bugging me and I'm worried about how it'll affect my chest day.

Accipiter
09-28-2002, 03:39 PM
hey B, how slow do you do flyes? I find if I do them too slow they ream my rotators...

Mystic Eric
09-28-2002, 04:36 PM
Yep, they bother my shoulder, and I don't know where I'd put them. I'm not going to BB press and dip in the same workout, honestly. It's too much for me.

Anyway, I asked one of Andrea's friends to come help me out in the gym today for two reasons... One, it's pretty empty on saturday mornings, so it's hard to find a spot, and two, women tend to be MUCH better spotters than guys, because they don't really feel the need to prove how badass they are by grabbing the bar and trying to lift it on their own.

But she was late (bad girl), so I asked these three guys to help me out. The skinniest one came over, so I said oh sh*t.

Motherf*cker ruined my heavy set.

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 275 x 3, 315 x 2, 255 x 10 (!), 225 x 8

I told the guy exactly what I was going to do on 315, one regular and one paused. So I do the regular one, then on the pause, I'm counting, I'm on two, and the f*cker GRABS the bar and starts pulling up. I think "CRAP", and say "Another!". So I bring it down, he keeps holding on. I say "let go". Count to three, start to drive, it slows down, so he grabs it again and pulls it up. F*ck! f*ck f*ck f*ck motherf*cker f*ckity f*ck.

I was a wee bit irritated. So I took it out on the 255. These felt slow, so I slammed out 225 very quickly. Excellent speed. btw, the 135 set couldn't have taken more than 8-9 seconds. Anyway, andrea's friend came after the heavy set and helped me out afterwards. She did a great job.

f*cker.

DB flyes:

90 x 8, 85 x 8

Good.

Seated skullcrushers:

160 x 8, 160 x 8

Strong, but a little uninspired today. The fucktards in front of me kept dropping their dumbbells so I was telling claire (andrea's friend) that you should never use weights that are too heavy for you. I said it a couple of times. Loud. I woulda gone over and been the nazi, but I was so mad I was shaking. It would have been bad.

Tricep pushdowns:

Stack +45 x 11 (!), Stack +45 x 8

Very good on these. Second set, I think I failed at 7. The last rep for some reason came out anyway. Very slowly.

Finished off with some front raises and hanging leg raises.

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 8 hours, I think.

That's it. Peace foos.

The real question is who is better looking? Claire or Andrea? :D

Just some girl
09-28-2002, 07:01 PM
Watch it, Canada boy.... tuttut

_-_v_-_
09-28-2002, 07:21 PM
Watch it, Canada boy....

I wouldn't worry. I mean, it's just a hypothetical question.

After all, it is eric we're talking about here...

Alex.V
09-28-2002, 09:01 PM
EC- The world DOES revolve around me, you know.

On the flyes.... they don't bother my shoulders unless I completely extend my arms at the bottom. The problem comes when I stretch the bicep tendon under heavy load, and that tends to happen with these unless I'm careful. EC, where's it hurting?

And accipiter, I've never had rotator problems, but I would venture to say that, with proper form, the lift shouldn't strain the rotators unless you begin to fatigue and your elbow begins to, well, rotate. Maybe try focusing on keeping your palms facing the ceiling, and elbows straight down the the floor? That might prevent some of the torsion associated with a more "elbows up" technique.

Eric, stop trying to stir up trouble.

Which one am I dating, man? :D

Mystic Eric
09-28-2002, 11:49 PM

Eric, stop trying to stir up trouble.

Which one am I dating, man? :D

Oh but B, maybe just by chance you happened to fall for the wrong one? Perhaps you realized that you really wanted Claire but you went for Andrea before you found out you had these feelings for Claire? :D

And the fact that you've eluded to my question of who's better looking also shows that you have something to hide... don't you? DON'T YOU?!??

MonStar
09-29-2002, 04:19 AM
ME:

Stop crowding up his journal with useless bullsh*t. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyways B nice chest and triceps session today man. Hehe I cant stand spotters who dont have a clue man the man me so friggin' man. I was doing BTN presses with 175 and I told him I would get 3-4 reps. After the 2nd rep I am coming down and he grabs the bar I was like WHAT THE F*CK. Sh*t makes you go nuts doesnt it?

Is your goal on bench still 405 for December? Good luck if it is.

Reinier
09-29-2002, 07:00 AM
how do you do me rows anyway?

ectx
09-29-2002, 10:32 AM

On the flyes.... they don't bother my shoulders unless I completely extend my arms at the bottom. The problem comes when I stretch the bicep tendon under heavy load, and that tends to happen with these unless I'm careful. EC, where's it hurting?

First Heliocentric theory, now Belialcentric theory?

Damn that anatomy book! Where the hell is it? Okay, my shoulder's acting up right around where the anterior and lateral deltoid meet on the top, right at about the insertion point or a little below. Does that make sense? Thanks.

Alex.V
09-29-2002, 01:32 PM
Monstar- yeah, it's frustrating as hell. You can be absolutely clear about what you want, and do your best to make yourself understood, and some people don't get it! When spotting, less is more god damn it. lol.

Yeah, goal is still 405. I doubt I'll get it, but it's still a nice one to look for. :)

Reinier, those are the dumbbell rows done with an EZ curl bar. ElPietro named them Belial rows because he thinks I'm really cool.

EC- sounds like it actually might be something similar to my problem. Does it bother you during presses, or during lateral raises?

Anyway, pretty good leg day, all things considered.

Was feeling a little small when I looked at myself in the mirror when I first got there, so I kicked my ass extra hard.

Squats:

135 x 6 (ATF), 225 x 6 (ATF), 315 x 6 (2" below parallel), 405 x 6 (Wide stance, not quite legal)

Working on my flexibility here. My wide stance squats are deeper than they've ever been.

Paused squats:

315 x 7

Didn't need any help on these. Excellent set, 3-4 second pauses on every rep, with an explosive concentric.

SLDLs:

405 x 8 (plates to floor), 495 x 6 (bar below knees with wide grip)

Powerful, but felt some abdominal strain here. Hmm.

Leg press, aka meathead drop sets!:

22 plates x 1, 20 plates x 3, 18 plates x 4, 16 plates x 5, 14 plates x 6, 12 plates x 7, 10 plates x 8, 8 plates x 3.5

No pause between sets, just long enough for the two spotters to take off the plates. Ouch. Very good set, though. Almost all reps slammed the safety stops, so depth was excellent.

The guy on the left side who was taking off the plates kinda shook his head and said "Damn. What are you training for, man? You an athlete? Football? Wait, I bet you can dunk." I kinda drooled and jabbered a reply. It was cool. Minus the drooling.

Calf raises on leg press sled:

22 plates x 12, 22 plates x 12

Whee.

Leg extensions:

Full stack (350?) x 20.

I felt a wicked pump, yo. According to the Weider "flushing" principle, blood is muscle food! I fed my quads! WOO! I'm gonna be hyooge.

:eek: tuttut :help:

Sorry.

Diet- shweeeet. Wait, no. Too low in calories.

Sleep- don't remember, wasn't awake to measure. 8 hours?

Other- I think the blood is still pooled in my legs, because I'm delirious.

BCC
09-29-2002, 02:04 PM
You're getting pretty good at making up these workouts. Can you make me up one? I can't believe everyone believes them too, you're the master B :)

Alex.V
09-29-2002, 02:08 PM
lmao. Dickhead. :p

Mystic Eric
09-29-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by MonStar
ME:

Stop crowding up his journal with useless bullsh*t. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry man. I'm looking at ways of being more useful. Perhaps I could do some extreme brown nosing in journals or change up my routine every week while pming request for advice to 50 people.

:cool::cool:

Just some girl
09-29-2002, 03:52 PM
lol. you are funny eric (because of the most recent post). But im afraid im still going to have to hurt you (because of your previous two posts).

B...awesome work outs yesterday and today. I'm sorry I wasn't able to be there for them. :( Stupid spotters who don't know how to do it right. Hee hee. I wish I could have heard that guy say that after your drop set. and then watch you mumble and be unable to figure out how to speak at that point in time. ;)

ectx
09-29-2002, 10:28 PM
B, I don't do lateral raises although it did bug me some doing OH DB presses. Nothing to holler about, but just enough to have to drop some weight. It did bug the hell out of me after doing dips. But I'm a jackass, so I still cranked out as many as I could (which isn't much anyway).

Oh yeah...almost forgot...your leg work outs seemed to have gotten increasingly evil. Any particular reason...or just sh*ts and giggles?

BennettBoy
09-30-2002, 06:57 AM

I felt a wicked pump, yo. According to the Weider "flushing" principle, blood is muscle food! I fed my quads! WOO! I'm gonna be hyooge.

:eek: tuttut :help:

Other- I think the blood is still pooled in my legs, because I'm delirious.

Oh come on. Just go ahead and admit you want to be a bodybuilder rather than a powerlifter:D

Alex.V
10-01-2002, 10:08 AM
EC, it could be anything, but it does sound awfully similar to my problem. Do you do any rear delt work? And my leg workouts have gotten evil since my squats are pissing me off, so I need to find another way to kill myself on sunday afternoons. lol.

Craig- I dunno, the oil and posing trunks thing is still a little offputting. ;)

Andrea- it's all good now. :D

Mediocre back day, though. These always feel rushed, and today the added problem of not enough digestion time after breakfast was thrown in. An hour between wakeup and workout. So I was a little depleted, yet on a full stomach the whole time.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 4, +165 x .75, bw x 16

Just missed the 165. Wasn't focused, and as I came up the plates came out from between my legs and caused me to swing. Upward motion halted abruptly when my forehead was level with the bar. Pushed myself up a little with my foot and did a slow negative. I was pissed off, so I went almost straight into the bw set.

Belial (:)) rows:

185 x 8/8, 185 x 7/6

Felt like crap on these today... again, still a little too depleted to focus properly. Didn't see the BB rows happening, so I went to more bodybuilder crap.

Bi-angular row drop sets: (bout a six second pause)

10 plates x 1, 8 plates x 6, 6 plates x 10, 4 plates x 10, 2 plates x 15? 16?

Anyway, these were nice. Felt good, I think I was mad when I started them. Felt like booting, but my back and biceps were completely worn out. I think just about every set was to failure, too.

Finished off with concentration curls (45's, biceps tired) and cable curls (150, full stack)

Diet- Not too far off.

Sleep- 7 hours, give or take.

Other- I still feel like booting. Woo!

Relentless
10-01-2002, 10:13 AM
Reinier, those are the dumbbell rows done with an EZ curl bar. ElPietro named them Belial rows because he thinks I'm really cool.

Ahem.

And it wasn't because I thought you were cool. I just got tired from typing "One-Handed Bentover/Kneeling Ez-Curl Bar Rows"

Smug bastid.

Alex.V
10-01-2002, 10:14 AM
Right. I'm sorry, you named them out of convenience. LP still thinks I'm really cool, though. Whether he wants to admit it or not.

Relentless
10-01-2002, 10:17 AM
well, there's no accounting for taste. :p

ectx
10-01-2002, 01:54 PM
EC, it could be anything, but it does sound awfully similar to my problem. Do you do any rear delt work? And my leg workouts have gotten evil since my squats are pissing me off, so I need to find another way to kill myself on sunday afternoons. lol.

So you are making it evil for sh*ts and giggles. :D

I don't do any rear delt work. I guess they get hit when I do bent over db rows. Anyhow, did the db flyes yesterday. I lowered the weight a little bit and it didn't seem to bother me much. Still bugged me a little, but nothing bad. I think I'm just going to be a bit more careful with shoulders, and if it continues I'll visit the university quack shop, or better yet, a real doctor. Thanks man.

ElPietro
10-01-2002, 02:29 PM
:swear:

MonStar
10-01-2002, 09:35 PM
Weighted pull-ups:

+165 x .75

Awesome B. :thumbup::thumbup:

Keep up the hard work man, strength is continually going up and up and up. I wonder if youll hit a double BW chin by mid-2003?

IceRgrrl
10-03-2002, 05:38 AM

It does...if you get to pick the coordinate system ;)

Just thought you'd enjoy that since you've been having so much fun in math lab :p

Alex.V
10-03-2002, 10:30 AM
IceR, you're such a delightful nerd sometimes. ;)

EC- try some bent-over laterals. Tell me if you feel any pain in those.

Monstar- who knows. :) Like I said, a true one-handed pullup is my first goal.

Very good deadlift workout.

