PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Body building

Trunks
09-24-2002, 03:13 PM
I currently weigh about 130 pounds and i am vegetarian. I currently bulking on about 70g+ protein a day. I've gained about 7 pounds or so in just over 2 months. My question is are there many other vegetarians on this forum and what are your experiences?:help:

Stray
09-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Do you eat dairy products? Also are all kinds of meat sworn off (i.e. fish)?

DelveyBoy
09-24-2002, 03:52 PM
try quorn or tvp.they have high protein values and they dont taste that bad.im not vegetarian but my bro is,so my mum makes alot of vegetarian meals which i like 2 try

2 RIP
09-24-2002, 06:00 PM
you can also chk out www.bodybuilding.com

Trunks
09-25-2002, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm strict vegetarian, so no fish or animal bi-products. I get annoyed sometimes when people seem to think that you can't body build on a veggie diet. They always say "get some steak eaten" etc. I loooove quorn and chickpeas and all those high protein foods. Any vegans here as well?

I will prove everyone wrong by acheiveing the pinnacle of my strength and size! :cool:

Trunks
09-25-2002, 06:26 AM
By the way i do eat dairy. I drink milkshakes that are formulated for people on a diet. They contain 15g protein and 30 g of carbs, but i have these in addition to my main meals. Thanks for that link, 2 RIP, i'll have a good browse later!

Franjipani
09-25-2002, 06:55 AM
Hey Trunks,

I am Vegan. I have recently reintroduced fish back into my diet but.... I don't eat dairy. My protein consists of heaps of brocolli, soy protein drinks with rice milk or soy, lots of tofu & almonds:D.

What is your diet like?

Trunks
09-25-2002, 08:37 AM
Breakfast - cereal, cup of tea
lunch - cheese, chickpeas, quorn slices, soup (or a combination of them)
Dinner - various but usually with carots, peas and lots of potatoes / mash
i also drink 3 supplement shakes a day (45g protien, 90g carbos)
I'd say i need to eat more fruit and veg and drink water more often.

ElPietro
09-25-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Trunks
I'm strict vegetarian, so no fish or animal bi-products.

Isn't dairy an animal bi-product?

hemants
09-25-2002, 08:59 AM
I'm a lacto ovo veggie and I'm in the process of a cutting phase. So far I've lost 20lbs or so with no loss in strength. I look and feel great and can finally do chinups.

www.vegsource.com has a forum under atheletes with some interesting info although they tend to be into the combat conditioning pavel t type stuff.

There's no reason to believe that you can't gain lean mass on a vegetarian diet. Admittedly, I personally would find it very challenging on a vegan diet but with dairy and eggs it's a non-issue.

You may find that the larger you get, the more protein per pound of bodyweight you need.

Stick around, learn from the many knowledgeable people here, and realize that a bodybuilding forum isn't necessarily the best place to solicit support for ethical issues surrounding vegetarianism :)

Trunks
09-25-2002, 09:04 AM
When i say bi-products i mean things like gelatine, animal fats, animal rennet, beff/chicken stock etc. Ethics aren't the only thing though, i feel generally much healthier since going veggie.
Anyway enough with ethics and such, i'm off to train:strong:

hemants
09-25-2002, 09:07 AM
In that case make friends with a good cheap whey protein powder for post workout. An easy and effective way to add 45g of protein to your diet when you need it most.

marvi
09-25-2002, 09:16 AM
I am also a vegetarian, here is what I have come up with;

meal 1 - 2 egg white, one whole egg, 1 slice of yves non daily cheese, 2 tbls of peanut butter, 2 tbls of flax seed oil, 1 glass of soy milk

Meal 2- 4 slices of yves's veggie cold cuts 9they have manu types, i vary them

Meal 3 - veggie chicken cutlet or veggie steack (made from seitan), veggies(broc. or mushrooms), ricotta cheese and oil oil

Meal 4- Meal 2- 4 slices of yves's veggie cold cuts 9they have manu types, i vary them

Meal five - Veggie burger( I buy 3 or four different types ) or seitan with oil, 2 tbls of peanut butter

Post work-out - protein shake(50g of protein/ 30g of carbs

I am pretty happy with it.

Marvi

Franjipani
09-25-2002, 07:49 PM
I prefer going more natural vege & fruits myself.... All those "meat substitutes" are so terribly high in fat.... can only take vege burgers in small doses - I prefer my fats to come from raw nuts & olive oil etc....

Vegesource is a good website and I have a few others that I look at to give me a bit of variety - let me know if interested....For now though, am concentrating on interesting ways to eat tuna:D.

Eat & Enjoy !

Tryska
09-26-2002, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani
Hey Trunks,

I am Vegan. I have recently reintroduced fish back into my diet but.... I don't eat dairy. My protein consists of heaps of brocolli, soy protein drinks with rice milk or soy, lots of tofu & almonds:D.

What is your diet like?

*lol* disregard my question in another thread.