PDA

View Full Version : MILK.... good or bad?

voodazz
09-17-2002, 01:13 PM
I've noticed something in all the plans I've read over the years. Most if not all seem to be devoid of good 'ol milk. I drink milk like a freakin' calf, personally no matter what diet plan I happen to be on. I've always thought that milk was an excellent source of protein, potassium and a wealth of other nutrients. Is this true or have I been decieved by the goverment?!:confused: Just wondering.

millertime
09-17-2002, 01:23 PM
Milk is great to drink; itís a great source of protein.

Yes the government is trying to deceive you. Quick put on your tin foil hat to stop their mind reading rays.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-17-2002, 01:27 PM
Another forum i frequent has a lot of the memebrs dead against milk cause of it's sugar content.

Fair enough, on a cut, milk doesn't fill me and i find tracking it's calories hard so i avoid it. But if i needed the cals then there's no problem with it.

And if you like it, drink it. Simple.

Joey G.
09-17-2002, 01:33 PM
Milk is the best !!! I probably go through about 2.5 gallons a week. mmmmmmmm.........mmmmmmmmmmmm............good !!

Yanick
09-17-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Another forum i frequent has a lot of the memebrs dead against milk cause of it's sugar content.

When i read the thread title i thought about the exact same thing.

Wonder if it might spark a debate on here?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-17-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Yanick

When i read the thread title i thought about the exact same thing.

Wonder if it might spark a debate on here?

Nah, there's no problems on here about members chosing other routes to do things.

If they wanna drink milk then power to them, so long as if they're cutting they include it in their overall calorie intake and control any cravings it may give them.

LAM
09-17-2002, 02:41 PM
Personally I am not a fan of milk and might drink 1-2 gal a year from ice cream consumption...

From what I have read milk is best consumed alone and should not be used to wash down foods.

body
09-17-2002, 02:44 PM
what else are you going to put your protien in.

i love the stuff. convient, great tasting. good source of vits and mineral.

Even the worst cook can't get it wrong. its more pleasant than tuna in brine.

ccwgriff
09-17-2002, 02:45 PM
I've always been quite the milk fan myself. It has its place in the bodybuilders diet. Just remember, everything in moderation.(except poundage);)

AdamGberg
09-17-2002, 02:59 PM
"milk does the body good..." come on, t.v. hasn't lied to me yet!:D :thumbup: :evillaugh

maktub
09-17-2002, 04:06 PM
i dont know how anyone could drink a meal replacement without it. reminds me of hot chocolate mixed with water :vomit

Jilla82
09-17-2002, 05:30 PM
ehhh, i refuse to drink my whey with water!!!

TreeTrunks
09-17-2002, 05:38 PM
Milk is one of the best "foods" a bbodybuilder can consume. Me personally I go through a gallon every 2 days. or a half gallon a day.

Protein? 8-9 grams per 8 oz.

Sugar? Lactose is low GI, a desirable carbohydrate. That means no sharp rise in blood sugar levels, most excellent whether it be a bulk or cut diet.

Fat? Depending on your goals (bulk, cut, maintain) you've got skim, whole, 1%, and 2%.

And remember old time bodybuilders like arnold, zane, columbu they didn't have supplements they ate real foods. Take a look in one of Arnolds books and see what all he ate, you bet he had milk like everyday. albeit they took steroids, but without food steroids don't help that much.

I think milk is like the best "food" one can consume.

Shocker
09-17-2002, 05:49 PM
and it's damn cheap - i go to the store on my way home from the gym and I think, hmm go for pre-package protein shake $5 or just grab a litre of milk - $1.50 to give you a good serve of protein, carbs and fat after training.

Clark
09-17-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Shocker
and it's damn cheap - i go to the store on my way home from the gym and I think, hmm go for pre-package protein shake $5 or just grab a litre of milk - $1.50 to give you a good serve of protein, carbs and fat after training.

1) you dont want fat post-workout
2) lactose is a brutal sugar for post workout shake
3) milk protein has casein in it which is also a bad choice for protein post workout

BUFF STUFF
09-17-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Clark

3) milk protein has casein in it which is also a bad choice for protein post workout

I use milk pre workout, because the casein is slow digesting so you most likely absorb it when yove finished training.

Casein is a one of the better proteins for the body to absorb and use well it has a higher BV value than beef aperantly

Milk is good cheap and healthy

I admit i was against it when i read what some supplement companys said like "milk produces bad side effects like bloating,wind ect" What garbage! whey is just as bad for wind and bloating!! besides whey is just a waste product of cheese.

:study: Scienific studys show that calcium is the most important minaral needed to prevent disease, coral calcium is the best for absorbation, then milk. calcium tablets are very difficult for the body to absorb

TreeTrunks
09-18-2002, 09:44 AM
Besides where do you think whey protein comes from? MILK!!!

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
Sugar? Lactose is low GI, a desirable carbohydrate. That means no sharp rise in blood sugar levels, most excellent whether it be a bulk or cut diet.

