PDA

View Full Version : HEY, why not.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Just some girl
11-23-2002, 08:21 PM
damnit...sorry i missed seeing the 340! but i'll see the next increase, hopefully. :) good job. and kick ass work on the 6 plates the other day. truly awesome. :D

MonStar
11-24-2002, 12:52 AM
BB bench:

340 x 1 (!)

Awesome work here B, seriously. Keep up the hard work man. Very very impressive on the bench.

Alex.V
11-24-2002, 12:47 PM
Tanks foos. :)

Average leg day... Really dehydrated going into it... I realize this is a trend, but I have a tendency to skip on the water when I first wake up, and working out so early in the day doesn't give me much time to tank up. I should just keep a glass next to my bed and guzzle it the minute I wake up, before anything else.

Squats:

135 x 10 (ATF), 225 x 8 (ATF), 315 x 3 (ATF), 370 x 3, 370 x 3

Not too bad here... depth was good on most reps, wore a belt for the second set. My lower back is really feeling those deadlifts lately.

Semi-paused squats:

370 x 4/5?

Just long enough to unload in the bottom and drive up. Very tough. Again, it's the lower back that's failing.

SLDLs:

405 x 10, 405 x 12

Very strong, very deep. I figure since I won't be deadlifting this week (thanksgiving break), I may as well beat the crap outta my spinal erectors and give them 10 days to completely recover.

Leg press strip set (yes, again)

22 plates + 10lbs x 4
20 plates + 10lbs x 5
18 plates + 10lbs x 6
16 plates + 10lbs x 6
14 plates + 10lbs x 6
12 plates + 10lbs x 6
10 plates + 10lbs x 6
8 plates + 10lbs x 6

Damn. That's a lot. Didn't pass out, though. :D Quads were unbelievably pumped... and yes, I have a third party (andrea's) opinion saying that I've gotten some leg growth. Looking at them now, I'd agree. So I AM getting results here.

Machine calf raises.. full stack for 12, then 14. Full stretch.

Diet- Crap. Damn work.

Sleep- 6.5 hours.

So this guy tells me on shoulder day that I've gotten a lot bigger. Then this guy tells me today that I've gotten leaner. (smaller). Funny how having a shoulder pump makes you look big, and having all the blood go down to your quads makes you look small. lol.

And I'm spending the rest of the day doing work. Joy.

Just some girl
11-24-2002, 01:02 PM
yep. legs bigger. yep yep. and i was noticing while you were squatting that your delts look very very big. and im not talking about shoulder width here. your shoulders always look insanely wide. but your delts looked very...ok...i cant think of a better word, so...lumpy. but, like, good lumpy. just, they looked piled with muscle. so, yea. you're looking bigger all over.

oh, and just for the record, yes, B's abs are still highly visible. (cant let you leave monstar hangin like that, now can i? ;))

:D

the doc
11-24-2002, 01:15 PM
good work man!

Franco
11-24-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Belial
Leg press strip set (yes, again)

22 plates + 10lbs x 4
20 plates + 10lbs x 5
18 plates + 10lbs x 6
16 plates + 10lbs x 6
14 plates + 10lbs x 6
12 plates + 10lbs x 6
10 plates + 10lbs x 6
8 plates + 10lbs x 6

Damn. That's a lot. Didn't pass out, though. :D Quads were unbelievably pumped... and yes, I have a third party (andrea's) opinion saying that I've gotten some leg growth. Looking at them now, I'd agree. So I AM getting results here.

Pump for Belial!!!:D

Seriously though good job on the leg day:)

Alex.V
11-25-2002, 01:52 PM
Thanks y'all. Kinda uninspired, but...

Don't laugh at my pump, boy! :D

Alex.V
11-25-2002, 01:52 PM
Oh, and andrea. Thanks for the delt comment. :D

Relentless
11-25-2002, 04:28 PM

After just one shot at the Belial's Insane Stripset(tm) method of leg training, I found that I got some leg growth out of it. Most importantly, I felt that the middle bit and outer heads of my quad groups were coming out more and overall strength felt good

I skipped it last week just to give myself a rest and I'm looking forward to hammering the ol' quads again this week . . .

are you going to failure each set or just shooting for 6s, B?

Jane
11-25-2002, 05:16 PM
The strip set is amazing. My strength shoots up when I incorporate into training, one week stripset, one week regular. Fantastic. :thumbup:

Alex.V
11-26-2002, 12:14 AM
lol. I should charge royalties with advertising like this. :)

Cal.. the 6 reps are a struggle on each. I wouldn't necessarily say to failure, but the later sets do make me feel like I have nothing left when I push out the last rep or two.

Alex.V
11-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Rushed back day, really. Stayed up too late, woke up too late, and realized that all my back day equipment was in my car which was at the shop. So I dashed down there, returned the rental, then traipsed off to the gym.

I didn't really traipse. But it's a funny word.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 8, +45 x 16

No idea if that's a PR. Probably not. But I also forgot my xenadrine, and on 6 hours of sleep that's not much for getting me all charged up for the first few sets.

DB rows:

185 x 7/7, 165 x 8/8

Completely uninspired. Blargh.

Bi-angular row:

8 plates x 8, 8 plates x 9, 8 plates x 8

Second set I readjusted the seat, which seemed to help. Much stronger than usual, the drop sets have been doing wonders here. Whee.

Concentration curls with the 45's then 50's, cable curls with the full stack (all sets of 10), and a bunch of flexing in the mirror.

I didn't really flex in the mirror.

I was also extremely sociable today. I wished two people happy thanksgiving, and actually smiled a few times. I must have been tired.

Diet- Excellent.

Sleep- 6 hours.

That's about it. Next workout will be up in Cape Cod. Hopefully I'll be deadlifting on thanksgiving. :D

ectx
11-26-2002, 12:05 PM

I didn't really traipse. But it's a funny word.

Perhaps it was more of a perigrinate, or a galivant?

It amuses me that your uninspired workouts really aren't (uninspired...at least by human standards). Have a great Thanksgiving. I don't think you'll have a hard time reaching 5000 calories in Cape Cod.

hasta luego.

ps...stop flexing in the mirror! Narcisist.

Alex.V
11-28-2002, 10:57 AM
Nope, and it wasn't a problem yesterday either.

Kinda rough day yesterday... got up at 4:45 AM, and was supposed to get here at 11:30 yesterday morning. Didn't happen... missed my connecting flight by literally two minutes, because my first flight was sitting on the tarmac waiting for a gate while other planes de-iced...and had to sit in the airport for two hours for the next flight. That one kept getting delayed... finally at 2:45, after 4 hours of standing in a crowded corner of the airport, I hopped on a bus, and three hours later arrived here in the house. Diet was absolute crap, knees were sore, back was killing me.... so I decided to deadlift today, with not so shabby results.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 2, 405 x 2, 590 x 1 (!), 595 x miss.

Crappo. New gym, slippery bar, not enough time between sets... whole host of factors. But no excuses. I should have 595, and missing it was inexcuseable. I can't JUST make big PRs back in my comfort zone, dammit. But still... I'm happy with the 590, considering I wasn't even planning on deadlifting. Turned some heads, too. Like, all of them. That's always nice.

Hammer strength iso-lateral military press thingamabob:

280 x 10, 330 x 7, 280 x 8

Assuming the rig is 10 pounds. 3 plates per side, 3 plates + 25 per side, 3 plates per side. My left arm is definitely weaker here... but it's been AGES since I did any sort of military press motion. I have no idea if this is a decent weight or not... most likely no, but it's decent for me. Besides, the machine can only hold 4 plates per side to begin with, so I'm assuming it's decent. DOWN, ego. DOWN! Yes, I know. Just lift the weights.

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 10, 50 x 8

Not too bad, really.

Bent-over lateral raises:

40 x 8, 40 x 8

Deltoids were exhausted.

DB shrugs:

140x2 x 10, 140x2 12

Grip was the tough thing here.. very thick DB handles. But I liked these... a lot.

Some hanging leg raises to finish off... and that was it.

Diet- Double whopper with cheese, three glazed donuts, two almond joys, 3 pints of Sam Adams... YOU try eating clean when stuck in a crowded airport for 4 hours. But breakfast was good, as was dinner. So, plenty of calories, but dubious choices. Too much sodium as well. But I'll get plenty of calories today. Woot! :D

Sleep- 4 hours on tuesday night, 8 hours last night.

That's about it.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all. :)

Reinier
11-28-2002, 11:00 AM
590 lbs deadlift :) :) :)
thats 268 kilograms....
wow

Just some girl
11-28-2002, 11:48 AM
Damn, son. 590...thats ****ing awesome! :) congrats.

I have more comments, too. Wanna hear 'em? Huh huh huh? ...Lol.
1) nice food choices (not that mine have been pretty recently, but... ) i seriously woulda like to see that. i just cannot imagine Alex of 2002 eating donuts. lol. i miss all the good stuff, dont i? hehe.
2) WHY DO YOU INSIST ON SAYING Y'ALL???? SNARDFGARLGE!

;)

good work out, kiddo. you are truly amazing

Mik
11-28-2002, 12:06 PM
590?! Holy s**t man, good job, you're gonna need bigger bars soon!

Franco
11-29-2002, 04:25 AM
Do you not feel that if you brought up your conventional, your sumo would dramatically improve?

Franjipani
11-29-2002, 05:04 AM
I'm happy with the 590, considering I wasn't even planning on deadlifting. Turned some heads, too. Like, all of them. That's always nice.

Nope, not shabby at all :eek: :eek: :eek:

Alex.V
11-29-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by FAngel
Do you not feel that if you brought up your conventional, your sumo would dramatically improve?

Nope.

Why would training a completely different motion, with different primary movers increase my deadlift?

Yes, I've read the articles. Rhetorical question. How is doing conventionals different from, say, SLDLs? (which I do)

Andrea, the donuts were amazing. And y'all is a cool word.

Thanks guys. :)

Saturday Fever
11-30-2002, 12:05 AM
590? Looks like the boycott continues. :)

Franco
11-30-2002, 03:42 AM
Al, take a look at latty as a prime example...

rookiebldr
11-30-2002, 06:00 AM
Hammer strength iso-lateral military press thingamabob:

280 x 10, 330 x 7, 280 x 8

Assuming the rig is 10 pounds. 3 plates per side, 3 plates + 25 per side, 3 plates per side. My left arm is definitely weaker here... but it's been AGES since I did any sort of military press motion. I have no idea if this is a decent weight or not... most likely no, but it's decent for me. Besides, the machine can only hold 4 plates per side to begin with, so I'm assuming it's decent. DOWN, ego. DOWN! Yes, I know. Just lift the weights.

Well, since no one else commented on these and not that you really need the ego boost, but YES I'd say that is decent on this machine.

Alex.V
11-30-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by FAngel
Al, take a look at latty as a prime example...

The boy's a freak, using a well-structured program that works extremely well for powerlifting. If he dropped conventional, would his sumo go down? He's equally good at both, I see correlation but no causality.

I'm not trying to be hardheaded or argumentative at all, mind you. :) I'm really looking for reasons why this may help. I don't feel anything different in a conventional than from my SLDLs (in terms of target muscle groups hit), so I don't see why it would pay to rotate them, especially given how uncomfortable conventionals are for my structure. What is the rationale? (i.e., this is a desperate plea for links. :) )

Thanks mang!

SF- 2 weeks.

Rookiebldr- is it? I don't really need the ego boost, I was just looking to see if anybody had any experience.... if it was in line with other lifts. (To see if my overhead pressing strength has decreased much since I dropped militaries)

Just some girl
11-30-2002, 10:30 AM
what is this boycott of which you speak?

the doc
11-30-2002, 10:34 AM
Kinda rough day yesterday... got up at 4:45 AM, and was supposed to get here at 11:30 yesterday morning. Didn't happen... missed my connecting flight by literally two minutes, because my first flight was sitting on the tarmac waiting for a gate while other planes de-iced...and had to sit in the airport for two hours for the next flight. That one kept getting delayed... finally at 2:45, after 4 hours of standing in a crowded corner of the airport, I hopped on a bus, and three hours later arrived here in the house. Diet was absolute crap, knees were sore, back was killing me.... so I decided to deadlift today, with not so shabby results.

lol!

so have you seen planes trains and automobiles?

Budiak
11-30-2002, 10:43 AM
'THOSE ARENT PILLOWS!!!!'

Followed closely by...

'Here's a tip, when you tell a story to someone, have a POINT. It makes it so much more enjoyable for the listener!'

Alex.V
11-30-2002, 12:52 PM
Heh. Yeah, I've seen it. And I'm trying to block out the memory.

Andrea- SF won't talk to me until I deadlift 600.

Average chest day.... didn't think I was going to make it to the gym today...

Stupid place doesn't allow chalk. I got away with it on deadlift day, but not today... so I didn't end up benching heavy. Stayed light, worked on form.

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 255 x 10

Easy enough. That's actually the most weight I've done for 10 reps, I believe.

Hammer strength chest press:

3 plates + 10 pounds per side (erm.... around 300 pounds) for two sets of 8 reps. Hardest part is getting that damn thing up in the start, since the handles are really further back than the front of my chest (so I'm pushing from a more extreme joint angle than I'd ever bench)

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 10, 155 x 10

Again, didn't want to increase without chalk.

DB flyes:

80 x 10, 75 x 10.

Woo. Exciting. Actually, my chest and triceps were already exhausted at this point.

One-handed tricep pushdowns:

100 x 8, 100 x 8

And that was it... except for two sets of front raises (probably redundant)

Diet- Wow. Terrible. :D Good amount of calories, but too low in protein, honestly.

Sleep- 9 hours. :)

And that was the update.

the doc
11-30-2002, 12:54 PM
i used that hammer strength machine yesterday at my mom's gym. I like most everything about it but the fact you really do start in a weak position stretched back so far

Franco
11-30-2002, 02:31 PM

What is the rationale? (i.e., this is a desperate plea for links. :) )

Thanks mang!

