PDA

View Full Version : vegetarian-bodybuilding

nero
08-29-2002, 08:08 AM
I seriously doubt if a vegetarian can get the required amount of protien and cals.I have a vegetarian friend who works out 5 times a week
his pattern is like this
monday
4sets of flat bench press
4 sets of incline and 4sets decline press
2 sets of flies
2 sets of pullover
tuesday
works out his back
4sets of the usual back exercise
wednesday
shoulders -3 sets of the usual exercise
thursday
arms- bis and tris
friday
legs
sat and sun rest
the above pattern seems alright over looking the fact that there are no rest days in between.But the main rub comes with his diet.
god!he hardly eats anything.His daily meals are as follows
8 am a cup of tea with a few biscuits
10 am 2 idilis(some indian dish)
12 noon a loaf of bread
2 pm 3 chappatis(again some indian stuff) with some gravy
5 pm workout
7 pm a cup of tea
9 pm 3 chappatis(again some indian stuff) with some gravy
(no protien shakes)
this all this guy eats.I tried to explain to him that he hardly gets even 1 tenth of the needed protien.but he wont listen.I have insisted him to read some of your suggestion.I have suggested him protien bars and shakes.May be u guys could help him with his diet.

Stray
08-29-2002, 09:45 AM
Is he strictly Vegan? Does he eat cheese and milk products?If so then problem solved..just supplement with protein supps and skim milk...if not then he may need to start scarfing some soy protein products.

galileo
08-29-2002, 11:01 AM
What kind of gravy?

raniali
08-29-2002, 03:00 PM
if he is a vegan - as are most hindis - he can at least try to eat a variety of legumes and vegatables....beans/corn/bulgar/peanut butter ... all have a significant protein content and its best if they are mixed for optimal amino acid profiles

LAM
08-29-2002, 03:12 PM
one of the problems with the vegeterian diet is the poor PUR of plant proteins. You have to eat significanly higher amounts (3-4x) of protein to get the same nutritional value as animal proteins.

Blood&Iron
08-29-2002, 03:46 PM
Bill Pearl did okay for himself.

LAM
08-29-2002, 03:52 PM
Bill Pearl surely wasn't the "average" vegetarian weight trainer...he's not really a good example

Fuel
08-30-2002, 11:55 PM
what does this guy look like, in terms of size/strength and all that?

LAM
08-31-2002, 12:14 AM
Bill Pearl (http://www.classicbodybuilders.com/classicbodybuilderbillpearl.html)

When pros are used as an example for lifiting/exericises/diet etc. it usually doesn't hold true for the average joe as they are not the norm...

nero
08-31-2002, 09:05 AM
well this guy is 22%bf about 56 kg of lean mass and about 80 kg in weight you could say that he is slightly stronger than an average person.About the stuff he can have ...........he does include skimmed milk in his diet but stays away from eggs.
In my opinion there is no way this chap can get enuff protien from vegies .vegitables have very low amounts of protien,except soya and legumes.but how much soya and legumes can a person eat without getting sick of it.more over the quality of protien in vegies is low.And als soya has about 40% protien and about 37% fat. This chap has to take supplements (and believe me lots of it) if he has to get enuff protien.