PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to use flax oil?

Mystic Eric
09-24-2002, 04:36 PM
I got me self a bottle of flax. It's the complete kind with 3's, 6's, and 9's. I was wondering what the best way to use this stuff was? I know post work out is not a good idea, neither is using it for cooking, so what do you guys use it with?

galileo
09-24-2002, 04:39 PM
I got a shot glass from cancun. I put it on a food scale and measure out how much I wanna take with my meal.

3 of my 6 meals include flax. The other 3 include almonds, natty PB, or sunflower seeds.

Blood&Iron
09-24-2002, 04:48 PM
Best way to use flax?

Take it back to the store and exchange it for fish oil.

Mystic Eric
09-24-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron
Best way to use flax?

Take it back to the store and exchange it for fish oil.

Why? :(

Blood&Iron
09-24-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric

Why? :(
Well, most people already have ridiculously high levels of n-6's in their diets. n-3's on the other hand are quite scarce in most people's diets(Although, you live in Canada, so maybe you've been hanging around with the Inuit and gnawing on whale blubber, in which case you have plenty of n-3's in your diet) Flax contains alpha-linoleic acid, which while an n-3 must be converted via delta-6 desaturase enzyme(I think that's the one anyways) to DHA and EPA before it exerts any positive effects, but the conversion process is very inefficient. Further, flax is quite high in n-6's, which as mentioned previously is not something you should be supplementing with. Taking n-3's directly(i.e. using fish oil) is much better choice.

BennettBoy
09-24-2002, 06:29 PM

Well, most people already have ridiculously high levels of n-6's in their diets. n-3's on the other hand are quite scarce in most people's diets(Although, you live in Canada, so maybe you've been hanging around with the Inuit and gnawing on whale blubber, in which case you have plenty of n-3's in your diet) Flax contains alpha-linoleic acid, which while an n-3 must be converted via delta-6 desaturase enzyme(I think that's the one anyways) to DHA and EPA before it exerts any positive effects, but the conversion process is very inefficient. Further, flax is quite high in n-6's, which as mentioned previously is not something you should be supplementing with. Taking n-3's directly(i.e. using fish oil) is much better choice.

:bang: I'll probably never reach my full potential because I dunno....I just don't want to make it as complicated as some of this **** sounds. ARGH!!!

Yanick
09-24-2002, 07:58 PM
Step 1: Open the bottle.
Step 2: Pour flax into a table spoon.
Step 3: Open mouth.
Step 4: Put spoon in mouth.
Step 5: Close mouth, being extra careful to not bite the spoon too hard.
Step 6: Pull spoon out of mouth, while simultaneously keeping lips together.
Step 7: Swallow flax.
Repeat steps 2-7 as needed.

Savannah
09-24-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by BennettBoy

:bang: I'll probably never reach my full potential because I dunno....I just don't want to make it as complicated as some of this **** sounds. ARGH!!!

AAAAaahahhahahaha I lmao at this BennettBoy, but I am with you on this one as well.

DaCypher
09-24-2002, 11:13 PM
What else contains omega6 fats? And what about the 9s? Or are those in like everything?

Franjipani
09-25-2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric
I know post work out is not a good idea

I love putting it in my protein shake with nana & strawberries:D .

Why is it not good post work out:confused:

bradley
09-25-2002, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

Fat slows the digestive process down, which is not ideal post workout.

Mystic Eric
09-25-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

Well I think theoretically, when you use a quick carb you're shuttling those nutrients (protein) as quickly as you can into your cells. And if fats in the mix, you supposibly shuttle in the fat in your cells as well. Or so that's what I've heard.

Mystic Eric
09-25-2002, 03:10 AM

Ah but i got the Udo's brand!

It has a ratio of 2:1:1 of Omega 3, omega 6, and omega 9 :D

Franjipani
09-25-2002, 03:13 AM
Yep, makes perfect sense....

Cheers for that Bradley & Mr Hug Demon;).

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-25-2002, 04:43 AM
whether you take in fat post workout is dependant upon the type of diet you're practising, what your goals are, and whether you bother with a special post workout concoction in the first place. There's a couple of guys at my gym who just eat 6-7 straight meals a day and don't bother with any special kinda post workout shake. Thye just leave the gym, go home and get on with the next scheduled meal. They look good. Albeit, they're not ripped or anything, but i think that's more to do with the fact that they're not overly bothered about abs or the like. They focus more on size and strength.

09-25-2002, 05:25 AM

if the n-3s in flax oil are inneffective at being converted to DHA and EPA, what is happening to it?

Blood&Iron
09-25-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Avatar

if the n-3s in flax oil are inneffective at being converted to DHA and EPA, what is happening to it?
Read this:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=Xns91D5D1CECAB68b9pjnc001sneakemailc%40130.133.1.4&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DEFA%27s%2Bgroup:misc.fitness.weights%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3DXns91D5D1CECAB68b9pjnc001sneakemailc%2540130.133.1.4%26rnum%3D3