PDA

View Full Version : On the Realization of Mortality:

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

_-_v_-_
09-04-2002, 07:40 PM
PURPOSE OF JOURNAL:

To force myself to recognize those tendencies, conscious or not, which tend to undermine my success, my health, and my enjoyment of life; to provide both the evidence and inspiration necessary to abjure said tendencies and replace them with positive habits; to record miscellaneous thoughts and insipid ramblings which I may later find of use (highly doubtful, given the quality of my work); and, ultimately, to document the processes by which I will attempt to maximize my existence, however transitory and precarious it may be.

In other words, this journal will likely include the following:

Pathetic attempts to attract desirable women
Half-hearted efforts to increase caloric intake and gain muscle mass
Workouts that impress only the local curl jockeys
And, most importantly, endless self-pity and frustration.

All of which means I should probably fit in pretty well here :).

FORMAT OF JOURNAL:

Assuming I have both sufficient time and desire, each journal entry should generally comprise the following sections:

Diet
Lifting
Writing
Reading
Life

That's about it for today's update. I hate to leave you all in breathless anticipation of the first exciting entry in the endlessly-thrilling life of V, but, well, I've got no choice. The crowbar calls.

Tryska
09-04-2002, 08:01 PM
can we do a little more then a half-hearted attempt at eating more calories?

hey uess what i learned that's been really working wonders for me?

eating "around the clock" ie 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm.

it sounds simple but you wouldn't believe how much easier it's made it for me to eat every 3 hours. i've been doing goood for like 3 months now. :)

_-_v_-_
09-04-2002, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the input, Tryska.

It's not that I lack an eating schedule; instead, it's that I am fixed upon a schedule and diet (have been, in fact, for months), and that it is quite difficult for me to change.

That said, I have been making ameliorative efforts lately, small ones, but improvements nonetheless. Much thanks to Belial for his help on this subject.

And I do realize that in this post I have manifested several aspects of disordered eating. It is a lingering side-effect, I believe, of recently conquered depression. At least, I hope it was predicated upon depression, and not the causative factor of the latter...

Don't know. Hope not to find out.

Thanks again.

Tryska
09-05-2002, 04:49 AM
well good luck then man. we're here for ya :)

_-_v_-_
09-06-2002, 03:02 PM
09-06-02:

Lifting:

Chins: (Light pulldowns for warmup) 45 X 5; 50 X 3; 35 X 5

Felt quite nice. Last rep on each of the last two sets was taken VERY slowly and followed by a VERY long negative. Ouch.

Deadlifts: 155 X 6; 225 X 4; 265 X 4; 295 X 4; 295 X 2

Took it a bit lighter on each of the heavy sets. Have to be very careful with my posterior chain.

Finished with bilateral machine rows and DB rows. (Nothing special.)

That said, though my strength has increased, I am concerned as to the condition of my joints (particularly my wrists.) Due to what I believe is repetitive motion injury (from typing on a laptop, both my wrists hurt. Badly. Oh well; I'll simply not do any direct bicep work for a while and take it easy on any lifts which tend to bother them. See if that helps.

Writing

Novel One: Still no word yet from agent. Waiting. Desperately.
Novel Two: 1000 words.

I am convinced that there is little in the world more frustrating than attempting to objectively critique one's own writing (particularly if one happens to suffer from terminally low self-confidence and, that favorite PC-buzzword, *self-esteem*.) There are those who tell me what I have written is good; I doubt it. Ah well, they say even Joyce was, to the end, dissatisfied with what he produced.

Reading: Pages refer to number of pages read each day.

Current:
Slouching Toward Gomorrah, by Robert Bork: 150 pages.
Fascinating examination of egalitarian and modern liberal trends. While I do not necessarily share his pessimistic view of American culture, his remarkably salient criticisms of liberal jurisprudence and, its concomitant, judicial activism, are alone worth the price of the book

The Alchemist, Paulo Coehlo: 100 pages.

Recent:
Return of the Primitive, by Ayn Rand and Peter Schwartz.
Zen in the Art of Writing, Ray Bradbury
The Conquest of Happiness , Bertrand Russell
The Ideas of Ayn Rand, by some guy whose name I cannot recall.
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Heinlein.

Overall Assessment of Day:

Little wasted time. Well, except that necessitated by getting ready to leave for college. Damn. Otherwise, not too bad.
[

Relentless
09-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_
I am convinced that there is little in the world more frustrating than attempting to objectively critique one's own writing (particularly if one happens to suffer from terminally low self-confidence and, that favorite PC-buzzword, *self-esteem*.) There are those who tell me what I have written is good; I doubt it. Ah well, they say even Joyce was, to the end, dissatisfied with what he produced.

Editing one's own work is definitely challenging. Personally, I find that my brain has a tendency to fill in gaps that are obvious to others because "I know what I meant". Getting an experienced editor to help you is very useful.

For your bicep pain, I recommend working with DBs instead of BBs if you want an option that puts less stress on the joint. I too found that my wrists and forearms would be bothered by heavy biceps work but I eventually pushed through it. Also, if you're doing biceps after back work, keep in mind that you're prefatiguing them... don't expect quite as much out of your biceps...

Good luck mate! Nice deadlifts BTW!

_-_v_-_
09-06-2002, 05:52 PM
Callahan,

Thanks for the advice. I've tried DBs, though, only to find that they put similar stress on my wrists. I have been informed that I am possibly suffering from tendonitis, in which case I think some anti-inflammatories might be of some use. We'll see.

As for the deadlifts, thanks. It helps that I'm short and small: 5'7'', about 140-150 lbs (haven't weighed myself in quite some time.)

And as for writing, well, all I can say is that I hope someday to reach a point at which I am satisfied with what I have produced. Given that I tend toward perfectionism, this point will likely never be reached. No matter. I'll settle for the judgement of the marketplace and the critics, particularly if large sums of money are involved :).

Craig James
09-06-2002, 07:04 PM
v,

what kind of writing do you do?

Also, have you read Ayn Rand's other works?

NateDogg
09-06-2002, 08:18 PM
v, sweet thread title. :thumbup:

_-_v_-_
09-06-2002, 08:51 PM
Craig,

I have of course read her primary works of, as I call them, philosofiction (philosophy+fiction.) As for her social, epistemological, and metaphysical endeavors (to my mind, terming Objectivism, or much of Randian thought, philosophy is to do a great disservice to the former, for Objectivism was and is intended to be a drastic departure from traditional philosophical theory,) I have not read as much as I would like.

Any title in particular that you recommend? I plan to read as much of her as I can.

As for your first question (I know, I'm going about this all out of order,) I write primarily literary fiction, occasionally indulging myself in a smattering of (probably execrable) poetry. Whether or not my books have any merit whatsoever remains to be seen; I shall have a better idea when I hear from a prospective agent.

Nate,

Thanks :). Technically, it's a bit of a misnomer: I did not just realize the fact that I am mortal (Really, I'm going to die? No way! You're kidding!.) The sense I was trying to convey, rather, was that with the acceptance of one's mortality ought to come a concomitant dedication to the maximization of one's existence. That is what I am trying to do.

_-_v_-_
09-07-2002, 08:02 PM
09-07-02:

Lifting

DB Shoulder Press: 60 X 6, 60 X 8, 65 X 3

The first set was difficult; getting the DBs into position took far too much energy (I had no spotter at that point.) In retrospect, I should have moved up to 65 on the second set, but as it was, the third set comprised only three true reps (three additional reps were done with assistance.) Oh well. 65's next week.

DB Lateral Raises: 25 X 7, 20 X 6

Bah. Feel so puny.

DB Rear Delt Raises: 30 X 7, 25 X 10

Took it easy on these; rear delts were a bit sore from back yesterday.

Barball Shrugs: 265 X 8, 265 X 8, 265 X 8

I realize these might seem a bit odd when juxtaposed with my size and other lifts. That said, my traps have always been quite strong (and are perhaps my best body part). I also question, from time to time, the correctness of my form. However, I do feel that I reach full contraction when shrugging, and so therefore I am not terribly concerned.

I must say, though, that I have never seen anyone else perform barbell shrugs in my gym, and so I have no means to compare my form or performance with that of others. Therefore, if these lifts seem disproportionate, please let me know, and I will reevaluate my form and, if necessary, lower the weight. Thanks :)

Finished with some hang cleans just for the hell of it. Normally I do upright rows, an exercise my wrist pain now precludes.

Writing:

Novel One: No news
Novel Two: 500 words.

Quality was not commensurate with (desired) ability today. That happens. Oh well. In a way, though, I'm almost glad for it; it gives me time to develop more completely a conception of the overarching thematic progression of the novel. In other words, I am f*cking clueless at this point :) Perhaps not. Though it often feels like it .... :)

Reading : (Pages refer to number of pages read each day.)

Slouching Toward Gomorrah, by Robert Bork: 150 pages.
The Alchemist. Paulo Coehlo, 80 pages. Completed.

Decent day. :)

rookiebldr
09-07-2002, 08:50 PM
Barball Shrugs:[/u] 265 X 8, 265 X 8, 265 X 8

I realize these might seem a bit odd when juxtaposed with my size and other lifts. That said, my traps have always been quite strong (and are perhaps my best body part). I also question, from time to time, the correctness of my form. However, I do feel that I reach full contraction when shrugging, and so therefore I am not terribly concerned.

I must say, though, that I have never seen anyone else perform barbell shrugs in my gym, and so I have no means to compare my form or performance with that of others. Therefore, if these lifts seem disproportionate, please let me know, and I will reevaluate my form and, if necessary, lower the weight. Thanks :)

Well done on the shrugs. I too, seem to have this same abnormality, in that my shrug lifts are disproportionate for my other shoulder and back lifts or at least IMO. I believe my ROM is in line with others that I've seen in my gym and that I have a fairly slow tempo compared to others in my gym. That might not mean too much if most in my gym use poor form but it's all I have to compare with.

B&I, who seems to have incredible form, based on his journal, has his shoulders raised to his ears when doing shrugs. I admit, that I do not quite reach that level when performing mine - but close.

_-_v_-_
09-09-2002, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the input.

I also raise shoulders nearly to ear-level (if not to ear-level, then to as high as my shoulders will contract, with or without weight.) While my form may not be perfect, I am nevertheless satisfied with the growth of my traps and concomitant increases in my strength.

Anyway, time for the update.

09-09-02

Lifting:

Squats: 155 X 6, 225 X 4, 260 X 6, 260 X 6, 270 X 5

Changed these a bit: went from a narrower stance, which placed uncomfortable pressure on my hips and back, to a wider stance. I abandoned the wide stance several months ago, as it became clear that my right knee had the charming habit of bending inward under heavy weight. DEEElightful! Anyway, I returned to the former, uh..., form :) and found that my right knee had developed strength sufficient to prevent any potentially-surprising inward motion. Overall, despite being a bit unaccustomed to the different stance, I was pleased how these felt. They should shoot up soon, I hope.

That is, if I eat enough.

SLDL (off floor): 225 X 8, 255 X 6

Took these a bit easy today. I still have some lingering lower back issues (joint pain and the like,) and a tendency to round my back under too much weight. So rather than force the issue, rather than, as Eliot might say, "disturb the universe," I gave my back a bit of a rest and focused instead on pulling in my hamstrings. Worked well, I think.

Hack Squat (ATF):: 290 X 6, 300 X 4

These are hard. Ouch. Much unpleasantness.

Leg Curls: 130 X 6, 120 X 8

Whatever.

Leg Extensions: 210 X 10, 210 X 7

Again, whatever.

Finished with calf work (seated and standing.)

Weight: 145 (approx.)

Writing:

Novel One: Heard from agent. Not good. Damn. Oh well. Time to find a new agent.

Novel Two: Good progress. Am beginning to have a clearer conception of thematic development. Characters are growing sharper, more distinct. Everything is coalescing, taking shape. Good.

Reading:

Yesterday: Finished Slouching Toward Gomorrah and started The Archivist/

Today:
The Archivist, 100 pages.

Well, all is said and done for another day. How nice it has --
RANT ALERT:

I hope my agent reads this. Let her. I hope I go bestseller and make another agent famous and rich. I hope I go movie-adaption and seven-figure deals. I hope I go Steven King on her ass.

No. I'm not bitter. Not at all. What makes you say that?

END RANT:

--been to share it all with you :)

-v-

_-_v_-_
09-10-2002, 08:39 PM
09-10-02:

Lifting:

Bench Press: 165 X 3, 155 X 6, 155 X 5

What the hell? Strength dropped precipitously here...hmm.... Normally I can put up 165 for at least six....

Damn you, diet.

Dips: +70 X 3, +55 X 7, +60 X 4

Again, less than normal. I ought to hit at least 70 X 6. I think my body just likes to f*ck with me.

Flies: 40 X 7, 40 X 5

How pathetic. How freaking pathetic.

V-grip cable pressdowns: 150 X 7, 140 X 6, 140 X 6

Whatever. Man, my wrists LOVED these. Felt just GREAT.
(ouch ouch ouch)

Finished with lying dumbbell extensions.

Now, normally I do skullcrushers followed by v-grip pressdowns; however, skullcrushers currently hurt my wrists too much, so I have had to improvise a bit. Damn. I miss skulls.
Weight: 144

Writing:

Novel One: Editing again: an attempt to force fresh beauty into tired prose. And that is what bothers me: there is a story to be told, images and emotions to be reduced into words, yet I fear that I cannot do it justice, that I am neither skilled nor lucky enough to create what I have imagined. I now know, on some shallow level, how a surgeon must feel; there is something waiting to be born, something which I must now bring into the world. And if I fail.... at least, unlike the surgeon, I can begin again.

Novel Two: Progress, perhaps. Who knows, the story may tomorrow crash to the ground in flames. Isn't writing fun!

Reading:

The Alchemist, : 100 pages. (Too busy today; no time to read.)

ArjKing
09-11-2002, 01:23 PM
Cool journal V. I can almost feel myself getting smarter while reading it. Keep up the good work.

Craig James
09-11-2002, 01:58 PM
v, I have read most of the works of Ayn Rand, and personally the only one that I care for is her monument - Atlas Shrugged . I usually read that one once every year or so. As far as her fiction goes, it is the only one that I care for, and I simply have a hard time reading her purely philosophical works. I did read the biography Passion of Ayn Rand by Barbara Branden. It was very informative yet difficult, too, in that there is a dark side to Rand that I would rather not have known about.

I salute you in your endeavor towards publication. I have long thought of sitting down and typing out my own little book or two, only I have just failed to "Do It". Perhaps reading of your experiences will help me to get my own work going. By the way, Stephen King has an interesting book out on writing that, if you haven't read it already, makes for a very good look into his journey of writing and getting published.

As far as your BB shrugs go - I always found myself to be able to do large amounts of weight compared with my other lifts. I find the shrugs to be similar to calf raises in that it is a very small ROM and the muscles are very good at moving a lot of weight.

Anyway, I enjoy your journal!

_-_v_-_
09-13-2002, 10:04 PM
Arj- Thanks for the compliment :)

Craig --

Yeah, I agree with you about Ayn Rand; from what I've read, she did have a sordid side to her, one which unfortunately made her philosophy far too easy a target for ad hominem attacks.

And, regarding publication, thanks; it's not the writing that is difficult but the selling thereof. King's On Writing is informative, I agree. If you are interested in any other titles on that subject, or if you have any questions regarding the writing/publishing process, feel free to let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Don't be afraid to start, though; you'd be surprised at how easy the writing process can sometimes be. 1000 words each day X three months = one book.

09-13-02:

Lifting:

Chins: +55 X 3 , +45 X 4, +40 X 4

Slow negative on the last rep of each set. Ouch.

DB Row: 75 X 6, 80 X 4, 75 X 6

Yeah, I know; I dropped weight on the last set. There was simply no way that 80 was going up for another set of four solid reps. Oh well. Still a PR.

Finished with cable rows and hammer curls.

That's it. I am fed up with my f*cking wrists; call it tendonitis, call it joint pain, call it invisible zombies gnawing my hands off, I don't care; they hurt. The pain shoots along the outside of each wrist, from the pinky down the forearm. My doctor believes that typing on my laptop may be the culprit; when I type, my wrists are placed at an odd angle, which stresses exactly the afflicted area.
I hate this. Bicep curls are simply out of the question. Any type of bicep curls.

Damn. I guess this means I'll never have those HYOOOOOOOOOOOOOGE GUNZ I've always wanted.

Also, I am reducing my deadlift frequency in the hope of focusing more effectively on my squat. I'll be doing deadlifts every other week, alternating them with hyperextensions. We'll see how this works.

Weight: 144.

Writing:

Novel One: Editing. I plan to query a new set of agents as soon as I finish moving.

