PDA

View Full Version : HEY, why not.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Alex.V
05-31-2001, 09:08 AM
Okay, I've never really kept a journal, and I'm too lazy to update it regularly, so I'm basically going to post basic stats, 4 rep maxes on my lifts, and how the training days went.

Here are my stats:

5'11.5", 179 pounds (After workout this morning. I was cutting last week, and it went too far I think), 5-6% bf

Max lifts (4-rep max):

Chest:
BB bench: 225
DB bench: 2x90
BB incline: 185
Dips: 3x20

Back:
BB row: 135
DB row: 80
Pulldown: 200 lbs
pull-ups: 3x20

Legs:
Full squat: 225 (shaddap)
Deadlift: 300

Shoulders:
DB press: 2x60
BB shrug: 225

My intake is about 2800-3200 calories, my goal being about .5-1 pound of weight gain per week. I'd like to see the squat at 265, bench at 245, and deadlift at 335 by the end of the summer.

And I'll start logging this saturday.

-out

Alex.V
06-02-2001, 08:33 PM
Decent day today.

Diet= almost perfect (A few cals short)

Rest last night= bleh. Didn't sleep much. I'd say about 6 hours, not what I needed after a long week of work. I'm planning on crashing in about half an hour, so....

Training today= Good!. Dumbbell benched, up one rep on each set from last week. :) (2x90, 1 set of 8, 3 sets of 7) Incline suffered as a result, though. No improvement there (still 185). Weight is up 1 pound since monday, give or take.

Alex.V
06-04-2001, 08:04 AM
Kee-rist.

Yesterday was an awesome workout.

Repped out at 5x315 on the deadlift. It's so satisfying to see that bar sag from all the weight on it.... (haha... not) So that's +15....

I just realized that's only 20 pounds away from my end-of-summer goal. I don't want to overreach and end up injuring myself, but I think I can probably exceed 335 if this keeps up. I dunno, lately I'm feeling so fired up every time I hit the gym...

All other lifts for the day constant (I only tried to improve on the dead)

Diet- in order, except for some ice cream and birthday cake. :D Oh, and a symbolic glass of wine at midnight.

Rest- excellent (9 hours)

Alex.V
06-05-2001, 09:52 AM
Diet- perfect

Rest- very good

Workout- intense as all hell.

highlights: DB rowing the 85s now, did two sets of 20 pull-ups, then three BRUTAL, superslow negatives. I still can't raise my arms very high. :D Also hit BB curl negatives HARD. Ouch.

Weight up another .5 pounds.

Alex.V
06-07-2001, 08:05 AM
Woo.

Sleep SUCKED last night, but it didn't seem to affect me too much. *resolves to get more sleep tomorrow night*

This morning's workout was shoulders.

-BB shrug up to 235, felt easy.
-Dumbbell presses: 65 each; not bad. Would have tried the 70s, but some twat seemed to have hidden one of them. tuttut
-Lateral raises, still using the 35s.

Diet- perfect yesterday. Going out to a Brazilian restaurant tonight, which means tons of meat. Bleh. That'll fuxor my diet. Oh well, I'm bulking anyway. hahaha. :D

Alex.V
06-09-2001, 01:43 PM
Chest day-

Rest= great

diet= almost perfect

Workout= awesome. Didn't go up in any lifts, but added one rep to flat bench, and felt like i was exploding with strength. Even though weight didn't go up, form improved, felt stronger overall.

Hit negative dips, 2x15, last set a negative lasting full 30 on the way down, full 30 on the way up. Ouchie.

:eek:

Weight steady at 181.5

Alex.V
06-11-2001, 08:03 AM
Leg day:

Deadllift went up two reps, 315x7. Time to up the weight!

All other lifts stayed the same, but intensity and strength have gone up...

Diet: Very good. Broke it a little bit with dinner; went out to Chinese.. Managed to save it by ordering a whole steamed sea bass... The damn thing came intact on a plate. Ate it; about a pound and a half of fish.... Too salty, though; I'm feeling a little dehydrated and soft.

Rest: Sucked. Decent during the weekend, but sucked last night. Just couldn't get to sleep before midnight, so only 6:45 of sleep.

Weight: 183 (prolly water retention)

Alex.V
06-12-2001, 07:57 AM
Oh my lord, mommy's putting dbol in my dinner.

Not really, but my workout, once again, rocked.

6 (SIX!) rep maxes (NOT in the order I did the exercises, but whatever):

BB bent-over row: Up to 145 (+10)
DB row: 90x2 (+ 10 each DB)
Pulldowns: 210
Finally found a belt that weights could be chained on to.
Pull-ups: 3x8 @ 25, 1x5@35, 1 superslow @ 35
BB curls: 3x8 @ 115

Diet: poifect!

Sleep: lousy, as always.

And that's that. Weight= 182.5

My lats are KILLING me. Ouchie.

Alex.V
06-13-2001, 08:05 AM
Bleh. Cardio (5 mile run/jog, interval training style, 45 minutes total) I also did seated calf raise; I'm considering upping the volume on them to see how they respond. In the meantime, if anybody has a pair of calves they'd like to donate, I'd be most thankful.

Diet- excellent.. We had a barbeque tonight, so protein and fat was a bit higher percentage wise, but calories and meal spacing was excellent.

Sleep- GOOD! I needed it, too.

Still feeling like I got buckets of energy, I can already see that my delts, chest, and traps are filling out a bit. Nice. :) I got a tan, too. Therefore, i feel pretty. (If a little bloated)

Weight- 182.5

Alex.V
06-14-2001, 07:59 AM
Shoulder day.

Wasn't exploding with energy, but wasn't feeling weak, either.

Barbell shrugged 250.... I blasted the headphones, got fired up, and cranked out 3 sets of 7, no problem. My grip could use help, though. (Used the hook grip; my thumbs are still fried)

Shoulder press still at the 65's, managed to churn out an extra rep in sets 2 and 3....

Everything else stayed the same.

Diet: great! Cheated a bit at dinner; ate a few too many slices of white bread with the meal, but that's okay.

Sleep: ummm.....not too much. lol.

And that's that. Still feel on a bit of an overcharged "high".... hormones must still be going nuts. :D

.......I won't even talk about what THAT led to. lol

heathj
06-15-2001, 02:29 PM
5.4% bf?! You must be one ripped mofo.

Frankster
06-15-2001, 09:24 PM
yeah.. you must be awesome.. 5% bf at 180 lbs :eek: damn

Alex.V
06-15-2001, 11:47 PM
Feeling a little soft these days, though. :)

I'm almost 6 foot, though, so I'm not nearly as large as I thought I'd be at this point (182 lbs). Sad. :( Oh well. Back when I was 150, 182 seemed pretty big. lol.

The diet's working well, btw. Not much change in the measurements.

Alex.V
06-16-2001, 04:33 PM
Again, great workout. Flat bench still at 225, but now for 2 work sets of 5 solid reps. Not too bad, considering how weak my chest has always been.

Used the weighted belt again; did dips. (reps @ poundage) :

9 @ 25, 9 @ 35, 9 @ 45, 4 @ 45 (failed, end of workout, triceps fried)

Still feeling great. Weight: 183

Diet= perfect (except for some ice cream cake yesterday, but whatever)

Sleep= Finally think I got enough last night.

-out

Alex.V
06-17-2001, 02:33 PM
Leg again again. Upped my deadlift to 325 x 6. I think I got scary close to blacking out afterwards; I've got to concentrate on my breathing better. I'm not going to try to up the weight for the 2-3 weeks or so; Instead I'll work on upping the work sets a bit, and improving my form. I don't want to get in the habit of increasing weight for ego purposes or anything. With the amount it's gone up in the last four weeks or so, I want to give ALL my systems a chance to adjust to the increased load.

So yeah, it was an excellent workout, my legs and back are screaming, and life is good.

Diet= very decent. (Had a forkful of carrot cake at the bookstore; whatever. Everything else on target)

Sleep= it's the weekend. Is it possible to get too much??

:D

-out

Yaz
06-17-2001, 03:38 PM
Haha.

Two consecutive posts:

"Whatever" - I like it. :D

Alex.V
06-17-2001, 09:03 PM
"Whatever" means 95% of my training and diet are in order, so bite me. :D

Alex.V
06-19-2001, 08:32 AM
Ehhh..... Energy levels a little low. I'm attrbuting that to not enough sleep, and the fact that I missed my alarm this morning so I really had to rush to the gym. I gulped down my nasty pre-workout shake too fast, so I felt kinda crappy the whole time.

BB bent-over row: 145 x 7 145x7 155x5

DB row: 85 x 7, 85 x 6, 90 x 6

Weighted Pullups: 10 @ 25, 10@ 35, 6@ 45, 1 superslow @ 45

DB curls: 40 x 8, 40 x 8, 45 x 7

Diet: Not bad at all. A bit too high in protein yesterday, not enough carbs. That might explain my lethargy, too.

Sleep: Ah, f*ck sleep.

Actually, looking back, most of my lifts went up today. Still, the fire wasn't there. Go figure.
For the rest of the week, I'm going to concentrate on:

--Not increasing weight. I'm going to work on form.
--Getting enough sleep!!!!!!

Alex.V
06-20-2001, 08:04 AM
****ing Cardio (16 mile bike, interval training style, 45 minutes total) and seated calf raise. Calves definitely getting stronger, but not much larger.

Diet- Feh. Every meal in order until later in the day. We were out of cottage cheese, so my last meal of the day was screwed. I think it hurt me. My weight has actually gone down a bit since monday; I'm hoping it's glycogen depletion. I'm going to go 100% on the diet today, but unless I see a rebound tomorrow, I'm going to up the cals by 200-300.

Sleep- Nicht so schlecht.

Now I'm at the office. I think I'll take a nap.

-out

Alex.V
06-21-2001, 07:46 AM
Shoulders. Great! I think I've got my energy back. Weight is up a full pound after an extra cup and a half of rice last night; muscles feeling full again. I guess I WAS just depleted.

Barbell shrug up to 255, 3 good sets of 8. I almost want to up the weight again, but I'm taking it easy. i don't want to exceed my grip or back strength.

I didn't try to increase weight on the DB OHP, but I went for good form, slower reps, and overall more intensity. I'm still feeling an excellent pump all around my shoulder girdle. Yeah baby.

All other lifts the same.

Diet- Perfect. About 60 extra grams of carbs yesterday, though. I may just stick with this; I have a feeling my metabolism is working a lot faster, and my body is under a lot more stress because of the greater weight I'm throwing around.

Sleep- 8 uninterrupted hours. Good.

Alex.V
06-21-2001, 12:46 PM
hrmm..... Just reading the posts under training about push-presses. I'm considering switching those up in my routine; maybe mess around with shoulder day and put those in. I'd have to check my "muscles worked" chart to make sure it won't screw up any recovery times....

If anybody's reading this...got any thoughts? Push-presses instead of DB OHP?

Maddog
06-21-2001, 01:11 PM
I prefer DB presses Belial.

Tryska
06-21-2001, 01:11 PM
I'm reading it...and i say go for it...it doesn't really hurt to vary once in a while, and they look like fun.

but i'm no expert.;)

Alex.V
06-21-2001, 02:17 PM
hrmm. Yah, I suppose the muscles are worked differently, but I'm wondering if there's any value to using them, maybe by reducing the volume of other lifts, or even loosely periodizing with explosive/more olympic style lifts. (A week of push presses, power cleans, snatches, overhead squats, and speed benching would pretty much kick my arse, and might be a good bit of fun, too)

I dunno, I appreciate the opinions.

Tryska
06-21-2001, 02:31 PM
exactly...variety is the spice of life...and so is a good a$$-kickin. or at least that's what my mom said..prior to kickin' my a$$. anyway the fact that you are interested in changing up or adding to, in my opinion, signals a time for a change. even if it is just for a week or two.

Maddog
06-21-2001, 03:46 PM
I should have given you a reason for my answer Belial. The reason I prefer DB shoulder presses is because I'm not too crazy about the knee bending thing with the push presses. Although one would have the best intentions of not cheating, it would be easy to get caught up into using a bit too much legs in the lift for the sake of progression.

Alex.V
06-23-2001, 02:45 PM
Decent chest day. No improvement in bench, but intensity up, and speed of reps down. Still doing last two work sets at 225, and did two sets of flat DB bench, to check progress. 7, 5 reps with the 90s. Not shabby, I guess.

Weighted dips:

10@35, 10@45, 6@55, 3@55. Ouchie.

Diet- in order. Still eating the extra carbs, it's helped a hell of a lot. I'm considering upping them even further, but I'm already feeling much less lean than before, so I may just hold off, or screw with the macros a little bit.

Sleep- It's the weekend. Sleep is never a problem. 9 hours.

Weight is at 184, and I'm sore as a motherf*cker. :D

-out

Alex.V
06-24-2001, 02:00 PM
Okay....Legs.

I cranked up the work sets of deads:

8 @ 225, 7 @ 275, 7 @ 315, 7 @ 325, 5 @ 325, missed 335. :-(

I probably COULD have made the 335, but my legs were fried, and i know from past experience that I'd probably have started arcing my back. Wasn't worth it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, all other lifts the same. Calves, lower back, quads, and hammies (for the first time) are all nicely fried. i actually did my hams first, and I think I'm really feeling the difference.

