PDA

View Full Version : Bulking up!

XPATx_UK
09-07-2002, 04:28 AM
I've just statred to bulk up and my diet is as follows:

5am : 4 Scoops Pro-Mass with milk
5.30am: Porridge oats 4 sclices wholemeal toast with 3 eggs
8am: 4 slices wholemeal bread with 2 cans tuna, cottage cheese and yogurt,3 boiled eggs.
12am: 4 scoops Pro-mass with milk
4pm: chicken,pasta/rice,fruit, yogurt, milk
7pm:2 slices wholemeal bread 1 can tuna, fruit.

5grms Craetine daily and lots of water.

I am 36 years old 6' 4" tall, 19 stone no idea of body fat but not bad body.

QUESTION: Am I taking in enough carbs and protien?

Any suggestions welcomed by new starter!

I train 3 times a week compound sets 3 x 10

steveo
09-07-2002, 09:43 AM
Looks like your eating way too much for one meal. The 8am you have 2 serv of Carbs and 3 serv of protein. That's a lot of protein your body one absorbe so much protein at one time the rest is wasted. You need to throw in some steaks and salmon in there. Save the chicken for when you start to lean down.
If you try to eat like a huge bodybuilder it's not going to unless you're on Steroids. Guys on steroids have high ass metab so the have to eat a whole cow. Keep it simple 5-6 small meals with some protein, 2 cards (early in the day), Vegis, Fat!( a lot of EFA). Try to eat some thing after 7pm like before going to bed, you would have about 10 hours no food there if you don't. I would try to compress my meals closer together like 3 hours. I am starving by then four would drive me crazy. Drink a lot of water!

this is just my advice and what I would do.
good luck

Shao-LiN
09-07-2002, 10:10 AM
The 8am you have 2 serv of Carbs and 3 serv of protein. That's a lot of protein your body one absorbe so much protein at one time the rest is wasted.

3 eggs is only about 20 grams of protein, so I fail to see where anything is being wasted. I do agree that it seems there are a lot of carbs in there. I would try to limit it to like 30-50 carbs per meal.

You need to throw in some steaks and salmon in there. Save the chicken for when you start to lean down.

Huh? Chicken is a great source of protein. Steak and salmon are both great sources of protein, but they aren't necessary. They don't magically build mass. As long as the chicken and tuna fits into his daily protein intake for the day and he gets his EFAs from other sources like flax and natty peanut butter, he should be fine.

You definately could stand to take in more EFAs. Aim for at least 15-20% of your daily intake, if anything.

5-6 meals a day is cool. If you're bulking, they won't be all that small. Eat something before you go to bed, preferably a slow digesting protein source like milk or cottage cheese. Even a night time MRP w/ slow digesting proteins would be good.

If you post up the total cals and the macro breakdowns for each meal, it might be a little easier to see if you're eating enough/too little.

Shankerr
09-07-2002, 01:12 PM
:withstupi

From what I heard, your body can effectively make use of 32g of protein every three hours, so there shouldn't be a whole lot of point in eating more than that... correct me if I'm wrong, but there was a study at the last University I went to that came to this conclusion.

Clark
09-07-2002, 11:19 PM
Was that a clown college?

Vido
09-07-2002, 11:19 PM
Shankerr, there is no magic number for how many grams of protein your body can use in a certain time frame. Like anything else concerned with bodybuilding it varies from person to person. If a 300 lb bodybuilder could only use 32 g of protein every 3 hours he'd be screwed.

LAM
09-08-2002, 12:06 AM
:withstupi

Puttn
09-08-2002, 06:53 AM
yea i dont think there is a magic number there isnt for fat or carbs per meal so why would protein be any different its too many calories total it will all eventually be used

Jilla82
09-08-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Clark
Was that a clown college? lmao!

Shankerr
09-08-2002, 09:52 AM
hehe, well, not a clown college, actually, not a college at all, it was one of the most reputable Universities in Canada. (theres a difference between colleges and universities in Canada)

Like I said, I didn't do the research, and personally, I still eat alot more protein than that. However, thats what this study (I believe it was related to one guys PhD thesis) came up with. As we all know, not al research is correct, now is it....

Shankerr
09-08-2002, 10:32 AM
PS>

Clark, I actually do go to clown college in between semesters of Univeristy. I was the clown that was at your kids last birthday, and mysteriously left with your wife after....

Shankerr
09-08-2002, 10:37 AM
oh, and PPS>

I just got off the phone with the guy that did that study, wanted to check up on things. he said that the conclusions his team came to was that the body could effectively synthesize 32g of new protien chains (Ie, lean body mass) every three hours, not necessarily only make use of 32g of free chain amino acids. so its my bad... I talked to the guy last week, and when he got talking about maximum usages of 32g/3h I thought it sounded weird.... however, cleared up now.. and yet again, like I said before, research isn't always right,

TylerDurden
09-08-2002, 01:02 PM
Everybody has a different rate of metabolism, so maybe thats an average. 32g/3hours synthesized is highly unlikely. I imagine it can be metabolized that quick but sythesis of new myosin and actin myofabrils takes hours and if it were possible to gain 33g of weight every 3 hours I'd be about 100009lbs by now.

TylerDurden
09-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Back to the original post: Its a good start but try eating a little less every meal and eat more meals like every 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Also you need to eat fats, because your trying to gain weight. cook your food in olive oil or eat more steaks, cottage cheese, hambergers, pizza, and potatoes with sour cream (low fat but stiil enough).