PDA

View Full Version : Kaizen

Jane
08-22-2002, 10:35 PM
Kaizen is a Japanese word meaning gradual, orderly, continuous improvement. Kaizen is applicable to personal life, home life, social life, working life, etc.

Kaizen is a culture of sustained continuous progress, focusing on eliminating waste, increasing organization, and streamlining the path to a goal.

There are two elements that construct Kaizen:
1. improvement/change for the better
2. ongoing/continuity

Lacking one of those elements would not be considered Kaizen. For instance, the expression of "business as usual" contains the element of continuity without improvement. On the other hand, the expression of "breakthrough" contains the element of change or improvement without continuity. Kaizen should contain both elements.

There are 25 weeks left until my 18th birthday on February 15, 2003. This journal will record the progress I make as I approach the entrance to new responsibilities, challenges, and opportunities.

175 Days of Kaizen.

Let the journey begin...

Franjipani
08-22-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Jane
Kaizen is a culture of sustained continuous progress, focusing on eliminating waste, increasing organization, and streamlining the path to a goal.

Great Intro Jane, really looking forward to reading your progress:D .

Cheers,

Francesca

kimpy225
08-23-2002, 09:34 AM
hey JANE!
:strong:

galileo
08-23-2002, 09:54 AM
Love the intro! Very dramatic ;)

EdgarMex
08-23-2002, 10:37 AM
I loved the intro, Jane, I look forward to follow you progress :thumbup: :cool:

PowerManDL
08-23-2002, 05:41 PM
This ain't culture 101! Put up some weights!

08-23-2002, 06:34 PM
lol or you could have picked a term we understood like "continual improvement". But I guess foreign titles sound cooler. And your intro almost brought tears to my eyes. :redface:

Jane
08-23-2002, 10:37 PM
Day 1 of 175

Nutrition
B: Kashi cereal and skim milk
L: 3 meat-filled crepes
D: salad with grilled chicken and light italian dressing

Total: 1405
Fat: 55g---36%
Carbs: 132g---32%
Fiber: 23g
Protein: 108g---32%

Exercise
None today.

Comments
Nutrition: I would prefer to have the majority of my calories come from protein, and will increase the precentage tommorow.

Exercise: I'm going to continue with my three day split for lifting. I will also reintroduce a little regular cardio.

Life: No time for sarcastic commentary today. Sorry, cack.

On Life's Challenges:
In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

PowerManDL
08-23-2002, 10:47 PM
You should have used Tao. Much more appropriate.

Jane
08-23-2002, 10:53 PM
I disagree, Dl. If Tao=Taoism, and Christ=Christian, would it have been appropriate for me to name my journal Christ? Or Buddha? Or anything else that is connected to something ultimately greater than ourselves?

PowerManDL
08-23-2002, 10:55 PM
The analogy's not the same. The Tao can't be compared to a deity, an avatar, or any similar concept.

Tao is more a state of mind and force of change as it is anything else.

Jane
08-23-2002, 11:08 PM
It's not a deity, no. But I still wouldn't be comfortable adopting part of the name of a religion for a journal title.

Alex.V
08-24-2002, 11:03 PM
I agree with Belial.

Speaking of which, I think it's time to see a workout in here.

Right Jane? Right? :)

PowerManDL
08-25-2002, 09:46 AM
I don't think Jane even lifts any more. She just wanted to start a philosophical debate.

Blood&Iron
08-25-2002, 11:48 AM
[
On Life's Challenges:
In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
I've seen this before. Don't remember where. Maybe on the side of a cereal box. Actually, this has the distinct ring of fascism to it. Sounds like something Hitler or Mussolini might have said.

Anyways, whoever said this was obviously not well acquainted with Switzerland. Brotherly love? The German Swiss hate the French Swiss, the French Swiss hate the Italian Swiss, and on and on. They just hate the Germans more.