Diet- Almost perfect. Fat intake a little low yesterday, but I think I'll live... Weight= a hair over 184.

Rest- Ja wohl. 8 hours. :D

'das it.

Alex.V
06-26-2001, 08:59 AM
My lower back and legs are still FRIED. I'm walking like Robboe would after a weekend in San Francisco.

As a result, Bent-over rows were just not happening today.

Training was good, though. DB rows are with the 90s for reps, I did 5 sets of weighted pullups. (1 warm up set of 15 with 10 lbs, 2 sets of 10 with 25lbs, 2 sets of 7 with 35 lbs.). Bicep curling the 45 dumbbells, and blasted them off with heavy barbell negative curls.

Other lifts were the same.

Diet was perfect. 3300 kcal even.

Sleep was excellent (for a weekday)

But weight hasn't budged. I'm thinking slight dehydration; the weather's been baking hot.

And that's my update.

-out

Alex.V
06-29-2001, 07:51 AM
Awww, WBB was down. Sucks. Well, things have been going well. Yesterday was shoulders.

Awesome workout. BB shrug @ 275, 3 work sets of 7.

Found some of those little magnetic attachments. Since we're lacking a 70 pound dumbbell, I couldn't do the 2 x 70 on the DB military, but I added 1.25 pounds to each 65. 3 sets, 8, 7, 5. Not bad.

Diet- Very good. Last night I went a bit over my calorie limit with a HUGE slab of veal (I was really hongry at dinner, I think that was a 27 ounce piece, but it's all good. :)

Sleep- ehhhh..... Not great. But it's friday. If I was gonna sleep crappy, good thing it was this late in the week.

Tryska
06-29-2001, 07:54 AM
hongry?

you have been south of the Mason-Dixon for way too long...your North Click is showin'...*lol*

Alex.V
06-30-2001, 05:07 PM
Chest again. Woot!

Barbell benched it. Last 2 sets: 230 x 6, 232.5 x 5 (I love those little magnetic fuqqers)

Weighted dips up A LOT:
(reps @ weight of plate)

10 @ 35, 10 @ 45, 9 @ 55, 8 @ 55, 1 superslow @ 55.

:eek:

That surprised me. i thought I'd fail MUCH sooner on the second set of 55, but I had enough juice to work the eccentric on a whole other set. Ouch!

Other lifts= same.

Weight = 185. Feeling a little soft.... Not sure if it's too much cottage cheese/tuna/ extra salt on the oatmeal/brown rice/meat. (sodium levels)

Anyway, rest was great, and I'm feeling good. I'm off to get dinner.

Alex.V
07-01-2001, 07:31 PM
I'm a focking dumbass. My lower back must not have been 100%......

Legs going fine. Hamstrings and calves taken care of; start the deadlifts....

225 warm up set... all fine.

275, 8 reps.... fine

315, 6 reps.... lower back feeling warm.....but not hurting,

325, 3 reps....1 more rep..lower back feels a bit weak, back....arches....BAM! Sharp pain. Lower the weight v-e-r-y slowly, stand up....ow.

It's not a spinal erector. I think it's either one of the intercoastals, or maybe even the top of my glute. Either way, there's some good pain right there. It's certainly muscular, and not a big tear at that; I'm 100% sure that I didn't throw out a disc, and there's no bruising/bleeding, etc. It's just very sore. Dammit.

So yeah, I'm going to take the next two weeks VERY easy.... No bent-over rows, no deadlifts ( WAAAHHH!!!!! :( ), and I'm lifting EVERYTHING, even my damn protein shakes, with perfect form. I don't believe it. So stupid. The weight wasn't even feeling too heavy, I was planning on shooting for 335 today. I just lost my form with a slightly weak lower back. damn. There's a lesson there.

Anyway, I'm bumping up the cals, esp. the last meal of the day. Extra protein and EFAs, hopefully to help with repair, and this week I'll play it very cautious... No mroe weight increases, I won't even push it. If the back is feeling stresses, I'll call it a day. No sense pushing through a routine, that'll just delay things even more. Either way, I'm feeling good otherwise. But damn....

c_8nOM
07-01-2001, 07:50 PM
Eat Tofu and use machine!:D

Alex.V
07-01-2001, 08:04 PM
ooooooohhh, you bastard. Thanks for rubbing it in. :D

Tryska
07-02-2001, 06:30 AM
sorry pumpkin....

that sux0rs.

use some tiger balm on it too....but stay away from that tofu...you know all about those soy isoflavones..;)

Anthony
07-02-2001, 09:07 AM
Well, look at the bright side. Santa has an excellent health benefit package and the busy season is still 6 months away. Plenty of time to rest.

Alex.V
07-03-2001, 08:25 AM
It was back day, but I took it easy.

I stuck mostly to weighted pull-ups:

(reps@weight)

10 @ 25, 10 @ 25, 8 @ 35, 8 @ 35, 5 @ 45, 1 superslow negative at 45

DB bent-over row: using the 90s, but the bum lower back is forcing me to keep my from ultra-strict. This may actually turn out to be a benefit!

Did T-bar row instead, 135 for 3 sets. Not too bad, but not a replacement for the bent-overs. :(

And that's it. Diet was slightly higher in calories (for repair), sleep was EXCELLENT, and....that's that.

Alex.V
07-05-2001, 07:42 AM
Dammit, this is driving me insane. Since I've been taking it easy and eating extra, I'm exploding with strength, but I can't push myself because I want my back to heal as quickly as possible.

I did shoulders today.

Added another 2.5 total to the dumbbells on OHP, which made each one 67.5....

BB shrug still at 275, but I felt like I could clean and jerk the damn thing. It'd be funny watching me try....but I don't have enough insurance.

Anyway, all other lifts were the same. I'm tired of doing ATF squats every time I want to pick up a plate.... *sigh*

Diet was perfect @ 3500 kcal; I'm probably going to ease back down today to 3100-3200.....

Sleep was not so good, but hey, it was july 4th...

:)

Alex.V
07-07-2001, 02:11 PM
Chestie.

DB bench.... warm up set with the 65s, then...

(number = per DB)

8 @ 85, 8 @ 85, 7 @ 90, 5 @ 92.5 (magnets), 3 @ 92.5

Weighted dips:

10 @ 35, 10 @ 45, 8 @ 55, 8 @ 55, 6 @ 55

Other lifts= same.

Weight = 186.5. Groar. That's a total of 7 pounds gained.... Not bad, a bit behind schedule, but that's fine by me. :)

Alex.V
07-08-2001, 12:11 PM
Woot. Got to do my squats. I haven't done them in a while, and my lower back is still not 100%, so I kept them at my crappy 225. 5 sets, reps: 7, 7, 6, 5, 4.

Not so impressive.

But i did lunges, for the hell of it. I usually do deads on leg day, so my routine included some basic back/shoulder work.... THe lunges seemed to fulfill this rather nicely....

Never done DB lunges before. Holy hell, even with a 75 in each hand my legs were on fire. I have a feeling I'm going to like doing these for the next few weeks.

Anyway, other lifts the same, body weight the same as yesterday, but I'm actually feeling a lot harder and stronger. Pulling those 75s off the rack...they felt like 30's.....

Sleep= good

diet= right on. Went out last night, but had fish and rice. Two mozzarella sticks for appetizer, but the rest of the day was lower in fat, so it prolly evened out perfectly.

-out

Alex.V
07-10-2001, 08:58 AM
Back day again, still taking it easy. No bent-over BB rows.

It sucks, I didn't sleep that well last night, so my pull-ups (My first lift) suffered a bit. Sluggishness, you know.

10 @ 25, 8 @ 35, 7 @ 35, 7 @ 45

DB bent-over row: 90s again, but upped the reps!

Did cable rows instead of T-bar.... 170 lbs, close grip. Not bad....I don't think it hit as hard as the T-bar, but still felt nice.

DB curling the 50 pounders. I know, pathetic, but still....

Other lifts....oh wait, there weren't any. :)

Diet was great, sleep (as I said) sucked, and the back is feeling MUCH better.

Alex.V
07-11-2001, 08:06 AM
I went running. Oh yes sir, I most certainly did. Yup yup yup. I slept really well last night..

Anyway, I love this routine. I feel harder and stronger than ever....my traps actually surprise me now...I think the separate shoulder day is doing wonders... I never knew I had rear deltoids! Anyway, I'm seeing incredibly good results so far, and it's dramatic enough that certain members of my family are insinuating that I may be "supplementing". This is, of course, laughable, but it was still a hell of a complement. I think my total increase so far, over the past 6 weeks or so, has been 5 pounds of muscle, 2-2.5 pounds of fat. That's really not bad. Not bad at all! Of course, every inch of that fat is doing its best to cover my abs, but hey....

Anyway, that's my update. Diet was perfect.

Alex.V
07-12-2001, 10:51 AM
Shoulders again.

Found the other 70 DB.....

Did the 70's on my last two sets of military.... 7, then 6.5 reps.

BB shrug up to 285.... I'm really feeling a huge overall strength increase since I've started this routine... I actually LIFTED the bar over the hooks without using my back...that means arms, delts, and traps pretty easily picked the bar up while I walked back. Amazing? Not really. But still, it feels good to be able to manipulate that much weight as easily as I am now.

Other lifts went up a bit, too.

Diet: about 3500 kcal again. I went a bit over because I didn't get enough proten early in the day, so i doubled up on the cottage cheese and metrx protein plus before I went to bed. Yum, lemme tell ya.

Sleep: Still my downfall, thank you very much.

Alex.V
07-14-2001, 10:38 AM
Chest day. Aww yeah

Went for barbell bench again. Decided to pseudo-wave load, just for sh*ts and giggles. Not realy wave loading with strict percentages and reps, but going up, then going back down before pushing a max....

135 x 10 warm up, then

185 x 8

195 x 5

205 x 3

190 x 7

215 x 5

235 x 4

Yeah, that's a lot of sets. Still, it was worth trying. That 190 x 7 felt easy, much easier than the first 185 x 8. I wonder if this is worth exploring a bit deeper.... Anybody with any opinions, especially the powerlifters?

Anyway, BB incline up to 190, 3 sets 7, 6, 6

Weighted dips:

10 @ 45, 10 @ 55, 8 @ 65, 1 superslow @ 65

So overall a very good workout.

Weight: 187

Diet: Went out to dinner last night....the Foie Gras screwed everything up a little bit, as did the chocolate tarte for dessert.... Whatever. So I came home and had a bit more protein than usual...Hard to tell exact ingredients in a restaurant. But overall, pretty good.

Sleep: 8 hours last night.

-out

PowerManDL
07-14-2001, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Belial
Chest day. Aww yeah

Went for barbell bench again. Decided to pseudo-wave load, just for sh*ts and giggles. Not realy wave loading with strict percentages and reps, but going up, then going back down before pushing a max....

135 x 10 warm up, then

185 x 8

195 x 5

205 x 3

190 x 7

215 x 5

235 x 4

Yeah, that's a lot of sets. Still, it was worth trying. That 190 x 7 felt easy, much easier than the first 185 x 8. I wonder if this is worth exploring a bit deeper.... Anybody with any opinions, especially the powerlifters?

-out

Read my thread on potentiation in the training forum, and look at the set you did right before the 190 lb set.

Power

Alex.V
07-14-2001, 06:36 PM
Done and done. It was Poliquin where I actually got the idea.... The story of the PLer who used wave loading in one session to go from a difficult 350 to a fairly decent 415 in the squat. This actually brings up an interesting point about getting the CNS fired up... It usually takes a high-effort lift to do this for me, especially in my early-morning sessions, but given that I work my big lifts first, I feel like I rarely do them justice. (By the time I feel like I'm ready to push it, I'm done with the lift)

Powerman, I thought the timing of your other thread was funny; i was just reading the Poliquin last night and figured "hell, why not." I guess bench press is one of those lifts where being warmed up and "mentally psyched" plays a huge part, and I know that I often don't work my muscles NEAR their potential when I simply pyramid up then stop. I may check out some more formal wave loading progressions and try working them into a bodybuilding routine (i.e., gear them for a 4-5 rep max at the final peak, rather than a 1RM) I've always hesitated, thinking that failure might hit me on the earlier "peaks" and I'd simply burn out before really hitting the "growth weights".

hrmmm

Alex.V
07-15-2001, 09:55 AM
Leg day. Very simple, bumped my pathetic squat up to 235 x 5...That's a good place to work from for now. I'm focusing on keeping form 100% strict...with my lower back right now, anything less is asking for trouble.

I've decided to make a go of the lunges; really incorporating them into my routine. I did 4 sets... (weight is PER DB, reps is per leg)

80 x 6, 85 x 6, 90 x 5, 90 x 5

All other lifts same.

Sleep= eh....

diet= Not bad. Not great either. Had Mexican food last night, but ordered the chicken fajitas and had shrimp for appetizer. Stuck to having rice on the side. i came home and worked it out, just for the hell of it, and realized that I'm actually not far off. :)

And that's that.

Alex.V
07-17-2001, 05:56 AM
Back day. Still used the T-bar rows instead of bent-over BB rows.... I don't like 'em. Did DB rows instead.

Weighted pull-ups:

10 @ 25, 8 @ 45, 8 @ 45, 5 @ 55, 6 @ 45

DB rows: last set at 92.5 each. :D

Finished up with DB curls @ 50 each.

Overall a very good workout.

