PDA

View Full Version : Seems like bodybuilding isn't for people with a light wallet

WillyTheGreat
08-23-2002, 01:40 PM
It occured to me how much money is spent buying specific types of food and how much some of y'all spend on supplements. Plus, gym memberships or having your own gym. I don't know, has this occured to anyone else?

I mean, protein bars cost like 3-4$ each and since you can't have a full meal 6 times a day if you have school or work, the bars are essential. Then, protein supplements if you don't buy a whole fuckin' cow for a week or have turkeys growing in your backyard, you'll need them to meet the necessary protein intake for the day. I really wanna be serious about bodybuilding and do the 6 times a day and track my workouts and everything but I can't say that my family goes to the market and can buy whatever we want with no limitation.

Does anyone agree or am I just going to be called a dumbass?

Someone give me serious figures on how much you spend on everything that goes down you throat every week.

TreeTrunks
08-23-2002, 01:55 PM
It really doesn't cost that much for the food. I mean stuff like brown rice, wheat bread, tuna, peanut butter, eggs, milk come cheap. Also chicken almost aways seem to be in sale for like $2 a pound same with 93% fat free beef. Just shop around and buy whats cheap. If you find chicken or beef on sale buy a whole bunch and freeze it.

For supplements a 5lbs tub of Prolab protein powder cost me $25. If you shop around you can really save some money.

ArjKing
08-23-2002, 02:01 PM
Your food costs should actually be cheaper than the average Joe who eats out 5x a week since you have to cook every meal for yourself, eating in is way cheaper than dining out. You should be eating 6 smaller meals, not full size meals, so your caloric intake is about the same as if you weren't bodybuilding, plus or minus a few hundred calories if you're bulking or cutting. So the food cost is about the same. You don't have to buy expensive health foods, most of the stuff that is good for you is pretty cheap. So I don't think that food costs are really an issue if you're smart about it. The only supplement you really need is protien powder if you ask me and thats about $35 for a months supply, add in $20-$30 a month for a gym membership, thats all there is to it. So yeah maybe $70 a month is alot for some people, but think of the money you save because if you're serious about bodybuilding you won't be eating out as much, you wont be spending as much on alcohol or drugs, no cigs etc, and think of the money you save yearly on going to the doctor and buying medicine because you are going to be a healthier person.

TreeTrunks
08-23-2002, 02:08 PM
good points arj!

Stray
08-23-2002, 02:08 PM
I think it does cost alot of you want to go all out and invest in the latest sups and the best equipment...but if your a little creative you can get it all done cheaply.

I mean how much does a can of tuna cost? $.60? A dozen eggs...$.99? a Gallon or two of Skim milk ..There was a time when I was eating like 6 or 7 cans of tuna a day due to having very little cash.

As for equipment you can get a single dumbbell and work with that if you include body weight exercises.

It being too expensive sounds a bit like an excuse...

One thing about people is they don't like to be wrong...if you say its too costly or too time consuming to do, then soon it will be.

TreeTrunks
08-23-2002, 02:18 PM
yeah it can be very expensive if you want the latest supplements that claim to be just as effective as steroids and increase musle mass by 24000% etc. But really what works is good food and protein powder. If you run into some cash try one of those supplements, thats what I do. It works for me.

David
08-23-2002, 02:26 PM
LOL, dude, you have got to be kidding us.

i bet you that a guy who goes to McDonalds for lunch everyday spends more money on food than i do. and i eat 3 chicken breasts, 3 cans of tuna, a dozen eggs (actually eggs whites), not to mention rice and oatmeal. all this costs less then 5 bucks a day. lets see...go to McDonalds for one meal or make your own meals, LOL.

my gym membership costs 8 bucks a month.

oh man, if you are buying protein bars for $3-4 each you are getting ripped off. i bought a couple just to see what they taste like, and they taste like ass (not that i ever ate ass or anything).

LOL@bars are essential.

How much money do you spend on all of this? Probably a lot from the sound of your post, you have to stop buying those protein bars, dude, i mean, even if you buy 1 a day at @$3 x 30, thats 90 bucks right there. you are just full of excuses.

a lot of people on this board have jobs and go to school. don't you get breaks in school? it takes like 5-10min (at most) to eat these meals, remember they don't have to be huge ass meals or anything. can't you eat in class? that's what i always do (just make sure that for those meals that you're eating in class you choose chicken and not tuna, seems that a lot of non BBs don't like it, LOL, not to mention boiled eggs). something about the smell...all this talk is making me hungry, i'm going to eat.