True, it may be low GI, but it converts to sugar quite repidly in the body and doesn't particularly feeling full very long, except for the clots the casein form in the gastrointestinal tract.

And remember old time bodybuilders like arnold, zane, columbu they didn't have supplements they ate real foods. Take a look in one of Arnolds books and see what all he ate, you bet he had milk like everyday.

As unimportnat as this actually is in this thread (my point coming up that is), i don't think Arnold actually drank milk.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-18-2002, 11:41 AM

1) depends on diet structure and/or goals.

2. Possibly yes.

3. You may be mistaken there. A combination of casein and whey may actually be a good idea.

But if money is a problem and milk is all the dude could afford, then it doesn't matter that much. Sure, straight whey with dextrose would be a beneficial choice, but protein sysnthesis is elevated for up to 36 hours post workout, so as long as overall calories and protein are sufficient, if milk is all that financial restraints allowed for then fine.

body
09-18-2002, 02:22 PM

As unimportnat as this actually is in this thread (my point coming up that is), i don't think Arnold actually drank milk.

rob - do you watch lair on BBC2 monday 9:30. the comdey quiz show where there are 5 lairs and 1 truth teller?

well this week they had 6 people who claimed to live with celebrities. one was telling the truth it was arnold landlord in the late 60's.

she said he drank lots of milk.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-18-2002, 02:27 PM
Steve - nah i didn't, man. But i have got pumping iron, and on it he, himself says he doesn't drink milk.

Beer, sure. But milk, no.

body
09-18-2002, 02:34 PM
have you read his 1970's autobiography?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-18-2002, 02:37 PM
Hell no.

I don't give a rats ass about Arnold.

He was and still is well overrated.

And anything to do with pro-BBing and competiton sucks if you ask me.

TreeTrunks
09-18-2002, 02:41 PM
in his book he drank milk 1-2 glasses with every meal. Yeah im pumping iron he was asked if he drank skim milk and he said "milk? milk is for babies, when you grow up you drink beer." I think thats just arnold, being arnold.

You think arnold is overrated? I guess I can see where you'd think that. Just out of curiosity who does have a good physique.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-18-2002, 02:45 PM
Lots of people have good physiques.

Arnold had a great one, but the way people talk about him on the net and in my gym is just dumb.

A bit like how Kurt Cobain is almost legendary for stringing together a few power chords. Sure, the music was good, but he's achieved almost god-like status, and that's just OTT.

I prefer physiques that are more proportional and not 'bulky'. For instance, i like physiques like Gino's, GeneticallyGifted, Belial and hell, eve cock-boy Ronan.

Ritzol
09-21-2002, 09:34 PM

Why not? :confused:

the_T_man
09-21-2002, 10:08 PM
OK...now before we go too much further, I think y'all need to know a little more about sugar...

There are 3 different kinds.

1) fructose - found mainly in fruits, good for you
2) glucose - the kind of sugar found naturaly in one's body, good for you
3)sucrose - the bad stuff, candy and all that junk is sucrose

Now, I am not sure exactlt what type of sugar is contained by milk, but by using commen sense (milk comes from an animal, glucose comes naturally from animals) I wouild venture my guess in that glucose is the kind of sugar you find in milk. I have always been in support of milk, and have never seen any bad results. I say go for it (except if you're cutting, make sure it's skim!;))

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-22-2002, 06:30 AM
The sugar in milk is lactose.

A "sugar" is generally a carbohydrate with one or two molecules. That is, either a monosaccharide or a dissacharide.

Usually anything over two molecules is called a polysaccharide and is deemd "complex". Which, incidentanlly, is how maltodextrin is called "complex". It's between 3 and 8 molecules of glucose long so it can be classified as this. Things like oatmeal and rice have chains up to hundreds long, called starches.

Bit of a throw off how companies can claim malto to be complex etc... if you ask me.

Anyhoo, T-Man, there's more than three sugars.

The monos are glucose, fructose and galactose.

The dis are sucrose (glucose + fructose), lactose (glucose + galactose) and maltose (glucose + glucose).

Looking at the latter, you see where the name "maltodextrin" comes from (Glucose + glucose + glucose etc....)

body
09-24-2002, 01:11 PM
oligosaccharides can be used to term carb molecule made up of 3 to 10 sugars long.

though remember some of these complex carb are broken down a lot before they get to digestion.

orbital
09-24-2002, 01:28 PM
Lots of people have good physiques.

Arnold had a great one, but the way people talk about him on the net and in my gym is just dumb.

A bit like how Kurt Cobain is almost legendary for stringing together a few power chords. Sure, the music was good, but he's achieved almost god-like status, and that's just OTT.

I prefer physiques that are more proportional and not 'bulky'. For instance, i like physiques like Gino's, GeneticallyGifted, Belial and hell, eve cock-boy Ronan.

I see your point. I think the reason people are so reverent towards people like Arnold and Kurt is b/c of the subsequent influence they had. At least that is the way I look at it.