PDA

View Full Version : De-caf Green Tea

tudmuf2b
08-26-2002, 07:40 AM
Just wondering, does decaf green tea still give you the same health benefits (anti-oxidants) of green tea? I figure that w/o the caffeine, it's not as effective in weight loss, but don't know about the rest.

Thanks.

heathj
08-27-2002, 02:27 AM
Shouldn't make much of a difference. Just no caffeine.

SkinnyPupp
08-27-2002, 02:42 AM
Green tea never had caffiene to begin with, I think. Only black tea does, from the fermentation process..

Could be wrong

SkinnyPupp
08-27-2002, 02:48 AM
OK here we go:

Green Tea yields about 12mg per cup.

Black Tea about 40-100mg

So I would say the caffeine content of green tea is pretty much negligible... Unless you are hyper reactive to caffeine, which is what that product you are talking about was ment for.

SkinnyPupp
08-27-2002, 02:52 AM
Some more info:

"EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) is a very powerful antioxidant and is believed to be an important player in the therapeutic qualities of green tea."

"But can you switch to decaf? The answer is, maybe. It all depends on how your chosen tea is decaffeinated. Tea that has been decaffeinated with a solvent (such as Ethyl Acetate) is going to have a much lower level of EGCG, than a tea that has been processed with a water/carbon dioxide method. Water decaffeinated tea will retain almost 95% of its EGCG."

I guess that's all you need to know :)

tudmuf2b
08-27-2002, 08:34 AM
thanks folks. I've been using yohimbine, so I wanted to lessen my caffeine intake, so I don't go nuts! :)

Sebi
08-31-2002, 10:55 AM
green tea doesn't contain caffineine. at least not over here.

SkinnyPupp
08-31-2002, 04:38 PM
Sebi green tea contains about 12mg per cup, no matter what country it is brewed in. Of course that depends on how long it is steeped; light green tea would of course have less, and strong green tea would have more.

But yeah, it does contain SOME. After all, it is TEA. lol

Sebi
08-31-2002, 09:37 PM
sp,
there are more than 10 kinds of green tea, so i'm not sure which one we are talking about. after all i'm not that sure either.

SkinnyPupp
09-01-2002, 01:32 AM
I'm pretty sure there are minor variances between the types, but overall the plant the tea is made from naturally has some caffeine in it. Since it is not fermented, green tea will have less than black tea, but I'm pretty sure you could say all green tea has some caffeine, unless it is decaffienated (as described above)...