PDA

View Full Version : Help for a REAL newbie.. mom trying to get in shape!

tonnia
08-20-2002, 05:37 PM
Hello all!
I have been lurking here for a while and I have really enjoyed the information.. I want some advice.
Now, I am no where near a bodybuilder.. I have two kids and have gotten badly out of shape.

I started body For Life 4 weeks and 3 days ago, so far my loss is 15 pounds.

I do cardio every other day for 20 minutes and I lift every other day and have one free day a week as perscribed in the book.

I am not sure if I do enough lifting or not.. I do the sets like he says in the book 12,10,8,6,12,12 with as much weight as I can do.

I usually do 3 or 4 things on my arms and 2-3 on my legs (different excercises shown in the book)

I have seen some tightening overall.

My calorie intake (average)

Total: 1420
Fat: 29 g
Sat: 11 g
Poly: 2 g
Mono: 8 g
Carbs: 177 g
Fiber: 14 g
Protein: 125 g
Alcohol: 0 (ALL IN GRAMS)

That is 6 days a week, not counting the free day.

I use a lot of cottage cheese and egg whites and Myoplex (shakes and bars)

Now my questions:

Does this seem "on track"?

Is reduced fat peanut butter OK? (no more than 2 tbs a day)

How long do you think it would take to loose 50# this way?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Wizard
08-20-2002, 05:52 PM
Hi,first tell us what is your current bodyweight.

Then,to proceed to your questions,reduced peanut butter is not so good. Natural peanut butter (just roasted peanuts and salt) is by far a better choice. It may contain more calories but it consists of higher quality ingredients. You just have to reduce the consumption down to 1 tbs a day.

I am not certain if the situation you described above means that now you are on track but it is certainly better than before.I believe that time after time you will learn more things about proper training and nutrition. Losing 50 pounds is not going to take 1-2 months but close to 5-6 if you want to do it the right way and keep it off.

Watch out for the extra salt that the cottage cheese may contain. Buy low sodium/low fat cottage cheese.

By the way, where are you from??

tonnia
08-20-2002, 06:04 PM
HI Wizard,
Thanks for your answer about the PB. I did buy reduced fat based on the fact that is had less fat/calories than the Smuckers natural. Now that I know, I will get the right kind.

Right on track to me means eating a good ratio to carbs/protien/
and doing enough excercise.

My current weight which is not my highest is 245.
I am 5'10" and in my early thirties. I did a wrist measurment thing the other day and i have a very large frame.. no way I will ever weigh 125 or anything like that.
I'd like to see 160 someday.
I am ashamed I let myself go, but there is nothing to do but start from here and do better.

I never counted calories before but I know they were probably at leat double what I take in now. I also only drink water. Nothing else (besides the myoplex shakes)

Wizard
08-20-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by tonnia

there is nothing to do but start from here and do better.

That's it.

Wizard
08-20-2002, 06:12 PM
By the way,just a tbs of flax seed oil. Eventually your caloric intake will be higher by almost 140 calories but you must do it. You need some more calories. You cannot go from 3000calories/day to 1400calories/day. Your metabolism is gonna be sluggish.Get in the very least occasion no less than 1600-1700 calories.

tonnia
08-20-2002, 06:18 PM
Ok.. Flax seed oil.. I think I read about it somewhere here.. nasty tasting stuff I think they said. I can do it..
How does it help?

Does the "free" day one a week suffice for the increased caloric intake? We sometimes go out to eat, but I am probably getting 2500 or a little more those days.

Frozenmoses
08-20-2002, 06:27 PM
If you're lifting and doing cardio, then I can't see how a free day would hurt. You should be burning more than 2500 calories daily anyway if you're lifting with your max weights.

Wizard
08-20-2002, 06:29 PM
It s better to have a free meal than an entire free day but if you feel too stressed because of the dieting thing, just eat whatever you want, but remember to get back on track the next day.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Flax seed oil? I had posted about its benefits some months ago but to let you know:

It helps to prevent atherosclerosis.
It lowers elevated blood pressure.
It improves the function of the liver.
It is useful in the treatment of some cases of edema.
It can improve the condition of dull hair.
It is helpful in the treatment of dandruff.
It promotes a healthy immune system.
It lowers total serum cholesterol levels
It lowers LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol).
It improves stamina.
It promotes a faster recovery.
It may treat some cases of depression.
It increases the strength of the nails and strengthens nails that break easily.
It alleviates most cases of dry skin.

