PDA

View Full Version : ExtremeAnabolic's journal

Songsangnim
08-26-2002, 08:07 AM
Okay, this is to provide some additional motivation. We'll see how it goes. Due to work-related complications ( I am a English teacher in the Republic of South Korea) I have been unable to get to the gym (twice in two months) and am feeling flabby and out- of -shape. So I am starting my new regime on Wednesday. My split will be a basic four-day type. Legs on Monday, chest on Wednesday, back on Friday, and arms and shoulders on Saturday. Yes I know, I have been a consistant poster on the "evils":D of working shoulders if one is working chest and back with heavy compound movements. However I will be doing only one exercise for chest and back, and due to the reduced volume, I believe that the shoulders will be able to tolerate the extra direct work. Legs will receive a more typical bodybuilding workout. Squats and leg presses for sets of 20. For chest and back I will be doing the bench press (6x6) and deadlift (6x6). I received very positive results from doing the 6x6 for chest last time, and hopefully it will work for the deadlift too. I may drop the shoulders and arms day later on, if that extra work affects my dead and bench. I will not be doing the 6x6 for legs as they seem to respond better to high reps. Anyway this will be my program for the next two months, albeit with a slight tweaking here and there :)

Songsangnim
08-29-2002, 10:00 AM
Due to a literal last-change minute in my teaching schedule I will have to change the days I work out (now Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday) I will also have to train three days instead of four, which means more work will have to be compressed into three days. Now that this little preamble is out of the way, I can get to the meat of the training. Today was chest, shoulders and triceps.

Chest work: Flat bench press.
Warmup: 5 minutes stretching and two sets of 70 kilo bench presses at 12 reps each.
Workout: 1*6@100 kilos.
1 minute rest
1*6@100 kilos.
1 minute rest
Four more sets were performed in the same style. That was it for chest.

Shoulder work: Overhead standing press.
Warmup: 1 set of 20 kilos done for 10 reps.
Workout: 3 sets of 40 kilos done for six reps each. The bar was lowered to nose level and then pressed upwards again on each rep. Could have gone heavier but have not done this exercise for eight years.

Tricep work: Standing tricep pushdowns
Warmup: 2 light sets of 20 kilos for ten reps each.
Workout: 1 all-out set of 40 kilos for 13 reps, (could not quite get the 14th one.)

And that was it for Thursday. The shoulders don't feel quite right, and I am not talking about the onset of the soreness. They feel somewhat looser than normal. I think that I will drop the direct shoulder work from now on. I just don't want to risk injury, particularly in a weak spot.:eek:

Songsangnim
08-31-2002, 06:20 AM
Today was Saturday. This was intended to be a back and biceps day. However the gym was closed due to a typhoon warning. Yes you read that right. As I type this post, South Korea is in the grip of a country wide typhoon. My city is just on the edge of it, so it's not too bad here...but still gale-force winds and literal sheets of rain coming down. The TV anchor said that this was the worst typhoon in 43 years (if I understood her correctly;)) Looks like I'll end up doing chins off of the basement rafters:D

Songsangnim
09-02-2002, 10:31 PM
Today (Tuesday) is/was leg day. Since the leg press machine and squat rack were both occupied (and the latter NOT to perform squats, I might add) I was forced to do a routine consisting solely of squats on the squat machine. I did five warm-up sets (on the highest setting), pyramiding up to the last plate on the machine. Then I lowered the setting (to parallel) and performed 2 sets of ten reps at 200 kilos. The first set went okay, but at the eighth reps of the second set I had to stand erect for a moment and take a quick breather (with the weight still on my shoulders) before finishing. I noticed that the machine was much easier on my lower back and knees than the squat rack (which is rather flimsy anyway). I think that I will be utilizing the machine from on now for squats. Before the howls of protest from people saying I must use free weight, I would like to point out, that a muscle doesn't have eyes. It can't tell if you are using a machine or free weight. "Well, what about the fact that free weights involve more musculature?" I hear you say. At 200 kilos, you are involving a h**l of a lot of muscle, I can tell you from experience.

Songsangnim
09-05-2002, 11:01 AM
Chest and triceps day. Performed my usual warm-up which consisted of 5 mins of stretching and three light sets on the bar. Since by then, I was throughly warmed up, I went to my working weight (100 kg) and performed my standard six sets of six, with a strict one minute rest in between the sets. Triceps work consisted of three progressively heavier sets and then one balls-to-the-wall set of eleven reps at 45 kilos on the triceps pushdown. These reps were all done in good form, elbows tucked into the sides and no body English to grind out more reps. That was it. I could have done more weight, but held back due to coming off a long layoff. Eventually I'll get back to where I was...then set new goals for myself at that point.

MonStar
09-06-2002, 07:05 AM
Hey EA it would really help if you layed your workout out like in a list format. Like this:

Squats: 225 x 5

Or like I do:

Squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 3

Any maybe convert the kg. to lbs. Because I think that the majority of us here at WBB, or at least a good # of us, are from the United States. Just a suggestion man. I enjoy reading your workouts but its hard to figure out how much weight youre actually moving etc. And its much easier to read a list than read a paragraph, ya know?

Songsangnim
09-08-2002, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback Monstar. I will incorporate those suggestions into my next training post.

Songsangnim
09-09-2002, 11:55 PM
Today was leg day.
After throughly warming up with light sets of leg presses and squats I decided to try below parallel. Never have I done ATG squats, since the few times I had gone below parallel, seemed to greatly increase the pressure on my knees. (I'm six-two and with very long limbs, arm-span of six-six and legs to match, so that might have something to do with it.) All poundages are in lbs.

Squats: 220 * 15, 220 * 15, 220 * 20

Leg Press: 225 * 15, 225 * 15, 225 * 20

The weight was light, due to the fact I was performing a new movement. Only two inches to be sure, but it was a whole lot harder than starting at parallel. So I kept the weight low and the reps high in order to pay more attention to form. Get that down first and the rest will follow. I experienced no undue pressure on my knees which was a pleasant surprise. Results: A great pump, but I am not sure how much actual growth (if any) occured. I have always been a low volume ( low sets&reps) and high weight trainer. And always more focused on strength than size. Size can be a disadvantage at times (especially where I am) but it is never a disadvantage to be strong.

Songsangnim
09-11-2002, 11:18 PM
Warmup: 5 mins of stretching, and some bar work. 154*15 198*15

Chest workout: 242*6, 242*6, 242*6, 242*6, 242*6, 242*6.

Triceps workout: 55*12 77*10, 77*9

The chest workout consisted of flat bench presses, and the triceps were pressdowns.

As always the bar did NOT come down to my chest, but to about three inches or so off my chest. I have very long arms for my height (6'6"+ armspan ) and bringing it all the way down, puts intense pressure on my shoulders. Doing it all the way to the chest, is, I feel, an excessive range of motion for the long armed trainee. Even at that my elbows go past the bench I'm lying on. tuttut (However, given that I have the wingspan of a California conder my ROM is probably the same as an average limbed-person.) All flat bench sets were done with a one minute rest in between. The tricep pressdowns were done with strict form and to failure.

MonStar
09-11-2002, 11:35 PM
Chest workout: 242*6, 242*6, 242*6, 242*6, 242*6, 242*6.

Nice strength EA! :D:D

Songsangnim
09-13-2002, 07:42 AM
Thanks Monstar, it's always nice to get some positive feedback. However keep in mind that the bar does not touch my chest. I always set the safety pins about three inches above to preserve my shoulders, so that's one reason I am quite "strong" in the bench press. Pressing off the chest is usually the weak spot in most trainees' bench:cool:

Songsangnim
09-14-2002, 03:21 AM
Today was back and biceps.

Back workout:

Deadlift: 210*6, 210*6, 210*6 (felt a slight strain in lower back) and stopped the back workout. After stretching and massaging the spot, I moved on to biceps.

Seated preacher curl. 55*8, 55*8, 55*6(failure on last set)
Standing barbell curl . 55*8. (all bicep sets were done with BB)

I always do the same warm-up (more or less) so I will not be including it in the posts from now on. Rest assured however, that I am not skipping it (in the gym):D

Songsangnim
09-18-2002, 11:29 PM
Yesterday was leg day.