Oh, and they have mines planted on every one of their bridges in case of invasion, and they've hollowed out the Alps and built mini-cities in case of nuclear armageddon. Weird people.

Jane
08-26-2002, 09:03 PM
Day 4 of 175

Back/Biceps
***Note: This is only my 2nd back workout after returning from the 5 week Governor's School experience. I'm still getting back to my old weights.

Assisted Pullup: 1x9@85, 1x5.5@95, 1x4.5@95, 1x6.5@85
Up five pounds on each set, plus an extra set. I think I should be resting longer, however.

Bent-over Row: 2x6@30
Still working back up to what I had...

Lat Pulldown 1x4.5@70, 1x6@60
REALLY should have rested longer before doing these. I was pretty drained.

Seated Row: 1x12@50, 1x10@50
Ah-HA! I took a couple walking laps to rest, and shattered last week's seated row reps. Never touching 50 again.

Weighted Back Extension: 1x8@35, 1x8@45, 1x6@45
As much as I hate back extensions, it feels pretty nice to heave that 45 pound plate up there and press it to my chest for reps.

Bicep Curl: As many reps as I could squeeze out.

***Note: I got a new training journal. It's just the right size. Green and black, with a really nifty texture and a super cool clasp. I feel like a million bucks. :D

Shut up.

All in all, an ok workout. I was expecting to shatter all my numbers though. And the DB rows stagnated instead. Pfft.

Nutrition
Now that school is starting, how does this look as a daily meal plan?

M1: 1.5 cup Basic 4 cereal, 1.5 cup skim milk (405 calories, 5g fat, 76g carbs, 19g protein)

M2: .5 cup eggbeaters, 1 extra large egg, .33 cup fatfree cheese, .5tsp olive oil (155 calories, 6g fat, 3g carbs, 21g protein)

M3: 6oz chicken breast, mixed greens, 2 tbsp ketchup (350 calories, 12g fat, 8g carbs, 49g protein)

M4: 4 cups greens, 1 medium tomato, 10 slices cucumber, 4tsbp light dressing, 5oz tuna (325 calories, 12g fat, 12g carbs, 39g protein)

Total: 1325
Fat: 37g--26%
Sat: 8g--5%
Poly: 6g--4%
Mono: 10g-- 7%
Carbs: 113g--31%
Fiber: 13g
Protein: 138g--43%

I've had good results with keeping my fat intake medium-high, because it supresses hunger during long days. For this reason I am looking into lowering carbs on non-lifting days.

Comments
Went to Six Flags with Kimpy yesterday. People watched, walked excessive amounts, and perfected about 5 different styles of screaming. Very fun. :D

Tommorow, I wake up early to help the community. I hope the community benefits greatly from my girlfriends' card games.

Now my mother is standing over my shoulder insisting on a college scholarship search. Never mind that most of the results require me to be born in Alaska between the years of 1977 and 1979, have the last name of Peabottom, and major in agricultural sciences at an accredited US college or university.

Goal For Tommorow
Treat my sister like a human being, and ignore the fact that she is an anxiety-ridden worrywart with a mouth the size of a genetically engineered watermelon.

PowerManDL
08-26-2002, 09:10 PM
Treat my sister like a human being, and ignore the fact that she is an anxiety-ridden worrywart with a mouth the size of a genetically engineered watermelon.

They make watermelons with mouths now?

Blood&Iron
08-26-2002, 09:14 PM
[B***Note: I got a new training journal. It's just the right size. Green and black, with a really nifty texture and a super cool clasp. I feel like a million bucks. :D
[/B]
Mine's a ratty, sweat-soaked notebook, with half the pages falling out, no back cover, and in which I've used the front of every page, and am now working my way back to the front from the back using the backs of the pages.

Marcel
08-27-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Mine's a ratty, sweat-soaked notebook, with half the pages falling out, no back cover, and in which I've used the front of every page, and am now working my way back to the front from the back using the backs of the pages.

