PDA

View Full Version : most effective way of losing fat

perfecto
09-24-2002, 12:35 AM
Today is my first day on this forum and i just wanted to start off by asking what you all think is the best way of losing about 10kg of fat. Now i know everyone is gonna say a combination of a good diet and cardio, but what exactly?
Does anyone have any links to great fat losing programs which include both diets and exercises?

Thanx people ;)

duque21
09-24-2002, 02:05 AM
Hey, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I will look up some good links for you.

The golden rule is = Burn more calories than you consume

if you do that then you will lose weight, if you dont you wont loose weight, it is that simple.

YatesNightBlade
09-24-2002, 02:49 AM
Morning cardio on a empty stomach ;)

Kromax
09-24-2002, 04:29 AM
:withstupi

BennettBoy
09-24-2002, 07:44 AM
Yep, I'm also with Yates.

I have never really had to cut since I started bodybuilding. I do think more is made of it than should be. Folks want to completely eliminate carbs from their diet to lose down, etc.

When I have to start cutting, I plan to allow myself enough time (before a contest) so that I can start out by cutting calories 200 or so a day and slowly lose bodyfat by still eating with like a 40/40/20 (or something close to that) macro makeup. Hopefully, doing it slowly over time and continuing to eat a sound diet with plenty of protein will help me keep my muscle.

Simply put though:

1) cut carbs to a degree and increase your protein intake.
2) keep fat around 20 % of your total calories
3) do cardio on empty stomach first thing in morning.
4) do not alter your lifting......train HEAVY and focus on compound movements.

FuriousFerret
09-24-2002, 07:49 AM
I think morning cardio helps alot, but also eating less to no carbs in the evening is also another great way to lose weight without it effecting mass.

perfecto
09-24-2002, 09:03 AM
Thanx dudes this stuff makes sense but ill tell you my exact situation.

Basicly i havnt trained for about a year, since finishing school. And through that time i really let myself go, smoking, drinking, sleeping and eating poorly and unhealthy.

Through the year ive lost most my muscle and anything i ever had and came a point where i felt so unhealthy that i thought sh1t this has to stop. So basicly that time is now, where im super keen to get back into the gym and concentrate on diet and cardio for a few months and then move into weights after i get healthy again.

Any suggestions?

BennettBoy
09-24-2002, 09:18 AM
Bro, don't wait to hit the weights months after dieting. START NOW!!! As you lift and eat properly, you will start putting on some lean muscle. This will help to speed up your metabolism and also as you put that muscle on you will burn fat more effeciently.

Lift now.....not later.

perfecto
09-24-2002, 09:23 AM
Thats sweet i will probs do that but i dunno where to begin with weights, i havnt done it in so long and im sure im shi1t weak now. I know there are so many different workout programs and routines that i dont really know which one to choose. What would you suggest as a good weights and cardio program?

entrrt
09-24-2002, 09:30 AM
exrx.net is an excellent site to start a program. i'd recommend checking it out.

BennettBoy
09-24-2002, 09:41 AM
Something you could do would be like a full-body routine 2 times a week for the first couple of months until you get back into the flow of things. You could select from the following movements:

Squat
Bench press
Barbell rows
Military press
Dips
Chins
Leg Press
Barbell curls
Skullcrushers
Deadlifts

These are just some good compound movements to incorporate into full-body workouts. You don't need all of them. Choose 6 or so you like and make sure you choose a combination that will work you legs, back, chest and shoulders. You could do one set for biceps and triceps if you want.

As for cardio:

Just do whatever you like first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Choose from jogging, jumping rope, treadmill, stair climbers, etc. Just give a great effort for 30-40 minutes......high intensity.

Now for dieting, you will just have to play around with that. I'd just suggest drinking 1-2 gallons of water a day, eliminating ALL junk food, sodas, sweets.

Put these on your grocery list instead:

lean steak
eggs
chicken breasts
oatmeal
brown rice
turkey
lentils
nuts
whole wheat bread
skim milk
veggies
fish

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

Now get started.

perfecto
09-24-2002, 09:46 AM
Thanx brother thats excatly what i needed!

Now back to writing my uni report!

Catch ya later :)

perfecto
09-24-2002, 10:00 AM
sorry one more question for tonight!

When everyone says cardio first thing in the morning, is it just because first thing in the morning you havnt eaten and you burn fats instead of carbs and sh1t or is it just because you have woken up. I mean im saying this because im usually not an early waker and i never eat breakfast so would it be allright if i say woke up, didnt eat, and then 1 or 2 hours later went for a workout?

Does that make sense?

Moose
09-24-2002, 10:16 AM
on an empty stomach............do I eat as soon as I'm done? or do i wait a little while after my cardio?

BennettBoy
09-24-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Moose
on an empty stomach............do I eat as soon as I'm done? or do i wait a little while after my cardio?

If it were me, I would drink either a MRP or intake some whey protein right after doing the cardio......along with getting about 75 grams of simple carbs (dextrose). Then I would eat about 1 hour after that getting a good meal like some egg whites, oatmeal, etc.

Since I've never really done cardio, someone else might be able to tell you better than me. But, I would do cardio on days I didn't lift as well. If that isn't possible....try to keep the 2 spread 8 hours apart or so.

bradley
09-24-2002, 02:01 PM
Bennett Boy is right. I would do cardio first thing in the morning, then down a protien shake w/simple carbs immediately after completing cardio. About 45-60 minutes later eat a whole food meal. I don't recommend waiting 2 hours then doing cardio on an empty stomach. The faster you get the cardio done the faster your body will be able to get some nutrients. Remeber you haven't eaten all night. Good luck

Yanick
09-24-2002, 02:24 PM
Morning Cardio (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20073)