Squats (parallel) 220*20, 220*20, 220*20

Leg Press (thighs to chest) 220*20, 220*20 220*20

Today was chest and triceps

Flat bench press (on machine to add variety)
220*12, 242*10, 265*10 (the handles were about one inch above my chest in the starting position)

Triceps pushdown
55*12, 77*10, 99*9 (tried for 10 and didn't quite make it):mad:

Generally I like to rest one or two days between training sessions but on this Friday and the weekend the gym (and other businesses) are closed because of Chusok (a big Korean national holiday) I'll be travelling down to Yosu this weekend to hit the beach. It's still hot enough down here (26 C today)

Alex.V
09-19-2002, 06:35 AM
Just curious, EA, what kind of leg press machine are you using? The standard 45 degree sled, or....?

And actually, I gotta admit, I'm curious is deadlifts are really doing much for your lats. I've always held that these are strictly a posterior chain exercise. Have you always focused on deads for your back?

Finally... I like the workouts. For somebody who has limited time, they definitely seem like the best way to maximize results.

Songsangnim
09-20-2002, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Belial
Just curious, EA, what kind of leg press machine are you using? The standard 45 degree sled, or....?

And actually, I gotta admit, I'm curious is deadlifts are really doing much for your lats. I've always held that these are strictly a posterior chain exercise. Have you always focused on deads for your back?

Finally... I like the workouts. For somebody who has limited time, they definitely seem like the best way to maximize results.

I utilize the 45 degree sled. It is the only leg press machine here in any of the Korean gyms (5) that I have been in.

As regards deads, I never performed them until about three years ago or so. I always regarded them as a powerlifter's exercise and dangerous to perform. Instead I relied on chins, lat pulldowns and pulley rows to build my back. T-bar and yates rows did nothing for me, except to hurt my back. After reading Stuart MacRobert's excellent book Brawn, I was motivated to give deads a try. I've definitely noticed a change in my back from doing them, although that change is mostly thickness, as opposed to width. I can't say that they've really built my lats...but I have not experienced much atrophy in those areas either.

Thanks for the kind words. It's not so much limited time that forces my workouts to be short though, but limited recovery ability.

Songsangnim
09-25-2002, 09:01 AM
Today was leg day. I am not one of those people who go to the gym with their workout plan in hand and religiously adhere to every last set and rep. I go by instinctive training. In some circles instinctive training has gotten a bad rap, popularized as it has been by the Joe Weider crew. When I use that term, I mean listen to your body. This is not something you are born with, but develop over many years of training. In other words, less experienced trainees are probably better off sticking with a plan.
There may be some people on this forum that consider this to be heresy, but it obviously works for me. Anyway, church is over, time to get to the training:)

Machine squat: 220*20 (followed by leg press 230*20 no rest in between the squat and leg press).
Machine squat: 220*20 (followed by leg press 230*20 no rest in between the squat and leg press)
Machine squat: 220*20 (followed by leg press 230*12, failed on 13th rep)

A five minute rest was taken between each extended set.
That was it for legs.

Songsangnim
09-27-2002, 09:13 AM
Yesterday was chest and triceps.

Flat bench press: 242*6, 242*6, 242*6, 242*6, 242*6, 242*6

The first three sets were relatively easy, the fourth more difficult, the fifth very hard, and the sixth was absolutely brutal. All sets were done with a one minute rest in between*

Triceps pressdown. 77*10, 88*10, 99*8 (couldn't get 10):mad:

* had to rest 75 seconds between the fifth and sixth.

Songsangnim
09-27-2002, 09:20 AM
Today was back and biceps. Due to a planned visit to the DMZ (the no-man's land between North and South Korea) I had to train on Friday instead of Saturday.

Deadlift: 210*10, 210*10 (very easy, so I increased the weight) 255*10, 255*10.

Biceps standing curl: 55*8 (and felt a sharp twinge in lower back). Changed to seated preacher curls which were pain-free.
45*8, 45*8, 45*8

I kept the workout short, because by this point in the week, due to a hectic work and travel schedule, I had trained for 3 consecutive days. Not generally a good idea. Hopefully by next week things will be back to "normal" Well, that's life in the Land of the Morning Calm for you.

Songsangnim
09-30-2002, 11:50 PM
Leg day. Had a late night, and as a result had only six hours of sleep. tuttut Note to self, must get to bed more early.

Squat. This was performed on the machine (and with lower reps than usual), in order to focus more on form.
440*10, 440*10, 440*10

After the squats my lower back was feeling quite fatigued, so instead of leg presses, I opted for leg extensions.

Leg extensions: 110*12, 110*12, 110*12

All squats were done parallel and the leg extensions were taken to about 2-3 inches short of lockout. Note to self, utilize a belt for squats?
Feeling quite tired today. Since I don't have to work until 5 PM though, I have some time to rest. And only four classes today. This is why I usually do legs on Tuesday...and deadlifts on Saturday:D

Songsangnim
09-30-2002, 11:56 PM
On Saturday, I will be going to the Asian Games. Yes, before you ask I will be watching the bodybuilding competition (among other sports as well) It's not the Olympia but given the anti-JW mindset (of which I am part of) on this board , maybe it's just as well:D So no training commentary on Saturday.

Songsangnim
10-02-2002, 11:16 PM
Today was chest and triceps.

Flat bench press: 242*6, 242*6, 242*6, 242*6, 242*6, 242*6

Triceps pushdown: 77*10, 88*10, 99*10

Time to move up in weight

Songsangnim
10-08-2002, 08:37 AM
Today was leg day.

I am not quite sure what was happening. Throughout the entire workout I remained unfocused and unmotivated. Normally I can prepare myself for a workout, even should I not feel like one. Not this time. I doubt that overtraining was the cause, since I had four full rest days inbetween this workout and the last (Thursday-Tuesday). Today I just couldn't get into high gear. Since I hate to waste a workout, I settled for high reps and form-watching. On machine squats (an exercise which I have recently begun), I was able to correct a small error in form (a slight rounding of the back)

Machine squats: 330*20, 330*20, 330*20

Leg press: 270*10, 270*10, 270*10

All squats were done to parallel, and all leg presses were TTC, or thighs to chest. The leg presses were done quite slowly, with a four second count on the way down, but two on the way up. Just experimenting. Hey like I said, I hate to waste a workout :D

Songsangnim
10-10-2002, 11:58 AM
Today was chest day.

Since the sole flat bench press was occupied by people using it to do leg raises:mad: tuttut I was forced to use the machine.

Machine bench press: 286*6, 286*6, 286*6, 286*6, 286*4 (failed on fifth set)

All sets were done with a one minute rest in between sets.

I did not do triceps, as after the chest work they were completely fried.

Songsangnim
10-12-2002, 03:55 AM
Back and biceps day

Partial deadlift( off the rack about 2 inches below the knees)

I warmed up with five progressively heavier sets and then did one work set of 265*10

Standing Barbell Curl: 55*8, 55*8, 55*8

I found the partials to be much easier than the full deadlifts. I think I will stick with partials for a while and attempt to get the weight up again in those. New goal= partial deadlift 315*5

Songsangnim
10-14-2002, 11:25 PM
Leg day today.

What an absolutely horrid workout!

Lack of sleep and motivation combined with lack of proper attention= a garbage workout.

Machine squat: 330*10, 330*10, 330*10

The leg press was occupied so I substituted leg extensions for them. Big mistake.

Leg extension: 140*8 (felt a sharp pain in right knee and stopped at once)

No pain now, and hopefully I didn't damage anything. We'll see how things feel on deadlift day (Saturday)

And that's all I have to say about THAT!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :swear: :bang:

Songsangnim
10-22-2002, 12:40 AM
Due to mild injury (an nagging pain in right forearm) and a bout with flu, I have not managed another workout in a week. Today, having just recovered from both, I attempted a leg workout. After warming up, I did leg presses.

Leg press: 230*12, 230*12, 230*12

After the third set I felt unusually lightheaded, and faint nausea (as well as increasing fatigue). I stopped the workout at this point. Due to the flu, I had seriously restricted my caloric intake, which I believe to be a major factor in the above symptoms. Increasing rest and food will probably assist me in putting up a better workout on Thursday. Despite the disappointing workout, it feels good to be back in the gym once more.

Franjipani
10-22-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic
Due to mild injury (an nagging pain in right forearm) and a bout with flu, I have not managed another workout in a week. Today, having just recovered from both, I attempted a leg workout. After warming up, I did leg presses.

LOL....What is it with everybody and the damn flu at the moment:confused:...

Its a great feeling getting back into the gym after a respite*better still after the first couple of sessions*. Hope those weather conditions have calmed down for ya?? :).

Songsangnim
10-23-2002, 07:23 AM
LOL.
TY Franjipani. Still feeling under the weather, but hopefully a good night's rest will clear that up. The flu's going around my school right now. I must have caught it off one of my students.