Came into the gym after not getting much sleep, but I actually felt good and ready to lift. There was the moment of doubt as I started unloading a bar and the plates felt heavy, but I drank a bunch of water, took a breather, and started.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 3, 530 x 2, 425 x 14 (!)

Missed the lockout on rep 15 for 425. 530 was a little slow on the first rep, and the bar hit one of the plates I used to stop it rolling on the way down, so it shifted and was a little uneven on the second rep. But next week will be 535 for a double, I hope, and 425 for 15 FAST reps. Speed is still good on the light set, even if a little slower than with 405. But after a few reps, true to form, the weight felt easy.

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 10, 50 x 8

Nothing thrilling here, but I did do them more slowly than usual.

35 x 8, 40 x 8

Again, more slowly than usual.

Finished off with DB shrugs (with the 110's) and very slow calf raises on the machine (pause at the bottom). So, overall, pretty damn good.

Diet- pretty good.

Sleep- 5.5-6 hours. Oops.

Other- What the hell happened to fall?

ericg
10-03-2002, 10:54 AM
You are crazy strong!

Oh ya....BO laterals helped my shoulder imbalance a lot. Thanks for the advice. (Think we talked on MSN a WHILE back about it!! )

Just some girl
10-03-2002, 12:12 PM
someone stole fall! :cry:

they'll pay for this, those evil bastards!!!

good deadliftin, foo'!

Chris Rodgers
10-03-2002, 03:22 PM
Nice pulling foo!!

MonStar
10-03-2002, 09:07 PM
Deadlifts:

530 x 2, 425 x 14 (!)

I can tell that youre having some excellent success with the heavy set followed by the dynamic set in the higher rep range. Seems like a good idea. Keep up the hard work B!

Alex.V
10-05-2002, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys. :) Next week should be interesting, my lower back was FRIED the last few days. Either I'll recover and it'll be stronger than ever, or it won't quite make it and the deads will suffer.

Decent chest day. Started out somewhat lackluster, but in some ways mixing it up resulted in a few improvements. I find this day works the best if I think of it as two separate workouts, a bench practice day, then a chest/triceps workout.

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 3, 315 x 1 regular, x 1 w/4 second pause, 255 x 9

No improvement, really, except strength on 315 felt good. I need to decide if I'm going to try to work up in reps, or attempt, say 320/325 for the same 1reg/1pause scheme.

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 9/10?, 175 x 7 (!)

Felt very good. Strong, and form was decent. First set especially felt excellent. Note doing these before the flies to let my triceps recover for the pushdowns.

DB flyes:

85 x 9, 85 x 9

I think that was the number of reps. Again, form very good, and reps were at a good speed.

Tricep pushdowns:

Stack + 45 plate + 10lb DB x 9, followed by drop set:

Stack + 45 plate + 20lb DB x 6 (!)
Stack + 45 plate x 5
Stack x 3
175 x 6
150 x 5
100 x 5

Ow.

DB front raises: (done alternating)

45 x 10, 50 x 8

I feel so silly doing drop sets. But I like 'em anyway.

Diet- Not too awful.

Sleep- 7.5 hours

Other- Saw a guy in the gym today who I used to think was MASSIVE. Haven't seen him in maybe 8-9 months. Anyway, his arms are still very good, but other than that, he can't outweigh me by more than 10 pounds, and he's at least an inch taller. Plus, I outlift him.

Interesting to see.

And now, shower and work!

Just some girl
10-05-2002, 12:31 PM
Next Saturday I WILL be there for your bench workout. Granted we'll be in a strange gym, but I will be there. I really wanted to and tried to today, but I am sorry that I wasn't there for it.

ROAR!

oh, and your seated skulls looks very very good today. speed, depth, everything was really perfect. Nice work! :) And that set up you had going for the tricep pushdowns. lol. that was hilarious. mebbe in the gym in Cali you wont have to make such inventive and interesting set ups to get up to the weight you need. ;)

Silverback
10-05-2002, 12:44 PM
Good workout B, the skull-crushers are ace :thumbup:

I wish i had a g/f who was into Weightlifting, that would be pretty sweet.

ectx
10-05-2002, 01:34 PM
LOL @ the pushdown setup. Did you get any funny looks? Damn. I'd comment on the skulls and stuff, but hey, nothing surprises me anymore. Way to go man. Tried the bent over lateral raises. Bugged the shoulder a little, but nothing major. I think it was more of a "sh*t that was different" kind of thing.

Yesterday at the gym this guy kept on dropping the dumb bells. I could see why you get pissed off. Wish you could have been there to tell him off. Hell, I almost did.

MonStar
10-05-2002, 10:20 PM
Seated skullcrushers:

175 x 7 (!)

Awesome strength here B. Really looking good man seriously. Lotta weight, and a lotta reps. Good triceps strength. When are you getting some pics up B? ;);)

Alex.V
10-06-2002, 12:30 PM
Monstar- hehe. I don't know... Andrea might help me out with those.

Ron, it IS sweet. Female meatheads rock! (Just kidding, andrea)

ec- Always get funny looks. :)

I'd stick to those bent-over laterals for a while, keep em slow and strict. That just might help, especially if you have an anterior/posterior delt imbalance like most folks do.

Brutal leg workout today. Started out easy enough.

Squats:

135 x 10 (ATF), 225 x 10 (ATF), 315 x 6, 405 x 7

Nothing spectacular here. Easing lower and lower on the 405 with every rep. Feeling a stretch, and I'm already not feeling quite so weak at the bottom.

Paused squats (3 second count)

315 x 7

Stronger than ever. May have had another rep in me.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 405 x 11

Didn't go any higher in these. I fried my lower back thursday, and it was sore through yesterday morning, so I saw no need to go all out here. Still, ROM was excellent.

Leg press strip set:

20 plates + 20 lbs x 3
18 plates + 20 lbs x 6
16 plates + 20 lbs x 6
14 plates + 20 lbs x 6
12 plates + 20 lbs x 6
10 plates + 20 lbs x 5
8 plates + 20 lbs x 6
6 plates + 20 lbs x 2

That was it. Couldn't stand, quads were actually so engorged with blood that I couldn't walk properly for the next half hour. I had no idea it was so many reps until now, actually. Anyway, almsot every set except the first felt like it was to failure. Haven't felt physically ill after a workout in as long as I can remember. Again, no pause between, just long enough for Andrea and the other spotter to remove the outermost plates as I held it steady.

Calf raises on sled:

20 plates + 20 lbs x 12 x 2

Couldn't really keep the lockout here, my quads were too burnt.

Diet - a bit off. Damn alcohol, damn work.

Sleep- 7-8 hours.

Other- Ow. *retch*

Just some girl
10-06-2002, 12:49 PM
*sputters trying to think of a come back*

i....i....im not a meathead!! (well, maybe just a little one...)

Big Ron...I was not into weightlifting when I met him. You too could make yourself a little convert to the dark side perhaps. You just have to learn how to be a persistent pain in the tush until you hear the response you want ("ok, fine! I'll go with you to the weight room"). ;) second best thing i ever did.

Monstar, it's probably gonna be a while. The man seems to be a tad camera shy. such a shame too, with such a cute little punam. ;) :D

Silverback
10-06-2002, 12:55 PM
lol

it's nice :)

ectx
10-06-2002, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the advice on the shoulders. Will do.
*looks at drop sets on leg press, shakes head*
Dude, you're still scary.

Hey Girly, maybe you should change your screen name to Just some Meathead. hehe.

Alex.V
10-08-2002, 10:05 AM
Scary, and my legs hurt.

Lightning fast kung fu update, since I'm late to class.

Again, not enough time between breakfast and workout. Very dehydrated going in, so it was a little lackluster. bright point: Andrea actually got me a pair of plate loading dumbbells. Does this girl understand me or what? Random present. No occasion. Just her being damn sweet. So I brought one today. Of course, the collars at the gym are shite, so I'm going to have to buy some, but it was very different. Went light since I couldn't load them up all the way. that should change soon, though. :)

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 6, +135 x 1 (this was a single rep with a 6 second pause at the top, and an 18 second pause halfway down)

DB rows:

150 x 8, 160 x 8

It was nice doing these with a smaller bar. :) Much easier and more controlled. Can't wait to load it up. :D

BB rows:

275 x 10, 325 x 7 (!)

Whoa, heavy. Good feeling, though. Grip width is something I may need to work on, since I haven't been doing these as consistently.

Finished up with a bunch of bodyweight pull-ups, some curls, and a few hanging leg raises. Too bad the biceps workout was rushed, they need some help. Ah well.

Diet- f*cked to hell. :) (work)

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

That's it! Gotta run.

ericg
10-08-2002, 10:10 AM
Nice work man, 18 second pause is crazy shiat!

chris mason
10-08-2002, 10:18 AM
I have a question B, why do you always think you are dehydrated? It seems like you say that you are dehydrated before every workout.

Accipiter
10-08-2002, 12:05 PM

Tricep pushdowns:

Stack + 45 plate + 10lb DB x 9, followed by drop set:

Stack + 45 plate + 20lb DB x 6 (!)
Stack + 45 plate x 5
Stack x 3
175 x 6
150 x 5
100 x 5

how do you attach a plate to the db stack?

Alex.V
10-08-2002, 12:35 PM
Chris, I often workout very early in the day, and the problem is often that I don't have time to properly hydrate in the morning. I'll down two large glasses of water, and feel pretty much full between the water and breakfast, but by the time I get to the gym my mouth is parched. I should really buy a few bottles of water and sip those throughout my first class until I get to the weight room, but it just doesn't seem to occur to me. Today, though, I woke up about an hour before the workout, so there wasn't much time for the water to make it through my system or for the food to digest. I felt fine by the end, but at this point I'm keenly aware of hydration levels.

Accipiter, I use a pin from another stack, stick the 45 on the front, then sling a dumbbell over the top.

Saturday Fever
10-08-2002, 12:43 PM
When are you going to start lifting some real weight? :)

Ok, so my sarcasm is really bad today, and I'm just jealous I can't lift that with 5 gallons of water in my body. :)

Alex.V
10-10-2002, 10:27 AM
Once I stop being such a wuss. :)

Good workout, again. I think I'm coming close to a plateau in the deadlift again. Hard to say, though. My left hamstring was a little tight/sore coming into the workout from some sprinting I did on monday (My legs were sore, form sucked, and I think I may have strained it a bit), so my drive off the ground was nowhere near what it usually is.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 3, 535 x 2 (!), 425 x 12.5 + 2

535 was a little slow coming up the first time, and almost didn't make lockout on the second, but I pulled through and gave it an exaggerated lock. That took some serious effort. I'm pissed at the second set. I miscounted, I thought I had 14 (and missed 15), but Andrea told me 12 when I put the bar down. I was mad, so I walked back to the bar (err...staggered), and pulled two more. Actaully, this was much harder than doing 14 straight (in terms of fatigue). So I might work this in somehow. It's a fresh pull, which is always brutal.

Lateral raises:

45 x 8, 45 x 8, 45 x 8

Better ROM on these than ever. Like the way my shoulders look during them.

35 x 10, 40 x 10

Ooh. Delts all pumped. SHUT UP.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 8, 110x2 x 12

Yep. I was feeling too tired to do anything else.

Diet- Not bad. Calories a little to compressed into late in the day.

Sleep- 7 hours, maybe.

That's about it. Feeling tired, but... hey, saw a bunch of guys trying some deadlifts after I got done with them. Either I'm flattering myself, or I somehow convinced them to give em a shot. Probably the former, but I can dream, eh.

Just some girl
10-10-2002, 10:32 AM
Ill bet they were trying them because of you. While it is more of a powerlifting thing, you do look like a body builder, you know. So...yea. I'd put my money on that. ;)

BennettBoy
10-10-2002, 11:02 AM
Ill bet they were trying them because of you. While it is more of a powerlifting thing, you do look like a body builder, you know. So...yea. I'd put my money on that. ;)

LOL just some girl....you are going to have to sneak WBB some pictures of Belial. Looks like it is our only hope to see what this boy has accomplished:D

Alex, if things hold up the way I'm hoping...I'm still planning to make the trip to Durham for the Clemson football game. Hahaha....I'll bring my digital camera and get some pictures to post:p Just j/king......don't want to scare ya away from meetin' up with me before the game. Got to have a couple beers.

Reinier
10-10-2002, 11:28 AM
535 x 2 is very impressive....