Apart from circumstantial video evidence, I don't really posses any articles related to the matter. Leave it with me though...

rookiebldr
11-30-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by the doc
i used that hammer strength machine yesterday at my mom's gym. I like most everything about it but the fact you really do start in a weak position stretched back so far

We have one of these in our gym as well, which I have just taken to using again. I generally see people place a 25 or 25+5 stacked under the arms supports to lift it up higher. I usually kick them then out of the way - I'm a lot smaller. I don't know if this would help both of you. It does raise the handles up so that you don't need to stretch has much.

Rookiebldr- is it? I don't really need the ego boost, I was just looking to see if anybody had any experience.... if it was in line with other lifts. (To see if my overhead pressing strength has decreased much since I dropped militaries)

I'd still say yes, however, I can't really comment if it is better than your previous overhead pressing via militaries. I will make the following observations though and maybe you can judge for yourself.

1) I find that this machine gives me a 1.5 - 2x my DB pressing strength. And if I remember correctly (without searching my journal) it was a 20 - 30% increase over BB militaries. I will of course qualify my statement with the fact that I really haven't done much with militaries. A few workouts of trying militaries may make the comparison next to invalid. I wasn't using good form on the militaries and I really never got the hang of the exercise. And with no spotter, I was usually concerned with breaking something. This machine definitely helps keeps my form in check and I find I don't need to worry about hurting myself.

2) Since it only holds 4 plates, I'd say your getting close to the top of the weight it's designed to hold.

3) I've seen only 1 or 2 people at my gym place 3 plates per side. I've never seen anyone place 3+change let alone 4. I tend to go to the gym when it's not that busy so maybe I just miss the larger or stronger mofos. Since our db's only go up to the 100s, maybe we don't attract the stronger guys to our gym.

I would be surprised if no one else here has used this machine and couldn't offer more info. I know B&I was using this machine prior to his current classified routine.

MonStar
11-30-2002, 11:57 PM
Stupid place doesn't allow chalk. I got away with it on deadlift day, but not today... so I didn't end up benching heavy. Stayed light, worked on form.

You use a lotta chalk on bench presses? Why may I ask? Does your bar slip or something? Maybe I should start doing this..

Silverback
12-01-2002, 04:51 AM
"135 x 10, 225 x 10, 255 x 10

Easy enough. That's actually the most weight I've done for 10 reps, I believe"

Got to love your coolness:cool:

Nice workout, you load up the flyes well, i have trouble with the flyes, something to do with my arm length i think, if i go over a certain weight i cant get a full contraction.

keep up the good work, the 600lb deadlift is just around the corner then it will be the 700lb one:D

ectx
12-01-2002, 06:21 PM

And y'all is a cool word.

Yes it is...and it's actually more of a contraction...and you're not a real southerner...so stop stealing our colloquialisms, Jersey boy.

BTW, your lifts are so sweet they annoy me, and yes, that's a compliment. :D
oops, where'd that emoticon pop out from?

Reinier
12-02-2002, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by MonStar

You use a lotta chalk on bench presses? Why may I ask? Does your bar slip or something? Maybe I should start doing this..

WannaBeBelial.com?:D

The Calvinator
12-02-2002, 08:56 AM
Do you have the Hammer Strength wide chest machine at your gym? Its a lot more comfortable than the flat bench machine and easier to get that initial push off. Plus it looks cool when you have 5 plates on a side.

Alex.V
12-03-2002, 10:48 AM
Naw man, my gym here doesn't really have much in the ways of hammer strength equipment. Ah well.

I'll get to comments when I get back, but right now, lightning fast update!

Back day:

Still taking it easy.. diet and sleep have been off the last week, so I'm not trying to push it.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 8 (!), +45 x 15

Not too bad. The 90 felt fairly easy... but on the down side, looking at myself in the mirror, I looked depleted as hell. Kinda killed the motivation. You know, when the weight is just a little harder to lift than you expect it to be? And that reserve just isn't there?

DB rows:

185 x 10/10, 165 x 9/9

Bleh. Exciting.

BB rows:

295 x 10, 325 x 9 (!)

I do BELIEVE this is a PR...

Used a bit too much momentum on reps 9 and 10... decided to count them as one. lol.

Finished up with concentration curls and hammer curls. Woot!

Diet- too low in calories, period.

Sleep- 6.5 hours.

Get diet and sleep in order, fool! Had a test yesterday, have another in less than an hour... after this one's done, things should be back to normal.

Thas' it.

MonStar
12-03-2002, 11:55 AM
BB rows:

295 x 10, 325 x 9 (!)

Insane friggin' BB rowing strength on both of these sets B, crazy. Keep up the hard work man.

Alex.V
12-03-2002, 01:44 PM
okay. Test done.

Oh, I so made it my bitch. I was like, I got the first page and was like "shiiit, this be easy". So I tore up that mother****er, and after an hour I was like "What are you, bitch?" and it was like "Oh Alex, you da man, you're soooo good". I was like "That's ****ing right, you dirty ho". So I rode that piece of ass through and was done in 1:15 flat. Word.

Damn straight.

Anyway,

Franco, still waiting on that. Does elitefts have any articles on that particular topic? Why am I asking. I guess I'll go look.

rookiebldr, that's good to hear. It means I haven't lost much strength...not that it truly matters. I doubt I'll ever be able to do overhead presses again. :( I'll go find B&I...

Big Ron, how you doing the flyes? I got decently long arms and it's not really a problem..

ec, Fine. I knew somebody would catch that. Since when does one use "contraction" in a conversation, though? See, I like to keep my speech relatively simple. Simple mind, simple speech. Verstehst du?

Chris Rodgers
12-03-2002, 04:01 PM
What kind of test was this? Sobriety? ;)

ectx
12-03-2002, 05:24 PM

ec, Fine. I knew somebody would catch that. Since when does one use "contraction" in a conversation, though? See, I like to keep my speech relatively simple. Simple mind, simple speech. Verstehst du?

Ja ich. You’re a paradox, though. One minute you’re making that test your “ho”, the next you’re a “simple mind”?!?! Face it, you’re a hoity-toity smarty pants. From this point on that's what I'll call you: smarty pants.

BennettBoy
12-04-2002, 08:00 PM
okay. Test done.

Oh, I so made it my bitch. I was like, I got the first page and was like "shiiit, this be easy". So I tore up that mother****er, and after an hour I was like "What are you, bitch?" and it was like "Oh Alex, you da man, you're soooo good". I was like "That's ****ing right, you dirty ho". So I rode that piece of ass through and was done in 1:15 flat. Word.

Damn straight.

This is funny stuff B. I like that side of you better than the side that is quick and to the point. :D

Alex.V
12-06-2002, 11:20 AM
lol. Thanks man... the quick and to the point side tends to take over right after my workouts, though. I'm still jittery from today's....

Ice storm down here, my apartment has been without power, so I've been crashing at andrea's.

But today was a good workout! It also marks the end of my current heavy deadlifting cycle, since I'm noticing a few problems.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 2, 600 x 1 (!)

I was totally planning on a victory dance afterwards. But instead I saw spots and decided to sit down. Too bad the gym was empty, I coulda used at least a pat on the back. :(

Just kidding.

Problems: Bar speed off the ground is slow. Form is starting to suffer (uncertain foot placement). Lower back is starting to bother me. Slight abdominal strain that's not going away. It's time to back off... I'll still be deadlifting somewhat heavy, but I'll be mixing it up, going up to mid-5's, then back down to low to mid 4's for reps. Time to focus on my bench!

But damn.. I'm psyched. Next heavy dead cycle, I'll be shooting straight up to 3x bw, I hope.

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 10, 50 x 10

Woo.

40 x 10, 40 x 10

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 10, 110x2 x 12

Calf raises:

stack x 12, stack x 12

Notice I had nothing to say about any of these. I wasn't really paying attention while doing them, I was still on a high (and completely exhausted).

Did I mention 600 :D?

Anyway, I wish we had power, because this was really my weekend to relax before hard-core studying next week. God damn it.

Diet- Pretty damn good.

Sleep- 8 broken hours last night. dammit.

That's about it.

Savannah
12-06-2002, 11:34 AM
Way to go Muchacho!:D

Santiago
12-06-2002, 12:23 PM
I already congratulated you in comp forum, so here's your help....start using the 35 plates on your next cycle and focus on speed singles.....We both seem to have the same weakness, off the floor, and this came through huge for me...If you're feeling crazy you can also pick up a set of bands (minis would work). I guarantee after this you won't be slow, or weak off the floor, when you go back to the 45's without bands. A little conventional pulling won't hurt either.

the doc
12-06-2002, 01:05 PM
congrats!

fuzz
12-06-2002, 01:50 PM
Deadlifts:

Wow. Huge congrats from me. I can only dream of pulling such huge weight. What is your weight at, now? How close are you to 3x bw?

Also, what kinda total do you have as far as powerlifting? Are your lifts pretty much up to regulation specs?

Alex.V
12-06-2002, 04:47 PM
Santiago, that's exactly what I may do. Time to give the joints/tendons a rest, and do some speed/form/weak point work.

Fuzz, I'm right around 225, so I'm still a ways off. My squat is weak due to flexibility, so my total ain't great, but now that my shoulder is better my bench should be respectable come february.

Silverback
12-06-2002, 04:50 PM
Great work on the PR for deads, your truly step-by-step becoming a BB God:)

"I was totally planning on a victory dance afterwards. But instead I saw spots and decided to sit down. Too bad the gym was empty, I coulda used at least a pat on the back".

lol, i can just imagine it, thats what i look to do when i set pr's.

Keep up the good work, so whats next?

Alex.V
12-06-2002, 04:54 PM
lol. Not yet. Still got a few big guys on this board outlifting me quite nicely.

Next... 405 bench!

Then, triple bodyweight dead.

Then, I dunno. Maybe some sort of respectable squat. lol.

Silverback
12-06-2002, 05:03 PM
i'm serious man, you are an inspiration to all, the goals you have set are well within your sights, your doing everything right. And you'll have no problem in easing past 405 bench and 600 dead.

B-R

Franjipani
12-06-2002, 06:09 PM

:eek: :eek:

*gives Belial a super pat on back*

Well done champ:thumbup:

The Calvinator
12-06-2002, 06:22 PM
Don't you hate it when you do the stack for reps?? I do it on calves also and I usually wear a dip belt and add weights that way or I will get anotehr pin and plug in another plate. just an idea for ya.
So whena re you trying 405 on bench?? I noticed it was next...
good luck with that, I'll be watching.;)
and congrats on tha 6-hundo:thumbup:

ectx
12-06-2002, 07:02 PM
Freaking fantastic deadlift, Smarty Pants.

Pup
12-06-2002, 07:36 PM
Great pulling bro, that 405 bench is not far off, its good to see that you know your body well enough to not push for a 615 or 620 dead and give your low back some time to rest...well done :)

Just some girl
12-06-2002, 07:45 PM
damn im sad i missed this one. i didnt even know you were planning on doing it, but then my nose was buried (sorta unsuccessfuly) in my projects. :D lalala...:(

anyway, congrats! Thats absolutely amazing. Especially since your sleep probably wasnt totally quality last night since i had the light on all night to cut and paste by. lol. anyway, good work, you. ;) *pats alex on back*

MonStar
12-06-2002, 11:22 PM
Deadlifts:

600 x 1 (!)

:eek::eek: Awesome strength here B, truly amazing. Keep up the hard work man. By the way I find it very interesting that you focus on one exercise at a time. For example you went through a heavy deadlift cycle and then youll move onto a heavy bench cycle. Just interesting. Seems to really work best this way if you ask me. Great work man! I would love to rack dead 600, LOL.

Saturday Fever
12-06-2002, 11:27 PM
Finally, the boycott ends! Awesome pull. I suppose you've earned some slack so I won't set any deadlines for the '700 deadlift boycott' :)

Alex.V
12-07-2002, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys, the positive feedback means more than you could know.

SF, glad I hit that before backing off, otherwise god knows when we'd be on speaking terms again. lol.

Calvinator- Eh, yeah, it's a pain to do the whole stack, but keeping the reps slow and deep still make it a halfway decent exercise. And the 405 bench... we'll see. Today's workout was good, and barring injury... you'll still reach it first, but I promise I won't be far behind. lol.

Monstar- getting psyched for a lift is kind of a fun prospect.. you get excited about it the day before, and really begin to make sure everything is perfect the night before the workout. Sleep, food, supps.. everything should be right on. This is hard to do every single day, but it gives something for my workouts to center around. And yeah, I've noticed the progress on the target lift is always much better.

So... without further ado.

Good chest workout. Much better than expected, actually. Had room to spare on almost every single set, which was surprising.

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 3, 315 x 2, 345 x 1 (!), 275 x 1, 225 x 16.

I know that's a lot of benching. But hey, I like benching. Besides, 275 didn't even feel like a work set. So that's 3 warm ups, essentially 3 heavy sets, then one speed set. And 225 WAS a speed set. I couldn't believe how light the bar felt or how quickly it moved. But when I failed here, I failed HARD. lol. The bar was flying up and down, and then... it wasn't. Form was perfect on every rep, though.

345 had some room to spare as well, which was surprising considering I didn't take much time after the 315 double.

Seated skullcrushers:

165 x 9 (!), 155 x 10

Again, plenty to spare, and excellent speed.

DB flyes:

70 x 10, 70 x 10

Form was good. Arms were much further out than usual, but the lighter weight gave my shoulders a break.

V-bar (cable) pushdowns

245 x 10, 245 x 8.. drop to 200 x 12

Triceps wiped out at this point. Which was too bad, because I was still bursting with energy.

Front raises:

45 x 10, 50 x 10

Exciting. Didn't know what else to do with myself so I went home.

Still no power, btw.

Diet- Too low in calories, but not bad all things considered.

Sleep- 8+ hours.

That's about it, yo.