Songsangnim
10-24-2002, 10:45 AM
Chest and triceps day

Since it has been about two months or so, I have decided to switch back to a more typical bodybuilding workout for chest rather than continue with the 6*6.

Flat bench press: 242*12, 242*12, 242*10, 242*11 (failed on the eleventh rep of the third set and 12th of the fourth set)

Straight-bar triceps pressdown (as opposed to the cable rope pressdown) 55*10, 77*10. And that was it. My triceps and chest were fried like KFC. Not a great workout, but a decent one. I chalked it up to changing the style of my chest workouts.

Songsangnim
10-26-2002, 01:42 AM
Back and biceps day.

Deadlift: Pyramided up to work set weight and did three sets
255*5, 255*5, 255*5

Biceps: Seated preacher curl: 50*10, 50*10, 50*10**

** used some body English on the 9th+10th rep of the last set.
The curls were performed with the EZ bar.

Songsangnim
11-01-2002, 10:09 AM
Should have rested more. Have been sick with a sinus infection for a solid week now. No training for the same.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Songsangnim
11-06-2002, 11:13 PM
Back in the gym finally. Today was chest day.

Flat bench press. 220*10, 242*10, 264*10, 286*10
I was quite happy with that, given that I have not trained (due to illness-related complications) for almost two weeks now.

No triceps workout. No time, as I woke up an hour later than my usual workout time, and had to hurry things a bit.

MonStar
11-06-2002, 11:14 PM
Awesome bench strength EA!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Flat bench press. 220*10, 242*10, 264*10, 286*10

:eek::eek:

Songsangnim
11-07-2002, 10:01 AM
Ty Monstar. Remember that the range of motion though begins three inches off the chest. I do not bring it down to the chest since it affects my shoulders negatively. Probably one of the reasons for my bench strength. Also I have been employing a six by six program recently for it, and that's another reason for the extremely strong bench. Now, if I could only get my deadlifts up to par.....

Songsangnim
11-12-2002, 07:59 AM
Today was leg day.

Since I can do the entire stack for about twenty reps at parallel, I decided to go down one notch below parallel and do my machine squats that way.

Machine squats: 350*10, 350*10
(The lower back at this point was feeling slightly fatigued, maybe due to the increased depth, so I switched to seated leg presses).

Leg presses: 220*15, 220*15, 220*15

And that was it for legs.

Could hardly walk downstairs after that. The knees kept trying to buckle under me. I had to hold on the railing to descend safely. Once I was on level ground, I locked the knees and was able to walk back to my house, albeit a bit stiff-legged. That's how I judge a good leg day by the way...when you can't get down the stairs unassisted.

Songsangnim
11-15-2002, 08:50 AM
Yesterday was chest day.

Work sets were as follows: 242*12, 264*9, 286*9, 308*8, 330*6 (last set was a personal record)

None of these sets were taken to failure except for the last. They were also done with about 3-5 minutes rest in between each set. No direct triceps work was done. I was satisfied with what I had done and decided to call it a day. Plus I only had an hour and a half left to get back home, shower, change, eat and go to work.

Songsangnim
11-15-2002, 11:20 PM
Back and biceps day:

Deadlift: 253*10, 265*8, 265*8

Biceps curl: 50*10, 50*8, 50*7

Songsangnim
11-19-2002, 12:59 AM
Leg day.

MX Machine squats (two inches or so below parallel) 330*10, 330*10.

Again due to the lower back fatiguing, I was forced to cut the squat workout short and move to leg presses. I have decided after consideration, to lower the weight and focus on conditioning my lower back to withstand the below parallel position.

Leg press: 220*15, 220*15, 220*15

On a related note I was able to walk down the stairs without holding onto the railing...but only just:D

shredder
11-19-2002, 12:34 PM
hey EA nice workouts.
i have a questoin about ur 6x6 routine. u say u have to find ur 12 rep max and then do 6 sets of 6 reps right? and how many pounds do u add a week ?
BTW, how much do u weigh and how much is ur bench max?
thanx and sorry for stupid questins

Songsangnim
11-20-2002, 07:48 AM
Well, at present I am not doing the six by six, as I find it too draining to maintain it long-term. But yes, you find your 12 rep max. You should not be able to do 13, but you should be able to do 12. (BTW do NOT do this on the free bench press without a capable spotter or two. It is HIGHLY dangerous without one. If you don't have a spotter, the bench machine can substitute, although I prefer free bench). Here are the main features of the exercise:

1. Find your 12 rep max.

2. Do six reps

3. Rest for just one minute and repeat

4. Continue until you have done six by six or until you can no longer get six. Ex: 3 sets of six reps and 4th set only 3 reps

A few things to consider. The first few times that you perform this exercise, you will not likely be able to get six by six. That's okay. Continue to perform the exercise until you are able to get them. Remember to only rest one minute. If it takes you a few seconds to get set up in the bench press, start getting in position a few seconds before the minute is up. You do not add weight (i know it sounds weird, but by doing so you might actually short-circuit your workout). Once you can perform six by six in good form and with only a one minute rest, stay at that level (do NOT add weight!) for at least 5 workouts/weeks. (assuming one chest workout a week) Once you have done 5 workouts/weeks (again with good form and one minute rest, you are ready to try for a new bench press max. When you do that, be sure to warm up throughly first!

My current weight is 200 lbs and I am not sure what my one rep bench max is, as I have not done it for years. However I have seen equations for figuring that out. The one I use equates 5.5 lbs per rep. So if I can do 330*6, I should be able to do 335.5*5 and so forth. However that is just an equation and what I can do in reality might not match that. Anyway I do not do one rep maxes as they are only good for powerlifters and not bodybuilders.

shredder
11-20-2002, 07:17 PM
thanx bro
how much did it increase to ur max if u dont mind me asking?

Songsangnim
11-21-2002, 10:21 AM
20 Kilos, or 44 pounds exactly. Not a huge gain, but considering that I was already a highly advanced weight trainer with 12 years experience under my belt, that was a good amount. BWT that was my 5 rep max not a 1 rep max.

Songsangnim
11-22-2002, 03:18 AM
Yesterday was chest day.

Not feeling particularly strong, could have been due to lack of sleep (7 hours at most)

Flat bench press: 220*12, 242*10, 264*9, 286*7 (failed on eighth rep)

Triceps pressdown: 55*10, 66*10, 77*8 (failed on nineth rep)

Not quite sure what the problem was (maybe lack of sleep as I mentioned above) but I just couldn't seem to hit a groove. Was struggling on every set. Oh well, maybe next time.

:confused: :mad:

Franjipani
11-22-2002, 03:31 AM
Not quite sure what the problem was (maybe lack of sleep as I mentioned above) but I just couldn't seem to hit a groove.

I know exactly what you mean about getting the groove. For me its all about mindset.......I visualise my entire workout before I even get to the gym....then I get tough :mad: play kickass tunes and it seems to do the trick most times. If I'm out of the zone...I can kiss any pb's goodbye.....

Best of luck next time EA....:D

btw... how are your weather conditions going?

Songsangnim
11-22-2002, 10:10 AM
Exactly. If you're not in the zone...not much you can do. BTW the weather conditions are good (not great but good) down here. Cold but dry. No snow no rain and usually a temperature from 8-10 C at this time of year.:D

Songsangnim
11-26-2002, 12:46 AM
Today was leg day.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have decided to start squatting below parallel, and as a result reduce the weight to give my lower back a chance to condition itself.

Machine Squat: 242*10, 242*10, 242*10, 242*10

Leg Press: 200*15, 200*15, 200*15

In order so that my thighs do not become accustomed to a much easier workout, I decreased the rest times between sets and added an extra set to the squats. I intend to also add an extra set to the leg presses. Hopefully this will keep them from losing too much strength when I go up in weight again...which probably won't be for a while:mad:

Songsangnim
11-28-2002, 08:43 AM
Today was chest and triceps day.

Bad workout:mad: :mad: :mad:

Songsangnim
12-01-2002, 09:36 AM
Gym was closed. No back and biceps workout on Saturday.

Songsangnim
12-03-2002, 10:45 AM
Joined a new gym today. As is my custom when joining new gyms I did circuit training to try out the different machines and see how they felt. (I do about a 50/50 split between machines and free weights in my training). Cons: No free weight bench press. Pros: A pec dec, shoulder press machine, and a stable power rack:)

Training: Circuit training. Nothing special.

Songsangnim
12-04-2002, 10:10 PM
Circuit training. I will be doing some variation thereof for the next few weeks. Basically it is just a breaking-in phase, until I decide to do a bodypart split again.