Just some girl
10-10-2002, 12:15 PM
Bennett, I couldn't do that. I'd be in the dog house then, and it's just started to get cold out...sorry. :(
However, I'm not sure what he's waiting for in terms of posting them. He had never looked leaner (i think his bf % must have dropped some), he has never looked bigger, and he looks amazing. But hey, he's a shy young thing. ;) Maybe if you promise to buy him a case of diet coke, you might be able to tempt him... :p

Paul Stagg
10-10-2002, 12:21 PM
I might be able to take care of the Diet Coke. :)

Alex.V
10-10-2002, 12:38 PM
I am NOT that easy!

I....

Is it cold?

Paul Stagg
10-10-2002, 12:46 PM
Probably not by the time it gets to you, no.

But I could throw in some Vanilla Coke, too. Powerade? Fanta? Minute Maid Light Lemonade (awesome stuff, BTW)?

Jane
10-10-2002, 12:50 PM
No, no straight Diet Coke is the way to go.

And lol@BennettBoy. Belial is camera retarded. Hope you have more luck than I did!

Mystic Eric
10-10-2002, 12:53 PM
Camera retarded? Ha! Here's the big secret: I've seen pics of belial getting out of the shower!!!! :eek:

Just some girl
10-10-2002, 12:56 PM
*shakes eric to wake him up from his dream*

sure ya have...sure ya have.

ectx
10-10-2002, 01:23 PM
I heard B was a 4 foot bald midget, and that's why there are no pictures. Pretty strong though, but nevertheless a midget.
hehe.

Diet Dr. Pepper, now there's a drink. :D

Mystic Eric
10-10-2002, 01:53 PM
*shakes eric to wake him up from his dream*

sure ya have...sure ya have.

No really, I have!

Oh, the dream actually had you in it too!! :eek: :drooling:

Santiago
10-11-2002, 05:55 PM
It's nice to see a fellow spaniard have success with deadlifts :)

Alex.V
10-12-2002, 11:46 AM
santiago- hell yes. :D

Interesting workout. Might make me reconsider the whole pics thing. I'm in LA, visiting Andrea's brother. Worked out at Venice Gold's.... lol. that was interesting. I was actually expecting to walk in and be completely put in my place. I don't think I was. Some big guys, no doubt, including that Tito Raymond guy (who looked less than impressive), and some ridiculously oversized pro (not sure which one, but I recognized the face and build. Unbelievable back size, arms looked like entities unto themselves). other than that, though, I do feel like I was probably one of the bigger guys, if not in the top 10%, then at least the top quarter. Considering how many people were there, that's kinda cool. Don't get me wrong, it was inspiring to see that many people in good shape moving weights around, and looking up and seeing pictures of pros over the years staring down at you. But I'm figuring it's become so touristy.. If lifting were my life, I'd probably go somewhere where I could find a free bench.

Decent workout, with unfamiliar equipment, though. Grabbed a pretty crappy bench, which I actually needed a liftoff on. This screwed up my heavy set, as my balance was completely off during the first rep, and I almost lost control. Not used to it. Damn.

BB bench:

135 x 12, 225 x 8, 275 x 3, 315 x 2 (1 paused for 5 seconds), 260 x 8

Nothing spectacular here at all. I was hoping to go up in the 315, but my balance was so shot I almost didn't make the first rep. Amazing what a lack of focus can do, as well. Hard to keep concentrated with so many distractions.

DB flyes:

80 x 10, 80 x 10, 80 x 8

These were actually very well done, i think. Good form, and my chest felt completely burnt.

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 8, 155 x 8

The EZ curl bar was oddly shaped, I couldn't get a decent grip on it so strength tanked here. I think it was actually wrist discomfort that caused me to stop.

Tricep pushdowns:

245 x 12, 245 x 12

Good burnout. Nice and strict. PS- I looked pretty good when pumped and sweaty.

SOMEBODY SHOOT ME. wannabeabodybuilder motherf*cker

lol. Right.

DB front raises to finish off. And I tore up the ab machine. that is all

Diet- shot to hell, totally. All day in airports. Over 5500 calories, ranging from shakes to nitrotech bars to whole wheat bread to triple cheeseburgers, chicken fingers, etc. etc. etc. Damn.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

That's it. Time to go see LA, I guess. :D

ectx
10-12-2002, 12:25 PM
*shoots belial*

B, I thought you were from Jersey. Haha. Cool. My mom and dad are both 2nd and first generation, respectively. Mom was born south of the border though.

Anyhow, Where in your bench do you pause and why? I'm sure you've said it before, but I'm lazy and don't want to sift through all 74 pages of your journal. Have fun in LA.

big
10-12-2002, 12:28 PM
you should post some pics.

Alex.V
10-12-2002, 03:40 PM
EC- Should be a fun vacation. :) got two more workouts at the Gold's here, too.

Dad's side... his parents were born in Cuba, but every generation previous was from Spain. Mom's side, Half Honduran (buncha blancos, though), other half German/Swiss.

Paused bench, I pause about half an inch above my chest. it's so much fun. I suggest everybody try it just for ***** and giggle.

chris mason
10-12-2002, 06:15 PM
I didn't know you were going to LA. Cool. I loved Gold's, thought it was awesome. I loved the gates which open to the fresh air. I loved the size of it. I was there in February, and it was at the time of the Ironman Pro Invitational. I think that made it more flush with pros. I remember seeing Paul Dillet, Gary Strydom, Flex Wheeler, and a couple of other pros.

Alex.V
10-14-2002, 04:29 PM
Yeah, it is a very cool gym. You have to admit, though, it's distracting as HELL! Loud, full of people, music blaring... it's almost more a place to sightsee than to work out. Saw a few guys there, though. Tom Prince was doing pulldowns next to me, some dude was doing a photo shoot (Couldn't tell who, but, again, I recognized him), Monica Brandt was doing donkey calf raises (causing the guys using the dumbbells to cease all lifting).... It was cool.

But my workout was a little odd.

Since I didn't end up going on sunday, I did legs and back together. Holy hell. Besides the high workload, the lack of focus in the gym made every lift seem ten times as hard. It was still a decent workout, but a little out of sorts for me.

SLDLs:

135 x 8, 405 x 8, 455 x 6

It was odd doing these first. My lower back was a little tired out from them, but I didn't push it too hard. Usually my legs are already fatigued when I do these, so it was different having my lower back tire out first.

Leg press:

16 plates x 8,

Strip set (me unloading one side... nauseating)
20 plates x 6
18 plates x 6
16 plates x 6
14 plates x 6
12 plates x 6

I think that's what I did. Anyway, yeah, felt quite sick, and legs were done. I gotta say, that's a nice way to finish off my legs in under twenty five minutes.

Donkey calf raises:

400 x 12, 400 x 12

Very slow. Full stack on the machine, felt so easy that I had to make sure I took a nice, long stretch at the bottom to compensate.

Lat pulldowns:

300 x 8, 260 x 6, 240 x 6, 200 x 6

These were exhausting. I forgot my pull-up belt, so I made do. I was already a little drained from the leg press, this nearly put me over the edge.

DB rows:

140 x 8

Was too tired all over to even consider picking up anything bigger. I knew I was in trouble when I first bent down to start the set and felt slightly dizzy. oops. Took a long water break. Decided not to push it anymore, I had nothing left in the tank and wasn't focusing well.

Did some concentration curls to finish off, then got out of there. It's been cool working out there, but honestly it didn't have any equipment the gym at Duke doesn't, and it was (god forbid) crowded! Nice experience, but I miss my workouts where I can just zone out.

Still, legs are feeling worked, as is my back, so it wasn't a total bust at all.

Diet- Ha! It's ben absolutely miserable. That might also help explain my lackluster performance in the gym.

Sleep- Not bad. 7+ hours a night.

Other- last day in LA, really, and I'm too tired to go out and do anything. I'm so youthful and full of energy, it shocks me.

Budiak
10-14-2002, 04:37 PM
Dude! YOou're like 6 hours away from me!! WHAT THE ****! I expect you, at my doorstep, with a sixpack of Rolling Rock, tonight.

Or your fate is sealed.

Alex.V
10-14-2002, 04:40 PM
Upon reflection, Andrea and I decided it was Flex Wheeler that was posing. I didn't get a good look at the face, but that's what she heard someone say and from the build, I'd believe it.

Budiak, I was expecting the same. Don't make me sic a deathbot on you.

the doc
10-14-2002, 05:27 PM
sounds like a fun time man!

Alex.V
10-17-2002, 09:41 AM
Pretty damn good workout, first workout at Duke since last thursday.

Deadlifts and shoulders... I slept on my left shoulder funny monday night, and I think it's not feeling so good... I'm going to have to take it easy this saturday to avoid any further strain. Damn damn damn. Anyway...

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 3, 540 x 2, 425 x 15 (!)

Not bad... first rep at 540 was rather slow, I don't think I was as keyed up as usual. Too bad, the second rep was brutally slow, and I almost missed the lockout. In fact, it was probably a little iffy anyway, but good enough for me. I got mad, though, and kicked the bar. Very meatheadish. My ankle now hurts. Those dudes that were deadlifting last time, though... they set up next to me. It was their second session doin' em. I feel like such an inspiration. lol. ;)

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 10, 45 x 9

Ouch. Left shoulder not happy. No pain, just a little bit of discomfort.

40 x 10, 35 x 10

Taking these very slow... Nothing exciting here.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 10, 110x2 x 10

My grip was actually shot, I need to do something about my calluses, they're cracking. Got such a love/hate relationship with chalk.

Diet- awful. Wasn't so great over the weekend, and SUCKED yesterday (had work). That might explain my slight lack of energy today.

Sleep- 6.5 restless hours. Yep yep.

Other- I now hate working out by myself.

ElPietro
10-17-2002, 02:12 PM
I got mad, though, and kicked the bar. Very meatheadish. My ankle now hurts.

LOL! Ok, just some advice, I find that if you have a calm chat with the bar prior to lifting, it is much more amicable towards you. You need to keep your tone down, so it doesn't feel like you've wounded it's pride, but must make sure it understands that it is just a stupid bar, and must bow down to the supreme meathead or else! :p

If this doesn't work.....

...kick the bar. :cool:

In any event, very good pulling Alex. 15 reps must put you near the puking point eh?

chris mason
10-17-2002, 06:18 PM
You know, for me, at the time I went there, Gold's was just plain exciting. I still thought I wanted to be a professional bodybuilder at that time. When I trained, I just wanted to look as good as possible. That was my driving force. I loved it.

Franco
10-18-2002, 03:31 AM
Deadlifts:

I can't remember if you do sumo's or conventional?

ectx
10-18-2002, 12:54 PM

Not bad... first rep at 540 was rather slow, I don't think I was as keyed up as usual. Too bad, the second rep was brutally slow, and I almost missed the lockout. In fact, it was probably a little iffy anyway, but good enough for me. I got mad, though, and kicked the bar. Very meatheadish. My ankle now hurts. Those dudes that were deadlifting last time, though... they set up next to me. It was their second session doin' em. I feel like such an inspiration. lol. ;)

LOL @ the mental image I'm getting here. I see a legion of B inspired meatheads kicking their bars now after doing deads. Nice going though. Maybe one of these days I'll add regular deads instead of just SLDL's to my routine. Heck, next time I'll even kick the bar just for sh*ts and giggles. Will this make the weight go up any easier?

Alex.V
10-18-2002, 01:00 PM
Franco- sumo stylee. :D

LP- lol. The bar is my friend... I love the bar. Ask andrea. I think I've caressed a loaded bar more than once.

okay stfu. I KNOW there's some dirty comments coming. Thanks, though. the 15 rep sets are exhausting, absolutely exhausting.

Chris- you know, that actually hit me when I was doing flyes. lol. I looked up and saw all those pictures overhead, and for a brief moment there I really DID feel inspired by them. That's odd, I'm not usually one to gawk at the big dudes and get any sort of rush.

ec- I love the fact you say "sh*ts and giggles" that's quite possibly my favorite expression. Regular deads are awesome, if they're not in your routine, then your routine needs some work.

;) jk. They're hard to fit in, but even rotating them in once every few weeks might be of some benefit. And no, kicking the bar just leaves you limping the next day. Ow.

the doc
10-18-2002, 01:20 PM
belial,
whats up bro!
way to go on 540
I remember not to long ago you were wanting to get 500, now your way past that

Just some girl
10-18-2002, 01:26 PM
lol. dirty comments aside...i would say that you have a love hate relationship with the bar, B. though favoring the love end of that more. but hey, love hurts, which is why no matter how much you love and caress the bar, when you kick it, it will hurt.

silly meathead....tricks are for kids. ;)

Relentless
10-18-2002, 01:31 PM
i would say that you have a love hate relationship with the bar . . . favoring the love end of that more . . . love hurts . . . no matter how much you love and caress the bar, when you kick it, it will hurt.

too... many... sexual... joke... opportunites... overloading... humour... centre... must... resist...