Jane
12-07-2002, 01:22 PM

Exciting. Didn't know what else to do with myself so I went home.

LOL.

I just imagined you bumbling around the gym, looking wistfully at the equipment, walking in circles for a bit and then leaving with the look of a lost puppy.

the doc
12-07-2002, 01:23 PM
bench jockey :p

Alex.V
12-07-2002, 01:34 PM
lol. So accurate, jane. I should have taken that time and made some new friends.

And doc.. what of it? I almost wore a beater today, btw.

Silverback
12-07-2002, 01:53 PM
lol. So accurate, jane. I should have taken that time and made some new friends.

And doc.. what of it? I almost wore a beater today, btw.

lol, beaters rule! although not so much in winter unless ur Ronnie Coleman:)

Great bench work chief, the 345x1 was especially sweet, btw do you have a spotter? i sure hope so.

MonStar
12-08-2002, 01:49 AM
Belial:

Awesome benching man! 345x1 is great, keep it up. Looking forward to 4 plates on each side. Curious though B what are you going to do with your deadlifts at this point? Now that you have done a full heavy cycle are you now going to completely back off of what? Curious. Because I am afraid that soon I am going to hit a wall with my rack deads.

Alex.V
12-08-2002, 04:55 PM
Hell yeah, always got a spotter when I go heavy on bench.

Monstar, I won't back off completely. Rather, I'll go a bit lighter on the deads, and focus on other lifts for the time being. Going to work on leg strength a great deal as well.

That being said:

Very good leg day, actually. Until the end. *retch*

Squats:

135 x 8 (ATF), 225 x 6 (ATF), 315 x 6, 375 x 3, 405 x 1, 315 x 3 (5 second pause)

405 woulda been legal anywhere, and wasn't difficult in the least. I'm liking the practice without knee wraps... and I've noticed a slight difference in my form without them. (Back when I was going heavy but cutting depth, I wore knee wraps.. I think my explosion out of the bottom suffered)

SLDLs:

405 x 8

Ouch. Deadlifting two days prior to these... not so great. lol. Going heavy on these can wait a while.

Leg press:

22 plates + 20 x 4
20 plates + 20 x 5
18 plates + 20 x 6
16 plates + 20 x 6
14 plates + 20 x 6
12 plates + 20 x 5
10 plates + 20 x 4

Tanked out. Had somebody on each side unloading, and... wow. When I get up and do one side, it may be physically exhausting/disorienting, but... when I have to support the stack the whole time, there's NO respite. My legs were absolutely on fire starting on the second set. I thought I was going to die.

I also felt sick for a good half hour after this. And had to keep pausing to settle my stomach on the walk back to the car.

I think I overdid it.

Calf raises:

Stack x 12, stack x 12

Not feeling these. Was dizzy/nauseous

Diet- excellent. Though too low in calories, dammit!

Sleep- 7.5 hours

I want my electricity back, dammit! The power dude said tomorrow.. heh. I shoulda kicked his ass, or at least stolen his nifty hard hat.

Silverback
12-08-2002, 05:03 PM
lovely workout B,

Some serious volume and intensity going on, never experienced the dizzyness thang with leg day, although ive been at the almost paralysed phase plenty :)

lol, at electricity dude, yeah u should of taken his hard hat and competed with bcc for the hot bod contest :D

keep it up

B-R

beastin v6
12-08-2002, 05:21 PM
Your workouts = :omg:

MonStar
12-09-2002, 12:16 AM
Yeah thats kind of what I am thinking about doing B. Putting more emphasis on my Pull session for example for a while and backing off a bit on my other bodyparts, etc. Maybe check out my thread in training about this.

Crazy leg session B!

Saturday Fever
12-09-2002, 11:57 AM
You could wear the haard hat at the gym. That would be cool, and original.

Alex.V
12-11-2002, 01:04 PM
Crikey, a few days without updates and I'm on page 2.

Big-Ron, the total volume may seem rather high, but the leg press IS a strip set. So it's not like I'm doing 10 sets to failure, with rest in between. ATP is already getting depleted by the third or fourth 'set', so I'm not really blasting it with everything I got.

Abbreviated back day.

We've got power back on, but I'm a leetle sick right now. Okay, a lot sick. F*cking power company had our power out for a whole week, and I spent two nights here in the 40 degree apartment. Joy.

*sniff*

*snort*

*spit*

So I skipped any sort of bent-over rowing motion... my head clogs up when I lie down, so leaning forward is a no-no. But I mixed it up a bit today, and feel fairly worked.

Showed a dude how to deadlift as well, so I can sleep happy tonight.

Pull-ups:

Bodyweight x 20, +45 x 10, +90 x 8, +90 x 6, +45 x 14

Not too bad. The bodyweight warm up felt nice and easy... I had plenty left, at least another 10 in me. Good lat contraction with minimal bicep engagement until the last set.

Bi-angular row strip set:

10 plates + 20 pounds x 1
10 plates x 1
8 plates x 8
6 plates x 8
4 plates x 10
2 plates x 12

Failed hard. lol. Nice, though. Biceps wiped out by the end, which wasn't good. I have to try to keep form strict throughout, dammit.

Concentration curls with the 45's (arms still sore)

Cable curls with full stack (200), for 3 sets of around 10 (lost count).

Diet- Been whacky over the last week... every night (pretty much) was two bacon cheeseburgers and a beer... during the day, various bars, bread, milk, etc. lol. But calories have been okay overall, as have macros.

Sleep- 6.5 hours last night. Woke up so congested I couldn't get back to sleep.

That's about it.

Silverback
12-11-2002, 01:16 PM
Good workout B,

It feels good when you guide someone at the gym doesn't it:) Ive shown some guy form for the 1-arm-row and he praised me for my tutoring (execution taken straight from M+F :) ) i was on a high all day.

The pull-ups were a real credit to ya, especially the +90x 8, thats some serious strength going on, the rest of the workout also looked tidy. Don't worry about the diet, we all lose consistency every now and again.

B-R

ectx
12-11-2002, 02:54 PM

We've got power back on, but I'm a leetle sick right now. Okay, a lot sick....

*snort*

*spit*

*gives antibiotics to all the li'l children*

Hope you get well soon.

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-11-2002, 05:25 PM
So you're still lifting those round metallic things i see.

MonStar
12-11-2002, 05:30 PM
B:

Nice back session man. How is your back responding to the layoff of going extremely heavy on chins?

When are you getting some pics up man? I mean most of us here at WBB have watched you get stronger, and stronger, and stronger. And your weight go up, and up, and up. But we still havnt seen your physique yet!

Alex.V
12-12-2002, 12:43 PM
Jeebus. 18 hours, and on page 2.

Monstar, my back's doing just fine. lol. Haven't taken measurements, really, but strength is still good and all my shirts are still rather tight under the arms. hehe. So I'm certainly not LOSING size.

Still sick today, and since I just worked my back and biceps hard yesterday (and my legs are still sore from sunday), it was a rough workout.

Shoulders/deadlifts.

Went light on the deads. I may go even lighter next week, and change these back to my sub-max single/double, followed by a higher rep set. I made good progress there without overtraining.

Deadlifts:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 4, 535 x 2

Easy. 535 was a little slow coming up the first time, though. As I figured. Too many maxes in the last few months... speed is sucking.

Seated DB press:

110's x 6 (!)

Not hard in the least, but my shoulder tweaked on the 6th rep, so I stopped. I figured I'd try these again since I did all right on the hammer strength military press. Picked up the 40's.. . felt fine. Picked up the 75's.. felt fine. Picked up the 90's... easy. So I went right on to the 110's. The kick up was a little sloppy (it's been well over half a year since I've even tried these), but there was power to spare getting them up. Like I said, on the last rep my form broke down just a TINY bit, and that was enough to cause me some pain.

I may not do these again for another 6 months. :( I kinda wish I could, since I seem to have decent strength in them.

Ah well.

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 10, 50 x 10

whee.

40 x 10, 40 x 10

This girl was staring at my ass the ENTIRE time. She saw me looking in the mirror, looked embarassed, then smiled. I'm not a piece of meat!

Okay, yes I am. At least she was hot.

Women are pigs, though.

lol.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 10, 110x2 x 10

One of the guys there remarked that it looked a little funny for me to be shrugging the same weight I was overhead pressing.
....I just shrugged

bada bing.

Finished off with hanging leg raises from the pull up bar.

Diet- Pretty damn good, thanks.

Sleep- 6.2832 hours. (That's 2 pi for you math folk). Still can't get back to sleep when all stuffy nosed.

And that's it.

MonStar
12-12-2002, 12:46 PM
Good workout B, nice to see you backing off a bit on deadlifts. My guess would be that you would burnout continually maxing week after week after week after week.

Seated DB press:

110's x 6 (!)

Damn nice strength here man! Impressive as hell. Shame you wont be doing these regularly. Hard to believe that you can OH press more than I can flat DB press. What a friggin' shame.

The Calvinator
12-12-2002, 12:48 PM
She was staring at you because you were doing 45 x 10 on the side shoulder raises!!!! nice shoulder strenght man. I know you said that your shoulder press strength was comparable to your chest pressing strength. I am the same way, usually about 10lbs. down from incline db's to shoulder press.
I think you should have talked to the hottie and asked her for some cardio!!!! yeah yeah!!!!!

Alex.V
12-12-2002, 12:48 PM
Definitely noticing some burnout, mike. The same fire just isn't there when I think about doing them. That's pretty much what happened after I hit 550... I was just sick of deadlifting, and backing off was the best thing I coulda done. If I had kept trying to max back then, I'd probably still be stuck around there.

And yeah, it's a biatch about the presses. The lateral raises are certainly giving me SOME shoulder development, but given my current chest/shoulders/tricep emphasis, I would like to be able to incorporate these somehow. It's just not meant to be.

Your overhead press is proportional to your bench, though. So no worries about an imbalance. :)

IceRgrrl
12-12-2002, 12:53 PM

Women are pigs, though.

lol.

Shhhhh...don't let that little secret out to everyone now tuttut

Glad to hear that you're back in your apartment but sorry to hear that you're sick...it all catches up to you at the end of the semester when you get run down.

Oh, and I did so appreciate that 2 pi thing for the math folks :D

MonStar
12-12-2002, 12:54 PM
Yeah that all makes perfect sense to me B. Strange how burnouts even occur if you ask me. You would think that doing heavy singles again and again and again would cause you to hit a plateau. And then at that point you could simply use a barrier-breaking technique to bust through it. Just continue to add on weight. Shame that our bodies cannot take that kind of punishment. I am thinking about backing off on squats a good bit for a while while I focus on upping my deadlift. So well see what happens.

My bench also I am going to be doing a heavy cycle and even with that I am thinking about backing off once I start to stagnate. Well see what happens. Maybe back off and just focus on some speed work and paused sets. Things of that nature.

Alex.V
12-12-2002, 12:57 PM
lol calvinator. Honestly, after deadlifting (and too much ephedrine), that's really the last thing on my mind. All primal urges except the one for sleep get suppressed. lol. But... yes, shoulder strength is comparable... which is why my incline bench is fairly close to my flat. You seem to notice this too, eh?

And I'd still think it was my ass. It's large and in charge. And hard to miss. So during bent-over lateral raises, it more or less eclipses the DB racks. I guess I couldn't blame anybody.

lol.

.... and Icer posted in my journal.

I think... I think... I'm going to.... faint......

*thud*

IceRgrrl
12-12-2002, 01:10 PM
Gee, I didn't know I had that sort of effect on you :D Maybe I'd better go away *runs and hides*

Alex.V
12-12-2002, 01:13 PM
You're just too much for me to handle.

IceRgrrl
12-12-2002, 01:37 PM
I'm glad you're man enough to finally admit it :D

(okay, I'll stop degenerating in your journal...the adulation/congratulation/worship/toadying may resume)

Alex.V
12-12-2002, 01:47 PM
:omg:

nailed.

IceRgrrl
12-12-2002, 01:48 PM
Yeah, but you loved it!

(Sorry, couldn't resist one more comment :D)

Alex.V
12-12-2002, 01:53 PM
LMAO.

Nicely done. :D

(The comment, not the.... ugh. Mind out of the gutter)

the doc
12-12-2002, 02:39 PM
toadying?

:scratch:

Relentless
12-12-2002, 02:47 PM
toadying?

:scratch:

Well, not me, not anymore.

I'm tearing up my membership card to the Belial Fan Club(tm) and returning the decoder ring and miniature action figure with Deadlift Action(tm) ability.

I'm keeping the plush toy though.

Alex.V
12-12-2002, 02:49 PM
:cry:

Was it because of your "request" last week? Cal, I'm sorry man, but I don't swing that way.

Relentless
12-12-2002, 02:50 PM
I think that a request that you stop sending me lewd photos of yourself dressed as some kind of pornographic teletubby is quite reasonable.

Once again, stop it or you'll hear from my lawyer.
If that doesn't work you'll hear from my ninja.

:ninja:

ectx
12-12-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Callahan

Well, not me, not anymore.

I'm tearing up my membership card to the Belial Fan Club(tm) and returning the decoder ring and miniature action figure with Deadlift Action(tm) ability.

I'm keeping the plush toy though.

You got a decoder ring, action figure and plush toy?!?!?! All I got was a membership card. Give me my money back dammit!

ElPietro
12-12-2002, 03:29 PM
Don't forget to mop up on your way out boys!

Alex.V
12-12-2002, 11:30 PM
Okay, enough silliness.

WillKuenzel
12-13-2002, 12:01 AM
DB shrugs:

110x2 x 10, 110x2 x 10

One of the guys there remarked that it looked a little funny for me to be shrugging the same weight I was overhead pressing.
....I just shrugged

bada bing.
I know its a little late but... LMAO. What can I say, I'm easily amused.

xraygirl
12-13-2002, 12:10 AM
Yeah, that was kinda funny.

