PDA

View Full Version : Eating a lot and gaining weight

Holylite
09-13-2002, 03:01 PM
Well, I'm an ectomorph, so I decided to bulk, while I lift weights.

My weight when I started late august bulking was around 135, monday. FYI i am also 6 feet tall

Well, now I aup or down 2 pounds depending on time of day. I started lifting This m in the 140's. I am pretty psyched that I am gaining weight, especially since I have to eat like a freaking hog, yet only eat clean things. I think I might have also been stuck around 135 is because I didn't eat a whole lot, more ate till I was satisfied, now I eat till I'm full.

Well now time for a question. Since I am eating as healthy as possible, will whatever fat I gained quickly go into muscle as I keep lifting weights? I know it isn't much fat, but I want to have a minimal amount of fat possible. Though I am glad I am gaining weight, even if it is only 5 pounds.

JHolmes145
09-13-2002, 03:27 PM
fat doesnt turn in2 muscle its a myth, and if youre seriously trying 2 bulk then u cant b afraid 2 gain a lil fat in the process

LAM
09-13-2002, 06:53 PM
weigh yourself first thing in the morning it is the most accurate time to do so...

BUFF STUFF
09-13-2002, 07:48 PM
I lost around 28 pounds when stoped lifting amd mainted the same waist line as before

I also weigh up 7 lbs more when i go to bed

duque21
09-15-2002, 10:06 PM
Hey if your an ectomorph, as a general idea you might want to go with like 30-40-40 diet........it seems like that is what might be best for you....

`that would be calories total for the day 30% from carbs,
40%-protein, 40%-fat.....see how that works for you, if you start to gain too much fat I would go with a 40-40-20 diet.........change it up and se what works for you and stick with it till you get where you want to

TreeTrunks
09-15-2002, 10:36 PM
6 foot 135lbs!!! :omg: EAT boy EAT!!! Seriously though to bulk you will gain some fat. But thats your opportunity cost for gaining muscle. Same with cutting diets, you have to sacrifise maybe some muscle for several pounds of fat. Bt you need to eat, and not necessarily healthy.

Clark
09-15-2002, 10:40 PM
6' 135, yikes I think the real issue at hand is whether we can still see you when you turn sideways. But on a serious note, at that weight you need to just eat all the time regardless of what it is. Just always have some food in your hands.

Manveet
09-15-2002, 10:43 PM
I agree with Clark. Your strategy should be to have some sort of food in your mouth at almost all times.

TreeTrunks
09-15-2002, 10:50 PM
Oh hell just take your food via an IV unit. I still think they should market an amnio acid drip for bodybuilders at night.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-16-2002, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
Oh hell just take your food via an IV unit. I still think they should market an amnio acid drip for bodybuilders at night.

Now that you've mentioned there's potnetial for business, i wouldn't be suprised if MT came out with a revolutionary new product. watch this space.

Holylite, don't use this thread as an excuse to just go and get fat.

You seem like a newer lifter. Eat more, cause if you are indeed a newer lifter, you'll put on muscle quite quickly, providing you're lifting in a progressive manner and with a good volume and work ethic (read more in training for training info).

Do as LAM says and weigh yourself every week under the same conditions (the morning is probably best) and make sure your weight is going up. If it isn't, eat more. Keeping track of calories might be a good idea, but right now probably isn't all that necessary. Once you start to stop gaining weight and eyeballing your amounts of food seems to not be working, then calorie counting may be of benefit.

Over the next 6 months, providing you follow key advice, i reckon you can get your weight about 150. Possibly the 160 region maybe?

smalls
09-16-2002, 10:30 PM
Just to give a semi-opposing viewpoint as chigs. I would have to agree with some of the others here and say, you should be eating a huge, I mean huge, amount of food. I have been 140 and six foot. And there is probably a reason you are that light. Either, you have never eaten very much, in which case you are used to not eating very much and even when you increase your cals it still might not be enought. Or you have a raging metabolism, in which case you need an ungodly amount of cals. Or both. In any case I would say take advantage of your newbie gains by making sure your are always eating enough. I agree in that you shouldnt get extremely fat, but putting on some fat is part of the game for us without sick genetics. Sorry if I am just blabbing. Anyway, good eatin, and good liftin.

Spawn_X
09-16-2002, 10:54 PM
pardon my stupidity, but what's an ectomorph ?

Puttn
09-17-2002, 06:41 AM
just start eating 7 small meals about 400 cals or 6 meals and just keep upping it until your eating enough

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-17-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Spawn_X
pardon my stupidity, but what's an ectomorph ?

It's based on theory mostly, but it's decent enough for explainations:

Three 'main' body types:

Ectomorph - skinny, fast metabolism, finds it hard putting on weight, usually has small(er) appetite, pretty much the opposite of endomorph.

Mesomorph - the happy medium

Endomorph - fat/stumpy/pudgy, slower metabolism, finds putting weight on easy enough but finds dropping it quite the nightmare, usually has large(r) appetite, pretty much the opposite of ectomorph.

Holylite
09-17-2002, 04:02 PM
Thanks all for the good advice :)

Yeah, my goal is not to get fat, it's to get muscular. I'm currently eating that I can shove in my stomach, but lifting and doing mild cardio.

I'm still figuring out how to eat as "clean" as possible. I recently learned that white bread has a lot of empty calories. Now I am eating oat bread instead.

I seriously hope you are right about getting in the 150+ region, chicken daddy. I would be tremendously pleased with results like that :).

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-17-2002, 04:08 PM
Just make sure your training program is top notch and i can't see any reason you can't get there (providing you stick with it consistently).

Empty calories you say, eh?

If you're having a problem with getting enough food down then empty calories like white bread is a god-send. It'll digest quicker than oats and leave more room for more cals sooner.

I'd hardly call them 'empty calories' though.

Holylite
09-17-2002, 04:14 PM
Ahh, ok, my friend told me that they are empty calories and will do nothing for my growth except make me gain fat. Guess I should research what he tells me next time ;)

On a side note, I eat a lot of yogurt, because it has a decent amount of carbs and protein. However, it also has a tremendous amount of sugar. Is it ok to eat it or should I stay away from stuff like that?

bradley
09-17-2002, 04:31 PM
At your weight I say go with the yogurt. Remember you are trying to gain weight.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-17-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Holylite
Ahh, ok, my friend told me that they are empty calories and will do nothing for my growth except make me gain fat.

Nah, only a lot of excess calories will go towards making you fat for the most part. if you're training hard and a new lifter, then you'll notice a larger than usual anabolic response.

The whole excess cals making you fat is kinda the reason i told you not to go OTT but maybe even plan and count calories. It's not totally necessary right now though. Just go with it and see yourself grow.

Jilla82
09-17-2002, 04:36 PM
quick question. This is my third week lifting. Should I notice a weight change by now? I weight the exact same thing I did when I started. My lifting weights are going up, but I was hoping I may have lost a few pounds because I have some body weight I want to shed.