Add some blood and you've got my notebook(just noticed it the other day I was like wtf?). I'm working on the back of the pages now too. lmao.

Dang, why so many carbs in the morning?

the doc
08-27-2002, 03:22 PM
actually the morning and post workout are the most ideal times for carb consumption

Just some girl
08-27-2002, 05:36 PM
I love your intro here, Jane. Beautifully written. :)

Good luck with this new journal and diet!

Accipiter
08-27-2002, 08:47 PM
beautiful mind you've got jane...hope no one ever exploits it

rookiebldr
08-27-2002, 09:22 PM
Comments
... People watched...

Not much exercise in that, but a great activity anyway. BTW, nice journal.

Jane
08-27-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Respect! *hits chest*

Jane
08-27-2002, 10:27 PM
Accipiter, JSG, rookiebldr: Thanks so much! You have no idea how underestimated the effects of your positive comments are. :) I really appreciate it.

doc: well, what can I say? What's up? I say we gang up on B if he acts up in my journal. ;)

Marcel: Hey man, the carb thing I am trying to figure out. Give me a couple of days to post something final and then hopefully you can critique it for me.

B&I, Matt: Good to see you here. Both your constructive criticism and witticism is welcome. :nod:

Franjipani, Kimpy, Avatar, galileo, EdgarMex: I hope you won't hesistate to offer your opinions, because I am very interested in anything you might ever have to say.

Jane
08-27-2002, 10:28 PM
Day 5 of 175

Chest/Triceps
DB Press: 1x9@60, 1x7@60, 1x4@70, 1x2@70
People were waiting for benches, so I had to hurry this along. Probably not touching 30s again.

Incline DB Press: 2x8@50
Probably not touching 25's for these again.

DB Fly: 1x9@40
I've got db fly issues. Lol. Will deal with later.

Assisted Dip: 1x7@105, 1x4@105, 1x6@95
Worked in with a guy for these and didn't take as much rest as I wanted. Ah well. Still love them dearly, though. They are quite possibly my favorite exercise.

Tricep Pushdown: Squeezed out a couple reps till failure.

All in all, a good workout.

Nutrition
Still working on finalizing something. I think lifting days will have more carbs than non-lifting days. Will have a draft up for review soon, and I hope to get feedback. :)

Comments
So, this whole...community service thing? It's not working out. After emptying endless boxes of library books, I was inexplicably found lying UNDER the empty boxes, in a fetal position with my eyes glazed over.

I'm serious. Ask Kimpy.

Goal for Tommorow
Reinvigorate some of that competitive nature and work extra hard on my college application/scholarship stuff. If imagining pummeling my opponents and leaving them lying grimly in the dust is what gets me to be productive, so be it. :bash:

Right now, the only thing the producers have to worry about is how to differentiate XXX2 from the upcoming X2 (X-Men sequel). You know, at the rate we're going, how long before a film comes out with a title that is nothing more than a grunt?
~Lore Sjberg

ectx
08-28-2002, 12:22 AM
Jane, I'm loving the journal. The intro was mucho cool. I visited Japan 2 years ago and learned a little bit about Kaizen from visiting some budhist temples. Cool stuff. Anyhow, the journal looks great. Love the visualization. LOL, yep, pummeling will work. Me, I like to think of myself as a shark swimming in the ocean. Nothing can stop me! ;) Best of luck achieving this balance and continuous improvement. It looks to me like you're well on your way. Also, IMHO I think extra carbs post workout and first thing in the morning are a good idea. I'm no expert, but I think those would be the best times to eat them (depleted sugar stores and all). One more thing, pummel those college apps. into the ground. ;) Cheers.

Jane
08-28-2002, 07:38 AM
Thanks so much ectx! I am definitely planning on visiting Japan sometime in my lifetime. Just this summer I got to meet some Japanese teenagers and they were very interesting. Their technology is amazing! One girl had this camera that was literally the size and width of an index card. They must have laughed at all the Americans oohing and aahing over their shiny electronic things.

