PDA

View Full Version : Does the desire for food vary for different people?

09-22-2002, 04:43 PM
My question or topic of debate was difficult to sum up in the title alone so here it is:

I notice fat people are always eating and skinnier people never seem to be. At least a difference in amount or frequency seems to be different for the most part. And I'm not stereotyping because I've been noting this for a while now.

Is this a genetic thing? Are heavier set people given some sort of gene to desire the taste of food more so than skinnier people? Perhaps they have greater taste buds?

Of course there is metabolic differences between people which account for why some people lose weight easier than others but it just seems to me that some people crave food greater than others.

Can all this be genetic related. For example, endomorphs have greater cravings for bad food than do ectomorphs. Meso's perhaps being in between.

Whats the scientific reasoning for all this? Is there reasoning at all?

Thoughts, comments, theories, scientific data?

ElPietro
09-22-2002, 05:29 PM
I think it is simply based on metabolism. Generally, I have observed the opposite. Skinny guys tend to eat way more often and pack in a whole lot more food in one sitting, yet never gain weight.

Of course, some people who are obese simply also like to eat, which only compounds things.

Tryska
09-22-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
I think it is simply based on metabolism. Generally, I have observed the opposite.

me too.

altho i've see variations on both. I've seen fat chicks who spend the whole die sancking on pies. (i mean whole pies). and fat chicks who live off die soda. I've also seen skinny girls not eating at all, and/or puking up anything they do eat.

neither extreme is good.

I've found the healthiest looking people seem to eat frequently and in small meals.

Manveet
09-22-2002, 07:50 PM
ya, I've seen some skinny fooks who eat like crazy and eat like crap and they don't gain an ounce.

09-22-2002, 08:29 PM
so is there a genetic element that makes some people wanna eat like a pig daily and others not?

some people maybe having greater hormonal releases that relate to hunger?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-23-2002, 06:40 AM
Also, some people find comfort in eating and tend to eat more.

Some people eat more out of boredom (this happens to me a lot. When i've got nothing to do i, for some reason, start thinking of food and how much i'd like to be eating. Only difference with me is that i have goals to aim for so resist these urges. People who don't tend to go right ahead and eat.)

I imagine your degree of leptin sensitivity plays a role also, since leptin has control over CCK and ghrelin i.e. some people get hungrier sooner while others get hungrier later (Ghrelin) and some people get more satieted from X amount of food, while others may get satieted from X + Y amount of food (CCK).

Inevitably, those who hunger sooner and those who need more to fill up end up eating more and have more potential of storing more.

Also, i imagine that those who fill up on less and crave less also have the faster metabolisms (although i do know of many exceptions to this rule, the bastards) and so can stay leaner much easier.

Bastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbast ardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastardsbastards...

Yanick
09-23-2002, 09:19 AM
To add to TCD's post, i saw on 20/20 a while ago a report on why fat people tend to eat more when they are allowed to eat ad libitum (which would explain why they are fat). There is a signalling system coming from the stomach to the brain telling you when you are 'full.' Fat people seem to have a delayed signalling time or something like that. I forgot what the specific hormone was called, it might've been ghrelin, but for some reason i have it in my head that it was something different.

Anyway, just something i heard...

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-23-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Yanick
To add to TCD's post, i saw on 20/20 a while ago a report on why fat people tend to eat more when they are allowed to eat ad libitum (which would explain why they are fat). There is a signalling system coming from the stomach to the brain telling you when you are 'full.' Fat people seem to have a delayed signalling time or something like that. I forgot what the specific hormone was called, it might've been ghrelin, but for some reason i have it in my head that it was something different.

Anyway, just something i heard...

Nah, ghrelin initiates hunger.

CCK is what tells your brain your stomach has had enough for the time being.

And you're also right, it's on a delay, so you can stuff yourself silly quite easy and not feel pain for a little while. just recall last christmas dinner. Oh yeah, now you remember... :D

And actual obese people have a fuc ked up Ob gene, so they don't feel leptin effects like 'normal' people do, and since leptin pretty much has control over CCK, they don't quite get the same effects from CCK. And so they never quite feel full and quite happily continue eating.

Yanick
09-23-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

Nah, ghrelin initiates hunger.

CCK is what tells your brain your stomach has had enough for the time being.

it probably was CCK, i have no idea, i didn't bother remembering the name.

And you're also right, it's on a delay, so you can stuff yourself silly quite easy and not feel pain for a little while. just recall last christmas dinner. Oh yeah, now you remember... :D

Unfortunately, i can't remember much of my christmas dinner. Let's just say, i had a TCD type night out:D

And actual obese people have a fuc ked up Ob gene, so they don't feel leptin effects like 'normal' people do, and since leptin pretty much has control over CCK, they don't quite get the same effects from CCK. And so they never quite feel full and quite happily continue eating.

I read that, although, in rats, a defective Ob gene is present, in fat people obesity is most likely caused by Leptin Resistance (like crossing the BBB, post receptor problems etc). It was in the article by Par Deus.

duque21
09-23-2002, 02:18 PM
I would have t say that it goes both ways. I dont think there is one kinda thing you cant point to, to account for it all. I see fat people who never eat, and see fat people who eat a lot. I think it is a mixture of different body chemistries and lifestyles that make up the huge differences in the way people store and expend body fat.

Yanick
09-23-2002, 02:37 PM
bottom line: inactive lifestyle coupled with overeating will make you fat*

*Certain disorders, like insulin resistance will void this statement.

09-23-2002, 09:18 PM
the different delaying of satiety is an explanation I'm satisfied with. I can believe it.

Thanks guys.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-24-2002, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Yanick

Unfortunately, i can't remember much of my christmas dinner. Let's just say, i had a TCD type night out:D

Haha.

I'd like to agree with you here, but i can't usually remember how my night outs go either...