PDA

View Full Version : My Journal-advice and criticism needed!

vanfreak
09-15-2002, 06:01 PM
Okay here goes:
This is my first Post here and I figure the best way to do it is by posting a journal and getting some great advice.What I have learnt here from just lurking the past month has helped!
My main goals: get my body fat down to 10-11%[its curently 15%] and increase the size of my arms and Lats.. so here is a detailed look at my daily routine:
Morning:
-two cups of coffee, small shot of cream and natural honey
-Breakfast- Nature Valley peanut Butter Granola Bar and my 'EGGY BOMBA'[I'll explain how it got its name later]
Half cup egg whites, half cup so Nice Soy Milk[Vanilla] in blender with one Banana and a handful of blueberries[or nectarine, orange whatever I have on hand]
-3 flax seed oil caps
-Swiss Naturals vege green multivitamin
-Then I walk from my Apartment to our Skytrain[Similar to a Subway] this is my aerobic activity for the day I walk down one street that takes me about thirty minutes and with NO stopping-If I have to stop at a light I keep my feet moving.I do this at least four times a week.
WEIGHTS:
BACK DAY-[uusally Monday]- Deadlifts 3 sets of between 6-8 with 90 pounds
chin ups- 3 sets between 4-6[sometimes less, sometimes more]
pull ups palms facing me for biceps - 3-4 sets of between 4-6
LEG DAY-Usually Wednesday-
4 sets of Squats on the machine[yes I know] 110 pounds
4 sets of leg curls 50 pounds
4 sets of calves[I always vary weight from heavy to light]
CHEST AND TRIS AND SHOULDER DAY-Friday sometimes Saturday
4 sets of Bench press with either 90 to 100 sometimes incline, sometimes flat....
4 sets of dips, 10 reps...
in addition occasionally a triceps machine or cables I vary it week to week
front barbell lifts or a shoulder machine again I vary it week to week usually 50 pounds...
and I also do palms facing bicep pull ups on this day as well....
LUNCH: I try to have a protein bar or MYOPLEX but sometimes I cheat and have pizza..[ready for the barrage] I am hypoglycemic and sometimes that can force me to go the Pizza route..
DINNER; almost always white rice[less than a cup] and almost alwasy chicken- once or twice a week red meat..
I do not eat dessert...
I am 39 years old, weigh 181 lbs. height I think I'm about 5'7" not sure though..
I rarely if ever drink alcohol anymore and would kill to get rid of my love handles..
LET THE CRITIQUES BEGIN!!!

vanfreak
09-16-2002, 03:26 PM
Well today didn't go exactly as planned..Have a bit of a cold, slight fever[probably due to being stressed out about work]
felt a little weak and gave in to a bad craving had english muffins with butter.. YEACHHHHH![but god it was good]
Didn't feel like walking but went downtown anyway to do some work, BUT I DID MY WALK for 25-30 minutes non stop on the way back...sweated which may help break fever.. lunch two granola bars and an eggy bomba...
Wanted to do my routine but just not up to par.. am going to get a little work done but I think I am going to take most of my day off.A nap sounds great about now!
Dinner will be with significant others' Mother who's making something Peruvian -rice and probably cou cou[chicken with dried potatoes,almonds and mint]

vanfreak
09-16-2002, 03:26 PM
Well today didn't go exactly as planned..Have a bit of a cold, slight fever[probably due to being stressed out about work]
felt a little weak and gave in to a bad craving had english muffins with butter.. YEACHHHHH![but god it was good]
Didn't feel like walking but went downtown anyway to do some work, BUT I DID MY WALK for 25-30 minutes non stop on the way back...sweated which may help break fever.. lunch two granola bars and an eggy bomba...
Wanted to do my routine but just not up to par.. am going to get a little work done but I think I am going to take most of my day off.A nap sounds great about now!
Dinner will be with significant others' Mother who's making something Peruvian -rice and probably cou cou[chicken with dried potatoes,almonds and mint]

vanfreak
09-30-2002, 06:39 PM
Okay..lets see...
Took 6 days off of weights and noticed I actually grew- have been walking almost every day for thirty to fourty minutes non stop..really trying to lose those love handles.. but back into the weights...

