PDA

View Full Version : Too much sodium in a high protein diet?

jubai
09-25-2002, 03:56 PM
Hey guys, I try to eat a lot of low-fat, high protein meals. However, I've realized that a lot of things I eat are high in sodium. Things like cottage cheese, canned chicken, salmon or other fishes etc. Proteins are good but salt is very bad in the long term...

So I would like to know what do you guys eat that is high in protein but low in sodium :)

Tx

raniali
09-25-2002, 06:07 PM
egg whites
fresh chicken
steak
low-sodium canned tuna
protein powders

Shao-LiN
09-25-2002, 06:58 PM
Eating clean, sodium is really pretty minimal.

duque21
09-25-2002, 11:10 PM
Yeah if you eat clean like Shao-Lin said, you should have no prob's with the sodium levels.

YatesNightBlade
09-26-2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by raniali
egg whites
fresh chicken
steak
low-sodium canned tuna
protein powders

yes yes yes yes.

Aviod canned stuff where possible. Although you do need some sodium in your diet.

Puttn
09-26-2002, 05:29 AM
i thought i had too much sodium but you gotta realize when you up your daily calories your daily needs go up as well.... plus if your drinking a lot of water then your flushing some excess out..

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-26-2002, 06:30 AM
Why are you eating low fat, Jubai?

jubai
09-26-2002, 05:33 PM
because I have too much fat on me :D

I've lost about 7-8 pounds in the last 4 months just by watching my diet, and gained some muscle, so I look a lot better now. I'm 5'11, 166lbs (been training seriously for a year). I'm not ripped by all means, but I'm getting there slowly. It's hard to have nice abs when there's half an inch of fat on them... :)

Shao-LiN
09-26-2002, 05:56 PM
Eating fat does not mean it will turn into fat in your body. In fact, if you want your body to burn your present body fat, a healthy amount of EFAs is necessary.

jubai
09-26-2002, 08:39 PM
well eating triple-creamed cheese, french fries and mayonnaise certainly won't help my diet. Since I've stopped eating extra-fat stuff like that to eat only low to moderately fat food, I've lost some weight. I've had a belly since I was 5, so I don't have good genetics... The fat and extra calories I eat are easily stored :(

What are EFAs? Never heard about them :confused:

duque21
09-26-2002, 08:43 PM
EFA's are "Essential Fatty Acids" they are crucial to your bodys ability to metabolize stored fat into energy.

I recomend Salmon oil gell caps. I would say its the best source for yoru Omega 3 fatty acids plus they are super high in DHA, and EPA......also they are loaded with vitamin E with is a powerful antioxidant.

jubai
09-26-2002, 08:54 PM
now that sounds like a great idea. I'm gonna check it out :)