PDA

View Full Version : mission: BULK

daftgem
09-18-2002, 09:51 PM
:confused: I am currently 177 pounds, 5'9, and 17 years of age. I have been lifting for about 1.5 years, seriously only for 6 months. In early summer i started a cut using Keto. After 4 weeks, i upped the carbs and went to a low carb diet, roughly 40p/45f/15c. I have been happy with my results, i have achived a decent 4 pack and overall definition. Now that the weathers cooling i wish to start a bulk. I have opted for an isocaloric split 33/33/33. I am going to go for roughly 2400-2600 cals a day. During my cut i was at 2100 cals a day. I have some concerns though and questions for you vets.

1. I am concerned about gaing lots of fat. My body weight has been as high as 210, as low as 165, however its been stable at 175ish for about a year and a half. I dont know what to expect exactly with this bulk, and i need some advice as to keeping fat loss minumum. any tips?

2. I jog roughly 9 miles a week (3x3). Am i going to have to eliminate this to produce gains?

3. I have a feeling some will say the cals are to low. I am afraid of upping to 3000~ because of fat gain. Should i just suck it up and up the cals?

Thanks in advance for the help

duque21
09-18-2002, 10:16 PM
I think your going to have to add a few pounds of fat if you want to add some muscle, it can be done with out gaining any ft, but its much harder and the gains are slower. So I think it is a matter of what is important to you.

***1. I am concerned about gaing lots of fat. My body weight has been as high as 210, as low as 165, however its been stable at 175ish for about a year and a half. I dont know what to expect exactly with this bulk, and i need some advice as to keeping fat loss minumum. any tips?

---i think the best way from some oneof your age to do that, and it may not work. But try to follow a supper high protein diet of at leaste 2800-3000 calories maybe a 35%carb 45%protein 20%fat
And if your really concerned with weight gain just try to get good fats.

***2. I jog roughly 9 miles a week (3x3). Am i going to have to eliminate this to produce gains?

---I think that if you eat your normal calories and do the running very far sppereate rom your lifting you might be fine, when you do run, try to load up on some carbs before hand to spare you muscles

****3. I have a feeling some will say the cals are to low. I am afraid of upping to 3000~ because of fat gain. Should i just suck it up and up the cals?

---Yes!!! Its easier to lose fat than gain muslce

no these are just all opinions of mine, I am not saying I have given you the answers but hopefully helped you along...like I tell every one, do what works best for you, we are all different.

nightop
09-18-2002, 10:29 PM
the above by dugue is some good advice..

I would also be sure you know your exact maintenance caloric intake and then increase that by a few hundred cals slowly... if your fat accumulation is too much, throttle back some.... a good diet plan/journal is an important tool.... for overall caloric calculations this site > http://www.wannabebig.com/archive.php?catid=2 has a good article called "dieting basics"... read both pages of it.

Also keep in mind that the more muscle you gain, the higher your maintenance level becomes (I've heard anywhere from 40-60 additional cals are needed for every pound of muscle gained... not sure how true this is.. but just keep this in mind).

Shao-LiN
09-18-2002, 11:31 PM
If you expect to gain much, you need to eat more.