Novel Two: Good progress and good editorial feedback. At this point, I am reluctant to discuss specifically the salient points of the novel; I am too unsure of the overall thematic progression and character development to place such (currently) delicate constructions under public scrutiny. In time, I will write with more specificity; but for now, I cannot.

Reading:

Finished The Archivist. Fascinating book, especially for those who happen to be fans of Eliot (I am.)

And I admit. I caved. I gave in. I acquiesced. I bought The Lovely Bones. More to study than to read.

Other Crap:

I hate packing. I hate moving. I hate getting ready for college. And I really hate 20 hour drives.

Sorry. Had to vent.

Later.

_-_v_-_
09-21-2002, 10:06 PM
Ok. Screw form of update; screw content; screw anything but venting.

Note to self: next time, get a GROUND FLOOR apartment.

Moving to a top-floor sucks. Badly.

That said, I'm all settled in here at college. Ah, higher education; I can smell the bullsh*t now.

Can't wait for my first communist professor. What fun.

Workouts have been...crap...squeezed in when I've had time. Oh, another note to self: doing pull-ups with a 60lb dumbbell hanging from your toes is NOT comfortable.

Weight: down to 140. Too much stress; too much walking; too much moving heavy objects; too much dealing with orientation touchy-feely condescending patronizing politicizing socializing pacifying reassuring utter NONSENSE!!!!!!!

No, I don't mind. Not at all. Treat me as if I'm never been here before. Welcome me to college by acting as if I'm too stupid to belong here. Whatever.

Anyway, time to get ready for classes. Will formally update the journal when I have time.

ArjKing
09-22-2002, 11:57 AM
Yeah I always hated college orientations, i've been to plenty. They spend 45 minutes talking to you about date rape and 5 minutes showing you were your classes are.

Jane
09-22-2002, 12:02 PM

The Alchemist. Paulo Coehlo, 80 pages. Completed.

I was just skimming and I found this. What did you think of this short-but-poignant piece? I truly loved it. It's simple, but so profound at the same time. I still think of it from time to time. :)

_-_v_-_
09-23-2002, 09:54 PM
No form for this update: instead, merely content. Which is, I guess, how it should be.

For whatever reason, I'll also detail warmup sets.

Squats 135 X 6, 225 X 4, 260 X 6, 280 X 6, 290 X 4

Next stop, 315 for reps. These felt solid, with not a bit of trouble from my right knee (which has, as some of you more diligent readers will no doubt recall :), a DEEElightful tendency to bow inward, not everytime, but just enough to make life interesting.) The wider stance is helping quite a bit.

SLDLS 255 X 8, 265 X 6

Taken from the floor. Felt strong, quite strong. I need to keep an eye on my back, though.

Leg Press 500 X 8, 600 X 6

Yawn. Whatever. Call it what you want; it still feels pathetic compared to some of the ppl on this site (read: belial, powerman, elp, etc...)

Finished with leg curls, leg extensions, and some calf work.

Weight: 141.

-Jane: To tell the truth, I was disappointed with the book. I had, from the accolades it had "earned" and the glowing recommendations I had been given, been led to expect something powerful, something thought-provoking, something even (pause) life-changing. Instead I found myself reading new-age self-help worthy of Tony Robbins himself. While I am no existentialist, I cannot claim in good conscience that all the universe conspires to help you achieve your "Personal Legend," a term which itself reeks of mass-produced inspirational calendars festooned with cute kittens hanging precariously from tree-limbs (god how I wish to see that damn kitten fall :). While a benevolent transendent entity may and in all probability does exist, the fact that too many good people are cut short in the prime of their lives, tantalized by the forestallment or denial of their goals, or frustrated by immutable circumstance, necessarily undercuts, and even makes laughable, Coehlo's theme.

Thanks for the post, though. Please don't think I'm attacking you here :). From what I've read, you are perhaps the most frighteningly intelligent person I've ever met. Really.

-Arj. Yeah, college orientations suck. Especially here.

_-_v_-_
09-24-2002, 06:03 PM
Ah, crap.

I must be the ONE guy in the world who hates working chest. Speaking of, note to chest: you are supposed to get STRONGER as time goes on; progression is by definition an UPWARD trend.

That said, I'm not even going to detail my benching prowess, or rather the utter lack thereof. Instead I'm going to detail the routine i've been using over the past few weeks/months and open myself to any and all suggestions, with the sole caveat that nobody mention how i've been neglecting my upper chest.

Routine:
Flat BB Bench 3 X 6-8 (generally first set heavier for 4-6, last two a bit lighter for 6-8)

Dips 3 X 6-8 (heaviest set first, and only the last set taken to failure)

Flies 2 X 8 (failure on last rep of last set)

When I haven't had access to a dip belt, I've instead used the following routine:

Flat (same as above)

DB Press 2 X 6-8

Flies 3 X 6-8

ArjKing
09-24-2002, 07:54 PM
are you able to force yourself to do 1-2 reps extra of the same weight from last week? How long have you been doing flat bench, perhaps you've reached a plateau? Maybe think of switching to DB incline.

Alex.V
09-24-2002, 09:01 PM
wut r u doing for ur upper chest???

Alex.V
09-24-2002, 09:02 PM
Erm, right.

I hate working chest too.

How are you doing your flyes? The much-maligned fly-press seems to do a lot more for me than standard flyes.

_-_v_-_
09-24-2002, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Arj- It's more than not being able to force one or two extra reps; it's not even being able to do the SAME amount of reps. My bench strength is actually DECREASING.

I've only been doing flat for a couple of months; previous to that point I had been doing DB presses for quite some time.

It is frustrating to increase my squat one day and watch my bench decrease the next. Week in. Week out. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Ad nauseum.

Belial- I do flies with the strictest possible form. That is not to say, however, that my form is perfect, as I often do find myself fly-pressing.

Hmm, speaking of flies: they've been decreasing too.

Perhaps overtraining? I would doubt it, though; my volume isn't that high, and higher volume hasn't hurt my legs at all. Oh well.

Probably just need to up my caloric intake. But I am reluctant to do that if there is even the slightest chance that my routine, and not my diet, is to blame.

Alex.V
09-24-2002, 10:24 PM
Fly-pressing is actually my preferred way of doing them. With heavier weight, of course. Think about the force being exerted by the pec at any given angle during a heavier fly-press. A regular fly is really only overloading the pecs at the greatest extension, maybe a few inches of motion. The fly-press is actually a far superior motion, if you ask me.

Now, about the bench... what's your tempo like? Where's your sticking point? Where are you bringing the bar on your chest? And.... yes. I'm inclined to think its diet-related, but are there other environmental factors? What are you doing on the day before your chest day, and on the day prior to your workout? Analyze that in relation to the time preceding your other workouts (which are improving). There might be some clues there.

_-_v_-_
09-24-2002, 11:24 PM
The only problem I have with the fly-press is the strain it appears to place on my wrists (see: aforementioned tendonitis problem.) Other than that, I am, at least when examining my own limited experience with the movement (which began, incidently, after reading your description thereof in your journal), inclined to agree with your advocation of them. I do like them. My wrists, however, don't.

As for the bench itself, my sticking point is low, which leads me to believe that my chest is failing first. I've tried taking the bar down to a bit below nipple-level, to nipple-level, and higher, but it doesn't seem to help at all.

The day before chest I do legs. I've attempted to search for patterns, for trends, for anything at all that would corroborate some of my pet theories. I've thought, for example, that my glycogen stores were low from the chest workout; yet I've had no trouble increasing shoulder press, for example, the day after a heavy deadlift/back session.

Now, what may be occuring is that my squat isn't improving, per see, at least not in the sense of muscle growth: that, due to the new stance I'm using, I am simply becoming more efficient in my performance of the movement, and thus my "strength" increases are due solely to neuromuscular adaptation. Were this the case, I should expect to see meager to nonexistent gains in my other lifts: hello, (or should I say goodbye,) bench press. It is certainly true that my progress in my other lifts has slowed somewhat, but it has far from ceased. This would seem to suggest that diet is not to blame; yet the aforesaid squat theory and bench press regression would seem to suggest otherwise.

Damn, sometimes I think we make this too complicated.

*crushes beer can with forehead, grunts, eats a steak*

That's more like it.

Jane
09-25-2002, 04:09 PM
-Jane: To tell the truth, I was disappointed with the book. I had, from the accolades it had "earned" and the glowing recommendations I had been given, been led to expect something powerful, something thought-provoking, something even (pause) life-changing. Instead I found myself reading new-age self-help worthy of Tony Robbins himself. While I am no existentialist, I cannot claim in good conscience that all the universe conspires to help you achieve your "Personal Legend," a term which itself reeks of mass-produced inspirational calendars festooned with cute kittens hanging precariously from tree-limbs (god how I wish to see that damn kitten fall :). While a benevolent transendent entity may and in all probability does exist, the fact that too many good people are cut short in the prime of their lives, tantalized by the forestallment or denial of their goals, or frustrated by immutable circumstance, necessarily undercuts, and even makes laughable, Coehlo's theme.

Thanks for the post, though. Please don't think I'm attacking you here :). From what I've read, you are perhaps the most frighteningly intelligent person I've ever met. Really.

Actually, I'm not surprised at all that you were disappointed with The Alchemist. Looking back on the simplicity I mentioned, I think that a person of your experience and I'm-not-sure-what age would feel, well, exactly how you felt.

I read that book approximately 2 years ago, at the tender age of 15. :) So you can see where I, having had a different environment and only about two new-age-style novels prior, felt that I had discovered something new and was truly touched by it. Perhaps I shall re-read it and see how my world view has changed.

As for your compliment, it's funny that I thought the same of you, especially given your voracious reading.

_-_v_-_
09-25-2002, 11:20 PM
I'm-not-sure-what age
18. nearing 19.

Jane, thank you for the compliment. It means a lot coming from you. I have only a vague idea of what you have gone through in the past few years, of your struggles and your successes, but from those facts I do know, I can honestly say that you are inspiring, for there are some, and perhaps many, parallels between my experience and yours. And belial's, for that matter, not to drag his name into this at all. Sorry, Belial :( You can edit these statement if you like.

BTW, have you ever considered writing as a career? I ask not out of a desire merely to infect another with my affliction (not career, for I hope to practice medicine someday), but instead because your prose is nothing less than remarkable. I'm not kidding. You can write. Well. Very well. Remember that.

Neil
09-25-2002, 11:40 PM
Awesome journal.
You should post your diet on occasion.

_-_v_-_
09-26-2002, 08:49 AM
Thanks, Neil. I'll see if I can't post today's.

Jane
09-26-2002, 08:57 AM

I have only a vague idea of what you have gone through in the past few years, of your struggles and your successes, but from those facts I do know, I can honestly say that you are inspiring, for there are some, and perhaps many, parallels between my experience and yours. And belial's, for that matter, not to drag his name into this at all. Sorry, Belial :( You can edit these statement if you like.
I don't think you need to apologize. :) B already knows he copycatted my life and annoys me by finishing my sentences. ;)

Where are you from, anyway?

_-_v_-_
09-26-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally (and unfortunately, I might add,) Idaho.

Currently, Stanford.

_-_v_-_
09-27-2002, 05:01 PM
Hmm, interesting day.

I go to a large university. I repeat: a LARGE university. We're talking city-sized here. We're talking endowments that put Pamela Anderson's to shame. We're not simply talking huge; we're talking positively Leviathan.

So tell me, just why is it that the largest and best-equipped weight room on campus:
A) Doesn't have a dip belt.
B) Doesn't let you take DBs from the "DB Area" to the
pull-up stand.
C) Doesn't let ANY weight touch ANY part of their
precious floor. Read: NO DEADLIFTS

I mean, what are they using all that money on? Classes and stuff? Uh...wait.

Anyway, suffice to say I was more than a little frustrated.

Still, half-decent workout.

Chins: +60 X 2 (Snuck a DB when they weren't watching; they were not pleased); +20 X 8 (held a medicine ball between my feet); +20 X 8; +20 X 6

The last three sets were actually pull-ups (palms-out.) Had to make it a bit harder, given the pathetic weight.

DB Rows 80 X 4, 80 X 5 75 X 6

Felt decent, but I wish I could increase these more quickly.

Also threw in two sets of cable rows, some hyperextensions, and some ab crap.

Barbell curl 85 X 6 , 80 X 4, 75 X 4

Hammer curl 35 X 6, 35 X 6

All in all, a decent workout. Nothing special, nothing fancy. Also, there is a chance I'll be able to use the varsity weightroom on campus, which would mean I'd be able to deadlift and weighted-dip to my heart's content. Nice.

I'll detail my diet when I have time, probably tonight.

_-_v_-_
09-29-2002, 10:42 PM
Yet another exciting day in the life of a college student: you know, hedonistic revelry, drunken debauchery, keg stands and one-night stands, etc...

Yeah, right. Who am I kidding.

Well, I did have a bit of a wild time with my chemistry homework, wild vixen that she is...mmm, those sensuous orbitals, those tantalizing charge fields, those smooth expanses of...umm, never mind, I never said that...

Anyway, the workout. Right.

DB Shoulder Press 60 X 8, 65 X 5 , 60 X 6

Very nice: straight back, good form, everything. Now why can I increase these but not bench?

DB Lateral Raises 25 X 7, 20 X 8, 20 X 8

Ho-hum. As if I could increase these.

DB Rear Delt Raises 30 X 8, 25 X 12

Felt strong (says the 140-lb man.) What a joke.

Hang Cleans: 105 X 6, 115 X 4, 125 X 3

Obviously, I'm shooting more for explosive strength here than for hypertrophy. I like these, though. Next week, 135.

BB shrugs 245 X 10, 265 X 8, 275 X 6

That's it. Nothing more to say. Class tomorrow. Woo-hoo!

*leaves journal to marinate overnight in bitter sarcasm*

_-_v_-_
10-02-2002, 07:33 PM
Well, that helped.

Yet another fun day of class, class, class. Amazing how a supposed "top" university can be so boring so frequently.

Classic example: Professor of Religion, lecturing on a Greek text (The Golden Ass, by Apuleius). *braces for innuendo barrage*

Actual Quote, btw.

"This text is written in the PAST (emphasis hers) tense, which makes it different from a text written in the PRESENT tense. A text written in the PAST tense means that the narrator is telling the story from some point in the FUTURE, which makes you wonder where he is and what he is doing now. A text told in the PRESENT tense doesn't have this conflict."

BRILLIANT, I TELL YOU!!!! UTTERLY ASTOUNDING INSIGHT!!!! I AM ENLIGHTENED! I AM A NEW MAN!!!

Dear god, what's next: "This text is written in ENGLISH, which makes it different from a text written in FRENCH." Thank you, Professor Obvious. Your diploma, please. You won't be needing THAT anymore.

Ah, college...will the learning never cease? (And yes, it was a required class...go figure...)

Anyway, the workout. Yesterday. Legs.

Squats 265 X 6, 275 X 6, 285 X 4 (warmups not detailed.)

Took it easy today. Two weeks of biking all over campus have taken their toll; well, that, and a hell of a lot of football. As a result, didn't feel comfortable going for 300 like I wanted to.

SLDL 245 X 8...275 X 0 because I was told in no uncertain terms by the "manager" that I couldn't deadlift in HIS gym...

Finished with leg presses, leg curls, and leg extensions. Oh yeah, and some calf stuff.

You can tell how much I cared for THAT workout. ******* bureaucracy.

Weight: 142
Height: 5'7'

Nope. Haven't grown taller yet. Or much bigger, for that matter. Oh well.

Good news, though: possibly will join the college's lifting club/powerlifting team. I've never trained solely for strength, but I'm curious to see how much I could squat/dl were I to do so.

ectx
10-03-2002, 06:51 PM
*leaves journal to marinate overnight in bitter sarcasm*

I see you've also seasoned it with a bit of acerbic wit. Nicely done.

Sorry about the deadliftus interuptus. Gym nazis suck.

_-_v_-_
10-03-2002, 09:18 PM
Thanks, man :). Yes, deadlift nazis suck; problem is, this same deadlift nazi also happens to be a weighted pullup and dip nazi as well. Yep, that's right. Nothing dangerous in HIS gym. Treadmills and curl-bars right this way, people. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Come on.

_-_v_-_
10-08-2002, 02:33 PM
Whoa, massive update time. That's college life for ya.

Ok...let's see: Last chest day

DB Flat Press 75 X 5, 70 X 7, 70 X 6

Dips +75 X 4, +60 X 6, +60 X 5

DB Flies 40 x 8, 40 X 7

Skulls 70 X 8, 75 X 6

Finished with v-grip pressdowns.

