PDA

View Full Version : Best food for in the college dorm?

AdamGberg
09-03-2002, 11:40 AM
my stock pile of a dozen bananas doesn't hold up too well just sitting on the counter, they seem to last a week at best. i also have peanut butter and jelly and tuna (makes the room smell). any other food that is good and easy to make/store i should get?

GuitarPlayer
09-03-2002, 12:01 PM
100% oatmeal, microwaved - easy, tasty, versatile, quick, cheap - even more so than my ex girlfriend

Relentless
09-03-2002, 12:05 PM
whey protein powder (just add water)

you can also usually rent mini-fridges for dorm rooms... then you can store your flaxseed oil, fruits, etc, etc.

Stray
09-03-2002, 12:23 PM
A keg fridge disguised as a nightstand

oh and a George Formans grill.

AdamGberg
09-03-2002, 12:23 PM
i have heard people mention flaxseed oil...can someone elaborate on its use and what exactly it is. thanks

Relentless
09-03-2002, 12:32 PM
it's a good source of EFAs look it up; you have a web browser. :)

TreeTrunks
09-03-2002, 12:58 PM
In my dorm I got in my fridge I got 8 chicken breasts, 2 lean beef patties, skim milk, cottage cheese, 5 lbs bag of apples, diet coke, water, brocolli, mustard, deli mustard, mayo low fat, and some natty PB. Also had a tub of protein powder and a box of 42 MRP's, brown rice, oatmeal, tuna, rasiens, wheat sub rolls, and wheat bread oh yeah and some protein bars.

Thats some pretty good food i guess it all keeps. I cook all the meat at home and bring it back, in a cooler of course. just have a microwave and frdge and your set.

Ti1301
09-04-2002, 02:13 AM
Dam I loved dorm cafeteria.
A buffet at every meal.
Really allowed me to gain weight eating like crazy.
It was nice to be able to just junk crapy tasting food without feeling the guilt like junking food at home.

nightop
09-04-2002, 02:15 PM
Last year when I was at a different school, I kept most of what you said in my dorm fridge/closet and boy did my room smell like tuna and sardines... lol, you get used to it though :) I ate two meals of the day in the cafeteria and ate as much as I could while keeping my general macronutrient ratio's in mind...

AdamGberg
09-04-2002, 09:22 PM
what about for breakfast? like those ceral bars or anything quick on the go for the morning? thanx...

nightop
09-04-2002, 11:36 PM
Nutragrain bars are nice and easy but don't really have enough carbs for my bulking diet... they might be fine for you though, I don't know what your doing diet wise specifically right now... They also don't have hardly any worthwhile protein in them so you might want to just quick mix a shake with like 25-30 grams of protein and take that with the cereal bar..... My problem is that I'm not hungry in the morning and don't feel like preparing food to eat... I read that a glass or two of ice cold water before breakfast will help your system get going and make eating easier...

LAM
09-05-2002, 12:02 AM
oatmeal, minute rice, instant potatoes, tuna, natty pb, protein powders

goobermor
09-05-2002, 12:36 AM
id add eggs, almonds, and turkey breasts (EASY to cook...5 mins each side, and boom! =p)

zackdarnell
09-05-2002, 07:54 AM
Im living in a dorm and ive got the following foods:
Oatmeal
Whey protein
Canned Vegetables
WW Bread
Chicken Breasts
Tuna
Salmon filets
Lean steaks
Oat bran
Eggs
Egg Beaters
Sugar Free Jello
Fat Free yogurt
Skim milk
Natural PM
Nuts
Cottage Cheese
Protein bars

Needless to say, ive got a mini fridge/freezer.

AdamGberg
09-05-2002, 10:05 AM
damn zack you are set...my fridge is damn small and is shared with a roomate...like one of those min-fridges in a hotel. thanx for all the ideas.
shopping list so far...
gonna go get 100% whey proteing
more cans of tuna (smells, but good)
gallon jugs of H20
oatmeal
ww bread
canned fruit
100% oatmeal
and some crucny peanut butter (so good....)

thanx for your guys help

zackdarnell
09-05-2002, 10:25 PM
My fridge is small too, i just cram everything in. it also has a fairly good sized freezer.

And i meant to say Natural PB, not PM.

AdamGberg
09-06-2002, 12:31 AM
thanx zack i got the idea...publix has just taken my beer money...thanx for your help