_-_v_-_
10-18-2002, 02:47 PM
LMAO

Just some girl
10-18-2002, 02:53 PM
:angel:

ectx
10-18-2002, 10:13 PM
"Sh*ts and giggles" has always been a favorite. :D And stop dogging my routine foo'...nah, I think deads will be good for me. I'll probably add them next month. The bar rubbing image I'm gettin' from that last post is just wrong man. You've got a girlfriend...step away from the bar. tuttut

almost forgot...great interview in the crier. Where are you applying to for med. school?

Alex.V
10-19-2002, 03:19 PM
EC- I wasn't doggin your routine at all, mang. And the bar thing... it meant nothing! honest!

Med school, I don't know yet. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. :)

Good chest workout. My shoulder is still feeling a little funny, so I took it easy on the heavy benching.

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 6, 275 x 3, 315 x 1, 315 x 1, 250 x 7

Last set was all paused, 2 seconds at the bottom, explosive concentric. No shoulder pain after these.

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 8, 155 x 9

Something like that. Triceps very tired from the paused set.

DB flyes:

80 x 8, 80 x 8?

Again, wasn't counting. Just focused on going slow to protect my shoulder. Again, zero pain here, just a good burn in my chest.

Tricep pushdowns:

255 x 8, 245 x 8, 200 x 6

Completely beat after these.... form was maybe not so good on the last rep of each set. lol.

DB front raises:

45 x 8, 45 x 8

(per side). Good, strict form. No shoulder pain.

So overall I'm pretty pleased that the slight twinge in my left shoulder doesn't seem to be aggravated by any of my chest workout. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and not push it until it's 100%.

Diet- a little crappy. (had work before I went to the gym)

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

Thas' it.

_-_v_-_
10-19-2002, 03:36 PM
B,

Just out of curiousity, assuming that you do decide on med school, have you ever thought about how training would be possible during residency?

It seems like quite a challenge to me.

ectx
10-19-2002, 06:28 PM
EC- I wasn't doggin your routine at all, mang. And the bar thing... it meant nothing! honest!

Sure, on both counts. Hah. *fights urge to use smiley*

What's the difference between a seated skullcrusher and a French press? Are they the same thing? Just curious.

I wouldn't worry about finding time to workout when you hit your residency. There are plenty of pretty big med students and residents on our campus. It's just a matter of doing what you've been doing. Plus it's med. school, it's not like it's graduate school in a biomedical science. *would insert condescending graduate student smiley here if there were one* j/k

Smiley count=0. Hah! Put that on your bar and stroke it.

_-_v_-_
10-19-2002, 06:47 PM
I've just heard some horrible things about residency...

Alex.V
10-20-2002, 12:44 PM
It's going to be a bitch, I have no doubt. But that's still years away, still taking it one day at a time. Even 45 minutes, twice a week would be enough for me to keep gaining, especially if I'm as advanced at that point as I hope I'll be.

Damn good leg workout.

Focused on nothing but depth and speed on my squats. I FINALLY am 100% sure I have legal depth on my wide stance squats....andrea said they were below, but I think they're right on the money.

Squats:

135 x 8 (ATF), 225 x 8 (ATF), 315 x 3, 315 x 3, 315 x 3

Very light weight, the idea is just to hit rock bottom on every rep and explode up.

Paused squats:

315 x 7 (?)

Long pause at the bottom. Some dude decline benching behind me gave me props on pushing it. My whole face was red, these probably looked hard. Good speed on the way up, though, and perfect depth on every rep.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 495 x 2

The 495 was very slow and deep. It's nice taking these lighter on leg days... my lower back can't take heavy SLDLs and heavy deads in the same week.

Leg press strip set:

20 plates + 40 x 3
18 plates + 40 x 4
16 plates + 40 x 6
14 plates + 40 x 6
12 plates + 40 x 6
10 plates + 40 x 5
8 plates + 40 x 3

No pause in between. Fried. Felt sick. Couldn't walk.

in other words...

Did one set of calf raises with around 1000 pounds on the sled, then two long sets of machine calf raises. That was it.

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 9 hours. :D

Other- I still feel sick. Yeah baby.

_-_v_-_
10-20-2002, 12:58 PM
It's nice taking these lighter on leg days..

*runs and hides in shame*

Just some girl
10-20-2002, 03:08 PM
Today was fun. Yay! Leg day = playtime in the gym!!

...ok, not really playtime. But it was still a fun day at the gym. :)

oh, yea, and I think I'd call your workout today a good one. Well, then again, I dunno. Let's see...you only gave yourself a nose bleed and almost vomitted. Honestly, you're beginning to slack. Next time you really gotta crank it up a notch. Ya fockin....slacker ;)
hehe. good workout, foo'

ectx
10-20-2002, 10:57 PM
Let's see...you only gave yourself a nose bleed and almost vomitted.

Okay, I wasn't going to post about that freaking impressive leg workout because, well, I've been bordering on degenerating your journal my last few posts, so I figured I'd give it a rest...but dang boy, you're just a bit of a masochist. Nice going. Really.

Franjipani
10-21-2002, 02:05 AM
Let's see...you only gave yourself a nose bleed and almost vomitted.

Whoooa, is that normal ?? :eek:

Alex.V
10-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Everything I do is normal!

:)

Good back day, albeit rushed. I took it lighter on the early stuff and decided to push it on the biangular row. Glad I did... and my lower back got a break since I didn't kick my butt on the DB rows or do bent-over BB row.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 5, +100 x 6

Nothing spectacular, staying away from the heavy set for now, which has a tendency to get sloppy.

DB rows, using a plate loading DB handle. :D

170 x 10, 170 x 8

Nice. Stabilizing this is tough, and I still need to buy better collars, but the feeling is great. :) Too bad the clips at the gym are worse than useless, which means I'm still worried that the plates are all going to crash to the floor. ;)

ACK! Smiley alert.

Anyway.

Bi-angular row strip set:

10 plates x 2
8 plates x 7
6 plates x 11
4 plates x 11
2 plates x 14

First two sets were PRs, and I was very pleased. Hard, considering I had to unload both sides. I didn't really get a break. Did the set, immediately got up, did a lap around the rig taking a plate off each side, then sat down, grabbed the handles, and did the next set. I was so winded afterwards that I just dropped my head down on the chest support. I looked up and four or five minutes had passed. Weird.

Finished up with concentration curls and hammer curls. Woot!

Diet- Pretty good, althought I think my sodium was in the range of 500% of the RDA.

Sleep- 8 hours. Skipped morning lecture. bwahaha.

Other- I got paid for four hours of work yesterday, and only did two. I rule. And now.... MATH LAB!

**** me.

That is all.

Just some girl
10-22-2002, 10:28 AM
hey, so you got some cardio in with your biangular row drop set, eh? (sprinting around the machine between sets. hehe). jk. sorry i wasnt there to help. but looks like you managed just fine on your own. ;)

and i hate to say it, but you have 4 smilies in the above post...not that i object, but you know...it seems to be a concern these days....;)

Blood&Iron
10-22-2002, 10:38 AM
Let's see...you only gave yourself a nose bleed and almost vomitted. Honestly, you're beginning to slack. Next time you really gotta crank it up a notch. Ya fockin....slacker ;)

I can understand the vomiting thing or even, possibly, passing out, but what's up with the nose bleeds? Do you get these at other times? I've seen you mention them before and am wondering why you think this occurs, as I can't think of any other reason than that you're holding your breath or grunting. Perhaps I'm misremembering, but don't androgens lead to this sometimes; do you think it might be because you have astronomical natural test levels or something?

I'm not trying to be an asshole; I'm just confused.

Alex.V
10-22-2002, 12:46 PM
B&I, I been thinking about that. My test levels probably are fairly high, but I doubt that's the cause. I've always been prone to nosebleeds, sometimes spontaneous. I do have a tendency to hold my breath when I'm going very heavy, certainly the first set or two of these drop sets qualify. They only seem to happen after squats, deads, leg press, or the bi-angular row drop sets, and even then it's not an all out nose bleed, I can simply smell a trace of blood in my sinuses. Considering how red my face (and eyes) get after heavy sets like this, I'm surprised I don't burst something else. lol.

It's not abnormal for me at all. I probably SHOULD work on my breathing, though.

Blood&Iron
10-22-2002, 01:15 PM

It's not abnormal for me at all. I probably SHOULD work on my breathing, though.
Nah. Bleeding in the gym makes you seem more hardcore. It fits well with using the chain of a dipping belt instead of straps. I was practically ecstatic when I noticed blood smeared all over my legs after the first few sessions deadlifting. I've fixed my form so my shins just end up being a bit red--I miss the blood(The other gym members probably weren't too thrilled about it, though--I do work out at a Bally's)

Reinier
10-22-2002, 03:07 PM
"Let's see...you only gave yourself a nose bleed and almost vomitted. Honestly, you're beginning to slack. Next time you really gotta crank it up a notch. Ya fockin....slacker "

****. this must be the best woman ever.

Accipiter
10-23-2002, 04:11 PM
495 sldl is light? I can't even hold 360 without it slipping from my grip.

Accipiter
10-23-2002, 04:13 PM
I actually have seen pictures of Belial, let me just say dude, you need to get better lighting or something

Alex.V
10-23-2002, 05:34 PM
How could you have seen them? lol. The only one I've ever put up is that relaxed shot of my back (which, yes, has ****ty lighting). :)

Blood&Iron
10-23-2002, 06:02 PM
How could you have seen them? lol. The only one I've ever put up is that relaxed shot of my back (which, yes, has ****ty lighting). :)
I think that one's a fraud personally.

I've heard rumors that Belial's actually a paraplegic, albino midget.

Santiago
10-24-2002, 05:51 AM
For the collars mang you can get spring clamps at a hardware store.....I'm not sure of the exact name of them, but they're cheaper than regular collars, and even more people will look at you funny :)

Alex.V
10-24-2002, 11:08 AM
B&I- shh. Albino midget, yet. But as for the latter part, I prefer the term "differently abled".

Santiago, great, just what I need. More people looking at me strangely. But that's a good idea, something industrial will probably be stronger anyway. :)

Damn good workout. :D

Deadlifted today, I think I'm going to wind down my heavy doubles soon, it's already getting a little harder to fire myself up for these workouts, could be a sign that my body needs a break. I'll likely drop down to 5 plates even and do some higher rep work, and drop the speed set back to 405 and really work on the explosion out of the bottom.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 545 x 2 (!), 435 x 8

First rep on 545 was faster than the first rep last week. Rep 2 had a slightly sloppy lockout. I tried doing the exaggerate lockout, but leaned back too far, lost balance and had to drop the bar. It went boom. :D And the speed set... first few reps were fast, but I'd ideally like to do at least 10 on it. So I'm dropping the weight back down, otherwise I'm more or less missing the point of them.

Still, very satisfied with my deadlift performance today.

Lateral raises:

45 x 10
Drop set:
45 x 11
40 x 5
35 x 3
30 x 3
25 x 3
20 x 4

Failed. lol. That was hilarious. Struggling with the 20's like they were 60's. I think my shoulder development is stagnating. Andrea doesn't seem to think so. Hmm.

Bent-over lateral raises.

35 x 10, 35 x 10

Fun. Traps actually hurt after this.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 12, 110x2 x 10

Grip hurting too bad to continue.

Finished up with hanging leg raises, and called it a day.

Diet- damn good. 5,300 calories or so.

Sleep- 8 hours. Skipped morning class. Whoopsie.

Das' it. I think I need a nap, that was a draining as hell workout.

_-_v_-_
10-24-2002, 11:22 AM
Good god, that's a lotta food.

And weight, too. Hmm, wonder if the two could be related...have to check into that...

Saturday Fever
10-24-2002, 11:27 AM
Failed. lol. That was hilarious. Struggling with the 20's like they were 60's. I think my shoulder development is stagnating. Andrea doesn't seem to think so. Hmm.

Anytime I do dropsets and get to the baby weights and struggle like hell is EXACTLY the moment the fine ladies decide to walk by and glance in my direction. Everytime without fail.

Just some girl
10-24-2002, 11:57 AM
lol. B, you are becoming a drop set junkie. its your drug and you cannot seem to get enough. ya weird weird man. and differently abled? LOL! oh i see....now you are being PC because the term is being applied to you. :p

BennettBoy
10-24-2002, 02:49 PM
B&I- Diet- damn good. 5,300 calories or so.

