PDA

View Full Version : Keto Diet Help

huhu
09-11-2002, 07:02 PM
First of all I have read all the articles and such and look through all the achives on keto diets.....

I just need some suggestions on what foods are good to eat on it.

A little about me: I am 23 and 6ft and 174lbs. I am in good shape and lift 4 days a week do 3 days cardio. I eat a pretty good diet. 6 meals a day and mostly High protein medium fat and lower carb foods......

However I still am not really to defined. I still have a little fat on my backside and a little on my abs that I can't get rid of.

The keto diet is a little new to me but I hear that it can be a good fat burner. From what i understand and please correct me if I am wrong but this is what I understand the keto to be.

Part1: 5 days a week eat Higher Fat, Medium Protien, Close to zero Carbs.

Part2: 2 days a week refeed with almost all carbs.

Not sure if I need to do Part 1 for 2 weeks before I start to implement Part 2 in order to reach Ketosis.

ALSO: This is my big prob.....that i have searched the forums for.

WHAT DO PEOPLE EAT FOR PART 1 and PART 2?
I would just like some suggestions......for both parts.....What works for other people??

Thanks Everyone!!

Shao-LiN
09-11-2002, 08:14 PM
Uh...part 1: beef, chicken, flax, yada yada
part 2: carbs...do I need to go into what has carbs?

Stray
09-12-2002, 09:11 AM
Part one: fats and proteins

Part two: carbs

raniali
09-12-2002, 09:58 AM
part 1: tuna/mayo; chxn/itln dressing; beef or turkey burgers; sausage or hot dogs; cheez; low carb protein drinks; flax/Udo's oil; MCT oil; pnut butter and nuts (but watch the CARBS) -- DON'T FORGET FIBER SUPPLEMENTS!!!

part 2: tuna NO mayo (try low fat salad dressing instead); plain chxn/rice; lean beef or turkey; protein drinks of all sorts (you can even add dextrose or other carb powder too); oatmeal/fruit; yams/potatoes; veggies in any way, shape or form; minimal (but ok) pasta, bread, cereal or other refined white flour products -- and taking SOME fats ok (like flax/Udos/fish oil)

If you have never done a keto diet - the first 1-3 weeks are going to be tough till your body adapts to ketosis. But once it does - you will be swimming in excess energy. You will not be able to train as much without glycogen in the cells and don't overdo cardio (although some is ok). DRINK TONS of water and TAKE FIBER as ketosis is dehydrating.
good luck

the doc
09-12-2002, 10:31 AM
i think ali pretty much summed it up but i would only add that you're looking to get about 7% of cals from fat and 25% from protein during the down days

also, the refeeding is not part of a true keto diet, but is part of the cyclical keto diet or CKD

Tryska
09-12-2002, 10:41 AM
erm...that should be 75% from fat, and 25% from protein.

the doc
09-12-2002, 10:44 AM
thank miss T

;)

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-12-2002, 10:52 AM
If you're not eating enough fat and eating too much protein you may find getting into ketosis difficult.

Besides, there's nothing particularly special anout ketosis anyway. You may notice more than normal accelerated fat loss within the first few weeks, but after that it'll depend on overall calories.

Huhu, if the fat remaining really is 'stubborn' in the fact that the body is extremely reluctant to get rid of it, then i gotta question your intentions for trying your best to get rid of them. As dumb as that question sounds, unless you've got a competition to go in for, there is little point to try and get as lean as possible. The reason it's so difficult is cause you're getting too low below your setpoint and your body doesn't like it. Getting really low you run the risk of health problems and muscle loss. And chances are, come your next gaining phase (if you do in fact cycle cutting and gaining phases) you'll put the stubborn fat back on quite quickly, unless you pay meticulous detail to calorie intake.

Obviously, you want the asthetics of being really lean, but unless you're genetically lean (ie Gino type setpoint) then you'll find it really hard to get down to (losing muscle in the process from the falling leptin) your desired goal and have just as hard a time maintaining it (risking health effects from lower than normal [for you] leptin levels).

Of course, if you're tinkering around your setpoint and you just need to drop a few more lbs for the sake of sanity (and maybe seeing some abs poking through for once) then be sure to focus more on calories and not metabolic states like ketosis. At the end of the day, it is this that will determine whether you keep your bits of remaining fat - not the fact that your body is producing ketone bodys.

Tryska
09-12-2002, 10:55 AM
hee hee...no worries doc....i read it and i knew what to expect, but something didn't click. i figured i would just restate rather then taking liberties with your post. :)