Silverback
12-13-2002, 04:31 PM
Just thought id let you know b that your dead record is on the same level as BB Tito Raymond.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/mf/weider/sponsor/muscletech/t_raymond.html

congrats, tito is ace and you are on the same level of greatness, just have to get a contract with weider and cell-tech then your sorted :)

rookiebldr
12-13-2002, 10:16 PM
Showed a dude how to deadlift as well, so I can sleep happy tonight.

Just got back to looking in here. If this is all you need to sleep happy then you can show me anytime.

lol, must be the season for silliness.

Alex.V
12-14-2002, 03:09 PM
Eh, it was HILARIOUS!

Ron, lol, I'd never seen that before. Tito's certainly much lighter than I am, though. So his is more impressive, I'd say. But thanks anyway, much appreciated. ;)

Rookie, it'd be my pleasure. mmm, deadlifts!

Chest day:

Not so great... I've been sick the last few days, and strength was not its finest. No shoulder problems, though, which was very good.

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 275 x 2, 315 x 1, 350 x 1, 315 x 1, 225 x 15

350 had assist through the sticking, andrea said maybe 5 pounds. Afterwards, I could gotten it. Problem was in the set up. There was bar wobble at the top, and in correcting it my groove got thrown out and I went too high on the chest. Damn damn damn. Next week it's mine. I know I can handle that weight.

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 8, 175 x 7 (!)

Dunno where these came from. :D

DB flyes:

75 x 10, 75 x 10

Felt decent.. again, light weight, nice and slow, no shoulder problems.

V-bar pushdowns:

245 x 10, 245 x 10

Didn't push it too much here, my triceps were trashed already.

DB front raises, 45's then 50's.

That was it. I need food, I need sleep, I need health. Exams are done, though! :)

Diet- pretty good.

Sleep- 8 hours, broken up a little.

That's it!

the doc
12-14-2002, 03:28 PM
another semester bites the dust...lol

MonStar
12-14-2002, 03:29 PM
BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 275 x 2, 315 x 1, 350 x 1, 315 x 1, 225 x 15

Seated skullcrushers:

155 x 8, 175 x 7 (!)

Awesome strength here B. Really impressive. Thats going to be friggin' nuts if you get 350 for a single. Impressive man, keep up the hard work. Looking forward to next Saturday's chest session.

Nice skulls too man! What kind of hand spacing are you using on the skulls? And do you do them in the power rack or are you lifting the weight above your head?

Silverback
12-15-2002, 09:25 AM
word,

the bench work was out outstanding, respect :)

as for tito well ive been a big fan of his for a while now and alright he may be lighter than you but 600lbs is nothing to be sniffed at. keep up the good work.

peace

Alex.V
12-15-2002, 12:33 PM
Monstar, I'm using the inner grip on the ez curl bar. I do it sitting on a flat (no back) bench. I clean and jerky the weight up, step back, and sit down. And I'm PISSED about not quite getting that 350. lol.

Ron, you know I saw the dude? Venice Gold's. Both days I went in there to work out. :)

Silverback
12-15-2002, 02:00 PM
omg, seriously? thats amazing :) did you get a chance to speak to him?

Only pro ive ever met is Ernie Taylor but it was deffinately worth it, i was in awe of him and after talking i was on a week long high:)

Hoping to meet a few more next year; ive got planned either the Rome Invertational (March 29), Austrian Open (April 12). One or the other, cant wait.

What did it feel like training at 'golds' its been my dream to train there ever since i started lifting.

out B-R

The Calvinator
12-16-2002, 11:58 AM
Nice job on chest, jerky... i figured i would come check out how your chest is doing since i am out of comission on chest for about 2 weeks, 5 weeks total.. but i still plan to get to 405, but not til beginning of may now. i guess we will see what happens, good luck!

The Calvinator
12-16-2002, 12:02 PM
Goin' back home then?? My finals are over too, thank god...
where is home by the way?

Alex.V
12-16-2002, 01:41 PM
Calvinator, we'll probably be hitting it around the same time, then. You're giving me time to catch up! ;)

Home's up in jersey or cape cod, depending where we choose to spend xmas. Either way, I won't be heading up until the end of this week, though.

Ron- No, I didn't get the chance to talk to him, he was training some chick both times. It was pretty cool working out there. Did see a few names... Raymond, Tom Prince, Monica Brandt.. a few others who I can't think of at the moment. Interesting place, but too many distractions to really get my lift on. lol.

Leg day:

Not too bad... still sick, dammit. But I think I'm moving this day to monday for the time being, reflecting a move away from the deads. More rest days before squatting and fewer before deadlifting should give me a slightly better leg workout, and bracketing my chest day with rest days should help out my progress there a little.

Squats:

135 x 10 (ATF), 225 x 10 (ATF), 315 x 4, 405 x 1, 425 x 1, 435 x 1

All to legal depth. Nothing hugely exciting, just keeping the flexibility there.

Something a little different:

Power cleans/overhead squats:

135 x 3+3, 185 x 3+3, 225 x 5+5

That's poundage times number of power cleans, followed by a push press, then number of overhead squats.

225 flew up damn near easy each time, which was surprising. And balancing it overhead was no problem.

These attract strange looks. But I'm happy my balance was good.

SLDLs:

405 x 10, 405 x 8

Whee. Rah.

Leg press strip set.

Something different again. A slight rest/reset between sets, more poundage, and stopping sooner. The idea here was to curb the nausea, and reach muscular failure before overwhelming fatigue set in. Mixed results. I still feel like I'm going to puke.

22 plates + 30 lbs x 4
20 plates + 30 lbs x 6
18 plates + 30 lbs x 6
16 plates + 30 lbs x 6
14 plates + 30 lbs x 6
12 plates + 30 lbs x 5
10 plates + 30 lbs x 4

Almost failed. And lay there for two minutes.

Stood up, got some water, everything went dark, sat down for another five. I may alternate weeks with these now. It's too much for me to handle, it's almost negative anticipation knowing how destroyed I'll feel after them.

Calf raises on machine, full stack for 2 sets of 15.

Diet- Not bad at all.

Sleep- 8.5 hours.

That's about it!

IceRgrrl
12-16-2002, 02:31 PM
Nice workout :) How did you like the power cleans? Did I inspire you?

And I just want to note that I have been quoted out of context...though I fully appreciate the honor of appearing in your famous sig :p

Alex.V
12-16-2002, 02:45 PM
Loved the power cleans... if I can do something about my form, I might just keep them in.

And that was NOT out of context. You said it, didn't you? :)

Relentless
12-16-2002, 02:49 PM
It's too much for me to handle, it's almost negative anticipation knowing how destroyed I'll feel after them.

LOL!

I know exactly what you mean. Last time I did 'em, I was about to start my first set @ 18 plates and I was thinking to myself, "You're completely insane, you know . . ."

I had to start the reps fast, before I lost my nerve and talked myself out of it.

Every 2nd week is just about right for these I think . . .

Steve Williams
12-16-2002, 09:11 PM
I hear you Callahan

Steve

McBain
12-17-2002, 08:05 AM
Belial after getting an email from elite (i was bored so i actually read it haha) it got me wondering, have you ever considered strongman stuff?

Alex.V
12-17-2002, 01:29 PM
Cal, you know, every other week sounds great... but then leg day rolls around and I get the crazy desire to push it further. And then I end up close to puking again. lol.

McBain...

Naw. I dunno, it sounds like fun, but I don't see myself ever really getting into it seriously.

Back/biceps. And what a curl jockey workout it became. Still sick, btw. :mad:

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 8

Nothing terribly exciting here. Not really pushing these at the moment.

DB rows:

185 x 8/8, 165 x 9/8

Dunno why the left side seemed to drop out in strength. Bleh. Could be a form issue, now that I think about it.

Barbell rows:

225 x 10, 315 x 8, 275 x 8

These were more like it. Good form, excellent strength. 225 felt like 135, I stopped because 10 seemed like a good place to end the set. T'was a warm up, but felt light enough that I should probably warm up around 255.

And now...... *drum roll*

BICEPS!

Concentration curls!:

50's x 10, 45's x 10

Barbell curls!:

135 x 6, 115 x 8

Hammer curls!:

65's x 10, 60's x 10

Cable curls!:

200 x 7, 200 x f*ck that I'm going home.

And that was my workout. My gunz are fookin pumped.

Or something.

Diet- Good! Too low in calories! EAT MORE.

Sleep- 8 hours.

And that's about it.

galileo
12-17-2002, 01:43 PM
Let Dr. Galileo help! Eat 10 ghetto-burgers and call me in the morning.

YAHOO! There it is!

MonStar
12-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Barbell curls!:

135 x 6, 115 x 8

DAMN man. 135 for 6 on BB curls? Crazy BB curl strength man, I didnt realize how strong your biceps really were. 50s on concentration curls is awesome too man. Keep it up B. Great arm strength.

ectx
12-17-2002, 04:02 PM

DB rows:

185 x 8/8, 165 x 9/8

Are you using the plate loading dumb bells Andrea got you? Does grip ever become an issue for you? I can't imagine gripping 185 lbs with one hand and keeping it steady.

galileo
12-17-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by ectx

Are you using the plate loading dumb bells Andrea got you? Does grip ever become an issue for you? I can't imagine gripping 185 lbs with one hand and keeping it steady.

I concur.

Alex.V
12-17-2002, 10:31 PM
Yep, I use the dumbbell handle. And I do use straps on the heavy set. :) No other way around it.

WillKuenzel
12-17-2002, 11:07 PM
200 x f*ck that I'm going home
LMAO, that just really struck me a funny.

All that and still sick? Jeez, you're a machine. Get to feeling better.

Alex.V
12-18-2002, 12:29 AM
ARGH! I can't believe I forgot to mention. First thing I did in my workout:

One handed pull-up:

Right side: 1
Left side: 0

lol.

That is all. I was psyched, and I can't believe I forgot.

BCC
12-18-2002, 12:46 AM
You dork

Alex.V
12-18-2002, 12:51 AM
Guilty.

galileo
12-18-2002, 07:02 AM
A one-handed chinup is teh ace.

You're still a dork.

The Calvinator
12-18-2002, 07:39 AM
if it makes you feel better, one of my friends did 6 one arm pull ups the other day after his back workout.... and yes, i hate him.
and your still a beast, ever try 185 on BB curls??

GeneticallyGifted
12-18-2002, 08:51 AM
Belial, this strength you got there is simply ridiculous. I mean "225 felt like 135 and you should probably be warming up with 255,"well DAMN make me feel minute. Incredible strength.

Quick question are you ever going to compete in a show or have you? Have you ever thought about it? Or your just gonna tell this working out thing is simply for pure pleasure, right?

G'd Up

galileo
12-18-2002, 09:31 AM
I see a lot of people do cheating one-handed pullups. They'll grab there wrist with their free hand and use it to pull with as well. I was impressed to see one dude put his hand on his opposite shoulder and pull strictly with one arm. That's pretty decent strength.

fuzz
12-18-2002, 09:50 AM
Hey B,

When are you posting pics? I've skimmed through almost your entire journal and I see plenty of promises, yet no postings. Lets get the JPG's up man!@#$# :windup:

Alex.V
12-18-2002, 10:48 AM
Calvinator- That's damn impressive. lol. AFTER a back workout? What's this dude built like?

It was weird doing it, I don't have any technique and was swinging all over the place, and had my other arm just dangling. How did he do them? My problem was balance, I think, even worse on the left side. I may try them again in two weeks, after a warm up and see if I can do a few more. Might strap 'em, too. And no, never tried big weight on BB curls. In fact, haven't done BB curls in ages, this was an abberation. ;)

G^2, thanks mang. Back's always been strong. I'm actually considering competeing now... possibly late spring early summer? I gotta see how much progress I can make between now and then, though. Still wanna compete in powerlifting, but I need to see if I can bring up certain muscle groups that I think are still lagging. (arms, chest)

Fuzz, not you too! lol. My problem is, I feel flat in the morning and bloated at night... I need to get somebody to take a few right after a workout. I've promised that I'd have some after this bulk. As soon as the scale says 230, the camera comes out. And y'all can hold me to that.

GeneticallyGifted
12-18-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by fuzz
Hey B,

When are you posting pics? I've skimmed through almost your entire journal and I see plenty of promises, yet no postings. Lets get the JPG's up man!@#$# :windup:

Fuzz, let me tell you that there have been promises, request from tons of WBBers but Belial simply declines. So let me tell ya don't get your hopes up of seeing this beast. Its kinda like the LOCNESS MONSTER, or BIGFOOT or something. You know it exist but you never have seen it. ahahahahahaha...lol

G'd Up!

gino
12-18-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by GeneticallyGifted

...Its kinda like the LOCNESS MONSTER, or BIGFOOT or something. You know it exist but you never have seen it.

G'd Up!

...or maybe it doesn't exist...

I'd sh!t my pants if belial was like 5'8" 120 and was just fuking with us lol

Alex.V
12-18-2002, 11:33 AM
SHHH! Gino!

:(

I bribe everyone I've met not to tell. Don't ruin it.

IceRgrrl
12-18-2002, 11:35 AM
Lizzie, if you make a personal request, the shy boy may oblige ;) He just doesn't do public appearances :p

ectx
12-18-2002, 12:33 PM
After extensive research I've concluded that Belial is an AI created by Cloughy to moderate the boards. Why else would he be on here at 3 am?

Congrats on the 1 armed chins. Impressive, even for an AI.

Just some girl
12-18-2002, 05:31 PM
LOL. shy. haha.

*walks away chuckling*

good workout, you. dunno how you can do it while sick. personally, I just wanna stay in bed all day. That or curl up and die. maybe ec is right...maybe you are a machine, though i'd have to wonder about the AI part of that. ;) :p

Alex.V
12-18-2002, 05:48 PM
I AM shy, dammit.

Besides, I'm not a machine. No work of man could be so perfect. Only god's hand could possibly

*beats self up for being a d*ck*

the doc
12-18-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by gino

...or maybe it doesn't exist...

