PDA

View Full Version : Protein Question

ryan1117
09-01-2002, 10:39 PM
I was looking over the nutrition info of some precut chicken breasts I bought today. I was sort of shocked to see how much protein was in just one chicken breast (34g) Now, I knew chicken was loaded with protein but I thought it was maybe 20g. Anyways, here is my question. Is 34g of protein from chicken lesser quality than 34g of whey protein or is all protein the same?

Feckless
09-01-2002, 11:07 PM
Do a search for "chicken breast" on the USDA nutritional info site (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl?chicken+breast), and you'll find their measurements, in grams, of the amount of each amino acid in a given amount of meat.

You can compare that data to that printed on your tub o' whey powder, to see how it measures up.

LAM
09-01-2002, 11:12 PM
Whey protein has a much higher protein utilization rate. Which means after digestion more amino acids are delivered to the bloodstream from whey than chicken. Whey is around 95% where as meat/poultry is around 70%

duque21
09-02-2002, 10:33 AM
Solids are great cause they take longer to break down, you get get a constant flow in your blood, try to get sloids towards the end of the day before you go to bed

YatesNightBlade
09-03-2002, 02:52 AM
Whey is too fast acting to be used at any other time, other then post workout. (although there are exceptions)

Ti1301
09-04-2002, 02:15 AM
What are the benefits f whey protein?
I went shopping at GNC today and I noticed that my weight gainer has more protein than the whey protein if not the same amount.
The weight gainer also offers much more in vitamins and minerals, so why pay the same amount for whey when I can get the same amount of protein and more with weight gainer?
Esepcially since the weight gainer is so low fat

duque21
09-04-2002, 01:55 PM
I bet you the whey, has Way more servings and doest have a bunch of sugars and carbs, I get pure whey cuaseit alows me to get as much protein I want and i am commited to taking all the other shyt in gainers when all i want is the protein.

TreeTrunks
09-04-2002, 02:08 PM
Ti, compare your weight gainers carbs to the carbs in protein powder. Thats the difference. Weight gainer has a crap load of carbs, i've seen some that have like 400 grams of carbs per serving with 50 granms of protein something like 1000 calories a serving. Of course one serving is like a cup and a half of powder.