PDA

View Full Version : few questions about protein

jjcool
09-16-2002, 06:24 PM
hi,

just a few questions about protein,

1, im in uk and seems everyware is very expensive 22 pound for 1 kg tub, is there any other, otheer than tubs could i take for protein? i.e like a shake, as is this just as good as the tubs?

2, if i can get a shake or somethink else for protein what do u suggest (im a begginner and been told to take at least 300 grams a day)

3, is it protein thats the main thing that helps the musles grow ?

4, what happens if u dont take enought protein, does it delay the musile growth?

Hercule
09-16-2002, 06:34 PM
1. I don't know how much a pound is in the American Dollar, but here you can get 5lbs(bout 2kg) for 20.00.
2.Eat lots of meat. Unless you weigh over 300lbs, forget it. I weigh 185lbs., and get about 150g. of protein a day. If you are a bodybuilder then you need to get about a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.
3. Sorta
4. Yes

LAM
09-16-2002, 06:56 PM
what are your stats ?

jjcool
09-16-2002, 07:03 PM

Height/Weight:6'3"/15 stone

TreeTrunks
09-16-2002, 07:32 PM
how many pounds is 1 stone?

jjcool
09-16-2002, 08:32 PM
i think 1 stone=14 pounds

so im around 210 lbs

also if i dont buy tub of protein, is there any alternatives like food which are very high in protein which i could use instead of buying the tubs or proper protein??

might be wrong but i think i need 210 grams a day of protein,

also is this a good diet to bulk?

breakfast - 1/2 cup of oatmeal in water / 2 scrambled eggs glass of milk

snack - turkey sandwhich -glass of milk

lunch - 2 chicken breasts a potatoe and milk

snack - turkey sandwhich - glass of milk

dinner - 2 chicken breasts-glass of milk

before bed - 2 egg whites-glass of milk

or do u think the weight gain powders are better?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-17-2002, 04:20 AM
You'd do ok with 200g or so a day of protein.

Whoever recommended 300g needs a punch. When i was 220 a few months ago i was growing fine on about 200g a day.

You can easily get 200g from real food. If you wanna get some protein powder like whey they save it for post workout only or times of inconvienience. No need to be using it any other time when you can get real food doon yer neck.

You'll also save a lot of money.

Go to www.anabolicextreme.com (i think that's the right link. Something like that anyway) and get a 5lb tub of EAS simply whey to the tune of 30 notes. If you save a few scoops for post train only it'll last months.

Amino acids are the "building blocks" of cells, including muscle, so yes (since proteins are chains of amino acids).

If you take no protein, then chances are your body will breakdown tissue (usually muscle first since it's not as important as say, brain, heart or liver tissues) cause it needs protein to upkeep these more important tissues (remember, cells are continuously being replaced as others die).

Remember though, take in 400g protein a day and you won't grow (much, if at all) unless your calorie needs are met and surpassed.

The diet may be ok, but have you worked ut the calories? You can either work out calories and go from them to determine how much weight to put on, or weigh yourself now, do the diet for a week and see how much you gain/lose or maintain. If you lose weight, eat more until you start to gain (aim for 0.5-1lb a week, discounting any glycogen/water weight or sodium retention weight gain), if you gain too much (ie more than 2lb will most likely be more fat than muscle, unless you're a brand new lifter who will probably gain quite a bit quite soon) then eat less. If you maintain, eat more.

It might be a good idea to work out calories and macronutrient intakes though. especially since you have very few EFA's coming in.

Eat:

eggs, steak, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, tuna, other fish for protein.

Eat:

oats, rice, pasta, vegetables for carbs.

Eat:

oils (flaxseed, walnut, olive), nuts for fat.

Flax, walnut oil, canola oil, udos oil (don't think you can get that in the UK m'afraid), rape seed oil (is that canola or am i just being dumb here?) are decent for EFA's. Also, if you can stand the taste, eat oily fish like mackerel about thrice weekly for EFA's. There's other fish that have efa's too, but i've totally blanked my head of them right now, sorry. Doc will tell ya though.

Puttn
09-17-2002, 06:17 AM
i disagree i think protein is the only food that can be used for energy and building blocks there for you cant get too much

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-17-2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Puttn
i disagree i think protein is the only food that can be used for energy and building blocks there for you cant get too much

Well then you have a very narrow channel of thought and are quite ill-informed.

Tryska
09-17-2002, 07:59 AM

hmm...you sure about that?

fats are the "building blocks" of hormones, which are like the "builders" of muscle. And both carbs and fats convert to energy, and a lot easier then protein does.

P.s. I love Robboe.

Puttn
09-17-2002, 08:06 AM
go to www.met-rx.com and read there studies they have proof and thats where i got my info... cavemen lived off protein only for long times and they were fine.... yes i know that you need a balance but i prefer to get a lil extra calories from adding protein than another source

Tryska
09-17-2002, 08:07 AM
i know you didn't just tell me to go to met-rx the protein bar manufacturer for fact.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-17-2002, 08:07 AM
go to www.met-rx.com and read there studies they have proof and thats where i got my info... cavemen lived off protein only for long times and they were fine.... yes i know that you need a balance but i prefer to get a lil extra calories from adding protein than another source

Ah, so if i go there i can read that "protein is the only food that can be used for energy..."

Is that right?