Ok...let's see: Last back day

Chins 65 X 2 , 45 X 4, 40 X 4

DB Rows 80 X 6, 85 X 4,

Finished with some machine rows and underhanded pulldowns

Barbell Curls 85 X 6 , 75 X 8

DB Hammer Curl 40 X 6, 35 X 8

Ok...let's see: Last shoulder day

DB Shoulder press 65 X 5, 65 X 3, 60 X 8

DB Lateral raises 25 X 6, 20 X 8, 20 X 8

DB Rear Delt Raises 30 X 8, 30 X 8

Hang Cleans 105 X 8, 135 X 2, 115 X 6

Shrugs 275 X 8, 285 X 8

Ok...let's see: Today

Squats: 265 X 6, 295 X 6, 305 X 2.5

Well, actually 3 reps on the last set...but not good depth. The rest were all very nice...deep and explosive

Paused explosive squats: 225 X 8

Yes, yet another Belial wannabe :)

SLDLs 245 X 8, 245 X 8

Finished with a leg press drop set, leg curls, and leg extensions.

I'm pumped (no pun intended.) First 300+ pound squat. Legal, too. Damn. I rule. Bow down to me.

*looks at belial and powerman's journal...bangs head against wall...*

Nevermind.

Weight: 143.

Alex.V
10-08-2002, 02:35 PM
Impressive squat for your bodyweight, regardless. Congratulations. :)

Paul Stagg
10-08-2002, 02:43 PM
Nice work.

Join the PLing club. They'll have a gym where you can deadlift.

The last day in your current gym... spill your chalk and walk out.

PowerManDL
10-08-2002, 02:49 PM
After dropping the bar from a deadlift lockout position.

Paul Stagg
10-08-2002, 02:51 PM
Better yet, do a clean and jerk, then drop it.

On your chalk container.

*poof*

Any idea how long it will take to clean the chalk out of the treadmills? BWAHAHAHA!

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-08-2002, 02:54 PM
Put a dead salmon in one of the lockers, lock it and keep the key.

PowerManDL
10-08-2002, 02:54 PM
Gym owners hate Oly lifts period. This dick would probably have a stroke.

You combine dropping one with a chalk spill and BAM!, he's on the way to the cardiac unit.

_-_v_-_
10-08-2002, 03:35 PM
You guys are truly evil. Thanks, though.

I've contacted the PL club, which has access to the varsity gym. Whether or not I've ever be able to lift there is another question entirely. I should be able to get in on the weekends...but during the week, well, since i'm not a varsity athlete, it may be difficult.

Oh well.

If they had chalk, I'd do that. But they don't; I mean, what else do you expect? This is a clean and pretty gym, a calm and pleasant place, filled with soft music and humming treadmills, dumbells and plates all gleaming and shining, untouched by rust...

No, squatting didn't feel odd, not in that gym, not at all...

Ugh.

Jane
10-08-2002, 03:59 PM
Nice squat!

<----jealous

_-_v_-_
10-08-2002, 04:17 PM
Thanks.

God, I can't believe I'm pleased with something as painful as squatting.

<---------pathetic little meathead masochist

_-_v_-_
10-10-2002, 10:19 PM
Chest day.

Note to self: writing important-sounding essays on unimportant novels sucks. Badly.

DB Flat Press 80 X 3.5. 75 X 5, 70 X 6

Whoa. These were odd; my chest feels smaller, yet my lifts increased. Oh well, it's probably just my good friend mr. "seriously fucked up body image" speaking up again.

Dips +75 X 4, +60 X 6, +60 X 6

Not so good, but then, what did I expect? I mean, I just increased flat DB. Oh well.

DB Flies 40 x 8, 40 X 7

Skulls 80 X 6, 75 X 6

These hurt my wrists if I'm not careful. Still, I wish someone would explain just why it is that I can curl more than I can skull; and in light of this fact, could someone please tell me why it is that my biceps are puny and my triceps are relatively large?
WTF???

Finished with v-grip pressdowns. (2 sets.)

Weight: 143.

Everything else...well...let's just say I've been busy. And by busy I mean horn...umm....busy, yeah, that's it. Seriously, things have been hectic. What I wouldn't give for a burst of inspiration from on high, a light to guide me through a freakingly POINTLESS required essay....why is it that I can find the creative voice necessary to write a book, yet can't find a voice sufficient for a three page paper?

It has to do with desire, with love. That simple.

F it. Oh well.

Paul Stagg
10-11-2002, 07:34 AM
Start out by saying something about symbolism. Freshman Comp profs LOVE symbolism.

<--------- Still thrilled he tested out of Freshman Comp and had to take an honors writing course instead.

galileo
10-11-2002, 07:38 AM
I loved my Honors Composition classes. I learned so much more about life than writing, but it was much better than ENG101-102.

_-_v_-_
10-11-2002, 08:08 AM
Would that I could do that....

it's a required introduction to humanities course. There's nothing I can do....

<-------- thinks "tenure" the funniest thing EVER.

ectx
10-11-2002, 12:02 PM
<--------------will agree about tenure while he is still a postdoc.

_-_v_-_
10-11-2002, 12:30 PM
<----------------- asks ectx what field.

ectx
10-11-2002, 01:12 PM
<-------------------answers microbiology

_-_v_-_
10-11-2002, 01:17 PM
<------------- is suitably impressed.

NateDogg
10-11-2002, 02:09 PM
<---------------------- is laughing is ass off.

Jane
10-11-2002, 06:11 PM
<-----started the trend. :D

_-_v_-_
10-11-2002, 06:25 PM
<----------------- refuses to pay royalties :)

ectx
10-11-2002, 08:50 PM
<--------------gives Jane a nickel.

<--------------is poor because of graduate school.

_-_v_-_
10-12-2002, 03:17 PM
<-------- is poor because of college

<--------- worked out today as well.

Ok, that's enough of that :).

Chins: +70 X 1.75, 45 X 5, 45 X 3 / 35 X 5

The first set was SO close to two solid reps....just couldn't get the last few inches. Damn. So close. This is particularly frustrating considering the abundance of massive chinning strength on this board.

DB Rows 80 X 6, 85 X 5

Ho-hum.

Tried barbell rows as well, but didn't like them. The range of motion feels...odd, I guess. I probably will stick to DB rows; of course, when the soreness hits tomorrow, I may change my mind :). Never know.

Finshed with close-grip pulldowns (2 sets.) Back was shot.

Barbell Curls 90 X 4, 80 X 6

Good form, too. My lower back gets enough work as it is, thank you very much: no swinging or leaning or swaying here :)

DB Hammer curls 40 X 5, 37.5 X 5

All in all, not a bad workout. Now if only I could somehow enjoy it. Or anything else, for that matter.

Jane
10-12-2002, 03:48 PM
Carpe Diem!

:)

Budiak
10-14-2002, 01:21 AM
<----------------fashionably late

_-_v_-_
10-14-2002, 07:51 AM
<---------- is that way all the time.

_-_v_-_
10-14-2002, 07:55 PM
Note to self: scalding hot coffee and laptops DO NOT mix. Repeat: DO NOT! We're talking NRA and Michael Moore immiscibility here, Michael Jackson and the words "Great Artist" incompatibility...etc...

Suffice to say: I won't know until tomorrow if my laptop keyboard will ever work again. The laptop itself is fine, just fine, so f*cking fine as to be irritating beyond belief, but the keyboard may be shot. I may have to buy a USB board for it until I can get it fixed.

And EVERYTHING I've written is on it. Everything. It's where I do ALL my writing. It's my notebook, my scrapbook, and my muse all in one. Can't BELIEVE I did that. I'm such a f*cking moron.

All this less than 12 hours after my DESKTOP decided to encounter numerous fatal errors in the 16-bit dos subsystem, thus preventing winlogin and full boot. Damn. Damn damn damn. I was able to get around it with a little bit of trickeration, but still, the computer isn't running right: too slow, too unstable. May have to do a full format. Damn.

Well, isn't life just great.

"To face an overwhelming question..."
-Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."

Would that I could face that question; would that I could escape into those half-deserted streets, those muttering retreats, those evenings spread out against the sky like a patient etherized upon the table...

That all will make absolutely NO sense to those who've never read Eliot. But oh well.

Oh, good old Unreal City, London no more. It's all California now, modern and digital. Waste Land 2.0.

Alright, that's enough rambling...

A little workout information, for those few who care...

DB Shoulder Press 65 X 6, 65 X 4, 60 X 7

Perfect depth. Felt very strong.

DB Lateral Raises 25 X 7, 20 X 8

Woo-hoo! Ugh.

DB Rear Delt Raises 30 X 12, 30 X 10

Ugh.

Hang Cleans 105 X 6, 135 X 1.5, 115 X 6

These were down a bit from last week; perhaps I'm overtraining traps just a bit when I combine these with shrug work. Oh well.

Shrugs: 275 x 10, 285 X 6

That's it.

ectx
10-14-2002, 11:08 PM

"To face an overwhelming question..."
-Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."

Would that I could face that question; would that I could escape into those half-deserted streets, those muttering retreats, those evenings spread out against the sky like a patient etherized upon the table...

Revisionist Eliot? I guess October is the cruelest month.
Prufrock...rocks. (well, the poem does, J. Alfred is a poor pathetic ball less sap)

Your strength/lb is very impressive. Your strength *period* is impressive. Cheers.

Jane
10-15-2002, 03:40 AM
Best of luck with the laptop. Just a few months ago, my stepfather erased all my writing from the past five years from my computer. Heartbroken would be a gross understatement. So I've been where you are.

Hopefully you can recover everything. If not, you still have your talent...it didn't go anywhere. Consider it a new challenge on that surprising path we call life?

_-_v_-_
10-15-2002, 08:01 AM
Thanks, Jane. As of now I'm not sure how much I may have lost. I'll find out around noon, so if there's another post about then full of nothing but &#$^%#$%@#%$#%&$%&$%& you'll know why.

As for Eliot...His poetry is incredible. That simple. While he himself may have been a decidedly cold and even despicable character, his poetry remains... breathtaking.

Ect, have you read the Waste Land, btw?

ectx
10-15-2002, 08:36 AM
Yep. Wasteland was brilliant. Kind of like a snapshot into all our societal indiscretions, yet so much more. Prophetic even (hehe, considering Madame Sosatris (sp?)).

_-_v_-_
10-15-2002, 09:52 AM
:).

I know...

It's probably the single clearest depiction of the spiritual paralysis and crushing indifference that together, IMO, define what we call modern life.

I'm reading a biography of Eliot now. Supposedly the most complete and insightful on the subject, it is, so far, remarkable. "T.S. Eliot: An Imperfect Life." Check it out if you're interested. I can't recommend it highly enough.

What other poets/authors do you like?

ectx
10-15-2002, 12:59 PM
Well said. Never read much about Eliot the person. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion. Science has kind of side tracked my literary appetite, so I'm not quite as well read as I'd like to be, but a few of my favorites:
Old School: Whitman, Faulkner (Sound and the Fury provides a great prototype for the ultimate disfunctional American family), and of course, Eliot.
Newer School: Kurt Vonnegut Jr., John Irving, Anthony Burgess, Douglas Adams. The last 2 simply amuse me. Vonnegut, however, is one of my all time favorite authors. Irving has moments of brilliance.
There's a few I've forgotten, but oh well. Any recommendations?

_-_v_-_
10-15-2002, 03:11 PM
ectx -- thanks. I hear you about the demands of science, man; college takes up so much time. Oh well; such is the price we pay for Higher Learning and Success.

Great list, btw. Adams is classic. Shame that he died the way he did (jogging on a treadmill, as I heard.)

As for authors...do you want Great Books (TM) -- you know, Hemingway, Woolf, Wolfe, Wolfe (ever notice how many great authors have that last name?) Faulkner, etc... -- or Good Books -- you know, the kind that are not only enjoyable but also worthwhile.

For the latter, I'd recommend Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and, in particular, Cryptonomicon, all by Neal Stephenson. Snow Crash is a hilarious and remarkably prescient pastiche of the cyberpunk and the postmodern. The Diamond Age is a more serious, yet still enjoyable, examination of the societal impacts of nanotechnology. Cryptonomicon...defies all encapsulative attempts.

Other books I'd recommend: House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski (GREAT BOOK GREAT BOOK GREAT BOOK). Cannot recommend this one highly enough.

Oh, man. So many choices, so little time. Here's a brief list

The Sun Also Rises, Hemingway

Gatsby

Their Eyes were Watching God

1984/Brave New World

Anything by Rand

Tolkein.

God, too many. I'll list a good deal more when I've got the time.

Workout info:

Man, horrible leg day. Absolutely miserable. Didn't help that I was as listless as hell going in...

Damn seratonin levels...

Sqwuats 265 X 6, 295 X 3.5, 275 X 7

The second set should have been for six reps; the third set should have been 315. I don't know what happened. Perhaps it was the hours of football I played on sunday, or all the biking I do to get around here...I don't know. Suffice to say I was pissed and I took the anger out on a third explosive set. Lighter weight, but oh well.

Paused explosive squats 225 X 8

SLDL 225 X 8, 245 X 8

Nothing special here. Just watching form.

Finished with leg press, some leg curls and leg extensions. Oh yeah, there was some calf work too. Like you could tell from looking at my calves, but oh well.

Weight: Less. Damn.

Jane
10-15-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by ectx

Newer School: Kurt Vonnegut Jr., John Irving, Anthony Burgess, Douglas Adams. The last 2 simply amuse me. Vonnegut, however, is one of my all time favorite authors.
Three cheers for Vonnegut! I began obsessing over him last year, and the passion is only growing.

Same for Douglas Adams...the man is a creative genius.
:nod::nod::nod:

ectx
10-15-2002, 04:41 PM
I loved Gatsby, preferred This Side of Paradise though...don't know why, I just did. The Wo(o)lf(e)s are cool. As far as Ayn Rand is concerned, I've only Read Atlas Shrugged, but I've been meaning to hit Fountainhead. Tolkein and Orwell i agree with again too. Hemingway, however, was a hack. You're the second person who's recommended House of Leaves. So I'll add it to my list. I've been meaning to read Cryptonomicon for a while now, but again...damn school. Argggh. Yet another for the list. Before I start my post-doc I'll be doing some traveling, and lots of reading. Just arming the list.

Thanks for the recommendations. Jane, Vonnegut rocks. :)

I'd hardly call your leg day horrible. How far down do you squat?

_-_v_-_
10-15-2002, 07:48 PM
Deep. Wide stance, past parallel. I'm probably the only person who's had problems in the past with squatting too deep (read, ATF). At times I've sacrificed weight and strength for perhaps excessive depth..but oh well...

That could have been my problem today: the depth. Both my hips were quite sore from football on Sunday, and squatting deep always puts alot of strain on my hips. Hmm...I did fail at the bottom of the movement too...could be it

_-_v_-_
10-17-2002, 09:49 PM
This ought to be an interesting journal entry...

I'll first detail the workout...probably ought to get it out of the way before I unburden anything else....

Horrible chest day. Horrible. Odd workout time, didn't eat enough before it, felt shaky and weak and depressed during...

Whatever

DB Press 80 X 3.5, 75 X 4, 70 X 7

Dips +70 x 4, +60 X 6, +60 X 4

Flies 40 X 8, 40 X 7

Skulls: I'm not even going to detail these. Weak as hell. Getting weaker. I can curl more than I can skull! WTF???

Finished with v-grip pressdowns.

Alright, now that the requisite Workout Update (TM) is taken care of, onto everything else...

I am unsure of how much to unburden here.

I am unsure of how much to say.

I am unsure.

"Twisting and turning in a widening gyre / the falcon cannot hear the falconer..." -Yeats, "The Second Coming,"

And I fade into myself, a spectator.

Watching. Always,

_-_v_-_
10-19-2002, 03:01 PM
Well, another back day.

This, in the midst of everything else I'm dealing with here.

Hard to concentrate on the workout? You might say that.

Hard to concentrate on anything at all, actually.

Oh, well: let's get the workout detailed.

Chins: +75 X 1, +45 X 5, +50 X 4

These felt good. Very explosive. I probably could have had six solid reps on the second set, but I wanted to save energy for an increase on my third set. It worked, I guess.

DB Rows 80 X 6, 90 X 4, 80 X 6

I'm going to have to watch my form here; on the higher weights it gets a little sketchy. The 80s felt fine though.

Finished with two sets underhanded pulldowns (6 reps each).

Barbell Curls 90 X 4, 80 X 6

Same as last week. Which is good, I guess.

DB Hammer Curls 40 X 6, 37.5

I know, these are weak; but hey, by now, my biceps are fried...

Weight: Same

Errata:

Inspiration has finally struck for my next literary project. This is a Good Thing (TM). And no, my writing style is NOT what is displayed here. Far from it, actually. I can't wait to start.