Diet was on target for the day, weight is at 187.

Sleep last night: not bad! Not good, but not bad. just under 7 hours.

...and that's that.

Alex.V
07-18-2001, 07:55 AM
Running, abs, seated calf raises...

And lots of sleep. :)

Felt good this AM...things have been on track for the most part. I'm starting to feel a little burnt out from 5:30 AM workouts, but since I've been going to bed a bit earlier I'm feeling a bit....perkier. :D

Err....that's it. Not much to update.

Sleep: 8 hours

Diet: Except for a chicken sandwich yesterday (rather than chicken and oatmeal) it was perfect.

-out

Alex.V
07-19-2001, 07:52 AM
Shoulders. BB shrugged 295. I'm actually starting to love this lift; it's maybe not as visceral as the dead, but it still wipes me out pretty well.

Used the 70's again for military, not feeling too bad.

Overall a good workout.

Diet: Big ass motherf*cking steak last night. Dayum, that was good. hahahaa. But yeah, diet is again almost perfect.

Sleep: Got Gran Tourismo 3 last night, spent the better part of the evening trying to learn how to corner without spinning into a guardrail and wiping out half the field of cars. Oh well. But yeah, sleep= not so good. lol.

Alex.V
07-21-2001, 10:15 AM
Chest. Barbell bench again, but I decided I'd save a little bit for a single set of DB bench. Don't ask me why. I guess I feel more confident about my lifts if I'm using dumbbells at the same time. For me, they're the real reality check, and harder to cheat with.

145 x 8 warm up, then

185 x 6

195 x 6

205 x 5

190 x 6

215 x 6

235 x 4.5

DB bench, I did a single set, 92.5 (each) x7.

BB incline: 185 x 7, 190 x 7 (Cut down the volume here because of the DBs)

Cable crossover: Finally using 110 on each side. Ouch.

Weighted dips:

45 x 8, 55 x 7, 70 (!) x7

That last one surprised me.

Again, excellent workout, I felt.

Weight: 187 (still) Not really sure what's happening here. Dinner last night was pretty small (volume-wise) though, and it was HOT in the gym, so that might account for it.

Diet: Again, excellent. I used the tuna burger recipie someone posted up in the other section (IceRgrrl?), with 2 cans...anyway, it sorta fell apart so I threw in a whole bunch of brown rice and soy sauce and made a stir fry. haha.

The point of that was....absolutely nothing. Diet was almost perfect. (if a little high in sodium)

Sleep: 7 hours, give or take.

-out

IceRgrrl
07-21-2001, 10:21 AM
Hey B...if they fall apart it means they need more "stick". Try more egg whites and/or some breadcrumbs or oatmeal and mash it up until it's sort of a paste. It's one of those trial/error things...BTW, did they taste good?

Alex.V
07-21-2001, 04:08 PM
Damn good. :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll try that tomorrow night, probably. :D

Alex.V
07-22-2001, 01:31 PM
Blegh. My squat sucks. 245 x 4 for the last set. I felt my lower back start to tingle so i laid off. Shouldn't have, this is still a rather weak amount of weight. Oh well.

Still, another 20 pounds on this and I'll be happy(er).

Did front squats as well (clean grip): 185. Ouch. That hurts the quads.

All other lifts normal.

Diet: Better than perfect. bwahaha.

Sleep: 7.5 hours.

That's it.

Maki Riddington
07-22-2001, 03:22 PM
Keep plugging away.:)

Alex.V
07-24-2001, 06:22 AM
Ow. Mother****ing ow.

Powerman, I did it.

Weighted pull-ups:

8 @ 45, 3 @ 55, 5 @ 60, 8 @ 45

Holy hell, that 5th rep on the 5x60 felt like it was going to kill me. I don't know how long it took me to finish it, but it felt like a LONG time. (Probably only about 10-12 seconds, but that felt like an eternity.) haha

So yeah, I did it. bwahahahahahaha.

DB rows: up to 95 x 6 for the 2 work sets.

Other lifts the same

Sleep: sucked a bit.

Diet: had a barbeque yesterday. 1/2 lb. of lean ground beef and 2 turkey hotdogs made the day a bit high in fat, but other than that it was all pretty spot-on.

Weight: still 187.5, maybe inching over that a little bit....

Maddog
07-24-2001, 08:32 AM
Nice pullups.:cool:

Alex.V
07-26-2001, 08:01 AM
Shoulders:

BB shrug: 225 x 10, 275 x 8, 315 x 8, 315 x 7. Then my grip went bye bye.

Groar. :D

DB Military press: last sets at 71.25.

Lateral raises: using the 30s.

All else good.

Diet: Big slab of steak again which screwed up dinner a bit. Sheesh. So fat was a bit high. But other meals were great. I give my diet a 9.2

Sleep: After my personal day yesterday, I didn't feel so bad about getting only 6.5 hours last night.

That's that.

Alex.V
07-28-2001, 11:17 AM
Chest. I'm focusing on pressing motions, since my pecs are doing well, but my triceps and delts are failing too soon. So I dropped the crossovers for the day, and upped the volume on the presses. Again, BB bench, with 2 last sets with dumbbells. (One work, one burnout) I actually like the way this is working; I really bust my ass on the BB, and then burn out with DBs which hit those last stabilizers. mmm mmm good.

(!) = PR

145 x 8 warm up, then

185 x 6

215 x 5

205 x 6

225 x 5

237.5 x 4 (!)

DB bench 92.5 x 7, 95 x 4 (!)

BB incline: 185 x 7, 195 x 6 (!)

Weighted dips:

45 x 10, 70 x 7, 80 x 7 (!)

Weight = 188

Diet: Ruled. except for a small brownie with a scoop of ice cream last night (Cheat meal, wuhoo!) it was on track.

Sleep: 8 hours

Yeah, that's 4 personal records today. Even if I don't do sh*t for the rest of the day, I can go to bed happy. hahaha.

-out

Alex.V
07-29-2001, 10:57 AM
Legs:

Squats: last set 250 x 4. (!) I hope to keep increasing by 5 pounds per week; that probably won't be sustainable through the year (haha) but that's my goal. Jesus. Anything to escape my feeble squat stigma.

Front squats: 190 x 5 (!) on last set.

Overhead squats (for kicks): 2 sets at 135. hehehe. Lord, I suck at those. I keep feeling like I'm goin to fall on my arse.

Other lifts: the same.

Diet: perfect.

Sleep: 6.5 hours

And dat's dat. Feeling pretty good overall; my lower back is improving a lot, I'm pretty refreshed in the mornings, and at least one body part is sore every day. haha. But the recovery times are pretty perfect right now; soreness is generally gone after 4 days, and that leaves a few days of pure growth before the muscle gets truly worked again. Overall, I'm looking a good bit bigger; I don't think I've added much fat (Most of the layer over my abs formed within the first two weeks of this journal) Of course, my wide hips and large bone structure always make me look like I have less bulk (i.e. muscle) than I really do (until I stand next to someone the same height)

Well, that's my update.

-out

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-29-2001, 11:08 AM
Have you ever taken measurements B?

Y'know, like 8" along, 6" around etc...;)

Alex.V
07-29-2001, 11:58 AM
Oi. Yeah, just did with a metallic tape measure. Not the best, I know, but it gave me a rough idea:

(This is all cold, btw. I did legs this morning, but that was a while ago. Actually, I'm pretending that increased blood flow down there is reducing my arm size. haha)

Chest: 45.5
Waist: 32
Quads: 24.75
Calves: 15.5
Upper arm: 15.5
Forearm: 13.25

My upper arm surprised me...and it didn't. It's very vascular, and there's hardly an ounce of fat on it....but it's still small; my arms have never been large. Eh. Whatever. I go by the mirror. ;)

Alex.V
07-31-2001, 05:48 AM
*snort*

Weighted pull-ups:

8 @ 45, 4 @ 55, 4.5 @ 70 (!), 8 @ 45

Agh! Beat last week by 10 pounds! The first 3 reps: Easy as hell, I was all fired up for them. Reps 4 and 4.5..... not quite so easy. lol. Oh well, I'll keep working on it. My new goal: 2 45's by the winter.

DB rows: 96.25 x 7 on last set.

Other lifts the same

Sleep: 7 hours

Diet: Perfect. had an extra handful of peanuts before bed, but that's aiight.

....and.....that's it. in.....much.....pain. haha. cool. 70 pounds. bwahahaa. cool. :cool:

-out

Alex.V
08-01-2001, 01:12 PM
I would just like to add that cardio sucks when you're doing it, but it's kind of like hitting your head against a brick wall...it feels so good when you stop.

Anyway, 45 minutes of heavy interval training, calf work, ab work, and ate like a mofo.

Diet: On track

Sleep: Overslept again, so it was good! lol

Still feeling and looking the same past couple of days. I'm going to be on vacation next week, so I won't have access to a gym,. I'll bring a chain belt (for weighted pull-ups/dips) an EZ curl bar and 110 pounds of plates that I have gathering dust in my basement back home, and I'll see what I can do with those. Primary goal is to hit the beach and kick back, though.

Alex.V
08-02-2001, 08:15 AM
Shoulders today:

BB shrug: 235 x 9, 285 x 8, 325 x 6, 325 x 6. I have a feeling I'll work on my form from here for a bit.

DB Military press: last sets at 71.25 again, no improvement there. Worked on slowing them down a bit.

other lifts the same. Screwed around with the Cuban Press for a bit, so my shoulders are completely fried.

I also did two sets of very light deadlifts (225). I haven't done these since I strained my lower back over a month ago, but I felt absolutely no pain while doing them. I'll work them back in SLOWLY.

Diet= almost screwed. Had to hit two restaurants today, but actually managed to salvage it pretty well by sticking to fish and veggies.

Sleep= eh. Went out last night. So about 6 hours.

This is going to be my last gym session for a week and a half; I'm going up to Cape Cod until the 11th or so. I'm bringing the only home equipment I have: A chain belt (for dips and pull ups) and an old EZ curl bar with 120 pounds of plates.

I'm going to work on my lagging parts and synergist muscles for this week, since the only big compound lifts I'll be able to do are standing military, close grip bench (Not enough weight to do sh*t for regular), pull ups, and dips. I'll work on my arm strength (since they're lagging), spinal erectors, rotators, etc. Who knows, this week may end up doing me a lot of good.

I'll still try to do some front squats, snatches, SLDLs, etc, even though the weight is puny.... we'll see.

Right now, I'm just looking forward to the beach. :D

Alex.V
08-06-2001, 12:25 PM
Just thought I'd throw in a quick update. Even though I've got crap weights, I did skullcrushers, weighted dips, and weighted incline push-ups on chest day, and SLDLs, lunges, and overhead squats on leg day. I'm actually feeling sore in my tris, glutes, and hammys, so I'm still managing to get good workouts. Got me some good food, so my diet's on track, and if nothing else I'm getting lots of sleep. So things are, against all odds, still going well. :)

That's it!

-out

IceRgrrl
08-06-2001, 12:55 PM
Something is always better than nothing...I think you're being very resourceful :)

How's that beach?

Alex.V
08-11-2001, 01:51 PM
Beach was niiiice. :) Too bad I had to come back. :(

But here I am. After a 5 hour drive, I quickly got changed, drank about a gallon of water (more on that later) and hit the gym for my chest workout.

BB bench:

(!) = PR

145 x 8 warm up, then

185 x 6

215 x 3

185 x 6

215 x 6

230 x 4

5 minute rest, then

240 x 4.5 (!)

Tricep work + week of lighter workouts = progress. Hmmm. Okay, hell, I'll take it. :)

BB incline: 185 x 7, 195 x 7

Weighted dips:

45 x 10, 70 x 7, 80 x 6

So sue me, my tris were fried.

Weight = 186 before I drank the water. I think that the drive and days in the sun have dehydrated me a LOT. Even though my workout started strong, I could really feel the water depletion later on; my lips were actually cracked, and even after all that water almost 2 hours ago I still haven't taken a piss.

Diet was okay on the week off, I guess. Lots of fish and shellfish :) Lots of clam chowder :(

Sleep: excellent.

And that's it. Good to be back.

Alex.V
08-12-2001, 11:35 AM
Squats: 255 x 4 on last set. The week off didn't really do much for vastly increasing my strength, but I didn't lose any either.

SLDLs as well today; they're helping my back get back some strength.

Did 140 for overhead squats, just for grins. Those are fun.

Really.

Other lifts: the same.

Diet: Perfect.

Sleep: 7 hours.

Feeling good for my second day back. Much more hydrated, etc. This is my last week before I get back to school, too, so I hope to make it count.

-out

Alex.V
08-15-2001, 08:49 AM
Back yesterday (Cable modem down, so I have to connect via dial-up)

Pull-ups:

45 x 8, 55 x 7, 70 x 3, 75 x 4.5 (!), 65 x 6

Whoa. 75 pounds. 3 of them mid-sized fokkers. :-D My lats are actually hurting right now. that's a good thing.

DB rows: 100 x 7 (!) on last set.

Still DB curling the 50's. I'm not going to try to increase on those until I can get the reps up. My bi's hurt anyway, so I must have done something right. These bastards are gonna grow, dammit!

Diet- good. Cheated a bit at dinner with half a bottle of Far Niente. Ha. Well, it was worth it.