Songsangnim
12-10-2002, 07:29 AM
Circuit training. The only worthwhile thing reporting was my progress on the shoulder machine press. These did not hurt my shoulder (a welcome development)

100*12, 120*12, 140*8, 165*4 (failed on the fifth rep)

Songsangnim
12-11-2002, 10:43 PM
Decided to train legs by themselves today.

198*10, 220*10, 242*10, 264*10, 286*10, 308*10, 330*10

These were done on the machine squat with (roughly) about two minutes rest in between. Just to try something different. All squats were performed to parallel. This is the only setting that the machine at my gym has.

Songsangnim
12-13-2002, 10:19 AM
Will be changing gyms again at the end of the month. Went to the new one today and in addition to being far better equipped, it also costs less. So I will be going there in January.

Songsangnim
12-15-2002, 07:28 AM
Today was back day.

So I did Belial deadlifts. So named in honour of the man who got me interested in improving grip. They are done like regular deadlifts, only on the last rep of each set I would do a static hold.

150 lbs 60 second static hold
160 lbs 50 second static hold
170 lbs 40 second static hold
180 lbs 30 second static hold
190 lbs 15 second static hold (grip failed)

I used a lot less weight than I did for my regular deadlifts. This was so I could get the static holds in and focus on them instead of the weight.

Songsangnim
12-21-2002, 07:04 AM
A combination of strep throat, sinus infection, and the common cold has now kept me out of the gym for 2 weeks. These came one right after another. I am feeling slightly better though. Hopefully I will be in the gym Tuesday. We'll see how it goes. Just thought I'd update my journal for those who actually read it with an explaination.

Black_Curtain
12-22-2002, 04:24 AM
It's always like this - bad things come in groups. Hopefuly good things will come together too.

Songsangnim
12-25-2002, 05:17 AM
Well Tuesday came and went, Thursday though will be the day I return to the gym. Bodyweight is down to 185 lbs, as a result of the strep throat/flu. Some fat and some muscle were lost in about equal proportions. Will have to pay more attention to my diet and sleep, as my working hours have been increased again, to 30 a week. And a split shift to boot. Two hours every morning and the remaining 20 in the evening. Then again, that's what pays the bills:)

Songsangnim
12-27-2002, 03:45 AM
Chest and Shoulder day

Flat bench press: 170*10, 170*10, 170*10, 170*10, 170*10 Just taking it nice and easy.

Seated shoulder press: 88*12, 99*10, 110*8, 120*6.5 (failed on 7th rep.

Have had more classes added. 38 per week. Sounds like fun:rolleyes: Oh well, at least I get added compensation for anything above 30 classes.

Franjipani
12-28-2002, 12:43 AM
Cheer up EA..... its the SILLY SEASON:D :D :D.

Did you spend Xmas in Korea ?? Do you have any family with you there??

Happy New Year to you !!! I have a feeling your lifts are going to pick up dramatically in 2003..... ;)

Songsangnim
12-28-2002, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani
Did you spend Xmas in Korea ?? Do you have any family with you there??

Happy New Year to you !!! I have a feeling your lifts are going to pick up dramatically in 2003..... ;)

Yes, I spent Xmas in Korea, but not alone. I went out with a couple of Korean friends and we had bosentang for our Christmas dinner. My sister is also an English teacher in Korea, but due to conflicting schedules we couldn't get together for Xmas, probably will on New Year's Eve.
As for the lifts, I am focusing on hypertrophy right now, trying to get back those lost pounds. Hopefully 2003 will be the year I break the 350 lb deadlift barrier. Have a good New Year and 2003!

Songsangnim
12-28-2002, 02:40 AM
Back and bicep day.

Today was my first deadlift session since my two week bout with illness. These were done with a belt, but no straps. I pyramided up to 250, before switching to heavy doubles.

Deadlift: 250*2, 250*2, 250*2, 250*2, 250*2, 250*2

Preacher Machine curls. 77*10, 88*10, 99*6 (a new personal record)

At first I was puzzled why I could achieve a personal best in the curls, especially after just coming off a lengthy illness. I attributed it to the lesser number of reps in the deadlift. Usually I keep my reps in the 6-10 rep range instead of two. I believe that contributed to my PB in the machine curl.

Songsangnim
12-29-2002, 01:50 AM
Hands very sore and tender today. Probably due to lack of straps doing the deadlifts yesterday. In fact my entire arms are sore, especially the forearms and biceps. I think I will use static holds to increase grip strength, as opposed to training heavy without straps. It's just too inconvenent otherwise. I can hardly hold a pen. Not good, when you have over fifty essays to mark:(

Franjipani
12-29-2002, 05:53 AM
I can hardly hold a pen. Not good, when you have over fifty essays to mark:(

*lol*

Surely you have school holidays?? Even ex-pats need a bit of r&r now and then ;).

Good to see you regaining some of that strength back anyway....

Alex.V
12-29-2002, 08:45 AM
Today was back day.

So I did Belial deadlifts. So named in honour of the man who got me interested in improving grip. They are done like regular deadlifts, only on the last rep of each set I would do a static hold.

I just noticed this. lol.

It's odd that you would get such DOMS in the forearms and pain in the hands after pulling regular heavy deads, but not after statics... Static holds are the only thing that can really make my forearms sore at this point.

Songsangnim
12-29-2002, 09:32 AM
Franjipani, I work in a private school. The public schools in Korea are on winter holiday (in Korea the students get one month off in the winter and one off in the summer.) However the private schools stay open year-around, for those parents who want their children to study. The competition to get into a good university is extreme, and the pressure is intense (on the children). Some have been known to commit suicide, none of mine fortunately. We only get one week off in the summer, and one in the winter. The other fifty weeks are for teaching. That's why I have 38 classes now, instead of 23. The winter holidays are upon us, and the kids must have something to do with their free time, (or so goes the thinking of the parents).

Belial, I did the static holds with straps. That may account for the non-soreness I experienced. The last regular deadlifts were done strapless. Plus the static holds were done with very light weight, for form purposes. No 700 lbs here:)

Songsangnim
01-04-2003, 03:07 AM
Today I joined the new gym. Nothing really worthwhile posting. Just circuit training.

Franjipani
01-04-2003, 10:15 PM
Today I joined the new gym. Nothing really worthwhile posting. Just circuit training.

Ahhh better than nothing:D.

Wow, you sure got ripped off in the holiday department eh??? Certainly broadens your horizons though....working o/s.

I spent three years at Jakarta International School (JIS) which was the most amazing experience of my life :D

Songsangnim
01-06-2003, 07:43 AM
You worked overseas too? Small world;) Yes, it's rather interesting working and living in a completely different culture, with completely different ways of doing things, resolving problems, and dealing with people. Maybe some day I'll write a book about it.:D

Songsangnim
01-14-2003, 07:34 AM
Today was nothing special, simply circuit training.

As I mentioned, I moved to a new gym not long ago, and today was my second workout. Prior to this gym, my workouts have been in gyms, where I was usually the only member that was present at the time. Sometimes there were others, but the majority of my workouts (since I moved to Korea) have been alone. In this new gym, there were about nine or ten other people, the majority doing treadmill exercises. Anyway I wanted to throw a couple of chest exercises in to the circuit training, but the two free weight benches were occupied by towels and water bottles. Gritting my teeth I headed to the machine bench (which I regard as inferior to the free weights, but better than nothing.) This was a pathetic piece of equipment, with the weight only going up to 100 kilos (220 lbs for you Yanks). So I lay down and proceeded benching. After warming up, I quickly ended up using the top weight for 3 sets of eight. ( For the purists' records these were full benches, with the weights touching the stack each time) On my final set I sat up, only to find a group of Koreans surrounding me.
One of them pointed at me, and at the weight I was using and proclaimed in English "Power King!" His friends laughed and applauded, although whether it was the weight or the fact that he used English, I wasn't really sure. Still the sentiment was appreciated. :

Franjipani
01-16-2003, 04:25 AM
One of them pointed at me, and at the weight I was using and proclaimed in English "Power King!" His friends laughed and applauded, although whether it was the weight or the fact that he used English, I wasn't really sure. Still the sentiment was appreciated. :

Hail the "Power King" :bow:

*lol* you have your very own fan club...gotta luv that !!!

BTW: I went to school in Jakarta (JIS).... I didn't teach there... It was an International school, heavily American influenced.... I had the time of my life...:D.

Songsangnim
01-18-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

Hail the "Power King" :bow:

LOL at the Power King comment!

Today was back, grip and biceps:

Belial deadlift. 190*8, 190*8, 190*8 (the first two were done with a 20 second static hold, the last with 15 seconds...grip failed.) These were done with a belt, but without straps.