Other than that, there's not much else to discuss...

Except for the fact that I am THIS CLOSE to losing everything I've gained...

Detailing it all here would necessitate long stretches of tedious exposition. I'm not going to do that. Suffice to say that the past few weeks have been one long struggle. What I need here is what I have not yet found here, perhaps because I prevent myself from finding it...

I'll write more later. I have work to do.

ectx
10-19-2002, 07:18 PM
Sounds like you've got some heavy stuff going on. We often make things out to be much worse than they are. The human spirit is an amazing thing. It somehow always manages to persevere. Okay, enough mushy sh*t. How about them PB's you got. Nice going.

_-_v_-_
10-22-2002, 09:13 PM
Ectx, thanks.

No, it's nothing terribly heavy, not really. My parents haven't died; my house hasn't burned to the ground; my legs haven't fallen off; etc... It's just something with which I've struggled for quite some time...

I don't know if I can go into it per se, but I can at least write something...

But first let me get this out of the way:

Yesterday's Workout:

DB Shoulder Press 65 X 6, 65 X 5, 65 X 3

Next week, 70's for the first set. Nice. Now if only my chest would grow like my shoulders.

DB Lateral Raises 25 X 7, 20 X 10

You have no idea how excited I am. Really. I'm ecstatic. Can't you tell?

Ugh.

DB Rear Delt Raises 35 X 8, 30 X 12

Woohoo!

Shrugs 265 X 12, 275 X 10, 280 X 8

My hands hurt too much from football to do hanging cleans.

Weight: Same

And today:

A slight strain in my left groin prevented me from squatting. It is a fairly old injury which on Sunday I re-aggravated while playing football. Thus I didn't workout today, instead taking this leg day off to let my strain heal.

Ok, that's done. Now for the more essential stuff.

Random link:
Funniest Columnist Ever (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/021022.html)

Read his stuff, especially his back issues. I can't recommend him highly enough. Great humor, seriously. (Ok, that came out really wrong. No pun intended there. Sorry about that.)

Important stuff:

I am without personality. No, not in the sense that I am devoid of those things which differentiate me from other individuals, but in the sense that I, for certain reasons, make every possible effort to conceal every shred of everything that is even remotely indicative of my unique personality, my identity, my soul. I dare not offend; I dare not anger; I dare not subject myself to human judgement. Instead, my behaviors become changed, my actions guarded, my desires hidden, my agendas submerged, my thoughts limited, my voice and words no longer my own. Women approach me; I retreat into myself, hiding within my withered husk. Situations demand interaction; I refuse to attend. Ideas beg my arguments; I remain silent. Even here, I struggle to post, not for lack of content, but for fear of judgement. Even these words, this shallow screed of self-indulgent thought, are a struggle for me: they are not flawless, the arguments not yet seamless and irrefutable, the phrasing and diction not yet rhetorically sound, pleasing, perfect... Yet they must be, they have to be, at least if I am going to display them in full view of thousands of individuals whom I do not know and whom I will never meet, individuals whose only contact with me will be through my prose, whose judgement of me will be predicated upon only what they read here. Thus it has to be good and sound and pure and true; for if it is not, what then does that say about me?

And yes, I'm rambling now. I'll just shutup.

But not without this random dollop of musical goodness:

The band "...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead" has, in addition to the greatest name in the history of rock and roll, a truly great album in "Source Tags and Codes." Highly recommended. Awe-inspiring, really. Get it. Now.

Alex.V
10-22-2002, 09:22 PM

I am without personality. No, not in the sense that I am devoid of those things which differentiate me from other individuals, but in the sense that I, for certain reasons, make every possible effort to conceal every shred of everything that is even remotely indicative of my unique personality, my identity, my soul. I dare not offend; I dare not anger; I dare not subject myself to human judgement. Instead, my behaviors become changed, my actions guarded, my desires hidden, my agendas submerged, my thoughts limited, my voice and words no longer my own. Women approach me; I retreat into myself, hiding within my withered husk. Situations demand interaction; I refuse to attend. Ideas beg my arguments; I remain silent. Even here, I struggle to post, not for lack of content, but for fear of judgement. Even these words, this shallow screed of self-indulgent thought, are a struggle for me: they are not flawless, the arguments not yet seamless and irrefutable, the phrasing and diction not yet rhetorically sound, pleasing, perfect... Yet they must be, they have to be, at least if I am going to display them in full view of thousands of individuals whom I do not know and whom I will never meet, individuals whose only contact with me will be through my prose, whose judgement of me will be predicated upon only what they read here. Thus it has to be good and sound and pure and true; for if it is not, what then does that say about me?

You think far too much. FAR too much.

_-_v_-_
10-22-2002, 10:37 PM
Which is funny, considering that there are times I'm afraid I've forgotten how to think.

Alex.V
10-22-2002, 10:38 PM
I forgot how to my sophomore year of high school. Haven't looked back. :D

Budiak
10-22-2002, 10:57 PM
I dont recall the last time I remembered to think.

Popsicles!

ectx
10-22-2002, 11:15 PM
Popsicles are good.

Brain Freeze!

_-_v_-_
10-23-2002, 07:51 AM
I think that is the strangest thread degeneration I have ever seen. :)

_-_v_-_
10-23-2002, 10:12 PM
No workout today (that'll be tomorrow,) but I just thought I'd write anyway. No reason. Just felt like it.

I really ought to simply copy my journal writing directly into here; it would be quite entertaining, I assure you, at least until they came to put me away.

God, midterms. At least it's over now. Long day of classes, then midterms. Ugh. Class, class, meet prof, bike home, eat, bike back, class, bike home, study, eat, bike back, take midterm, bike home, [austin powers voice] and i'm spent [/austin powers voice]

Midterm... I love moments like these: "Hey, this test was easy; i still have fifteen minutes left and i'm already done! I'll just check my answers a bit...[time passes], well, everything looks good, [five minutes left now] wait, what's this, wh-- OH ****!!! THERE'S ANOTHER PAGE!" So that was great. Really. Just fantastic. I was ecstatic.

On a less embarassing note:

California: riding a bike through air thick with gold, underneath whispering palm trees, surrounded by a warm breeze whipped up from some distant and unseen protean sea...it's a great feeling. Would that I could somehow do it justice here,
here on the spur of the moment, here on this plastic keyboard tossed off like refuse from some endlessly-churning factory, on these little packets of information, all ones and zeroes, zeroes and ones, full of no sound, no fury, nothing at all, but still somehow signifying something, these little digital packages of love and thought and emotion, sent careening off through some
electronic maelstrom we can neither feel nor see nor touch, so beyond us is what we have created, so beyond our ken is this machine, until they, we hope, arrive somehow, some way, perhaps by the hand of god himself, at their intended destination. The wise men of ancient China wrote their great truths on grains of rice; for us, these microcosmic digital bits must somehow suffice.

Hey, that rhymed.

And yes, I'm rambling.

Riding around campus listening to the tuneless wailing of an anguished band...passing by recently-erected buildings made to blend in, new made to look old...no thought, no feeling, just experience, as the cold winds heavy with salt sweep down from the low clouds to cut through my jacket and shirt, making me acutely aware of the layers of extraneous tissue which entomb me, as the students come and go, talking never of michelangelo...

(Ten points to the first one who spots the reference!)

Wrapped up in myself, watching the world unfold before me, as Combray erupted from a simple madeleine, (another ten for that reference!)...

I have no idea why I'm writing this; perhaps merely I want some excuse to write. Yet what I write here is not writing, not in any real sense of the word; it is not durable, not visceral, not tactile; it is not physical but ephemeral, transitory, evanescent, like the thoughts and emotions from which it was born. What I write here cannot be stored in a box in some dusty attic, nor will it last to bear witness to my existence when I am no longer able to do so. Nor does my writing here in any way resemble what I consider my true writing. Everything here is different -- voice, style, approach, techniques, diction, etc... Thus what I write here is doubly useless to me. And yet still I write.

Whatever. It's about as impressive as my weight and lifts. Or appearance. Yes, ladies and gentlement, it's my pleasure to introduce my good friend, Mr. Dysmorphia! [applause] "Well, ain't you lookin like **** tonight! You got no chance in this place, boy! Why don't you just go back to the farm with the rest o' the animals."

Memory: warm cafeteria, sipping hot coffee before a cold window, looking out from sterile tile floors to a pregnant, tree-stroked sky...

BCC
10-23-2002, 10:23 PM
You're a strong mofo :thumbup:

_-_v_-_
10-23-2002, 10:43 PM
Is that a compliment, or a Monstar-pliment? :)

jk.

ectx
10-23-2002, 11:12 PM
as the students come and go, talking never of michelangelo...

LMAO...in bitter irony of course. Nice touch of Prufrock.

I grow old, I grow old. Oh well.
cheers.

BCC
10-23-2002, 11:22 PM
lol, indeed a compliment. Had it been a monstarpliment, it would have been followed by :thumbup: :thumbup:

Budiak
10-24-2002, 02:47 AM
Your writing is extremely interesting. I tried a creativer writing class, but my teacher didnt like sci fi. She was VERY indicative of the department, so I abandoned those dreams. When a teacher reads a piece of sci-fi and says 'I dont get it' what are you to do besides slap them? That not being a choice, I quit looking after a writing minor. Gat-damn hippies. She was the kind of teacher who almost required you to flip through the dictionary to find words people didnt know just for the virtue of the act. It sickened me, to the bone I tell you! Thats deep, the bone.

But hey, Whatever I guess. I still write a bit, mostly screenplays, and I have a hard time finishing them (and starting them) because I just want to keep writing it. SO many ideas, so many plots, gags, and the minutae. OH THE MINUTAE!

I refuse to say anything about your lifts, fatty. Ya big fatty fat fat.
Keep writing fatso.

I did have a problem here though. A big one.

California: riding a bike through air thick with gold, underneath whispering palm trees, surrounded by a warm breeze whipped up from some distant and unseen protean sea...it's a great feeling. Would that I could somehow do it justice here,
here on the spur of the moment, here on this plastic keyboard tossed off like refuse from some endlessly-churning factory, on these little packets of information, all ones and zeroes, zeroes and ones, full of no sound, no fury, nothing at all, but still somehow signifying something, these little digital packages of love and thought and emotion, sent careening off through some
electronic maelstrom we can neither feel nor see nor touch, so beyond us is what we have created, so beyond our ken is this machine, until they, we hope, arrive somehow, some way, perhaps by the hand of god himself, at their intended destination. The wise men of ancient China wrote their great truths on grains of rice; for us, these microcosmic digital bits must somehow suffice.

You forgot to mention hippies, a rupturing economy, a marxist governor, and hippies. ****ING HIPPIES! As a writer...painfully dissapointed at your lack of attention to detail.

_-_v_-_
10-24-2002, 08:19 AM
Ectx -- I shall wear my trousers rolled. Bonus points to you for answering reference with reference!

BCC -- Thanks :)

Budiak --

I've always thought that those who disparage sci-fi reveal only their own ignorance. Science fiction writing and "literary" writing are not, and have never been, mutually exclusive genres. It's indeed frustrating that the moment one decides to write a futuristic novel, one is immediately pigeonholed as a "sci-fi" writer. Ask Orwell. Ask Huxley. Ask Verne. Ask Asimov. Ask Heinlein. Ask Bradbury. Ask Clarke. Ask Wells. Ad nauseum...

Science fiction writing is JUST as valid as any other writing, perhaps even more so. For it is science fiction that, rather than merely showing us what is, what we already on some level know, shows us what will be, what world we can make for ourselves, should we only display initiative, creativity, and drive.

:
You forgot to mention hippies, a rupturing economy, a marxist governor, and hippies. ****ING HIPPIES! As a writer...painfully dissapointed at your lack of attention to detail.

But you forget...I was merely focusing on the immediate physical sensation of riding down a California street...thinking of everything true about Cali would have ruined the moment, would it not?

Hey. Consider it Sci-Fi :)

As for your writing, as ANYONE on WBB could tell you, you have talent in spades. Seriously, with your humor and voice you really ought to consider trying a novel. Hell, I'd rather read you than Eggers any day, and he's the publishing industry's darling.

_-_v_-_
10-24-2002, 03:29 PM
Oh, man. What a poor workout.

I hate my chest. My chest hates me. It's a reciprocal thing. Trust me on this.

My shoulders grow. My legs grow. My back grows. My biceps grow. My triceps grow. Hell, even my calves grow. But my chest doesn't. Everything else progresses. Everything else improves. But my chest doesn't.

I've tried more sets. I've tried fewer sets. I've tried sacrificing a goat to the great Iron God. Nothing works.

Well, okay, maybe I haven't sacrificed anything yet. But I'm damn close!

Suffice to say I'm not even going to detail today's workout. It's too depressing.

Instead I'm going to pull a Budiak and ramble about more interesting things, like life.

I should get my first humanities paper back today. What joy, what fun, feeling the axe poised above my head, ready and waiting for that triumphant downstroke with which my work will be torn asunder, rent apart in a fountain of red ink. How enjoyable, being tried in absentia, sitting in the unqualified judgement of another. Really, I'm ecstatic about this. I just love being misunderstood. Hell, it seems to be about the only thing I do well.

On another note, if I only can conceive of the appropriate entrance, le mot juste, so to speak, into my next piece of writing (can't categorize it, not yet; it's too early for that), then I should be set. It's all there to tell; all I have to do is find a way in.

On yet another note, I'm going to keep pimping this band until people start to listen. ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Album: "Source Tags and Codes." Get it. Now. It's cool. And by cool I mean, of course, totally sweet (it's de rigeur, is it not?)

That's it. By the way, if anyone has had any experience with SAD (perhaps the most appropriate acronym EVER), I'd love to hear suggestions as to how to combat it. Thanks. (Especially you, Tryska, the goddess of all things herbal :)

Paul Stagg
10-24-2002, 03:44 PM
LMFAO @ Monstarlipment

You DO have a personality, young man. You do.

We all struggle with the judgements others make regarding us.. our appearance, our intelligence, everything.

Thing is, we must allow that judgement to occur. That's how we build our relationships.. it is the base of them. It's also a big part of how we learn.

Don't be afraid to use your voice. (almost Oprahesque, isn't it?)

_-_v_-_
10-25-2002, 04:11 PM
Paul,

Thanks. What bothers me is not the fact that judging occurs -- I am rational enough to realize that such processes are both inevitable and necessary, for otherwise how could one determine one's friends -- but that, due to illogical and irrational self-appraisal, I have a pervasive fear that whatever judgements I incur will be overwhelming negative. In other words, I see myself as permanently falling short of desirability. Yes, I know, it's irrational; but rarely does reason have anything to do with emotion. Just doesn't work that way.

Regarding everything else...I'm hoping to construct a better chest routine (with B's help, hopefully.) Maybe finally I'll see some appreciable hypetrophy...

In other news...

I still can't find the entrance, the inspritation, the introduction, whatever you wan't to call it, that I need for my work...it's frustrating, to know exactly what you want to say, to know the characters and the plot as well as you know yourself, but to be totally unable to relate anything at all, simply because you lack the first few words, those all-important phrases which establish the context in which the rest of the work exists, which frame it and limit it, so to speak, which affect it in so many important ways. The worlds I have imagined, I am deathly afraid to reveal; not because I doubt their quality but because I doubt my ability to bring them forth in their full beauty. What I fear is, in attempting to create something beautiful, destroying all the beauty it may have once had. Such is the extent to which I do not trust my talents. So frustrating...

"This is my affliction..."
-Eliot, "Eyes That I Last Saw in Tears."

Paul Stagg
10-25-2002, 08:36 PM
I'be been falling short of desirability for 32 years.

Its a struggle we all face, I think, to a certain extent. It's your self esteem, how you see yourself.... and believe it or not, you'll grow into it. I did. (I can SO relate.)

I was staring at a blank word document today. I at least saved it as 'October 25, 2002', but all I got on it was that I coldn't think of where to start.

My advice - start anyway. You can always fix it.

_-_v_-_
10-25-2002, 09:13 PM
Thanks, Paul

What were you writing, btw?

Budiak
10-26-2002, 04:55 PM
Paul, I just learned in that in class, apparently this is art.

Frame it, and label it 'October 25, 2002'

I bet you'd get all kinds of kooks telling you what it means.

Seriously. You'd make millions.

Does anybody here paint? I am thinking of seriously taking up painting. Canvases arent that expensive, and paints arent really that expensive. Plus its just ****ing bomb! I've been painting a bit this year in class and the teacher says that I am improving dramatically as the semester goes on and she really wants me to take more art classes, I'm considering minoring in fine arts.

