PDA

View Full Version : Bulk to easily.

Shark
09-24-2002, 12:21 PM
My problem is simply this: All I have to do to gain weight is eat anyhting above my maintenance calories. Now that sounds totally stupid but I'm serious. If I am not dieting, I will gain weight so fast it would make your head spin. I can put on 10 pounds in 2 weeks like its nothing. While some people might love to gain that much weight easily, for me its a curse. The real issue here is that putting on weight is nothing for me, but taking it off is a nightmare. Does this mean I have an extremely slow metabolism? Do any of you have suggestions as to what if anything I can do to change this. I've counted calories, done keto, used fat burners, all of that. I have used several very solid wieght programs and exercise regularly. I'm not a begginner at this, but i kind of want to know if other people have this same problem as me and what they do other than work really hard. Thanks.

Yanick
09-24-2002, 12:45 PM
Make up a set meal plan (Meal 1:tuna..Meal 2:whey....etc etc), then adjust the cals so you gain about 1lb/week.

Shark
09-24-2002, 02:33 PM
That's the funny part. While I have set up meal plans before and posted them here, i find that eating anything, and i mean like 100 cals over my maintenance will cause me to gain more than a pound a week. I can easily gain 5 pounds a week, although I'm not sure how long i could do that for. I have heard of a theory where after someone loses a lot of weight their body wants to return to where it feels comfortable so to speak. I lost a lot of weight over a long period of time (1+ year) and now have decided that i want to put on a bit more lean mass. Thing is, as soon as I started eating (about a week and a half ago) I started gaining lots of weight. I was down to as low as about 207, and now I am up to about 215-217. To me, that seems like way to much weight. If I keep this up, all the wieght I lost is just gonna come back.

galileo
09-24-2002, 02:45 PM
If that's true then eat 50 calories more and see where you are. I honestly think it's a water retention thing.

Shark
09-24-2002, 07:55 PM
So what your saying is that maybe when I was 207 my body was not retainging a lot of water, and now that I'm eating and drinking more since I'm lifitng again my body is hold a lot more? That would account for the sudden weight gain. Thing is, this always happens, and the gains will keep coming.

Yanick
09-24-2002, 08:02 PM
Were you low carbing to lose weight?

It can be 1 of 2 things.

Either your cals are too high, it's physiologically impossible to gain so much fat in 1.5 weeks on a 100cal/day surplus. 1lb of fat=3500cals, 100x10=1000cals, that would give you less than 1/3 of a lb of fat. Thats assuming that your muscle tissue is completely insulin resistant and recieves NONE of those cals.

Its most likely water weight. Such a sudden rise/drop in BW can only be attested to water.

Shark
09-25-2002, 09:50 AM
I was low carbing to lose weight. I think water does has a lot to do with it, but i was drinking a lot of water while i was cutting. Perhaps when I hit that 207 mark I was really like 210 with no water in my system.

Yanick
09-25-2002, 10:03 AM
My friday morning weight, before my refeed this week was 172.4 the monday after the re-feed my weight was 176, and i was slacking on my re-feed this week. You can easily see weight gain of about 8-10 lbs after depleting and loading with carbs.

Give yourself a few weeks for the water weight to stabilize, pick 1 day of the week and weigh yourself 1x/week in the morning. Adjust calories as needed so you gain about .5-1.5lbs/week.

galileo
09-25-2002, 10:11 AM
You can lose about 10lbs of glycogen on a low-carb diet. I was 188 and went to 172 in a few weeks. When I stopped I jumped back to 182.

I think you have a water weight issue. Just start slowly increasing calories. If it's too much, back off. Make intelligent decisions about your diet and you'll be fine :)

raniali
09-25-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by galileo
You can lose about 10lbs of glycogen on a low-carb diet. I was 188 and went to 172 in a few weeks. When I stopped I jumped back to 182.

I currently do my own CKD and my weight can fluctuate up to 8 pounds in 4 days. Don't put too much faith in the scale ... go by what you look like and maybe do some basic measurements to see if a "true" weight gain has been made.

Yanick
09-25-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by galileo

I think you have a water weight issue. Just start slowly increasing calories. If it's too much, back off. Make intelligent decisions about your diet and you'll be fine :)

Not all of those lbs are glycogen. For every gram of glycogen your body stores ~2.7g of water.