Lat pulldown. 135*10, 135*10, 135 *8

Standing dumbell one-arm curl. 30*8, 30*8, 30*8. The first two sets were done in strict form, no body English, no momentum, and elbows tucked into sides. The last set though was slightly ragged.tuttut

Franjipani
01-19-2003, 02:31 AM
The last set though was slightly ragged.tuttut

Don't start compromising form for poundage envy or you'll be back to square one again like me:eek:.

Belial deadlift looking good:thumbup:

Songsangnim
01-19-2003, 03:25 AM
Ty Franjipani. Your humor makes my day a little brighter. Yes, I should know better. Sometimes it's hard to stop when you get caught up in the momentum. A little "cheating" can be a good thing though, as long as it's not overdone.

MonStar
01-19-2003, 07:11 AM
ExtremeAnabolic: Hey man I am wondering why you are doing deadlifts for reps? Just curious. Dave Tate lists that as one of the mistakes that people make for deadlfits---going higher than 3 reps. Simply because generally peoples' form suffers.

Songsangnim
01-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by MonStar
ExtremeAnabolic: Hey man I am wondering why you are doing deadlifts for reps? Just curious. Dave Tate lists that as one of the mistakes that people make for deadlfits---going higher than 3 reps. Simply because generally peoples' form suffers.

Yes, but look at the weight I am using. They are much lighter than regular. These are what I call "Belial deadlifts" focusing on grip rather than back. I have recently (due to Belial's journal) become very interested in improving grip. In order to do so, I employ light deadlifts (no straps) and higher reps to focus on the grip. I suppose I could just do static holds, but then I'd have to call them static holds:D
For regular deadlifts I usually do only 5-6, but that depends on the weight and how I feel. If I lack energy I will lower the weight and up the reps. If I feel strong that particular day then it's the other way around. The number of reps depends on the weight and work sets vs. warms-up sets. I think Mr. Tate is talking about close to a 1 rep max. Obviously I don't think he would advise to do less than 3 for say a 50% max effort. One has to warm up, which is easier and quicker to achieve with high rep sets than with low rep sets. As I have stated before, I don't do one rep maxes any more. I prefer to use a weight I can handle (with good form) for about five reps

Songsangnim
01-23-2003, 07:13 AM
Due to the increased demands on my time (38 teaching hours) and the additional prep time for that, I have cut my working out days down from three a week to two weekly. Wednesdays and Saturdays to be precise. This schedule will run until Feb 20 or so, when regular classes resume. Wednesday will be a upper body day and Saturday a lower.

Today was upper body

Flat bench press supersetted with Dips. 8*200+8*bodyweight, 8*200+8*bodyweight, 8*200+8*bodyweight. These were done with about a 2-3 minute rest in between supersets. Nice pump.

Lat pulldown: 165*6 , 165*6, 165*5

Tricep pushdown: 110*10, 110*8

Oh yes, and upon a parents' request I showed his ten year kid how to perform dips properly. Maybe I'll set up my own personal training center in the gym and charge clients.
:angel:

Franjipani
01-24-2003, 04:07 AM
Oh yes, and upon a parents' request I showed his ten year kid how to perform dips properly. Maybe I'll set up my own personal training center in the gym and charge clients.
:angel:

*lol*

Go the "Power King":thumbup:.

Seems like your reputation is preceeding you eh???? ;)

Songsangnim
01-24-2003, 06:59 AM
When you're the only Westerner within 15 square miles of the gym, it's hard NOT to develop a reputation.:)

Songsangnim
01-25-2003, 12:17 AM
Today was grip and legs.

B deadlifts: Nothing fancy here. 135*10, (30 second hold) 135*10 (20 second hold) 135*10 (15 second hold) 135*10 (15 second hold)

Dumbbell squats: Usually I use the rack to do squats. However it was occupied by two females and a "personal trainer" who was spotting them. Said spotting consisted (and no, I am not making this up) of grabbing the rear of whichever female was in the squat rack at the time. While resting on a bench from the deadlifts, I was able to observe their exercise regime. First they did 1/4 squats, then 1/2 then 3/4 and finally ATF. All the while said spotter continued to place his hands in areas that would have got him jailed for sexual assault in the West.

110*15, 110*15, 110*12 (DB squats)

After the dumbell squats I decided to try pullovers. I set up a bench and put a dumbbell on it, to signify that it was occupied. Then I headed for the water cooler for a drink. I was gone maybe 30 seconds. I turned around and the bench had disappeared. Looking around, I saw Mr. personal trainer (and male friend) plus the two young ladies had apparently decided they needed this bench for seated shoulder presses. Here was a problem. In the West I would have gone over and informed them that I was using the said equipment. If they wanted to work in, that was fine but first come is first served. However, none of them spoke any English and my Korean is still rather basic. Eventually I decided to call it a day and headed for the locker room.tuttut :mad:

Franjipani
01-27-2003, 06:05 AM
Said spotting consisted (and no, I am not making this up) of grabbing the rear of whichever female was in the squat rack at the time. While resting on a bench from the deadlifts, I was able to observe their exercise regime. First they did 1/4 squats, then 1/2 then 3/4 and finally ATF. All the while said spotter continued to place his hands in areas that would have got him jailed for sexual assault in the West.

:eek:

*LMAO* fantastic....thats just too much....hehehehe

Funny thing is though, Asia is a totally different world....anything goes really.... Would have been hilarious to watch though...

Free entertainment, what else do you want?? :p

How are you coping with only 2 workouts per week? Noticing any differences???

MonStar
01-27-2003, 06:15 AM
Nice strength on the DB squats man! Keep up the hard work. I am wondernig how high the DBs in your gym go up to? Because the 110s is pretty high. My gym only goes to 120s.

Songsangnim
01-27-2003, 06:45 AM
Franjipani: Now you know why I want to be a personal trainer. j/k. Anyway that didn't bother me too much, as it didn't seem to be bothering the females. It does however bother me, when they try to train me. I've had a couple of guys in various gyms try to feel my chest. I'm all for experiencing different cultures, but that's taking diversity just too far. tuttut. I actually chased one of them out of one gym, after he ignored my warning. But he was let off lightly. Had my girlfriend been there, she'd have probably brained him with a dumbbell. That's why I am no longer at that gym. I go to train, not to hit on, or be hit on. As for two workouts, I am doing about the same amount of work I was in three. I prefer three, but due to work complications it will have to be two for a while yet.

MonStar: That's as high as they go. Just to the 110's. I was only doing them, because the squat rack was occupied, by Mr. personal trainer and company. Guess I'll have to start going a little earlier. Not that, judging by previous experience, would matter much. I vastly prefer BB squats to DB squats as they are just not heavy enough (at my gym). I have heard that a good gym has 120 lb DB's and a great one has 180 lb DB's. Imagine trying to train with one or two of those!

MonStar
01-27-2003, 06:51 AM
The 110s is good though for DB squats I think. I dont know, what is your 1RM for regular BB squats? Do you know?

Songsangnim
01-27-2003, 07:03 AM
Well, I really don't do 1 rep maxes. I haven't done them in years, as I think they are more useful for powerlifters. Over the past few months, until I joined the new gym, I was using a machine. Squatting to parallel with that, I could do 440 lbs for ten. However at my new gym, I am using the squat rack as it is much more stable than the one at my old one. But I have also changed my squatting style. Before it was parallel. Now it is at least several inches below. I can't do ATF, as that hurts my knees, even with just the bar. But a few inches below feels great. The most I have tried for that new style is 225 lbs for ten . For the old style BB it was 375 for ten. Once I feel more secure going below parallel, I'll start adding weight. For now I'm taking it easy.

MonStar
01-28-2003, 08:49 AM
Jeez EA I didnt realize how f*cking strong you were man!! Crazy strength. How old are you and how long have you been lifting if you dont mind me asking... You really should put your poundages and all that here in your journal in a more structured format. Just constructive criticism. I think it would help make it easier for readers to view, thats all. Keep up the hard work EA!

Songsangnim
01-29-2003, 06:26 AM
Jeez EA I didnt realize how f*cking strong you were man!! Crazy strength. How old are you and how long have you been lifting if you dont mind me asking... You really should put your poundages and all that here in your journal in a more structured format. Just constructive criticism. I think it would help make it easier for readers to view, thats all. Keep up the hard work EA!