Sleep- :thumbup:

Dat's it. Weight- 188 still. :-( Must....eat....more. Well, that does mean it's official: I lost a pound that week at cape cod. And that's after "supplementing" my diet with a big bag (1.5 pounds) of almonds over the week to compensate for all the running, swimming, and...strutting. :D Shoot. Oh well, strength went up!

-out

Alex.V
08-15-2001, 11:07 AM
Screw taking it easy on the deadlifts. hahaha. Doing my BB shrugs, on my last set (335), racked the bar, and being my mad, impetuous self, I gave it a bit of a rest, then grabbed that thing and did 6 reps at 335.

Therefore, I have met my deadlift goal for the summer, oddly enough. :D

But other lifts were good. Didn't progress on DB press, because my left shoulder was feeling a bit shaky. I didn't want to push it.

Anyway, I'm sore as hell right now. I'm gonna take a nap.

Diet today- good so far.

Sleep- excellent.

that's it.

-out

Alex.V
08-17-2001, 09:12 AM
Chest day, and a very good one at that.

(!) = PR

BB benched to warm up, up to 240 x 4.

Then I hit two sets of DB bench: (2x90) x 8, (2x100) x 6 (!)

That's it. I used the 100's. Me = psyched mofo. Of course, that means my DB bench is getting dangerously close to my squat. lol.

BB incline 200 x 7 (!)

Weighted dips:

45 x 10, 55 x 7, 70 x 7, 80 x 7

Weight = 188.5

Diet= spot on!

sleep= SUCKED. but that's okay. I've been sleeping very well the last two weeks, so this one day won't kill me. I can't believe the progress i made in the DB bench. I was lying there pushing the DB's up and down, looking at those "100" printed into the sides (Hex DBs), going "Duuuuuude".

Anyway, good workout. And I'm probably out for a few days while I go set up my apartment down south.

-out

Alex.V
08-21-2001, 12:09 PM
Back at school.

Leg day:

Squats, last set 260 x 5

SLDLs still working light,

Front squats 190 x 8, 190 x 7

Overhead squats 135 x 7, 150 x 5

Calf raises, as heavy as the machine will go. I'll start working them one at a time.

Diet: Perfect, for the first time since I left jersey.

All around feeling much better. Apartment all set up; I'm still tired as hell from all the carting things up stairs, etc. There's another benefit to this lifestyle; I managed to carry a 120 pound computer desk (unassembled) over my head, all the way up two flights of stairs by myself. And I didn't get winded.

I'm kinda beat right now, so I think I'll take a nap. Later.

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-21-2001, 01:24 PM
are you ever gonna juice?

Alex.V
08-21-2001, 03:46 PM
The thought has crossed my mind. On more than one occasion.

Why do you ask?

Alex.V
08-22-2001, 11:17 AM
Back day

Pull-ups:

45 x 10, 55 x 7, 70 x 3, 80 x 3.5 (!), 70 x 6

Damn. I was hoping for 80 x 4. Well, my goal before I push to 90 pounds is to hit 80 x 6, then I'll up the weight.

DB rows: 100 x 8 on last set.

All other lifts the same. For some reason, my biceps were pumped as hell today. they actually hurt. It wasn't connective tissue, I'm sure of that; I could just feel the blood pounding in them, and they were hard as rocks.

Diet: a bit high in calories. :) Ate half of an entire chicken last night. It was the first meal i've cooked in the new apartment; threw that sumbitch in a clay pot with some veggies, whipped up some rice....and pigged out. Had a glass of wine with dinner and a Guinness later on in the night, too. But still, not bad overall.

Sleep: Great, again.

No clue on the weight. i need to find me a scale. Feeling strong, though. Looking at myself in the mirror back here in the weight room at school has let me see a definite difference.
-out

Alex.V
08-23-2001, 10:32 AM
Shoulders-

Durn it. Didn't progress in anything except DB shrugs. lol.

I'm thinking there are a number of factors for this. First, my workouts have been compressed (i.e., minus an interim rest day) because I had to skip a few due to move-in. of course, those move-in rest days were hardly relaxing, consisting of lugging really heavy things up numerous flights of stairs and having to deal with eating out for almost every meal. (I actually think my diet held up pretty well, but protein ended up a bit low, and there were more high-GI carbs than I would have liked.)

Anyway, BB shrug at 335, DB military was 70 (x2) x8, 70 (x2) x 6, 75 (x2) x .5 (Ow. Didn't make it up past the sticking point) 70 (x2) x 7. Since there are no magnetic weights at this gym, I'll try to get my sets to an even 70x8, 70x8 before I try for the 75s. Worked my rotators a lot as well.

So overall, not a bad workout.

Diet= perfect.

Sleep= 6 hours. :-(

Weight- still unknown. lol.

And that's that.

Alex.V
08-25-2001, 11:14 AM
Excellent chest day.

BB bench up to 245 x 3. I definitely had the juice for another rep; i was ready to start down but hesistated. For all intents and purposes, I'm 100% sure I've got at least 4-5 good reps at that weight.

Incline bench 185 x 8, 200 x 7

Weighted dips 45 x 8, 70 x 8, 85 x 7

Other lifts the same.

Diet= a bit high in fat yesterday, but overall very good.

Sleep= perfect.

Weight= still no clue. I'm feeling much stronger, though, and looking a bit bigger, especially in the back and glutes, (haha. Fatass. Not really. Squat butt) So yeah, I think it's going well.

That's it.

-out

Alex.V
08-26-2001, 11:37 AM
Leg day:

Squats: last set 265 x 5, didn't feel that hard. I'm definitely upping the weight on these; I'll shoot for 270 x 6 next week if I feel up to it.

SLDLs still very light; I'm using 150.

Front squats 190 x 8, 200 x 7

Overhead squats 135 x 8, 150 x 7

Other lifts the same.

Diet: Good, except for two drinks last night; came out to about 2 shots of amaretto (with some sour mix) and half a shot of kahlua. Not too bad, though.

Overall, I'm feeling great. The weight according to the scale: 188.5. i.e., still the exact same; but I'm feeling stronger. I have no idea. It's a different scale? lol.

That's that.

-out

Alex.V
08-28-2001, 11:41 AM
Back day:

Pull-ups:

45 x 10, 60 x 7, 70 x 5, 80 x 4 (!), 70 x 6

Not too bad. Still shooting for 80 x 6 before I up the weight.

DB rows: 105 x 7 (!) on last set. Damn, these hurt so good.

All other lifts about the same.

Sleep: 7.5 hours.

Diet: right on. Had lasagna last night; the macros are a little whack on that, but my protein intake was still high and calories about within the ideal range.

Feeling great overall. Gotten quite a few compliments on my size increase from people that I haven't seen in a while. That's always nice. And the fact that I now lift more than 95% of the gym is gratifying as well.

And that's that.

-out

Alex.V
08-30-2001, 03:00 PM
Shoulders:

Made up for my lack of progression last week, even though I was still feeling a little weak.

DB military: (75x2) x 6 on the last set.

Deadlift: 335 x 6 for last set.

DB shrugs: still the 110's.

Diet= perfect.

Sleep= 7 hours

Weight- Stagnant. I'm considering upping the calories even further; I think the greater activity level back at school (running around campus, etc.) is really cutting back on my bulking potential. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm walking an extra 2 miles every day; that adds up.

We'll see how my lifts go this weekend.

-out

Alex.V
09-01-2001, 11:24 AM
Chest day was so-so.

I think the wave loading on the BB bench, now that I'm at heavier weights, is starting to be a bit excessive. It was okay to do numerous sets when my highest was 225, but now I'm fairly sure I'm doing FAR too many work reps. Anyway, I think I'll lower the volume. 245 x 3.5 (!) was my last set.

BB incline: 205 x 7 (!) on last set.

Weighted dips: 90 x 6 (!) on last set

Overall, I just ran out of steam from that benching. Time to step back and re-evaluate.

Diet= very good. Cheated a bit last night, but whatever. (2 beers)

Sleep= So-so. This didn't help either. Didn't lack for hours, but I just don't feel that rested.

That's it. Crummy day outside. I think I'll go watch some TV.

-out

IceRgrrl
09-01-2001, 11:26 AM
Psst...I just started a rumor...

www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611

Alex.V
09-01-2001, 12:17 PM
You weren't supposed to tell anyone. :cool:

Alex.V
09-02-2001, 11:11 AM
Leg day:

I'll shoot for 270 x 6 next week if I feel up to it.

I did it. Decent leg day. Back squat (like I said) 225 x 8, 245 x 7, 265 x 4, 270 x 6.

Front squats, 205 x 7, 205 x 6

SLDLs still light, 155 x 8, 155 x 8

Overhead squats: 155 x 5, 155 x 5

Calf raises I'm now doing one leg at a time, using 150 + the bodyweight sled.

So yeah, good training day. The bars that are in the squat racks are starting to unscrew, though. I brought this up with the guy sitting at the desk and he said (I sh*t you not) "I'll make a note of it". Don't make a note of it you f*cking retard, go f*cking fix it before the sh*t falls apart and injures somebody!!! I grabbed the hex wrench and fixed it myself.

grrrrr

Sleep: 7.5 hours

Diet: cheated a little bit; had a burger last night for meal # 5. *looks down* Abs still there. haha.

thas' it.

heathj
09-02-2001, 03:15 PM
*Laughs at 270 x 6. ;) I'll be at 370 x 6 by next year easy foo!

Alex.V
09-02-2001, 03:21 PM
Out of my journal, you little tennis-playing homo.

Hey, I told y'all my squat has always been my weak point. Check the progression since the start of the journal, though.

Alex.V
09-04-2001, 02:58 PM
Awesome back/bi day.

Thought I was at 85 x 4 on weighted pull-ups last week, so that's what I did for my third set. (45 x 8, 70 x 6, 85 x 4 (!)) then I hit 90 pounds for sh*ts and giggles. I got two solid reps, and the third one i managed to make it 2/3 of the way to the top. I twitched in agony for exactly 15 seconds; an eternity, and then I collapsed on 'em. Next week I'll hit 90 pounds on the third set and shoot for 4 good reps. i KNOW I was just out of juice, the strength is there, dammit. Anyway, finished it off with 8 more at 45.

All other lifts the same. The amount of exertion I spent on those pull-ups fried me completely, so I didn't expect to progress in much else. ;)

Sleep: 7

Diet: perfect. But weight is stagnant. i'm upping the calories today. I'm not feeling overtrained at all, so that's certainly not the problem, and my strength is still going up, but I think i could honestly just use more fuel. I add another 150 calories or so tomorrow; most of ithis extra from now on will go in a pre-workout shake.

heathj
09-04-2001, 03:11 PM
I knew you were taking juice ;)

Alex.V
09-04-2001, 04:14 PM
tuttut tuttut

Fructose is bad for you.

Alex.V
09-06-2001, 11:29 AM
Shoulders:

Didn't progress in the DB military. That's okay, the 75's are a strain, and I'm not ready to jump up to 80 at all. I'll focus on depth of reps and form; they still burn just fine, and there's no sense frying my triceps twice a week.

Deadlift: 345 x 6 (!) :-D Good. Lower back still holding out nicely.

Diet= perfect. Upped the calories a bit; we'll see what happens.

Sleep= <7 hours. I need to work on this a bit more; I'm staying up pretty late for no good reason. :(

But yeah, good lifting day. lots of energy, feeling pretty good right now.

Alex.V
09-08-2001, 11:23 AM
Screw lack of progression. I actually had a few drinks last night, and this morning rehydrated like a b*tch. i think the conscientious water drinking really helped. Combine this with the better mood I've been in lately, as well as increase calories, and....

BB flat bench: 250 x 3 (!) on the last set. Started the waves higher (at 205), and had plenty of juice left.

BB incline: 195 x 8, 210 x 6 (!)

Weighted dips: 45 x 8, 70 x 8, 100 x 7 (!) on last set. This made a few people do double-takes.

So, a very good day. I'm pumped. ;)

Diet= right on, except for the long island iced tea and Guinness I had last night... But drank plenty of water, so it's all good.

Sleep= 7.5 hours.

Still looking pretty tight, feeling strong, and....that it.

-out

Alex.V
09-09-2001, 12:07 PM
Squat up 10 pounds, anybody? 280 x 5.5 (!); I felt the lack of juice going down for the sixth one, so I cut it off. Not bad. That number is almost starting to become respectable.

Front squats: 210 x 6, 210 x 7 (!)

Overhead squats: 160 x 6, 160 x 6 (!) I felt like vomiting after these. No joke. I either need to focus on breathing or just learn to deal with the sensation. jesus.

Anyway, diet was on track, sleep was as always not so good. But sh*t if I didn't get a lot stronger this week!

That's pretty much it. I'll weigh in again next time I'm already in a bad mood. lol.

syntekz
09-09-2001, 12:13 PM
Ya. That squat is still an awesome weight; to me at least. I'm just waiting to throw on that third plate on the bar. It'll probably be at least another 6 months for me though.

What you do overhead squats for? ( Curious what else they work )

Alex.V
09-09-2001, 12:28 PM
I like 'em for balance. They're reasonably heavy shoulder work, which is why I restrict them to two sets. But doing them really makes me focus on going slow, keeping my back straight, and my stance upright. If I didn't, I'd lose the bar; so they help me correct small errors to squat form.