Shao-LiN
08-23-2002, 02:28 PM
Considering that most people just eat out or buy junk food...re-focusing those funds towards clean food shouldn't be that much of a problem. Other than food and some whey protein, you really don't "need" anything else. The supplements just aid people.

I go to school and don't need MRPs. I cook my food in the mornings and pack it into my hardy tupperware and stick it in my backpack. When I get a break, pop some food in.

But the gym part would cost you some. I'm fortunate enough to have a father who enjoys working out too, especially since he has diabetes...and a brother who also reads these forums and works out, so I benefit from their equipment =P.

TreeTrunks
08-23-2002, 03:47 PM
On the gym side of things, I have found that the best gyms cost the least amout of money and the worst gyms are the most expensive and have contracts and its just a mess.

LAM
08-23-2002, 04:37 PM
compared to how much money I could spend if I was out drinking all the time it's a drop in the bucket ! lol

Bruise Brubaker
08-23-2002, 05:05 PM
Taking 6 meals a day isn't "ESSENTIAL", so the protein bars are'nt essential...

Taking supplements isn't essential, because eating 1g of protein per pound isn't essential... I'm currently taking less proteins than that (it can vary a lot, from 100 to 150, I weight 185) and I see very good progress, if the good progress ever slow down I'll try more proteins and see what it does.

Of course, all those non essentials things may help a lot, but they aren't necessary.

WillyTheGreat
08-23-2002, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the all the input people.

I was reading everything y'all had to say and it occured to me why it seems like it's more expensive to me...it's because my family doesn't follow the same diet as I do when I'm working out so it's like the X amount of dollars every week or month on top of the "regular" grocery shopping.

08-23-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by WillyTheGreat
Thanks for the all the input people.

I was reading everything y'all had to say and it occured to me why it seems like it's more expensive to me...it's because my family doesn't follow the same diet as I do when I'm working out so it's like the X amount of dollars every week or month on top of the "regular" grocery shopping.

bingo.

duque21
08-23-2002, 08:57 PM
All I have to say coming from a poor student, is TUNA, Yogurt, Fat-Free milk, and frozen chicken breast........some of the best sources of protein and the cheapest

Manveet
08-23-2002, 11:32 PM
You don't need supps or bars. Just by solid food, it's cheap.

RainerG9
08-24-2002, 04:30 AM

I couldnt agree more. If ur family gets by by eating fruits, bread, pasta and cooks meat 1-2 times a week (like mine), then yeah buying all those chicken breasts/cottage cheese/fish etc does tend to end up being quite expensive. Supplements can also be quite expensive, I pay 80-90 dollars for a 5pound tub of protein powder (depending on the brand), which only lasts for like a month! and if i order online, i pay a lot of money for delivery, coz i live in Cyprus, so it ends up being roughly the same price as buying it from here.

As far gym costs, I pay 38 dollars a month, which is quite good, but i dunno how much the costs are in the U.S, although i know from my sis that gym memberships are quite expensive in the UK.

[QUOTE] Someone give me serious figures on how much you spend on everything that goes down you throat every week.

Considering I eat chicken or fish each day, 9-10 eggs, cottage cheese and roughly 2-3 cans of tuna, these cost around 15 dollars a day. The other foods i eat are stuff every1 eats at home, but the stuff we buy especially for me should cost around 100-110 dollars per week. (excluding supps)

Even though it is quite expensive, I believe if ure really dedicated to the sport, and sort out your priorities, u can make space in ur budget for ur bodybuilding needs without any problem.

Dont spend ur pocket money on eating out or eating at school(assuming u take some pre-made meal from home with u), and dont waste ur money on drinking, and ull be fine.

My parents pay for all my foods, except for my supps. I save my pocket money for the supps, and i get along just fine.

By the way, dont waste ur money on protein bars, theyre too expensive for the quality of nutrients ure getting. Get some protein powder or MRP, they should cost u much cheaper per serving than a protein bar. (protein powders are much cheaper anyway, not very sure about MRP's, depends on the brand,ingredients etc.)

RainerG9
08-24-2002, 04:31 AM
grr i got the quoting business wrong..:mad:

FuriousFerret
08-24-2002, 11:18 AM
Dont dig into the hype, those IFBB pros didn't get big eating some meal replacement bar they're just making money. Lowfat cottage cheese and yogurt, skim milk and whey, and a few other combos are cheap and all you need.

zwarrior99
08-24-2002, 10:28 PM
not true, you can be all natrual and say screw the supplements and all that other junk! Go to the local dump, and start lifting some tractor tires to get a good pump! Then move to the refregerators for a light set of deadlifts!