Dayum....I hope it wasn't a work day or the customers probably had a hard time finding a protein bar :D

ectx
10-24-2002, 04:27 PM
Geez, thaz a lot of food. Youza big.

anyway....

Question 4 ya. I'm doing upright rows and it feels like I hit the posterior delt pretty hard with them. Do you think I should still do the bent over lateral raises like you suggested? By the time I get to them the posterior delt feels pretty tight.

_-_v_-_
10-24-2002, 07:36 PM
Bent over laterals are teh cool. I love them.

Alex.V
10-24-2002, 11:17 PM
BB- no. lol. I can't get that many at work no matter how hard I try. And if I could....well, steer clear. Gah. Protein bars leave nasty reside. lol.

EC- I hate upright rows, period. They mess with my shoulders pretty badly, se I do them fairly rarely. I do think bent-over laterals are better for correcting an anterior/posterior imbalance than upright rows, though... the idea being to bring up your rear delt strength. So honestly, I'd do em anyway... or even do them before your upright rows. :) How's the shoulder?

ectx
10-25-2002, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the info B. I'll switch 'em to before the rows. The shoulder hasn't bugged me all week..not even a hint. It's been great. I've been doing them for about 4 weeks now (I think) so I'll let you share the credit with my amazing restorative abilities. haha. again thanks.

Just some girl
10-25-2002, 12:39 AM
did you make it past 5000 cals yet today? lol. 230...haha. ahem. something tells me that the next time you think it'd be fun to try and sit on me im not gonna think its quite so amusing... ;)

gnite. :)

the doc
10-26-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by the doc
lol!

hey man you gonna be in town not this weekend but the next? (oct 31-nov2)

Alex.V
10-26-2002, 03:08 PM
Doc, I should be around. Actually... ain't it the clemson/duke game? Craig, you going to be in town?

Decent chest workout today. My left shoulder is still weird. Would you believe this was a sleeping injury? Jesus. Anyway. Bar speed is suffering as a result, but technique is still pretty good.

BB Bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 275 x 2, 320 x 1, 320 x 1, 255 x 6, 255 x 6 + 2 paused.

320 was nice, but the lockout was uneven. First set of 255 slow and controlled, second set also with very good form. Long pause, good explosion off the chest.

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 7, 155 x 8

Not feeling so good. The push press to get it into position tweaks my shoulder, as does the descent after the set.

DB flyes:

80 x 8, 80 x 8

I think. Again, some pain in the shoulder, didn't push it at all. Still got a good chest workout out of it, though.

Tricep pushdowns:

285 (stack + 45 plate + 40lb DB) x 8 (!)
245 x 10
200 x 8

Good way to finish off the triceps, I'm realy loving these.

DB front raises:

45 x 10, 50 x 10

Wicked pump.

:help:

At least I didn't drop set 'em.

Diet- 5500 calories friday, 5400 on thursday. Staying near my goal. 2000 so far today. Blargh.

Sleep- 9 hours plus. Needed it badly.

That's about it, fewls.

Just some girl
10-26-2002, 03:27 PM
Seated skullcrushers....Not feeling so good. The push press to get it into position tweaks my shoulder, as does the descent after the set.

anything I can do to help? assist more in getting into position? or do something differently? let me know. i'd be more than happy to if it'd help.

Blargh.

my sounds are slowly taking over the world. O'DOYLE RULES!! This is all.

MonStar
10-27-2002, 05:01 AM
Tricep pushdowns:

285 (stack + 45 plate + 40lb DB) x 8 (!)
245 x 10
200 x 8

Jeez man your pressdowns are friggin' nuts! :eek::eek: How are you doing these by the way? I mean how is it possible to get a 45 lbs. plate and a 40 lbs. DB on your stack? Thats not even close to possible with the weight stacks at my gym.

Diet- 5500 calories friday, 5400 on thursday. Staying near my goal. 2000 so far today. Blargh.

I cannot get over how you can manage to take in 5000-5500 calories per day and stay around 9-10% bodyfat.. seems so crazy. Are you extremely active or something? Just doesnt make much sense to me. Not trying to call you a BSer at all just seems crazy to me. Your metabolism must be really friggin' fast.

What is your calorie intake on non-training days?

the doc
10-27-2002, 06:41 AM
lol

bump for belial

MonStar
10-27-2002, 08:14 AM

Accipiter
10-27-2002, 10:54 AM
Decent chest workout today. My left shoulder is still weird. Would you believe this was a sleeping injury? Jesus. Anyway. Bar speed is suffering as a result, but technique is still pretty good.

My worst, pretty much ONLY shoulder injury was a sleeping one. I slept on my left shoulder, kinda weird, like my left shoulder was a pivot the whole night and all my weight was on it somehow. I couldn't even move my left arm more than about 6" the day after, and didn't have full ROM back for 4 days or so. weird stuff

Alex.V
10-27-2002, 11:50 AM
Monstar, I dunno, the 45 is pinned with an extra long pin I steal from the power rack, and the dumbbell kinda sits on top. And the calories... I haven't been doing 5000-5500 for long, but... I do believe my metabolism is extremely fast. Besides the fact that I'm always way too hot (i practically radiate heat, and am ALWAYS wearing less than those around me), I've been eating 4500 a day to just maintain. While not hugely active, I do walk a few miles each day to and from class... I'm not quite sure why it takes me so many calories to gain weight. I wish it didn't. lol.

I've been at 5000-5500 on both training and non-training days for the last week or so. I'll check in about a week from now to see if I'm gaining too much fat. 230 is the goal, but a lean 230.

Legs:

Pretty fookin good workout. Kept the sets down, and followed the same protocol as last week. I'm liking it.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 335 x 6, 335 x 3, 335 x 3, 335 x 3

Wide stance. Very fast. Depth was excellent.

Paused squats:

335 x 7 (!)

3 second pause in the bottom. Face turned bright red. Depth was perfect, and balance was so good that even on the last rep, when my strength was shot and I was pushing for my life, I didn't waver. Very happy with these, will bump them up again next week.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 405 x 8

No need to go heavy here. Lower back is getting plenty, as are hamstrings.

Leg press strip set:

20 plates + 50 x 4
18 plates + 50 x 5
16 plates + 50 x 6
14 plates + 50 x 6
12 plates + 50 x 6
10 plates + 50 x 6
8 plates + 50 x 6
6 plates + 50 x 7

Had to unload these myself. That was BRUTAL. I was practically pulling myself to a standing position with my arms on the last few sets, since my legs were almost useless. In some ways, this is harder than having it done for me. My legs get a break, yet at the same time it's only a break to stand up, unload 2 45's, then sit back down. The whole set took about 2 minutes, maybe even a little more.

Calf raises on machine:

Stack x 12, stack x 12, stack x 14

Nice and slow. Was exhausted, staggered out the door and hobbled up the stairs.

Diet- ~5100 calories (at work yesterday. Bah.)

Sleep- 9 hours, give or take.

And I get to do work all day! How cool is that.

Just some girl
10-27-2002, 05:30 PM
the 45 is pinned with an extra long pin I steal from the power rack

and who came up with that brilliant idea?....:D whoop whoop.

Leg press strip set:
Had to unload these myself. That was BRUTAL.

aww....:(

Sounds like this was an awesome leg workout. I'm sorry I missed it!

Alex.V
10-30-2002, 08:52 PM
Yes dear, you're very smart.

Well, since WBB was DOWN. *ahem*, I'm updating a little late here. That's okay, though. My headphones broke, and I was completely unfocused during my back workout. i.e., it was complete sh*te.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 5, +135 x 1

Just lost it on 135. Was mad, wasn't paying attention.. did a second rep with some assist, but pretty much gave up. Smashed my headphones to pieces somewhere around this point.

Dumbbell rows:

175 x 8 (per side)

That was it. Decided I was going to say "fook it"

Bi-angular row:

10 plates x 1

Strip set:

10 plates x 1
8 plates x 7
6 plates x 8
4 plates x 9

Not bad. Grip was slipping, though.

Did concentration curls, then did some cable curls with the full stack. That actually got some people's attention. Great. I can impress people with my bicep strength. :rolleyes:

Diet- Been around 5000-5500 calories a day. Getting hard to keep this up, dammit!

Sleep- 7 hours.

That's it. Update again manana! DEDLIFTES!

Blood&Iron
10-30-2002, 09:28 PM
Yes dear, you're very smart.

Well, since WBB was DOWN. *ahem*, I'm updating a little late here. That's okay, though. My headphones broke, and I was completely unfocused during my back workout. i.e., it was complete sh*te.

You need music to stay focused? You pansy. I've squatted while listening to 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer' Now THAT'S hardcore.

Diet- Been around 5000-5500 calories a day. Getting hard to keep this up, dammit!

Poor wittle Bewial. Quit your whining, you pansy.

Pansy.

Oh, and work on your strength you pansy.

the doc
10-30-2002, 09:33 PM
hey man i wont be able to come down this weekend
but will probably for sure be going down there next weekend

we should hook up for some dedliftes!

Just some girl
10-31-2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

You need music to stay focused? You pansy. I've squatted while listening to 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer' Now THAT'S hardcore.

lol. no, thats just silly. :)

Blood&Iron
10-31-2002, 08:33 AM

lol. no, thats just silly. :)
It wasn't by choice. Bally's plays Christmas music during the holidays(I HATE CHRISTMAS MUSIC!) I'm sure in a few more weeks I'll be deadlifting and the Jingle Cats will come on the sound system. Recently, I was working out and they could only get reception on one of their evil corporate channels, so they kept playing the same, crappy, annoying techno song for 2 HOURS! 2 HOURS! I was about to shoot myself--or at least impale myself on an olympic bar.

Alex.V
10-31-2002, 12:01 PM
Doc, sounds good. :D

Apparently, B&I really wanted to call me a pansy. So I guess I am a pansy.

:(

I had a good deadlifting day, though!

Decided not to do any more doubles until I hit close to a max here. So I bumped it up, set a PR, and basically tapered off from there. Worked out a with a friend, actually, a guy who's been lifting quite a few years. Strong mofo. First time deadlifting off the floor (does heavy stiff leggeds and heavy squats, tho), and he pulled 425... gave 455 a run, too. Got potential.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 2, 555 x 1, 410 x 18 (!)

This was excellent. I felt like I had another 15 pounds in me, at least. Good speed off the floor, excellent lockout. I lost balance on the way down, but hell, I'll take it. Repped out on 410 pretty nicely, too. Excellent speed.

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 50 x 8, 45 x 10

Woo! :rolleyes:

40 x 10, 40 x 10

Did these more slowly than usual. Better form, too.

Cable lateral raises:

60 x 8 per side.

Dunno why. :D

That was it. Done. Exhausted. Fin.

Diet- 5200 calories

Sleep- 6 hours. DOH!

And I'm out...

galileo
10-31-2002, 12:03 PM

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6

I can do the first two... ;)

Saturday Fever
10-31-2002, 12:33 PM
Someday soon I will enter B's realm of the 500lb deadlift.

Begeezus man, 555?

Relentless
10-31-2002, 01:02 PM

Bi-angular row:

10 plates x 1

Strip set:

10 plates x 1
8 plates x 7
6 plates x 8
4 plates x 9

Not bad. Grip was slipping, though.

Have you tried straps?
Dunno about you but I was thinking that straps might help here and/or on some other lat work because it's usually grip that dies for me, not really lats

Of course this would strap you to the weight and if you're like me, with arms not long enough to set the weights on their cradle-pads without releasing the grip, then it could become a painful experience...

Hm.

Either way, 10 plates is fookin' insane... I'm repping at 6 plates myself and that's pretty damned heavy... it's getting hard to pause at the 'top' of the motion with the lats fully flexed although I still seem to have plenty of 'pull' left...

ectx
10-31-2002, 01:54 PM
So I guess I am a pansy.

And by your own admission a pretty boy too. So does that make you a pretty boy pansy? That's quite distasteful really.

Well, you don't deadlift like a pansy. Nice.
This is the part where I shut up and run away.

btw, 4 emoticons?!?!? You're over your quota pretty boy.

MonStar
10-31-2002, 05:09 PM
Deadlifts:

555 x 1, 410 x 18 (!)

Incredible pulling strength B. :thumbup::thumbup: Really impressive. 555 x 1 is great, good job man. 410 for 18 is also friggin' crazy.

Alex.V
11-02-2002, 02:33 PM
Cal- Straps? Naw, too much time to set and re-set. And yeah, I wanna be able to unload if I have to. Chalk, I guess?