They do a lot for my abs and lower back as well, since the extreme angle uses a lot of stabilizers. I dunno, they're very visceral; I do feel stronger since I've started doing them, kinda like when you first start deadlifting. :D

syntekz
09-09-2001, 01:12 PM
Ya; I remember the first time I saw someone do them. It was this kid, about 175 lbs, and he throw up 225 over his head and squatted to the floor and back up again. My mouth dropped!

Alex.V
09-09-2001, 07:19 PM
Aye. C&J is tough, but to actually hold that sucker up there for 35-40 seconds while moving up and down is BRUTAL.

heathj
09-09-2001, 11:30 PM
This coming from a guy who can squat 205 x 4. :rolleyes:

Alex.V
09-09-2001, 11:39 PM
huh?

heathj
09-10-2001, 12:04 AM
Nothing, just making fun of your weak squat :p

Alex.V
09-10-2001, 10:15 PM
Um, yeah. Right.

Anyway, I've decided to be bold and crazy tomorrow:

For the pull-ups:

45 x 8, 70 x 6, 92.5 x 4, 70 x 8. That's the plan. We'll see.

*eats lots of peanuts*

Alex.V
09-11-2001, 12:06 PM
Doh! my mind, for obvious reasons, was not on my workout today. I got news that my dad is fine, so that was a relief.

Back day:

Pull-ups
45 x 8, 70 x 6, 92.5 x 3.5 (!), 80 x 5. Dammit. Didn't get the 92.5 x 4, and went too hard on the last set.

Dumbbell Rows: 100(x2) x 7, 105(x2) x 6, 110 (x2) x 5 (!)

Other lifts the same. I'm going to start prioritizing biceps again; they're still the weak link.

Diet: VERY high in calories yesterday, thanks to a 17 ounce sirloin steak (boneless). Damn, that was good.

Sleep: eh, 6.5 hours.

Overall a good workout, but it's a little hard to get too psyched about it right now. I'm back off to watch the news.

-out

Tryska
09-11-2001, 12:37 PM
hey b - i'm so glad your dad is okay. :)

Alex.V
09-12-2001, 08:39 PM
me too.

Goal tomorrow will be a 350 deadlift off the pins. I'll go for 6 full reps....we'll see. And I'll work on tempo with the DB military.

I like this; updating prior to workouts. Even if I'm not at the gym I start getting fired up for it.

Anyway, ate a sh*tload of food today, so I'd better have some energy. ;)

Alex.V
09-13-2001, 11:08 AM
Unf. Yeah baby. i got a bit of motivation last night, got myself fired up this morning, and had an amazing (but short) workout.

I think there's been so much boiled-up rage in me....

Seated DB military has not increased (still with the 75's), but I'm doing 7 solid reps. I'm still progressing with all the involved muscles (triceps, delts, etc.) in other lifts, so I'm not worried about lack of progression in that particular lift. i wish they had magnets; 10 pounds (using the 80's) is a big jump to make. :(

Deadlifts: 225 x 8, 315 x 8, 350 x 6 (!)

Other lifts the same, but very good. Energy was at an excellent high; I've got to re-evaluate my diet to see what I'm doing right. I think I'm just eating sh*tloads of food. haha.

Sleep was pretty good at 7 hours.

So yeah, that's my update.

Alex.V
09-15-2001, 11:07 AM
Well sh*t. I keep waiting for my squat to start outpacing my bench by more than 30 pounds. haha. Doesn't look like it's going to happen this week.

Warmed up on bench:

135 x 8, 205 x 6, 235 x 6, 255 x 3.5 (!)

Went over to DB's for work sets:

(95x2) x 8, (105x2) x 6 (!)

Two sets of inclines:

205 x 7, 215 x 6 (!)

Two sets of weighted dips:

+70 x 8, +105 x 6 (!)

That means I added 5 pounds to every single lift this week. okay, I'll take it.

Sleep: excellent

Diet: 1 beer last night, but other than that, it was spot on.

Weight: I have no idea. ever scale since I've gotten back has given me a different number, some lower than the ones back home, one of them higher. I'm going out at some point and buying one, just so I can take a CONSISTENT measurement.

But yeah, feeling good. :D

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-15-2001, 11:20 AM
Must have been the beer.

You in this comp or what?

Alex.V
09-15-2001, 12:02 PM
What comp is that?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-15-2001, 12:03 PM
WBB comp.

Don't try and pretend you don't know...:)

Alex.V
09-15-2001, 12:06 PM
lol. The pics one? I don't have any before pics (maybe a year old), but I'll post a pic in december or something. We'll see.

Alex.V
09-16-2001, 11:06 AM
Legz, yo.

Squat up to 285 x 5.5 (!) on third set. 5 pound increase.

Front squats: 225 x 6, 225 x 6 (!). uhh, yeah. 15 pound increase there.

Overhead squats: 165 x 6, 165 x 6 (!) Easy. I can't wait to hit 225 on these, they're an awesome lift. Getting the clean down is the hardest part; now that my wrists are used to the roll, it's much easier and I start out with good balance, rather than having to correct myself while under the load.

SLDL's- just one set: 205 x 8. Yes it's a PR, but I'm not giving these my all; I'm still working up while monitoring my back. I could probably load another 50 pounds on it and be fine, but... better safe than sorry.

Calf raises...um...up 5 pounds. hehehehe.

Diet= perfect

sleep= 7 hours.

Weight= stop asking, dammit! :D

That's that.

heathj
09-16-2001, 02:08 PM
Hey Belial, I think you should do a cutting cycle.

Alex.V
09-16-2001, 03:16 PM
You're right.

*smack*

PowerManDL
09-17-2001, 10:24 PM

Overhead squats: 165 x 6, 165 x 6 (!) Easy. I can't wait to hit 225 on these, they're an awesome lift. Getting the clean down is the hardest part; now that my wrists are used to the roll, it's much easier and I start out with good balance, rather than having to correct myself while under the load.

Clean? No, no, no! OH squats are done with the wide snatch grip. At least properly. Pull the bar overhead and descend that way. Narrow "clean grip" is cheating.

Alex.V
09-17-2001, 11:16 PM
No no no, silly. I don't clean them with a grip that's narrow. it's downright impossible for me to hold the bar with any stability like that during the squat, actually. It's actually much closer to the snatch width, arms about "imaginary lat syndrome" width apart. I simply hang clean the bar up with arms much wider than they'd normally be, and jerk it into the overhead position. (I don't snatch it up because my snatch technique is truly awful; I'm working on it, though)

An Olympic Lifter (and a good one at that) showed me how to do these; my form is damn good thank you very much. :D

PowerManDL
09-17-2001, 11:56 PM
Just making sure. You know how I hate bad form. Or is that bad beer? Is there really a difference?

Alex.V
09-18-2001, 12:04 AM
Drinking bad beer IS bad form, amigo. ;)

Alex.V
09-18-2001, 11:51 AM
Oi, sometimes it takes a workout with another person (thanks doc) to figure out where the problems come in. ;)

Didn't progress, but there are a few weak points in the routine:

Weighted pull-ups:

I'm doing too many warm-up reps at a light weight (bw + 45). I'm already doing 2 sets of hanging leg raises prior, there's no need to warm up like that.

New method:

(bw + 60) x 5
(bw + 70) x 6
(bw + max (95 next week?) x as many as possible.

Bent over DB rows: I'm pushing to failure in the right arm, then immediately going to the left. The problem is, after doing 6-7 reps with 105 lbs, there's not much juice left in the tank. Solution: First set: start with right, go to left.

Second set: start with left arm, go to right.

We'll see how this goes next week. Still, a damn good workout.

Sleep= not very good. Woke up in the middle of the night after a whack dream.

Diet = perfect.

Weight = errr...... ;)

Alex.V
09-20-2001, 11:05 AM
Shoulders again. I'm seriously considering dropping the DB OHP, and switching to standing BB military. I did one light set of those just for grins and I can already feel the pain.

Deadlifts: 225 x 8, 315 x 8, 360 x 7 (!)

Christ. That's a big deadlift for me. And that was a lot of reps. I can hardly move. I'm considering skipping my afternoon class. Is that bad?

I 0wn j00, bar!

Sleep= 7.5 hours

Diet= UNF! good.

Miscellaneous: Damn, that's a sexy deadlift. Aiight, so it's still weak compared to y'all. It's good for me, though. *sulk*

syntekz
09-20-2001, 11:19 AM
What way are you facing your palms on your pull ups and how far apart you have your hands?

That deadlift is nice; real nice.

Alex.V
09-20-2001, 11:43 AM
Pull-ups--- Pronated (palms away), just about shoulder width.

And thanks. :D

syntekz
09-20-2001, 12:01 PM
Do you find that wide-grip is harder? I do wide-grip chins and they are impossible. Thinking about closing in my grip a little.

Alex.V
09-20-2001, 01:56 PM
Wide grip just feels awkward to me. I haven't done them in a while, so I couldn't tell ya.

I can do an iron cross, though. :D

Alex.V
09-22-2001, 10:44 AM
Chest again. I was going to hit the 255 again, just to solidify the weight, but.... I decided to mix up my warm-up as follows:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 245 x 2
Then I was going to hit 255x4.

Well, the 245 felt so easy, that I went ahead and did:

260 x 3.5 (!)

Ahhh. Imperceptible sag in the bar, I'm told.

No improvements in the DBs, I did the same as last week. I'm not ready for a ten pound jump just yet.

(95x2) x 6, (105x2) x 6

Two sets of inclines:

210 x 7, 220 x 6 (!)

Two sets of weighted dips:

+90 x 8, +110 x 7 (!)

1 heavy set of cable crossovers.

So that's 5 lbs to BB bench, 5 lbs to bb incline, and 5 lbs to weighted dips. :D

Diet= cheated a bit last night with a lasagna and a few beers, but it was good the rest of the day.

sleep= 7 hours.

Good workout, then. I've been pretty lucky in avoiding a plateau so far. I hope I keep improving.

Franco
09-22-2001, 01:25 PM
Weight = errr...... ;)

;) :thumbup:

syntekz
09-22-2001, 03:51 PM
Belial; just curious what your stats are right now? And do you think dips have helped you greatly in upper body strength?

Alex.V
09-22-2001, 04:39 PM
Actually, I'm not quite sure what my stats are. I'm definitely a bit heavier than I was at my last weigh-in, and the bodyfat level looks roughly the same. I haven't really done a full workup because I don't own a scale that I can use consistently; I'll probably be getting one next week.

But the dips: hell yes. They're probably one of my favorite exercises, both because they absolutely trash my triceps, and also because the stability needed to do them is tremendously good full-body stress.

Certainly if you want proportional strength, I think they have a place in most people's routines.

syntekz
09-22-2001, 05:56 PM
I started doing them for part of my upper body workout; they haven't really bothered my triceps yet. But they rip my chest open; I'm actually sore right now.

Alex.V
09-23-2001, 11:22 AM
hahahaha oh hell oh hell oh holy hell my legs feel like they're going to drop off.

Squats: 135 x 6 (warm up), 245 x 6, 275 x 6, 290 x 6 (!) Up 5 pounds, and .5 reps.

Front squats: 225 x 6, 230 x 6 (!). Up 5 pounds.

Overhead squats: 165 x 6, 170 x 6 (!) Again, felt easy. i'm not going to do something stupid like bumping up the weight ten-fifteen pounds, then falling on my ass or pulling something in my back, though.

SLDL's- one set again: 210 x 8. Yeah, another PR. So frikkin' what. My back is holding up VERY well one these, and they're really blasting my hammies. I may re-evaluate where I am, strength-wise on 'em. then again, they seem to be working just fine, and having a "BIG SLDL" was never a goal of mine, so I may just keep the progression the same.

Calf raises...um...the same? :D

Diet= lol. Not so good. Had a bacon cheeseburger with some fries yesterday for one of the meals. then again, every other meal was spot on, so.... I'd give the day a 7.5

sleep= 7 hours.

Weight= eat me.

Alex.V
09-25-2001, 11:27 AM
Real good back day. I think I'm going to work in bent-over BB rows, they're killer.

Weighted pull ups:

60 x 6, 75 x 5, 95 x 3 (!), and a REALLY long negative afterwards.

DB rows: 105 x 7 in each hand.

Bent-over BB rows:

150 x 7, 160 x 7 (!) I haven't done these at all lately, so they're still relatively weak, but they'll get up there.

Curls still the same. :D

Diet= perfect

Sleep= 6.5 hours

Weight= dunno. Abs are still popping out, back looks well defined, chest still lagging... I can pinch a little bit in my love handles and on the bottom ab, so I'm definitely gaining some weight....

heathj
09-25-2001, 11:36 AM
No deadlift?

Alex.V
09-25-2001, 01:56 PM
Thursday, bro.

Alex.V
09-27-2001, 11:21 AM
Shoulders:

Warm up set on DB OHP, (75x2) x 8

Standing barbell military 135 x 7, 135 x 8
These feel really good; quantitatively the weight was not hard, but I don't really have the motion down 100%. I'll keep at 'em.

Deadlifts: 225 x 8, 315 x 8, 365 x 6.5 (!)

Up another 5 pounds. 405 no longer seems like a ridiculous amount of weight for me; I'll get there soon enough.

Other lifts the same. Felt strong as hell today, full of energy, and I have no obligations until 9:00 PM tonight.

Sleep = 7.5 hours

Diet = perfect.

Weight = tuttut

hehe.

