PDA

View Full Version : Too much protein per meal?

RainerG9
08-24-2002, 06:48 AM
I weigh 135 pounds, eat 6-7 times a day, about 30 grams per meal.

However, after my post-workout shake I usually have 500 grams of chicken breast or swordfish, as I feel really hungry. I have this meal at around 9p.m. which is my second last meal, but it will probably be the last when school starts.

That adds up to 100+ grams of protein, and Ive read that your body can only utilize a certain amount of protein at one time. Is this too much? If my body doesnt use all of this protein, what happens to the rest? does it get stored as fat?

im supposed to have 135-200 grams per day (1-1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight), but I usually have more. Is it bad having "too much protein?"

By the way, I eat this much protein, coz first im hungry, and secondly i dont eat carbs at that time of the day, as I sleep around 11-12. Im bulking, but trying to minimise fat gains. So i just have my protein food with veggies.

what do u guys think? should i eat less protein? should i save half of it and eat right before bed? how long does it take to digest chicken/fish? (i.e. is it good as a bed-time meal?)

thnx

Puttn
08-24-2002, 06:56 AM
i have eaten up to 90g of protein in one sitting.. however i keep mine around 55g a meal... protein is a good source and you cant have too much unless you have kidney problems... there is lots of research behind this.. however i still suggest no more than 2x your bodyweight in grams of protein you still need fats and carbs... i mix egg whites and cottage cheese and scramble them for a casein protein meal before bed about 160 calories and carbs only from cottage cheese

DcK
08-24-2002, 08:03 PM
I think after about 50g of protein in one sitting, especially at that weight, most of the rest will not be absorbed as protein, it'll be converted into glucose and used, stored as fat, or it'll be excreted.

zwarrior99
08-24-2002, 10:25 PM
i agree with DCK!