Thanks for the kind words Monstar. Keep in mind though, that the old style squatting was only done to parallel depth. I've only recently gone below and that only for 225 lbs. Parallel is definitely my sticking point. It's much easier to move through a short ROM like parallel to standing than from standing to ATF or even a few inches below at parallel. Plus I was only able to do the one set. That "killed" me. At the time I just wanted to see what I was capable of doing.
I'm 32, about the same age as Mr. Mason. In March of 2003 I will have been lifting for 13 years. Nearly all my training so far has been focused on gaining strength, which is why the majority of my training was focused on the bench and squat and about three years ago I included the deadlift. Now that I've achieved the majority of my strength goals, I am now switching over to a more typical bodybuilding oriented program and focusing on gaining some mass. You are correct about the structure. I've been getting sloppy. I'll try to tighten it up.;)

MonStar
01-29-2003, 06:40 AM
Haha, 13 years huh? Damn man thats friggin' insane. Keep up the hard work. Did you ever compete powerlifting wise or otherwise? What was the highest that your bench got up to EA? Just curious because training for strength for so long seems Anyway good luck training for bodybuilding purposes man. Both are very enjoyable to me.

Songsangnim
01-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Haha, 13 years huh? Damn man thats friggin' insane. Keep up the hard work. Did you ever compete powerlifting wise or otherwise? What was the highest that your bench got up to EA? Just curious because training for strength for so long seems Anyway good luck training for bodybuilding purposes man. Both are very enjoyable to me.

No, I've never competed. I don't have the genetics for either, and I refuse to take steroids to shore up my weak points. If other people want to take them, that's their choice. It's just not my thing though. The highest my bench ever got to (bar to chest) was 6 reps at ( I think, not exactly sure) 255 pounds. That was a long time ago (back in the Stone Age ) ;) The highest my bench ever got to (bar paused three inches off the chest) was 330 for 6.8 :D (I failed just short of lockout in the seventh).
Yeah, 13 years is a long time. Well, as someone on this board said, you don't pick your addictions, your addictions pick you. Thanks for the support.

Franjipani
01-29-2003, 08:49 PM
Now that I've achieved the majority of my strength goals, I am now switching over to a more typical bodybuilding oriented program and focusing on gaining some mass.

Congrats on the 13yrs..that takes some serious dedication !! Its important that once you have nearly reached your goals...that you set some new ones to replace them which will keep you juiced and striving for more.... :D.

Perhaps you ought to consider that little cashflow opportunity you joked about the other day.....;).

Also, is your girlfriend interested in bodybuilding?

Songsangnim
01-29-2003, 09:01 PM
Yesterday was upper body day. BTW comments on the workout from now on will be placed at the bottom. Any comments will be signified by ^^

I am not sure what happened here. Throughout the workout I remained unable to focus. Probably due to having only 5 hours of sleep the night before.

Flat bench press: 220*6 + bodyweight*6, 220*6 + bodyweight*6
(superset with dips)^^

Lat pulldown: 135*8, 135*8, 135*6^^

Standing Dumbbell Bicep curl (assisted) 35*?, 35*?^^

Comments: Was only able to do two sets of supersets instead of my normal three. Energy levels were flagging badly.

Failed on the last set of lat pulldowns, again due to failing energy levels.

As for bicep curls I did them with one arm, until failure and then placed two fingers of the free hand under the working wrist and did assisted curls until no longer able to. I don't know how many reps. Just until the arm stopped moving in a full ROM. Probably about 15 I think.

PS. Any feedback on the structure would be appreciated. Better? Worse? Suggestions? Keep it simple please
:)

Songsangnim
02-01-2003, 12:45 AM
Saturday. No workout today.

It is the Chinese new year (solar) so I am on holiday from my school for three days. I am visiting Andong, one of the few traditional Korean towns still left. I feel rather conspicous here. Perhaps because I am the sole foreigner? Anyway next workout will be on the following Wednesday.

MonStar
02-01-2003, 05:12 AM
Good chest supersets EA, strength and all that is looking good. Gotta love supersets!

Songsangnim
02-02-2003, 09:08 AM
I agree. Supersets are perhaps my favourite training technique. I haven't done them consistently in a while though, because I wanted to try something new, but I think I will be getting back into them on a regular basis fairly soon.

MonStar
02-02-2003, 09:15 AM
Yeah I dont do them that much at all. They were always intense though. I dont do them only because I am always hitting 1RMs and thats pretty taxing on my nervous system. If I added supersets I think it would just be too much on my CNS.

Songsangnim
02-05-2003, 07:13 AM
Today was upper body day

Chest Press: 185*12, 200 *10 200*10

Dips: Bodyweight*8, Bodyweight*8, Bodyweight*6

Lat Pulldown: 135*10, 145*10, 145*8^^

Shoulder Press (machine): 75*10, 75*10^^

Bicep curls: 35*8, 35*8

Comments: The shoulder press machine in this gym felt quite unbalanced. I think I may try using free weights for this exercise again and see how it goes.

The last set of the lat pulldown was done to failure.

Songsangnim
02-09-2003, 08:09 AM
No workout Saturday.

My students invited me to attend their graduation celebrations. Oh well, there's always next Saturday.:D

Songsangnim
02-12-2003, 06:53 AM
Today was upper body day

Flat bench press: (supersetted with dips)^^

200*5 + Bodyweight*5
200*5 + Bodyweight*5
200*5 + Bodyweight*5

Lat Pulldown^^

110*8
110*8
110*8
110*8

Dumbell pullover^^

55*10
55*10

^^Changed from 6 to 5. It is easier to calculate :D

^^These were performed using a thumbless grip and with a "peak contraction" (as the Joe Weider boys like to claim) at the bottom of each rep.

^^ Haven't done these in a while, so went light on them. But figured they were a good way to finish off the workout as they hit both lats and chest.

Songsangnim
02-14-2003, 09:03 PM
Today was leg day:

I walked into the gym, and the first thing I noticed was that the power rack was gone. In its place was that invention of the devil, A SMITH MACHINE. Irritated, but deciding that a smith machine was better than nothing, I attempted a few abortive squats. Nothing doing. It just didn't feel right. Foot stance, bar positioning, the whole works... were well and truly off. Glumly I settled for leg extensions and curls.

After the leg work (which I'm not even going to record) I did grip work.

Deadlift

130*8 (static hold to failure)
140*8 (static hold to failure)
150*8 (static hold to failure)

Bicep curls

35*8
35*8
35*7

Comments: Maybe I'll have to join a second gym just to squat.

Robert
02-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Hey extreme,

I looked at a couple of your previous posts and noticed that you performed the deadlift with static holds. Well i think you did anyway. Sounds like a good idea. I've never thought of doing that before. Do a rep on the deadlift, hold for 10 secs, then lower and repeat. Sounds like tortore, ha,ha! Might give it a try some time.

Robert

Songsangnim
02-15-2003, 03:31 AM
Well, basically that is because I want to focus on my grip. I can pull over 300 lbs with straps, but far less raw. So I am doing them light in order to focus on form and grip. The main reason I am doing deadlifts instead of ordinary static holds, is so that I keep the neural pathways accustomed to doing the deadlifts, while at the same time strengthing grip. And yes it is torture. Far more exhausting then doing regular deadlifts.:D

Songsangnim
02-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Today was upper body day:

Supersets (Flat Bench&Dips): 200*5+bodyweight*5, 200*5+bodyweight*5, 200*5+bodyweight*5

Lat Pulldown: 110*10, 130*10, 130*10^^

Dumbell Pullover: 55*10, 55*8^^

^^ the lat pulldowns were done with a thumbless grip, fast positive, and slow negative.

^^my wrists began hurting on the seventh rep, so this exercise received an early cancelation.

MonStar
02-19-2003, 07:27 AM
Looks like an intense workout EA, keep up the hard work man.

Songsangnim
02-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Thanks MS, appreciate the support

Since intensive courses have ended, I have gone back to a more typical three day routine. Mon, Wed, and Fri. Today was the first day of the new routine. It was leg day. Since my hamstrings seem to be lagging behind my quads, I have decided to make up a new leg routine that uses pre-exhaustion as the key to stimulate growth.

Leg extension: 180*12, 180*12, 180*11^^

Leg press: 200*10, 200*10, 200*10, 200*8^^

Comments: The 180 was the full stack--all the weight the leg extension machine had. Reached failure on the 11 rep of the third set. Sets were done with 2 mins rest in between.

As for the leg press, failure came on the eighth rep of the four set. These were done with one min of rest (90 secs for the last) between sets.

I'll do this for legs for a while and see how they respond. Felt slightly sick to my stomach after the leg presses. May have to give a little more time in between?