Jane
10-26-2002, 05:13 PM
How appropriate! I just got back from a painting session. :) It really is one of the most amazing hobbies ever. It relaxes, and yet it takes a lot of focus and effort. It is peaceful, but you find yourself fighting with the colors and the shapes. It is messy enough to reunite us with our inner child and neat enough to create something truly beautiful.

Easels are expensive. :( Good quality brushes are as well, but if you're willing to perphaps build your own easel and buy a limited set of oils, you're set. Landscapes are my personal favorite. What are you looking at for subject matter?

I hope you get into drawing and painting, Budiak. I think that with training, you'd be very good at it.

_-_v_-_
10-26-2002, 06:47 PM
God, Budiak as painter...the possibilities are endless!

Budiak, after three days without sleep, painting...

Budiak, pissed off at stupidity and vapidity, painting...

Budiak, killing zombies, painting...

Budiak, simply as Budiak, painting...

Is it just me? Does anyone else smell a fortune here? :)

Seriously, I'd give it a shot, man. Lord knows if I had even a shred of artistic ability, I'd be painting.

Paul Stagg
10-26-2002, 07:11 PM
I thought about framing my blank document, but I did it at work, so technically, it belongs to my employer.

I'm just writing. Nothing in particular.. sometimes I write to my wife, sometimes I write **** about lifting, sometimes political.. mostly just for my enjoyment.

I read somewhere that a writer writes EVERY day. So, I try. I just recently started trying to really stick to it, and keep everything in one place.

_-_v_-_
10-26-2002, 07:54 PM
It's the best thing you can do, IMO.

That's how I go about it. I set a goal -- say, at least 1000 words per day -- and do my best to meet it. Works wonders.

_-_v_-_
10-27-2002, 07:33 PM
Oh, man. Little behind on my journal updating.

With that said, let the details of my workout be unveiled. Please, please, hold your applause! Really, you're too kind. Really.

Ok. Enough of that.

Chins +80 X 1, +55 X 4, +45 X 4 , +35 X 4

Last set was just for the hell of it. By that time I was dead tired. Ugh. Not fun. But the first three sets felt great.

DB Rows 90 X 5, 85 X 6

In lieu of increasing the weight, I tried to focus on my form a bit, which I thought had been acking somewhat in recent weeks. Was pleased with the results.

Finished with three sets of low cable rows. Back was fried.

Barbell Curls 95 X 4, 85 X 6

I know. I'm so impressive.
grumble, grumble

Hammer Curls 40 X 6, 37.5 X 6

Decent workout, really.

On another note...

Evidently I'm leading some strange sort of double life during my sleep -- you know, out fighting crime and dealing hooligan-tool death to evildoers and all men named Vido -- because I woke up yesterday morning with a giant, swollen knot on the top of my head, like I'd been hit there with a hammer. Yet I HAVEN'T HIT MY HEAD AT ALL RECENTLY! NOT AT ALL! And this morning I woke up with ANOTHER ONE!

Either I've got some weird inexplicable disease (which, according to the doctor I saw today, I don't; but they're checking anyway) or I'm having more fun while I sleep than I have when I'm awake...um, that didn't sound good, did it...

I think I'll just quit while I'm ahead...

By the way, let it be known that Tenacious D is the greatest and best band in the world.

Budiak
10-27-2002, 10:24 PM
Jane, subject matter is mainly what my teacehr tells me, and right now I'm working in acrylic which is a pain in the ol booty. During the summer, if I have some cash, I'd like to get some oils and a couple small canvases to **** around with. I'd like to paint some landscapes, and some architecture as well.

I've also got a lot of idea flying around. And v, that is definitely a fortune you smell. And its just about ready to be carved.

_-_v_-_
10-30-2002, 09:51 PM
Last workout...

DB Shoulder Press 70 X 2.5, 65 X 4, 60 X 8

The 70's were nice; I've been wanting to hit these for quite some time.

DB Lateral Raises 25 x 6, 20 X 10

Man. So impressive. So freaking impressive.

DB Rear Delt Raises: 35 X 8, 35 X 8

My form may not be great, but who cares; I feel strong, and my delts are growing (EMOTICON ALERT!!!! EMOTICON ALERT!!!!) :)

Shrugs 245 X Great Form X10, 265 X OK Form X 8, 275 X Crap Form X 6

Weight: 145

And voila: another awe-inspiring shoulder workout from me, the skinny pale white literary guy who couldn't get a date if his name were Donald Trump.

grumble grumble

Other news...

The only thing worse than having paper's graded is actually having to LOOK at the grade. Really. There's nothing else worse. I'm serious. Well, except for, I don't know, being torn to shreds by rabid badgers to the dulcet tones of Justin Timberlake being assraped by Vido and all five of the Backstreet Boys...simultaneously. Yes, I think that would be worse, actually.

Ok, so there are some things worse than looking at your grades...but not many. If I receive a paper on monday, I'm lucky to know what grade I was given by Wednesday, if not later. The lesson to be learned from this? As always: I'm a moron.

But I did get the grades for which I was hoping, thankfully. As always, I had been worrying over nothing. Again, the lesson to be learned from this? You guessed it: I'm a moron.

And for the record, MY NAME DOES NOT HAVE, NOR HAS IT EVER HAD, ANYTHING TO DO WITH BREASTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had NO IDEA that combination of lines represented breasts in L33t-sp34k. Seriously. I. Had. No. Idea. I just liked the way the name looked...god, that did not come out right, did it? No comments on that little gem, please; it'd be WAY too easy. It's me, the human set-up line! The lesson? Yep. I'm a moron.

Final note for the day: Radiohead is a Good Thing (TM).

All this, from The Moron.

Out.

Alex.V
10-30-2002, 09:53 PM
dood, ur name is titties

_-_v_-_
10-30-2002, 10:02 PM
You're not helping.

Maki Riddington
10-30-2002, 10:03 PM
Radiohead rocks.
I like taking pictures.

_-_v_-_
10-30-2002, 10:07 PM
Water is wet.

ectx
10-31-2002, 01:02 AM
I like oatmeal.
Oatmeal and beer.
hmmmm.

WillKuenzel
10-31-2002, 01:18 AM
eggs, ummm
Kegs and eggs.

With 70lbs DB's your pressing your bodyweight overhead. Pretty impressive.

BTW, does your name mean boobies?

_-_v_-_
10-31-2002, 08:41 AM
I've created a monster...

Thanks for the compliment, btw. My shoulders have inexplicably developed into my best muscle group.

ectx
10-31-2002, 02:00 PM
I've created a monster...

Very appropriate for Halloween. I suggest you name it ThreadDegenerationStein. SpamCula would work too.

Maki Riddington
10-31-2002, 02:17 PM
Lol.

_-_v_-_
10-31-2002, 02:22 PM
Spamcula! Brilliant.

Ectx, for coming up with that I hereby deem you Totally Sweet (TM).

And now for the eagerly anticipated sordid details of yet another scintillating workout! Or not.

Much thanks to B for what so far appears to be a kick-ass chest routine.

Paused BB Bench (after warmups) 165 X 4

BB Bench 175 X 1.5, 155 X 6

Both sets of regular BB were performed with a slow tempo. Felt stronger than I've felt in quite some time.

DB Flies 45 X 6, 40 X 8, 40 X 6

I feel so pathetic.

Skullcrushers 80 X 6, 80 X 6

Finished with two sets of v-grip tricep pressdowns.

I know. My skulls are pathetic. So are my triceps. Shoot me.

More random writing coming later...as for now...gotta jet...

Out.

ectx
11-01-2002, 09:59 AM
why thank you kind sir.

How'd you like the paused bench?

_-_v_-_
11-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Paused bench is quite cool. More than quite cool, actually. Very Cool. Exceedingly Cool. Astoundingly Cool.

I liek it!

Budiak
11-01-2002, 03:52 PM
Superfluously cool.

_-_v_-_
11-02-2002, 04:01 PM
Oh, man...

Worst. Workout. Ever.

Seriously.

A fitting cap to the week...

I'm not even going to detail it. I don't want to think about it. Or anything else, for that matter.

I can't even write here...not yet...not now...Maybe later tonight I'll try to fill this empty space with something worthwhile...

Budiak
11-03-2002, 04:08 AM
'Bunnies bunnies BUNNIES!!
THEY"RE ALL DEAD!' Cried the fox.

Then I shot him and ****ed his mother. He never killed another bunny.

_-_v_-_
11-03-2002, 08:43 AM

Budiak
11-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Just trying to stoke the coals of creativity, man.

_-_v_-_
11-03-2002, 02:09 PM
:).

Not to mention the funniest post I've read all day...

ectx
11-03-2002, 02:21 PM
I hereby declare this journal manic...slightly schizophrenic even, but ne'ertheless totally cool.

_-_v_-_
11-03-2002, 03:13 PM
Hey! How dare you call this manic! HOW DARE YOU!! WHAT DO YOU KNOW!!!!...

you're right, it is, it's manic ****, it isn't cool, I don't deserve it, I suck...

:) jk.

Thanks.

ectx
11-03-2002, 03:33 PM
zachary

_-_v_-_
11-03-2002, 03:36 PM
[Ralph Wiggum Voice] My cat's breath smells like cat food[/Ralph Wiggum Voice]

Budiak
11-03-2002, 04:21 PM
Oh....we dont want to get into a quote war, now do we?

_-_v_-_
11-03-2002, 05:51 PM
Hey, per Ectx it's all schizo, so why not?

Viva thread degeneration! Viva!

ectx
11-03-2002, 06:03 PM
Hey, per ectx it's all schizo...

you forgot manic and totally cool.

Viva!
Spamcula strikes back.

_-_v_-_
11-03-2002, 07:46 PM
And by cool you mean totally sweet, of course.

ectx
11-03-2002, 07:48 PM
Of course. Just respecting the trademark.

_-_v_-_
11-03-2002, 07:51 PM
It's de rigeur around here, the total sweetness of cool...

Jane
11-03-2002, 08:08 PM
My nose is bleeding.

Pup
11-03-2002, 08:13 PM
*hands jane a q-tip*

_-_v_-_
11-03-2002, 08:18 PM
A q-tip for a bloody nose?

Isn't that...ugh...I mean, that just seems uncomfortable and wrong....

[thread degeneration]Freud would have a field day [/thread degeneration]

ectx
11-03-2002, 10:19 PM
A q-tip for a bloody nose?

It's de rigeur around here.

Budiak
11-03-2002, 10:57 PM
Isnt de Rigeur a type of sandwich? I remember the good old days, we'd bring a few de Rigeurs out to the park out by old man McHallan's place. We'd sit under the old spruce trees and eat our De Rigeur with ,a vanilla phosphate, with lemon popsicles as ice. I made love for the first time under that tree. Marian D'Monaco. A beautiful girl, still awkward in her adolescence, legs growing faster than the rest of her body, underdeveloped breasts still peaking, waiting to blossom. But holy **** could she suck dick. I blew that **** all over her face, man. Damn. I felt bad for doing it at the time, since she'd nothing to eat all day...until then.

But I'll never forget the De Rigeur. Crisp, yet moist. And the flavor...like a sunbathed morning, skipping a young boy's dreams over the first dew of spring, or blowing a wad on a girl you probably shouldn't be with.

_-_v_-_
11-03-2002, 11:00 PM
I get the distinct feeling that I'm being mocked...

To quote powerman,

You sir are obviously unaware of what we so eloquently call the

NINJA FREAKING BEATDOWN!!!!!

Budiak
11-03-2002, 11:02 PM
*looks blankly at V

_-_v_-_
11-03-2002, 11:26 PM
*is LONG since used to blank looks*

ectx
11-03-2002, 11:41 PM
*smirks, and takes a bite out of his "de Rigeur"*

****edit...You realize I just deemed your journal worthy of my 500th post, right?

_-_v_-_
11-03-2002, 11:44 PM
*takes ectx's de Rigeur and beats him with it*

ectx
11-03-2002, 11:46 PM
read my edit, Yo.

_-_v_-_
11-03-2002, 11:51 PM
Whoa...just after I deemed it worthy of my 250th post...

Thanks, man :) Glad to know someone out there is deeming me worthy of something...

_-_v_-_
11-04-2002, 07:47 PM
Shoulder workout...

DB Shoulder Press 70 X 3, 65 X 6, 65 X 4

Very cool. And yes, totally sweet.

(not a single de rigeur comment, you hear me? not a one!)

DB Lateral Raises 25 X 8, 20 X 10

I am the god of delts! Bow to my awesome strength!

Or not...

DB Rear Delt Raises 35 X 8, 35 X 8

Whatever.

BB Shrugs 275 X 8, 295 X 6

Good workout, all things considered...

[OBVIOUS ALERT!!! OBVIOUS ALERT!!!]

Random musical observations of the day:
1) OK Computer is a good CD.
2) Tenacious D is the Greatest and Best Band in the World.

Ok, now that that's out of the way...

I wonder...is companionship, or, at the very least, mere company, as necessary to life as air and water? And if it is, would I trade the solitude which is my creative inspiration for the interpersonal interaction which is both spiritually- and intellectually-numbing?

I don't know...

I can write now...and am actively writing...living, I guess, will have to wait...

Budiak
11-04-2002, 08:11 PM
V, I think that to answer your question, you'd have to define whether or not mental health is paramount or equal in importance to physical health. Lonely people are usually nuts, like mountain men who dont have a dog or a pillow to ****.

Seriously now, I have always believed that mental health is most important, the brain being the most important organ, and the psyche being the most important..uhh....organ. If you cant think straight or you're depressed, everything falls to the wayside, including need for food, water, sunlight, pornography, etc. Though if you're happy and upbeat, you are a billion trillion times more likely to take care of your physical needs.

_-_v_-_
11-04-2002, 08:32 PM
I agree with your belief in the *general* primacy of mental health.
What concerns me is not so much mental health -- I am perceptive enough to realize that a lack thereof is not a Good Thing -- but that which poor mental health often causes -- a severing of ties, a loneliness of the soul. Certain mental issues may cause such solitude -- in my case, they most certainly do -- but that does not mean such solitude cannot exist without mental health issues. What I am worried about is the dual affect of such a life, how it both inspires creation and prevents social interaction. Mental health questions aside, I wonder if my lack of any and all social abilities is not somehow damaging my psyche, poisoning it, so to speak. I do not socialize; I do not congregate; I do not make friends. When I am troubled, I have left myself with nowhere to turn but to my writing.

There is a long, long story behind all of this. There is a reason why I'm now the way I am, why I'm unable to establish the social connections that most everyone depends upon. There is blame to lay. And it is all on me.

ectx
11-04-2002, 09:26 PM

DB Shoulder Press 70 X 3, 65 X 6, 65 X 4

Very cool. And yes, totally sweet.

(not a single de rigeur comment, you hear me? not a one!)

You realize that's like a dare?
*Hands tits a de rigeur to eat post workout*

As for the rest. Have you ever considered that by writing you're interacting in ways you wouldn't otherwise? Communication is an amazing thing. It's multisensorial. It occurs on many levels. I'd almost say that you seem to replace interpersonal communication with written. Not a bad thing. Considering that ultimately you're communicating...it means you're not alone. When I was your age I wrote for similar reasons. Writing was a conduit that helped me develop my interpersonal skills. I still write. It still helps. Just a thought.

*takes a bite out of his own de rigeur*

Maki Riddington
11-04-2002, 10:54 PM
Great work V keep it up!

_-_v_-_
11-04-2002, 11:03 PM
Thanks, Maki.

Ect,

I realize that in I have sublimated my desire for communication into my writing. What I am fear is that I have done so for the wrong reasons: specifically, underlying psychological issues which I am too damn stubborn to face. Certainly there is nothing wrong with solitude or the writing with which I fill it; I would trade neither for anything in the world. What is wrong is that I have made it impossible for myself to establish friendships or to connect with other people, particularly women whom I find intriguing or attractive. Writing is not what will bridge this gap that have created between myself and others; writing is just what may keep me sane until such time as I myself can bridge it.

And for the last time: MY NAME HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT! :) Come on, I can't even TALK to women! You think I'd feel comfortable putting anything vaguely-sexual in my name?

That's it. *Takes Ectx's de rigeur.*

All your de rigeur are belong to us.

yes, I know, I'm lame...

WillKuenzel
11-04-2002, 11:56 PM
<--- Is hungry.

*asks for a de rigeur

*waits patiently singing "...couldn't remeber the greatest song in the world, this is just a tribute..."

Writing for me was always a way to release my demons. Still is actually. Whether it be poetry, essays, or creative short stories ranging from horror to sci-fi to daily observations it was as much a hobby and release as lifting.

