PDA

View Full Version : Too much protein?

Jeff2840
09-18-2002, 03:24 PM
I've read in here that you're supposed to have 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh. As a result, I'm supposed to have about 200 grams of protein. That's quite a bit.

I have whey protein powder which gives me 20 grams per serving. I was wondering if it was bad to have 2-3 servings a day. In addition, is there a serving limit which I should be aware of?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-18-2002, 03:47 PM
The only bad thing per se is the cost of doing so.

200g is about average for most people.

It's quite easily achieved via real food that comes at a much lower price than whey (unless you have some magic deal on whey somewhere?)

Look into:

tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, nuts, cheap chicken breasts? cheap turkey?

teddyrogers
09-18-2002, 03:50 PM
im not an expert but i think u should aim for about 1.5 g per lbs of bodyweight.
so u should be aiming for about 300g of protein which should be split up into 6 meals through the day making 50g of protein per meal. u can only take in so much protein per meal. all meals should be between 2 and 3 hours apart.
i hope this helps.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-18-2002, 04:03 PM
1g per lb is fine.

Providing your overall calorie intake is sufficient you'll grow (that is, providing you're actually aiming to add 'gain' and not 'cut').

Blood&Iron
09-18-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

It's quite easily achieved via real food that comes at a much lower price than whey (unless you have some magic deal on whey somewhere?)

Whey has some big drawbacks, but I don't think price is one of them. I've never down a cost-analysis, but I'd be surprised if any other protein source is as cheap.

If you buy 10lbs Optimum, at $48 US, that's ~144 servings, each containing 22g protein. So, it's about 33 cents for 22g protein. I doubt there's anything cheaper...but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Maki Riddington
09-18-2002, 04:54 PM
Blood, what are some of wheys drawbacks?

Jilla82
09-18-2002, 04:59 PM
getting 200 grams of protein is easier said then done. Im at school during the week and I also work, that makes things very difficult. I get around 130 or 140 grams of protein a day, and I weight 200 pounds. I actually made a thread about the same thing.

gopher
09-18-2002, 09:28 PM
8 oz of chicken or lean beef has about 50 grams of protein. A 6 oz can of tuna and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese has 48 grams of protein. 1 cup of egg whites has 26 grams. If you are serious about adding lean mass you need to eat your protein. Work or school is not a good excuse for not eating. Prepair your meals in advance and pack a cooler and take it with you.

duque21
09-18-2002, 10:21 PM
I think whey protein has no real draw backs, it might not serve what you want, but shyt it is awsome stuff. The only thing I dont love about it, is it is super fast absorbing, and that is a real good thing also. But out of any other protein it has the highest bio-avalibility, highest source of bcca's and its cheap.

Gopher I like your attitude. I feel like pepole bytch too much about how hard it is to get their protein. Its not hard, just be prepared.

Ti1301
09-19-2002, 03:06 AM
getting 200 grams of protein is easier said then done. Im at school during the week and I also work, that makes things very difficult. I get around 130 or 140 grams of protein a day, and I weight 200 pounds. I actually made a thread about the same thing.

I agree with this, I'm lucky if I can break 150 g a day.

8 oz of chicken or lean beef has about 50 grams of protein. A 6 oz can of tuna and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese has 48 grams of protein. 1 cup of egg whites has 26 grams. If you are serious about adding lean mass you need to eat your protein. Work or school is not a good excuse for not eating. Prepair your meals in advance and pack a cooler and take it with you.
This is easier said then done. Maybe it's easy for you to do it, but for us students it's not that easy especially us students who work too.

If you take a survey you'll find out that too many people are too busy to eat properly everyday.

Like us working students don't already suffer from a lack of sleep already, to wake up earlier and prepare meals gives us even less sleep. It's just not that easy to do, not to mention adding in time at the gym. Sometimes I work till 11 or 12 midnight and go to school during the day, it's just tough.

MWB
09-19-2002, 03:55 AM
I'm a working college student and I eat 200+ grams of protein by accident. It's not hard at all to do. Eat a good breakfast and dinner, take 2-3 small high protein meals with you in one of those little igloo cooler/lunchbox things and eat between classes and on the way to work. Before bed eat a big serving of cottage cheese or protein blend shake. It only takes me about 10 minutes to fix my on the go meals for the next day.

YatesNightBlade
09-19-2002, 04:45 AM
Better to eat too much then too little.

body
09-19-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Whey has some big drawbacks, but I don't think price is one of them. I've never down a cost-analysis, but I'd be surprised if any other protein source is as cheap.