I'd sh!t my pants if belial was like 5'8" 120 and was just fuking with us lol

its true though

he has been paying me hush money

if someone can offer me more ...

:evillaugh:

chris mason
12-18-2002, 06:30 PM
I've seen him. He looks good. He is bigger now than when I saw him, and I think he would have suitably impressed everyone then. As to why he won't post pics, I have no idea. If I can post pics of my fat ass and ugly mug, what does he have to be worried about (he is a pretty boy;) )?

the doc
12-18-2002, 06:33 PM
he must be paying off chris also :p

Alex.V
12-18-2002, 08:20 PM
lol. Hush money.

Chris, pretty boy?? oooh. :swear:
Watch it, mang.
lol.

Jane
12-19-2002, 03:37 AM
He's always paid Chris the most, doc. You knew that.

Speaking of which, the first of the month passed long ago B. You owe me.

Alex.V
12-19-2002, 01:08 PM
Sorry Jane. It looks like the truth is out now anyway.

Deadlifts/shoulders.

Decided to try something a bit different. Rather than high rep deads for speed, I'm switching to power cleans (with a push press after each rep). This adds some beef to the shoulder workout, and also helps me with explosion without completely wiping out my posterior chain.

Without further ado:

Deadlifts:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 6, 405 x 4, 545 x 2

All quite easy. Bar speed a little better on 405, but 545 I felt myself hesitating too much at the bottom. Grr.

Power cleans/push presses:

(Done from power clean to push press to floor, then repeat)

225 x 3+3, 245 x 2+1

Missed the second push press at 245. That was an interesting feeling. Bar go up...up...up... stop... bar heavy. Bar over head. Hmm.

Bar fall down go boom.

Most excellent.

Lateral raises:

50 x 10, 45 x 10, 45 x 10

EXCITEMENT!

40 x 10, 45 x 10

Pushing these a bit harder. Delts so wiped at this point that they truly ached. Made standing with any sort of posture difficult.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 12, 110x2 x 12

As much as I hate gloves, I might consider getting some for these. Grip isn't an issue, it's just that my hands already get plenty tore up from deads. Calluses are getting a bit too big and tearing very frequently.

Nah, f*ck it. Gloves is for wussies.

Finished off with calf raises and hanging leg raises.

Diet- Poifect!

Sleep- 7 hours. Trying to get back into a normal schedule.

Das' it, foos.

fuzz
12-19-2002, 01:27 PM
You need to get a pumice stone and wear down the callouses a couple times a week. Then you apply some moistourizer and your hands will be good and set to go, and the callouses will be a lot smaller. I have to do this when I get in my 5 rep with deadlifts, otherwise I rip callouses almost every workout. Then I bleed in the gym. Then people stare. Its awkard.

Alex.V
12-19-2002, 01:28 PM
Hey, I was talking about pumice stones over a year ago! MY pseudo feminine girly girl meathead technique. :)

But yeah. You're right. I should get back to it.

Bleeding in the gym is fun.

Alex.V
12-21-2002, 11:29 AM
Possibly my best workout ever after a day of travel. Usually, if I'm traveling the day prior, and my food consumption is off, muscle are stiff, etc, my workouts are piss poor.

Well, ten hours in a car yesterday didn't give me great hope for today, especially considering it's a new (old) gym, that has equipment I've never liked in it. Well, kept the calories obscenely high yesterday (around 6000), and felt the difference.

BB bench:
135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 4, 315 x 2, 350 x 1 (!), 315 x 1, 255 x 10

Felt very good, all of these. Descent was finally solid with the 350, and while it didn't shoot up, I had it the entire time. 255 was unbelievably light as well.

Seated skullcrushers:

175 x 8, 175 x 8 (!)

Up only a rep, but there was strength to spare. These snapped up like nothing. Apparently I snarl and make angry faces while doing these.

DB flyes:

75 x 10, 75 x 10

Nothing new here. Didn't push em, I was fried.

120 x 10, 120 x 10

The entire stack was only 150, so I did these. This garnered looks from a guy who was working out down there, who remarked he'd rarely seen people doing that with both hands.

It's a gym for mostly middle-aged suburbanites. I wasn't too flattered.

DB front raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 10

Whee.

Diet- Lousy foods, good in calories. (6100, I figure. 300 of which was from Guinness. muahaha)

Sleep- 6.5 hours.

Some things:

It's weird being home... went out to a bar in town last night and saw people I hadn't seen in years. These weren't great friends, mind you, but it's odd seeing how differently people react. All quite positive, too. I went with one of my oldest friends, and while I was off getting a beer, he started rumors. Some of which have some basis in reality. I was now a stripper, but had a horrible temper and would probably take it out on them if they knew etc. etc. It made things slightly stunted until my friend burst out laughing, and all was good.

It was also nice being checked out by a girl I had a crush on for years in high school. I don't think she even recognized me. :D

Also, for the first time ever, I felt like a freak in the gym. Nobody had any size whatsoever, and seeing myself in mirrors that I haven't looked into in over a year was shocking. Add that to the high number of calories yesterday (and the resulting full feeling), and it was quite a sight. Perception. It's all about perception. And the fact that last night, post dinner/drinks/cheeseburger, and pre-pissing, I weighed over 235. (The scale said 235, but it's usually quite a few pounds low). I'm sure I'm still around 225-226 normally. Still bloated as hell.

Okay, enough about me. I need to go Xmas shopping now. JOY!

peace.

Santiago
12-21-2002, 01:05 PM
You should trim your callouses with a razor every week or so. Just do it in under a bright light, and in front of lots of people. Attention is fun. lol

WillKuenzel
12-21-2002, 11:27 PM
Awesome job on 350! Even after a day of 10 hour travel. Jeez!

It's a gym for mostly middle-aged suburbanites. I wasn't too flattered.My gym is like this but they all still think that they are better than everybody else. People are weird.

It is weird going home. I left 140lbs with long hair and come back almost 200lbs with a shaved head. Not too many people recognize me. Kinda makes me feel good. Didn't really like many of those people anyway.

MonStar
12-22-2002, 03:27 AM
Awesome work B.

350 on the bench is friggin' insane. Extremely, extremely, extremely inspiring man. Really looking forward to seeing if you eventually plateau on your exercises. I mean obviously you can change things up and keep progressing. But I am curious to see how high you can get on bench/squat/deadlift.

Good luck man!

Alex.V
12-22-2002, 11:33 AM
Santiago- twisted, man. I love it.

HY- Isn't it great? There's no better indicator that you've come a long way. People BS you all the time about your appearance, but if they flat out don't recognize you, that's really saying something. :D Thanks for the props, btw. My bench has been stuck for so damn long becaus eof my shoulder, it's nice to finally feel like I can push myself again.

Monstar- I don't ever plan on plateauing.

*sets PR in pinky curls*

galileo
12-22-2002, 02:08 PM
350x1. God does hate me.

Silverback
12-22-2002, 02:39 PM
lol @ monstar (ever the confidence filler :))

Great workout B, as its been said stunning bench strength. I hear you on the not recognizing aspect i have some mates who went into the army a couple of years back, i saw them last weekend and they didn't have a clue who i was! It took me about 5 mins for them to realize and then they pilled the confidence on (very satisfying).

Keep up the goodwork benito:)

ectx
12-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Pinky curls rock!

*flexes pinkies*

*does pinky backs*

rookiebldr
12-22-2002, 05:18 PM
The entire stack was only 150, so I did these. This garnered looks from a guy who was working out down there, who remarked he'd rarely seen people doing that with both hands.

It's a gym for mostly middle-aged suburbanites. I wasn't too flattered.

I shall leave this comment alone until I can do more than 150. So thanks for giving me another goal.

... I went with one of my oldest friends, and while I was off getting a beer, he started rumors. Some of which have some basis in reality. I was now a stripper, but had a horrible temper and would probably take it out on them if they knew etc. etc. It made things slightly stunted until my friend burst out laughing, and all was good.

So, I guess we left to wonder which of the rumors have some basis in reality. Would be your horrible temper? :D :D

Alex.V
12-23-2002, 06:45 PM
Thanks ron. :)

EC- I decided typing was doing nothing for my finger size, and I wouldn't want to be accused of having lousy symmetry.

Rookie- I plead the 5th. :D

Decent leg day, all things considered. Again, not feeling the normal drop-off in strength that comes with a new gym.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 315 x 6, 405 x 1, 425 x 1, 445 x 1

Excellent depth and speed on all of them. Not hard.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 405 x 10

Very deep, great power.

Power cleans:

225 x 3, 255 x 2

Not sure if this should be a PR, just because it's hardly big weight and I'd hate to bold this and have people snicker. Once they hit 300. :)

Leg press:

22 plates x 10, 22 plates x 8, 20 plates x 8

No strip set. I was working out in a foreign gym with no garbage can, and had no desire to pass out or vomit on myself.

lol.

Calf raises on sled:

22 plates x 10, 22 plates x 10

I like this leg press... it let me get a full stretch, and these had me hurting.

Diet- excellent, believe it or not. Minus the four slices of cheesecake last night.

Sleep- 8 hours. :D

Tomorrow... ANOTHER DRIVE!

Merry christmas to all your christians out there!

Relentless
12-23-2002, 07:09 PM
No strip set. I was working out in a foreign gym with no garbage can, and had no desire to pass out or vomit on myself.

Next time, bring your own can.

The middleaged suburban larvae could stand to learn from a gutwrenching leg session or six.

Just some girl
12-24-2002, 12:36 AM
Merry christmas to all your christians out there!

don't forget to wish a merry christmas to the slightly confused members of other denominations and mutts of all types and kinds.... ;)

Silverback
12-24-2002, 02:13 PM
"Diet- excellent, believe it or not. Minus the four slices of cheesecake last night."

ouch! i was the same on sunday i ate a whole damn cheesecake and im not even training! there goes my 10% body fat:) oh well tis the season to be jolly:D

Great leg work, the squats were sweet:) I cant get used to 1-rep sets just aint my cup of tea, i think im a bit frightened at the chance of injury full on 100% lifts creates.

B-R

Alex.V
12-24-2002, 09:31 PM
Ouch? Meh, they fit into the diet. :)

Squats were ace, just because of depth. It was enough weight to impress only a small suburban gym, but I'm finally satisfied with my form. Legal in any federation, I'd say.

Andrea, merry christmas. :)

Alex.V
12-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Oye. Tried to cram a lot into a single workout. My lower back really hasn't recovered from my leg workout on monday... the long drive more or less guaranteed that, as did picking up my English Mastiff like I did when he was a puppy. You know, draping him over one shoulder like a baby.

Problem is, he's 205 pounds.

Anyway, so I skipped the deads, and more or less did back, shoulders, and biceps together. Ran outta juice, but it was a decent workout.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +45 x 11

The cross bar on the cable crossover (the only pull-up bar) wasn't weighted to more than 300. And it sagged alarmingly, so I didn't push these.

DB rows:

150 x 10, 150 x 10

Actually used real DBs. Whee. Perfect form too.

Hammer Strength ipso-iso-mono-etc. etc. lateral row. (Not the biangular. Some other one.):

8 plates x 8, 6 plates x 8

Like this machine a lot... It's nice to find a machine that lets me pull the weight to the stomach, not always the chest.

Hammer strength iso-fuko-shoulder press: (Can't these machines have normal names?)

8 plates x 8, 8 plates x 7

Shoulder started hurting a bit here. But actually went to failure without any sort of bad pain. Wahoo!

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 50 x 8

Yahoo. Traps still sore from power cleans on monday.

45 x 10, 50 x 10

Most I've done here, really. Powerful, and shoulders hurt so badly (good pain. delt fatigue) that walking around was a pain.

Did some concentration curls with 50's, some hammers with 65's, and that was it.

Diet- Wow, hello calories. And too much sodium.

Sleep- 8 hours.

Also worked out with my parents, that was cool. Had my mom deadlifting. :) Kinda funny, she's lost a LOT of weight lately, and is far too thin... and refused to pull the weight at first. I finally convinced her to, and after a few adjustments in form, she yanked it up like nothing. 100 pounds. Not bad for an old lady who's deadlifting for her first time ever. ;)

Dad's also making progress. Does my bitter little heart good.

That's it, yo.

GeneticallyGifted
12-26-2002, 12:59 PM
That is nice that your Ole man and Ole Bird worked out with ya. My Moms used to workout with me as well but she slows me down and it hurts my workouts. Was it hard for you...workout wise?? I know it does you proud that the makers of your life are trying to live longer...lol.

GG

WillKuenzel
12-26-2002, 08:21 PM
Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +45 x 11

The cross bar on the cable crossover (the only pull-up bar) wasn't weighted to more than 300. And it sagged alarmingly, so I didn't push these.That is just too funny!

My dad is the one who first got me into lifting weights. He's got a great workout room with lots of equipment and weights. The only problem is that the DB's don't go above 75. He's great to workout with though.

Alex.V
12-26-2002, 11:02 PM
How hilarious would it have been if it broke?

Probably not very.

lol.

GG- It wasn't a bad workout at all. I mean, I actually spent time with them between sets, but managed to get my focus right back where it needed to be when my rest period was up. Chalk it up to the mp3 player or xenadrine. ;)

HY- My dad actually used to DRAG me to the gym when I was younger. We owe them old men a lot, eh?

BennettBoy
12-26-2002, 11:59 PM
Alright, what's the scale showing these days? Do I need to send you some of my icecream so you can get to 230?

Dammit, we are going to see some pictures one way or the other.

And I'm holding you to that 230 sh$t.

BennettBoy
12-27-2002, 12:01 AM
And yeah, I got a little buzz right now so I'm feelin' kind of bad and stuff. You dig?