If it helps and you enjoy it, why spend so much time critiquing it? If you found the reason you write and could change it, do you think it would make you a better person and would you be willing to give up writing to alter it?

Enuff of that brainiac stuff, get back to training.

Budiak
11-05-2002, 02:47 AM
Enough of this 'pity me' ****. Do you or do you not have my phone number? I'm nuts, I *might* just drive up to that ****hole you call a college and hang out with you sometime.

And lay your hand off of my de Rigeur. Its kosher I had it made special.

So whats it gonna be, bitch? Is it mountain man ****ing a goat or Dude with a rack for a name hanging out with TEH B??

HUH??

*Waits patiently, singing "Wonder boyyy, what is the secret of your powerrrs...

No answer I see. You...

As for your writing to sublimate your blah blah blah (enter dictionary page 147 here), I'd say that you should absolutely never give up writing. It sounds sick, but writing keeps your mind open to new ideas. Exhaust a style, create another. Delve, man, DELVE! Gauguin, Van Gogh, Caravaggio,Toulouse Lautrecke, Mary Cassatt, Orson Welles. What is the common thread? All great artists, all died old, cold, and alone. Dont worry about it, and never sacrifice greatness for popularity. The popular will always be forgotten, but the great will live forever.
IE-Pink Floyd was not super popular during the 70s, it was after they were a defunct group of old men that they became huge stars.

I dont know what I'm getting at, but how about this: You have enormous talent, and if you were to, say, get a girlfriend or something and stop writing, you are robbing the world of your genius. There is an equilibrium, of course. There can be an allowance of social interaction AND creative writing activity, its not all or nothing, dizzawg. I've gone through the same type of sould searching, actually. I was going to either stay in San Francisco and keep making films with my company, and never see my friends again(potentially), or I'd move back to Sacramento and be happy, and perhaps not make a career in film. It all turned out in my favor, but there was that question in my head, constantly.

As for your problem with making friends...NOTHING is going to make you friends except going out and...hanging out. What do you do after class? Go home, write? Monstarbate a few times? Sounds familiar. Do you ever talk to people in class?

Heres my three step solution that I recently invented. Its teh Budiak's friendship factory system. Basically, stay up for 4 days straight. Write, paint, do whatever, but be creative with your time awake.
step two, go to class, you will have near zero inhibition left. Talk to whoever you want. Hot girls, cool guys, talk back to the teacher, do whatever the **** you want, baby! You're INSANE!

Step three- once you've made your contacts while in a temporary state of madness, get some sleep. Turns out that you were actually talking to those people! Go to class and talk to your new friends. Invite them over for some Warhammer or AD&D, or just a fresh cup or carrot juice. It doesnt matter baby, you've got FRIENDS!

V, if you wanna know how exactly I got to the point where I am right now (that is, thinking I'm certifiable), drop me a PM. Its actually a good read.

Paul Stagg
11-05-2002, 08:59 AM
B -

You are a genius.

That is all.

_-_v_-_
11-06-2002, 08:54 AM
Thanks, B.

If it came across as wondering whether to give up writing, I apologize; that was never my intent. Nor did I mean it to sound self-pitying. Instead I merely wanted to take a step back from myself, so to speak, and analyze the behaviors which have put me in my current position.

As for the staying up all night, man...Put it this way: I'm dead at 11:00 at night. Just dead. Nonfunctional. A blathering moron. Part of this is because I get up at six, whether I want to or not (just cant sleep any longer.)

_-_v_-_
11-06-2002, 06:59 PM
Oh, man....what a day...

Long, long, long, long, long, long....We're talking long like a Ken Burns documentary on the mating habits of the bumblebee narrated by Ben Stein. Long like a round of golf with an arthritic octagenarian with a malfunctioning walker. Long like watching Anna Nicole Smith forced to read War and Peace.

Long.

Managed to squeeze a workout in, though...which is definitely a Good Thing (TM.)

Squats: (Warm-up sets not detailed) 275 X 6, 300 X 2

Very nice. Good form, perfect depth, etc... I was pumped. Nothing reeks of masculinity quite like a good set of squats.

Paused-squats: 245 X 6, 245 X 4

Again, felt good. I'm surprised my legs held up so well, what with all the football I've been playing lately.

SLDLs 245 X 6, 245 X 6

Long story on these. Don't feel like going into it. Ugh.

Finished with three sets of leg curls, three sets of leg extensions, and some calf work.

I lowered the volume a bit today to compensate for all the football I've been playing and the biking/walking I've been doing. Huge campuses suck sometimes.

Anyway...

Time for some classic pseudo-random ramblings...

Finally finished that article...and it turned out well, I think...I worked on it all weekend, all day yesterday, all day today...

So glad to have finished it. It was one of the hardest things I've ever written. I showed it to my professor. He was floored.

Sorry. That's as close to bragging as I allow myself to come.

In my CD player:
Radiohead, "The Bends."
Modest Mouse, "The Moon and Antarctica."

What I am reading:
"T.S. Eliot: An Imperfect Life."
Flat-out incredible book. If you are at all interested in the life of one of the foremost poets/writers/thinkers of the modern period, get it. Utterly amazing.

That's about it for now.

Oh, and AIM = Voodoo3678, should anyone want to hit me up online.

_-_v_-_
11-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Note to self: when cooking salmon, VENTILATE ROOM.

WillKuenzel
11-06-2002, 10:39 PM
lol, how were you cooking it? Personally I like it grilled, but then again I like everything grilled. Not done, pretty much raw, but cooked just a little on the grill.

It was one of the hardest things I've ever written. I showed it to my professor. He was floored. That's awesome man! Its so good to feel the praise sometimes. Let yourself bask in it a little. Sounds like you've earned.

_-_v_-_
11-06-2002, 10:44 PM
I use a grill-skillet for the stove (I live in a Univ. apartment, thus no true grill.) The smell lingered for DAYS.

ectx
11-06-2002, 11:40 PM
Hey...I grilled some salmon tonight too! I use a Foreman Grill...which should be called the Bachelor's Grill...really, that little sucker is great. My apartment does stink a bit too, but I love Salmon! Well worth the stench. WOEEEEEEEEE an entire post where I didn't degenerate your journal....that just doesn't feel right.

BOOBIES!
There. Much better.

_-_v_-_
11-06-2002, 11:58 PM
It is worth it, true... but that smell! Worse than tuna!

WillKuenzel
11-07-2002, 12:43 AM
Foreman Grills rock. We weren't supposed to have those in our college apartment though, but we did. Can't always go out for a steak.

What exactly do you mean by paused squats? Do you just take a little extra time doing in between reps?

Jane
11-07-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by ectx
WOEEEEEEEEE....BOOBIES!
Oh my god.

The salmon was Kimpy salmon.

ectx
11-07-2002, 02:50 AM
No thread degeneration would be complete without some Kimpamatopia.

_-_v_-_
11-07-2002, 08:20 AM
LMAO.

Paused sqauts are a little something I "borrowed" from Belial's routine. Basically, you squat and pause for three or four seconds when you hit legal depth. Then explode upward. Rinse. Repeat.

My legs hurt.

_-_v_-_
11-07-2002, 08:54 PM
My legs hurt.

I was wrong. They REALLY hurt.

Ouch.

Decent chest day today, all things considered. Ever had one of those days where so many things go wrong that it's comical? Yep. That's it.

Ouch.

Paused BB Bench (after warmups): 170 X 2.5

These are brutal.

BB Bench: 180 X 0.5, 155 X 6, 155 X 5

I hate my chest.

DB Flies 45 X 6, 40 X 8, 40 X 8

Skulls 85 X 4, 80 X 6

I know. I'm pathetic. Shoot me.

Finished with two sets of v-grip pushdowns.

Weight: 144.

Other ramblings...

Madame Bovary is, except for the poetic quality of Flaubert's writing, a hilariously bad text. Really. It's awful. I have now lost all respect for the French...

Wait.

Respect...the French....respect....french.......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

*wipes tears from eyes*

Okay.

Writing goes well, very well....I am not pleased with it, but I don't yet abominate it. That's about the best for which I can hope.

Music Today:
Sigur Ros is...odd...

The Dismemberment Plan is totally sweet. And by totally sweet I mean cool.

(Didn't see that one coming, didja?)

Budiak
11-08-2002, 06:06 PM
I think its funny that you just now find out how that tripe commentary on the French Bourgoise(sp) is bad.

Of course, they'll say that its the translation, etc etc...but its crap.

_-_v_-_
11-08-2002, 07:04 PM
Hey, I would have found out eariler had I READ it earlier. There was a reason I was avoiding it...

Damn class requirements.

I agree. [Mike Myers' Scottish Voice] It's crap [/Mike Myers' Scottish Voice.]

ectx
11-09-2002, 06:47 PM
Tits,
Read it in HS...all I remember is being really horny and thinking Madame Bovary's such a B*tch...I want her...NOW! But yeah...French....bwahahahahaha.

<------is passive aggressive. (in reference to not giving up joke with name)

_-_v_-_
11-09-2002, 07:46 PM
Bovary is truly a bitch. No * needed, there. 100% bitchness. That's it.

And the exculpatory arguments for her bitchness are bunk.

<---------------------is a total moron for so blithely choosing such a stupid nickname....

ectx
11-10-2002, 12:47 PM
Nah, the nickname is ace. And Madame Bovary is a slut. A French slut at that. I wonder if she shaves her underarms?

I almost feel that Flaubert was mocking his readers when he'd make excuses for her

_-_v_-_
11-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Kind of like my theory that some great authors include "metaphors" and "symbols" just to screw with their readers, to f*ck with them from beyond the grave, so to speak.

Somewhere Fitzgerald is laughing his ass off...

ectx
11-11-2002, 01:04 AM
Yep. I just know TS Eliot is laughing his ass off because he required us to translate stuff and look up a million literary allusions for Wasteland.

I can just see him going on [English accent]Shmucks...haha...'I grow old' you bet your literary criticizing ass you do...you'll die before you realize that the collective titles of each allusion spell out SUCKER....bwahahaha[/English accent]

_-_v_-_
11-11-2002, 11:10 PM
LMAO at Eliot, the penitent and flagellent par excellence, finding humor in heaven of all places. :)

E- if you get the chance, pick up T.S. Eliot: An Imperfect Life, by Lyndall Gordon: most insightful work on the subject I've ever read.

Some random workout info...

Shoulder Press 70 X 3.5, 65 X 6, 65 X 5

I liek shoulders!

DB Lateral Raises 25 X 8, 20 X 8, 20 X 8

How unremarkable.

Woo-hoo!

Finished with some barbell shrugs and a bit of ab work.

Weight: Same (a HYOOOOGE 143-144)

Music: Dismemberment Plan...At the Drive-In....and, of course, And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead (greatest name in rock history.)

And now, as ectx's so eloquent phrases it, "Random Sh!t":

For some reason I find myself turning to poetry lately, a medium about as appropriate to me as the phrase "normal heterosexual male" to Michael Jackson. Too easy, I know; but I couldn't resist.
Or how about: the phrase "victory" to the French Military. Still too easy. Ah, f*ck it. Anyway. I'm far from the prototypical poet; I shy from evocative descriptions, over-wrought similes, gushing emotion, treacly pronouncements, etc... My poetry is different: clinical, controlled, precise, calculated, etc... In Eliot and Dante, and partly in Lafourgue and Baudelaire, I have found inspiration, a philosophical model to follow, a particular idiom (shades of Monty Python with that phrase) to appropriate when appropriate (how's THAT for a turn of phrase :)

Suffice to say I've been writing something different from anything I've ever written. And it sucks, quite frankly. Oh well. It's been fun. Or excruciating painful. Depends on the moment, actually.

It is quite the feeling to be walking alone to some unimportant class, as the people pass by on either side, chattering away their days, and have flashes of poetry -- the right words in the right phrases, images in perfect contrasts, the rhyme there when it needs to be, gone when it needs to be, the meter free-flowing yet precisely-calibrated. nothing extraneous or unnecessary, just a single momentary distillation of something beautiful as yet unknown -- explode, apropros of nothing in particular, into your consciousness. I live for that moment. I only wish I had the time to craft my writing here to my normal exacting standards and depict my experiences more clearly, more intelligently, more accurately...Oh well. For now, this'll have to do.

WillKuenzel
11-12-2002, 12:32 AM
It is quite the feeling to be walking alone to some unimportant class, as the people pass by on either side, chattering away their days, and have flashes of poetry -- the right words in the right phrases, images in perfect contrasts, the rhyme there when it needs to be, gone when it needs to be, the meter free-flowing yet precisely-calibrated. nothing extraneous or unnecessary, just a single momentary distillation of something beautiful as yet unknown -- explode, apropros of nothing in particular, into your consciousness. I live for that moment. I only wish I had the time to craft my writing here to my normal exacting standards and depict my experiences more clearly, more intelligently, more accurately...Oh well. For now, this'll have to do.
Do you carry a small pad with you for those times when you just the notion that something sounds right. When I was writing music and songs I would have to have a small notebook with me and write down every idea otherwise I'd forget it all. It may look kind of funny but its worth it not to lose those ideas.

_-_v_-_
11-12-2002, 08:55 AM
If I have to, I write it down on whatever I can -- books, paper, napkins, my hand, arm, leg, etc... Generally, though, all it takes is a bit of concentration to cement it in my mind until I can sit down and explore it fully.

_-_v_-_
11-13-2002, 06:24 PM
Brief update for now...have a chem midterm tonight for which I must study furiously...

Squats (warmups not listed): 275 x 6, 305 X 2, 315 X 1 (!)

315. I've never squatted that before. I still can't believe. It just doesn't look right. 315. Three fifteen. I am stoked, excited, elated, ecstatic, joyful, utterly astounded...can't you tell? I mean, does not my writing just scream enthusiasm?

Sorry, I'm a bit overly sarcastic today. Anyway. These were good. Very good. Classic Good Things (TM.) Depth and strength was fine on all sets. I even felt like I had one or two more reps in me @ 315!

Paused Squats: 245 x 6, 245 X 4

These are hard.

Yes, I know: I am the master of the obvious. Tune in tomorrow when I reveal my startling conclusions on water (hint: it's not dry!)

The rest of the workout was simply leg curls, leg extensions, and some calf work. I dropped SLDL's today out of respect for my aching lower back.

Random ****:

Chem test (and my A in the class as well, most likely) over. Done. Finito. Thank God.

Hear that? That's the sound of my grade being ripped to shreds by wild badgers and thrown into a den of overly-aroused hyenas. Or so I suspect, anyway. We'll see how it turns out.

Moving right along...

I have really nothing else to report: no parties, no escapades, no drunken revelery, no amusing friends, no annoying acquaintances, no entertaining anecdotes, etc... I am not living; I am merely marking time.

_-_v_-_
11-13-2002, 11:14 PM
315! Bow before me, ye low peoples, like wheat beneath the winds! Bow before my might! Bow....

Ok, sorry. I got a little carried away :)

WillKuenzel
11-13-2002, 11:19 PM
:bow: :bow:

nice job man, feels pretty nice on those traps don't it

_-_v_-_
11-13-2002, 11:24 PM
Yeah. You might say that :)

ectx
11-13-2002, 11:49 PM

Random ****:

I expect royalties to be deposited in my paypal account.

Nice squat fool. Now I'm gonna have to hate you....nah. How could I hate someone with such excellent literary taste?...just can't be done.

*edited because I'm an idiot who can't spell. Now shuddup!

_-_v_-_
11-15-2002, 04:01 PM
Ectx...thanks. And Creatyv Spelyng is cule!
You read To the Lighthouse, by the way? Incredible book. Also, have you read House of Leaves? If not, buy it now. I'm not kidding. Buy it. Read it. Worship it. It's inutterably, ineffably, indescribably (and redundantly, apparently) cool.

To begin...much thanks to B for a truly kick-ass chest routine...

Paused Bench 170 X 4

These are brutal, yes, but they've done wonders for my sticking point...My explosiveness has been increasing weekly...

At this point, [Clint Eastwood Voice] I was feelin' lucky...[/Clint Eastwood Voice]

BB Bench 180 X 1, 185 X 1

I am amazed by how easy these "heavy" singles were. HUGE PR'S for me. My bench had been stagnating for months with my old routine... I am stoked. Really. Can't you tell?

Slow BB Bench 160 X 5, 160 X 3

I was shot at this point.

Flies 45 X 6, 40 X 6

Nothing spectacular, I know. I'm puny.

Close-grip BP 135 X 7, 145 X 3

I thought the 135 would be hard...instead I was amazed by how easy it was.

A Good Thing (TM.)

Finished with two sets of skulls.

Random Sh!t *Makes donation to ectx's paypal account*:

Tonight I think I will have much to say here...yet for now I am unable to write. "And how should I begin..."