EC- you'll get yours.

And thanks, guys. New PRs are always cool. I had witnesses, too, which is nice. (Good to share PRs with somebody)

Chest workout, not too bad at all.

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 275 x 2, 325 x 1, 325 x 1

Paused BB bench:

255 x 8-9?

Something like that. Was unstable on the descent on the first single, my wrist took a beating. So the second single was a little shaky. I may stay here next week, do three solid singles. But 255 felt easy as hell. Very light.

DB flyes:

80 x 9, 75 x 9, 75 x 10

Something like that. Wasn't counting. Did these very slow to avoid aggravating my shoulder.

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 8, 155 x 9-ish

Excellent speed. These popped up. Felt good.

Tricep pushdowns:

275 x 7, 245 x 8, 200 x 8

One-handed tricep pushdowns:

110 x 7 per side.

Triceps were DONE.

DB front raises:

45 x 8, 45 x 10

Nice and slow.

That was it... not too bad, overall. :)

Diet- TOO LOW IN CALORIES, dammit.

Sleep- 9+ hours.

Saturday Fever
11-02-2002, 02:39 PM
It's not so much your metabolism that makes you eat so much as you have a lot of lean muscle chewing up calories whilst you sit and do nothing. It would probably scare most people to see how many calories you must burn just taking notes in class.

ectx
11-02-2002, 07:28 PM
B, What's the biangular row machine like? Is it like the Hammer Strength row machine? Just curious. I refuse to incorporate any element of your routine into mine!....and you know what a crock of sh*t that is because I'm doing the bent over laterals...thanks.

Alex.V
11-03-2002, 02:21 PM
SF- I know right.... I'm wondering how I'll maintain 230, should I ever reach it. :eek:

EC- Probably the same damn thing. :) I've posted some pics of it in here, I believe. I need to dredge them up.

Positively vomitous leg workout (note: good thing)

Squats:

135 x 8 ATF, 225 x 8, 345 x 3, 345 x 3, 345 x 3

I realize why these are tough. Even when I went much heavier overall, 315 was my last raw set. My next set up had belt and wraps. So it's good getting these with nothing on. Depth was excellent.

Paused squats:

345 x 7 (!)

Keep improving here. Excellent depth, too. I might have had another rep in me...not sure.

SLDLs:

405 x 8

Good ROM.... but I'm not pushing it. One set is plenty.

Leg press strip set:

20 plates + 50lbs x 4
18 plates + 50lbs x 5
16 plates + 50lbs x 6
14 plates + 50lbs x 6
12 plates + 50lbs x 6
10 plates + 50lbs x 6
8 plates + 50lbs x 6
6 plates + 50lbs x 6

blargh. I was unloading one side, andrea the other. Walking was not easy afterwards. Jesus.

Finished off with calf raises, full stack, pause at the bottom. Hobbled out.

Diet- a bit low in calories, but good.

Sleep- 7 hours-ish, but broken up a little.

I'm going to go pass out now....

Just some girl
11-03-2002, 02:28 PM
man...i handle seeing a great deal of things that would turn a weaker stomach, but seriously, those drop sets...damn. i....i...uh...yea. :)

you had an awesome workout. its amazing how much you are able to push yourself. truly amazing. I've seen it almost every workout for months now and still...amazing. :)

the doc
11-03-2002, 03:26 PM
save a little energy for next weekend...lol

Miss Rezza
11-03-2002, 05:05 PM

Leg press strip set:

20 plates + 50lbs x 4
18 plates + 50lbs x 5
16 plates + 50lbs x 6
14 plates + 50lbs x 6
12 plates + 50lbs x 6
10 plates + 50lbs x 6
8 plates + 50lbs x 6
6 plates + 50lbs x 6

:omg: Let us know when you're able to walk again!!

That's incredible!

MonStar
11-03-2002, 06:53 PM
Deadlifts:

410 x 18 (!)

Hey B---I was just looking at your journal and I was thinking about a few things. First of all your grip strength is insane. To hold 410 lbs. for 18 reps is just crazy. Regardless of rep speed. Second of I need to increase my grip strength. Doing rack deads again really tax my grip. I hit up 455 x 3 today and that fried my grip. I am thinking because I never wear straps, and static holds never did sh*t for my grip.

Pup
11-03-2002, 06:59 PM
you are a golden god...i will bow to you now :bow:

Budiak
11-03-2002, 11:01 PM
What kind of machine do they ahve at your gym that will even accept 20 plates...plus 50lbs?

BTW, mad lifts...mad lifts.

Franjipani
11-04-2002, 01:14 AM
Positively vomitous leg workout (note: good thing)

Whoooa :eek:

Relentless
11-04-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Budiak
What kind of machine do they ahve at your gym that will even accept 20 plates...plus 50lbs?

Most decent 45-degree plate-loaded sled-type leg presses will easily hold 10 plates a side and more (20 plates + 50 is "only" 950lbs...)

Having to get off and unload your own plates for a dropset is just unfair though... :eek:

Anyway, about the bi-angular row, i upped to 6 plates +50 today and it was painful but not bad. I guess I can see the other side of 8 plates by Xmas but I'm really a bit paranoid about ROM slippage at the high weight and through the later reps . . . actually even at this weight I find it impairs breathing a bit because you're jammed up against the chest pad so tightly....

thanks for the comments; I may try chalk but I rarely see it at my gym so it may be a 'nono'. Wussy-ass yuppie gym. *sigh*

MonStar
11-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Callahan
Anyway, about the bi-angular row, i upped to 6 plates +50 today and it was painful but not bad. I guess I can see the other side of 8 plates by Xmas but I'm really a bit paranoid about ROM slippage at the high weight and through the later reps . . . actually even at this weight I find it impairs breathing a bit because you're jammed up against the chest pad so tightly....

Yeah I agree C. I used a supported row similar to what you guys are talking about and DAMN that thing is a friggin' killer on my sternum/chest area. I only use around 250-275 lbs. and damn that aches. All the pressure is on my sternum/rib cage area.

Just some girl
11-04-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Callahan

Having to get off and unload your own plates for a dropset is just unfair though... :eek:

yea, but partially his fault. at least this time. i asked him if he wanted to get another person to help, but his response? "no, its harder if i do it myself." yep. guess he really likes to kick his own arse. like ive said before, impressive. esp because by the end standing up from the machine looks as hard as actually moving the weight. heh. yipes.

Alex.V
11-05-2002, 11:11 AM
Yes, it's harder to do it myself, but I think actually stopping and focusing again lets me do more reps.

C- you might want to try bringing up the seat a little, and actually having your abs pick up some of the load from the pad. Your chest doesn't really stand a chance, but your abs can actually resist the crush a little.

Back day! And I'm in a rush.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 5 (wide grip), +110 x 4 (narrow grip)

These were done with less rest than usual. Slow negatives on last two sets, nothing to failure.

DB rows:

180 x 8, 160 x 10, 160 x 8

Back up to my strength here with the new bar. Felt nice. The loaded dumbbell looks sick, almost like a caricature. lol.

Barbell rows:

275 x 10, 315 x 7, flipped grip to underhand and did another 3. Don't like underhand AT ALL.

Finished up with 4 sets concentration curls, 1 set hammer curls.

Diet- can't seem to make 5000 calories. Bah! But I'll be back on track this week, dammit!

Sleep- 8 hours. At least THIS is consistently good.

Sorry about the uninspired update, but I'm late for class.

galileo
11-05-2002, 11:21 AM
All I heard was, "Blah blah blah I'm a dirty tramp."

Relentless
11-05-2002, 01:05 PM
you know the sad thing about the new plateloaded DBs are that you can't call them 'Belial Rows' anymore. ;)

Just some girl
11-05-2002, 01:55 PM
sure he could. he's the only little boy in the gym with that particular toy. so at least in our gym he stands alone. kinda like the cheese. poor cheese. even if it is stinky cheese, you'd hope somebody would like it. i mean, it's not the cheese's fault, right? right?

Saturday Fever
11-05-2002, 02:03 PM
Get rid of the cheese is what I say.

Alex.V
11-05-2002, 02:11 PM
Andrea. Crack pipe. Put it down.

ElPietro
11-05-2002, 02:25 PM
So you bring your own DB handles in? How stable is everything. I wanted to buy some but haven't found them here...only on US sites. *grumble*

Oh and how much poundage can you get on one for a practicle db row...ie. not bashing head in with plate.

EDIT: I guess I'm also wondering how strong the collars are...would you load them up for DB Bench? Or no way jose? Saw some clamps on one site that were supposed to be super ultra mega strong...but who knows how strong something is till you put a sh!tload of weight on it...and then putting it over your face...that would be fun. :)

Pup
11-05-2002, 02:30 PM
Sorry B...she told me that she just wanted a hit...i come back 30 minutes later and she smoked 3 rocks.

Alex.V
11-07-2002, 11:40 AM
Three rocks? Must have been an off day.

Deadlifts! And oh what deadlifts they were.

Good workout, felt pretty stoked going in... worked out with andrea and a friend of mine, he was deadlifting too. His second time... gave 475 a ride a few times, couldn't get it more than a few inches up, tho. At under 200 lbs, that's pretty damn good regardless.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 3, 560 x 1 (!), 415 x 12-ish

Damn. 560 felt easy. Excellent lockout, great speed off the ground, perfect balance. I know I got at least 6 plates in me right now. Looks like this might be the goal I reach. :)

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 50 x 10, 45 x 10

Woo.

DB upright rows:

75's x 8, 70's x 10

Haven't done these in a while. No shoulder aggravation, but won't be doing them again for a few workouts.

35 x 10, 40 x 10

Stricter than ever. Ready to bump these up.

DB shrugs with 110's, two sets of slow machine calf raises, and a set of hanging leg raises finished off the workout

Funny stuff... an old guy who I guess is one of the people in charge of the facility asked me to "not drop the weight". Yes, he was referring to deadlifts. I couldn't believe he was serious. He said "You're strong enough, try to lower it down". I didn't know whether to laugh, try to explain it, or what. So I finally said "Okay", and continued with my workout. No biggie. He keeps giving me a hard time, I'll see what I can do about deadlifting in the varsity gym. They've got platforms. :D

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

Diet- excellent in calories.. not enough low GI carbs, though.

That's it, yo.

Savannah
11-07-2002, 11:50 AM
:bow:

Reinier
11-07-2002, 11:55 AM
do you realise your journal is the biggest thread on this forum?

BennettBoy
11-07-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Reinier
do you realise your journal is the biggest thread on this forum?

That's because he didn't start a new one every other day :D

tuttut Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Alex.V
11-07-2002, 12:01 PM
Score! :)

Pup
11-07-2002, 12:17 PM
*puts in application for president of belial's fan club* ;)

the doc
11-07-2002, 12:31 PM
hey i remember that old guy, lol
he has probably just never seen anyone pull that much..LOL~!

he didn't see the chalk did he?

Alex.V
11-07-2002, 12:37 PM
Naw, guess he didn't. I think he might be the facilities director. lol. Stupid old man. They got a problem with chalk too?

ElPietro
11-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
So you bring your own DB handles in? How stable is everything. I wanted to buy some but haven't found them here...only on US sites. *grumble*

Oh and how much poundage can you get on one for a practicle db row...ie. not bashing head in with plate.

EDIT: I guess I'm also wondering how strong the collars are...would you load them up for DB Bench? Or no way jose? Saw some clamps on one site that were supposed to be super ultra mega strong...but who knows how strong something is till you put a sh!tload of weight on it...and then putting it over your face...that would be fun. :)

:confused:

Alex.V
11-07-2002, 12:47 PM
Ah, solly, did not see. :) Andrea got them for me, actually. They're quite stable for rows, once I found tight clips. I'd never use them for DB bench, unless I got myself some tight locking collars or clamps. I mean, they wobble a bit, but worst case scenario, on the rows the plates fall off. But it feels good to use them, tighter than the EZ curl bar (although those were damn fun)

No idea of poundage. At least bodyweight for a single, I'm sure. The 25's crash into my chest on every rep right now, but that's better than the head.

Just some girl
11-07-2002, 01:23 PM
awesome. just plain awesome, 560.
also, a thought...could you use the DB handles for your shrugs? dunno if you wanna increase them at all. you just seem to be at the 110s and always like, "eh, whatever." mebbe no gud idea. but jus a tought, ju kno?

