PDA

View Full Version : Brown rice suggestions?

BennettBoy
09-23-2002, 10:37 AM
Can anyone offer a good brand of brown rice to buy that don't take so long to cook?

I just purchased the kind in a bag like regular rice (long grain).

It took me 45 minutes to cook according to directions.

Is this normal with brown rice?

NateDogg
09-23-2002, 10:40 AM
I can not remember the brand name, but I am eating some "instant" brown rice right now. I think it has the same nutrition facts as the long cooking stuff, certainly tastes the same, but it only takes 10 minutes in the microwave. Browse around for the faster cooking stuff near the pasta at your grocery store.

Jilla82
09-23-2002, 11:22 AM
just get a rice cooker. The one i have automatically shuts off when its finished cooking. You keep it on the warm setting and you just let it sit in the cooker till your finished eating all of your rice

Mik
09-23-2002, 12:02 PM
I've got Uncle Ben's brown rice in a box and it cooks in 10 minutes I believe.

millertime
09-23-2002, 12:05 PM
Place a cover on the pot, and set burner to high.

BennettBoy
09-23-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by millertime
Place a cover on the pot, and set burner to high.

I did it like this, 2.5 cups water, 1 cup rice, small amt. salt. I brought it to a boil, reduced heat, added cover and let simmer for until water was cooked down or close to 45 minutes. Maybe another brand is worth checking into. Otherwise, my electricity bill is going to increase real soon:eek:

Maki Riddington
09-23-2002, 12:27 PM
Lol. That's all I have to say about that.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-23-2002, 01:04 PM
Boil the water in a kettle first.

Then pour onto the rice and put on the stove.

Brown rice generally takes 20 minutes from boiling point.

Yanick
09-23-2002, 01:42 PM
Brown Rice is a bitch. I always either under-cook it or over-cook it. I stick to oatmeal:cool:, it's pretty nasty but then again so is brown rice.

bradley
09-23-2002, 01:47 PM
You can get the boil in bag brown rice and it takes about 10 minutes to cook. After cooking just cut ope n the bag(s) and throw the rice into some tupperware and put in the fridge. I also have a rice cooker that you use to cook rice in the microwave. I am not sure who makes it but you should be able to find one in a store that sells cooking ware. As far as the rice cooker goes it is hard to get the rice just right, either over or under cooked.

Marcel
09-23-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Yanick
Brown Rice is a bitch. I always either under-cook it or over-cook it. I stick to oatmeal:cool:, it's pretty nasty but then again so is brown rice.

:nod:

Stevia and cinammon help(oatmeal taste) but it's still nasty. :D