Yesterday- morning two cups of coffee,granola bar, eggy bomba[half cup egg whites, half cup soy milk, one banana]
Vege green multivitamin
Gym-Bench press 4 X 70 very slooow...
Military press first two sets of 8 with 90..last two sets with 25...
Tricep Pulldowns 5X 25 increased to thirty for final set- did both palms up and palms down......Kept elbows pressed to sides as much as possible...

TODAY
Squats 4 sets - 2 sets of 10 with 90, 2 sets of 10 with 140....
4 sets of 12 raises with 50...
My right leg was bothering me a bit so took it easier..didn't get to my calves which kinda ticked me off...
BUT I STILL WALKED ALL THE WAY HOME- fourty minutes.....some starting and stoiping as it wasn't my usual route...
tomorrow rest , maybe some swimming.....

Relentless
10-01-2002, 03:19 PM
COmments:
1) Eat smaller meals, more often. Learn to structure your diet; if you want to eliminate bodyfat, diet will do more than walking (though walking is not gonna hurt). personally, I eat at 5:30, 8:30, 11:00, 1:30, 4:30 and 8:00pm, though this is a little fanatical for some. Bottom line: spread your meals out, eat more of 'em and eat often.

2) Might want to put shoulders on its own day

3) Deadlifts won't do much for your lats. Pulldowns/Rows work your lats. Maybe put deads on a shoulder/trap day?

4) you have a lot of compound movements, that's generally good. You may want to mix things up a bit and add in one or two isolations to really hit individual bodyparts.

5) Generally, the best thing you can do for lifts is to record everything and focus on doing MORE every time you go to the gym, whether its 1 more rep, 1 more pound, whatever.

6) You may want to consider mixing up rep ranges a bit in your workouts. Try some heavier sets at 4-6 reps in addition to a set or two at 8-12 reps as you've been doing...

7) Based on your lifts and your pic, you probably have more than 15% BF. No big deal, but I think that it is inaccurate.

vanfreak
10-02-2002, 01:03 AM
Thank you Callahan!
Thats exactly the kind of advice I needed!
yes I do have only 15% bodyfat and I would agree with you I thought it would be more-18 to 20-but I had it tested at the gym , and apparently thats what it was-and believe me I don't believe it either...
I always feel like I am not working my lats with pulldowns..rows I should start..lead with the elbows correct..???
and again I did try doing two very heavy sets then finishing with two lighter sets but of course someone told me I was doing it wrong...
am also trying to fit in the time to do some swimming and hard core elliptical training...
but then again I am going to be walking all over Los Angeles on Thursday and Friday on a business trip so that might suffice until I get back...
keep the critiques coming...

Relentless
10-02-2002, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by vanfreak
I always feel like I am not working my lats with pulldowns..rows I should start..lead with the elbows correct..???

Sorta. You want to focus on your lats on both exercises; for pulldowns, you want to bring your arms and try to touch your lower back with your elbows at the bottom of the motion (you can't, but that's what you can envision). For rows, likewise, but maybe think as well about making your shoulder blades touch at the top of the 'row'. You may want to try a false-grip pulldown; the trick is to make your lats work and not sway your body and allow your momentum to do the work!

and again I did try doing two very heavy sets then finishing with two lighter sets but of course someone told me I was doing it wrong...