ElPietro
11-07-2002, 01:35 PM
Cool...I was looking at some handles on ironmind.com. They are 24 inches long...so 4" longer than olympic handles. Says it can fit 10 10lb plates per side...so wouldn't even have to go to 25ers until you hit I guess about 215, as I'm sure the bar and collar prolly weigh close to 15lbs. Come with some collars that are supposedly supposed to be for heavy duty DB lifting. Bit pricey but if it works I guess it's well worth it.

Here's a link if you haven't seen em before. It's the "Big Boy Dumbell Bars" and they I believe come with the "Olympic Bulldog II Collars."

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/

ectx
11-07-2002, 02:34 PM

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 3, 560 x 1 (!), 415 x 12-ish

Damn. 560 felt easy. Excellent lockout, great speed off the ground, perfect balance. I know I got at least 6 plates in me right now. Looks like this might be the goal I reach. :)

Dang mang. I've got to stop picking on Andrea, because now you've gone beyond the realm of scary into just pain freaky. Truely impressive.
Okay, maybe I'll pick on JSG one more time...but I just can't help it. It's like a disease I tell you.

*edit...almost forgot...I thought you hated upright rows?!?!

Alex.V
11-07-2002, 04:38 PM
A disease? Surely it can't be healthy. Andrea, what do you have to say about that? :D

I never liked upright rows because they've bothered my shoulders in the past, and I felt the benefit from them was marginal. I gave them a try today to see how they felt, but overall the movement was awkward, and that's what caused me to stop the exercise, not failure. So yeah, probably won't be doing them again for a while. ;)

Just some girl
11-07-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by ectx
Okay, maybe I'll pick on JSG one more time...but I just can't help it. It's like a disease I tell you
Andrea, what do you have to say about that? :D

I hear that a good run of broad spectrum antibiotics will clear that right up....:angel:

Miss Rezza
11-07-2002, 05:21 PM

I hear that a good run of broad spectrum antibiotics will clear that right up....:angel:

ROFL :p

Alex.V
11-07-2002, 05:23 PM
*gives antibiotics to all the small children*

ectx
11-07-2002, 05:54 PM
Blargh! Bastard. *grumble grumble* My strain's resistant.

I'm in business, Yo.

The Calvinator
11-08-2002, 10:35 AM
You have some nice strenght man, i know you hear it a lot probably, but just thought i would tell you:thumbup:
how close are you to getting 405 on bench?? eclipse1 and I are having a friendly contest to see who can get to 405 on bench first. If my wrist heals, i should hopefully get it by the middle of february.

Alex.V
11-08-2002, 10:40 AM
Thanks man. No idea... My shoulders are constantly giving me a hard time... I think, were they 100%, I'd probably be around 350-355, and I'd be able to focus more specifically on bringing my bench strength up. Who knows. It may take me five or six more months if this bitch of a shoulder keeps up....

MonStar
11-08-2002, 10:41 AM
Belial:

What is the highest that you have benched when your shoulder was completely healthy?

Alex.V
11-08-2002, 10:45 AM
335, around 8 months ago (when I believe I was much weaker)

The Calvinator
11-08-2002, 10:59 AM
i understand about the shoulder, my AC joints are messed, ah well, such is training...

xraygirl
11-08-2002, 04:39 PM
I remember reading somewhere that you keep a workout journal on your palm pilot. Did you create the program or download it from somewhere? I'm sick of carrying around a notebook in the weight-room.

Sinep
11-08-2002, 04:56 PM
yeah me too, I'm at the gym right in the middle of a set right now lol
xraygirl: tell me you're not really carrying a notebook into the gym :eek:
I don't even keep a journal, I just lift the damn weights

Alex.V
11-08-2002, 04:57 PM
Nope. No notebook or palm pilot here. :) All in my head. Too distracting, I guess?

xraygirl
11-09-2002, 12:11 AM
Rats! I'm gonna have to do a search then :mad:
Yep, I have a little notebook that I carry around. Actually I can remember workouts until I next work that body part. But still, I like tracking my progress. It feeds my fragile ego :D

MonStar
11-09-2002, 07:00 AM
Deadlifts:

560 x 1 (!)

Nice pull B. Good job man. :):)

Alex.V
11-09-2002, 01:17 PM
Thanks monstar. :) I can so taste 6 plates...

Chest day:

Not a bad workout, really. Shoulder bothering me less... I don't know if that's because I took some dex (for my skin.. had a mild eczema flare-up), or because it's getting better. Either way...

BB bench:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 275 x 3, 325 x 1, 315 x 2

Paused BB bench:

265 x 5

All of these were tight, no assist needed on any of them. Decent bar speed on 315, too. Shoulder didn't bother me one bit.

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 8, 155 x 9

Did these a little too soon after the paused bench, didn't have the strength I'd hoped. Still, not too bad.

DB flyes:

75 x 10, 75 x 10, 75 x 10

Strict... these aggravate my shoulder the most if I get sloppy or go too heavy. So I kept them light. Felt good, though.

Tricep pushdowns:

280 x 7, 245 x 8, 200 x 10

Nothing special here, really. 280 was hard as hell, but I might have cheated a little on form. I couldn't tell.

DB front raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 10

Whee! Nice pump...

:help:

That's it, really. Now I need to get ready for work. I love saturdays. Blech.

Diet- A bit low in calories, but pretty good.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

Alex.V
11-10-2002, 01:53 PM
Oh my f*cking lord, it was a good workout.

Doc came to visit last night... Andrea and I met him at a bar type place, we chilled for a bit. Good to see you in town, man. :) The two Guinnesses didn't fook up my workout, either.

So, without further ado...

Squats:

135 x 8 (ATF), 225 x 8, (ATF), 355 x 3, 355 x 3, 355 x 3

Not bad here. Depth was shoddy on the first set, the second two sets had excellent depth on every rep. Speed picked up, too.

Paused squats:

355 x 6 (!)

I had another one in me. But these were great anyway... first few felt very easy, and the explosion up was good. Perfect depth, too.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 405 x 8

These were good. Again, staying rather light on these. Good depth, actually felt them where it's intended. lol.

Leg press strip set, nobody to help me:

20 plates + 70lbs x 4
18 plates + 70lbs x 5
16 plates + 70lbs x 6
14 plates + 70lbs x 6
12 plates + 70lbs x 6
10 plates + 70lbs x 6
8 plates + 70lbs x 6
6 plates + 70lbs x 9

woo. Next week I'll start with 22 plates.

Some machine calf raises to finish off.

Diet- was at work yesterday, but still finished off okay.

Sleep- 8 hours.

That's about it. I need more food.

Relentless
11-10-2002, 02:08 PM
Guinness is GOOD for your workouts, didn't you know??

Doctors once prescribed GUINNESS® as a cure for debility, anaemia and to help patients through their convalescence.

I remember hearing a story (possibly apocryphal) that porterhouse ales (similar to stouts) were so named because big burly porters would drink them between shifts of heavy lifting (porters being guys that carried stuff around) for carbohydrates and energy as well as a bit of soothing alcohol.

Oh, and I gotta say -- I can't believe you're doing strip sets on leg press as a regular thing. I did it, and it was a religious experience of sorts, but I think it's gonna be more of an 'every 2nd week' kinda thing for me . . .

Alex.V
11-10-2002, 02:28 PM
Wasn't that because of the iron content or something? :)

I can't believe I'm doing it either, but I really do look forward to the strip sets. I dunno.. I like feeling worked. I'm sure I'll start stagnating, and I'll have to drop 'em. (pun intended). But for now, they're fun. Really.

galileo
11-10-2002, 02:37 PM
What's dex?

Alex.V
11-10-2002, 02:39 PM
Dexamethasone. Corticosteroid. :)

galileo
11-10-2002, 02:55 PM
Gotcha. Thanks :)

ectx
11-10-2002, 08:10 PM
Hey B, how long do you think you'll keep on doing the drop sets on leg press? You've been doing them for what...couple of month's now? How do you think your legs have responded? Just curious.

MonStar
11-10-2002, 11:23 PM
Hey B have you ever considered dabbing into the world of anabolics? I know that you said you did a small/moderate EQ cycle or something along those lines, but I am wondering if you ever considered doing a full-blown anabolic stack to beef up big time?

Alex.V
11-11-2002, 12:06 AM
EC- I don't know how long I've been doing them for... a few months sounds about right..

Considering how much weight I've decreased my squat by in an effort to get depth, and how much volume I've decreased my entire leg workout by, I give the leg press a good deal of the credit for the leg growth I've gotten lately. There's certainly something going on.. inner thighs rub together when I walk (that sounds pleasant), and strength has gone up. So... yes. There's new growth, which is always good to see. :)

Monstar- :) Quien sabe?

BennettBoy
11-11-2002, 07:12 AM

Monstar- :) Quien sabe?

What does that mean in English? Don't keep us idiots in the dark now. :p

Alex.V
11-11-2002, 08:52 AM
Who knows.

the doc
11-11-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by MonStar
Hey B have you ever considered dabbing into the world of anabolics? I know that you said you did a small/moderate EQ cycle or something along those lines, but I am wondering if you ever considered doing a full-blown anabolic stack to beef up big time?

lol!

oh man i am really bummed about missing that workout!

Was great seeing you- to all the world let it be known that belial and andrea are good people. He even gave the panhandler a buck instead of a forearm!

Alex.V
11-12-2002, 11:02 AM
Yeah man. I shoulda just acted really pissed. ;)

Back day!

Woo.

My workout partner is a slackass and didn't show up, but I had a decent workout nevertheless.

Doing something different on my pullups.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 8, +90 x 6, +45 x 14

Didn't think I'd get that many. Will bump it up, though... I'm going to drop the heavy singles and doubles for a while, see what this does.

DB rows:

175 x 10/10, 165 x 10/10

Very nice. Strict form on all of them, full contraction of the lats. That dumbbell looks hilarious, btw. 3 25's and a 5 per side. Kinda like a 60 lb DB on steroids.

*snort*

;)

Bi-angular row:

10 plates x 3 (!), 8 plates x 8, 6 plates x 8

Again, quite good. Lower back felt it a bit, though, just because I keep the pad very low on my body (seat up high), so I do need to keep my back straight while pulling. hm.

Finished off with concentration curls (3 sets of 10 with 50's), and cable curls (2 sets of 8, full stack of 200lbs)

Diet- 5500 calories on the dot (well, loosely speaking)

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

that's it, yo.

galileo
11-12-2002, 11:08 AM
I can do 1.26875924 pullups! WooOOOO!

What grip are you using?

Just some girl
11-12-2002, 11:09 AM
aww...im sorry. :( i know. i suck. i just needed the sleep, i guess.

:(:( ok, won't do it again. i have a few workouts to make up, now too.

looks like you had a really good workout.

oh, and....

Diet- 5500 calories on the dot (well, loosely speaking)
...lol! crackhead. ;)

ElPietro
11-12-2002, 11:15 AM
Hehe, I was just thinking...you should embark into the world of design. Consider the equipment you might use, you could design a special "meathead suit". All kevlar, arms cut off of course, with a weightbelt chain, wrist wrap cuffs, with optional lifting straps, double holstered db handles on the hip, with collars across your chest in a sash. Ankle hooks for any cable movements you want to do and a H20 backpack and side pouch of chalk. :p You could even incorporate a hand blender strapped to the leg for quick and easy protein shakes post workout! :D

ElPietro
11-12-2002, 11:16 AM
Oops, I forgot to add in that this outfit can only be worn with clown pants. Before doc chimes in with it. :p

IceRgrrl
11-12-2002, 11:19 AM
I can't believe I'm doing it either, but I really do look forward to the strip sets. I dunno.. I like feeling worked

Can I reserve a front row seat??? :D

(Sorry, it just sounded that way to me.... )

:angel:

Relentless
11-12-2002, 11:23 AM
ROFL

I think Icer has been corrupted by all the :hump: and other lascivious comments posted in her journal. She's getting all . . . naughty-minded. ;)

IceRgrrl
11-12-2002, 11:30 AM
Heh...Callahan, I hate to destroy your nice opinion of me, but I've been this way since, oh, about junior high ?)

(and Alex is used to my sense of humor by now anyways :p)

Alex.V
11-12-2002, 01:05 PM
LOL.

Galileo- standard dual overhand except for my heavy set.

JSG- How can you call ME the crackhead? Look what LP just posted.

LP- then I'll REALLY be a superhero. :D Had I an outfit like that, i'd never take it off.

Icer- Hey, I thought I told you I wasn't doing that job. ;) But, hell, if the price is right...

lol. And yeah... your, erm, extremely dirty sense of humor is well known to me. And we all love it.

Alex.V
11-14-2002, 11:15 AM
Deadlifts.

