PDA

View Full Version : Water Intoxication

Otter
09-17-2002, 11:33 AM
I drink over a gallon of water every day. Sometimes I drink a gallon during the 8 hour work day. Here I am thinking it's a good thing and then I read this ...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,63338,00.html

So my question is this ... how much is too much? How do I know if I'm getting into a dangerous zone?

Fu*k, tell me somebody knows something about this .........

millertime
09-17-2002, 11:35 AM
I read that in high times years ago, i don't know how true it is.

Itís caused by water seeping into your brain, no joke. Itís too much when water starts to drain out your ears.

Otter
09-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Anyway ..... it's caused by the increased amount of water diluting the amount of sodium in your blood necessary for proper brain and muscular function. I just want to know how extreme you'd have to get to be in potential trouble.

raniali
09-17-2002, 11:40 AM
I hardly think you need worry about a mere gallon a day. I drink 2 myself. I think you will KNOW when you are drinking too much ... maybe when it nauseates you and hurts!

Puttn
09-17-2002, 11:42 AM
i think the only way to know if your drinking too much is if you feel like your drowning

Otter
09-17-2002, 11:46 AM
Ok, I'm breathing again. Did a little research on the web and I think I'm ok. I eat 6 meals a day, and each of those contains a fair amount of sodium, so I doubt I have to worry. Plus, I sweat like a priest at a little league game anyway, so I think I need all I can get.

LAM
09-17-2002, 12:04 PM
An athlete involved in a rigorous weight-training regimen, that follows a healthy diet and has healthy organs does not need to worry about such things...

Spawn_X
09-17-2002, 06:01 PM
since this is related to water here's a quick question..

sometimes when i am REAL thirsty (after done working on a car nonstop for a couple hours for example) i grab the water (room temp or cold, doesn't matter) gulp it down..

everything is ok however right after i gulp it down i get INCREDIBLE pain..

no its NOT me swallowing a little bit of air that goes away after a nice little burp, no. i am talking about a pain for 5-10 minutes... once it kicks in i find it hard to stand there and not slouch from the pain..

any idea on what that could be ? i mean its just water...

nightop
09-18-2002, 03:22 PM
I read the same article the other day on foxnews.com and I shoot for 1-1.5 gals per day and believe it to be a safe amount. There are sooo many benefits to high water intake, and with the sheer number of people drinking 2 gals/day and not having probs, I think 1-1.5 is fine.

Stray
09-19-2002, 08:39 AM
i am talking about a pain for 5-10 minutes... once it kicks in i find it hard to stand there and not slouch from the pain..

I get that too...my theory (not being a doctor or anything) is it's your esophogus expanding too quickly as the water shoots down...if its cold it may be the cold water pissing off the other organs (similair to a cold headache)...or perhaps were just freaks.

Yanick
09-19-2002, 10:18 AM
Water intoxication usually happens with long distance endurance athletes and people on ecstacy.

Basically when the LDE athletes run they sweat out a lot of sodium which creates an imbalance. By drinking just plain water you dillute the sodium creating even more of an imbalance then some stuff happens, and you pretty much just die.

People on ecstacy drink lots of water, because of the drug and basically the same thing happens.

Basically, don't worry about it.

Also about the pain, is it like a cramp pain? I'm not sure where i'm getting this from, but i believe that sodium is somehow involved in cramps (too much/too little?).

body
09-19-2002, 11:34 AM
the people who have died normally have been on esctasy. this stop your brain telling you, you have drank so much.
especially when they go dancing all night.

its hard normally to die.
if you drank a gallon in like 10 minutes. and did not go the tiolet then you may have a problem. but your going to be bloated and have difficulty doing that. you feel very full up.

ChrisH
09-21-2002, 09:23 AM
Couldn't you just mix a bit of salt in with the water? :D