PDA

View Full Version : MeatFest is here again...with a question.

galileo
09-25-2002, 10:20 AM
This weekend is the annual "MeatFest." I'd love to pretend it's not there since I'm on my cut and all, but I'm gonna have to go. Essentially we have ridiculous amounts of red meat and chicken and we grill all day and it's a giant party.

My question: We have lots of chicken wings and a deep fryer. What's the best (healthiest, tastiest, etc) oil to cook in? Peanut oil tastes great (think Chik-Fil-A) but what is the healthiest?

thanks!

Relentless
09-25-2002, 10:28 AM
olive oil?

galileo
09-25-2002, 10:40 AM
Can you deep fry with Olive Oil? I wasn't sure how that'd work out. I'm pretty new to the whole deep frying experience.

Yanick
09-25-2002, 10:53 AM
Some type of oil that DOESN'T have EFA's. They break down into Trans Fatty Acids and a bunch of other toxic crap. Something like Olive Oil, or some type of saturated fatty acid because they are stable at higher temperatures.

Stray
09-26-2002, 07:33 AM
Meatfest lol.

Dr. Spock is rolling over in his grave...

Tryska
09-26-2002, 07:40 AM
canola.

and what's wrong with meat? your cutting. it's protein. your grilling. i fail to see an issue here.

galileo
09-26-2002, 07:48 AM
Well since the point of meatfest is to get a drunk as humanly possible and eat a plethora of meats all day long, I'm going to guess this is a "cheat" day ;) I'm sure the 3-day marinade won't do much good for me either.

I'm going to try to limit my alcohol through the pretend method. While I'm helping to grill I will be holding a beer and I'll try to hold that same beer for a long time. Then when we play "boat races" I'll only play one round. If we get a PA and recording system I'll be recording the "boat races" theme song and maybe me singing some songs acoustic-like.

Tryska
09-26-2002, 07:51 AM
you could always alternate beer and water.

that wya you get to stay adequately hydrated, always have soemthing in your hand, cut down on alchol consumptions, and still don't have to worry about peer pressure as you can tell your posse that this is your new secret trick for avoiding hangovers. ;)

galileo
09-26-2002, 07:58 AM
My actual secret to avoiding hangovers is my "secret" drink.

I call it....*drum roll* The Child Molestor.
3oz Vodka
8oz Grape Pedialite

Keeps your electrolytes up and your inhibitions down. I came up with this badboy on the way to Pimlico last year for Preakness. The name may irritate some, but it's oh-so-good.

Tryska
09-26-2002, 08:03 AM
that is a dirty little secret, isn't it?

galileo
09-26-2002, 08:08 AM
What are you inferring?

Tryska
09-26-2002, 08:09 AM
i don't really know.

just that you have a dirty little secret i think. and it's called a child molester.

galileo
09-26-2002, 08:20 AM
:) Everyone should have one @ least once.