PDA

View Full Version : Wheat Bran - A smart choice?

06-03-2001, 03:27 PM
I've decided to supplement my diet with wheat bran since I'm probably a bit deficient in fiber from carb restriction. Is wheat bran the best choice while on a cutting diet?

Here is its breakdown per serving.
per 9g (3tbsp) serving:
Calories - 19cal
Protein - 1.5g
Fat - 0.5g
Carbs - 5.3g
Fiber - 4.4g

Now, when recording this nutrient breakdown in my journal, do I include the exact figures above or do I record .9g of carbs (carbs-fiber) instead of 5.3g? Thanks.

the doc
06-03-2001, 05:11 PM
as fibre is undigestable, but still a carbohydrate, you would subtract therefore having .9g of "accessable" or "active" carbs

06-03-2001, 06:17 PM
Would the serving still contain 19 calories or would that be lowered to 14cal?

I know it doesn't make much difference but I would like to know either way.

06-04-2001, 07:36 AM
One other thing. Does anyone see a problem with cooking a serving of all-natural wheat bran in a serving of oatmeal?
I tried it this morning and it is the only way I've found that doesn't choke my throat.

Alex.V
06-04-2001, 08:13 AM
I eat a big tablespoon of the stuff every morning. It's great for fiber supplementation. It might actually go well with the oatmeal since the extra fiber will slow digestion.... I wouldn't worry about the extra 5 calories, just put down what they labeled on the jar. (Rounding off explains the discrepancy)

Anyway, yeah, definitely a good addition to your diet. Got some good vitz and minerals in it, too.

mds_79
06-05-2001, 12:00 PM
bran is awesome. it will make u pooh like a king. i eat big bowls of bran and milk for breakfast almost daily. ummm branlicious!