If you buy 10lbs Optimum, at $48 US, that's ~144 servings, each containing 22g protein. So, it's about 33 cents for 22g protein. I doubt there's anything cheaper...but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

UHT milk, corned beef.

Yanick
09-19-2002, 10:28 AM
I totally cannot stand all of you people who bitch about work and school. I'm in High School and i wake up at 530am everyday go to school till 11am then go STRAIGHT to work till 530pm get home around 600pm, eat as fast as possible then go to the gym at 630-700pm, i get home from the gym around 800-900pm prepare my meals for the next day (tuna + mayo + olive oil [i'm CKD'ing right now] takes 5 min to make, i eat 2 of those/day) then do homework and hopefully by 1000pm i'm sleeping. I do this 5x/week.

And i don't even use a cooler, it just takes some planning. However, i am going to get a cooler and stick it in my car, that way i can have all my food with me all the time.

I don't care how strict your school might be about food/drink, but you ask to go to the bathroom and down your shake in 2 minutes. Take 10 min from your job and eat your tuna salad, granted things like chicken breast/eggs might take a lil longer to make, but i'm pretty much surviving on tuna/eggs/bacon/shakes right now.

Again i just want to say, it takes some planning and dedication.

Stray
09-19-2002, 11:01 AM
Again i just want to say, it takes some planning and dedication

I punched my boss in the face when he commented on my meals.Hows THAT for dedication and planning!

Yanick
09-19-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Stray

I punched my boss in the face when he commented on my meals.Hows THAT for dedication and planning!

LMAO! Thats the funniest thing i've read in a while!

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Stray

It's only good if you stamped on his head while he was down.

Jilla82
09-19-2002, 03:12 PM
also add that eating all this food is expensive as hell!!!!! my pockets are very slim since I started all of this.

So what do you guys normally eat during the day? pack lunch meat sandwiches? chicken? what? give us some ideas.

duque21
09-19-2002, 03:26 PM
These are foods I use to bulk up and do not represent a concern for gaining fat. Evne though I do try to keep the fats down

1. Tuna, no fat and very cheap
2. 2% Milk, great stuff, can make shakes, or chocolate
3. Chicken Breast, countless dishes possible with this stuff
4. Whole wheat bread, low fat, natural, 3g of protein per slice
5. Eggs/Egg whites, whole egg=6g of protein, whites 3.7g
6. Non fat yougurt, taste great non prep, and cheap
7. Cheese
8. Oatmeal, great way to start day, cheap
9. Steaks, lean meats only though
10. Salmon/steam it and your set, not cheap though

Blood&Iron
09-19-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
Blood, what are some of wheys drawbacks?
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=whey++labile+Lyle+McDonald+group:misc.fitness.weights&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3AD48515.AEFC07D4%40onr.com&rnum=1

galileo
09-19-2002, 03:59 PM
No matter what Lyle writes, I am amused.

(i.e. labile, do you know what that
word means, it's not part of a woman's c*nt, just so you know)

Vido
09-19-2002, 04:39 PM
For everyone on here that says they don't have sufficient time to make meals take heed. GET YOUR ASS OFF WBB AND GET IN THE KITCHEN!

body
09-19-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Vido
For everyone on here that says they don't have sufficient time to make meals take heed. GET YOUR ASS OFF WBB AND GET IN THE KITCHEN!

I can type and eat.

Flyersfan
09-20-2002, 03:34 PM
Wow. I'm not versed in the chronicles of Lyle, but that was a helluva rant. The thread certainly degenerated from there...

Regardless, I don't know about the rest of you but I'm gonna keep ingesting my whey. I have no desire to drink ludicrous amounts of milk for the casein or spend even more money for a non-whey protein powder. It strikes me as diminishing returns.

Vido
09-20-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by body

I can type and eat.

I would hope so :D. The point is that maybe these people should take time away from certain aspects of their lives, allowing more time for cooking and proper nutrition.

Blood&Iron
09-20-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Flyersfan
Wow. I'm not versed in the chronicles of Lyle, but that was a helluva rant. The thread certainly degenerated from there...

Regardless, I don't know about the rest of you but I'm gonna keep ingesting my whey. I have no desire to drink ludicrous amounts of milk for the casein or spend even more money for a non-whey protein powder. It strikes me as diminishing returns.
HSN Driver isn't terribly expensive. It's about $28 for two pounds from Netrition(It's primary ingredient is micellar casein. Also contains calcium caseinate and egg albumen) If that's too expensive, you can buy straight calcium caseinate(or micellar casein--it's twice as expensive though) from the Protein Factory(although it tastes a lot crappier than the HSN product) for about 5 bucks per lb.