PDA

View Full Version : Food Prep Question?

Tryska
09-08-2002, 10:18 AM
anybody know the trick to cooking hardboiled eggs so that when you peel 'em half the white doesn't come off too?

everyonce in a while i get it right.....i've narrowed it down to using extremely fresh eggs, and/or dunking them in cold water as soon as they are cooked.

any ideas?

Allie
09-08-2002, 10:24 AM
I never have a problem, and the good lord knows I can't even cook oatmeal in a microwave. So try this

Cold water and cold eggs in the pan.

Put the burner in Hi and bring to a boil.

Set timer for 15 mins

Cover the pan and let them water cool down to being just warm (15-20 mins)

Run cold water in the pan, to cool eggs and toss them in the fridge, peel and use as needed. I never have problems with the shells sticking to the whites. And hon, if I can manage to hardboil eggs, anyone can LOL :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-08-2002, 10:25 AM
Dunk them in cold water straight away and let the entire egg cool down (the white and yolk too).

Once they've 'hardend up' a bit, smash the egg and roll it between your hand and the bench. With any luck, the shell will be more brittle from going from hot to cold so fast and should just peel right off.

Of course it won't always work.

There's always one.

Just that one...

Tryska
09-08-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Allie
I never have a problem, and the good lord knows I can't even cook oatmeal in a microwave. So try this

Cold water and cold eggs in the pan.

Put the burner in Hi and bring to a boil.

Set timer for 15 mins

Cover the pan and let them water cool down to being just warm (15-20 mins)

Run cold water in the pan, to cool eggs and toss them in the fridge, peel and use as needed. I never have problems with the shells sticking to the whites. And hon, if I can manage to hardboil eggs, anyone can LOL :)

*lol* this is typically what i do. or at least, today this is what i've done. I'll report back mid-week and let y'all know if this worked.

i'm with chigs tho..there's always that one. of course i don't rol the egg...just smash it everywhere...perhaps i need to do the rolling thing.

Shankerr
09-08-2002, 10:42 AM
when I was taught to make hard boiled eggs, it was exactally the way Chicken Daddy said..... boil, put into cold water (the softer, less dense egg white and yolk cool at a faster rate than the shell, causing it to shrink faster, thuis pulling it away from the shell....) the shell also gets harder as it begins to shrink and cool, so it'll be easier to crack, roll it around, peel, done..

I hardly ever make these anymore, but when I do, this method seems to work. it only takes about five seconds or so in the cold water usually to get the desired effect I found..

Stray
09-09-2002, 08:51 AM
when cracking I try to get one single crack in the center and peel it away in two single pieces like a magic trick...well minus the tophat and fancy cape.

Tryska
09-09-2002, 08:56 AM
if i did that i'd wind up with a yolk in my hand.

Stray
09-09-2002, 09:02 AM
Thus the magic part!

*twirls cape and disappears*

LAM
09-09-2002, 09:02 AM
when you are peeling the eggs run them under cold water

body
09-09-2002, 01:15 PM
can you not buy pre-cooked peeled eggs?

Tryska
09-09-2002, 01:52 PM
they have those?

body
09-09-2002, 02:13 PM
you can buy them, they come in brine but easy to drain.

not sure what shops to get them in. I work in the food industry and we get pre-cooked de-shelled whole eggs in. They come in brine, but drian them for a minute and they are fine.

I have seen some pickled eggs in the shop. BUt in america you have far more choice than most british people in the shop.

they last for about 2 weeks(well a while anyway - never checked as we go through so many) in the brine so you can bulk buy them. save cooking every other day.

Tryska
09-09-2002, 02:19 PM
pickled eggs in brine?

i've only seen those in bars, and int he kosher aisle.

either way i'd much rather buy my organic free-range eggs, and boil them for 15 minutes.

dvm3
09-09-2002, 03:25 PM
Just add salt to the water before cooking. Couple tablespoons or so. Works every time!

Stray
09-09-2002, 03:28 PM
:withstupi

Tryska
09-09-2002, 03:28 PM
salt?

really?

body
09-09-2002, 03:54 PM
the salt increase the boiling temp. so they cook quicker.

Do you buy free-range eggs due to the ethics?

if you want to save them for a while, you want to get the temp down as quick as possible so micorobes will not start to grow.

put them in ice water. for 5 minutes. then put in some iced water and put in the fridge. add salt into water as this makes it unsuitable for micorbes to grow again so the egg last longer.

if you seal them, you could get a good weeks worth of eggs done at once.

Tryska
09-09-2002, 07:19 PM
that's what i do.

i buy free-range for the ethics/politics/general hygeine of it. don't want any extra antibiotics, cannibal chicken genetics etc.

as for what i do, i just hardboil a full dozen, and then leave them in their shell in the fridge. I figure "god's wrapper" is the best antimicrobial defense around. It's working quite well so far. and then i have 2 a day for breakfast.

Maki Riddington
09-09-2002, 07:32 PM
I do what LAM suggested.

Manveet
09-09-2002, 08:45 PM
I usually have that problem if I don't let the egg cook long enough.

body
09-10-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Tryska

as for what i do, i just hardboil a full dozen, and then leave them in their shell in the fridge. I figure "god's wrapper" is the best antimicrobial defense around. It's working quite well so far. and then i have 2 a day for breakfast.

the shells are not a the best wrapper as the shell is pourous so micro-organism can migrate.

Tryska
09-10-2002, 02:40 PM
okay.

so your suggesting salt-water?

the doc
09-10-2002, 07:17 PM
tryska the salt water is true. It is an osmotic pressure which drives water out of the egg (slightly shrinking it) and salt in.

Shocker
09-10-2002, 07:25 PM
make sure you use good quality steroid enhanced eggs. for some reason the free range ones do this to me and also the lower quality battery chicken variety
otherwise, i also make sure that I have boiled the hell out of them and then go for the cold water to prevent this.

Tryska
09-10-2002, 07:29 PM
no steroid enhanced eggs from cannibal chickens, thanks. :hello:

actually, so far this week i haven't been having problems. i've been using chigs smash and roll technique as well.