Songsangnim
02-26-2003, 06:51 PM
Yesterday was Wednesday

Supersets (Flat Bench&Dips): 200*5, BW*5, 200*5, BW*5, 200*5, BW*5

Dumbbell Pullover: 45*10, 45*10, 45*10^^

Mindful of the wrist pain I experienced the last time with dumbbells, I lowered the weight for this exercise.

Songsangnim
02-28-2003, 03:20 AM
Today was back day.

The power rack has returned to my gym, so I decided now would be a good time to try regular deadlifts and see if the Belial deadlifts had done anything for my grip.

Deadlift: 230*8, 230*8, 230*8^^

Bicep dumbell curl: 35*8, 35*8

Comments: I was quite pleased with the way my grip has improved. Back in the pre-strap days, I could have only done four reps with that weight. Now even without straps I have doubled the number of reps. I will give up the Belial deadlifts as they tend to be hard on the lower back, and combining them with regular deadlifts might just be overkill. I will still employ static holds though and put them in after my regular back workout. So the moral of the story? LISTEN TO BELIAL! Could be...or could just be to do static holds.
:D

Franjipani
02-28-2003, 03:59 AM
So the moral of the story? LISTEN TO BELIAL! Could be...or could just be to do static holds.
:D

*lol*

Shhhhhh not so loud or he'll get a big head tuttut. I was about to ask you when are you going back to lifting more....but you already one step ahead of me I see...

How are things way over there???

Well done on your workout btw :thumbup:

Songsangnim
02-28-2003, 06:37 AM
Pretty well, Franjipani, thanks for asking. The intensive courses have come and gone, and now I'm back to teaching 28.5 classes a week. Pretty easy workload. I cut back in the gym due to the fact that I had 39 classes and was pulling 14 hour shifts (from 8 AM to 10 PM). Now my schedule is better (2-3 PM to 10 PM) which gives me more time to rest and workout.

Songsangnim
03-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Today was leg day.

After warming up with three light sets on the leg extension, I went straight to my work set weight.

Leg Extension: 180*12, 180*12^^

Leg press: 265*12, 265*12, 265*12, 265*10^^

Comments: 180 is the entire stack, no more weight available.

Midway through the last set on the leg press, my legs began to shake, and I was forced to stabilize them, by placing my hands on my thighs. The last four reps were done in this assisted fashion. These were done in rapid fashion, about 2 mins or so between sets and very deep, thighs to chest with every rep (except the last four). I can really feel these in my hamstrings as well as my quads. Pre-exhaustion will be a staple in my leg workout for some time to come.

Songsangnim
03-06-2003, 06:35 AM
Feeling quite strong today. Decided to try a different intensity technique.

Flat Bench Press: 220*5, 220*5^^
Dips: BW*5, BW*5
Machine Flyes: 115*10, 115*10

Dumbbell pullovers: 45*12, 45*12

The first three exercises were done as a triset. First one set of flat bench, followed immediately by dips, followed right after by flyes. Between trisets I took a rest of four minutes.

That was it.

Songsangnim
03-08-2003, 02:58 AM
Today was back day

Deadlifts: 270*5, 270*5, 270*5, 270*3^^

Lat Pulldown: 155*12, 155*12, 155*10^^

Comments: The weight on the deadlifts did not include the bar, (which was smaller than a regular Olympic bar) just the total of the weights on both ends. Tried for a fourth set of 5 and hit failure (grip) on the fourth rep. If I had straps I could have finished the set, but was happy nonetheless, as my grip has definitely improved. BTW these were done off the rack from about two inches below knee level. The only equipment used was a belt.

The lat pulldowns were done with a thumbless grip and down to chest.

I did not do static holds this workout, as I was pressed for time.

The "Power King" gang were at the gym today, and were observing me on deadlifts. Slightly annoying to be watched, but at least it provided motivation to get that bar up and to full lockout. ( I'd start later to avoid them, but time would be a problem. Earlier wouldn't work either.) After I was finished, and sitting on a bench resting, one of them came over and tapped me on the shoulder. Pointing to the bar he said "Power good" and gave me a thumbs-up gesture. I could only wonder what he would have thought of Belial, Chris Mason, or MonStar's deadlifts. Probably would have had a heart attack.:D

MonStar
03-08-2003, 07:02 AM
Nice deadlifts EA, looking good man. Really impressive. I dont think you should use straps either man, go with static holds. Theyll really build up your forearms and grip strength a lot more.

Songsangnim
03-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Yesterday was supposed to be leg day, but my lower back was still so beat up from deadlifts, I thought it wise to take an extra day off. I think it was the final set of deads that created the extra soreness. From now on, I will be doing no more than three work sets for deads maximum, and pyramid style.

Songsangnim
03-12-2003, 09:00 PM
Today was chest day.

After spending 3-4 minutes coaxing a three year old Korean girl off the bench I wanted to use, I got down to business. :mad:

Bench press: 200*5
Dip : BW*5
Pec Deck : 132*10

Three minute rest:

Bench Press: 200*5
Dip : BW*5
Pec Deck : 132*10^^

Three minute rest:

Dumbell Pullover: 45*12, 45*12, 45*12

Comments: These trisets really fried my chest and shoulders. Nice deep burn in both bodyparts.

Songsangnim
03-15-2003, 04:15 AM
Today was back day

Deadlifts: 265*5, 265*5, 265*5.^^

Lat pulldowns: 110*10, 110*10, 110*10^^

Static holds: 220 to failure, 220 to failure^^

Comments: The deadlifts felt hard, but not too hard. Could have handled more weight, but am still focusing on grip. As usual these were done with only a belt on. No other equipment

The pulldowns were done with a wide thumbless grip and with a slow negative (2 seconds down, 4 seconds up). Each rep was done with a hard contraction of the lats in the bottom position.

As for the static holds, I really don't know how long these were. I just held the weight until I was unable to any longer. If pressed to give an answer for time I would say anywhere from 30-40 seconds. Felt like an eternity though:D

I'm going to start timing the static holds soon. Just to see if I can notice improvement

Robert
03-15-2003, 04:54 AM
Thats a short back workout, really short. Do you always train this way? I'm not critisizing you just curious.

Robert

Songsangnim
03-15-2003, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Robert
Thats a short back workout, really short. Do you always train this way? I'm not critisizing you just curious.

Robert

Well, I don't include the warm-up. But yes, I always try to keep my workouts short. As my sig states it's all about intensity not duration. A half-hour of all out lifting with 100% intensity will give you better results than 3 hours at 50% intensity (if your goal is mass and strength). The main reason my workouts are so short is that EVERY set is done at 100% intensity. This allows for complete focus on the task at hand, and is the most efficient way to utilize energy and time. It's also incredibly draining. You can easily tip over into overtraining doing this, so have to be careful. This is another reason why I keep it short.

Songsangnim
03-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Was unable to log on to WWB for about three days, so will post two workouts in this one.

Leg Day:

Leg extension: 155*12, 155*12, 155*12

Leg Press: 265*12, 265*12, 265*12^^

Comments: Just for "fun" I decided to do

these with one minute rest in between. Almost blacked out when I stood up after the final set (I remained seated for all three sets throughout.)

Chest Day:

Bench Press : 200*5
Dip: BW*5
Pec Deck: 135*12

Three minute rest

Pec Deck: 135*12

Two minute rest

Pec Deck: 155*12

two minute rest

Dumbell pullover: 45*10, 45*10, 45*10^^

Comments: The last set of these were done very slowly, with the focus on contracting the chest as hard as possible.

Songsangnim
03-21-2003, 09:40 PM
Today was back day.

Deadlift: 220*15, 250*12, 270*10, 315*1 (PB)^^

Lat Pulldown: 110*15, 155*6, 155*6^^

Static Hold: 220*30 seconds, 220*56 seconds^^

Comments: The 315*1 was a PB...but a PB without straps
The 155*6 were done with a curl grip, just for variety's sake.
On the static holds, I was trying for 1 min on the second set, but couldn't quite make it. :redface: Then again, there's always next time.

Alex.V
03-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Congrats on the dead. Grip strength notably improving, then?

Songsangnim
03-22-2003, 12:45 AM
It's skyrocketing for some reason. I expected some improvement when I stopped using straps, but I didn't expect this much
progress and certainly not this fast. I've always had a hard time making gains, so I'd expected grip strength to be much the same. For some reason though grip seems to be getting stronger and stronger every time. I'm just 35 pounds away from my PB (with straps) on the deadlift.

Songsangnim
03-25-2003, 07:17 AM
Today was leg day.