As for carbs, I think I do want them mornings and postworkout, but simeltaneously I am trying to get my protein percentage up. I read a study abstract that showed how high-protein is better at moderate-protein at preserving LBM, which, of course, is very improtant to me.

Thanks for your support! :)

galileo
08-28-2002, 07:47 AM
Good job Jane :)

I like the "Goal for Tomorrow." Warning: It may be stolen.

I've thought a lot about the Kaizen philosophy and I've been trying to do something to improve myself every single day. Aside from the 23 shots of liquor this weekend (1 step forward, 3 steps back), I've been doing quite well in all aspects of my life. Thanks for implanting the thought!

Pup
08-28-2002, 07:49 AM
Jane...you might want to consider trying robboe's tweaked version of NHE...just a thought :)

Jane
08-28-2002, 08:02 AM
Galileo: No problem, man. :) I hope everything goes well for you.

Pup: I'll talk to Robboe. ;)

Reinier
08-28-2002, 08:31 AM
lmao. Accipiter sounds like he comes straight out of a teen comedy alright

iLUDEd
08-28-2002, 04:30 PM
Kaizen is a Japanese word meaning gradual, orderly, continuous improvement. Kaizen is applicable to personal life, home life, social life, working life, etc.

There are two elements that construct Kaizen:
1. improvement/change for the better
2. ongoing/continuity

Lacking one of those elements would not be considered Kaizen. For instance, the expression of "business as usual" contains the element of continuity without improvement. On the other hand, the expression of "breakthrough" contains the element of change or improvement without continuity. Kaizen should contain both elements.

There are 25 weeks left until my 18th birthday on February 15, 2003. This journal will record the progress I make as I approach the entrance to new responsibilities, challenges, and opportunities.

175 Days of Kaizen.

Let the journey begin...

if this ever comes out as a movie, will u get the rights to it, then get everybody from WBB to visit all the 14 year old net geeks who flame your movie on random movie buff websites and belt them sensless...

ps. for my post to have made sence, you have to have seen the movie Jay and silent Bob strike back

kimpy225
08-29-2002, 11:03 AM

Comments
Went to Six Flags with Kimpy yesterday. People watched, walked excessive amounts, and perfected about 5 different styles of screaming. Very fun. :D

Tommorow, I wake up early to help the community. I hope the community benefits greatly from my girlfriends' card games.

*in a manly voice* WOOOOOOOO
lol
Topic: fruit... aaaaaaahahahahaha
lets practice some more jane.. i know we will be having that BIG day where we NEED to perform that lol :)
;)
wanna try to play any more aces there jane? lol

Comments
So, this whole...community service thing? It's not working out. After emptying endless boxes of library books, I was inexplicably found lying UNDER the empty boxes, in a fetal position with my eyes glazed over.

I'm serious. Ask Kimpy.

lol
is that why you went back today? :)
too bad i cant cover you up in those boxes again
that was the hilight of my day.. besides the cards and pizza and fruit...
AND you and clo insulting me.. lol
i still cant believe you let those books fall on me!
after all that trouble i spent moving all of those boxes over for you.. trying to pick out the ones where you could sit on one and shelf on the bottom!!

anyways
keep up the good lifting work!
why are you almost 18? its not fair.. ya freak!

Jane
08-29-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by SS-GOHAN
if this ever comes out as a movie, will u get the rights to it, then get everybody from WBB to visit all the 14 year old net geeks who flame your movie on random movie buff websites and belt them sensless...

ps. for my post to have made sence, you have to have seen the movie Jay and silent Bob strike back
Well crap. I haven't seen it, so I have no idea what you're talking about. :D

But I'll keep it in mind. And, eventually, when I see the movie, I will finally understand. I'm usually slow on the uptake anyway. ;)

Jane
08-29-2002, 09:18 PM
LOL@Kimpy.
Last car is always the best. :nod:

Oh, my turn? 15 Aces. Next?