-out

syntekz
09-27-2001, 11:23 AM
You max out with your deadlifts before? or yet? I'm sure you can get 405 pretty easily.

IceRgrrl
09-27-2001, 01:00 PM
That deadlife is pretty sexy, B! ;)

Alex.V
09-27-2001, 03:45 PM

Not half as sexy as...

oh, forget it.

MA, no, I haven't tried maxing, and I don't plan on it. After my little snafu early in the summer, I'm still taking it easy on the deads. Maybe in a few months or so I'll see how much I can get for a double or triple. We'll see. :)

Alex.V
09-29-2001, 10:39 AM
Chest.

Tore it up again; excellent workout. Actually found a good spotter (guy in the marine corps, down here visiting a friend), so I felt all right doing the following:

Flat BB:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 245 x 3, 265 x 3.5 (!)

He gave me fingertip assist on the third, and about 5 pounds assist on the fourth.

Incline BB:

210 x 7, 225 x 6 (!)

Weighted dips:

+70 x 8, +90 x 7, +115 x 6 (!)

Damn. Two big plates, one medium plate. These absolutely destroyed me. My tris are still pumped from them.

Cable crossovers: no change. ;)

Diet= except for a pint last night, diet has been great.

Sleep= 7.5 hours.

Everything's going well, I think. Still not plateauing in anything, so I'm sticking to this routine. I've more or less progressed consistently since the beginning of this journal. i couldn't be happier with my progress.

-out

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-29-2001, 10:47 AM
you is a strong mofo B.

you got any pics?

Alex.V
09-29-2001, 11:01 AM
Not yet, man. I'm definitely going to take some before the year is up, though. Just a LITTLE bit more size.... lol. :D

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-29-2001, 11:03 AM
enter the wbb comp then.

IceRgrrl
09-29-2001, 11:14 AM
Yeah, Belial...where's the pics? (Notice that I'M being polite and not implying anything R-rated, like SOME people when they mention pics ) :p

Alex.V
09-29-2001, 02:53 PM
Well sh*t, IceR, I guess we could work out a deal........

:D :angel:

Alex.V
09-30-2001, 11:09 AM
Damn good leg day. Finally threw the 35's on outside the 2 big plates, for the following:

135 x 8, 245 x 6, 275 x 6, 295 x 6 (!)

300 next week. I can taste it. I'm psyched, that's pretty good for my (proportionately) weakest lift.

Front squats:

225 x 6, 235 x 6 (!)

SLDLs:

215 x 7, 215 x 7 (Yeah, PR again, so what)

Overhead squats:

Now THIS was cool.

155 x 6, 185 x 6 (!). Funny, I never really pictured tossing that much weight above my head and holding it there. Again, these almost made me vomit. Good feeling. :D
(Edited. I guess i did ten more pounds than i thought)

A 45 and a 25 on each side. Killer.

Calf raises the same. haha.

Diet = perfect. High in cals, but otherwise great.

Sleep = 8 hours. :D

that's that.

Alex.V
09-30-2001, 11:11 AM
Why the hell can't I change the subject up above? It gave me that subject by default. I guess that was my whole/multi grain leg day. Way to go, UBB! ;)

Alex.V
10-02-2001, 11:27 AM
Another good back day. I'm progressing again, but I may just tone down the weight on the pull-ups, and go for increased reps.

Weighted pull ups:

60 x 6, 80 x 5, 97.5 x 3 (!), again slamming a long negative.

DB rows: 110 x 7 (!) in each hand.

Bent-over BB rows:

155 x 8, 175 x 7 (!)

Whoa, big enough jump. Still not much weight, but enough to give me that pounding feeling in my back. ;)

Curls still the same. :D

Diet= perfect

Sleep= 7 hours.

All else is good. I just realized today that sunday I actually did 185 in the overhead squats. I don't know exactly how I missed that, but I'm going back to fix it now.

Wow.

I'm impressed with myself. lol.

Alex.V
10-03-2001, 10:31 PM
Going for 370 x 6 in the deads tomorrow.

*eats peanuts*

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-04-2001, 02:45 AM
damn bel, your lifts keep jumpin', jumpin'

your db row is coming close to mine dude.

Alex.V
10-04-2001, 07:44 AM
And my abs are fadin fadin......

Well, sorta. hehe. :cool:

Alex.V
10-04-2001, 11:31 AM
Shoulders:

Same warm up set on DB OHP as last week, (75x2) x 8

Standing barbell military 135 x 7, 145 x 6.5 (!)

Ouch. These are HARD, dammit! hehehe.

Deadlifts: 225 x 8, 315 x 8, 370 x 7 (!)

Oh shoot, that's one more rep than I was hoping for. Wuhoo.

Other lifts the same....

Overall not a bad day. Still feeling somewhat like crap, though. Bah. *cough* *snort* Allergies.... ;)

Sleep= 7.5 hours

Diet= Lots o' cals. :D

das' it.

Alex.V
10-06-2001, 10:56 AM
*ahem*

Pretty good chest day.

BB bench for warm-up.

135 x 8, 230 x 6, 245 x 2, 270 x 3 (!) (The last rep may not have been a complete range of motion on the way down; I copped out a bit. But it wasn't to failure; I HAD that rep, dammit)

Incline BB:

210 x 7, 230 x 7 (!)

One set of DB, just to see if I could take the 110's.

(110 x 2) x 7 (!)

Yeup.

Weighted dips: (Down a set, because of the DB presses)

+90 x 8, +120 x 7 (!)

The gym actually went quiet. Cool. :D

Cable crossovers: No change.

hehe.

Diet- Pretty good, except for dinner last night. Chicken and shrimp fajitas (fine), but a few too many nachos and a beer. Not so good. But plenty of cals, plenty of protein, plenty of EFAs.

Sleep- 8 hours. :)

Das it.

I'm going to remove my triceps now. Ouch.

Cackerot69
10-06-2001, 11:17 AM
Belial = strong closet genius.

Alex.V
10-06-2001, 12:54 PM
heh.

Wait till leg day. THEN you'll be in for some......disappointment.

heathj
10-06-2001, 03:04 PM
Squat - 215 x 3 (!)

:p

DaChickenShowYo
10-06-2001, 03:14 PM
You incline bench more than you squat?

tuttut tuttut tuttut :D

Alex.V
10-06-2001, 04:13 PM
No.

Mystic Eric
10-07-2001, 02:35 AM
i would hope not...

Alex.V
10-07-2001, 11:12 AM
Legz.....

Great day. Lots of energy, still got the sniffles a little bit, but....

Back squats:

135 x 8, 245 x 5, 275 x 5, 300 x 6 (!)

Finally broke 300 with six good, solid, well-performed reps. Okay, so it's not that impressive. fine, it's not impressive at all. But for me, it's a milestone considering how pathetic my squat has always been (relatively speaking, at least)

Front squats:

230 x 6, 240 x 6 (!)

SLDLs:

205 x 6, 225 x 6 (!)

Bah. Again, not hard. I may start challenging myself on these. We'll see.

Overhead squats:

190 x 6 (!)

Sheeit. The Clean and Jerk SUCKED. UGLY! I know my grip is much wider than it should be for a C&J (because of the width necessary for front squats), but....

Once the weight was up there, I didn't have much trouble controlling it, and it's pretty cool to be holding roughly your bodyweight over your head...hehe I worked on the C&J motion a few times with 135; I think I improved it a little bit....

Anyway...

Sleep= 8 hours.

Diet= hahahahaha. Cheated like a mofo at dinner last night. 1 pound Fuddrucker's cheeseburger, and a big glass of mulled wine later in the evening. Other meals were on track, but....bwahahaha.

That's it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-07-2001, 12:12 PM
what does the (!) mean B?

heathj
10-07-2001, 01:40 PM
It means PR...job well done, he's excited he got it. Duh f00!

Alex.V
10-07-2001, 02:03 PM
Yeah, it's kinda gay looking. Has nothing to do with excitement. I think satisfaction is more the feeling I get.

Mebbe it should be like a ":cool: " after each one. I dunno.

heathj
10-07-2001, 02:29 PM
I think it's fine, f00!

We need a PR smilie. Maybe a guy flexing his muscle or something. Schweet.

Pup
10-08-2001, 09:23 AM
Looks like things are progressing nicely bro, you should definitely go up on the SLDL, strengthening your lower back may help your squats, they have helped mine out nicely.

Alex.V
10-08-2001, 12:43 PM
I'm thinking I just might start at 225, and maybe hit 245 or 250 for the second set. My lower back is feeling strong, but....better safe than sorry. I'll see how the conventional deads go this week.

Alex.V
10-09-2001, 10:59 AM
Went into the gym fired up for back day. Stayed that way.

Weighed myself downstairs... 195. Wow. That was unexpected. I didn't think I'd put on that much weight.... :D

Anyway:

Weighted pull-ups:

+70 x 7, +90 x 6, +100 x 3.5 (!)

Then I did hanging shrug-downs. Basically, keep the weight on, and contract the lats fully. Hurts like a bear, but I can feel the lats straining. Good exercise.

DB rows:

110 x 7, 110 x 7.

Yep yep. No more little (!)'s there, because that's as high as the DBs go in my gym.

Bent-over BB rows: (I'm working these in, because the DB's will start to feel easy)

165 x 7, 185 x 6 (!) Ha! Up ten pounds.

Hanging legs raises off the chin-up bar and DB curls completed my workout.

Diet: Perfect. Absolutely perfect. Go me. *pats self on back*

Sleep: 8 hours.

Very attractive girl with an amazing body smiling at me in the gym: yes.

:cool:

To avoid the day going downhill, I may just go to sleep now.

-out

Alex.V
10-11-2001, 10:57 AM
Shouldaz:

Warm up on seated DB press.... (75x2) x 8

Standing barbell military 135 x 7, 150 x 7 (!)

Okay. Still nothing impressive, but good for me. God damn, these make you feel sick. i gotta work on my breathing during them.

Deadlifts: 225 x 8, 325 x 8, 375 x 7 (!)

I owned those. I truly owned those. But my shins hurt.

heh.

Lateral raises and rotator work to complete the routine. Good day overall.

Diet- Pretty bad yesterday afternoon (during my 8 hour shift at the GNC), but i salvaged it when I got home. So, actually, pretty good.

Sleep- 7 hours.

Didn't weigh myself today. Next week.

thas' it.

Alex.V
10-12-2001, 05:48 PM
Trying to decide if I should go for 275 x 3, 235 x 7, and 125 on the weighted dips, or back off for a bit. Everything's feeling pretty good, but....

Alex.V
10-13-2001, 11:16 AM
Holy f*ck I almost got squished today.

Everything's going fine, I'm warming up on the flat bench

135 x 8, 235 x 6, 250 x 2,

ready to hit 275.

Go down for the first rep, power back up to near lockout. Plates start spinning. I come back down, the plates are still spinning, and the bar actually starts to torque my wrist. Wrist snaps back. Like somebody flicked a switch in my right arm, I lose all power for a split second. I right the wrist and recover, but by then the momentum was already going the wrong way. I halt it and smash the bar back into the safety pegs.

Spotter goes "Whoa, I saw that".

Thanks, yeah.

Anyway, I'm thinking I just screwed up, but that spinning was still a bit weird. I check out the bar. The sleeve was actually HALFWAY UNSCREWED from the bar itself. I stare at it for a few seconds, totally dumbstruck. This is the equipment I'm essentially trusting my life to.

Anyway, go down to the monitor, ask him for the special wrenches. he has no idea what I'm talking about, so I grab the bag of tools and go back to tighten the bar. Anyway, switch bars, and do 275 x 2.5 (!). That bad rep just took too much juice out of me. Shame, I probably could have done 3.5 +.

2 lessons:

1) Bad sh*t can happen on any rep, and

2) ALWAYS check your equipment, especially in a public gym.

After a rest, the remainder of the workout was great, if a little hesitant.

Incline: 225 x 8, 235 x 7 (!)

Weighted dips: 60 x 8, 100 x 6, 125 x 7 (!)

So yeah, feeling pretty good about it, but....damn. The gym's getting sent a letter. They claim they maintain their equipment, but bars should NOT be falling apart, especially on 275 pounds. It's not like I was tearing it up with 400+ (And even then. No, ESPECIALLY then, bars should not come to pieces)

So, that's that.

Diet= perfect.

Sleep= 5 + 2 hours (interrupted to drop my roommate off at the airport).

Anyway, what amazed me today is how easily I managed to halt the weight's descent today. When I've failed in the past, even when it's NOT sudden, there's no stopping the bar. This time, it was a bit different. I was holding more weight than ever before an inch above my chest for about 1.5 seconds while I corrected my wrist, and actually managed to power it UP far enough that I could rack it without help. Not too bad. Silver lining, I guess. Another reason why I feel I could have handled that weight for several reps.

And that's it.

Pup
10-14-2001, 08:12 AM
Damn, 235x7 on inclines, you prick, now i gotta catch bak up, 250x6 here i come :)

Alex.V
10-14-2001, 08:19 AM
Groar. And I'm NOT slowing down. lol. ;)

Competition, then?

Alex.V
10-14-2001, 08:20 AM
btw, nobody commented on the fact that I'm still alive. :D

vox
10-14-2001, 08:50 AM
Glad your still alive:D You had me griping the monitor hoping you made it out alive with your breath taking writing.