Everyone has an opinion. Some of them are even right. What's important is to experiment and find what is RIGHT FOR YOU. Try my suggestion maybe, try some other things; pay attention to your body and adjust your workouts based on what you feel really works. You may also find your body needs you to change workout style/intensity in order to maintain growth.

vanfreak
10-15-2002, 08:13 PM
Well back from LA- and did a lot reading while I was waiting in the Airport..
I realise that although my diet may be somewhat okay, I am doing the wrong types of exercises for my body type..I was reading about body types e.g. endomorph,ectomorph and mesomorph..
I figure I am an endomorph gain weight easily around my love handles and stomach[e.g. pear shape] so therefore I really need to increase my cardio and stick to basic compound movements as I have enough lean muscle just need to cut it up and show it by less bodyfat- and walking won't do it.[but ain't hurt me either]
So I have gone back on to the elliptical trainer hard core for 25-30 minutes and I'm shooting for four to five days a week, and just basic bodybuilding movements....
what say you Callahan?

vanfreak
10-22-2002, 07:04 PM
I WAS RIGHT!!!
and it only took three years of trial error and running routines up the flagpole to see if the body salutes...
DADDY is doing very well on the aerobics.. two days on@ thirty minutes -one day off- and three days a week just somebasic bodybuilding movements..[squat,bench press lat pulldowns or chins]
heres the weird thing.. My arm muscles are gettin huge-now is this because the bodyfat is going down or is it because of the constant use?..whatever I don't care because I am seeing some great quick results.....oh no I haven't lost any weight, but I am losing bodyfat and as we all know MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT...next week I am going to change it around a bit and do some swimming , but personally I like the cross trainer[also known as the Huffa Puffa]
so happy I'm going to eat me some turkey!!!!
Callahan???????

vanfreak
10-23-2002, 04:44 PM
Okay yesterday-
wake up two cups of coffee,one granola bar , one eggy bomba[half cup egg whites half cup soy milk and one banana in the blender...
WORKOUT
1]3 sets of sloooooow rows at 50 lbs first set 70 final two sets....
2]lat pulldowns 3 sets @ 70 lbs.
3] chin ups, palms facing me VERY INTENSE..... 3 sets of 4-5
4] 3 curls on a curl machine at 45 lbs...
5] hammer curls four sets each side with thumb on top of weight 10 lbs only...
6]
30 MINUTES ON THE CROSSTRAINER LISTENING TO PUNK ROCK YEEEEEHAAAA!!!!!
Photos coming soon.......

vanfreak
10-30-2002, 09:22 PM
Okay This past Monday and Tuesday..
same breakfast routine
GYM..
Four sets heavy squats one warm up set @ 90 then three sets @ 180..
leg curls @ 50 four sets..
then 30 minutes on the crosstrainer.......
Tuesday- Bench press four sets warm up set with 90 then three sets @ 110...
triceps pulldowns slow and easy correct breathing...
a few quick arm curls on a machine again slow really thinking about what I am doing...
some quick ab work and then another thirty minutes on the cross trainer...
I am right now going to take the next two days off..I feel a little bit tired and wired at the same time.. so I hope that I am going to see results with the extra day of rest...
I wish all of you a happy Halloween..
cheers...

vanfreak
01-13-2003, 01:51 AM
"YES WE HAVE NO BANANA's..we have no Banana's today.."
WEll still having my eggy bomba in the morning , but gave up the Bananas and I have noticed that I'm losing some weight even without doing th elliptical trainer..been busy so haven't done my aerobics..I am sticking with the granola bar soy milk egg white routine..
Dinner tonight was two eggs and rice and lentils...high protein and carb..
Did some very heavy lifting yesterday incline bench press, triceps..and some biceps. Day before was legs, squats,extensions, calves, curls..hold for five and I feel beat but like I accomplished something!
My new thing is to hold on a beat of FIVE as opposed to two-it is working wonders and I am seeing some great results..
Off to bed after taking my calcium and zinc.
Now only if business would improve!

vanfreak
12-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Good God!
Whats happened in that time?
wow-well lets put it in a nutshell..
I shut my business down, went back to an old job began studying, became a certified personal trainer, [at the age of 45]couldn't get hired got a job as a volunteer, got hired on a whim by THE BEST ATHLETIC FACILITY IN THE WORLD[I am not kidding] and now was just booked solid and couldn't accept clients until the end of November..
I just finished s deadlifting 275 lbs for multiple sets and reps yesterday, can squat 250..not bad for a bald dyslexic freak!!!
More entries to come , but life is very cool..