Ti1301
08-25-2002, 02:04 PM
How do you guys not get sick of eating the same stuff over and over again day after day.
I mean I could only do Tuna everyday fo no more than 2 weeks straight.
After a while Tuna sandwhiches just wern't as great as they were in the beginning .

LAM
08-25-2002, 06:03 PM
when you eat for function vs flavor it's very easy. Eating it appease the palette is one of the worst habits a person can acquire.

NateDogg
08-25-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by zwarrior99
not true, you can be all natrual and say screw the supplements and all that other junk! Go to the local dump, and start lifting some tractor tires to get a good pump! Then move to the refregerators for a light set of deadlifts!

:offtopic:

What supplements (of those that are reasonably within the scope of this thread) would you consider to be outside the realm of "natural."

gary
08-26-2002, 12:24 AM
You should buy protein powders and protein bars from a good web-site such as dpsnutrition.com, netrition.com or proteinfactory.com, where these cost $25 for 5lbs and $20/12bar respectively. Each bar being 30-33gms protein.

Get chicken/seafood/meat in a bulk from costco/SAMs club. Cook these every weekend and freeze them. Then, re-heat right before eating. Add some raw salad/vegetables, fruits, olive oil and nuts. If you wanna gain weight, add some whole wheat bread, oats, brown rice or barley. Again, you can cook lots of brown rice every few days or buy whole grain breads (preferably the sprouted ones). Buy some eggs, egg whites and cottage cheese in bulk from costco/SAM. You are done.

Nuts: costco, SAMs or walmart sell cheaper. Eg. Almonds: $2/lb. Flax seeds: get it from internet too. http://www.heintzmanfarms.com sell these for less than $5/lb. Many grocery stores also sell Bob's grounded flax seed powder.

With these pointers, you should really be able to reduce your expenses drastically while still getting the required nutrition.

Pineapple Devil
08-26-2002, 09:48 AM
eggs- 3 dozen for $2.66
green beans- a HUGE can for $2.49
boneless skinless breast- 14 for $12.99
oatmeal- a HUGE container for $4.99
meat- 90% for $1.99lb
cottage cheese- a HUGE container for $3.49
10lb bag of optimum nutrition 100% whey- $45
rice- a HUGE box-$4.99
EAS low carb protein bar-36 for $47.88
tuna- a HUGE can-$4.99
skim milk- $2.09 a gallon

i'll have 3 shakes, 5 eggs, cup of oats, 2 chicken breast, 2 cups of greens, 1 protein bar, 1 1/2 can of tuna, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and some other stuff a day. its not all that bad really.

WillyTheGreat
08-26-2002, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all the tips people...I'm going to start my routine again and these posts have been really helpful.

I never thought about cooking and freezing...I always put them in the frige or cooked them everyday which took a long while. I'ma have to try that.

WillyTheGreat
08-26-2002, 04:18 PM
By the way...I'm not a fan of cottage cheese...is that a problem? It just looks like curdled milk to me and makes my stomach turn just looking at it.

NateDogg
08-26-2002, 07:02 PM
By the way...I'm not a fan of cottage cheese...is that a problem? It just looks like curdled milk to me and makes my stomach turn just looking at it.

Nah, you can definitely get by without it. However, I hated it once too. Now it's not so bad, sometimes it even tastes good! My favorite is Breakstone's 4% small curd. Give some of the better brands like that a shot and you might end up liking it.

TreeTrunks
08-26-2002, 09:57 PM
Since nate brought up Breakstone DO NOT I repeate DO NOT buy Breakstones low fat cottage cheese, its the worst!!!!!!!!! Blah! Its weird though I've heard many times that there 4% is really good though. Weird.

Comrade Flynn
08-29-2002, 02:41 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I buy Carb Solution bars that are expired by 1 month (can taste NO difference). I get 60 of them for $20.

NateDogg
08-29-2002, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
Since nate brought up Breakstone DO NOT I repeate DO NOT buy Breakstones low fat cottage cheese, its the worst!!!!!!!!! Blah! Its weird though I've heard many times that there 4% is really good though. Weird.

My girlfriend loves 2% Breakstone's.

wrestlemaniac
08-30-2002, 08:39 AM
I got all my weights and a bench for 10 bucks at a garage sale:)

Tryska
08-30-2002, 08:44 AM
one thing i've noticed is the way i shop now (basically fresh meats and vegetables, fruits and unrefined carbs) costs much less then all the processed crap from the inside of a grocery store.

TurboStu
08-31-2002, 02:02 PM
Shop around. I usually pay 95 cents a can for tuna, but I found a great deal 3 for a dollar (needless to say I have about two cases sitting at my house right now :) Find it cheap, and eat it up, good luck!