Alex.V
10-14-2001, 08:57 AM
Ah, shaddap.

:p

Pup
10-14-2001, 10:24 AM
we can compete if you want bro, tell me how you wanna set it up and i'll do it :)

Alex.V
10-14-2001, 11:06 AM
I dunno, man. i'll catch you on IM at some point.

Leg day:

Squats:

135 x 8, 235 x 6, 275 x 6, 305 x 6 (!)

Hell yeah. 300 pounds is owned.

Front squats:

225 x 6, 245 x 6 (!)

SLDL's

Stepped these up a notch:

225 x 7, 245 x 6 (!)
Ouch. Approaching my limit here. Good. From here on up, these are max strength lifts.

Overhead squats: 195 x 6. (!) My C&J sucks; I just lack the explosive strength and conditioning. I'm going to drop these for a while; I don't have room in my routine to work on them. I may do some power cleans instead at a steady weight, just to keep the feeling there, but at this point I'm at a heavy enough weight that I could end up hurting myself.

Other lifts the same.

Diet- excellent. perfect yesterday, even.

Sleep- 7.5 hours.

that's it.

-out

Mystic Eric
10-14-2001, 12:23 PM
btw, nobody commented on the fact that I'm still alive. :D

i'm glad that you're still alive! my life would not be the same without you :D

Alex.V
10-15-2001, 05:42 PM
Gee, wow. I feel special.

the doc
10-15-2001, 06:47 PM
b- i'm glad you survived. I've noticed a couple of the olympic bars have that problem. You definitely need to check each time :(

keep eating that beef and rice!

Alex.V
10-16-2001, 10:48 AM
Back day.

Pull-ups, well, I'm going to be stabilizing on the weight/reps. I'm currently eating like a horse (hah), and the rise in bodyweight will make it tough to progress in added weight. Still, I'm keeping the intensity up.

Anyway:

Weighted pull-ups:

+70 x 7, +90 x 6, +100 x 3.5

Hanging shrug downs again.

DB rows:

110 x 7, 110 x 7.

Bent-over BB rows:

165 x 7, 190 x 6 (!)

Used the 55's for my last set of curls. My arms were so pumped that I had trouble wiping my face with the towel afterwards.

Diet: Excellent again.

Finally saw somebody pushing more weight than me (who's a regular). Big black guy squatting 385 for his last set, good ROM too. His partner is a rather unathletic looking white guy who was doing 1/8 smith machine squats with 335 pounds, screaming and yelling, spine bent forward, and belt too loose. Oh well. I'm surprised the bigger guy wasn't giving pointers.

Thas' it.

Fart Barker
10-16-2001, 06:02 PM
what does this (!) mean?

Alex.V
10-16-2001, 07:10 PM
Personal best in a particular lift.

Alex.V
10-18-2001, 11:22 AM
Shoulders; same routine as last time.

Warm up on seated DB press, decided to up it a bit. (80x2) x 8 (!)

Nice.

Standing barbell military 140 x 7, 155 x 7 (!)

Not bad. Didn't feel that tough, actually.

Deadlifts: 225 x 8, 335 x 8, 380 x 7 (!)

Within an inch of the floor on every rep. Very nice.

Lateral raises and DB shrugs to finish up. Good day overall.

Diet = right on track

sleep= 7.5 hours.

Feeling great. Have two 8-hour shifts at the GNC coming up this weekend, and a midterm exam tomorrow, though. Can't wait until sunday. heh.

Alex.V
10-20-2001, 10:42 AM
Best chest day I've had yet.

Well, I progressed, but didn't almost die. How about that.

Flat BB:

135 x 8, 235 x 8, 250 x 3, 275 x 4 (!)

Ooh.

One set of flat DB:

(110x2) x 8 (!)

Incline BB:

225 x 7, 240 x 6 (!)

Weighted dips:

I figured "oh, what the hell". I was feeling good, and had planned to hit 130 this week. But 3 plates, (135) was so close!

+70 x 6, +110 x 6, +135 x 6 (!)

Almost didn't fit between my legs. (I usually have that problem anyway, though) Anyway, these were killer. It took me about five minutes to get up off the floor and hobble out of the gym.

Diet= perfect in the AM, sucked in the PM (at the GNC), but i salvaged it before I went to bed.

Sleep= 7 hours.

That's it.

vox
10-20-2001, 11:38 AM
You have got some good lifts, keep it up bro.

Pup
10-20-2001, 02:51 PM
Nice work brotha, now i got me some motivation to catch you :)

chris mason
10-20-2001, 05:46 PM
Good lifts Bel, keep it up. Looks like the routine is progressing nicely.

unev_en
10-20-2001, 09:44 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what is your diet like? Just curious. Thnx.

Alex.V
10-20-2001, 09:52 PM
Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback guys.

My diet's not the kind that I follow to the letter every day, but I generally am shooting for 3500-3600 calories, 30% protein, 25% fat, 45% carbs.

(~260 grams protein, ~100 grams fat, ~390 grams carbs)

I generally eat for what I'm about to do. Breakfast is a large bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter, and some egg whites and cottage cheese. Pre-workout is some whole wheat bread and a whey/glutamine shake. Post workout is a lean body shake with 2-3 scoops of nlarge (and maybe some added malto). Next two meals are fairly loose, usually whole wheat bread and tuna (or more cottage cheese, or turkey slices, whatever.) Dinner's usually large, a big portion of lean meat and parboiled rice. Pre-bed is lots of peanuts and flax seed oil. Very basic, low stress, but I don't ever really eat junk. It's worked well.

I find it's much easier to stick to when I'm not psychotic about eating exact foods, and since I'm bulking right now, I don't stress too much about portion sizes. If I've got room, I eat a bit more. ;)

Alex.V
10-20-2001, 09:53 PM
Oh, and again, be prepared to be underwhelmed by my leg day. lol.

Alex.V
10-21-2001, 11:02 AM
Well, maybe leg day wasn't that bad after all.

Squats:

135 x 8, 235 x 6, 280 x 6, 315 x 7 (!)

Yeah. i got impatient. 5 pounds away from 3 plates (per side). So yeah, took the first rep very slow (These crappy bars bounce way too much anyway; witness the one that's still bent after a guy deadlifted 495 with it), and cranked out 7 good, solid, slightly past parallel reps. :D Okay, not that impressive. but very good for me.

Front squats:

235 x 6, 250 x 6 (!)

SLDLs:

235 x 6, 265 x 6 (!)

ouch. These are hard. But I started using a better grip, and they feel more stable. Let me jump in weight a lot more; i realize just how much a shaky grip compromises the entire stability of the lift.

Other stuff the same. I'm trying a few other things to get my calves to grow; we'll see what happens. lol

diet= excellent, if somewhat high in bars. (Damn work. hehe)

Sleep= 7.5 hours.

That's it.

Fart Barker
10-21-2001, 11:08 AM
315 x 7 (!)

Nice work, you are an inspiration!

heathj
10-21-2001, 11:56 AM
Hey i was wondering on the db's...How do you get them to the starting point of the bench. Cause with my db's I sit down with them on my knees and then bring them back to my chest and I lay back. I think that'd be kinda hard with 100's or 110's...does someone put them on your chest?

Alex.V
10-21-2001, 12:59 PM
FB, hearing you say that is an inspiration. :)

Heath- I do it the same way. I hold them close to my chest as I sit back, and slide them out to the sides when I'm lying down. The trick is not to lie back too quickly, or you'll probably tire yourself before you get that first rep in. This is actually a reason I progressed slowly on these; it's too easy to lose control. I'd rather not be using a weight so heavy that I had to rely on somebody else to take them on and off my chest. (Even though the DBs in my gym don't get any heavier, so from now on it's a moot point).

Alex.V
10-23-2001, 11:30 AM
Back day. Stuck to the plan, didn't increase my pull-ups.

Weighted pull-ups:

+70 x 7, +90 x 6, +100 x 3.5, slow negative

Hanging shrug downs.

DB rows:

110 x 7, 110 x 7.
We need bigger dumbbells. This is starting to irritate me.

Bent-over BB rows:

165 x 7, 195 x 6 (!)

55 on the curls again. Had some extra energy, so I did some chins at the end, focusing on the biceps. Cranked out 20 at high speed, figured I'd had enough.

Diet: Excellent again.

Same duo at the gym. Big guy who does damn good squats, and his pudgy partner who pushes his hands on his knees for every rep on the leg press. Not that it's my business, but....

Weight up again.

Pup
10-23-2001, 12:23 PM
nice job belial, don't get too comfy though, cause i'm gunnin for ya :)

the doc
10-23-2001, 12:25 PM
b, you could exchange the order of bb and db rows doing bb first

was the dynamic duo a big huge black guy and a skinnier white guy with tatoos?

Alex.V
10-23-2001, 02:35 PM
Aiight pup. lol.

Doc, yeah, I was thinking about that exchange. The guys...I didn't notice many tattoos on the white guy; I didn't look very carefully. he's a bit shorter, has a bit of a bald spot.... blond hair, I think?

the doc
10-23-2001, 03:19 PM
yea i see 'em in their- maybe he didn't have tattooss
their funny
wonder how they hooked up?

Alex.V
10-25-2001, 12:45 PM
Shoulders:

Seated DB press the same (one warm up set with the 80's)

Standing barbell military 140 x 7, 160 x 7 (!)

Aiight, this is starting to get hard. :( heh.

Deadlifts: 225 x 8, 335 x 8, 385 x 7 (!)

Thas' good weight for me. My lower back was fried afterwards; it's getting better, though. that makes me sad.

Lateral raises and DB shrugs to finish up again.

Diet = perfect

sleep= 7 hours. Bleh. Need more!

Overall, feeling pretty good. The dynamic duo was in there again. So was the kid who insists on hitting the speed bag. I'm, tempted to tell him he should stay away from cardio until he's no longer a rail on toothpicks. But I'm not a dick, so I won't.

Marcel
10-25-2001, 04:11 PM
LOL at the little kid hitting the speed bag because I bet you he thinks he looks like a badazz doin that. You should tell him Belial just don't be mean about it ya know? Laterz.

Good job on this journal Belial. Dedicated cool mofo.:cool:

Alex.V
10-27-2001, 10:56 AM
Naw, I mean, the speed bag is there for people to use; it just pisses me off. Thanks for the props on the journal, though. This thing is much longer than I ever expected it would be. lol.

Chest day:

BB bench:

135 x 8, 235 x 8, 255 x 3, 280 x 3 (!)

I may have had the fourth rep in me. My weak wrists are starting to worry me, though. I'm experimenting with grips to see what angle I'm most stable at.

1 set of flat DB; same as last week (110s)

Incline BB:

230 x 7, 245 x 7 (!)

Wuhoo. I remember when I was barely flat benching that.

Weighted dips:

+75 x 8, +110 x 8, +140 x 7 (!)

Bwahahaha. The dip apparatus feels....rickety. That's 340 pounds of weight on it. I may need to start wearing a cup, though. The last rep was rough, so I swung up a tiny bit to get through the sticking point.....

I'm really tempted to put an ice pack between my legs right now. (Problem is, the cure sounds worse than the disease). Ouch.

Diet= perfect. I'm going to start loosening up a bit; I think I need more calories.

Sleep= 7.5 hours.

That's it.

Shower time.

Alex.V
10-28-2001, 11:18 AM
Bah. Didn't have the workout I was hoping for. Worked at the GNC yesterday (sh*t meals), went out drinking (dehydrated), woke up late (breakfast didn't have a chance to digest, but the gym gets too full later), so there were a bunch of factors that made me feel like i was running on half power.

back squats:

135 x 8, 235 x 6, 280 x 6, 320 x 6 (!)

I was hoping for seven, but on rep 5 I felt like I was going to fail. Dammit. Rep six was sheer willpower.

Front squats:

245 x 6, 255 x 6 (!)

Not bad. I need to work on keeping my knees from splaying on those, though.

SLDLs:

245 x 7, 275 x 7 (!)

Easy. I don't know what's up with these. Last week, 10 pounds less felt tough. This week, energy level was crap (squats didn't really improve much), but SLDLs owned up.

Go figure.

Rest of workout was decent.

Diet- haha. I guess it was okay. I'm going to make up for it today, though.

Sleep- 8.5 hours. This is good, I think I needed it.

weight: Dunno, I check tuesday.

That's it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-28-2001, 02:04 PM
Good session, but You should have given it another day B.
I wouldn;t even go to the gym if i had been drinking the previous night.

Alex.V
10-28-2001, 02:45 PM
Naw, it woulda screwed up my schedule. 'sides, the workout was decent enough; I didn't feel drained until I started doing my heavy set. Some say it might gave been better to pack it in and go home, but.... I still tore it up.

chris mason
10-28-2001, 04:53 PM
Do you use knee wraps during your squats?

As for your wrists, buy some wrist wraps like powerlifters use. It will do wonders for you. I know, I have a similar problem.

Alex.V
10-28-2001, 05:10 PM
No, I don't use knee wraps.

You really think it's a good idea to use the wrist wraps at such a light weight? I don't want to cripple my wrist development when I start getting up into large weights. I may pick up a pair anyway, though, and use them like I use my straps (For the heaviest set of deads). Sound like a good idea?

chris mason
10-28-2001, 05:27 PM
320 lbs for 6 in the squat is very good for someone who does not use wraps, so why do you act embarassed of your squat strength?

