PDA

View Full Version : What causes sweet cravings?

BennettBoy
09-03-2002, 07:01 AM
OK, this probably should have been in Diet and Nutrition, but I figured more would see it here. Feel free to move it if it needs moving.

I am not big into sweets. I never go down the isle of the cookie/candy section of the grocery store and my roommate has sweets in the house that don't even bother me. I never think about them 99% of the time.

BUT, the past 2 days I have just been craving sweets for some reason. Sunday night I gave in and went and bought 2 scoops of icecream from Baskin N Robbins. Then last night about 9:30 I just couldn't resist this huge moonpie sitting in the cabinet. Now I feel quilty because I ate the crap LOL.

Am I not getting something I need that is causing the cravings all the sudden? Could I do something to help me pass them over....or should I just eat them and be done with it and move on?

:help:

YatesNightBlade
09-03-2002, 07:11 AM
Eat more carbs. Your Blood sugar could be very low during your craving and your bodies telling you it needs carbs.

I've moved the thread btw, but ive left a re-direct thread so people see it. :)

BennettBoy
09-03-2002, 08:57 AM
Saturday I was at a football game. Here is what I had:

5:30 a.m.: Optimum Choc. MRP
7:30 a.m.: Egg McMuffin sand.
9:30 a.m.: EAS protein bar
12:00 p.m.: 6 oz. grilled chicken breast
2:30 p.m.: EAS protein bar
5:00 p.m.: 6 oz. grilled chicken breast
10:00 p.m.: EAS protein bar
2:00 a.m.: ham/cheese sand. on white bread

Sunday here is what I had:

9:30 a.m.: Optimum Choc. MRP
11:00 a.m.: 6 oz. lean hamburger patty
12:30 p.m.: 5 slices turkey deli meat
2:30 p.m.: Optimum Choc. MRP
5:30 p.m.: 7 oz. fillet, veggies, rice a roni
8:00 p.m.: 2 scoops cookies n cream icecream

Monday was this:

Meal 1 @ 8:30 a.m.: Optimum Choc. MRP
Meal 2 @ 9:30 a.m.: 6 oz. fillet, mixed veggies, rice
Meal 3 @ 12:30 p.m.: 40 grams whey, 10 grams AST HST creatine
Meal 4 @ 2:00 p.m.: 6 oz. grilled chicken, rice, mixed veggies
Meal 5 @ 4:30 p.m.: 4 slices turkey meat on pita bread
Meal 6 @ 6:30 p.m.: Optimum Choc. MRP
Meal 7 @ 8:00 p.m.: 5 oz. grilled chicken breast
Meal 8 @ 10:30 p.m.: Optimum Choc. MRP, 1 large moonpie

I dunno...looking this over maybe I am not getting enough carbs. I usually don't shy away from carbs or fat, but since I was out of town Saturday I ate mostly just bars and chicken breasts and didn't really get too many carbs Sunday or Monday.

Thoughts?

Tryska
09-03-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by YatesNightBlade
Eat more carbs. Your Blood sugar could be very low during your craving and your bodies telling you it needs carbs.

word...it's actually a serotonin low. you might could try 5-htp to curb the actual sugar craving itself, and try to eat more complex carbs and veggies, and ermm..cut out the egg mcmuffin (do you ahve any idea the amount of simple sugar int hat thing?), the white bread (more sugar), the rice-a-roni (rice in itself isn't as bad, but there is sugar int he seasoning).

high sugar intake begets sugar cravings a few hours later, it's because of the serotonin release and then crash. no different from an addiction to any other white powder.

Jane
09-03-2002, 02:48 PM
yup, and expect to have a couple days of fighting cravings post moonpie. As Tryska said, sugar makes you want more sugar.