PDA

View Full Version : Leptin, and how it affects us

seanilles
09-05-2002, 11:00 PM
I read the Lyle McDonald interview, but I'm confused as to what I should do. I'm pretty sure I'm going to start hitting my plateu soon. I've lost almost 40lbs. without a six pack in sight. Now, I planned on cutting to a six pack, but is this at all possible? Any advice? Help appreciated.

-Sean

Shao-LiN
09-05-2002, 11:33 PM
Sure, keep losing the fat.

MWB
09-06-2002, 04:52 AM
Keep going untill your progress stops. You only want to lower calories so much before it becomes unhealthy. Once your progress stops, do a "refeed" or carb load once a week. The leaner you get, the more carb loads you can do per week.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-06-2002, 07:33 AM
Constant cravings, feeling run down and fatigued all the time and general crappy feeling are all signs of dropped leptin.

Ideally, you should refeed before these symptoms arise, but until you know the feeling and how to act on it, wait for them to rear their ugly head. Once they do, refeed.

galileo
09-06-2002, 09:31 AM
I can see the rush of leptin questions coming!

DaCypher
09-06-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by galileo
I can see the rush of leptin questions coming!
LOL. Well, let me start then...

Does leptin prevent fatloss from an individual when that person hits a particular bodyfat percentage (different for everyone I'm assuming) or does leptin stop/slow bodyfat loss after so much fat is lost from a diet?

Blood&Iron
09-06-2002, 12:02 PM
Leptin expression is determined both by food intake(its primary signal is glucose metabolism, so lowering calories via carb reduction will cause the biggest drop) and by one's bodyfat(i.e. how far below a person is below his bf% setpoint)

There is a fairly detailed(perhaps too detailed for most) series of articles on the subject over at Avant Labs' site:
www.avantlabs.com
Go to back issues of Mind & Muscle(formely Big Motherf*cker). THe first article is in issue 3 or 4.

Or buy Lyle's Bromocriptine book which has a much more concise and more entertaining exposition of the subject(it's far less detailed, though) A search of the forums should also turn up all sorts of info as well.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-07-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by DaCypher

LOL. Well, let me start then...

Does leptin prevent fatloss from an individual when that person hits a particular bodyfat percentage (different for everyone I'm assuming) or does leptin stop/slow bodyfat loss after so much fat is lost from a diet?

It's not leptin that does it, it's the lack of leptin.

So the body is recieving so much leptin from fat stores and it's happy.

You drop fat and suddenyl the body thinks "wow, something's not right here, i must be starving. i'll take measures to ensure i don't die."

And so metabolism slows, thyroids downregulates and all that jazz cause the body is trying conserve what it has.