PDA

View Full Version : Dextrose/Maltodextrin

DumbbellTosser
09-11-2002, 10:35 AM
Which in your opinions is better to mix with creatine? And why?

galileo
09-11-2002, 10:37 AM
My opion is dextrose, because that's what I could find at the store.

Get it?

gino
09-11-2002, 11:39 AM
Dextrose I believe, because it creates a more drastic blood glucose response.

DumbbellTosser
09-11-2002, 01:07 PM
What's a good ratio (Creatine amount VS Dextrose amount) in the mix?

BUFF STUFF
09-11-2002, 06:35 PM
Wheres a good place to purchase dextrose in the Uk?
any one know????

Shao-LiN
09-11-2002, 06:47 PM
No ratio needed. Either take half a teaspoon (2.5 g) pre and post workout or take a full teaspoon (5 g) post workout.

pearl
09-11-2002, 07:15 PM
ratio for 5 g of creatine, 500ml water and 2- to 70g of dextrose

maltodextrin is a lower GI carb, so the insulin response is lower.

LAM
09-11-2002, 07:21 PM
the GI of dextrose and maltodextrin is comparable. maltodextrin is a glucose polymer. the weak hydrogen bonds between the glucose molecules cause it to metabolize a fraction slower...

the doc
09-12-2002, 10:59 AM
not exactly lam, the acidic conditions of the stomach, in addition to mixing with saliva (which contains an enzyme) all serve to hydrolize the poly glucose into individual glucose units.

If i were to use dextrose/malto i would use it in about a 40/60 ratio of glucose to malto...

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-12-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by pearl
ratio for 5 g of creatine, 500ml water and 2- to 70g of dextrose

maltodextrin is a lower GI carb, so the insulin response is lower.

On the dextrose = 100 GI scale, maltodextrin comes in at 104, i believe.

Just because it's called 'complex' doesn't mean it's lower GI.

Either will work, cause they both spike the **** out of insulin.

Of course, insulin isn't actually necessary with creatine, although it does help.

I like mixing both dex and malto.

The dex, being single molecules, go straight through the gut wall without digestion, spiking the hell out of insulin and getting to the muscle cell and through the protein channels easy via active transport. Only so much can get through at once via active transport. Mixing in some malto, means the malto get's digested at a slightly slower rate (since it's a glucose polymer, as LAM said, thus they need to be browkn down into glucose molecules to pass through the gut wall. This way, the slower digestion while the straight dextrose is getting into the muscle means the glucose from the malto goes in afterwards.

Kinda like making them form an orderly queue. :)

DumbbellTosser
09-12-2002, 03:05 PM
This site is full of smartypants'.

Good stuff kids. Thanks.

But one more question:

How much dex/malto is in Grape Juice?

Shao-LiN
09-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Dunno if grape juice has dex or malto, probably glucose. But it should say on the label. The section marked sugars is a good indication.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-12-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
Dunno if grape juice has dex or malto, probably glucose.

If you go to bed tonight wondering "what have i learned today?"

Let it be that Dextrose is the same thing as Glucose.

Grape juice has a small amount of fructose (dunno exactly how much, but it's not really that significant) but is predominantly glucose.

the doc
09-12-2002, 03:56 PM
why is it called dextrose then you may ask

It has to do with the property of glucose solutions to rotate polaized light. If anyone has a pair of polarized sunglasses, look at some glare off of a car or the surface of a puddle/ pond/ lake. Rotate the polarized sunglasses and you will see the glare get brighter and less dark.

Say you dissolve 5 grams of glucose in some water. Shine a light through one pair of polarized lenses, throught the glucose solution and then look through the other side with your polarized lenses on. Try to get the light to be the brightest. You will find that you need to rotate the lenses to the right (clockwise) to do this. Therefore glucose is "dextrorotary" from the greek (i believe) for right handed (wizard may help here)

So dextrose = sugar that is "right-handed" = glucose :D

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-12-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by the doc
why is it called dextrose then you may ask

It has to do with the property of glucose solutions to rotate polaized light. If anyone has a pair of polarized sunglasses, look at some glare off of a car or the surface of a puddle/ pond/ lake. Rotate the polarized sunglasses and you will see the glare get brighter and less dark.

Say you dissolve 5 grams of glucose in some water. Shine a light through one pair of polarized lenses, throught the glucose solution and then look through the other side with your polarized lenses on. Try to get the light to be the brightest. You will find that you need to rotate the lenses to the right (clockwise) to do this. Therefore glucose is "dextrorotary" from the greek (i believe) for right handed (wizard may help here)

So dextrose = sugar that is "right-handed" = glucose :D

It is atrociously sad that you know this.

What is almost as bad, if not worse, that i know that amino acids are read from the other side (ie the left, or "levorotary") and is thus, why they are called 'L-x'.

eg L-Tyrosine, L-glutamine etc...

~hands Doc a Newcastle and kicks back to talk quantum physics~

DumbbellTosser
09-12-2002, 04:06 PM
Doc,
You see... It's a response JUST LIKE THAT that gets you nominated into "The Smartypants Club"

DumbbellTosser
09-12-2002, 04:08 PM
Oh and Chicken... you are nominated too for that "atrociously" interesting response.