Yes, I do think it is a good idea to use the wraps, but only on the heavy set as you indicated. Heavy weight is a relative thing. Obviously, according to your post, the weight you are using now is heavy for your wrists.

Alex.V
10-28-2001, 06:04 PM
No, I guess it's not that bad, looking at it again. I guess it's still carryover from when it was 225 x 3 (the same as my bench) back in may. I still think of it as my weak lift.

And yeah, I think I may just pick up those wraps. Any tricks you can think of for stabilizing grip, though? How does the bar rest across your palms when you bench? Perfectly horizontally, or do you angle it a bit (i.e., when you're lying on your back, gripping the bar, your knuckles are actually pointing somewhat towards each other). I'm trying to figure out if there's a more stable grip.

Marcel
10-28-2001, 10:26 PM
Thaz cool. Hey B could you give us some stats? How old are you, how much you weigh, how tall and your bodyfat level if ya know? Anyways good job. Laterz

Alex.V
10-28-2001, 11:19 PM
21 years old, about 200 pounds (I'd guess; I weigh myself tuesday), 5'11", I'd guess I'm around 7% bf, but it's tough to tell since my diet's so loaded with sodium. heh. Seven-point calipers say 6.89, so I'm going to run with that.

btw, thanks. :D

Marcel
10-28-2001, 11:28 PM
Dang bro you pretty swoll! I'm 18 177 10% b.f. 6 ft. When I'm your age I'll be bigger then you but thaz ok you still cool. ;) Just playing I think I prolly want to get up to like 200 just enough to be on the cover of Men's Health :D

Would you mind telling us what your diet is like? Laterz bro.

Alex.V
10-30-2001, 02:26 PM
Aw yeah, I get to update.

Very similar back day to last week

Weighted pull-ups:

+70 x 7, +90 x 6, +100 x 3.5, slow negative

Hanging shrug downs.

Extra set

+50 x 6

DB rows:

110 x 7, 110 x 7.

Bleh, whatever.

Bent-over BB rows:

165 x 7, 200 x 6 (!)

Now THESE are frying my back. I'm loving them. Since I adopted a narrower grip I'm no longer failing quite so far from my chest.

Diet: *burp* Good.

Sleep: 6.5 hours Not so good.

Weight: Uhmmm....hehe. 93.15 kilos?

Alex.V
10-30-2001, 06:31 PM
Oh, in non-gay measurements, that's 205 lbs.

Fart Barker
10-30-2001, 06:33 PM
Oh, in non-gay measurements, that's 205 lbs.
:evillaugh

heathj
10-30-2001, 06:42 PM
6.5 hours not so good? I average between 4-6 on an average night....

Your weight is really getting up there. You must be hyuooooooooooooooooge :)

Alex.V
10-30-2001, 07:00 PM
ya mean fat. :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-31-2001, 03:33 AM
Belial, if you thought you were insulting brits you're wrong - we use Stones and pounds.

But Continental Europeans like Blackie and reinier could be a different story...

Wizard
10-31-2001, 04:07 AM
:swear: outnumber :shoot: :bash: :disagree: :mad:

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-31-2001, 04:20 AM
Not so ice cool now eh? :)

Wizard
10-31-2001, 04:24 AM
I don't think so
:cool:

Alex.V
10-31-2001, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Belial, if you thought you were insulting brits you're wrong -

I was insulting the metric system.

No need to insult you guys; that'd just be wrong. Kinda like boxing with your little sister, if you know what I mean.

Now take your arguing elsewhere.

hmph.

Alex.V
11-01-2001, 11:32 AM
Very good shoulders day.

Seated DB press the same again (one warm up set with the 80's)
I may up this next week; my rotators are much stronger these days, and I feel like I've got pretty good control of the things.

Standing barbell military 145 x 7, 165 x 7 (!)

Now THIS is tough. Keeping stable while lifting really takes a lot out of ya. I'm not quite sure which way I should go with these; keep doing them, or focus on the seated DB (since I feel I can progress with them again)

Deadlifts: 225 x 8, 335 x 7, 365 x 3, 390 x 7 (!)

eheheheheheh. It was a full minute before I could get up off the floor. I'm such a pansy. Oh, and the bar is slightly bent. Slightly.

Crap equipment, huh? No way a bar should bent under that. .......It made me feel strong. haha. Even if I'm really not.

Still, these are progressing well; I'm curious as to what my max single is, but I'm not that dumb. yet.

Lateral raises and shrugs finished off the day. Still have a stomach flu of some sort (prolly salmonella; since there's really no such thing as a stomach flu. I was opening a whole chicken bag and apparently it was overfilled with water. I got doused. I tried to clean up, but some got in my nose, my eyes, my mouth. Ugh. I don't recommend anybody do this.)

So that's it. I'mna gonna go lie down.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-01-2001, 01:51 PM
Excellent work B, keep it up. :thumbup:

Alex.V
11-01-2001, 02:00 PM
Thanks mods. :D

Joe Black
11-01-2001, 02:01 PM
Monstarr post sensibly in journals or not at all..

Thank you.

Good Day :)

MonStar1023
11-01-2001, 02:02 PM
*removes mothballs from Monstarr's ears and repeats..

Post sensibly or not at all..

IceRgrrl
11-01-2001, 02:10 PM
...someone feeling a little threatened, perhaps?...

Good work B!

Alex.V
11-01-2001, 02:19 PM
Aww yeah, finally lured iceR into my journal.

*evil laugh*

MonStar1023
11-01-2001, 02:21 PM
One more, and you won't post anywhere on this site.

Joe Black
11-01-2001, 02:27 PM
lol Damn Paul.. you too quick..

I was just gonna say the EXACT same

Freaky...

IceRgrrl
11-01-2001, 04:04 PM
Aww yeah, finally lured iceR into my journal.

*evil laugh*

Silly man...I've been here before :)

*looks around*

I like what you've done with the place....

Alex.V
11-01-2001, 04:11 PM
You have? Damn. I must have been drunk. That's a shame.

*sigh*

It's not clean because I wasn't expecting company, but thanks. :)

Pup
11-02-2001, 06:26 AM
You schmuck, didn't yo mamma ever tell you to keep the place clean for the ladies, now ice may go invade yates' journal, oh, the horror :cry:

Alex.V
11-03-2001, 10:04 AM
*cleans up journal*

Chest day.

Drank half a gallon of water this morning. That helped. I was dehydrated as hell when I woke up.

Flat BB Bench:

135 x 8, 230 x 8, 255 x 3, 285 x 3 (!)

I'm figuring out how to set my wrists properly. No instability this time. Good.

1 set flat DB press.

(110x2) x 8

2 sets incline BB:

235 x 7, 250 x 7 (!)

I officially have the biggest incline bench I've seen at my gym. Then again, I don't go during busy time, and I work out at a wussy gym. (You excluded, doc.)

Weighted dips:

+80 x 6, +100 x 6, +145 x 6, (!) and a long negative.

*retch*

So, good training day. I definitely need a shower. And new sweatpants. I didn't realize it, but the deadlifts on thursday completely shredded the bottom of them. Wow, I look ghetto.

Diet = Perfect.

Sleep = 7 hours.

That's it.

Chris Rodgers
11-03-2001, 10:30 AM
Great lifts B!!

Deadlifting in pants tuttut

I always wear shorts. Rip up them shins foo!!!

Pup
11-03-2001, 11:28 AM
Nice incline bro, guess i'm gonna have to step it up again.

Alex.V
11-04-2001, 11:06 AM
Leg day. Decided to go without belt on all the lifts.

Dehydrated again this morning, dammit. Oh well. hehe.

Squats:

135 x 8, 245 x 6, 280 x 6, 325 x 6 (!)

That last rep was tough. Usually I use the belt for the heaviest weight, and I notice now that it definitely helps stabilize the center. Rather than passively pushing out against the belt and using the pressure to help hold you upright, the entire action of holding the "wall" steady has to be active, and it takes a lot more effort. First 4 reps were fine, but rep five was pain, and rep six was ugly as hell. Most people obviously know this about belts, but I haven't compared for myself in a long time, so it was a real refresher in how much work it does for you.

Screw the belt, I say.

Front squats:

245 x 6, 260 x 6 (!)

It's all about bar placement on these. Nice and snug against the neck.

SLDLs:

265 x 7, 285 x 8 (!)

Err.... I don't know what's up with these. 295 next week?

Other lifts the same. Upped my calf volume a bit; see if that'll help things....

Sleep = 7 hours

Diet= One pound cheeseburger for meal 5 yesterday. hehe. Hey, whatever works. Everything else good, except for a few beers late at night. And a few too many cigarettes. *cough* *choke* bleh.

That's it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-04-2001, 11:11 AM
how deep do you go when squatting? and out of all your sets, which do you consider your 'working sets'?

Alex.V
11-04-2001, 11:17 AM
I go just below parallel. With my stance and hip structure, I really can't go much lower. And generally, I have a light warm up set in my first lift of the day (Today it was the 135 x 8 for squats, yesterday it was the same for flat BB bench), then a second set at a weight that's still relatively easy. I do that weight with a slow tempo, to stretch and warm up. Everything else, from then on, is a working set.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-04-2001, 11:22 AM
do you warm up on a stationary or tready before hand?

Alex.V
11-04-2001, 11:25 AM
Naw. Usually jogging from the car is enough; I usually end up parking 1/2- 3/4 mile away. Too much warm up really drains me. Do you?

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-04-2001, 11:30 AM
yeah 5 minute cycle. Get's the blood flowing and 'oils' the joints and tendons up y'know. Prolly psychological but i feel better for it.

Reinier
11-05-2001, 08:04 AM
do all of you actually decide to increase to the weight?
like consider it?
currently i figure theres something wrong if an exercise isn`t increasing every single time...

Alex.V
11-06-2001, 11:17 AM
Okay, for those of you that don't know, I was sick all last week. I originally thought it was salmonella. Turns out it was e. coli. The effects of the infection are not conductive to good workouts: Difficulty absorbing nutrients, severe dehydration, and significant internal bleeding. My immune system being what it is, though, I think I fought the thing off pretty damn well. I haven't gained any weight since last week; I'm fairly sure it's obvious why, and combining this whole situation with the fact that I've gone out for a few drinks 3 of the last 4 nights, and we have a crappy outcome overall.

Anyway, I'm back, though. Tight diet, less drinking, and from now on all ground beef will be cooked well done. Thank you.

Back day:

Pull-ups:

+70 x 6, +90 x 6, +100 x 4

Decent. heavy shrug-downs, too.

DB row:

two sets: (110x2) x 7

Bent-over BB row:

165 x 7, 200 x 7 (!)

Not bad. Last rep took a while, though.

Finished up with a bunch of curls, and decided to crank out 20 high speed chins before I left. Felt good. 'course, my arms were so pumped afterwards that the drive home sucked. heh.

Diet- except for two pints last night, pretty damn good.

Sleep- 7 hours

that's it. Here's to a week of better workouts.

Alex.V
11-06-2001, 08:48 PM
I want 3000 views.

Pup
11-07-2001, 06:14 AM
You, my friend, are like a nympho in a whore house :)

Alex.V
11-08-2001, 10:46 AM
lol pup.

I got my 3000 views. :)

I also had an excellent workout today.

I didn't go up in the DB press, (Still using 80's), but standing BB military was:

155 x 6, 170 x 6 (!)

Deadlifts:

235 x 8 (warmup), 335 x 6, 370 x 6, 400 x 7 (!)

That's it. Hit another major goal. Actually, next week when i get to put another big plate on each side is where I really get excited, but that was still nice.

Other lifts the same.

Diet = excellent. Cut down on the peanuts a bit; half a pound a day was upsetting my stomach. lol. That's a lot of fat and fiber.

Sleep = 7.5 hours.

That's it. Didn't weigh myself. Next tuesday, or maybe this weekend.

YatesNightBlade
11-09-2001, 02:11 AM
Sweet deadlifting there junior ;)

Alex.V
11-09-2001, 07:51 AM
Tanks mang! :)

Alex.V
11-10-2001, 11:11 AM
Chest. I kicked my ass today, it felt good.

Had a lot of energy this morning, finally caught up on some sleep, and was in a good mood when I left to go to the gym. :)

Flat BB bench:

135 x 8, 235 x 6, 265 x 3, 290 x 3 (!)

When I'm unracking now, I'm holding it up top for a few seconds to stabilize the load. This is tiring me a little bit, but I'm feeling a lot more secure about the lift.

Flat DB the same (110's, 8 reps)

Incline BB:

235 x 6, 255 x 6 (!)

Not bad. Anybody else hate it when the bench is crooked, though, and doesn't line up with the ceiling tiles? Very disconcerting.... Still, fun lift. I remember when i was struggling to do that for a triple on flat.....

Weighted dips:

Reducing the volume on these, I think.

+55 x 6, +100 x 6, +150 x 6 (!) and a long negative.

Two problems with these:

-The belt isn't big enough for that many plates, it's extremely uncomfortable and I seriously almost crushed a very sensitive part today when I stood up.

-The dip station does NOT feel stable any more. The combined weight of me, the belt, the plates, and my clothes is probably around 360 pounds, and the first few reps are relatively fast. Not sure what to do here... Any suggestions?

Anyway,

diet= perfect

sleep= 8 hours.

Weight= find out tuesday.