:cool:

fuzz
12-27-2002, 12:14 AM
belial does not exist. he is an entity created by a well programmed AI system, designed to impress and entertain online body builder forum members. his designer is a 6'3" 125 pound weakling who dreams of lifting weights and impressing the ladies, but lives his dreams vicarously through Belial 3.0.

in other words, we will never see pics. NEVER

Alex.V
12-27-2002, 09:55 PM
WARNING: UNDEFINED ERROR.

STACK DUMP
00068944 894401ad 88e00157 70701d5e 7fdc0002 0cdf88d8 00000000 06940000 0da00030 88f4605f 17d710d0 00000000 06940000 0da00030 01ad0006 00008944

*falls over*

ectx
12-27-2002, 10:24 PM
LMAO

I knew it.

How are the holidays going, young'n?

rookiebldr
12-27-2002, 11:07 PM
Hammer Strength ipso-iso-mono-etc. etc. lateral row. (Not the biangular. Some other one.):

8 plates x 8, 6 plates x 8

Like this machine a lot... It's nice to find a machine that lets me pull the weight to the stomach, not always the chest.

Hammer strength iso-fuko-shoulder press: (Can't these machines have normal names?)

8 plates x 8, 8 plates x 7

Do they have to have so many types as well. Now you've got me wondering what the difference is between the iso lateral row and the biangular row. And I see you have upped the anti on the HS shoulder press - 360lbs + machine weight - eek.

Alex.V
12-27-2002, 11:26 PM
EC- Can't complain... entirely too much driving (NC to NJ, NJ to MA, MA to NJ, NJ to ASAP RSVP FUBAR or some such nonsense). Family is family, in other words, entirely too much all at once. Where too much is defined as more than nothing. Still, I guess we have to love them.

And your holiday?

Rookie- The biangular is the one where the plates load in front. Small machine. The one I used is a medieval torture device looking contraption where the plates are located above and behind...

ectx
12-27-2002, 11:40 PM
Thaz a lot of driving...with me it's just 2 hours down and 2 back. It's been okay here...the novelty of family has worn off and I'm bored out of my gourd. A town of 20,000 is too small for me, LOL. Funny how somethings stay the same, and others change.

Franjipani
12-28-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by fuzz
in other words, we will never see pics. NEVER

Alex.V
12-28-2002, 03:03 PM
EC- small towns will be the death of me... yet big cities are equally distasteful... except in small doses.

Franji.... You know it pains me to see a woman cry. That will simply not do. :(

Bad ass chest day. I can't believe I just said that. My pecz was pumped, yo. I can't believe I just said that either.

Kept turning it up.

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 275 x 2, 315 x 1, 335 x 1, 355 x 1 (!), 315 x 1, 275 x 6

Bad ass. Blasted that sh*t out of the bottom and had awesome acceleration through the top. The bar actually flopped at the top from sudden deceleration. Not ideal, but it meant I was pushing it hard. The last set was done with a 1 second pause before pressing. Nice PR, but I'm getting close to my limit here for the time being.

Seated skullcrushers:

175 x 8, 185 x 6.5 (!)

Damn. These were HARD. But exhilarating. The last rep was simply too shallow, so it only counts for a half. If that. I think I may stay here for a few weeks, if only to work on the form a bit and consolidate the weight.

DB flyes:

75 x 10, 80 x 10

Form was as good as I could get it, so I'm satisfied.

150 x 8, 150 x 6 (per side)

Again, not too shabby. Nice and strict on the first set, though I got a bit sloppy on the second.

DB front raises:

45 x 10, 50 x 8

Rah.

Dips, for sh*ts and giggles:

bodyweight x 24 (got bored)

I was happy that I had this much in me even when fatigued. Did some rotator cuff work and called it a day.

Diet- complete and utter crap, but calories have been decent.

Sleep- averaging around 7.5 hours a night.

That's about it, yo.

The Calvinator
12-28-2002, 09:41 PM
have a great new year large and in charge

Alex.V
12-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Happy new year, big guy.

Leg day!

Not to shabby, really. Not enough time between breakfast and workout, but still managed to put up some decent weight.

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 6, 405 x 1, 435 x 1, 455 x 1. 315 x 6 (paused)

455 was legal depth, baby, and it FLEW up. I think I growled "I GOT IT" when it was on the way up, because people were staring when I racked. Whee. Damn. Now I'm that assface who makes noise when he lifts.

SLDLs:

405 x 10, 405 x 12

Damn. Got close to the floor on a few of these reps, which is unusual considering my particular mechanics.

Power cleans to push press:

225 x 3, 245 x 1, 265 x 0, 265 x 1 (!)

Ugliest god damn power clean and push press ever. lol. Almost lost balance on the power clean, and the push press was so damn slow that I almost fell over. I am weak.

But it was fun. Especially slamming the bar down.

Leg press:

22 plates x 7, 22 plates x 8

Nothing special. No drop set (no safety stop, nobody to help unload)

Calf raises on the sled with the same weight, two sets of 12.

Finished off with some hammer strength iso-shishi-foo-foo leg extensions. (4 plates per leg)

Diet- heh. What diet.

Sleep- 7 hours.

Rant: (STRICTLY for my own purposes here)

So it's interesting being back here in Jersey and actually going out to see people that I haven't seen since high school. It's interesting to see how people react, most of all. Especially the girls. A bit about me... I came to the US in 7th grade from living overseas... needless to say, it was an awkward transition, and it really wasn't until the last year or two of high school that I felt I fit in at all. I was always just the really ****ing smart kid in the class. 1600 boy (SAT score), the guy who took calculus a year early. The one who always seemed to know the answer to anything. And that was my thing. I played football, I was active, I partied with people, but I was never quite in the 'uppermost social echelon'. I was shy, I guess. Insecure, as we all were. And in a lot of ways, I still felt different from the norm. Maybe even slightly inferior. Never had much of a body, fashion sense was average at best, and social skills were slighly forced at times.

But things are different now. I went into a bar here that's a big hangout, and saw people I hadn't seen since those days. But everything was different, I moved effortlessly around the crowd, talking to people, having a good time, none of the old insecurity or shyness.

And talking to the girls... I saw two girls, two friends that I had the biggest god damn crush on in high school. I was chatting with them for a while, and one of them was being hugely flirtatious. And I went with it... not that I reciprocated, I just took it in stride. Then one of the girls (Katie) said she had to go, but that she still had the same number she had in high school and that I should call her. I laughed, said I was leaving soon, but who knows...

I was laughing with one of my friends about it later, and he said "Yeah, she was talking about you before you came over. She said you got hot".

And that pissed me off.

We're all shallow creatures. We're all attracted by physical appearance. But here was a girl who wouldn't look at me twice in high school, who in some ways scorned the guys who didn't fit in the top 1% of the social order. Who wouldn't exchange more than a few words with me back then. Now she wants me to call. Don't get me wrong, I'm hugely flattered. But... I'm the same person I was. I'm the same insecure smart kid that she probably had a laugh or two at during my awkward phase. Now, all of a sudden, what, I've become good enough to be worth her time? She thinks that now, I'm going to call her just because she's her? Because she USED to be cool? Because she knew I liked her back then? Like, gee, thanks, I appreciate the opportunity.

Maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe I'm not. It shouldn't bother me. She's human. They're all human. People change. But... damn. I guess in some ways it's a little bit of bitterness. I wish I were the person I am now when I was back in high school. The insecurity that plagued me when I was younger is gone. Constantly thinking that people were better than me... that's gone. But... I've moved on to better things than her. You didn't like me then, woman. You won't like me now. Don't pretend you do just because I'm suddenly 'worthy' in your eyes.

gregnb
12-29-2002, 02:49 PM
Your rant has alot of good points, man. It doesn't look like she's worth the call..

chris mason
12-29-2002, 04:38 PM
I can empathize with you B, although I don't think I ever got "hot", just bigger. Try this thought, you probably do look better than you did in high school (muscles aside), that is why many people refer to that time as their awkward years. Personality and self confidence are a big turn on for women. So, your increased self confidence probably made you even more attractive. It is quite possible that if you acted the way you do now in high school, her attitude would have been much different. You shouldn't be bitter about your newfound "hunkiness", you should enjoy it.

ectx
12-29-2002, 05:22 PM
First off: I crack up each time you use "sh*ts and giggles". It amuses me to no end.

Second: 1600...I knew you were a smarty pants.

Third: Dang. Interesting rant. I went through something similar when I returned home after dropping all my weight. Granted, I wasn't a pretty boy, never have been, but all of a sudden I wasn't 310 lbs, and people treated me differently. Was I bitter...you bet your ass ("What are you doing at my party, you wouldn't even greet me in the halls you son of a"...nevermind). The thing is that you change, and people change, and in the grand scheme of things what people thought of you then is all insignificant. What matters is that you've found your niche and things are going great for ya. But you know that, smarty pants. Chris Mason is 100% accurate, "enjoy your newfound 'hunkiness'". Nothing more to be said.:D

Alex.V
12-29-2002, 09:47 PM
Greg, there's only one recipient for my calls at the moment. ;)

Chris, I hear you. But, I mean, EC shares the sentiment. Of course you can't blame people for reacting in a positive way, and you can't really blame them for reacting in a negative way to a past, less secure/attractive/whatnot persona. Yet when the sudden change just hits you across the face, it's bothersome. You both are right, it's best to take it in stride (and let go of old bitterness), but it's never really hit me until now that there's hypocrisy at work here.... as I said, it's as much a lament for how things USED to be.

EC, not a smarty pants. I was just in a zone when I took it. Read: hung over. :) Helps you focus. No, really. It does. How can you be nervous and make stupid mistakes if you're ready to kill yourself?

xraygirl
12-30-2002, 04:12 AM
Rant: (STRICTLY for my own purposes here)

So it's interesting being back here in Jersey and actually going out to see people that I haven't seen since high school. It's interesting to see how people react, most of all. Especially the girls. A bit about me... I came to the US in 7th grade from living overseas... needless to say, it was an awkward transition, and it really wasn't until the last year or two of high school that I felt I fit in at all. I was always just the really ****ing smart kid in the class. 1600 boy (SAT score), the guy who took calculus a year early. The one who always seemed to know the answer to anything. And that was my thing. I played football, I was active, I partied with people, but I was never quite in the 'uppermost social echelon'. I was shy, I guess. Insecure, as we all were. And in a lot of ways, I still felt different from the norm. Maybe even slightly inferior. Never had much of a body, fashion sense was average at best, and social skills were slighly forced at times.

But things are different now. I went into a bar here that's a big hangout, and saw people I hadn't seen since those days. But everything was different, I moved effortlessly around the crowd, talking to people, having a good time, none of the old insecurity or shyness.

And talking to the girls... I saw two girls, two friends that I had the biggest god damn crush on in high school. I was chatting with them for a while, and one of them was being hugely flirtatious. And I went with it... not that I reciprocated, I just took it in stride. Then one of the girls (Katie) said she had to go, but that she still had the same number she had in high school and that I should call her. I laughed, said I was leaving soon, but who knows...

I was laughing with one of my friends about it later, and he said "Yeah, she was talking about you before you came over. She said you got hot".

And that pissed me off.

We're all shallow creatures. We're all attracted by physical appearance. But here was a girl who wouldn't look at me twice in high school, who in some ways scorned the guys who didn't fit in the top 1% of the social order. Who wouldn't exchange more than a few words with me back then. Now she wants me to call. Don't get me wrong, I'm hugely flattered. But... I'm the same person I was. I'm the same insecure smart kid that she probably had a laugh or two at during my awkward phase. Now, all of a sudden, what, I've become good enough to be worth her time? She thinks that now, I'm going to call her just because she's her? Because she USED to be cool? Because she knew I liked her back then? Like, gee, thanks, I appreciate the opportunity.

Maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe I'm not. It shouldn't bother me. She's human. They're all human. People change. But... damn. I guess in some ways it's a little bit of bitterness. I wish I were the person I am now when I was back in high school. The insecurity that plagued me when I was younger is gone. Constantly thinking that people were better than me... that's gone. But... I've moved on to better things than her. You didn't like me then, woman. You won't like me now. Don't pretend you do just because I'm suddenly 'worthy' in your eyes.
OMG! :eek: I can well and truly empathize. I was extremely homely in highschool. Also extremely serious and out of place in every group. Well sometime between 18 & 28, I grew into my face and people that wouldn't acknowledge my existence suddenly had a change of heart, not to mention a desire to have a piece if you catch my drift. Too bad for them that my sentiments were quite different :D I've only become comfortable with my looks in the past 4 years or so. I'm the same person, it's just that the package has improved with age.

MonStar
12-30-2002, 10:03 AM
Good job B on the bench and squat strength, really really impressive man. How much did you weigh throughout highschool?

Pup
12-30-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by xraygirl

. I'm the same person, it's just that the package has improved with age.

Like a fine wine :angel:

the doc
12-30-2002, 10:17 AM
i can echo those sentiments to a certain extent B.

ahhh well, its best to just get on in life knowing that they'll be stuck doing the same ol' thing and you're out doing exciting new **** and making the most of your life!

BCC
12-30-2002, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I feel B on the rant.

Blood&Iron
12-30-2002, 12:00 PM

Leg day!

Not to shabby, really. Not enough time between breakfast and workout, but still managed to put up some decent weight.

Squats:

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 6, 405 x 1, 435 x 1, 455 x 1. 315 x 6 (paused)

455 was legal depth, baby, and it FLEW up. I think I growled "I GOT IT" when it was on the way up, because people were staring when I racked. Whee. Damn. Now I'm that assface who makes noise when he lifts.

SLDLs:

405 x 10, 405 x 12

Damn. Got close to the floor on a few of these reps, which is unusual considering my particular mechanics.

<snip>

You didn't like me then, woman. You won't like me now. Don't pretend you do just because I'm suddenly 'worthy' in your eyes.
Well, I hate you.

Feel better?

Saturday Fever
12-30-2002, 01:22 PM
I forget who the crackhead was that mentioned this to me, but I was once told a good way to check if a girl was for real or not.