Thanks for that box arranging man. I was in no position to be in control of heavy blunt objects.

And I didn't let the books fall, per se....It was a gravity experiment. :nod:

Budiak
08-30-2002, 05:15 AM
WHAT IN THE **** IS GOING ON HERE??

You thought you could sneak a new journal thread past me, Jane?? A POX ON THEE! I've been looking for an update in "Jane's Journal" for weeks! I thought you were dead or something! This Japanese ****, whats with people and Japan? WTF? Japan? HA! HAHAH! HA! Ha.

Ummm...Good battle plan there, Jane. And I'm glad to see you've completely stopped posting in my journal. I thought we was homies, shorty. HOMIES! I guess I bore you too severely to warrant a post. Well I tell ya, if Budiak's flames have died out and the honeymoon is over, then to hell with you! I never loved you anyways! It was a figure of speech!

Hey, If you love Japanese so much, I got a hot, steaming pile of japanese right here for ya.

http://sacland.submatrix.org/crap/Budiak/Creamyball.bmp

Mystic Eric
08-30-2002, 11:15 AM
Lmao @ budiak!

kimpy225
08-30-2002, 05:34 PM
LOL@Kimpy. Last car is always the best. :nod: Oh, my turn? 15 Aces. Next? Thanks for that box arranging man. I was in no position to be in control of heavy blunt objects And I didn't let the books fall, per se....It was a gravity experiment. :nod:

BULL!
i have all 27 aces!
lets listen to the radio
*crank crank crank*
jane.. i hate you but i love your eyes! ;)

the doc
08-30-2002, 05:52 PM
LMMFAO @ budiak...

Jane just focus on one thing -----> :strong:

kimpy225
09-02-2002, 11:37 AM
*hugs janes head*
it will all be ok :)

the doc
09-08-2002, 08:53 AM
jenia, i hope you haven't stopped lifting

Budiak
09-09-2002, 01:33 AM
I think I've destroyed her concentration with my delicious milky ball.

Jane, if teh Budiak can find time and reason to work out, so can you, dammit. Get off yer ass and at least post some fake stats or something.

Budiak
09-15-2002, 12:41 AM
WBHAT TIN STHE ****!

Girl you got to start posting more pics, you sweet tang you. DAMN girl. And you gotta keep workin out and **** cuz you'
v done so far now it do dbe good, dig?

Word.

PowerManDL
09-15-2002, 10:16 AM
Jane is teh suck

Mystic Eric
09-23-2002, 07:52 PM
BUMP!

Just wanted to say that Jane's the hottest girl in the world and I want to marry her! :D

Jane
09-23-2002, 09:16 PM
As charming as you guys are, this journal is dead. Let it rest in peace, eh? :)

I do work out, but I've lost a lot of what I once had. My motivation is low, my self esteem has plummeted, my diet is shoddy, and I basically feel like ****. Rather than complain about it every day in this journal, I let it die. Pathetic? Yeah. But I don't really care.

Whether you want to call it depression, a rut, or baby-like weakness, I don't care. That's the deal with this whole thing: you're not the person you used to be. I just don't care.

It's temporary though, so look for a resurgence sometime. Soon, I hope. I know moving out in November will definitely be a great thing for me and my life. Thank you and good night.

Byebye thread.

Alex.V
09-23-2002, 09:17 PM
:(

Mystic Eric
09-23-2002, 09:30 PM
If only I was over there to at least try to help her get through this :(

Jane
09-23-2002, 09:37 PM
Ssssh. No pity party, eh kids?

I'm blessed with all I have, and that thought alone makes me smile.

the doc
09-24-2002, 05:18 AM
:(

Pup
09-24-2002, 07:43 AM
:cry:

Paul Stagg
09-24-2002, 10:00 AM
Jane -

As always, there are lots of folks around if you need to bend an ear.

Keep at it.