Both good and bad, today. I'm happy, but at the same time a little disappointed.

Good amount of sleep, good amount of food, etc. Felt a little tired going in, but the pace picked up quickly.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 2, 565 x 1 (!), 585 x .75

ALMOST HAD IT! I didn't take long enough after 565... I've never tried a heavy pull after setting a PR, and my hamstrings were already toast, but... I got it off the floor, slowly but surely, got it over my knees....and couldn't quite lock it out without losing my balance. DAMN DAMN DAMN. But... hey, I got 6 plates off the floor and gave it a damn good ride. Next week it's mine, baby.

Couldn't do much else. Lateral raises, bent-over laterals, shrugs, and some machine calf raises. I was stoked about the dead... my audience was too big and I felt a little rushed, though. Still set a PR, though. And I'm still on track to hopefully pull 600 by the end of this year.

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 7.5 hours

That's pretty much it. I need to go lie down. lol.

Just some girl
11-14-2002, 11:24 AM
congrats on 565 :) you will get 6 plates next time. you almost had it this time. good job.

BennettBoy
11-14-2002, 11:30 AM
I was stoked about the dead... my audience was too big and I felt a little rushed, though. Still set a PR, though. And I'm still on track to hopefully pull 600 by the end of this year.

This is too funny. B's got his own gallery now:D

Good job on the PR. That's a lot of weight.

Alex.V
11-16-2002, 12:42 PM
Chest day. And it was wicked good.

I can't believe I just typed "wicked".

Bench is finally to where it was before the rash of injuries, but ROM is much better, and strength overall is vastly improved.

BB bench:

135 x 12, 225 x 8, 275 x 2, 335 x 1, 315 x 2, 275 x 2

Nice. Back up to my old PR... next week I plan on breaking it. Good bar speed, finally, and had some room to spare.

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 8, 160 x 7 (8?)

Don't remember how many. Felt very strong, though. Very strong.

DB flyes:

75 x 8, 75 x 8, 75 x 6

I think that was the progression. Strict, for the most part. Very strong contractions in the chest. Nice. No pain on any of these this week, btw.

Tricep pushdowns:

275 x 8, 245 x 10, 200 x 12

Nothing special here... burnt.

DB front raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 10

Also nice and strict, minimal discomfort in the left shoulder.

Diet- Right on.

Sleep- 7.5 hours, I think.

That's it, yo.

chris mason
11-16-2002, 12:45 PM
Good job on the deadlift. I have the opposite problem, when I miss, I miss because I couldn't get the bar moving. If I can move it, even barely, I will be able to lock it out.

Alex.V
11-16-2002, 12:49 PM
Thanks chris. Lockouts aren't usually the problem for me, either, which is what amazed me. When I pull sumo, if I miss it's because it doesn't leave the floor. Which is why I think it was more fatigue than anything else... I just had nothing left to pull with.

Just some girl
11-16-2002, 12:57 PM
good workout today. except you need to work on your counting skills. ;) you are counting a few reps too low on each of your sets of flies. i think it was more like reps: 10, 9, 7. But that's ok. You can't be expected to do that many things at the same time. :D

and yea...that deadlift is not the way you usually fail. you were just way exhausted at that point. you'll get it next week no doubt. :)

Franjipani
11-16-2002, 06:50 PM
i think it was more like reps: 10, 9, 7. But that's ok. You can't be expected to do that many things at the same time. :D

*lol* @ B's multi-tasking skills ;)

Alex.V
11-17-2002, 12:27 AM
lol. Eh, whatever. Reps shmeps. They're flyes. :) They don't impress anybody.

Franji, there will be no laughing. Not in my journal. tuttut

galileo
11-17-2002, 01:27 AM
Dumbell flyes impress me. Be accurate...for ME. Douche-sac.

Alex.V
11-17-2002, 12:32 PM
Okay....leg day was.. interesting.

Everything was going fine until the end, really. Decent strength, no aches or pains.. nada.

But then it got kinda weird... I guess I didn't eat or drink enough this morning.

Squats:

135 x 8 (ATF), 225 x 8 (ATF), 365 x 3, 365 x 3, 365 x 3

Nice. Felt as strong as last week's 355... excellent depth on all of them, too. Progressing quickly here, and for a completely raw (no belt, no wraps, nada) squat to legal depth, I'm pretty happy.

Paused squats:

365 x 6 (!)

These can go up next week, too. Killer... eyes bloodshot afterwards, whole upper body red. lol.

SLDLs:

405 x 10, 405 x 10

Nothing speshul.

Here's the weird part:

Leg press strip set:

22 plates x 4
20 plates x 5
18 plates x 6
16 plates x 6
14 plates x 6
12 plates x 6
10 plates x 6
8 plates x 6

And at this point... it was 12:55 when I finished the set. I lay back, and... it was 1:07 when I stood up.

I don't really remember what happened, but when I woke up I had a splitting headache and both legs cramped up. I guess I blacked out... but no. It's not cool. That shouldn't happen, not while in a reclining position. I don't know if it was low blood sugar, not enough water... I didn't do anything differently this week, I don't think... other than having a smaller than usual dinner last night.

Oh well.

Finished off with some very lackluster calf raises.

Diet- Too low in calories. DAMN work.

Sleep- 7 hours.

That's about it.

MonStar
11-17-2002, 12:39 PM
And at this point... it was 12:55 when I finished the set. I lay back, and... it was 1:07 when I stood up.

I don't really remember what happened, but when I woke up I had a splitting headache and both legs cramped up. I guess I blacked out... but no. It's not cool. That shouldn't happen, not while in a reclining position. I don't know if it was low blood sugar, not enough water... I didn't do anything differently this week, I don't think... other than having a smaller than usual dinner last night.

Damn B, be careful man. Lucky that you didnt blackout in the middle of the damn set. Something like this has happened to me before. Really really watch your breathing on leg presses man. I used to stand up with an awful headache and once I focused on taking large breadths in during the negative and blowing all of my air out in the positive of each rep, it went away. Be careful B, youre using a lotta weight. I would hate to see you get seriously injured.

Alex.V
11-19-2002, 11:04 AM
Whee. Back day. Not going for many PRs, especially since I'm hoping to hit a 20 lb PR on the dead (6 plates). Shouldn't be hard, though, considering I gave it a damn good ride last week.

Without further ado:

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 8, +45 x 20 (!)

Just a PR because it was unbelievably exhausting. I think the last few reps were sheer willpower. Ow. These burnt me.

DB rows:

185 x 8/8, 165 x 10/10, 165 x 6/6

Don't know what happened on the last set. Damn.

BB rows:

275 x 10, 315 x 8

Ready to bump these up. 315 is boring me.

Concentration curls with 50's, then cable curls with the full stack. Woo. Those were fun.

That was pretty much it. Not a bad workout, really.

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 6.5 hours. Damn damn damn.

I'm runnin off to class now.

MonStar
11-19-2002, 11:55 AM
Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 20 (!)

BB rows:

275 x 10, 315 x 8

Awesome strength here B, godd*mn. Youre strength is seriously inspiring. I hope to get my friggin' BB row strength up a good deal. What kind of form are you using on BB rows? Double overhand grip or what? Pulling to your waist I am assuming?

Alex.V
11-21-2002, 11:20 AM
Monstar- Yep, double overhand grip, pull to my waist. :)

Deadlifts.

:D:D:D

Damn good day, too. Came in slightly uninspired, but got over that real fast.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 3, 405 x 2, 585 x 1 (!), 405 x 1

20 pound PR for me... and it was perfect. A tiny bit of hesitation off the floor, but the rest of the lift was fast, smooth, excellent lockout, and plenty of room to spare.

That bar looked loaded. I think it bent a lot. I made noise.

Lateral raises:

50 x 10, 50 x 10, 45 x 12, 45 x 8

Woo.

40 x 8, 40 x 8

Excellent form on these...

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 12, 110x2 x 12

And that was pretty much it...

Funny story.. remember how I said I got lectured a few weeks ago about not dropping the weight? Well, the guy was in again.. before I started working out, he told me he'd been doing some reading, and that the eccentric on a deadlift was supposed to be slow and controlled. The guy reads a paragraph on deadlifting in some general weight training book, and suddenly is an expert on it. lol. Anyway, Alex played nice, we chatted for a bit, I told him I wouldn't mind checking out the books, smiled a lot, and summarily ignored him. I suppose he means well.. doesn't want to see me injure myself, but.. what a riot.

Anyway.

Diet- excellent.

Sleep- 8 hours.

That's it, yo.

Mik
11-21-2002, 11:24 AM
Man that's some serious weight! Congrats on the PR.

Savannah
11-21-2002, 12:01 PM
Done in Arsenio Hall style:

"whoop whoop whoop"

BennettBoy
11-21-2002, 12:06 PM
Great job Alex. I hope you gallery was watching today LOL. I'm trying to build me a gallery too!

ectx
11-21-2002, 12:10 PM

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 3, 405 x 2, 585 x 1 (!), 405 x 1

20 pound PR for me... and it was perfect. A tiny bit of hesitation off the floor, but the rest of the lift was fast, smooth, excellent lockout, and plenty of room to spare.

So I guess Andrea got up to witness you doing 6 plates. You're such a badass. Did you gather a crowd this time? haha. Anyhow, congrats. Remind me not to piss you off every once in a while.

Oh...and on that last sentence...I only counted one 2-syllable word. Don't be going monosyllabic. Lack of oxygen maybe? *this is where you remind me not to piss you off*

Again, congrats.

MonStar
11-21-2002, 12:12 PM
Deadlifts:

585 x 1 (!), 405 x 1

Holy friggin' f*cking sh*t. :eek::eek: Awesome strength B! Keep up the hard work man. This is truly inspiring. Six friggin' plates awesome work B, seriously. I just rack pulled 555 today and I was happy. I cant imagine what I would feel pulling 6 from the floor. Jesus.

hardbodygrl
11-21-2002, 12:15 PM

:( please be careful belial

Alex.V
11-21-2002, 12:52 PM
Mik and Anna... thank you both. :)

Craig- naw, no gallery this time. Thank god, way too stressful. i think some people turned around when I let out the air near the top, though. I think it sounded like somebody being tortured.

EC- Yeah she did. And she had a DAMN good workout, considering she wasn't feeling well. And thanks. I don't think you'd have to worry about pissing me off in the least. I'm so easy going. Unless people really get me mad. Like if they drive too slowly in front of me. Or look at me funny. Or breathe the wrong way.

just kiddin.

And don't you jump on the lack of oxygen bandwagon too. lol.

Monstar- mad props to you, man. 555 is a huge PR. We got different goals, bro.

And hbg... Good to see you around. ;) I will be careful, hon, I don't plan on doing that again. lol.

Saturday Fever
11-21-2002, 12:59 PM
Good lord. Did you start moshing or anything after hitting 585? I don't know that I could have controlled my excitement if it were me. I'd probably spend the next 4 days walking around like I was all that, too. But then, my maturity level is pretty low. :)

Pup
11-21-2002, 02:26 PM
*runs off to build Belial shrine*

MonStar
11-21-2002, 09:24 PM
I was wondering about your bf% B. What % are you at again, and are your abs completely visible? Is your midsection rockhard or whatever? I was just wondering B because you seem to be taking in a TON of calories each day.

WillKuenzel
11-21-2002, 10:55 PM
Awesome job B!

LOL! That statement completely cracked me up.

At my gym they announce over the intercom constantly to not drop the weights. They get upset when you drop the 50lbs DB's. I can't imagine what they would say if somebody dropped 585 on the floor. I intend to find out though.

Alex.V
11-23-2002, 01:28 PM
They get equally pissy. lol. Though, wait, they don't seem to mind when people drop the DBs.

Lightning fast chest day update.

Not a bad workout... haven't been taking the dex, but shoulder pain was minimal.

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 2, 340 x 1 (!), 315 x 2, 225 x 7/8?

Excellent. 340 was explosive as hell. My sticking point has moved up... bar speed and strength off the chest is excellent, but around 5" up, strength decreases. lol. Ah well.

6" ROM lockouts.

405 x 1, 495 x miss x 2

The bar was floating. lol. Couldn't quite get it up, though. Problem is really my wrists, I think. Pain there sorta stops me from pushing it. These done with a close grip.

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 8, 155 x 10

Very fast, very strong. Pleased.

DB flyes:

75 x 8, 75 x 10

Something like that. Also very good.

One-handed pushdowns:

120 x 10, 120 x 8, 110 x 8

Woo. Burn in the tri's.

DB front raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 8

These are so unexciting.