Alex.V
11-15-2002, 04:21 PM
Glad to see you getting results with it. :)

Very glad.

Budiak
11-16-2002, 10:00 AM
Budiak: Dude, V, we're only like 125 miles away from eachother!

V: What are you getting at?

Budiak: Its not that far of a drive, man!

V: I'm not following...

Budiak: Dude, what are you doing tomorrow? I'm throwing this mad bomb ass party!

V: Who...wha?

Budiak: Come to my party so you dont have to sit alone in your hovel of a shack tenament and rot to death of solitude.

V: I'm so lonely...

*click*

Uhhh...Good job on those squats, duder. I havent hit 315 yet. Maybe this week though...

I'll congratulate you with some ice cream, or some other fresh, ice cold dairy product!
Or a delightful beef basket!

Jane
11-16-2002, 12:11 PM
"No entertaining anecdotes..."

I have a huge collection of anecdotes, none of which are entertaining. The point is to have them in general, methinks. Get out there and make some, anecdotes aren't handed to one on a silver platter.

_-_v_-_
11-16-2002, 03:31 PM
But how nice it would be if they were!

[tuxedoed waiter]: Yes, monsieur, here is the rousing tale of antarctic survival you requested....would you care for anything else? Perhaps some ramatic accounts of dangerous polar bear attacks fended off with frostbitten hands? Or maybe a half-naked swim through freezing water in a raging blizzard to reach the ship you contacted with a radio jury-rigged out of wires from your watch and the metal fillings from your teath? No? Enjoy.

_-_v_-_
11-16-2002, 03:32 PM
And I resent the implications, you zombie-killing bastard! (Budiak, not Jane :) I'm not THAT bad...am I?

Let me see how my research paper turns out. If I can get that finished ahead of schedule, then there's a good chance I'll be able to make it up there. Thanks, man.

_-_v_-_
11-18-2002, 06:38 PM
Note to self: four hours of football on Saturday, followed by 1.5 hours of football on Sunday, followed by lifting today, is NOT a Good Thing (TM).

I am more exhausted than...I'm so exhausted I can't even come up with a decent analogy!

Just shoot me. Please. Put me out of my misery.

Today's oh-so-stomach-pleasing workout:

DB Shoulder Press 70 X 4, 65 X 6, 65 X 4

I was feeling a bit shaky at this point.

That was the understatement of the century.

Actually, I'm not even going to detail the rest of the workout. It was average: no great improvements, no great losses. I was just pleased that, feeling as badly as I did, I still somehow managed to hit a PR on shoulder press.

Yep. I'm pleased. Can't you tell? I mean, doesn't my writing just scream "LOOK AT ME, I'M ECSTATIC!!!!!" ? No? Hmm...guess I'll have to work on that...

[/sarcasm]

I repeat: Just shoot me. Now.

Ugh.

Weight: Same.

Off for some much needed food and sleep.

ectx
11-18-2002, 07:16 PM
And Creatyv Spelyng is cule!
You read To the Lighthouse, by the way? Incredible book. Also, have you read House of Leaves? If not, buy it now. I'm not kidding. Buy it. Read it. Worship it. It's inutterably, ineffably, indescribably (and redundantly, apparently) cool.

and by cool, you mean totally sweet. Still haven't gotten to do much reading. I'm drowning in articles right now. First chance I get though, I'll be buying both. Now eat dammit, eat.

_-_v_-_
11-18-2002, 07:41 PM
and by cool, you mean totally sweet

You see? That's how tired I was: I forgot what's DE RIGEUR around here :)

Budiak
11-19-2002, 03:37 AM
Thanksgiving weekend-friday, after we're all stuffed- QUAKEGIVING!

Its our annual fat ass LAN party after thanksgiving. Admission is a plate of leftovers or homemade biscuits. Computers of all shapes and sized welcome, as long as you:

A: Are NOT a trendy bitch.
B: like playing games, both computer and console(we have almost everything).
C: Dont like touching people.

Hope to see you there, gringo.

_-_v_-_
11-19-2002, 08:47 AM
Sweet!

What versions of Quake? All?

Kick-ass.

_-_v_-_
11-21-2002, 03:44 PM
*Dusts off journal*

Again...B's chest workout is totally sweet. And by totally sweet I mean cool. (Didn't see THAT reversal coming, didja? Nope. I'm not predictable or anything. Not at all. Pure 100% Creativity (TM) here!

Paused BB Bench 175 X 5

These are hard. But good.

BB Bench 200 X 0, 190 X 1

Bottomed out on the 200, otherwise I would have had it. I think the PR in paused bench ruined my strength at my sticking point (just off the chest...) Oh well. I may simply go to heavy doubles and triples for a couple of weeks before trying another single, though I know I can get 200 if I just take it easy on the paused bench. We'll see how it goes.

BB Bench 160 X 5, 160 X 5,

Slow and stressful...much like my social life, actually...

Incline BB Bench 155 X 4, 155 X 4

I was bored. I was stupid. Ergo, I was incline benching.
Upper chest, baby, hear I come!

Flies 40 X 6

Just shoot me. Please.

Close-grip Bench: 140 X 6, 140 X 5

Again, just shoot me. I'm ashamed.

Finished with two sets of cable pushdowns.

Random Sh!t: *makes donation to ectx's paypal account*

Will detail later. Class beckons .

*grumble*

Budiak
11-21-2002, 04:11 PM
Duder, there is nothing wrong with 140lbs on close grips. Thats not bad at all.

As for Quake-giving, thats right. Quake 2, Action Quake 2, Quake 3, Quake 3 team arena. Not to mention the myriad other titles that will be involved in the throw down. Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Battlefield:1942, Starcraft: Brood War, Warcraft 3, Age of Empires 2:Age of Kings.

Sky's the limit.

So what'ya say, DAWG???

_-_v_-_
11-21-2002, 04:36 PM
Holy sh!t, that's a lot of gaming goodness...

How many people?

ectx
11-21-2002, 04:53 PM
Holy sh!t, that's a lot of gaming goodness...

How many people?

Stop being a little xenophobic biatch and go down and visit teh Budiak. Do this or I will be forced to increase the royalties on your use of Random Sh!t™.

_-_v_-_
11-21-2002, 08:32 PM
Xenophobic biatch?

Damn. That's a sweet insult. I gotta remember that one.

I'm certainly going to try to get up there. There's the little matter of a 15 page paper...but I should have most of it done by then.

Budiak
11-21-2002, 08:37 PM
How many people? Ummm...maybe around 10, if its a good turnout. A ten person home-based LAN is pretty damn good. We've had as many as 16 show up before, but thats to the point where the apartment smells like man, there are too many network problems than its worth, and the only thing left at the end of the weekend is a huge ****ing mess and another stain; origin unknown.

It would be AWESOME if you could come. We got Vice City, we got Godzilla melee, we got Super Smash Brothers! We got ****in Quake, we got PORNO! PORNO PORNO PORNO!

Everything. You have to come, ****ass. There's a 7-11 right down the street too, so you can help up add to mount Cupulus!

_-_v_-_
11-23-2002, 03:45 PM
Ugh.

Just ugh.

Horrible day... I'm just glad I managed to get a decent workout in.

Chins: BW X 6, +45 X 4, +55 X 2, +70 X 1, +45 X 3

At this point, I was dead. Just dead.

DB Row 95 X 4, 90 X 5, 90 X 4

Parallel-grip pulldowns 160 X 6, 150 X 8

Barbell Curl 90 X 4, 85 X 4

Hammer Curl 42.5 X 5, 40 X 5

I HATE dark, cloudy days...probably a touch of SAD [most appropriately/stupidly named disorder EVER], I know, but oh well...

I know the format of my journal has deteriorated...but I simply don't care. Tonight I may write something more here; for now, though, a fifteen page paper beckons.

College is Fun!

Budiak
11-23-2002, 05:47 PM
Formal journal formats are for phonies and uppity bitches.

_-_v_-_
11-25-2002, 07:14 PM
F*ck. F*ckity f*ck f*ck. F*ck.

And yes, F*CK!

I go to lift. I'm ready to hit legs hard, which I couldn't do the week before due to lingering soreness from football. I'm psyched. I'm pumped. I'm ready.

And what happens? I f*cking pull an adductor...

You might say I was pissed. Yeah. You might say that. Kind of like how you might say Hitler was not that great a guy.

F*cking understatement of the century...

And I was WARMING UP, for god's sake! A measly 225!

Histrionics aside...I'm not sure it's a true pull...probably just a light strain. It just spasmed uncontrollably mid-set. That didn't feel good. Trust me on this.

Damn. No legs till next week, at the least.

I did shoulders instead. What a letdown that was...

DB Shoulder Press 70 X 4 65 X 5, 65 X 5

Note to self: Spotters who do not listen to you are Bad People and should be scented with pherenomes and thrown naked into a dark pit full of rabid badgers. That, or killed. Yeah. Or that.

DB Lateral Raies 25 X 8, 20 X 8, 20 X 8

(Insert random self-deprecating comment here)

(See above)

Barbell Shrugs 225 X 12, 265 X 8, 265 X 8

Whatever.

Did some calf work too. Why? Because I felt like it. Yeah. So there.

Random Sh!t:

Must eat first. Will write after dinner.

ectx
11-25-2002, 10:47 PM
I now officially proclaim you self depricating biotch.

some days suck, some don't...today sucked...tomorrow won't. It's the universal law of workout parity foo'. Now eat.

btw, nice use of repitition at the opening of your post.

Franjipani
11-26-2002, 12:55 AM
Note to self: Spotters who do not listen to you are Bad People and should be scented with pherenomes and thrown naked into a dark pit full of rabid badgers. That, or killed. Yeah. Or that.

*lol* consider yourself lucky no iron hit your head !!! Where were you when Accipiter needed your advice ???? :p

btw...sorry to hear about your pull :(

WillKuenzel
11-26-2002, 08:18 AM
Sucks to hear about your pull. I've pulled mine before too and it still hasn't really gotten 100% better. The adductors are kind of tough to get to heal up. I know it sounds stupid and will looks even worse but warmup first on one of the... *sigh* adductors machines. I get some really weird looks doing it but believe me it really helps to warm up and loosen that muscle up. Also try some walking lunges.

If its just a slight strain it could be better in a couple of days of rest. When my was hurting so bad I wrapped in with an Ace bandage and that helped too. It was kind of tight and kinda rub the groin area the wrong way if it wasn't properly done but it helped.

Rest is the best thing but if you insist on training with it (like I do), ice for the first 48 hours and then a heating pad after it. Wrap it and you should be good to go.

_-_v_-_
11-27-2002, 06:58 PM
-ectx: That's self-deprecating XENOPHOBIC biotch to you!

-Franj- Ye gods! A girl, in my humble journal! To what do I owe this unexpected pleasure? :) Seriously, thanks much for the sympathy. I need it

-Home- It seems to be just a slight sprain. I had hurt it playing football a few months ago, and subsequent weekly football games didn't help too much... I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow.

Today:

In retrospect, I probably should have waited until tomorrow to do chest, given that I trained shoulders on monday....but I couldn't wait. I needed the workout, and I wanted to give my legs another day of rest before I tried training them again. Ergo: chest.

I did heavy singles first this time...which was a Bad Idea (TM). Thus, they will not be detailed...

Paused BB 170 X 4

I was very surprised here. Given my poor performance in the singles, I thought my strength here would decrease, but it did not. Cool

These, however, did decrease:
BB Bench 160 X 4, 160 X 4

Did some DB flies.

Worked on 4-inch tricep lockout on BB Bench. I like this. Alot.

CGBP 140 X 8, 140 X 4

Finished with skulls...

Random Sh!t:

Must eat first. Then write. Yes. Food good. Writing bad. Eat.

*grunts*

_-_v_-_
11-28-2002, 03:34 PM
Thanksgiving.

And what better way to celebrate then pounding out a set of sqauts!

Squats (warmups not detailed): 275 X 6, 315 X 2, 325 X 1 (!!!)

Yep. I was thankful for these. You might say that. Yeah. You might. And yes, they were to a legal depth.

Paused Squats 245 X 6, 245 X 4

These are hard. Yeah. Hard.

I know. Master of the understatement. Sue me.

SLDLs: 225 X 8, 245 X 6

I took it easy on these, given that I haven't done them in a few weeks.

Belial Insanse Leg Press Strip Set:

A Lot of Weight X Pain

Strip Sets are Fun!

*drip, drip *

Hear that? You guessed it. Sarcasm, baby. 100% pure, unadulterated sarcasm, distilled here for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy.

Finished with some leg curls and calf work.

Weight: 146.

Cool Gym Stuff:

I love working out at 24-hour Fitness instead of my normal university gym. You get the strangest looks when squatting/deadlifting.

And there were hot girls on adductor machines. This is a Good Thing (TM). [Homer voice] Mmm....hot girls on adductor machines [/homer voice] Yet another thing I'm thankful for...

Exchange of the day:

Random guy spotting me on my 325 squat: "So, you ever do the leg press instead?"
Me: *stifling back laughter* Only after squatting...
Random Guy: So where'd you get this routine? Muscle and Fitness?
Me: *choke, cough, gasp for breath* Um, no, constructed it from my own research...
Random Guy: *loses interest* Oh. *walks away*

Mmm...hot girls on adductor machines....

Time to eat: will write more after food.

As Budiak has so eloquently phrased it,

FOOD GOOD!

Franjipani
11-29-2002, 03:23 AM
Exchange of the day:
Random guy spotting me on my 325 squat: "So, you ever do the leg press instead?"
Me: *stifling back laughter* Only after squatting...
Random Guy: So where'd you get this routine? Muscle and Fitness?
Me: *choke, cough, gasp for breath* Um, no, constructed it from my own research...
Random Guy: *loses interest* Oh. *walks away*

*LMAO* your random spotters certainly are "special"....perhaps you ought to look into dedicating a section of your journal to them....

Mmm...hot girls on adductor machines....

Ryan1117 would have your guts for garters with that comment;).

Budiak
11-29-2002, 03:50 AM
V, GAMES, F00!!!
The nerw Battlefield patch came out...BOOYA!!!!!!!!

I'll PM you directions.

ectx
12-01-2002, 09:35 PM
_-_V_-_ you are a self-deprecating XENOPHOBIC biotch

You got to squat on Thanksgiving!?!?!?! Sweet *insert de rigeur comment here* You're family must live in a real city with more than one WalMart. *ec shows his below poverty level roots* So you did the insane strip sets?!?! Crazy foo'. How are the legs now?

Alex.V
12-01-2002, 09:37 PM

Belial Insanse Leg Press Strip Set:

A Lot of Weight X Pain

Strip Sets are Fun!

On THANKSGIVING??

:bow:

_-_v_-_
12-01-2002, 10:04 PM
Ectx-- Actually, I didn't get to go home for Thanksgiving...so I worked out at a 24 Hour Fitness here near Stanford. Yes. I know. You read that right. I stayed here. For Thanksgiving. And lifted. At a 24 Hour Fitness.

That's TWO cardinal sins right there. Ugh. Just shoot me. Now.

As for the legs...*insert random masochistic comment here*

B- Yep. On Thanksgiving. And yes, you guessed it: I have no life.

I need to detail yesterday's workout, but no time right now...I'll do that in a bit...

_-_v_-_
12-02-2002, 09:48 PM
Ah, crap.

I'm not going to detail my last back/bicep workout (on sat.), except to note that I curled 95 X 4. My back was sore from SLDL's on Thurs...NOT a good recipe for a stellar back workout, not at all...But, well, HYOOOGE GUNZ, BABY!!!!!!

Yeah. I suck. It kind of goes without saying.

Today's workout:

DB SHoulder Press 70 X 5, 65 X 5, 65 X 5

I could care less about the last two sets; after the first set, the rest was gravy. I'm increasing approximately one-half to one rep per week on this lift, which is a classic Good Thing (TM). I want 75 for a few reps before Christmas.

DB Laterals 25 X 8, 20 X 10

Woo-hoo! Pump those delts!

DB Rear Delt Flies 35 X 8, 35 X 8

Form? Form? Screw form. Form never did anything for anybody. Actually, I don't think my form is that bad; and certainly my delts are growing from these, so I'll keep them.

BB Shrugs 245 X 12, 265 X 8, 265 X 8

Focused on peak contraction here...my traps are looking very nice...

As per popular (read: Franji's) demand, I've decided to institute a
Individuals Doing Inexplicable Outrageous Training Systems ...So, without further ado, let me present the first installment of

IDIOTS :

Unfortunately, no great examples today, just the sight of Incline Bench Boy. Every day I lift; he's incline benching. I've never seen him do anything BUT incline bench. No flat, no decline; no flies, no dumbbell presses; no rows, no squats; not even curls. Just incline.