Whenever you let a girl into a car, close her door for her and walk to your door around the back of the vehicle and watch her. If she reaches over to unlock your door, she's a keeper. If she doesn't, she's nothing.

Just some girl
12-30-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Saturday Fever
I forget who the crackhead was that mentioned this to me, but I was once told a good way to check if a girl was for real or not.

Whenever you let a girl into a car, close her door for her and walk to your door around the back of the vehicle and watch her. If she reaches over to unlock your door, she's a keeper. If she doesn't, she's nothing.

so how do you know if you have keyless entry? ;)

big
12-30-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Saturday Fever

It's from a movie. Mafia movie Al Pacino(might have been someone else, I always mix his name up with that other guy... ) is in it, don't remember the name.

ectx
12-30-2002, 03:47 PM
Bronx Tale

big
12-30-2002, 03:52 PM
yeah thanks I just found it. I always mix de Niro with Pacino, I think it's the same person though.... I dunno

Saturday Fever
12-30-2002, 04:13 PM
Yes! Classic flik I haven't seen in ages. Must rent tonight.

Budiak
12-30-2002, 07:03 PM
Bronx Tale is ****ing awesome.

I still let the girl in the car first, then see if she unlocks mine while I'm rounding the back.

That and my drivers side lock is broken so he kind of has to...but that means little in a relationship.

the doc
12-30-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Budiak

That and my drivers side lock is broken so he kind of has to...but that means little in a relationship.

interesting relations budiak...
man on man i see

WillKuenzel
12-30-2002, 08:50 PM
Maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe I'm not. It shouldn't bother me. She's human. They're all human. People change. But... damn. I guess in some ways it's a little bit of bitterness. I wish I were the person I am now when I was back in high school. The insecurity that plagued me when I was younger is gone. Constantly thinking that people were better than me... that's gone. But... I've moved on to better things than her. You didn't like me then, woman. You won't like me now. Don't pretend you do just because I'm suddenly 'worthy' in your eyes.Its all pretty funny sometimes. I despise the people from my hometown because of this. They all still have that "better than you" attitude, even though they are still living at home and working at the local grocery store or wal-mart. Trapped forever in the small town. Suddenly they think they want to be my friend? I'll be nice but I ain't making a big effort.

Freaking insane bench and squat. I'm going to go cry now.

Alex.V
12-30-2002, 09:25 PM
Funny, my dad told me about that line in that movie YEARS ago... still remember it to this day. :)

Monstar, I was a not so lean 180 or so through high school.. nothing special, certainly.

B&I, thanks. :) I feel much better.

HY, what's your bench at? Pretty damn close, no?

I guess the whole thing was just a real strong example of just how two faced people can be. Part of me is like... what if I still looked like I used to? would I get even half the amount of smiles etc.? Not to overdo this and pretend nobody would like me otherwise.. hell, there are many other factors. But... I dunno. I'm over it now. Back to duke I go!

It's just a big topic. People will always be the same... it's just a matter of getting good at figuring out who's real.

WillKuenzel
12-30-2002, 09:46 PM
LMAO, I don't think my bench is anywhere near that. I might max out at 260 or 280. My flat bench sux the big one.

JSG: I had keyless entry but I would still try it. Just lock it without arming the system and still open the door for her. Its interesting to see sometimes. One girl I didn't think would, did, and another whom I thought would, didn't. Neither were keepers but its just all part of the game.

Alex.V
12-31-2002, 09:20 AM
Aye, but your incline/shoulder strength is brutal.

You know, central locking also makes that less of an issue...

ectx
12-31-2002, 09:39 AM

You know, central locking also makes that less of an issue...

For a second there I thought this was some bizarre Belial technique to increase your bench.

Alex.V
01-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Oh dear. I suppose I've earned the privilege of being pigeonholed.

Back/shoulder/bicep day.

Nothing hugely exciting. Yet ANOTHER gym, this time with hex plates, so I didn't deadlift AGAIN.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +45 x 12

Nothing challenging in the least, but again, the bar didn't feel stable at all.

Barbell rows:

295 x 10, 315 x 9

Whee. Bar too thick.
*bitch moan*

Good form on the second set, though.

One-handed cable rows:

150 x 8, 180 x 6

Interesting. This was done on a special row cable machine... no mechanical advantage from the pullies at all, simply set up so that a vertical lift becomes a horizontal one. So these were a decent sub for the DB rows. Of course, doing them AFTER BB rows made them a wee bit harder.

Lateral raises:

45 x 10, 50 x 8, 55 x 8

Bumped these up a little, since my shoulder won't be able to do OH presses on any sort of machine at this gym or the one at duke.

45 x 10, 50 x 10

Good pain. :D

Concentration curls with the 45's and 50's, one handed cable curls with 100 pounds (left elbow bothering me), and hammer curls with the 65's.

That was it.

Diet- not too bad. Except the fairly heavy (for me) amount of alcohol last night.

Sleep- 8 hours.

BCC
01-01-2003, 02:22 PM

Yet ANOTHER gym, this time with hex plates, so I didn't deadlift AGAIN.

Pussy :p

Alex.V
01-01-2003, 02:25 PM
lol. I know right. I'm going to have a deadlift-only workout on friday when I return to Duke.

But octagonal (not hex, sorry) plates SUCK for deads. You gotta admit.

Reinier
01-01-2003, 02:26 PM
deadlifting with plates that arent round would suck

BCC
01-01-2003, 02:27 PM
lol. I know right. I'm going to have a deadlift-only workout on friday when I return to Duke.

But octagonal (not hex, sorry) plates SUCK for deads. You gotta admit.

I don't know, I've pretty much always done deads with octagonal plates.

Alex.V
01-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Really? Dude... Que lame. Try with round plates. You may be pleasantly surprised.

[Believe]
01-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Belial,

I stopped posting on this board, but made an exception here while browsing your journal.

I got the @#$@# picked out of me in junior high, high school...people made me lick food they found on the ground, they'd slap my head, laugh at me... Those hours truly hurt.

I'll give you background:

Here's my rundown:

Won 4 state chess championship titles.
Won 1 national chess title.
Won a bunch of state speaking awards.
Started Calculus when i was 16...
1390 SAT
3.93/4.00
Attended Harvard.
Accepted UW Honors.
Going to UW.

8th Grade: 4'10 85 lbs.

Always got laughed at, always got jeered...

Things changed for me too though bro, and people from the past often stop and...are taken aback. It is strangely liberating.

Oh...and I used to wear inkstained shirts and wear swim shorts to school...my flyest clothing came from Ross.

I once stood in a circle of my upperclassmen in drama class...and the teacher asked them to speak on what they thought of me.

"He doesn't take care of himself...his shirt is messed up..." that went on for about 10 minutes...and it breaks your heart when you're just an insignificant 8th grader.

I'm 20 now. I have a wardrobe and gear valued in the 10s of thousands of dollars...I can bench 300+ without blinking and stand around 5'10/170 lbs. That's pretty ununusual for a chinese kid from the mainland. But I really don't care that much...because why? I AIN'T SO MUCH DIFFERENT.

Why? 'Cause the same cats who tried to steal my life away when I was young, who tried to make me believe that all this...this being life...was about was the symbols you rocked on your shirt...or how your hair was cut...or what car you drove... I realize that only after years of tearing up my insides over it - that it's not what mattered in the end. Or even in the middle.

But the heart didn't change...maybe I grew up, but the heart inside me didn't change. So I understand I think...in part, at least what you mean.

Sorry...this was just one of those weird times, where something truly catches your eye.

Cheers then, and God bless, all the nerds who got up out and didn't abuse their new found strength.

[Believe]
01-01-2003, 04:42 PM
GOD BLESS THE NERDS!!!

Whoa

okay, that is all.

God bless us all :).

chris mason
01-01-2003, 05:21 PM
That is where it all goes wrong. Those people didn't try to "steal" your life. People who do those sort of things in school (and beyond) have big problems of their own. They may have broken homes, abusive parents, alcoholic parents, or some combo. They may also pick on people due to crowd psychology. That unique collective mindset that allows people to commit acts they know are wrong. Yes it sucks. Yes it made your life miserable for a period, but don't confuse the issue. Those same people almost never amount to anything in life. They face a whole life of misery while you only faced a few years.

I was definitely not a cool guy in high school. When I started high school in Arizona, all of the kids seemed to know each other (at least all of the cool ones). I had just moved to Arizona the year before and had attended a Catholic middle school. My high school was public, so I knew virtually nobody. I got a little bit of teasing, but my issues were with the women. I got nary a consideration from them. This never helped my self esteem in that respect. I never even kissed a girl until I was in college. I didn't go on a date until I was in college. So, I have plenty to be bitter about with regards to women if I so chose. I never was really bitter. I never will be. It is what it is. I now have a beautiful wife I love very much, and other than lamenting the fact that I should have had some balls in high school with regards to women, I don't hold any ill feelings for them. I just don't see the point in holding those negative feelings, it is not a positive thing.

Hercule
01-01-2003, 10:03 PM
Believe,
Nice story. Luckily, I got picked on in elementary. In 6th grade, i was 5'3" 90lbs. I was at teh bottom of the food chain, so to speak. In 7th grade, my dad bought me a beginners weight set. It is the best thing he or anyone has ever done. I am a totally new person now. Needless to say, I am no longer picked on ;).

Alex.V
01-01-2003, 10:19 PM
Believe, that was a good story. And credit goes to you for realizing what this is all about. To not change who you are, but have the world realize your worth through your own dogged self-improvement, done not for anyone's benefit other than your own... now that is growing up. That is maturity, and that is life.

My story is slightly different, though.. my awkward phase lasted about a year and a half in middle school. I was never picked on, never beaten up, never ostracized, none of that. In fact, I was probably a bit of a jackass to the 'nerds' throughout at least the second half of high school. But, again, I never considered myself to be all that... most of my insecurities and barriers to truly 'fitting in' were internal, and that was enough to show on the outside. I played sports, was friends with just about everybody, dated girls pretty much constantly throughout, etc. Yet, I wasn't happy in my own skin. I sometimes wished I could be someone else...be that guy who wasn't shy when he talked to hot girls, be the guy who was always surrounded by his crew...

Chris, you're right. There's no room for negativity. Grudges aren't healthy, and one can argue that every slight you've faced has helped make you into the person you are today... that includes every single positive aspect of your personality.

I guess I can't really complain about my life so far. I've never been bullied, never been picked on, I just never felt quite 'cool' enough to be 100% comfortable in my surroundings. Now, at last, that's completely gone. And with the confidence comes new understanding...an appreciation for just how insecure everyone else is. There's no more awe when I talk to a very attractive woman, no more intimidation when I find myself in the middle of a room full of strangers.

It's not about other people. It's about being comfortable with yourself. People won't realize your worth until YOU do.

Franjipani
01-02-2003, 06:32 AM
It's not about other people. It's about being comfortable with yourself. People won't realize your worth until YOU do.

Well said hon....

*gives B a standing ovation*

Just dropped by to wish you a Happy New Year actually..... geez you really are an inspiration in many ways B.

:angel:

galileo
01-02-2003, 07:51 AM
I am worthy...I am worthy....I AM worthy...

I AM WORTHY!!

I feel so positive.

rookiebldr
01-02-2003, 07:52 AM
I guess I can't really complain about my life so far. I've never been bullied, never been picked on, I just never felt quite 'cool' enough to be 100% comfortable in my surroundings. Now, at last, that's completely gone. And with the confidence comes new understanding...an appreciation for just how insecure everyone else is. There's no more awe when I talk to a very attractive woman, no more intimidation when I find myself in the middle of a room full of strangers.

And with that also comes respect. It is those experiences that define who we are and how we react to others. Although many people appear to be 100% comfortable, they seem to channel that confidence into arrogance. Maybe it's still sign of insecurity or of something else that is missing in themselves. So it is great to see someone who seems to have found that balance.

Herc
01-02-2003, 03:00 PM
But, again, I never considered myself to be all that... most of my insecurities and barriers to truly 'fitting in' were internal, and that was enough to show on the outside. I played sports, was friends with just about everybody, dated girls pretty much constantly throughout, etc. Yet, I wasn't happy in my own skin. I sometimes wished I could be someone else...be that guy who wasn't shy when he talked to hot girls, be the guy who was always surrounded by his crew...

B: that's some of the best wording of how I felt in HS and college that I've come across. It does suck that people judge based on looks and appearance, but that's life and human nature. The great part is that you have now become that person you wanted to be. It took me until I was 30 to grab the reins and take control of my life, - some people never do.
When you encounter those people who piss you off because they are impressed by your new "book cover" just remember they are still browsing the kiddie section while you've moved on to the classics.

:thumbup:

BennettBoy
01-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Yet, I wasn't happy in my own skin. I sometimes wished I could be someone else...be that guy who wasn't shy when he talked to hot girls, be the guy who was always surrounded by his crew...

I have also been following this discussion and I know exactly how you feel B. My problem in high school though was somewhat different. I had tons of male friends and female friends, but the girls always seemed to choose to just want to be my friend and date other guys.....many that were my friends. Part of that was because I was so damn small in high school. In my senior year I was like 5'4", 135 lbs. and I sh$t you not. I couldn't play football because I was too small. It sucked. :cry:

As a result I just became this shy guy always afraid to make any move on a chick. I always internally wished I was someone else....especially when I would watch all these other guys making it look so easy with the ladies. It is a horrible thing for anybody to have to endure.

So today I am recently divorced and guess what.....not much has changed. I am bigger for sure, but unfortunately I still consider myself shy and terrible at hitting on chicks. And I hate it....but I honestly have come to the conclusion it is just something I will live with the rest of my life. I have no game and it is all mental now. :( And I try to cover my problem up most the time by just telling myself and others I'm just picky. Bahahaha....I see many girls out I'd love to talk with....but I just freeze up and end up daydreaming about what might be rather than just freakin' approaching the chick. God, I hate it.

