PDA

View Full Version : Protein from bars?

furious
09-13-2002, 06:15 PM
I am a full time student, and thus I rely on protein bars to suppliment much of my protein and caloric intake. My questin is this, is the protein from bars as effective in aiding muscle growth as protein obtained from whole foods?

BUFF STUFF
09-13-2002, 06:31 PM
Why cant you make weigh shakes or weight gainer shakes in a bottel?? Thats what I did

Cheaper and easyer to digest!:alcoholic

Puttn
09-13-2002, 07:10 PM
yea i do make whey shakes but sometimes ill have no time to drink so i eat a bar from class to class i substitute a meal for a bar probly 2 times a week

BUFF STUFF
09-13-2002, 07:46 PM
if you have time to eat, how cant you have time to drink a weight gainer drink?:confused:

Manveet
09-15-2002, 10:42 PM
Ya I agree with BUFF STUFF. I am also a full time student and hold down a part time job. I friggin pack sandwhiches and pre mix meal replacements the night before I journey out to school. I eat in class, or between classes, or whenever I get the slight chance to stuff my face. With that said protein bars ok when you are really strapped, I do it occassionaly. But I am an advocate of real food, mainly because it's cheaper.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-16-2002, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Manveet
But I am an advocate of real food, mainly because it's cheaper.

Me too. Quite a strong advocate in fact, although i know B&I disagrees to some extent. But that's a different topic.

The way to keep a solid diet with time restraints is to think and plan well ahead. Hell, i cook chicken breasts a few days in advance and keep them chilled in my fridge until i need them. I eat them cold. I actually prefer the taste that way. But then again, i'm a freak with weird taste buds these days (after so long dieting, bland food tastes really nice, until i have a cheat or whatever, and then suddenly it's like my taste buds have been 'reset' and the bland food once again tastes bland. Weird, no?)

Always plan one step ahead and ensure you can eat as close enough to scheduled times as possible.

I have a really old article on time keeping on the site somewhere. Maybe it's worth a read?

YatesNightBlade
09-16-2002, 05:57 AM
Real food cannot be beat ...... a supplement is just that. It's ment to supplement your diet and not replace it.

Shankerr
09-16-2002, 07:37 AM
I'd agree with that, real food is the best. If you need something fast, waht about making protein pancakes, or just grilling chicken breasts the night before, wrapping them in saran wrap, and taking them with ya. I do this all the time. I think I gorss out my profs though, I walk into class, pull out a chicken breast and start shaking up some whey :-) They get used to it though!

Jilla82
09-16-2002, 11:31 AM
What do you guys pack for lunch?? I really need to start making my lunch's and what not the night before because I work and go to school. If I froze a whey shake and let it thaw out in my car will it loose any thing in the process?

Alex.V
09-16-2002, 11:34 AM
LOL! This is so silly. Protein is protein.

Bars are fine. Your body can't tell which aminos in your bloodstream came from a bar, and which came from chicken.

Jilla82
09-16-2002, 11:37 AM
natural is ALWAY better then synthetic

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-16-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Belial
LOL! This is so silly. Protein is protein.

Bars are fine. Your body can't tell which aminos in your bloodstream came from a bar, and which came from chicken.

While that is quite true, if the guy is on a cut and trying to restrict calories, a protein bar ain't gonna fill him up much and he'll most likely find himself in some discomfort from hunger pangs and sugar cravings. Possibly resulting in breaking diet (and going off on binges like i know several people to do sometimes). Especially if he's tinkering below his set point after dieting for quite a while, when cravings and hunger are already bad enough as it is.

If he can control these, then wahey.

furious
09-16-2002, 07:01 PM
I am on a bulk actually, so its not a problem

YatesNightBlade
09-17-2002, 02:31 AM
Protein is never just protein. If it was ... hell .... i wouldn't be typing this now whilst trying to swallow down some scrabbled egg (that makes me boak !).

BV, quailty carbs, minrals and vitimins is what seperates the two. Supps are very convinient.

BennettBoy
09-17-2002, 06:25 AM
I'm sick of scrambled eggs:D

Alex.V
09-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

While that is quite true, if the guy is on a cut and trying to restrict calories, a protein bar ain't gonna fill him up much and he'll most likely find himself in some discomfort from hunger pangs and sugar cravings. Possibly resulting in breaking diet (and going off on binges like i know several people to do sometimes). Especially if he's tinkering below his set point after dieting for quite a while, when cravings and hunger are already bad enough as it is.

That I agree with 100%.

But I do feel sorry for the oft-maligned bars... yeah, unless you can manage to cook up a bunch of chicken breasts and carry them around, bars are convenient, full of some of the very highest-quality protein, they taste not too shabby, and... well...

jilla, please explain how protein that comes from milk is "synthetic"? Simply because the lactose and casein are removed from it, whey protein is no longer "natural"? It's not like the protein itself was assembled in a lab.

Whether you cook egg whites, find an egg-white protein bar (No idea where, but...) or buy powdered egg white and throw it in some water and gulp it down, your body can't tell the difference between the protein. yes, there are other factors. But his question was "is the protein from bars as effective in aiding muscle growth as protein obtained from whole foods?" And my answer to that would be an unequivocal "yes".