And guess what? No upper chest. Mwa ha ha ha ha ha.

In another gym-related note: unfortunately, there were no girls in adductor machines today. [wipes tear from eye]. It's...it's hard, I know...but I think I'll manage.

Random Sh!t:

ALMOST DONE WITH RESEARCH PAPER! NEARLY FORTY SOURCES! OVER TWENTY PAGES! THE LITERARY DISTILLATION OF MY WASTED DAYS!

Thank God it's done. If I never see an MLA citation again, I'll die a happy man.

In a related development, I be tired. Spent. Exhausted. And before you ask, none of these states were precipitated by any prurient activities. Shame on you for thinking such things. Bad.

Tired. So tired.

If there were slumber
Here amongst white sheets
Low ceilings
Where no clouds form, and no rain falls
If there were slumber or
A whisper
A murmur in the night
Suggesting slumber
If there were sound of slumber only
But there is dark sky
And

Ok, that's enough of a literary parody for now. No, it's not intended to be good; it's intended to be the work of ME when feeling STUPID. Yes, I know. I'm a moron.

Bonus points to anyone who can name its source?

Like it's hard, coming from me...

_-_v_-_
12-03-2002, 09:28 PM
ALMOST DONE!!!!

NO MORE PAPER AFTER TOMORROW !!!! NO MORE!!!
(insert evil laughter here)

Background on current leg routine:

For the next couple of months, I'm going to be using a bastardized sprinting routine, which alternates weekly from heavy sprinting/light legs to light sprinting/heavy legs.

This was my first light leg day: two light sets of squats, three sets of jump squats, some leg extension and leg curls, followed by some heavy core work. Everything was explosive. That is good.

Though I won't specifically detail these light leg workouts, at least not yet, I will continue, of course, the ever-popular

IDIOTS:

Mr. I Grunt While Benching 160 Lbs Through a One Inch ROM.
Need I say more? Didn't think so.

Other news: I am tired. Need sleep. Sleep good. Sleep make me happy. [homer voice] Sleep....[/homer voice]

WillKuenzel
12-03-2002, 10:45 PM
I like the IDIOTS installation.

I'd be interested in knowing more about those leg workouts if you get the chance. Where did you run across that routine? Not muscle and fitness I presume? j/k

_-_v_-_
12-03-2002, 10:57 PM
Actually, it is (like most of my routine) cribbed straight from Belial.

Yeah. I know. We all wanna be belial here.

You have AIM or MSN IM?

WillKuenzel
12-03-2002, 11:05 PM
AIM but since I work nights, I'm not on during the day and I can't use it at work. Its a sad state but not too bad.

My aim if you're ever on is willblitzkrieg.

ectx
12-04-2002, 03:04 PM
You stumped me with your literary allusion. I'm guessing it's Eliott, but that's just 'cuz it's you.

Why the change in leg routine? Are you axing the insane strip sets™?

Budiak
12-04-2002, 05:08 PM
I dont wanna be Belial.

_-_v_-_
12-04-2002, 09:12 PM
Why the change?

Mainly, because I feel some strange desire to be incredibly fast and agile. Why? Who knows.

As for the allusion...it was what I call a RFBP...a really f*ing bad parody. It's from What the Thunder Said, the fifth section of The Waste Land. I know it's stupid. That's precisely why I did it.

You have to understand: when I wrote it...let's just say I wasn't thinking quite rationally. I was stressing over a 22-page paper to the point of COMPOSING IT IN YOUR ****ING DREAMS...that is not a Good Thing.

I be tired. Exhausted. Beat.

Such a long day. Everything that could have gone...well..you know the drill.

I just want to sleep for days and days.

ectx
12-05-2002, 04:47 PM
I should have known that. I did my senior research paper on Waste Land. I focused on the prophecies of Madame Sosatris. As far as writing the paper in your sleep, I remember a P-chem. exam quite a while back that had this effect on me. I'd close my eyes and see integrals and equations, and gas compressing. It was absolutely insane, and nearly drove me to insomnia. It happened a bit in advanced biochem and microbial physiology too. I'm curious to see what your new leg workout will look like.

_-_v_-_
12-05-2002, 09:01 PM
At this point, I'm really not too sure whether I'm going to continue this leg workout. I'm torn...half of me wants to be fast, half of me wants to squat heavily every week...

I may give it three or four weeks until I actually start, considering that I'll be leaving for home in a week, and home is...not currently conducive to sprinting outside.

If I do decide to continue it, it will basically be as follows:

Light Legs (Tuesday): Jump Squats, Agilities, Plyios, Ham/quad/calf work...

Heavy Sprints (Friday): 40s, stadiums, explosive 10s...

Heavy Legs (Tuesday): Normal leg workout.

Light Sprints (Friday): Agilities, sprints, etc...

It's quite free-form at this point; I may do quite a bit more research before I actually implement it.

Re: Waste Land...I would be interested to see what you concluded re: Madame Sosotris. You still have a copy of that paper by any chance? I'd very much like to read it, if you wouldn't mind.

As for the sleep-paper...let's just say it's over now. Done. Finito. Caput. No mas. I can't wait to actually sleep tonight. Sleep. Really. What a concept.

Today's workout:

Paused BB Bench 175 X 4, 175 X 3

These felt quite strong. Again, much thanks to B for this routine...it feels so odd to actually see my bench improve...not normal, that...

BB Bench 165 X 6, 165 X 6

Finished with two sets flies...

Close-grip BP 145 X 6, 145 X 4

Finished with two sets skulls...

Weight: 145.

Random Sh!t:

Next Wednesday will be Fun! 6 hours of finals! On one day! I'm Excited! Isn't Higher Education Fun!

In other, less sarcastic, more serious developments...I am rapidly approaching a critical moment in the genesis of my next creative endeavor: I lack sufficient confidence in my narrative voice to attempt another novel; yet I feel I have not the metric and imaginative faculties required for poetry. It is particularly frustrating to conceive of a work but to be unable to bring it to fruition; to be, Lily Briscoe in Woolf's To the Lighthouse, unable to translate a personal "vision" into an artistic reality.

F*ck it. I need to simply write. My own lack of self-confidence will be the death of me.

"It is impossible to say just what I mean..."

ectx
12-06-2002, 01:51 AM
Interesting. No hill work? I guess stadium's would count as hill work. Have you thought of doing one distance run in there...I know distance is catabolic, but the longer I could run, the better my short distance running would improve, of course, by short distance I mean 5 K and not a 100 yards. Good luck with it.

I'll look for the file...the paper's a gazillion year's old now, I should still have the floppy somewhere. I argued that the prophecies were a road map through the wasteland, and provided a framework for the entire poem and a way beyond it. At least that's what I remember.

_-_v_-_
12-14-2002, 06:25 PM
[Dicky Barret Voice] It's good to be back! [/Dicky Barret Voice]

Yes. That's right. A little love for all two remaining Bosstones fans. Yes, you. Don't try to deny it; you know who you are...

I'm home. I'm back. Sono ritornato. And it feels...well, let's just say that Wolfe was wrong: you CAN go home again, and when you do, you can be bigger than when you left....

How's THAT for literary!

Finals are over...[EXECRABLE PUN ALERT!!!! EXECRABLE PUN ALERT!!!!!] finally...

The humanities final was cake. Hmmm...me, writing on The Waste Land...haven't done that before.... *looks at my location on left side of screen*

As for chem, well, let's just say that if I actually understood it as well as I think I understood it, I'll be fine. If not, I'll just be a moron. That's ok, though; I'm used to that.

Some long-overdue workout detail:

(I'm not going to detail much -- just the salient points)

Monday: Shoulders

DB Shoulder Press 70 X 6, 70 X 4, 70 X 3

First time hitting 70's for all three sets. Yes. That's right. That would be a Good Thing (TM).

And other stuff...

Tuesday: Legs

Squats 275 X 6, 315 X 4

Great depth, form, etc... I'm pleased.

Paused Squats 245 X 6, 245 X 6

Ow.

And of course, the Insane Belial Leg Press Strip Set (Alternate title: Why Yes, I Am a Masochist, Why do You Ask?)

A Lot of Plates X Pain

Wednesday: Finals

[Insert Self-Pitying Comment Here]

Thursday: Travel

Friday: Chest

Paused BB 180 X 4, 180 X 4

These are increasing weekly. Again, a Good Thing (TM). Thank you, Belial.

BB Bench 170 X 5, 170 X 5

Close-Grip BB 150 X 6, 150 X 4

Those are the salient points. Everything else was just so much fluff.

Time to go eat. Later.

Alex.V
12-14-2002, 07:15 PM
Extremely glad the chest routine is still giving you results. Have you noticed your sticking point moving at all on these? After months of doing these, I have power to spare off the chest, but I now fail about 3" up if I do at all. lol.

And, though weight gain hasn't been hugely noticeable, is there any difference in your chest yet? Regardless, poundages are progressing nicely. :)

Finals are over... good feeling, eh? My last ones (only ones) were yesterday, so there's a bit of an odd feeling of having nothing to do right now.

:D

_-_v_-_
12-14-2002, 07:46 PM
Actually, I have been seeing some growth in my chest, which is a bit disconcerting to me, considering that my chest NEVER grew. I'm quite pleased so far.

RE: sticking point:It has moved, though not a good deal. I still have little trouble locking out; when I fail, it's still at roughly the same point. The difference lies in the strength I have at the sticking point (the weights I can handle and the power I can exert there).

As for finals and having nothing to do...I feel aimless. It's an odd thing to have no stress at all in your life.

Thanks, B.

Budiak
12-14-2002, 11:12 PM
*walks in

*looks around

*eats block of cheese

_-_v_-_
12-15-2002, 09:26 AM
Damn you, Budiak. Damn you straight to hell.

ectx
12-15-2002, 11:20 AM
Nice use of repitition. I think I'll start keeping a running count of the literary devices used in each of your posts, Mr. hoity-toity writer. *drinks glass of milk*
Glad you're posting again and done with finals. I miss spamming your journal.

_-_v_-_
01-01-2003, 08:55 PM
*takes pick and shovel, grids massive cyber-acreage, plans careful excavations, digs, hits bedrock, curses, swears, implies illicit carnal relations between inanimate stone and its molten maternal progenitors, wipes sweat off brow, resumes work, hits more rock, dodges sparks, swears again, eloquently enumerates the numerous deviant sexual proclivities and ultimate infernal destination of the rock, tries once more, gets more sparks, leaves, returns with dynamite and ten thousand archeological undergraduates eager for "work experience", blows gaping whole in rock, forgets that exploded rock tends to fly into the air and then fall with great speed, swears again, runs like hell for shelter, in this case a camel with a bad case of halitosis (as if there ever were a camel not so afflicted), waits out shower of glowing shards of rock, returns to site of excavation, gives out orders to the undergrads milling about, watches as the dig commences...

*days pass*

*walks to center of the dig where an ancient stone codex has been unearthed, examines it, lifts it, cleans it of the accumulated digital dust, traces finger along delicate carvings, unable to speak, only mouthing the long-forgotten words: "the realization of mortality"*

Yes. The excavation is complete. My journal is BACK.

The break has been...it's been, that's about all I can say for it. It came, it was, and now it's almost gone. How fun! Back to school! Back to the social indoctrination and nonsensical pap that oozes from every inch of that famed ivory tower! Back to school! Back to the judgement of jealous peers and intolerant professors! Back to school!

College is Fun (TM).

*NOTE TO JANE*: RUN, RUN! RUN FAR, GIRL, RUN FAR AND NEVER LOOK BACK! IT'S ALL A LIE! COLLEGE IS-- IS-- *falls over dead, shot by the good ol' thought police*

Whew.

Some brief lifting highlights from the break....actually, I'm not sure there were any, so I'll just let discretion here be the better part of valor and shut the hell up. My diet has been...my diet hasn't been at all, is the best way to put it. Unlike most people, my problem has not been holiday excess -- I've been likely eating far too little for these last couple of weeks. Oh well. My lifts haven't suffered too much yet -- a rep here, a pound there -- so I'm not terribly concerned.

Anyway, I'll fill in more of the details of my oh-so-exciting Christmas Break later. For now, however, I am content with resurrecting my quiescent journal. Enjoy.

Franjipani
01-02-2003, 06:38 AM
:hello: welcome back....

I'm exhausted from just reading that entry let alone one of your workouts;).

Budiak
01-02-2003, 09:29 AM
This journal is in serious need of some booty.

_-_v_-_
01-02-2003, 10:12 AM
Don't you have some zombies to kill?

Tryska
01-02-2003, 10:15 AM
that was a beautiful re-awakening.

Budiak
01-02-2003, 10:31 AM
All of the zombies are dead. I'm going to have to start killing people if I want more.

Now about that booty...

ectx
01-02-2003, 11:18 AM
And the award for most elaborate journal reentry after holiday break goes to....

*drumroll*

_-_V_-_

for On the Realization of Mortality™

*crowd chants "speech...speech...speech"*

Paul Stagg
01-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Well?

_-_v_-_
01-09-2003, 02:25 PM
Sorry for delay; had one hell of a travel schedule / reorientation schedule the last few days...

*Steps to podium*

*tap*

*tap*

This thing on?

*EARSPLITTING FEEDBACK*

Guess so.

You have...no idea...how much this means to me...*wipes tear from eye* My mother once told me...that if I were good....and ate my vegetables....I wouldn't have to sleep locked in the closet any more....What does that have to do with this?.....That's a very good question...I've been asking it myself for years ...*cough, cough, choke back tears* Love ya, mom....*dissolves into sobs, walks off podium to standing ovation*....

_-_v_-_
01-09-2003, 02:27 PM
And workout data.

Or not.

Let's just say that I hate my chest. Yes. It's official. My chest is Not A Good Thing (TM).

I'll post more in a bit. Class beckons.

WillKuenzel
01-09-2003, 08:26 PM
*is still clapping as crowd wanders off....looks around....dances a jig*

_-_v_-_
01-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Jigs are cool.

*sings a shanty*

_-_v_-_
01-09-2003, 10:41 PM
And now, some serious news.

My final paper (a 22 page monstrosity I call a "paper" only for lack of a more appropriately negative appelation) for my advanced writing/rhetoric class was nominated by my professor for the Boothe Prize, an award given to the top freshman paper of each quarter. Scholarships are involved, I believe.

I'm just glad to know I didn't do that excessive work for nothing. I tend to go overboard on such things.

Yeah. I tend to go overboard on a lot of things.

[Insert Joke Here].

End serious news.

Should any of you happen to have any suggestions re: my routine, particularly chest, I'd be happy to hear them. This statement is of course predicated upon my supposition that there are indeed individuals reading this, and that said individuals are willing and able to help. If this is not the .....

I need a break. I'm lapsing into academic-speak.

Please. Shoot me now.

Alex.V
01-09-2003, 10:50 PM
*shoots you*

And congratulations, assnuts. The Boothe prize.. the nomination alone is hugely impressive. Good luck!

ectx
01-10-2003, 12:08 AM
:withstupi

Outstanding oh literary one.
(and now I can use this as a qualifier to call you that)

Budiak
01-10-2003, 12:41 AM
Yeah. I tend to go overboard on a lot of things.

A man walked into a bar. He said ouch.

End serious news.

Paul Stagg
01-10-2003, 07:44 AM
For your chest, switch to dumbells.

3 sets flat, 2 sets on a low incline, 2 or 3 sets of flyes, crossovers, or some such nonesence.

Start out at 3x6 on the flat bench, and increase at least one rep on one set each week. When you get to 3x8 or 3x10, bump the weight up.

progress on the other stuff as you can, and drop things when you can't progress any longer (inclines get dropped for dips, for example.)

Eat, and keep working hard onthe basics (squats).

fuzz
01-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Yea *agrees with Paul*

I recently switched to DB presses, and it seems to be working better. Dips are good, too....

_-_v_-_
01-10-2003, 08:07 AM
Thanks, all.

And Bud, not that joke. Please. Anything but that joke.

Paul, I did DB's for about a year, but, though my strength improved, I saw little to no chest improvement.

One of my problems is that I carry nearly all my muscle mass in my legs; my father is the same way. For squats, this is a Good Thing (TM); for chest, a Bad Thing (TM).

I had been seeing success with Belial's paused bench routine, but I began to see some problems which I hope to discuss with B soon, not the least of which were some shoulder issues.

Thanks, all. Laters.

galileo
01-10-2003, 08:22 AM
You're strong for your size. I think I've said that before.

_-_v_-_
01-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Thanks, man.

Except for my bench, which still sucks. It may perhaps be my form, but I doubt it.