PDA

View Full Version : 3 whole eggs...3 egg white....too much?

Tank23
09-01-2002, 06:43 AM
I have 3 whole eggs, and 3 egg whites fried in olive oil every morning for breakfast. Am I eating too many egg yolks? I don't wanna get clogged arteries or whatever.

Puttn
09-01-2002, 07:46 AM
it depends on your cholesterol levels really however i prefer egg beaters over eggs anyway... but i dont think 3 whole eggs is too much, i eat 8 eggs in my omelets but again there egg beaters so id see how your cholesterol is before eating the eggs

LAM
09-01-2002, 09:18 AM
You should be fine with that. Although I hope you don't cook with the olive oil on high heat. Omega 3's are very heat sensistive...

Flyersfan
09-01-2002, 12:14 PM
LAM - please elaborate. I'm not doubting your statement, just looking for more info. I put the dial a notch above medium on an electric stove to heat up the olive oil. The eggs make a satisfying sizzling sound for a second or two, and it's all cooked & ready to go in a couple minutes.

LAM
09-01-2002, 12:27 PM
Basically intense heat destroys Omega 3 (alpha-linolenic acid) and 6 (linoleic acid) and even worse it creates more free radicals.

The best method of using EFA's is to cook the food items first then add in the oils once the items are removed from the heat source...

You can do a Interent search on the topic there is tons of information about how sensitive Omega's are to heat and light...

Shmoo
09-01-2002, 03:05 PM
Use a cooking spray like pam for your eggs and swallow your EFA`s off a spoon.

duque21
09-01-2002, 08:22 PM
Now thats a lot of calories, but its not too much, but if I were gonna to take in that much at one time I would do it post work out.

Tank23
09-01-2002, 11:17 PM
so it's not too much then?
I'm 18 years old...so i don't think i have a cholesterol problem. I just want to make sure it's not overdoing it.

What are egg beaters?

UCDFuBoO
09-02-2002, 01:54 AM
i personally think 3 whole eggs a day... 7 days a week is pretty risky... that's 21 whole eggs.... but that's just my opinion.. i dont' really have any evidence to support it but i think the normal rule is one whole egg per every 3 eggs....

YatesNightBlade
09-02-2002, 04:15 AM
alot of research shows no link between dietry cholesterol and body cholesterol

Tank23
09-02-2002, 06:03 AM
ok...so i have some saying too much...and i have some saying the eggs won't affect my body cholesterol. Which one is it eh?

-Tank

YatesNightBlade
09-02-2002, 06:07 AM
It's won't effect it at all. Too much satty fats will. Enjoy your eggs, best source of protein.

Tryska
09-02-2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by LAM
You should be fine with that. Although I hope you don't cook with the olive oil on high heat. Omega 3's are very heat sensistive...

erm....olive oil contains omega 6s and 9s and if you must fry, it's the best oil to use. it has a high smoking point which is what you want in an oil. you wouldn't cook anything omega 3 oils at all since they are so sensitive to heat.

Flyersfan
09-02-2002, 08:48 AM
Per LAM's suggestion, I did some research. While I didn't find any medical journal entries, I did find plenty of articles on nutrition and health sites. They all agree that olive oil is the most stable oil when subjected to heat.
As Tryska said, as long as your oil isn't smoking, it is the best choice for a cooking oil. And the better the oil (extra-virgin), the more antioxidants.

09-02-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Tryska

erm....olive oil contains omega 6s and 9s and if you must fry, it's the best oil to use. it has a high smoking point which is what you want in an oil. you wouldn't cook anything omega 3 oils at all since they are so sensitive to heat.

:withstupi olive oil doesn't have any omega 3 fatty acids.

and one day last week I had 16 egg whites and 6 whole eggs and I'm dieting. :D

LAM
09-02-2002, 09:48 AM
Notice I said the "best method" not the "only method"....:D

duque21
09-02-2002, 09:58 AM
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!, Ding Ding, there they go folks and "LAM" throws the first punch, and "AVATAR" comes back with a hook.......

09-02-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by duque21
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!, Ding Ding, there they go folks and "LAM" throws the first punch, and "AVATAR" comes back with a hook.......

hehe no I was just stating a fact so no one gets confused.

I'm sure there are trace omega 3 in olive oil but nothing to get excited about. Olive oil is known for its 6 and 9s and isn't bad at all to cook with.

However, LAM is correct in that omega-3s shouldn't be heated so never use Udo's or Flax oil as a cooking oil.

Shao-LiN
09-02-2002, 10:47 AM
Eh, I use pam (olive oil) to keep the food from sticking. There's almost no point in adding it afterwards, hehe.

i think the normal rule is one whole egg per every 3 eggs....

Can you elaborate on that...it, for some reason, does not make sense to me...unless you mean one whole egg every 3 days.

Either way, I eat 3 whole eggs a day maybe 6 days out of the week. My cholesterol is within perfect levels last I went to the doctor.

body
09-02-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by LAM
Basically intense heat destroys Omega 3 (alpha-linolenic acid) and 6 (linoleic acid) and even worse it creates more free radicals.

The best method of using EFA's is to cook the food items first then add in the oils once the items are removed from the heat source...

You can do a Interent search on the topic there is tons of information about how sensitive Omega's are to heat and light...

regardless of wether they have omega-3's and EFA's in there.

you fry a egg in about 2-4 minutes? this is very quick and should not cause to much degeneration of the fat.

the problem comes more in fat in the food industry.
In the food industry commerical frier. the fat will be at frying temp for like couple of hours at least. this is when fatty acid degeneration will occur and the problems start.

or you go to a cafe, resturatnt where they fry food in a deep fat frier. they will like change the oil once a week. so agian the oil has been at frying temps for like 60 hours in the week.

You can see the colour of the fat change and it goes slighlty more solid looking, plus it soildifies at higher temps.

compare this to 2-4 minutes of frying a egg. the problem is a lot less.

plus if you start to smoke etc. then a problem is occuring, but this is to hot to fry the food so should be avoided anyway.

Jane
09-02-2002, 07:11 PM
Tank--I think you can keep doing what you're doing and be just fine. Next time you're at the doctors for a checkup, just get them to make sure your lipid profile is healthy, and your fears will be quelled.

the doc
09-02-2002, 07:19 PM
as long as the egg isn't getting brown and crusty you should be ok.

Tank23
09-02-2002, 11:34 PM
Jane!! Thanks alot....that's all I needed to hear. I'll keep eating my eggs everyday just like that then, and like you said, next time i'm at the doc's i'll get a blood test to check my cholesterol levels.

Thanks everyone for your input. Problem Solved!

-Tank