Leg extension: 180*10, 180*10, 180*10

Leg press: 200*10, 200*10, 200*10, 200*10^^

Comments: These were done nice and deep, quite slow with maybe a 2 minute rest in between sets. As with the deadlifts this only includes the weights and not the sled (or bar for the deadlifts)

Songsangnim
03-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Today was chest day.^^

Pec Deck: 110*10

Pec Deck: 110*10

Bench Press: 220*5
Dip: BW*4.5
Pec Deck 110*10

Dumbell Pullover: 45*12, 45*12

Comments: Added a third tri-set due to higher than usual energy levels. Maybe due to greater than usual amount of sleep. (usual 5-6 hours, this time was about 8 hours.) Tri-sets were done with about three minutes of rest in between.

Songsangnim
03-28-2003, 11:07 PM
Today was back day:^^

Deadlift: 265*8, 315*0, 315*1, 265*5, 265*5, 265*5

Lat Pulldown: 135*8, 135*8, 135*8

Static hold: 220*30, 220*25

Comments: On the second set of deadlifts, 315 wouldn't move. I got mad, reset and lifted it, but it was more of an SLDL than a regular one. Legs were just too tired. So I dropped the weight and concentrated on form.
The lat pulldowns were nothing special. Thumbless grip, fast positive slow negative...yadda yadda.
The first static hold was fine, the second was aborted midway through, because my right hamstring begain cramping up. Since my body seemed like it had enough I decided to call it a day.
Still very tired from the previous chest day. Note to self: Get more sleep!

Songsangnim
04-01-2003, 06:16 AM
Today was leg day:

Leg extensions: 180*10, 180*10, 180*10

Leg press: 220*12, 220*12, 220*12^^

Comments: These were done super slow, maybe six seconds in between reps. These really hit my hams and glutes more than when leg presses were the first exercise in my routine. The pre-exhaustion seems to be working out really well. Quite happy overall.

Songsangnim
04-03-2003, 08:03 AM
Today was chest day

Pec Deck: 135*10

3 minute rest

Pec Deck: 135*10

3 minute rest

DB Pullover: 45*12, 45*12

That was it for chest. Since I have begun cutting now, I did not have the energy for any more.

Songsangnim
04-09-2003, 11:15 PM
After taking a week off I started up again today
Today was chest day

Bench Press: 220*6, 220*6, 220*6^^

Dip: BW*6, BW*6, BW*6^^

Dumbell pullovers. 55*10, 55*8^^

Comments. These were done to the chest (touch and go) The first set was easy, the second harder and the third difficult. A ninety second rest was taken in between each set.

4 minute rest

The dips were performed in the same manner, except that the positive was fast and the negative was slow.

As for the dumbell pullovers, my hand began to slip on the eighth rep of the second set so I completed the rep and finished the set on that rep. I don't like suspending a 55 pound dumbell over my face with an unsecure grip.
:) :mad:

Songsangnim
04-14-2003, 09:57 PM
Today was leg day.

Leg Extension 165*10, 165*10, 165*10

Leg Press: 200*12, 200*12, 200*12, 200*12

Standing Calf Raise (with a 45 lb DB in each hand) 90*20, 90*20, 90*20

That was it.

Songsangnim
04-17-2003, 07:52 AM
Today was chest day.

Bench Press: 220*5 + Dip: BW*5
220*5 + Dip: BW*5
220*5 + Dip: BW*5

Dumbbell Pullover: 55*10, 55*10

Tricep Pushdown: 110*8, 155*5^^

Comments: The first set was easy, the second one was brutal. (Just wanted to see what I could handle.)

Songsangnim
04-18-2003, 11:56 PM
Today was back day (I have missed the previous two)

Deadlift: 250*5, 315*1, 315*1, 315*0, 315*1^^

Bicep curl: 45*8, 45*8, 45*8^^

Comments: The miss on the third set of deadlifts provoked a s****** from a couple of middle-aged men riding the stationary bikes next to the power rack.

all right boys, all riiight I paused for a brief moment to rest, while building up a good head of steam. I bent down, grasped the bar, and up it came. :) I then paused in the lockout position for about 5-6 seconds, and then slowly replaced it.

The bicep curls were done nice and slow. No swinging, or body English. Just straight clean bicep power.

That was it. And oh yes, there were no more smirks or laughter from anyone in the gym after that static hold. Later I found I'd torn a couple callouses off my hands. That'll teach me to show off.

Songsangnim
04-22-2003, 08:05 AM
Today was leg day.

Leg extensions: 165*10, 165*10, 165*10, 165*10, 165*10

Leg curl: 90*10, 90*10, 90*10, 90*10, 90*10

That was it.

Just wanted to try something different for a change.

Songsangnim
04-24-2003, 08:36 AM
Chest day

Supersets
Flat bench 200*5, 200*5, 200*5
Dip BW*5, BW*5, BW*5

Comments: This was a garbage workout. I felt listless and drained even before stepping through the gym doors. Five hours sleep might be the contributing factor here. After the third superset, I gave up. It just wasn't going right.

Songsangnim
04-25-2003, 11:30 PM
Today was back day.

Deadlift: 315*1, 330*0, 315*1, 315*1^^

Static Hold: 220*63 seconds, 220*51 seconds

Lat Pulldown: 110*10, 110*10, 110*10

Comments: On the 330 it came up about 2 inches off the ground...then stalled out. On the final set of deadlifts, my back started to cave in from the pressure. I managed to lock out and then set it back down, but that last set was hard . I think I will be lowering the weight and performing 5 sets of 5 for the deadlift. My grip was not much of a problem here, it now seems to be the lower back. So time to work on conditioning that.

Songsangnim
04-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Leg day

Leg extension: 155*10, 155*10, 155*10

Leg Press: 200*12, 220*10, 220*10, 220*10

That was it. Sometimes I hate it when I'm cutting. My energy and strength have turned to "girly-man" levels and my irritability has increased. Today I sent about five kids out of class. On the other hand, they've been asking for it for some time now.

Songsangnim
05-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Today was chest day.

Today I decided to "borrow" a technique Arnold used for chins, only I decided to use it for my chest. Arnold pointed out that at times (when he was bulking) he found it hard to do full sets of 10 reps each doing chins. So what he did would be to count reps, not sets and go until he hit 50 or so. So I decided to try that for dips.

Dip: BW*10, BW*10, BW*10, BW*10, BW*6, BW*4^^

Pullover: 55*10

Comments: The first three went okay, the fourth was quite hard, the fifth and sixth were brutal. These were done with about 2 minutes of rest between sets. Each one was done deep, lowering until midchest was level with hands, then locking out at the top.

GhettoSmurf
05-01-2003, 09:36 AM
nice job with the dips

Songsangnim
05-02-2003, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm feeling it today though. VERY sore throughout the entire upper body.

Songsangnim
05-03-2003, 02:37 AM
No workout today. Still extremely sore in the delts, traps, pecs, triceps, and even lats.

Songsangnim
05-10-2003, 06:34 AM
Today was back day.

Deadlifts: 270*1, 270*1, 270*1, 270*1, 270*1, 270*1, 270*1, 270*1^^

Lat Pulldowns. 110*10, 110*10, 110*10, 110*10

Comments: I did these on a power rack with the pins set about 2 inches below knee level. I generally prefer the bar on the ground, but it seems that the sticking point in my deadlifts is the middle of the motion. About two inches below my knees to about the same distance above. That's where I stall out. I have a good initial drive off the floor and can lockout 350 if I get it above the sticking point. However those few inches in the middle seem to be the weak point. So I am starting there and going to lockout with these, in order to try and get past that.

Songsangnim
05-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Chest day

Dips: BW*10, BW*9, BW*9, BW*8, BW*8, BW*6

And that was it.

Songsangnim
05-17-2003, 03:30 AM
Back day

Deadlift: 270*3, 285*1, 285*1, 295*1, 295*1, 295*1^^

Lat Pulldown: 155*8, 155*8, 155*6^^

Comments: What a difference a decent night's sleep makes. Got seven hours in the sack, instead of my usual 5-6. The deadlifts were done in the rack, to work on my weak link in this movement.
I have decided to shelf the static holds for the time being. Grip is not the problem now, but the lower back. That will be the focus for now. Once I am able to do 5-6 sets of 315 for singles, then it may be time to rotate the grip work back in. For now 8 sets or so of heavy deadlifts should be enough to maintain grip strength. Also the static holds kill my grip for the lat pulldowns. Note the difference in weight between the workouts with static holds and without. Something like 20 kilos.

temps
10-29-2006, 01:11 AM
sad to see you have updated in a few years. but I like how you really were doing 20 rep squats from the beginning. These are a killer!