I actually had a girl at the gym recently tell me all the ladies in the gym thought I was the hottest thing in there. I was like hmmmm....not one of them has ever once made any comment to me that would have led me to believe such a thing. I guess most women still think all that is up to the guy to make any first move. Either way....I'm doomed to always just seeing others play the game and wished it were me.

My life sucks. That is all. :cry:

Signed,

BennettBoy
Destined to Singlehood forever :D

TMan
01-02-2003, 03:26 PM
This thread is starting to sound like something from the Oprah show or the Oxygen channel.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Alex.V
01-02-2003, 03:40 PM
I vill BREAK YOU girlie man!

*deadlifts*

better?

ectx
01-02-2003, 03:44 PM
meathead smarty pants.

Franjipani
01-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by BennettBoy
I have no game and it is all mental now. :( And I try to cover my problem up most the time by just telling myself and others I'm just picky. Bahahaha....I see many girls out I'd love to talk with....but I just freeze up and end up daydreaming about what might be rather than just freakin' approaching the chick. God, I hate it.

:eek:

We seriously need to have a chat muffin... you need a good goin overtuttut

PowerManDL
01-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Uuuuuhhhhhhhhh oh!

:hump:

BennettBoy
01-03-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

:eek:

We seriously need to have a chat muffin... you need a good goin overtuttut

You want my number....or do you want to give me yours. :D

I am serious though about what I said. I honestly don't like that part of my personality, character or whatever.....I've just not been successful reversing it as of yet. I'm still working on it though. I want to be confident dammit.

Songsangnim
01-03-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by BennettBoy

As a result I just became this shy guy always afraid to make any move on a chick. I always internally wished I was someone else....especially when I would watch all these other guys making it look so easy with the ladies. It is a horrible thing for anybody to have to endure.

Signed,

BennettBoy
Destined to Singlehood forever :D

I hear you BB. Same here. Except that in high school I was the nerdy kid that everyone picked on. That greatly contributed to my lack of self-esteem and natural shyness. And I used to be the same with girls ("always afraid to make any move on a hot chick") But like Mr. Mason says, brooding about it, doesn't do any good. And that was then, this is now. Being a teacher does wonders for getting rid of one's shyness. Getting up in front of a class and talking for 50 minutes...do that enough and it will cure just about any problems one has with social phobia. I hope things work out better for you in the future.

Belial, sorry to spam your journal, but I just had to respond. A number of these stories just sounded so close to what I had to endure. Just letting people know, that they're not alone, and yes there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Alex.V
01-03-2003, 12:44 PM
It's not spam, dude. It IS an open message board. ;)

Interesting workout today. I did shoulders back on wednesday, and decided to go in today and just do a few things that I've been letting slack.. namely calves, abs, and... deadlifts. Haven't deadlifted since, damn, I dunno, the 19th? But it went pretty well... my strength has been going up elsewhere, which may have helped balance out my rusty form. lol.

Deadlifts:

135 x 8, 225 x 8, 315 x 6, 405 x 2, 555 x 2

Word. First rep was slow but steady (haven't held that kinda weight in a while), second rep was slow off the floor but fast up at lockout. I think that's a PR for a double.

DB shrugs:

110x2 x 10, 110x2 x 12

I might actually stop these for a while. I think I've decided my neck is becoming a little too large. Cue rude comments.

Calf raises:

Stack x 12, stack x 10, stack x 10.

Not bad. Very slow, good burn.

Hanging leg raises, dead hang -> toes to ceiling: 12, 8, 8

Ouchie.

Diet- not bad. A bit low in cals.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

That's it, I think.

Just some girl
01-03-2003, 12:59 PM
Deadlifts:
555 x 2

I think that's a PR for a double.

I think you are right. :) yay! ;)

ectx
01-03-2003, 01:00 PM

I might actually stop these for a while. I think I've decided my neck is becoming a little too large. Cue rude comments.

You asked for it mang. You need a big neck to support that huge head of yours.

*runs to avoid flying buicks with faulty alternators*

Alex.V
01-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Just some girl

I think you are right. :) yay! ;)

Score!

*Flings homing buick with brand new alternator at ec*

WillKuenzel
01-03-2003, 10:41 PM
I think I've decided my neck is becoming a little too large. Cue rude comments.Wha... ack!! No such thing! I actually have my dad's neck harness in hopes of getting my neck bigger.

Nice job on the double for the PR. The most I've ever seen deadlifted is whatever my PR is (something like 345). I'd like to see somebody actually do some heavy deadlifting for once. That's some serious weight.

Just some girl
01-03-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by HomeYield
Wha... ack!! No such thing! I actually have my dad's neck harness in hopes of getting my neck bigger.

oy! shhh. yes, there is too big. alex, dont listen to him. please.

:)

no offense, homeyield, im sure you have a very nice neck, and will always, even if it gets to be gigantic in circumference.

WillKuenzel
01-03-2003, 11:25 PM
LOL, JSG, I wasn't that great of a wrestler in high school and spent alot of time bridging to get off my back. My neck blew up. In our team picture it literally looked like I had a cast on my neck. I had 14" arms with a 18" neck. I've lost a few inches off my neck and looking back, you may be right. I believe there may be point where it is too big.

Saint Patrick
01-04-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Just some girl
im sure you have a very nice neck, and will always, even if it gets to be gigantic in circumference.

I hear it's the Circumference that matters most, and not so much the length.

We're talking about necks, right?

Rastaman
01-04-2003, 04:14 AM
Belial's journal is the only journal that can make me cry.

McBain
01-04-2003, 07:47 AM
stpatrick dont make me get out the angry smileys again tuttut

McBain
01-04-2003, 07:55 AM
Ouchie.

haha i was working once and this really rude kid said GIV ME A MEAT PIE!..........i was like ok man settle down but then i searched for one and gave him one that teh bag had exploded and the meat was everywhere, anyway he opened it and the exploded meat went all over his hands and he did a littel dance and was like 'ouchie ouchie...........burnie burnie..........ouchie'

p.s nice deadlifts.

:hide:

Alex.V
01-04-2003, 01:30 PM
erm...uhh...

Thanks for, uh

sharing, McBain.

*hides*

CHEST DAY!

Not too bad. I felt kinda crap on the first few sets of bench, but I had an excellent spotter (best random I've found yet), and energy levels finally peaked at about the right time.

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 275 x 2, 315 x 1, 335 x 1, 360 x 1 (!), 265 x 6 (paused)

315 was SMOKED. Felt like 225. 335 was a bit uneven on the descent, but hit rock bottom, stabilized, and had good power going up. 360 was slow as hell. Good handoff, good descent, great off the chest, and about 4" up it slowed. Spotter touched it but didn't lift, and it creeped up. Lockout sloppy, but it's all good. Paused bench wiped me out. Next week is 365, and there I may stay for a few weeks to get comfortable with the weight, work on speed and form.

Seated skullcrushers:

175 x 8, 175 x 8

lol. Didn't have too much happening here.

DB flyes:

75 x 10, 75 x 10

For some reason these also kicked my ass today. Good form, though.

One-handed cable pushdowns:

130 x 10, 120 x 9

Triceps gone at this point. Nothing left.

Db front raises:

45 x 10, 45 x 10

Rah. Shoulder bothering me a little, actually, which is why I stayed at this weight.

Diet- Excellent yesterday. Face still looks puffy, though. I think, besides the high sodium diet, I added some fat over vacation. Dammit! Lower back holding some water/fat. I will remedy that!

Sleep- 7.5 hours

MonStar
01-04-2003, 01:40 PM
Awesome job B---360 is friggin' insane man. 365 is my goal for 2004, damn. Good work.

ectx
01-04-2003, 03:56 PM

BB bench:

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 275 x 2, 315 x 1, 335 x 1, 360 x 1 (!), 265 x 6 (paused)

315 was SMOKED. Felt like 225. 335 was a bit uneven on the descent, but hit rock bottom, stabilized, and had good power going up. 360 was slow as hell. Good handoff, good descent, great off the chest, and about 4" up it slowed. Spotter touched it but didn't lift, and it creeped up. Lockout sloppy, but it's all good. Paused bench wiped me out. Next week is 365, and there I may stay for a few weeks to get comfortable with the weight, work on speed and form.

For a change of pace I decided not to spam your journal today...and believe me that's hard. Instead I'll say...senfreakingsational bench. I'd be happy with a lot less than that, but 360, outstanding *golf claps*...and with a scewy shoulder. Paused is at your sticking point...right?...I know you've mentioned it before...but I've been a little slow after I got hit by a flying homing Buick. *snicker*

Alex.V
01-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks dudes. :)

EC, wow, a serious post! :D Paused is actually right on my chest. The problem with my sticking point 4" up or so is that it's NOT the weakest point, I just expend so much energy lowering the bar and getting it off my chest that I tank out. Paused is right on the chest, touching. Then I focus on exploding up with enough speed to get the bar to lockout.

The homing buick worked! :D

Franjipani
01-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Lower back holding some water/fat. I will remedy that!

lol @ precise nature of fluid retention:p

Whoooooa, Extreeeeeeemly impressive lifting - Go you good thang :D.

ectx
01-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Thank's for the reply. I may yet bug you about my bench routine....as much as I've been holding out...this is not wannabebelial.com, LOL....I know who to bug now.

...and Buicks...why's it always have to be homing buicks? What a waste of a good alternator. :rolleyes:

*insert strange inexplicable JSG crack sounds here*

Alex.V
01-04-2003, 08:25 PM
GARF.

Bench routine! I like bench routines.

ectx
01-04-2003, 08:34 PM
down boy down.

white elephant, toe jam, snapple, blargh.
told you they were crack sounds

Alex.V
01-04-2003, 08:38 PM
arghenblargenjargen.

Just some girl
01-04-2003, 10:33 PM
*ahem* am i gonna have to patent those suckers? and i might add that you boys need some work. you don't quite have the skill needed to pull those off. more training in the way of the jewdi is needed.

ectx
01-04-2003, 10:54 PM
You are wise in the ways of the Jewdi. Dork Vader. Teach me your ways.

btw, I think my combination of white elephant and toe jam was phreaking brilliant.

xraygirl
01-05-2003, 05:13 AM
I think that "training in the way of the jewdi" is better. Along with "the dork side". The play on words is great ;)

Alex.V
01-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Geeks. ;)

Stop spamming my journal!

xraygirl
01-05-2003, 07:09 PM
:spam:

Have a nice day :)

Alex.V
01-07-2003, 09:21 AM
Ooh! *shakes fist in air*

Well, since Cloughface broke the board yesterday, I couldn't update.

So here's a brief one, since I'm sure I'll be updating again later:

Leg day:

It was okay... mixed bag. Depth in squats is finally good, but I'm hesitating too long at the bottom since I really don't have the 'feel' for that level yet (so I go slow and make sure I hit it)... caused me to miss my heaviest today.

Squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 405 x 1, 440 x 1, 460 x miss.

Damn. The other two heavy-ish ones were smoked, but 460... Like I said, descended too slow, tanked my strength before coming back up. Damn damn damn. Next week.

Did some walkouts working up to 585. (Full walkout to stance). Not bad, could go much heavier here.

SLDLs:

405 x 8, 405 x 8

Very easy. Very strict.

Leg press strip set:

22 plates x 4
20 plates x 5
18 plates x 6
16 plates x 5
14 plates x 5
12 plates x 5
10 plates x 5
8 plates x 5

Done with two unloaders (so no stand and 'relax'). Felt okay here until I stood up, then the nausea began. It's been a few weeks since I've done this. I forgot how much it sucks. lol

Calf raises, whole stack, two sets.

And got the hell out of there.

Diet- damn good.

Sleep- 8 hours?

And update later today!

Just some girl
01-07-2003, 10:39 AM
sowwy i sucked as a spotter for squats yesterday. :(

i was watchin your depth in the side mirror when i should have been keeping an eye on you. anyway, sorry kiddo. you looked wiped after that one. I'm amazed you had the chutzpah (and energy) to go on to do a stripset after that.

very impressive workout.

Alex.V
01-08-2003, 03:30 PM
Too much damn downtime, Yates. You're fired too.

And I forget the details of my back day, so I'll give it a guess.

btw, SEVERE DOMS in my legs and ass from that workout monday. It's been a while since the strip set.

Weighted pull-ups:

+45 x 10, +90 x 8, +90 x 5

Something like that. I need to start going heavy here again.

DB rows:

185 x 8/8, 165 x 16/11

16 was a PR, they pretty much flew up. Then on the left side, I strained by abs at the same time as my bicep tweaked (same damn injury), so I pussied out.

Bi-angular row:

8 plates x 10, 8 plates x 8

Again, I think. Decent strength, could have done more.

Concentration curls, first a drop set from 50 to 40, then straight sets with 45. I felt really stupid doing drop sets on arms, so I may never do these again.

Finished off with cable curls (stack for sets of 8).

Diet= excellent.

Sleep= a fitful 7 hours. Through class.

And again, boring update, but dinner is cooking and I'm starving.

ectx
01-08-2003, 10:00 PM
I just read the post where you called us geeks. Dude, I hadn't been called that since high school. In light of the recent discussions in your journal I'm quite frankly disappointed in you, Alex. I expected you to be a little more mature.
J/K…I revel in my geekdom. :D Haha.

:spam:

BTW, a wise member of WBB once told me never to reveal that my ass is sore. With that said…DB rows…and all of your leg and back workout…impressive as always. Your legs must be getting hyoooge with all that dropset therapy.

Well, I've come, I've spammed, my work is done.

WillKuenzel
01-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Sleep= a fitful 7 hours. Through class.Wow, that's a long class. I always got the best sleep during physics class.

Geeks rock!!

*headbangs*

Fudomyo
01-09-2003, 09:54 AM
If you do the DB rows and keep the pinkie side of the DB higher, it doesn't seem to use any bicep/brachialis. My left brachialis was pissed at me for 3 mo's, and that was the only way I could work back. You might that.

$0.02