PDA

View Full Version : Ketosis and Weight Lifting

njtrq
09-21-2002, 09:34 PM
If I do a total ketogenic diet (under 30 grams of carbs, 100+ grams of fat and 100+ grams of protein) while simultaneously lifting weights(moderate, not to intense workouts) will I lose muscle? I hear conflitcing views everywhere. I hear that ketosis preserves muscle better than any other diet and then the same people say that carb-ups help rebuild muscle lost from ketosis. I'm a 22 year old male, 5'9" 200 lbs. I want to cut 15 pounds and i've tried everything imagineable. Could someone please clear things up for me. The only way i lost fat in the past was with low-carb diets but i never lifted while on them. I have been lifting for the last 2 years and over did it on the bulk-up phase. Any advice on lifting while in prolonged ketosis will be greatly appreciated. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

iLUDEd
09-22-2002, 12:21 AM
if you wana go keto, theres an article on here about training while on it, basically what you do is this..

just say your aiming to go keto mon-fri, and you carb up on sat and sunday.. you split a full body workout over monday and tuesday (after youve carbed up), and you do a full body workout on friday (before you carb up again) which would only be like 1 set of everything..

you most likely will lose muscle, as its carbs that kinda help you keep your muscles hard.. and dont forget to take your multi-vitamins..

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-22-2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by njtrq
[B]If I do a total ketogenic diet (under 30 grams of carbs, 100+ grams of fat and 100+ grams of protein) while simultaneously lifting weights(moderate, not to intense workouts) will I lose muscle?

Those numbers aren't the requirements for keto for everyone. Ketosis generally comes with 75% of fat coming from fat and 25% from protein. Most people hit ketosis with liver glycogen at about 50 mol/dm. Just eating 100g+ fat and 100g+ protein won't necessarily get you into ketosis.

I hear conflitcing views everywhere. I hear that ketosis preserves muscle better than any other diet

Apparently only up until around the 15% body fat margin.

and then the same people say that carb-ups help rebuild muscle lost from ketosis.

Yeah, most do notice this.

I'm a 22 year old male, 5'9" 200 lbs. I want to cut 15 pounds and i've tried everything imagineable.

You count calories, yeah?

If not, do so.

You don't have to go the ketosis route to drop fat.

Puttn
09-22-2002, 08:51 AM
if you do a ketosis diet do you need your fat up... i think fat is overrated and people dont get enuff... what are your opinions

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Puttn
if you do a ketosis diet do you need your fat up... i think fat is overrated and people dont get enuff... what are your opinions

What are you asking? It's not clear.

raniali
09-23-2002, 11:25 AM
if you are worried about training on keto ... it might be a better bet to follow a TKD ...therefore you can still train fairly regularly but you miss the opportunity to carb binge though

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-23-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by raniali
if you are worried about training on keto ... it might be a better bet to follow a TKD ...therefore you can still train fairly regularly but you miss the opportunity to carb binge though

Well, with TKD's the loads are usually put either every 2nd, 3rd or 4th week, depending upon the individual, so you still get to binge eventually if you like.

Behemoth
09-23-2002, 02:07 PM
What is a TKD, and how does it work?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-23-2002, 02:11 PM
Targeted ketogenic diet.

You basically stay in ketosis until the timings around your training.

You can either take in carbs before and after training, or some chose just before training.

Afterwards you get back into ketosis as quick as possible.

Some do carb loading every two weeks, as opposed to every weekend on a CKD, or every three weeks, or every four weeks.