PDA

View Full Version : Tasty ways to make protein shakes..

futureshock
09-03-2002, 07:51 PM
I bought some EAS whey powder, and it suggests mixing with skim milk or water....Ive been forcing this down for a few weeks now, but was wondering if anyone knows of a tastier yet still effective way of taking the supplement.

Also, would be curious to know peoples past experiences with whey proteins.....ie results, side effects, etc

Thanks!

Frozenmoses
09-03-2002, 08:13 PM
I usually blend my whey with a banana, ice, and a cup or so of skim milk. It beats the hell out of mixing it with water and it's pretty damn tasty.

FuriousFerret
09-03-2002, 08:21 PM
Go to target and get an Ice Shaver. put shaved ice in a shake with some milk and you got a mmm good shake.

Darcy Tucker
09-03-2002, 08:31 PM
I've hated every whey I've bought except Designer's chocolate. I just mix it with skim milk and it's pretty good.

TreeTrunks
09-03-2002, 08:49 PM
side effectsof protein powder? increased muscle mass and fat loss in the wallet area.

SkinnyPupp
09-04-2002, 01:27 AM
Add a very ripe banana.. MMMMM!

Savannah
09-04-2002, 04:02 AM
I'm thinking it's a tad expensive, but what I've been doing lately now that I'm having 2-3 shakes a day, is mixing different comboinations of protein powders together.
This way it keeps the flavour interesting. For example, I'll take like 1/2 scoops of 3 different powders and mix it all up into one shake.
So far the 2 best ones I've come up with are:
Whey gourmet choc peanut butter with protein delite banana.
Strawberry zero carb isopure with portein delite lemon cheesecake.

I'd go nuts if i had to drink the same plain shake 3 times a day , everyday day.

Pineapple Devil
09-04-2002, 05:38 AM
just mix it like it says and quit complaining. it takes me about 4 seconds to drink my protein shake. 8oz of milk or water isnt alot. just down it and get it over with.

Jilla82
09-04-2002, 01:41 PM
just wondering, are protein shakes good for anything else? because I cant stand them!! would it be the same thing if I just ate a can of tuna instead of a protein shake?

nightop
09-04-2002, 01:59 PM
the bioavailability and the rate of absorbtion differs among the different sources of protein. For instance, casienates (milk, etc..) have a lower bioavailablity and a slower (longer lasting) rate of absorbtion/release than most wheys (isolates)... tuna is going to be a slower protein and will have a different amino acid profile than whey protein... its all about what meal you are talking about... for breakfast and pre and post workout, you want a quickly absorbed and high bioavailability protein such as most forms of whey... for all other meals and especially before bed you want a slower release protein like animal protein/casienate(milk)/fish/etc...

www.proteinfactory.com read read read.

also... got this saved from somewhere.. sorry i can't tell u who wrote it...cuz i don't know.

"12oz Skim Milk
1 cup LOW FAT Vanilla Ice cream
1 Banana
1 Tbsp Honey
2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
2-3 Scoops of Whey Protien Powder

Mix the milk and ice cream in a blender, until smooth. Then, add in banana, honey, peanut butter, and whey. Mix at a low speed for 30 seconds, and ENJOY.

750 calories, 50-70grams of Protein(depending on how much whey you add) and 20g of fat, and 90g of Carbs."

Jilla82
09-04-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by nightop
the bioavailability and the rate of absorbtion differs among the different sources of protein. For instance, casienates (milk, etc..) have a lower bioavailablity and a slower (longer lasting) rate of absorbtion/release than most wheys (isolates)... tuna is going to be a slower protein and will have a different amino acid profile than whey protein... its all about what meal you are talking about... for breakfast and pre and post workout, you want a quickly absorbed and high bioavailability protein such as most forms of whey... for all other meals and especially before bed you want a slower release protein like animal protein/casienate(milk)/fish/etc...

www.proteinfactory.com read read read.

also... got this saved from somewhere.. sorry i can't tell u who wrote it...cuz i don't know.

"12oz Skim Milk
1 cup LOW FAT Vanilla Ice cream
1 Banana
1 Tbsp Honey
2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
2-3 Scoops of Whey Protien Powder

Mix the milk and ice cream in a blender, until smooth. Then, add in banana, honey, peanut butter, and whey. Mix at a low speed for 30 seconds, and ENJOY.

750 calories, 50-70grams of Protein(depending on how much whey you add) and 20g of fat, and 90g of Carbs." ehhh, guess I have to buckle down and buy the stuff :cry:

It takes me about 40min to get home from the gym, is that fast enough for a post workout shake?

nightop
09-04-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Jilla82
ehhh, guess I have to buckle down and buy the stuff :cry:

It takes me about 40min to get home from the gym, is that fast enough for a post workout shake?

I'm no expert, but IMO, 40 mins is too long to go without a post workout meal... your cortisol levels will be high and your glycogen low (not good for muscles to put it lightly). If I were you, I would mix a shake and take it to the gym with you or I would just drink or eat a source of carbs (like 50 grams worth) on the way home and then have your protein with some more carbs when you actually get home if that is easier... the carbs alone method won't give you as big a insulin spike as would carbs and protein together, but the carbs will restore glycogen and be good enough until you get home for the protein... don't worry too much either way.

AdamGberg
09-04-2002, 09:50 PM
eat a banana on the way home from the gym...then make your shake when u get home

LAM
09-04-2002, 11:53 PM
ditto to nightop...you want to get that in you ASAP after a weight training session.

Jilla82
09-05-2002, 07:26 AM
thanx for the advice. I workout at my school gym so im in class all day before I hit the gym. I guess ill find something to eat on the way home. I have to stop at gnc and buy some whey too

nightop
09-05-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Jilla82
thanx for the advice. I workout at my school gym so im in class all day before I hit the gym. I guess ill find something to eat on the way home. I have to stop at gnc and buy some whey too

unless u work there, why waste your money... buy online, GNC sux IMO :D

Relentless
09-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Savannah
I'm thinking it's a tad expensive, but what I've been doing lately now that I'm having 2-3 shakes a day, is mixing different comboinations of protein powders together.
This way it keeps the flavour interesting. For example, I'll take like 1/2 scoops of 3 different powders and mix it all up into one shake.
So far the 2 best ones I've come up with are:
Whey gourmet choc peanut butter with protein delite banana.
Strawberry zero carb isopure with portein delite lemon cheesecake.

I'd go nuts if i had to drink the same plain shake 3 times a day , everyday day.

You should have your own 'cooking' show on the Food Network.

Jilla82
09-05-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by nightop

unless u work there, why waste your money... buy online, GNC sux IMO :D aww man. I wish I saw this earlyer. I just bought some Designer Whey (descent stuff) from GNC.

Where do you all buy online?

MWB
09-05-2002, 06:03 PM
www.dpsnutrition.com or www.netrition.com are both great.

nightop
09-05-2002, 08:34 PM
www.proteinfactory.com (best IMO) and www.allsportsnutrion.com (rarely).

DaCypher
09-06-2002, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the allsportsnutrition.com link, they're pretty cheap. I also like www.esupp.net. Good prices and customer service...

hemants
09-06-2002, 02:26 PM
natural peanut butter and/or 1 minute oatmeal give protein shakes a great taste

TreeTrunks
09-06-2002, 02:46 PM
DaCypher, thanks for the link to that supplement shop!!! They got some great prices!!!!!!!! thanks bud!

Savannah
09-06-2002, 04:59 PM
LOL@ your avatar Treetrunks!