PDA

View Full Version : NHE questions

CBates
09-11-2002, 10:38 AM
I have 2 questions about the NHE diet. During the carb up, is it mandatory that you have all the carbs in 1 or 2 meals, or can you spread them out evenly throughout the whole day? Also, is there any set amount of days to go before doing the carb up, like every 3 or 4 days, or would like once every 6 days be OK?

raniali
09-11-2002, 11:01 AM
I know very little about NHE but I do know that if you prolong your carb up you are following a CKD (cyclical keto diet) ... and I thought one of the major differences between NHE and CKD was the more frequent carb ups and a carb up with more moderate carbs. If you prolong your carb up - IMO it becomes more important to eat a more massive amount of carbs to compensate and refill.

Hopefully someone with more NHE knowledge can give you more insight.

Puttn
09-11-2002, 11:07 AM
spreading them out wo uld be better

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Don't spread the carbs througout the day.

Do every 3rd and 4th, only changing to fit in with social life etc...

There are reasons for the diet being structured this way.

You have actually read the book, right?

CBates
09-11-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Don't spread the carbs througout the day.

Do every 3rd and 4th, only changing to fit in with social life etc...

There are reasons for the diet being structured this way.

You have actually read the book, right?

Thanks for all the replies, I have the book ordered, but it's been over a week and still don't know when I'll receive it. I was just getting an idea of how the diet works, since I've been anxious to start the diet.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-11-2002, 03:16 PM
It's a good read, you'll enjoy it.

Puttn
09-11-2002, 04:11 PM
why would you want all your carbs in 2 meals.. i eat most 3/4s my carbs from breakfast and post workout but spread the others out because the insulin spike

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-11-2002, 04:18 PM
Because it's the way the diet is structured.

I'll post more tomorrow when i have time, but the reaons DO make sense.

the doc
09-12-2002, 10:48 AM
the reason why is that you are eating more carbs (up to 60 g) during the down cycle (low carb days), thus you have less need for day long carb ups

The whole point of NHE is to avoid insulin/glucagon spikes (and troughs) to optimize fat loss whilst maintaining as much muscle as possible

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-12-2002, 11:50 AM
Basically, if you spread carbs throughout the day, chances are you'll crave more and thus, end up eating more.

If you only have a limited time to pack in calories over two meals before bed, chances are you won't eat as much.

You can only cram so much down before feeling physically sick, so while rob says eat all you want, realistically, you're only gonna get down about 300g carbs max, 400g if you've got a big void to fill.

Eating protein and fat throughout the day has more favourable effects on the gut hormone CCK, which tells your brain when the stomch has had enough. Hence, why higher fat dits blunt appetite more and the lower/non-swinging blood sugar levels mean insulin isn't going all over the place creating cravings for more food and thus, more calories.

So really, at the end of the day, although rob says it'll keep you in fat burning mode longer, realistically it only works because it keeps your calorie intake restricted.

Just like ketosis, there's nothing particularly magic about NHE, only that cravings are controlled (in most people), hunger is smaller and so you eat less, which means less calories eaten and more calories burned by your body in compensation. Thus, it's an effective diet.

If you can keep cravings controlled and not break diet using predominantly carbs, providing your EFAs and protein requirements are met you can achieve similar/the same results