Tryska
08-21-2002, 04:39 AM
i actually disagree on cal intake wizard...she should be eating no less then 2500 right now at 245 lbs.

BFL is a good program if you are a beginner which you are, but eventually you may want to slow down a bit and change your split up as well as lower the reps and increase the weight.

also, make sure to eat every 3 hours or so.

and congratulations on that first 15 lbs.

Wizard
08-21-2002, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
i actually disagree on cal intake wizard...she should be eating no less then 2500 right now at 245 lbs.

I actually agree with you :D

She should.. But: notice that since the last month (or,for something more than 4 weeks) her caloric intake is set at 1420 calories/day.
She has to gradually increase her caloric intake and that's why I suggested her to up her calories to at least 1600-1700 so that she can gradually (300calories per week or 10 days) increase the amount to up to 2400-2500.
Then,based on the progress, she will be decreasing her c.intake by 300 calories until she reach the point where she will be losing up to 1.5-2 lbs per week.

tonnia
08-21-2002, 05:58 AM
So I am wrong to be eating 6 meals a day that total around 1400-1500 calories?

I thought that by eating less, more frequently and healthier and by adding the cardio and lifting that that was the right way.

You mentioned my metabolism getting sluggish, but wouldn't I be exhausted all the time?

I feel fine and better than I have in a while. More energy.
I was very sleepy and tired the first week, but I adjusted and I also had the free day that week as well.

I guess I just don't understand why I would need to up the calories so much?

Thanks to all of you for being so helpful!

Tryska
08-21-2002, 07:02 AM
because at your weight, your basal metabolism is going to be rather high.

your basal metabolism is how many calories your body to maintain basic function while you are in a coma.

a good rule of thumb to figure out basal metabolism is 10kcal/lb.

in your case that is roughly 2450 or 2500 for a nice round figure. if you want your weightloss to be nice a smooth, and without too many plateaus, i suggest you support your metabolism. otherwise if you don't put enough cals in to fuel weight-loss your body will think it's starving, down-regulate your metabolism, and stop fat-loss, because it thinks it will need to hold that fat, because apparently there is a famine going on.

this is what causes the dreaded fat loss plateau.

Wizard
08-21-2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
because at your weight, your basal metabolism is going to be rather high.

Not exactly. Fat tissue doesn't accelerate the metabolism. Right?

Tryska
08-21-2002, 07:14 AM
no but remember, if she's been at this weight for any period of time, her LBM is going to be rather high as well.

Tryska
08-21-2002, 07:16 AM
even if you were to figure caloric need at 14kcal/per lb lbm, it would come out to around the same figure as 10k per lb bw.

you know what i mean?

Wizard
08-21-2002, 07:17 AM
Correct :nod:

tonnia
08-21-2002, 07:19 AM
I have been at this weight (actually a little more like 260) since my last child was born about 4 years ago.

I used fit day and by putting in my weight it said my basal was 1903.. so I do see the wisdom in adding another meal or two to my schedule.

Is that a good thing to add a couple more meals with basically the same setup (protein and carb) or a couple of snacks?

What are some good alternatives to adding to my meals.. I am already doing lean meats, eggs and bars and shakes.. will the flax seed be enough and are gel-caps OK?

Tryska
08-21-2002, 07:27 AM
if you are eating every 3 hours or so, just adjust up the calories for each meal. I've always added fat to get my calories up in the form of flax or nuts or olive oil usually, but i lose fat best on a low-carb diet, so it may be different for you.

so with fit-days calculation of your basal at 1903, add 300 cals for basic activity, (like getting out of bed, walkign to your car whatever), another 250 for whatever working out you do, and your still back around 2450-sh for minimum cals.

Wizard
08-21-2002, 07:30 AM
Gel-caps are not a good source of flax seed oil. They contain no more than 1-2grams of f.s oil.

You can add an egg too and a serving of oatmeal in the morning.
(don't completely avoid adding carbs to up your caloric intake)